Weight Loss Support - There Is Such A Thing As TOO Much Pep

wednesdaymorning
07-30-2009, 09:55 PM
I just got back from working out at Curves. Recently, because they're short-staffed, the manager has been working afternoons (when I go in). Now, she's not a mean lady or a ***** by any means, but she makes me not want to go in when she's there.

She acts like a personal trainer. Now, I don't know if you are all familiar with Curves, but it's a series of machines that go in a loop and you do the loop twice. Once you know how to use the machines, you're good to go. Nowhere in my contract does it say the Curves staff will take it upon themselves to be my personal ****.

She never stops watching you and telling you to "GO! GO! GO! Yeah! Whoo! Put your arms up! Do that faster! Bend your knees more! Don't work so hard on that one! Keep your heart rate lower! You're working too hard!" I'm not kidding, she's never satisfied. I understand that she's trying to encourage all of us to try our hardest and do our best, but I hate that she's always watching me. I hate it so much. And the screams and cheers all the time. My GOD. I hate to say it, but she's like a cracked-up cheerleader. She even separated my sister and I so we could be one station away and monitored our conversation. It was kind of ridiculous. I like to enjoy my time at the gym and push myself exactly as hard as I know I can go. I didn't sign up for a bootcamp.

Am I crazy? Or does anyone else agree with me that there is such a thing as TOO MUCH PEP?

Onederchic
07-30-2009, 09:59 PM
I just got back from working out at Curves. Recently, because they're short-staffed, the manager has been working afternoons (when I go in). Now, she's not a mean lady or a ***** by any means, but she makes me not want to go in when she's there.

She acts like a personal trainer. Now, I don't know if you are all familiar with Curves, but it's a series of machines that go in a loop and you do the loop twice. Once you know how to use the machines, you're good to go. Nowhere in my contract does it say the Curves staff will take it upon themselves to be my personal ****.

She never stops watching you and telling you to "GO! GO! GO! Yeah! Whoo! Put your arms up! Do that faster! Bend your knees more! Don't work so hard on that one! Keep your heart rate lower! You're working too hard!" I'm not kidding, she's never satisfied. I understand that she's trying to encourage all of us to try our hardest and do our best, but I hate that she's always watching me. I hate it so much. And the screams and cheers all the time. My GOD. I hate to say it, but she's like a cracked-up cheerleader. She even separated my sister and I so we could be one station away and monitored our conversation. It was kind of ridiculous. I like to enjoy my time at the gym and push myself exactly as hard as I know I can go. I didn't sign up for a bootcamp.

Am I crazy? Or does anyone else agree with me that there is such a thing as TOO MUCH PEP?

That part cracked me up :rofl:

But on the more serious side, yes it does seem a bit extreme and I hope she calms down soon :hug:

Aclai4067
07-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Maybe tell her: I appreciate the support but I'm not a peppy workout kind of girl. I'd like to workout more privately and talk to my sister.

What's she going to do? Kick you out?

EveLHaelf
07-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Wow that DOES sound a bit extreme. Separating you and your sister and monitoring the conversation?! lol CRAZY! I think someone likes their job a bit too much :p

But don't let that silly woman deter you from your workout plans. :D

mags
07-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Jeez, how annoying. I'd be uncomfortable saying anything to her directly--maybe because she sounds a little, uh, unhinged. Does she have an assistant or anything who you could talk to who could pass something along to her without naming names?

CountingDown
07-30-2009, 10:15 PM
You need to bring music and earbuds. Tune her OUT. That would annoy me enough that I would not renew my membership.

I am my own best cheerleader and I know exactly how fast or slow I want to move.

If she doesn't quit, you may want to politely say something to her.

DCHound
07-30-2009, 10:18 PM
iPod!

EveLHaelf
07-30-2009, 10:30 PM
I wish you the best with that situation! I hate confrontations so I probably would never say anything to that woman and end up going to a different gym, lol.

Jinx
07-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Omg- she sounds like the guy that stands at the red light selling newspapers on my way home from work every morning, he is so annoying. I have started taking a longer way home just to avoid him. The poor guy, he is out there rain or shine for 8-12 hours 6-7 days a week selling papers. We call him the newpaper stalker. He makes sad faces and points at you to try and get you to buy a paper.
I think if I were you since it may be hard to avoid her you are going to haft to go over her head, there has to be someone that can tell her to tone it down, she sounds like Tony Little on those infomercials.

mamaspank
07-30-2009, 10:49 PM
I would absolutely start going to another gym. It doesn't sound like she is going anywhere. I don't think I would have the guts to say anything right now. I definitely would have said something after she separated the two of you though.

Madison
07-30-2009, 11:06 PM
I left a gym bcos of that!!!!!!!!!! ha!! I like to be left alone when I am working out as its about me me me me meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and a place I used to go too they were TOOOOOOOOOOOO hands on and offering unsolicited advice. I just didnt care for it.

So I understand completely that sometimes you want to slap the pep out of someone :D

amynbebes
07-30-2009, 11:08 PM
That just wouldn't work with me at all. Yuck.

Onederchic
07-30-2009, 11:17 PM
I left a gym bcos of that!!!!!!!!!! ha!! I like to be left alone when I am working out as its about me me me me meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and a place I used to go too they were TOOOOOOOOOOOO hands on and offering unsolicited advice. I just didnt care for it.

So I understand completely that sometimes you want to slap the pep out of someone :D

:rofl:

Beck
07-30-2009, 11:55 PM
That would seriously grate on my nerves. I'd try to talk to her and tell her you appreciate her efforts to cheer you on, but that you find it better for you to concentrate on your own inner pep talks to keep you going.

Good luck.

HungryHungryHippo
07-31-2009, 12:06 AM
That sounds way annoying!

Aclai4067
07-31-2009, 12:54 AM
Does the gym have a suggestion box? That would be a possible non-confrontational way to give her feedback.

It's so weird, every gym I've ever gone to disrupting someone's workout is a huge no-no. The Gold's I went to in high school even had signs saying not to disturb the other patrons.

wednesdaymorning
07-31-2009, 06:20 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

1. Thanks for enjoying my "cracked-up cheerleader" comment. :) Haha.

2. This is the closest Curves to my house, it's within biking distance and I really love it. So I just can't go to another one. :(

3. I'm not good with confrontations, either, but I can be kind of rude. When she tries to talk to me, I just say "uh huh" and keep doing it the way I was doing it. I think I know the machines well enough to not hurt myself. It's not a solution, but it's what I do.

4. Sadly, there isn't a suggestion box or anything like that, because I would be all over that. My brother-in-law keeps telling me I should make a suggestion box and tell her she's a *****. Not how I'd go about it, but yeah.

5. As for co-workers, all the women that did work there have left because they were only temporary and now she's hiring new people. I doubt these new people will be comfortable enough to talk to her any time soon.

I just can't wait until she goes back to working mornings and I can work out the way I want to work out. Oh! And, as for the iPod idea, I love that idea a lot, but there are two problems with that: 1. I have to be listening to the recording over the intercom saying "Please move to the next station." Which, if other people are there, I could just follow them, but I'm alone a lot. 2. I don't think even that would stop her.

I think I'll probably keep being quiet about it and just ignoring her, but, eventually I'll blow up in her face. That's how I roll.

My sister, on the other hand, is super nice to compenstate for my *****iness. Such an ordeal.

And, I know, it's a really weird situation because I, too, have always known gyms to leave you alone once they've trained you and are no longer liable for your idiocy. It's part of the job discription as far as she goes for hiring people to be super peppy and cheery. I hope she doesn't hire more clones of her.

Pita09
07-31-2009, 07:27 AM
When I was at Curve I had a woman that would do the very same thing to people. I hated it and finally had to bite the bullet and tell her that I really like working out at my own speed and pace. The other girls I had trained that I didn't need a babysitter standing over me, but this woman took her job wayyyy to seriously. You might have to tell her. Confrontation is hard and not many like to do it, but trust me it will be worth it, and you will be much happier in the end. It might even give you the courage you need to confront other issues in your life. ;)

dutchgirl
07-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Aren't you paying good money for working out there?
I would think that this would entitle you to ask for a client-friendly environment and in your case that means you want to be left alone.
You are completely within your rights to ask her to not interfere with your workout.

JayEll
07-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Curves isn't a place where you go to work out on your own. I like the concept of Curves, but the reality can be somewhat disappointing.

I went to one Curves initially where it was a constant rah-rah like that, only the woman doing it was the co-owner. Also, everyone talked really loud all the time to each other, so that you couldn't even hear "Please move to the next station." It's like it was one big girlie party. I complained to the owners, and was basically told "This is how we like it." Oh, OK. I changed to another Curves.

At the new Curves, there was one employee who was also rah-rah, but come to find out that that's how they tell employees to be. They really are supposed to be cheerleaders.

I stopped going to Curves because those hydraulic machines gave me bursitis. They refunded part of my membership. I got a membership at the YMCA instead where I could use "real" weights.

Sorry about the "peppy" business... but just try to avoid that woman if you can. She may not last long anyway.

Jay

thisisnotatest
07-31-2009, 08:01 AM
I always find it interesting how far people (well, woman mostly-sad, but true) will go to avoid a confrontation. Even a simple one such as this one. I say simple since there are much worse confrontation things to have to deal with in life, like being yelled at in the street, being attacked, getting into a car accident, having to fire an employee, give a bad performance review, etc.

Think off all the time you are spending discussing this problem with your friends, family, and this board.
This is obviously something that is really bothering you. If you find its worth your time to keep dwelling on it, then keep going as you are.

Another way, just simply say to the woman (in private-never in public, an audience would be rude), "I hope you don't mind, but I will be working at my own pace today. I just wanted to let you know in advance, so you wouldn't think I was being rude if I didn't follow your instruction."
It is possible that she will continue-we can't always make people do what we want.
But trust me, the anxiety will just wash away and I bet you will only find her half as annoying as before.
Then just plug in the ipod (they don't nec need to be on, and if they are, a person can usually hear announcements with ear buds in)

I recommend a book called crucial conversations.and crucial confrontations.

Tomato
07-31-2009, 10:04 AM
I personally believe that Curves is a prime example of how a gym should NOT look like.

Why didn't you approach the manager and tell her firmly that you do not appreciate her "motivation"? Ask her to leave you out of it or that you will cancel the membership. I don't understand why you endure such treatment if you don't have to? You are not in the army and it's not a drill. You are working out in your leisure time and if her watching your every move and making comments leaves you frustrated, the work out are defeating their purpose. Just tell her to to shut up.

kiramira
07-31-2009, 10:27 AM
You might just practice saying in front of a mirror:

"I appreciate that you want me to work really really hard today and that you are trying to motivate me. But I prefer to work at my own pace. SO I appreciate your interest but I'll be working on my own today. Thanks for understanding". Then pop on your earbuds or earphones without giving her much of a chance to respond. Then do your workout and don't make eye contact with her, because you'll be focussing on yourself. Without a willing audience, I'll bet she'll move on to the next person fairly quickly.

You have to practice this to get comfortable with saying it, and this will let you address the situation without blowing up or getting angry. And once what you want to say is second-nature, you'll find it rolling off your tongue without any effort at all when you need it!

Oh, and you don't even need an iPod, just the ear buds with the free end tucked in somewheres, so it looks like you have an iPod. This will do the trick, too! :D

Kira

JayEll
07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
People don't wear iPods in Curves--at least that I recall--because the workout is done to the Curves workout tapes that are played into the room and that tell you when to move to the next station. So unless things have changed, and people do wear their own music players, I don't think it's an option...

Jay

Aclai4067
07-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Wow. This has all satisfied any curiousity I might ever have about Curves. Not my kind of gym! I've gone to Gold's (good except no pool), Crunch/Bally's (nice facility, dishonest staff, ripped me off), Ga State University Student Rec Center (worked there and worked out there, love it, If I lived closer I'd never go anywhere else!), Just recently started at the YMCA (price is right, so far so good)

cammieb
07-31-2009, 03:49 PM
LOL! This reminds me of going to processing at MEPS and having to do all these strange exercises for the nurse and she was just like that. It was so annoying, but I was way too stressed about passing the physical to say anything. Plus, it's the military so I kind of expected it. You, hoever, are not in the military and I think you should tell her so. She sounds like the kind of person that won't get it until you put it bluntly. Kiramira's way of saying it is good without being rude.

wednesdaymorning
08-01-2009, 06:53 AM
The thing is, I used to go to a place very similar to Curves. It was called "Slender Lady" and the woman who owned it was wonderful, I never had a problem, and I lost 70 pounds. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. That place went out of business, and Curves is basically the same thing, except there are more stations and you go around twice. It's working as of now, and I know if I quit I'll never recover or get back into it. Plus, that's fifty dollars.

Anyway, I'm moving in three months and I'll be going to a new Curves. Hopefully with a better staff. So what's the point in dealing with her, right? Maybe I'll buck up and say something.

Thanks guys. Weird that you've all had similar issues. Or that you've never heard of such a thing. Haha.