Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Soy milk vs. regular

View Full Version : Soy milk vs. regular

MindiV
07-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I had a quart of Soy milk in my hand the other day, wanting to try it rather than my normal gallon of 2%.

Who else has made a switch, and why? What are the benefits to soy milk over 2%, if any? How does the taste compare? Any, uh, "stomach" issues while you were switching?

WormwoodDoll
07-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm lactose-intolerant (mildly). I generally use fat free milk, it's lighter on my tummy, but I use soy milk when I can (it's expensive in the city). It makes my coffee/lattes taste SO much better. I prefer it. No problems with the tummy while drinking it. The vanilla & chocolate are good too. I wouldn't drink the plain unless it was with some kind of coffee or cereal or something.

nelie
07-30-2009, 10:28 AM
I think dairy is harmful to our health and it also results in a lot of horrid farm practices.

That isn't why I started drinking/using alternatives (soy/almond/etc milk), I think they have better nutrition stats overall. I prefer almond milk because it is really low calorie and tastes pretty good. I switch around though and will drink some soy milk, rice milk, hemp milk, etc. I am also thinking I should make my own milks but I'm too lazy and I like the convenience of commercial non dairy milks.

Pita09
07-30-2009, 10:33 AM
I switched to soymilk a couple of years ago. I really can't remember my reasoning other than I was on Atkins at the time, so maybe that is why I switched. Anyway, I've stuck with using a light vanilla soymilk every morning on my cereal. I don't drink it by the cup, but I would because it's very tasty.

canadianangel
07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
i have been using the lite choclate soya milk and the lite vanilla soya milk..and i love it!!

MindiV
07-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the input! I may grab a small container and see how it goes over with the husband...if it's got a good taste he may be converted as well...

Cebsme
07-30-2009, 11:34 AM
I can't use soy milk anymore with my thyroid condition (on advice of my doctor and nutritionist). However I can say I much prefer the taste of soy milk to any milk, diary or non. I always loved the vanilla, and chocolate for drinking, only used plain for cooking. Also enjoyed some other flavors that you can get in other milks like Coffee flavor, i used it for making iced cappuccinos to get over my addiction to Starbucks.

My husband still drinks the soy milk, he switched long ago when I did because of my lactose intolerance. Now I dont drink any milk..but then again I really dont miss it that much most of the time.

Shannon in ATL
07-30-2009, 11:49 AM
I really like soy milk, but it really doesn't like me much... makes me really gassy :o so I had to cut it mostly out... I can still do it in small doses. I really like an iced chai tea latte with vanilla soy... yummy.

jendiet
07-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I tried to switch from cow's milk to Soy milk but interestingly, I had a HUGE endometriosis FLARE UP. I drink alot of milk, I thought if I drank 3 glasses of soy milk/day it would be fine. NOoooo. Also soy is one of the thyroid depressing foods out there.

I switched to fortified almond milk. I am so glad I did. I used to be gassy everyday, maybe from the milk? but I am not anymore. Occasionally when I eat dairy I get gassy again. Plus milk was a trigger to eat cookies and cake and brownies for me.

Fox
07-31-2009, 12:08 PM
I thought about switching to soy milk but I really hated it. It seemed way too sweet (I bought the unflavored) and was pretty much worthless in my coffee, lol! I'm also a little weary of too much soy so I'll be sticking to the regular cow's milk. I only have milk once or twice a week anyway. It's all personal preference though so get a small container and try it out!

belezura
07-31-2009, 12:18 PM
I heard soy milk is good for women during menopause... I just can't explain why... A quick google search and you might find out why.
I don't drink milk, but if I did I would have the soy milk... To me it tastes so much better than cow milk...

MindiV
07-31-2009, 12:27 PM
I may try and find a small container...gotta go out of town this weekend, to a city with actual big grocery stores. I might get lucky!!

walking2lose
07-31-2009, 12:39 PM
I second Nelie's choice - I drink almond milk - mainly only in smoothies because I was never a big milk drinker in the first place. Be careful with soy because it is not always a good thing (i.e. interacts with synthroid for one) - just make sure your hormones are in good shape because it does have a big effect on estrogen levels.

JulieJ08
07-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Soy milks are pretty variable. The flavor of the plain milk varies a lot. Then the flavorings added and the amount of sugar are also variable. So if you have more than just a passing interest, you might want to try a few. Some are very high in sugar. I have found some that are only a little sweetened, less than the amount of sugar in cow milk. And you can sweeten your own too.

wendyland
07-31-2009, 12:47 PM
I used to drink unsweetened soy milk. I've quit all milk for now. My husband loves rice milk. He said that it tastes like melted ice cream. I think that almond milk is pretty good.

choirgirlhotel
07-31-2009, 02:14 PM
I quit drinking cow's milk last year and it was the best thing I ever did. Less frequent migraines, "fog" in my head lifted, chronic cough went away, less need to blow my nose all the time.

My favorite is unflavored Silk brand soy. They also have a little one (Silk, purple container) especially for coffee that's great.

I drink Rice Dream original (unflavored) in the morning with my latte that I make at home.

Soy is definitely an acquired taste I think, but then you just get used to it. When I drink milk now it tastes so...."milky". Not good anymore to me.

~Choirgirl~

nelie
07-31-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm tainted since I haven't had dairy in such a long time but I recently bought so delicious coconut milk and it tasted exactly like dairy milk to me. Mimicreme is also a non dairy heavy cream substitute although it isn't as wide spread as soy milk.

Phantom Goddess
08-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't like soy milk - it goes bad within a couple of days of opening it. I am on a very limited budget and since I rarely drink milk of any type - I would waste a lot of money.

I just stick to fat free milk. It works for me.

Cebsme
08-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Thats kind of strange because we have never had soy milk go bad.. I remember having some left in the fridge for up to 14 days and it was fine. Now regular milk if we buy it at the store with the open dairy case is bad in a day.

My husband has recently switched to drinking powdered milk, and that stuff lasts forever.

Phantom Goddess
08-01-2009, 10:11 PM
The only container of soy milk I purchased went bad in three days of opening. I inadvertently used it in my tomato soup and I ended up vomiting it up. So that stopped me from purchasing it in the future.

I heard that the powdered milk tastes really chalky and fake tasting.

JulieJ08
08-01-2009, 10:30 PM
I've used a number of different brands and styles of soymilk, and they all lasted longer than cow milk for me, generally for at least a couple weeks. I always hated cow milk that had started to go off, even when others thought it was fine still.

Cebsme
08-01-2009, 10:44 PM
I heard that the powdered milk tastes really chalky and fake tasting.

Its all in how you mix it. My family didnt have a lot of money growing up so we lived on it, and my husbands family used it out of convenience so maybe we are just used to it. But to us it just takes like regular skim milk.

Jensaloser
08-05-2009, 09:04 AM
I've considered making the switch for health reasons. I read somewhere that humans after 3 years of age do not need nor should they have lactaid dairy such as cow's milk. The main reason I haven't switched to soy or at least to organic milks are purely because of cost. Being a single mom I just cannot afford spending $5+ on a gal of milk vs. $3. Especially when it comes to my still growing, 6ft1, 16 year old son who drinks about 2 gals a week.

That is the one thing that truly tends to frustrate me while trying to embrace a healthier diet. Someone made a comment in one of the other threads "just do whole foods". Well, that is virtually impossible for the financially challenged like myself.

Incidentally, I also loveee rice milk. it is delish! But again expense prevents me from making the switch at this time.

~I don't believe in coincidence, I believe in God and I am not lucky I am blessed!~

Jensaloser
08-05-2009, 09:06 AM
PS: I do powdered skim, its a staple around here when ya have kids lol

MindiV
08-05-2009, 09:33 AM
In a second I'd at least go to skim milk...but I don't go through even a half gallon a week by myself, and my husband won't drink it or use it in anything. So we'd be wasting a lot, even though it's cheaper than soy or any other type of milk...

Dang husbands...

Bombe
08-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Cow's milk has never had a negative effect on me and I hate the taste of soy milk so I stick to the regular dairy kind. I only have milk about once a month though, I don't drink it and only have it on the rare occasion I eat cereal. When I do feel like milk I buy the smallest container of 1% that I can find (so I don't waste it). Sometimes I even stop at the gas station and buy the single serving bottle of skim, most places have small bottles (12 ounces or so) of plain milk next to their chocolate milk. I haven't had any luck finding this size in the grocery store though, only the gas station or quick stop.

Wolf Goddess
08-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I drink and use 1% cow's milk. I like, but do not love soymilk, and I can't justify the cost of it. Once in a while I'll buy some light vanilla soymilk just to drink, but I stick to real moojuice for the most part.

That is the one thing that truly tends to frustrate me while trying to embrace a healthier diet. Someone made a comment in one of the other threads "just do whole foods". Well, that is virtually impossible for the financially challenged like myself.

Isn't animal milk more of a whole food than vegetable milk? I mean, you cant go out, squeeze a soybean stalk, and come back with a bucket of soymilk, after all.

Of course, I've always lived in a farming community, so I might be biased.

nelie
08-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Isn't animal milk more of a whole food than vegetable milk? I mean, you cant go out, squeeze a soybean stalk, and come back with a bucket of soymilk, after all.

Of course, I've always lived in a farming community, so I might be biased.

I would say that dairy milk is processed as much if not more than things like soy milk. Things like almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, etc are very easy to make. I don't do it out of convenience although the soy milk I buy has 2 ingredients, soy beans and water.

Some would also argue that cow's milk isn't intended nor is it good for humans to consume.

JulieJ08
08-06-2009, 05:29 PM

Whole milk maybe. Reduced fat milk is pretty processed to get that way, and almost all milk is homogenized and pasteurized.

I would say nondairy milks are processed in much the same way bread or pasta, even home made, is processed. Or olive oil. Or anything else you "make" at home. The nondairy milks are fairly easy to make and comparable to many other "normal" recipes for foods. They can have other stuff added, but they don't have to.

maintain
09-02-2009, 08:22 AM
I really enjoy vanilla soy milk. Costco's brand Kirkland Signature makes it and you can buy it in bulk for a lot cheaper than Silk, Horizon, etc. I personally do not like plain soy milk, but the vanilla is perfect for most things, especially on my Cheerios in the morning. I switched to soy milk because there are many health benefits for women including "isoflavones" which are structured like estrogen. After reading some of these posts I now want to try the almond milk!

sotypical
09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I try and try and try and I just can't seem to get into these milk alternatives. Couple days ago about I bought Rice Dream Vanilla, in theory is sounds great... in my coffee not so much. I have been mixing it with a bit of cream to try and use it, its okay, lol. I might try it in a ice coffee or something over the weekend. I wish I could get into it, for no other reason then a change from regular milk. I do wish it came in smaller containers.

ringmaster
09-10-2009, 05:55 PM
sotypical, I haven't found any milk alternatives that go good in coffee and tea. most soy milks just don't mix in coffee, rice and almond milks don't taste too good in coffee and tea.

I see someone mentioned coconut milk, maybe that might work but it's hard to find that brand, unless we can use regular canned type coconut milk?

sherrybwc
09-20-2009, 11:48 PM
When I was LC'ing, I drank a LOT of WestSoy Cappuccino flavored soy milk...it's delish AND shelf stable (until opened, of course). I've also MADE my own soy milk, but we're not going to talk about THAT little adventure!

I must admit, though, that I LOVE plain old whole cow's milk AND goat's milk, but, as I can't have either while I'm trying to lose, I've been buying Hood's Calorie Countdown 1%...it's as close to whole cow's milk as I've found.

Oh, I tried almond and rice milks...thanks, but no thanks.

S

pintobean
09-21-2009, 08:50 AM
I tried Silk French Vanilla Creamer in coffee and it was a horrible experience. I absolutely did not like it. I only drink 1 16-20 oz coffee mug in the morning. I've yet to find the perfect coffeemate creamer subsitute. I don't use coffeemate creamer anymore. I am now using evaporated (not condensed) milk. One serving of it (2 TB) seems to take care of the milk part of it.

Almond milk - bad!
I do have regular Vanilla Almond Milk in my pantry to try.

I do like Lite Silk Chocolate milk just by itself.

Regular Coconut Milk, I did like the taste of it. I did not like it with cereal but plain and smoothies, yes. The brand I used was So Delicious (http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/coconut_milk_beverage.html) Coconut Milk. I didn't try it in coffee though.