WW Clubs and Groups - #220 Bale of Turtles Kicking It!

View Full Version : #220 Bale of Turtles Kicking It!

Itryharder
07-30-2009, 07:44 AM
:carrot: :welcome3: We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)

Itryharder
07-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi Turtles,
Yesterday was a great day and I'm back OP. My WW leader says we are all Weight Watchers. Not that we are on Weight Watchers. We commit and keep on keepin' on, even if we get sidetracked we still keep so many valuable attitudes toward food that have become routine and habit.

I've got a great question. Since you've started your weight loss journey, what is a good habit you've established? I'll start. I never eat a full serving of dessert. I eat a sliver, enjoy it, and move on! What's yours?

Hey Princess, yep--a reliable walking partner is a blessing, but you are your own best company at times. Walking the track is a great idea and will make that dress fit just fine. Weigh to go!

Bandit, good luck on your WI. :goodscale: I think we still have about six weeks to go on our challenge for the summer. I backslid a little, but I can still be on track and that's my intention.

Lin, good food choices. Thanks for the inspiration for my eating out escapade taking place next week. Love that you're getting in so much exercise.

MsMeri, you're doing great. And thanks for the food tips. I love the steel cut oats as well, but usually settle for the Quaker Oats brand .

Lin, good label comparison. I didn't realize steel cut oats had more protein--very interesting! :chef:

Lauren, I loved reading about your get together with Dotti's group. The links you sent us to are wonderful and thoughtful. Thanks.

I'm going to have a great day even though my dfriend is taking my dh and me out to dinner. A big salad with grilled chicken or shrimp on top sounds like the thing to do!

:cheer: and :bravo: to everyone!
Judy
234.6/207/204 to 30# down!

CherryAutumn
07-30-2009, 01:32 PM
I am still reading everyones posts. I am just trying to get in the right mind frame after my pregnancy. That is the tough part for me right now. Plus lack of sleep really takes away my motivaion.

It sounds like everyone else is doing well with their plans.

Itryharder
07-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Hi Cherry,
You did beautifully during your pregnancy. It's good to read the posts here. Some of the Turtles are doing amazing good work and everyone has wonderful tips.
Have you thought about doing just one new thing for yourself this week? Maybe drink two more glasses of water, or journal all your breakfasts, or get more fruits and veggies into your plan? I know you can do this and we know how tiring a newborn can make you. :grouphug: and :cheer: for you.
Judy

Princess1122
07-31-2009, 06:49 AM
Morning all and happy Friday to everyone! Today is my cleaning day and laundry day, ugh =) I also need to run to the library as I am out of reading material. Food was pretty good yesterday but I never did get out for a walk... I put it off too long and then it rained in the afternoon. DH and I went to Applebee's last night for supper, I had the WW chili lime chicken salad... I did not like it very much as the whole thing was made of spinich and I am just not a big fan and was still hungry when I was done with it but it was nice to get out for a meal that I did not prepare.

Cherry: I agree with Judy! Also, just a thought here, but as we all know the more weight we carry the worse we feel and the more tired we get... now, granted, you have a baby keeping you awake but maybe just a few short walks with the baby/kids a week, up and down the block to start, and that may help you to feel a bit better and some fresh air may help the baby sleep just a bit longer from time to time. Again, just my thoughts as I don't know your situtation but I sure wish you the very best in getting on track and finding a balance that will work for you.

Judy: How are you doing? I can not remember, do you have plans this weekend or are you home this weekend? You have done sooooo well with all of your company and activities so far this summer, you are an inspiration!

Bandit: How about you? Are you going to the lake this weekend? I am really trying to talk DH into taking a few days off next month so that we can take a small trip up to Lake Michigan, even if just for a day... DS wants us to look into getting a cabin up on the UP of Michigan for a week next year... just a thought here but how close is that to you?

msmeri: What is going on in your neck of the woods? Wow, I think that we have like three turtle in your state now? I know it is a very big state though... LOL.

Lin: How are you doing? Try any new recipes lately?

Have to run but will check back in later on!

msmeri
07-31-2009, 10:27 AM
#220 I think that's my new goal. At weigh in Wednesday, I was down 4.8 Bringing me out of the 230's! woohoo

This will be my last post for about a week, we are going to the Union Conference in San Jose. It's a 7 hour drive. I have my meals semi-planned (see pic) and hope to make use of the hotel gym. We are not dismissed every night till between 9-10pm (ridiculous) And I am not even staying on the same floor as my DH. As he is representing a different school district.

Went to the beach with most of my WW group, for our last summer huraah. Will post a pict tomorrow, if they get fwd to me.

Lin ~ Thnx a bunch for the steal cut info. I am looking for it today cuz it's payday. (hate 31 day months) Now for the crock pot, is there direction on it for the measurements? Like how much water?

Princess ~ 3 is a great start. That's how we started with our home group. Last Wed we added a new girl in her 40's with 2 grown kids, and she is on the heart transplant list! Her Dr recommended WW. So now we are up to 7 and it is fantastic! I am excited to host the meeting on the 12th when I get back. We are "going" to Australia. I have been researching recipes and cuisine of their culture. So far I wanna make Lamb and stuffed eggplant (none of us have ever had) Maybe a special potato casserole. Still need to put ingredients in Recipe Builder to get Point Values. Did I tell you, last Wed we did Jamaica? So fun. One gal is doing Breakfast Night.

CherryAutumn ~ I just love when you are here. I love your cute lil pic and even your ticker is cute. I imagine your home to be just lovely.

Lin S
07-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Hi, Everyone,

I'm just posting my weighin results. I'll do a reply to everyone's posts later. I have a deadline for delivering grant information to the city, so I need to go soon.

Today I'm down another 2.5 and the WW online said I'm losing weight too fast. I lost 2.5 last week and this week. Next week I'm going to do what I've been doing this week and if it's still more than two pounds down next Friday, I'll add a couple of points to my daily total and see how that goes. This week I ate every weekly point and a half of an activity point. But I walked so much I needed the fuel. Next week my walks for work will be down to the level for concert season and I'm actually going to have to figure out what to do for a workout on the days I'm not walking as part of my regular life.

Keep on turtlin'! :balloons:

LaurenH
07-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Judy, great questio about healthy habits. I love yours! I'd say one of the best habits I've developed is to always eat at the same place -- the kitchen table. It has made it so much easier to forget about food whenever I'm anywhere else in the house. I literally don't think about it when I'm out of the kitchen! That's a huge change for me.

WOW, Lin! That is fantastic progress! How do you calculate activity points? I still haven't figured that out.

Meri, look at you go, too!! Wow! You ladies are very motivating.

Princess, I hope you can get that trip to Lake Michigan. I'm a firm believer that everybody needs to get on the water at some point during the summer! Lake Michigan is just beautiful. What part are you hoping to visit? (I can't remember -- are you in Michigan? Or on the western side?)

Cherry, {{HUGS}}.

Earlier this week, my book group (6 ladies) went to a chautauqua on the shores of Lake Erie for an overnight. We stayed in an old Victorian hotel right on the water and had a blast. It was such a fun thing to do in the middle of the week -- made me feel like I've got two weekends this week. My major NSV: I climbed all the way to the top of a lighthouse and wasn't even winded! :carrot: My legs started to hurt, but my lungs didn't. That made me feel so good!

We're having the most beautiful summer we've ever had. The temps today are in the high 70s, the sun is shining, a breeze is blowing ... we must've sent all our heat to the West Coast this year. Sorry, guys!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.

Itryharder
07-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Princess, I didn't have plans for this weekend-----until my dd sold her apt. and needs a place to stay by 9/1! Egads. So we'll be out with a real estate agent on Sat. afternoon.
I plan to keep my food real tight because I'll be in Chicago with my friends for three days---eating all meals out. A challenge, but I know how to pull it off! The temptation will be to eat more food than I need since I won't be able to have the extra food packed up and taken home. Thanks for your nice comments. Last night I was a champion if I must say so myself. I had a salad topped with grilled portobello mushroom for dinner. I also had a little bread dipped in olive oil====and that was it! I was hungry about nine o'clock and had a piece of fruit and a few almonds and the scale was very good this morning. I'm definitely in a size smaller pants. :bravo:

Msmeri, you are flying with your weight loss! :goodscale: I love the way you tackle all you're doing. :cheer: :cheers: The WW dinner meeting sounds like so much fun.

Lin, you go girl! Your weight loss is wonderful. That exercise is really paying off. :bravo: :dance: :dancer:

Lauren, I love the idea of eating in one spot only. Very smart! I have gotten into a poor habit of eating or at least drinking at my computer and that doesn't make sense. I'll do better.

Cherry :grouphug:

Bandit, how was your WI? :goodscale:

Okay--I've gotta run and figure a few things out.
Take care and be well.
Judy
234.6/207/204 and down to 30# down! :cool:

Lin S
07-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi, Everyone,

I'm back for that promised reply to everyone's posts.

Thanks for the good question, Judy. I think my best new habit is to go for the produce first. I've always loved fresh fruits and veggies, but now I'm actively working to plan my meals around produce, instead of meat. If I eat enough fruit, I don't crave desserts as much. If I eat enough veggies, I'm satisfied with smaller servings of the higher fat meat dishes. :cool: And nice job with your last night's meal choices.

The other cooking thing I'm working on is to learn to cook tofu properly and to add new whole grains to my repertoire.

Cherry, I don't know if anyone has told you this, but the best thing I did when I had tiny babies and sleepless nights was to take a nap when the baby sleeps. I don't do well when I'm overly fatigued and that saved me. Yeah, the house wasn't as clean and not all the stuff got done, but this stage is fairly brief-usually only a few months. Then your child will sleep through the night and you'll be able to get enough sleep regularly. That's when you start catching up on the stuff. :)

Ms. Meri, you asked about proportions for the oatmeal in the crock pot. You use the amounts on the package. Just double or triple or quadruple or...you get the idea...depending on how much your crock pot holds and how much you want to make. Enjoy!! :)

Princess, No new recipies but I was looking at P. F. Chang's web site. They publish their nutritional information and it's amazingly easy to eat well without having points issues, if you're careful to note how many servings each dish has and only eat one portion. :cool:

Lauren, activity points are a nightmare because when I use the online activity tracker and put in the activity and the time I get more points than if I just use the pedometer. I've decided I'm not using the pedometer until I get a more reliable one. So, what I've been doing is using the "walking, brisk" or "walking, leisurely" on the online tracker. I keep track of my time and just input it and let the calculator decide how many points it is. I adjusted my points for a sedentary lifestyle, so all the walking goes toward activity points because I don't walk the same amount every day. Some days I don't get out of my chair and other days I don't sit down.

I don't know where there's a lot of heat. I'm here in San Jose and it's been a fairly mild summer, temperature-wise. We've had a lot more humidity than we used to, and a bit of rain. But it's been a wonderful summer for walking.:)

:?: I think my biggest challenge right now is with the hunger/satisfaction vs. eating all my required points thing. I've been noticing, as I've been trying to eat a bit more slowly, that I sometimes am full before I've eaten the points I'm supposed to eat for the day. I can't figure out whether to stop eating and let the points go, or make sure to finish the daily points no matter what. It's a dilemma and so I'm trying to figure out an experiment I can try to help me figure out the best way to deal with that issue. Suggestions anyone?

Itryharder
07-31-2009, 06:15 PM
LIn,
This is what I found. W hen I was short points, I'd eat to make sure I had them all in. I would eat toast with butter and other choices that weren't great. I think it makes more sense to stop eating when you're full. My WW leader says that no one should eat fewer than 20 points a day, so that might be a guide for you. I know this is all personal. I'm losing nicely right now because I am avoiding bread and all white flour products.
What does everyone else think?
Judy

LaurenH
07-31-2009, 06:43 PM
I think if you're not hungry, stop eating. The body will be hungrier some days/weeks than others, and it will even out. If the scale stops moving, or you start losing a pound a day, or you feel bad, then maybe there's reason for concern. Otherwise, I'd just listen to your inner signals. That's what naturally thin people do, I've noticed -- they eat tons some days and little on others. I remember having trouble getting my points in during the early days of Weight Watchers. It passes!

Judy, woo-HOO on the smaller pants size!!!

Lin, how did you manage to earn 25 activity points in a day?? How long did you walk? Or did I misread your post from the previous thread?

Princess1122
08-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Morning all and happy Saturday to everyone! I was down 3.6 at W/I this morning so was very happy about that... I am getting closer to fitting into that dress!

Hope all is well with everyone, I have to run but will stop back later on.

Itryharder
08-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Princess, weigh to go! :goodscale: :bravo:
:dancer: :dance: :carrot: :cheer: :cheers: :balloons:
Wow! What a wonderful weight loss! Keep up the good work! Here's to the most beautiful mother of the groom ever!!!!!!

All goes well here. I'm concentrating on eating the foods that will help me lose weight. What a novel concept.
Judy
234.6/207/204 and close to 30# down! :cool:

Lin S
08-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi, Everyone,

Thanks for the advice. I think it's good advice and I'm going to stop when I'm full. However, Judy, it's interesting that your WW leader says you shouldn't eat fewer than 20 per day, since when you calculate your daily points allowance, the range is 18-44. :)

:goodvibes: Re: the bread and white flour products. The main reason that omitting those products makes most people lose weight, at least for a while, is that a lot of the white flour products are the cookies, cakes, etc. that are high in fat and calories, but lower in nutrition. So, when you substitute other things for those products, you're usually substituting lower fat, lower calorie, better nutrition. It's not that not eating them does something to your body chemistry that promotes weight loss. It's that the substitutes are better choices. Better choices are always a good thing.

OTOH, if you start feeling deprived or craving something you've decided to omit, have a small serving. One small serving, and then back to your regularly scheduled program, won't stop your weight loss. But sticking to it, feeling deprived, and then overeating something you've said you won't eat might.

That said, you should know that I have a bias. I believe that omitting one particular food, food group, etc. sets us up for failure over time. The exceptions to this are cutting out things for medical reasons like allergies that can cause anaphylactic shock or salt if it messes up your blood pressure and so on.

:eek: Lauren, I think I was talking about 25 for the week, up to that point. If I typed day, I must have been temporarily brain dead. I ended up with 29 for the whole week. I think the most I did in one day was either 5 or 7. I hope that clears it up.

:chef: :write: :coffee: :book2: :comp:

Itryharder
08-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Yes Lin, you're absolutely right. When calculating--depending on age, activity level, and current weight--it is possible to get down to 18 points. My WW leader really believes that is too low and strongly suggests not going under 20 points--using two points daily from the weekly allowance --. Interesting, huh!

All goes well here, but I feel like it's going to be a long day.
Just found out my dh's brother is in town, up from FL and is on the phone now. I bet we'll have to go visit and I was hoping for a nice, relaxing day with nothing to do. :cb:
Judy
234.6/207/204 :cool:

CherryAutumn
08-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Ladies thanks for all the hugs and advice

Lin S - I would love to sleep when the baby sleeps but i have a 4 yr. old and 2 yr. old also and the 4 yr. old doesn't nap at all anymore. I do try to lay down on the couch for a rest once in a while.

Judy- I am going to try drinking 64 oz. of water since i usually drink 32 oz.

Msmeri - It makes me happy to see your posts to.

Lauren and Bandit- thanks for the hugs and well wishes. Looks like your both doing excellent on your plans.

If i forgot anyone I am soo sorry. Like i said i am sleep deprived.

msmeri
08-02-2009, 07:54 AM
It's a new month
I tend to have a fresh start every month.
But, let's first take a look at July's objectives, and see how I did.

I am giving up my coffee creamer. (accomplished)

Eat no more then three frozen entrées a week. (accomplished)

Continue to eat one non-processed food each day. (most days)

I will wake up each day and go out for my regularly scheduled exercise (accomplished)

I will start moving boxes to the new house, little by little. Even if the guys don't help me. (accomplished) Amazing the day after I wrote that down my MIL came over with the trailer and made DH load up stuff! God is in control

Now for the new month...

We are kinda at a new beginning in my real life Weight Watcher's group. We just got a new member last Wednesday, but I can't say that's the reason though. I think a couple of the girls are just "ready" now. We have been at it since January, and I think they want to see results.

We were given homework, it was due 7/29. Each of us had to come up with 5 reasons why we wanted to get healthier. In writing. We got the idea from the brand new WW magazine.

Mine are (in no order)

1. So I don't die in the manor my father did -
with all the drastic complications of diabetes.

2. So I can fit in MIL wedding dress for our renewal, April 2011

3. Be a silent encourager to my DH and DS who are both morbidly obese

4. To own pretty, feminine, SEXY undergarments -
That don't come in BIG Girl sizes

5. Fight & Manage Depression (been doin' good)

6. Shop in regular stores "off the rack"

Now, what do I need to do to reach these goals? Keep on, keeping on.
Stay in my points 6 days a week.
Exercise 6 days a week 90 minutes minnium a day.
Just added Leslie Sansone's Yoga to my every day list, It's real relaxing!

Next week we are to present our 5 GOALS to the group

Save a dollar a day (start of renewal planning)

Get below the ugly 200 number! Hope to be there by Thanksgiving

get 2 workouts in everyday before I go to work (I start back 8/17)

Get into an organized Bible Study

Eat one non-processed food everyday.

Itryharder
08-02-2009, 10:12 PM
MsMeri,
Great goals. You're very thoughtful in your approach to WW's.

Cherry, it's not easy with three young children in the house. I know you can do this and I :cp: you for committing to drinking a specific amount of water a day.

This weekend was good for me and I think the scale should show that. How is everyone else?

Take care and be well.
Judy

Lin S
08-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi, All,

I've had in interesting weekend. I signed up on Facebook, since my boss said I had to. Other people have said I should, but I was sure it would be too tempting to spend too much time visiting it. And I can see I know myself all too well. It's such a blast and I've connected up with so many people, some of whom I haven't talked with in years. :cool:

I've been exercising. I set a goal of 2 activity points at least 5 days a week. We went swimming yesterday. That was fun. I love swimming and hope to add it to my routine several days a week. :swim:

I've done well with food. I used some weekly points yesterday, but have some left over today. I may make popcorn later, if I get hungry. I feared I'd gone way over points because I seemed to eat a lot of food today. The thing is, I went for the produce. I really, really wanted the cheese fondue at one of my favorite local restaurants. So, I ate an heirloom tomato salad, to fill me up first. Then I ate a small serving of the fondue. Then for dinner, I ate veggies, veggies, veggies and a serving of steak. We grilled corn with chipotle pepper and portobello mushrooms rubbed with fresh herbs. I made an heirloom tomato salad with fresh herbs. And we had fresh mixed berries. And I have 4 points left over for today. It was great! :carrot:

Cherry--:hug: :hug: :hug: It's tough when you have several children. Good luck!!

Ms. Meri--I can't imagine needing to set a goal of eating non-processed food. I love real food. I've been eating less and less processed food as I get older because it doesn't taste good to me. Maybe as you eat more fresh food, you'll find that you crave it more than the processed stuff. It's a great goal. :cool:

They do have sexy lingerie in larger sizes. Google. Maybe they don't have any in the size you are now, but I bet you can treat yourself before you get to goal. Then you can get a wardrobe of them. :D

Judy, you GO!! Looking forward to your weighin report this week. I bet we get to celebrate with you!! :goodluck:

:chef: :coffee: :write: :book2: :comp:

LaurenH
08-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Lin, let's connect on Facebook! There are a bunch of people with your name, so I'm not sure how to find you. You can hunt for my name in the Ann Arbor, Mich. area.

Your veggie dishes sound wonderful. Did you add oil as well? If not, how did you get the herbs to stick?

I wanted to eat the house down yesterday, so I overate on fruit and then at dinner ate an entire bag of frozen veggies. (Heated up, of course, with salt and pepper and spray butter.) Corn, asparagus, and carrots. Yummy, but what was UP with that?? Today should be better, simply because I'm nowhere near my kitchen for most of it.

Other than that, had a very relaxing weekend and spent most of it on the front porch. We've got some busy weeks coming up, so it was nice to have the breather.

Meri, I love your approach to this journey. I'm going to take a page out of your book and set myself some goals for this month:

- Get in at least 2.5 miles of walking (or equivalent exercise) most days of the week
- Eat more vegetables in an effort to meet my WW points goal of 21 points per day (thus far, I've been eating more like 24-28 points per day)

Judy, glad this weekend went well for you!

Cherry, your 4-year-old doesn't nap anymore?? Yikes! No wonder you're exhausted. {{HUGS}}

Princess, woo-HOO on that great loss!!

Have a great day, everyone.

Itryharder
08-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Yesterday was another good day. Our dd invited dh and me to a "family film night" wherein we got to watch That Darn Cat with our 4 year old grandson and his mom. Our dear son in law made tacos and nachos for dinner. I knew ahead of time this was the menu, so I brought a tossed salad with me with some sliced steak on top in case I was tempted to overeat with the tacos. Well, it finally happened. The company was soooooo funny and lively that I ate a moderate, temperate amount of food and enjoyed the company. The food wasn't the most important thing, at all. Next we watched some of the antics of our grandson while my dd caught me up on news about the family. I had trouble sleeping last night, so around 3:30 AM I came downstairs and got a small snack. I may not have had enough to eat during the day. Anyway, I'm nervous about my trip that's coming up soon. I'll be flying alone to meet girlfriends while dh stays here.

Hey, Lin---thanks for your take on eliminating certain foods. Very thoughtful. I know what you're talking about when cravings are so *present*. I also know that keeping trigger foods in the house is not ever good for me. Luckily my dh and I are on the same eating plan right now and we've stopped having Chinese food and pizza, etc. delivered. I'm cooking all our meals, but they are simple. I'm eating loads of fresh produce, huge salads, and small portions of protein at each meal. It's working for me for now. I'll miss my WW meeting this Wednesday, but by eating filling foods while away, I hope to at least stay the same. I may be doing more walking than usual and that may help out.

MsMeri, yay!!!! Let's get into onederland together this year. Definitely by Thanksgiving!!!!

How's everyone doing with Bandit's Summer Challenge? We've got five weeks to go! :goodscale: :cheer:

How's everyone doing? take care and be well and keep on drinking that water!
Judy
234.6/207/204 :cool: and into onederland soon

Itryharder
08-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Lauren, you and I posted at the same time. I found in the past when I needed a large amount of food like you did yesterday that it was often hormonal. This whole journey is simpler now that I'm into menopause. That probably sounds wacky since so many have trouble losing weight during this time of their lives, but I'm so much more peaceful and my hormones aren't raging and although the weight loss is probably slower, it isn't as difficult.
Judy

bandit2
08-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Morning, turtles:

WOW, so many posts in the few days I was away. I have read through them and congrats to all of you who have lost weight, excercised and stayed on track. That is truly awesome!

At my w/i I stayed the same & was alittle disappointed, but I know it is so much better than a gain. So just have to accept it and move on.

I went up to my gf trailer & that was the first time I drove there by myself, so was happy not to get lost. We have alot of fun, but I think I did overeat a few times. This was the first time this year she was in the pool, since it has been too cold & rainy up here. Very sad to think summer is half over before we got a decent weekend.

On the upside, there were a few ladies I hadn't seen since last year and they all commented on my weight loss & 1 lady didn't recognize me at all.
So that was very encouraging since sometimes the people we see all the time just don't notice the changes.

Judy - since starting this journey I always journal. I find that really helps me stay on track.

Well, I came home late last night so I would have today at home & will be grass cutting & hedge trimming. It is a holiday up here so very short week for me since I don't work Fridays.

Hope everyone has a great day & here's to a new month!

Princess1122
08-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Afternoon all and happy Monday to everyone. I hope that everyone is doing well. Things are chugging along here... the weekend was rough, constantly hungry and picking at this things that I should not... will have to wait and see.

Judy: Sounds like you did great though at your get together with the family, even with the late night snack.

Bandit: Yep, staying the same is always better then the alternative =)

Lauren: Thanks! I was pretty darned happy about it also =)

Have a great day all.

Itryharder
08-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Bandit, staying the same isn't fun-----but you should see a nice loss next week. :goodscale:

Princess, it's a kicker when we get soooooo hungry and want to eat and eat. I'm sending :goodvibes: that those feelings are gone by now.

Cherry, how are you doing?

Chrily, are you with us once in awhile?

Lauren, Lin, and MsMeri, keep on keepin' on!

The Turtles are the best.
Judy
See you all in a few days.

Lin S
08-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi, Everyone,

Lauren, I have a Misto pump oil sprayer. I love it!! So, we lightly sprayed olive oil on them, just enough to allow the herbs and spices to stick and keep them from sticking to the grill or burning. I love summer produce. :carrot:

I sent you a PM with a link to my home page on Facebook. If that doesn't work. I'll try searching for you. I'm in San Jose, CA, so you could also try searching for me by my name and city. :)

Judy, I'm with you all the way on the hormonal thing. :p Glad it's gone.

Nice job with the family film fest. :bravo: It sounds like you've got a good plan for your upcoming trip. I'm looking forward to hearing about it. You're so close to onederland. I don't think you'll have trouble meeting it sooner than you think!! :D

Bandit, nice that you didn't gain. Maintaining may be nothing more than a bit too much salt and it will show up next week. Good luck to you. :)

Princess, hang in there. This week should be better. :hug:

I'm doing fine, so far this week. I walked extra today because I had to go to the bank and the post office for work. And, we have shopping to do this evening, so that will be more walking, but I won't count that as activity points because it will be too much starting and stopping.

:chef: :write: :book2: :coffee: :comp:

LaurenH
08-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Hmmm, no PM, Lin. Wonder what happened to it? I'll see if I can find you by city.

Great idea on the oil mister -- I keep forgetting about those, and we actually have one.

Judy, WTG on that dinner out with family and focusing on the company rather than the food! Woo-hoo!

Princess, weekends can be tough. Hope the week is going better for you.

Bandit, YAY on all the friends' comments about your new weight! That's terrific!

Having a decade birthday, so I'm having a steak dinner tonight at a good restaurant, and DH made red wine slushees for dessert. Last night I had a birthday ice cream cone, just because. I do love ice cream! We walked downtown and back rather than drove, so that helped -- about 2.5-3 miles.

Other than that, eating is going fine. Still very hungry and wanting to eat a lot, but I'm containing it. I always lose well when I do. Or, at this point, maintain well -- that's all I'm looking for right now, with all these extras! I am looking forward to losing again, though.

Oh, great NSV -- I got the results of my blood work back, and my blood sugar has dropped well out of the borderline zone and into normal! Hooray! I was concerned, because diabetes is huge in my family, and because even after 9 months or so on the program, my blood sugar went down only 1 point. But after another half year, it went down another 11, so all is good. I'm so glad! Eating a low-glycemic-index diet and losing weight really does help.

Have a great day, everyone.

Princess1122
08-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Morning all and happy Wednesday to everyone. DS went and had all of his wisdom teeth taken out yesterday, some of them were impacted so it was a rough surgery and I was busy with him for most of the day. Food was ok yesterday but I could have done better.

We had huge ugly rain storms come through here yesterday, tons of rain and lots of flooding. They are gone for the most part now but everything is soaked!

Our state fair starts here soon which is always a big calorie laden event :D I am sure we will go this year just not sure when.

Lauren: Happy Birthday! Great news on your blood work results! You have to be thrilled!

Lin: Great job on getting in extra walks... may I ask what you do that you walk so much during the work day?

Judy: Family Film Night sounds like fun! Sounds like you did a good job on your food so that is a good thing.

Bandit: It is wonderful that you were able to get away for a while with your friends... I understand what you mean about the whole "staying the same" thing... always better then a gain but still not a loss.

Lin S
08-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi, Fellow Tortoises,

I hope your birthday turned out great, Lauren. :celebrate:

YAY on the blood sugar results!!

Princess, :hug::hug::hug: to your DS. I had all of mine out at once and I remember what that's like.

Have fun at the state fair!! :cool:

My job itself isn't what gets me walking, except in a tangential way. My husband got a job that's about a half hour drive from here and he has to take our car because public transportation is way less convenient for him. So, I take the train. I take the train or bus everywhere I need to go during the work week, and getting to and from public transportation puts the miles on my feet. So far, since last Friday, I've earned 24 activity points. It's nice to have that built into my life because I don't always have time for an extra workout.

I'm still doing great. Yesterday I went to a place that has these great tiny desserts for coffee. I bought a dessert to take home and share with my dh. I'm eating my half, but there'

Princess1122
08-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Morning all and happy Thursday to everyone... looks like it is going to be a beautiful day today... which is good because I need to get out and get some walking in.

DH and I went to see Crosby, Stills and Nash last night at the outdoor concert park that we have here, it is down town by the river and just a beautiful venue to see a show at. We had a great time and the concert was awesome... they still sound great and played all of our favorites. We have tickets to see the Moody Blues at the end of the month at the same place and I am really looking forward to that. Did not have time to eat before we went and the food choices were not healthy at all but I got a hotdog and a bottle of water...

Lin: What a great way to earn activity points!

Have to run, lots to do today!

Lin S
08-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Hi, Everyone,

Wow, you all are quiet today.

Princess, I envy you. I love those groups. I hope you had and will have a great time!!

I took my dh to PF Chang's for dinner. He'd never been there. It was really good and I had a lot of points left for the week. Since tomorrow's weigin day and they all go away, I decided to order what I wanted, but eat small portions. I came home and toted up the points. It was not low-point, but not way out of control, either. I'm happy with the end result. We'll see what the scale says tomorrow. All I know is that the jeans I've been squeezing into when they come out of the dryer were loose today.

Weighin report tomorrow.

Rather than writing another post, I decided to edit this one to report my weighin results: down .5 pounds. Going the right direction and not too quickly. I'm a happy camper today.

:chef: :write: :comp: :coffee: :book2:

Itryharder
08-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Lin, :goodscale: weigh to go! :cp: :bravo: :balloons:
Excellent results.

Hi Turtles, I'm back from a great visit with my college roommates. We met in Chicago and I had so much fun and the food was delicious and I think I didn't gain much weight.
Judy

msmeri
08-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I am back from the union conference. I think I did ok on my eating considering. I did choose to eat cake at the formal dinner/dance. But o-well
I used the hotel gym every day. I kinda liked it. Took a while to figure out the electronic machines. I have never used them before.

Lauren - How's the walking goal coming along?

Judy - Isn't it fun to chum around with your old pals?

Lin - I have always wanted to go to PF Chang's. Congrats on the scale Going the right direction. A bunch of Baby steps in a row all add up!

Princess - You sound like you love music as much as I do. Have you ever heard of Pandora.com it's a radio station online. It customizes to you preferences and the more you play it the more it learns what you like.

Itryharder
08-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi, I'm here, just don't have time to write.
Keep on keepin' on, all you :cp: Turtles!
Judy

bandit2
08-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Morning, turtles:

Princess - sounds like you had a great time at your concert. I really like live performances as well.

Lin - congrats on your weight loss. Feels good on the scales.

Msmeri - welcome back & nice job on your choices while away. Good to get in some exercise, that really helps.

Judy - hi there! Hope you are doing well.

As for myself - I was up 2# at the scales last Wed, so wasn't very happy about that. But, I should know by now that alittle extra this & that & NO walking = weight gain at the scales.

I have been away at trailer the last few days & didn't do too bad with my eating. A man friend of mine came up yesterday to help me wash my trailer & brought huge steaks. So I ate 1/2 & had made a big veggie platter with light dip & had that. We also grilled up some boiled potatoes, but I only had a few of those. And night before, since I ate alone I made a big salad with grilled chicken.

You know, sometimes I think we can cheat and it won't show up at scales & sometimes it doesn't. But, soon enough it will. And that is what happened - I got away with it a few weeks, then BOOM it showed up.

My goal this week is to stay OP and get in my walks.

Have a great OP day!

msmeri
08-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Bandit - You can do it!
;)

Lin S
08-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi, All,

Judy, nice to hear the good report from your trip! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Ms. Meri--way cool on using the hotel gym. We have a fitness center at our apartment complex, but I don't know how to use the machines properly. I wish they'd have someone come in occasionally to show us how they work.

Pandora is cool.

Bandit, nice to hear you're doing well. Hang in there. Sometimes those things that show up on the scale go away, especially if they create a new commitment for you. Good luck this week!

I'm doing OK this week. I was feeling frustrated, like I usually get with figuring out points and recording everything. It's easier with the online tools, but because I don't cook the same things very often, it's time-consuming to figure out points for all the recipes I do. I've given up in the past over this, but today, I didn't let myself go there. I just made good choices and did the tracking.

I also realized why portion sizes are such a problem for me. It's my vision. Because my depth perception is messed up, I can't judge sizes without measuring. I usually choose the wrong size bowl to put leftovers in, for example. So, I can't use the guidelines and just eyeball it. I get too much or too little. All that weighing and measuring make extra dishes and take extra time. But if I want to succeed, that's one of the sacrifices I have to make--taking the time to weigh and measure my food.

:chef: :write: :coffee: :comp: :book2:

msmeri
08-11-2009, 04:53 AM
Lin ~ With all the extra effort you are putting in, you are sure to have success! That's is the most eye opening thing about WW. Portion awareness. When I went to Olive Garden I instantly saw my plate had MORE then 3 servings on it. In the past I would just inhale it & ask for desert too. I no longer eat chips out of the bag, mindlessly. Pizza is still an issue, but I guess we all have an Achilles heal.
:carrot:
Sunday night while making dinner I choose to have a little ready pac of carrots & ranch dip. Just over 2 oz. Less then 10 baby carrots. While I was eating it I used my calculator for points. 70cal, 5 fat, 1 fiber. Not bad 2 points right? No look closer, it says per serving. How many servings could possibly be in a little 2oz container?.....
DRUM ROLL PLEASE......3,
3 servings I tell you.
What a rip off.

Manufactures need to get a clue. Not just use a smaller portion so the nutrition numbers are smaller. That is deceiving.:mad:

well it's 1am time to get off soap box:dizzy:

Princess1122
08-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Morning all and happy Tuesday to everyone! DH and I went shopping last night to get his suit for the wedding... Wow! Mens suits are expensive! But he looks great in the one that we picked out so it was worth it.

Food has not been good for me this week... I need to get back in the groove!

Have to run, lots to do today!
Princess

Itryharder
08-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm still here and eating well. :cp: and :bravo: to all of us. I'll be back later to post responses.
Judy

msmeri
08-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Fried Foods

French fries and other fried foods are loaded with saturated fat, sodium, and calories. Although many fast-food restaurants offer trans-fat-free fries, trans fat can hide in other places. Big, cheesy hamburgers, chicken and fish sandwiches, and shakes can all have trans fat.

Just because a food item is trans-fat-free doesn't make it healthy. Here's a look at the nutritional breakdown for an order of large French fries from three fast-food chains:

Burger King*
580 calories
23 g total fat
6 g saturated fat
990 mg sodium
74 g carbohydrate
0 mg cholesterol

Hardee's*
470 calories
21 g total fat
4 g saturated fat
1,040 mg sodium
65 g carbohydrate
4 mg cholesterol

McDonald's*
500 calories
25 g total fat
3.5 g saturated fat
350 mg sodium
63 g carbohydrate
0 mg cholesterol

*Nutrition information from the restaurants' Web sites

Saturated fat is the leading factor in high cholesterol levels. However, there is no need to cut out saturated fat completely -- the American Heart Association recommends limiting saturated fat to 7 percent of your total daily calories.

msmeri
08-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Pizza

Pizza ranks high among favorite foods in the United States. It's delicious, convenient, and you can eat it with your hands, plus it's an icon of football games, birthday parties, and movie nights. The downside is that many commercially made pizzas are full of calories that can blow a meal plan in one slice.

A takeout-pizza tip: Cut sodium, fat, and calories by choosing a thin-crust pizza with veggies or lean meats like ham or chicken, and resist extra cheese.

Here's a breakdown of one slice of hand-tossed 14-inch (large) cheese pizza:

Domino's Pizza*
248 calories
3 g saturated fat
490 mg sodium
34 g carbohydrate

Papa John's*
280 calories
3 g saturated fat
700 mg sodium
38 g carbohydrate

Pizza Hut*
320 calories
6 g saturated fat
820 mg sodium
38 g carbohydrate

Frozen pizza is also convenient, but many varieties are high in calories, sodium, carbs, and fat. Here is the nutrition information for one slice of these popular frozen pizzas:

California Pizza Kitchen Four Cheese Pizza*
330 calories
8 g saturated fat
690 mg sodium
31 g carbohydrate

DiGiorno Four Cheese Pizza*
310 calories
5 g saturated fat
830 mg sodium
40 g carbohydrate

*Nutrition information from companies' Web sites

Lin S
08-12-2009, 12:33 AM
Ms. Meri--my solution is to make my own. I can make whole wheat crust and use much less fat and salt in the toppings. Plus, it tastes better.

:comp: :chef: :write: :book2: :coffee:

Itryharder
08-12-2009, 03:21 AM
Hey Lin,
You're at about the weight I was when I rejoined WW's. You're doing great. Here's to a :goodscale: this week.

I WI this morning.
Judy
234.6/206/204 and into onederland soon. :cool:

bandit2
08-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Morning, turtles:

Judy - good luck with your weigh in today!

Lin - I agree, we can make much healthier versions of our favorites.

Msmeri - thanks for all the information. But, I prefer to stay away from too much fast food. Even if you count it all it is still junk food & I need to stay away from it as much as possible. You have done fabulous on your weight loss - keep up the good work.

Everyone else - good luck on your journey this week!

Itryharder
08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Okay, I finally did it. I'm down 30# and I'm so happy. By the way, even though I've been up and down this summer, since our summer challenge began I'm down about nine pounds and my summer goal was 10#, so I think entering the challenge and cutting myself some slack here and there has been a very good thing. :bravo: :goodscale:

Princess, glad you dh found a great suit and looks handsome! Yay! Crosby Sills and Nash must have been great. Here's :goodvibes: to get your groove back. I bet you've done it already and you're back on track.

Lin, Eating out right before WI is a challenge, but you seem so calm about it. Weigh to go on your loss! Yes, I know handling the WW computer for tracking recipes can be labor intensive, but it's worth it. I also bet that if you estimate before you calculate, since you know so much about nutrition that you will be darn close on those points. :chef:

MsMeri, Okay, I'm envious. So many times I've been at a motel and wanted to try to :tread: , etc. and never did-----so I am inspired by your using the workout gym. Weigh to go! You're doing great. :bravo:

Bandit, You are having such a nice summer. I know exactly what you mean about the scale showing up those extra ounces, etc. I also know that you're like me in that we can't deviate much from program and exercise and expect to keep on losing. I'm sure this was a temporary gain and you'll have it off next WI. Good luck! :carrot: You've done great and it's wonderful that friends are really noticing your weight loss!

Okay, gotta run. food today is great and I hope to get on the :tread: again today. Have for the past two days, and I'm taking it easy by only exerc ising for 20 minutes so I won't inflame my hip. Good luck and :goodvibes: and :grouphug: to all.

Ladies, we've had a few very nice people join Turtles lately and I'd like to extend a second :welcome3: to all. And Cherry, we're here for you. With a new baby, I know it's hard, but write when you can because we're wishing the best to you.

Judy
234.6/203.4/199.8 and finally into onederland :cool:

bandit2
08-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Judy - Congratulations!!! You have worked very hard this summer & have been rewarded at the scale. I am sooooooooo proud of you. Keep it going!!

Lin S
08-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Hi!

Go Judy! Here's hoping for a good number for you. :D

Bandit, I, too, stay away from fast food. I overeat it because it's not satisfying. I'm still feeling hungry after eating a reasonable portion.

Today was good. Costco sells some crab and shrimp ravioli that are very good. I made a sauce with fresh thyme, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and olives. Paul made the salad and the dressing was already done. So, it only took about a half hour to make. Turned out good.

:comp: :coffee: :book2: :write: :chef:

msmeri
08-13-2009, 07:15 AM
I am down over 4 pounds for two weeks, was away @ San Jose last week. Not bad for being on the road, looking back I see room for improvement. I can report I have added Leslie Sansone's "You Can Do it" Yoga every morning to my routine, usually while it's still dark and in my PJ's. LOL I thought it might be to "new age" but it seems to be a positive/relaxing way to begin the day. Last night my leader gave me a beautiful pair of hand made purple tiger eye earrings for passing my half way mark. It's my second reward from her. She has two more weeks left of her exercise goal and I am taking her out for a pedicure and Henna tattoos on our feet! Will post a pict.

Lin ~ I gotta have some crab and shrimp ravioli w/ artichoke hearts &sun-dried tomatoes:yikes:

Judy ~ Wow I don't know what's better the 30 or the almost 10 for the summer thing. Shows how hard your working. You go girl! Did you give yourself a reward for reaching the 30 pound benchmark?:?:

Bandit ~ Your absolutely right about the fast food stuff (toxic garbage) With the exception of Pizza night, a long standing tradition in our house, I pretty much don't eat it. Just can't stop my self so I try not to start. Now that my son is older and away from the house so much connecting w/him on Friday Nights with Pizza is way important. :nono:

Princess ~ When this shin dig happens you best be posting a pict of you in that dress and a hansome man on your arm.:eek:

Worried about H1M1 precautions the schools are making out here in Calif. Anyone else?

CherryAutumn
08-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Judy - thanks for the encouragement. I am here and reading everyones posts. Oh and i am so proud of your 30# down.

I haven't lost any weight cause i am still eating to much but i am now getting exercise in. My DH bought a game for our wii called Wii Active Personal trainer. On it, it has ready made workouts, you can make your own up, or do the 30 day challenge. My husband and i have started the 30 day challenge with rest days included in the schedule and we are on day 4.

Msmeri - Good to hear you got through the half way mark. That is a great accomplishment.

Lin- that pasta sounds great. I love shrimp and your sauce sounds really good.

Bandit and Princess- Hope things are going well in your plans.

bandit2
08-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi turtles

Cherry - nice to see you back & posting. Try to stay positive & small changes add up quick. Nice job on the exercising.

Msmeri - fabulous on your weight loss. You are losing lots at a quick pace.

Lin - your recipe sounds yummy!

Judy & Princess - hope you are both having a good day.

I was down 1# at my Tops weigh in last night. I have really been struggling over the summer with not having regular meetings - just a quick weigh in & thats it. I really need structure & guidance to stay OP & motivated.
I also got in my walk last night so felt good about that.

This next week I am going to try and shake things up. Something like the "Wendie Plan" where you have some low points days followed by high points day, but you end up having same amount of points by weeks end.
Maybe that will help - instead of trying to do same thing everyday.

Anyway, thats my plan for upcoming week as well as getting in my walking.

Have a good one, ladies!

Itryharder
08-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Bandit :bravo: and :goodscale: Soon you'll have the full support of your TOPS group in the fall. In the meantime would it help if we each sent you a WW tip on the day of your WI? Just a thought. I love it when the Turtles send up tips because it keeps me motivated.

Cherry, weigh to go on the exercising. Yay! Don't beat yourself up too much. You're handling a lot, the exercise will show up nicely on your figure, and soon you'll start tracking and getting the food where you want it.

:goodvibes: and :grouphug: to us all. This group means so much to me.
Judy
234.6/203.6/199.8 and into onederland :cool:

bandit2
08-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Morning turtles:

Judy - good idea about ww tips. Any are welcome, thanks!

The last few days have been nice & hot up here but not complaining since we have had the coolest/wetest summer this year. I love the heat!
Enjoying it while I can.

Today am getting my hair done, then my mom is coming for visit this afternoon. Then probably head up to trailer for evening & then tomorrow suppose to be going to singles dance with girls from my ladies group.
So, busy weekend but should be fun.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Question - anyone have any idea how many points (calories) and in polish shish-kebob & cabbage roll (the kind from restaurant with rice). I tried searching internet and couldn't find "polish" style.

Thanks

Lin S
08-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Hi, Everyone,

Lots of posts to reply to. It's great to see how you all are doing.

:congrat: , Judy! Nice weighin and meeting those milestones are extra special.

Ms. Meri: :dance: Nice going with the 4# in 2 weeks. Hope you had a great time in my neck of the woods. Enjoy the :yoga: .

Cherry, you go!! :workout: I want a Wii and one of the things I want it for is the exercise thing. The other is to download and play the Nintendo games I loved when my kids were growing up. I enjoy video games and it was a way to connect with my sons and their friends.

Bandit, good luck this week. It's hard when you lose the supportive environment you're used to. I wonder if you might not want to think about an alternative support group you could try to put in place for next summer. Maybe starting a walking group. Or attending WW meetings just for these few months for support. Or getting together with some of the other TOPS members of your group to talk after the weighin. Don't know what would work for you, but you might want to think about it.

Sorry, I don't have any recipes for that dish, so I can't even estimate points for you.

Today is my weighin day. I'm down a pound and a half. The online tracker is tracking my weight loss from the trial I canceled in June, which has a higher start weight. According to that, I've lost 5% of my body weight, so that's my milestone for the week. :cheer2::cheer3:

:coffee: :chef: :comp: :book2: :write:

LaurenH
08-14-2009, 11:04 AM
GO, JUDY!!!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot: 30 pounds down!! I am SO proud of you!! I just cheered when I read that. You have really been working hard, and it shows!

Other than that, just a quick drive-by here. Working from home today, so I'll be out on the porch until it gets too hot. Heading to MIL's this weekend over in Canada (hi, Bandit!).

I'm still pretty much maintaining, which is OK by me for now. We've been doing a lot of traveling, so I'm good with a maintain at this point. I'm at the point where even eating an extra piece of fruit each day will stop my weight loss. I'm having to get much more careful about what I eat now. I did go try on some clothes while we were visiting friends in Ohio last weekend, and that was motivating. I should do that more often.

Have a great day, turtles -- I'll try to check in again soon.

msmeri
08-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi All,

Lauren ~ That doesn't sound very promising, an extra piece of fruit??? I am very very scared my weight will creep back on (going to tell bandit) I keep telling every one this counting is good now. I am learning about portion control and all. But I don't want people noticing (as they did) that I actually count every crouton to make sure I am at the correct serving size for the reported nutrition info. That just can't be a life long thing. Is is?:?:

Lin ~ Great milestone. Did you take measurements before you started? That's always encouraging to see. Everything went down on me except my biceps they went up:dizzy:

Bandit ~ I am going to try and remember to send you stuff. Do you get the weekly emails from WW? Do you get the magazine? Are you on their site? (don't wanna send something you already have) Anyway you are right about the "quick pace" I've lost 77 pounds in 30 weeks. The minute I hit 50 pounds I freaked, that was a big number, never before attained. I am so driven to work out but it is in fear! I don't like when people say I'm looking good or whatever. I am not doing this for them. I have been wearing most of the same clothes so I just don't get how far I have come. I tell my WW girls it just comes off easier for me cuz I had so much more to loose(315+) I was a couch potato and litterly slept 12 hours a day so any little amount of exercise makes a huge difference.:listen:

Cherry ~ I love the Wii. We use it at my WI on Wednesday nights. We play yoga, Jillian Michaels, Boxing, Active, and my leader is going to get the new Daisy Funtes Piliates one. My DS friend wants to sell his used one. Seeing as how we are getting DH's vacation payout at the end of the month I think it's perfect timing.

San Jose pic for Lin

msmeri
08-14-2009, 03:54 PM
must type something here it says

msmeri
08-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Sainte Claire

bandit2
08-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi turtles:

Lin - yes, I have thought of doing something else for next year over the summer and going back to WW did cross my mind. I definately need some "action plan" when my regular meetings are cancelled. Two months is just too long for me without some structure. And even though I know what I should be eating & doing - I seem to need the extra support to keep me in line. Thank goodness I have all you ladies & it has been helpful, so thanks to everyone for that.

Lauren - welcome to Canada! Whereabouts are you visiting? I live about 40 miles east of Toronto & am about 1-1/2 from the US border in Buffalo.
Hope you have fun!

Msmeri - yes, I have all the ww literature & go online lots of times for tips & recipes.

Have great weekend!

Itryharder
08-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi , just a quicky. I made the Luau Cake and it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe, MsMeri. today I am right back on track.
Judy

Lin S
08-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi,

Ms. Meri, Yes, I did take measurements. I took them again yesterday and I went down in my bust and hips by 1", my waist by 1.5", my thigh stayed the same, and my biceps went up by .5. I suspect my biceps actually stayed the same and it was bad measuring on my part because of how I held my arm. But, the good thing is I'm getting my waist back!! Us middle-aged ladies are not supposed to have waists, but apparently I'm not losing mine yet. :D

As for counting the croutons, changing habits is hard. It takes paying super attention to what you're doing. If people are so rude as to actually comment on your crouton counting, etc., I can think of two really good choices, neither of which involves apologizing for yourself as their opinion matters more than yours does. It's something we all struggle with--that peer pressure thing like we've been time-traveled back to high school. One thing you can do is just give them the "I can't believe you said that stare". It sometimes reminds people they're behaving rudely and they mumble an apology and shut up. Or you can sweetly explain that you're changing your habits and have to be extra vigilant while the new habit takes hold. :)

Lauren, it's great that you're maintaining through all your travels. That's really hard to do. :carrot:

Glad you're back on track, Judy. You go!! :broc:

I'm doing well. I've been thinking a lot about some things and realized a frustrating, but important thing that will help me stay motivated. I noticed that when I'm tracking points, I eat differently from when I just eat. Smaller amounts are completely satisfying. Paul said that what seems to happen is that all those old "clean your plate" messages kick in and I make myself eat more than I really need. But if I'm tracking points, it gives me permission to stop. And it keeps the amounts in line. So, if I want to stay in control of portions, I must track points. Calories would work, too, but I think the point system, with its formula that takes fiber and fat into account works better for me.

Well, I started writing in my blog again. It started mainly as a writing about writing blog, but it's becoming mainly a writing about food & cooking blog. It will never be a one subject blog because I can't be a one subject person, but I noticed when I was writing about last night's dinner that the really small serving (by current standards) was too much. Next time I eat that meal, I want to cut the serving size down and add some fruit. (Weird!! I can't help but wonder whether getting rid of the hormone stuff has changed my body's needs a lot.) Anyway, my blog isn't a weight-loss blog, per se, but it's inevitable that my weight-loss efforts will be a part of it. I added a link to my signature.

The other thing I was thinking about re: portion sizes is that we often go nuts worrying about tiny amounts. But it isn't one small thing that's a problem. It's the overall pattern. I had restaurant leftovers and I split them into 3 portions. I counted them as 1/3 points for each portion. I realized that it doesn't matter whether the portions are exactly 1/3 or not. The points come out the same, even if I actually ate a bit more than 1/3 at one meal and a bit less at the other meal. It's easier to do it that way than figuring out exact points for a bit more or less than 1/3 of the food eaten at a particular meal.

:coffee: :chef: :comp: :book2: :write:

CherryAutumn
08-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Lin S - Congrats on the new measurements.:carrot: Looks great. What you said about portions is definately true.

Hi to the rest of the turtles.:hug:

I need to get back in the routine of writing everything down wether it is a good choice or not. That seems to be one of my main problems. I start a page for the morning to record it and by lunch i have forgotten to keep track and so each day basically has just my breakfast recorded. I am not the kind that likes to use the computer to record. I love notebooks but i cant seem to get motivated.:?::^:

Itryharder
08-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi We've gotten long, so I'll see you all at #221!
Judy