General chatter - More to Love

View Full Version : More to Love

Buttercup
07-28-2009, 11:23 PM
So...what did you think about the show "More to Love"? I was more than a little annoyed that they played up some of the girls insecurties about not finding love due to weight. Then they passed around meat on a stick! WTF! Do they do that on the other love shows? No! The women were all gorgeous, the confident ones stuck out and I liked that but...the desperation that was played up was off putting for me. I don't know how I thought this would play out but I am dissapointed. Oh well. What did you think?

SunshineCA
07-28-2009, 11:33 PM
It hasn't aired here yet. What network is it on?

Sweetcaroline
07-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Boy... I thought the show was awful...

"Hi... nice to meet you.. I'm a rocket scientist"... are you kidding me LOL... I thought she was being funny... not...

I think it portrayed a lot of those girls as 'poor things'... There are always a few girls that say "I'm in love" from minute one, but I got the feeling the producers wanted viewers to feel bad for them...

I'm going to stick my neck out there and say I didn't believe their weights.

Guess I should stick to my news stations and Law and Order... LOL

Sweetcaroline
07-28-2009, 11:46 PM
It hasn't aired here yet. What network is it on?

It's on FOX

amandajoy
07-29-2009, 01:58 AM
aww...I guess I loved the show cause my friends on it. Root for Amanda if you're gonna keep watching it!!!!! Team Amanda!!!!!

SunshineCA
07-29-2009, 03:48 AM
Boy... I thought the show was awful...

"Hi... nice to meet you.. I'm a rocket scientist"... are you kidding me LOL... I thought she was being funny... not...

I think it portrayed a lot of those girls as 'poor things'... There are always a few girls that say "I'm in love" from minute one, but I got the feeling the producers wanted viewers to feel bad for them...

I'm going to stick my neck out there and say I didn't believe their weights.

Guess I should stick to my news stations and Law and Order... LOL

I didn't believe their weights either. I was trying to estimate with their height and body type but some of the numbers didn't add up right. I guess we all carry it differently.

By the way, Law & Order was awesome tonight! :)

SunshineCA
07-29-2009, 03:51 AM
It's on FOX

I was flipping channels and found it before it came on. Thanks! :)

SunshineCA
07-29-2009, 03:54 AM
aww...I guess I loved the show cause my friends on it. Root for Amanda if you're gonna keep watching it!!!!! Team Amanda!!!!!

I wouldn't say I loved it but I'd tune in again if nothing else is on.

How cute. You guys have the same name. I don't remember which one is Amanda but I'll keep my eyes peeled. They should be done with production by now. You know who he ends up with, don't you? ;)

canadianangel
07-29-2009, 08:21 AM
i have to say i was very disappointed in it. I did think the guy-luke was kidda cute, and he was nic. But i think the ladies on there blamed their unhappiness and dating problems on thiere weight. I have been as high as 267lbs, and never had a problem dating. there are guys out there that admire the BBW.

I to dont believe the stats that they gave them. As each stat came up. i was comparing it with my own....and i know that we all carry our weight diffrently..but i ant buying it.

and who bought thoses rings..i want one and to live in a house like that.

which one is amanda again?

ang

Onederchic
07-29-2009, 09:23 AM
I can't be bothered to watch this.

dragonwoman64
07-29-2009, 11:11 AM
I had that same reaction.

Many of those women I thought were very pretty (and had other things going for them, though that wasn't really played up much except for the rocket scientist, who giggled lamely when he commented on it!), and they all sounded desperate, sad and kind of pitiful. I mean, they just meet this guy, and are saying how he's the man of their dreams because he likes big women???

then he says to the blond something along the lines of I have to eliminate some of you, but I'm thinking of another beso (kiss) too (like if she doesn't kiss him, she's history, how tacky is that. I know it's a tv show, and they do some of it for ratings. I guess the thin dating shows didn't have that much more dignity, but that did depress me a little.

And some of those stats had me scratching my head too.

from the previews, I agree with you Michelle that it's not worth my time.

Buttercup
07-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I agree about not watching it anymore. I was curious about how they would portray everyone and I think it is just sad. Anyway, I just wondered what you all thought. I will give good wishes to Amanda though!

sharongracepjs
07-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I wrote a pretty long blog post about it this morning! However, for some reason this site still thinks I'm too new to post the link, so I will cheat:

shrinkingsharon(dot)blogspot(dot)com

:D

HotWings
07-29-2009, 12:24 PM
I have not seen the show, but was thinking about watching it to see what it's like. But, if it is playing on insecurities because of weight.. I know I will hate it. I learned a long time ago that it is not weight when looking for the right guy (unless the guy is really shallow.. and who would want him then anyway?).. it's all about confidence. If these girls think he is the only guy on earth who likes bigger women or the only guy who doesn't really care what a woman weighs, they are sadly mistaken! A lot of guys just like women, period. Taking care of yourself (no matter what you weigh), having confidence in yourself and knowing what you want (and don't want) is the important thing.

Watching desperation.. when it is not necessary.. would just be painful for me to watch.

So should I watch?

sharongracepjs
07-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Bingo, BingoWings! That was exactly my reaction. I actually found the show fascinating as an object lesson/cautionary tale - life is about more than finding love, love is about more than how you look. If you're unhappy with yourself, do something about it - start making healthy choices or start pursuing other areas that will make you hold your head up high.

No one will fall in love with you until you love yourself.

HotWings
07-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Oh boy, sharon... I don't think I will be able to stomach this show. I'd probably be yelling things at the TV. :lol: I guess I will pass on this one.

sharongracepjs
07-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah. Pretty painful to watch. Convicting, though, as I try to deal with my own self-worth issues. I want to learn to love myself before I get to the point of crying on national TV :(

I'm glad I saw the one episode, but can't say I'd plan my week around it as I do the Bachelor/ette :dizzy:

beerab
07-29-2009, 12:59 PM
I refuse to watch that show- they want "real" people on reality shows then cast anyone- don't turn people away because they aren't a size 2 and you'll have more "average" people on reality TV.

They should do a reality show where the contestants never see the guy and vice versa. All they can do is talk over the phone and through screens lol.

sharongracepjs
07-29-2009, 01:01 PM
They have a show kind of like that, beerab! It's called "Dating in the Dark" on ABC - couples have their first couple dates in a pitch black room before they get to see each other and decide if they want to keep dating. It was kinda funny but kinda weird. I only saw the first episode, which came on after the Bachette (which is the only reality TV i follow, I swear! I'm not as lame as you think ;)

beerab
07-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Lol really?! I don't watch enough TV apparently lol!

amandajoy
07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Amanda was wearing a blue dress and she has long dark hair. Shes from glendora and is a waitress. On the website she's wearing a really pretty pink dress and I wish I knew who won!!! Legal reason for not telling.

I was surprised seeing some of the girls weight none of it added up to me but I guess everyone really does carry their weight differently. I know I never look my weight and have been told so.

Honestly I felt like a lot of the girls were like boo hoo hoo I've never had a boyfriend and its because of my size. I wish they would do something about it though. My boyfriend loves me the way I am. Even though I was a size 6 when we first started dating but he feels I haven't changed.

chavwright
07-29-2009, 04:03 PM
I wrote a blog entry about this too: www(dot)healthywrights(dot)blogspot(dot)com. But, I mostly agree with what everyone says: I feel we're supposed to feel sorry for these ladies and that they're desperate. I yelled at the TV for most of the show. I mean, fat girls have lovers. Fat girls go to prom. Fat girls can be happy!

Buttercup
07-29-2009, 06:57 PM
I wrote a pretty long blog post about it this morning! However, for some reason this site still thinks I'm too new to post the link, so I will cheat:

shrinkingsharon(dot)blogspot(dot)com

:D

I read your blog and you are spot on! Maybe I will watch another one so I can throw things at the tv! I also liked your links! Thanks! :D

I wrote a blog entry about this too: www(dot)healthywrights(dot)blogspot(dot)com. But, I mostly agree with what everyone says: I feel we're supposed to feel sorry for these ladies and that they're desperate. I yelled at the TV for most of the show. I mean, fat girls have lovers. Fat girls go to prom. Fat girls can be happy!

I read your blog also and loved how you were able to put into words all I was thinking! I did like the one girl who was a fitness instructor. She had her stuff together. But the 21 year old who had never had a date and said this was her last night and was all teary...well...there must be a whole lot of other issues there!:D

SunshineCA
07-30-2009, 04:10 AM
Amanda was wearing a blue dress and she has long dark hair. Shes from glendora and is a waitress. On the website she's wearing a really pretty pink dress and I wish I knew who won!!! Legal reason for not telling.

Here's the only Amanda I found:

http://images.buddytv.com/usrimages/usr100109447/100109447_01eef649-6e2d-490e-bbde-2168fdd99813-mtl-amanda.jpg

I don't really remember her as I was only watching it here and there. If this is your friend, she's a cutie and I wish her luck, for what it's worth. ;)

dragonwoman64
07-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Amanda's a cutie!

I read the blogs too.

Sharon, I hope you don't mind my quoting you:

"I think there's some grounds to the complaint that the girls are being exploited as a freak show, and I take small issue with severely overweight women being presented as the "real" alternative to Hollywood's waifs. In reality, the "average," "healthy," "normal" American girl falls in the 8-14 size range; pushing 300 is not the only kind of non-size-0-or-2 out there."

I agreed with this. and with the comment about how trapped and sad the girls were presented, and with the whole concept that they couldn't (1) lose the weight if they felt that bad about themselves, or (2) that even if they didn't lose the weight, or while they're in the process of losing the weight they couldn't feel good about themselves.

I'd like to add the physical aspect is just one part, what about personality, accomplishments, spirit, etc.

it's hard not to let stuff like that make you a little ranty, isn't it, ha!

Chavonne: These women are worthy of love. A dating show is never someone's last chance. My heart ached for these women. But I was also upset by even more perpetuating of societal messages that people over a certain weight do not derserve love and affection and friendship. I'm wondering what we're supposed to feel as we watch this.

I wonder what they want us to feel, too.

I didn't have a great dating life as a teen or young adult because I felt so self conscious about my weight. I look back at pics of myself in those days and now I think I how sad it was that I felt so bad about my body when I was 20 or 30 lbs heavier than I should have been (200 when height weight charts said I should be 170/180). I wasted a lot of time and mental energy feeling sorry for myself. (I did go to prom, I had friends.) I also accepted it when "friends" told me I was too heavy to be attractive to guys (at that weight).

I wish I could go back and talk to that younger me! and I'd like to shake these silly women, and/or the producers who are manipulating the show to portray them so strongly this way.

sharongracepjs
07-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Very true, dragonwoman! The fault definitely does not lie entirely with the producers - these girls are responsible for their own bodies and their own attitudes. But it is sad to watch their weaknesses being displayed and highlighted, when that's (hopefully) just one dimension of who they really are.

More than anything else, I've been learning how important the mental side of self-improvement is. How sad for those people who think losing weight will make them like themselves - imagine somehow getting your extra pounds off, then being skinny, and still hating yourself! Where do you go from there?!

As difficult as all this is, we really are fortunate - the struggle to lose weight and become healthy is such a great refining fire to treat your emotional and self-esteem issues as well, if you are blessed enough to have recognized that component in time to target it at the same time you target your waist.

This is a great discussion, ladies!

amandajoy
07-31-2009, 10:16 PM
yep thats her. I love that pink dress she has on. She was barely in the show which I found kind of odd because it seemed like they kept focusing on the same 5 girls boo hooing about not ever having boyfriends. All the attention grabbers. Lets see what happens next week!!! (that is if i'm not the only one watching) I'll keep you guys posted

helwa588
08-01-2009, 01:27 AM
I looked at about 5 mins of the show and turned it off. it's sending the wrong message. they make plus size women to be like these desperate low self esteem girls who had to go on a reality TV show to get a man. this show is highly offensive.

Onederchic
08-01-2009, 01:28 AM
OT - helwa588

LOVE the icon ♥

Deana
08-01-2009, 10:37 AM
I watched it, and I thought pretty much all the women were gorgeous. But I hated that they displayed their height/weight WTF? :mad: Further, I agree that it was over the top with all the.."I never got a date b/c I was the biggest of all my friends"...etc. I mean if the point of the show was to bring 'average' women then why all the focus on weight? Now they are feeding right back into the stereotype of "fat" people. It really put me off, and I wanted to enjoy the show b/c I too am tired of all the size 00 and size 0 chicks on these reality shows, but now they've gone to the extreme and made it ALL about just the weight and "insecure" women who would normally never be loved...which is bulls-- :mad:

Deana
08-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Oh yea and the whole meat on the stick thing, omg are you serious?

SunshineCA
08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
yep thats her. I love that pink dress she has on. She was barely in the show which I found kind of odd because it seemed like they kept focusing on the same 5 girls boo hooing about not ever having boyfriends. All the attention grabbers. Lets see what happens next week!!! (that is if i'm not the only one watching) I'll keep you guys posted

Gotta love the dress! ;)

ajowens
08-05-2009, 12:59 AM
I don't think I feel okay with these girls not wanting to better themselves and their health. It is like they are saying that there is nothing they can do about it so they just aren't going to try. My huband loves me for me at any weight but I love myself and thats why I am working hard. I just think they looked desperate and over dramatic.

Duchesssammi
08-05-2009, 01:09 AM
I also was shaking my head at some of the weights and saying NO way can't be. I wonder where they got the weights from.
I thought it was pretty sad also how all the girls were so desperate for his attentions. Like the one girl that went as fas as to throw herself fully dressed into the pool.
I think the curisoty factor may keep me coming back.

amandajoy
08-05-2009, 02:23 AM
yay!!! Amanda made it through another week!!! I can't believe he kept that girl that was talking crap about how old people were. AGE DOESNT MATTER!!!! Shes a hater

Skittlez
08-05-2009, 03:08 AM
I watched the first episode of this show and it just made me mad. Why DID they post their weights? Yeah it's about plus size women, yeah we know that you don't have to broadcast how much they weigh to the whole world. Do they do that on the bachelor/bachelorette? Yeah didn't think so. The show just seemed depressing, I was excited thinking that it was going to be all about women who are overall happy with their lives, just overweight and want to find love. But nope, most of them have issues up the wazoo that the station is exploiting for entertainment. Most of them need some therapy before they even consider getting in a relationship imo, and fox should be ashamed >.>

But good luck to your friend! If she likes him I hope she gets him :)

Deana
08-05-2009, 09:09 AM
The one girl with the curly hair that is a teacher is SOOOOOOOO lame. I swear I want to punch her in her face EVERY TIME she speaks. So is beyond just desperate to the point of being a stalker and a lame a--. I think the blonde girl is going to win, she has shoulder length blonde hair (can't remember her name). And the one that was "ratting" on everyone before eliminations is going to be the "villan" of the show, along with the girl that got the private date.

Hun.e.B
08-05-2009, 12:19 PM
So glad I'm not alone in this!! This is a repost! didnt see you guys when I searched!

Its like the bachelor only for fat people. As if only fat people can love other fat people? And they go on and on about how its all about whats inside, well then why are they putting the girls' weights up next to their names? So what Fox is trying to tell us is that a fat girl couldnt possibly be beautiful because this guy is promising them that he'll love them for what is on the inside and not the outside??

I get that these girls have more issues to work through because their weight has held them back from living life but this show just seems to be saying fat people arent loveable unless someone really puts forth the effort to look beyond those extra pounds.

Well I'm sorry Fox but there ARE gorgeous big girls!! and those big girls are absolutely loveable and are loved by both big and small!!

Okay rant over!

Buttercup
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
;) Well, I must admit that I watched the second episode. I couldn't help myself. I Love the outfits the girls wear and they do look so pretty BUT the show does highlight food! Like when they are in the kitchen cooking and then the first date with all the eating. It did make me sick to see the teacher act so obsessive like a 14 year old and the Jonas brothers! And of course the 21 year old who had never been on a date. She is over the top! I did hate the one girl who was talking trash about the "older girls"! She will be interesting to watch as the show plays out. They need to show more of the women who are confident in themselves and not the "poor me's". Anyway, it gives me something to get fired up about!

caliyah
08-06-2009, 01:57 AM
i saw the first episode! HOW DEPRESSING!!! I Cant believe this show

jenjen
08-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Does anyone else think the guy is sort of creepy?
I've just watched bits and pieces of the episodes, but I just get this gut feeling that he's not sincere. I can't point out anything he's said or done, but I get a total "creep factor" vibe.

Deana
08-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Jenjen it's funny you said that because I actually think he comes across more "real" than most of the women on the show. He isn't all about "woe is me I'm a big guy and I've never dated bla bla bla".

P.S. Why are they always eating meat on a stick? So far it's 2 out of 2 (episodes).

Greendreamer
08-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I've been watching it and all I want to do is slap some of the girls silly! That one girl, the teacher, almost made me sick how she was acting.

Haley8203
08-06-2009, 07:47 PM
i haven't watched it and i won't.....but i have seen the opening sequence and i hate it, to start it off with the skinnny women in bikinis and then they bring out the big girls, that's messed up if you want a show for bigger girls fine but they don't need to keep comparing big girls to skinny girls! and now hearing they show their weights?!?! that is sooo stupid! i am so embarrassed to be a big girl with this show on seriously.

Deana
08-06-2009, 09:02 PM
I've been watching it and all I want to do is slap some of the girls silly! That one girl, the teacher, almost made me sick how she was acting.

I know! She is so beyond annoying, even he seems weirded out by her. She will be gone by next week I bet.

Buttercup
08-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Jenjen it's funny you said that because I actually think he comes across more "real" than most of the women on the show. He isn't all about "woe is me I'm a big guy and I've never dated bla bla bla".

P.S. Why are they always eating meat on a stick? So far it's 2 out of 2 (episodes).

LOL!!! I noticed the meat on the stick both times too!!!:lol:

Rachey
08-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm getting a vibe from this guy that he's just on this show to hook up with as many girls as possible. He's still young. From the way he acts, I don't think he's ready to settle down yet despite what he's saying.

SunshineCA
08-12-2009, 03:24 AM
A repeat episode was on while I was in Philly. I watched it with a guy friend of mine. He couldn't believe how these women were acting. He said it made many of them look sad and pathetic as if all they had nothing else going on for themselves. To the women who were crying about how they've never been in love etc., he kept saying, "Ohhh come on!!!" or "Suck it up already!" He thought many of them were very beautiful and needed to show more confidence and self-esteem. He did say the guy was the luckiest and happiest guy on earth to be surrounded by so many beautiful women.

Deana
08-12-2009, 01:43 PM
I am over the teacher with the curly hair. I swear I want to punch her in the face. When she told him she was falling for him he just stared at her blankly and then was like well I think you are a great girl lol

The plus side was I did not see any meat on a stick this episode, although they did show them eating quite a bit. What about that Danielle chick when she was eating the chocolate covered banana? I was lmao

bitetoobreakkskin
08-12-2009, 03:18 PM
i caught my first episode last night and was disappointed-im fond of heather i think but overall there is just a lot of whining and crying..i cant stand the teacher either and i thought it was RIDICULOUS when she was telling him she was falling for him, the impression i got was that she was more interested in staying on the show than him. i like that heather talked positive most of the time.

dragonwoman64
08-12-2009, 03:28 PM
;) Well, I must admit that I watched the second episode. I couldn't help myself. I Love the outfits the girls wear and they do look so pretty BUT the show does highlight food!

I know, I let myself get sucked in too after I said I wouldn't watch it! a few of those prom dresses were really nice.

I kwym, re the food. the show is shameless in how much they play that up. Double yikes with the frozen banana! I so agree with the tears, one more drop and I may throw a shoe at the screen (or a brick). Bf and I watch it, and we groan and comment on all the silliness too. Notice how they got rid of 4 girls in one shot (sorry about Amanda!), I think they know they're going to have to wrap this baby up quickly!

ruby2sday
08-12-2009, 10:22 PM
I saw just a bit of the show, but am just really tired of reality tv, unless it's something productive (which never seems to be the case lately).

I just wonder why these women would want to do a show like this, and portray themselves as they are.

I think it's all pretty unfortunate, but the networks wouldn't be able to do these shows without people sticking up their hands to be in them.

dragonwoman64
08-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I just wonder why these women would want to do a show like this, and portray themselves as they are.

I think it's all pretty unfortunate, but the networks wouldn't be able to do these shows without people sticking up their hands to be in them.

I did notice a couple of them are large sized models, maybe it's for the exposure to boost their careers a little. the "no such thing as bad publicity" idea.

the octomom things is completely shameless, Fox 5, you need a serious spanking!!

ruby2sday
08-13-2009, 11:58 AM
I did notice a couple of them are large sized models, maybe it's for the exposure to boost their careers a little. the "no such thing as bad publicity" idea.

the octomom things is completely shameless, Fox 5, you need a serious spanking!!

lol don't even get me going on her !!!

You know what I don't get? Why can't there be something real life but informative and productive on tv??? I can't even stand watching TLC anymore. There are 3 darn shows on multiple birth families, and 3 about little people. Why can't they cut those back and give us something on a real life person that is overweight and doing something about it, and showing us their life and how they're doing it??!

Ugggghhh I really hate TV !

The thing is though, all these stupid shows are on, and people natter about them, but continue watching. And as long as there's ones willing to go on tv and those willing to watch, it all continues and makes the networks rich :)

I miss good tv.

dragonwoman64
08-14-2009, 09:53 AM
lol don't even get me going on her !!!

You know what I don't get? Why can't there be something real life but informative and productive on tv??? I can't even stand watching TLC anymore. There are 3 darn shows on multiple birth families, and 3 about little people. Why can't they cut those back and give us something on a real life person that is overweight and doing something about it, and showing us their life and how they're doing it??!

Ugggghhh I really hate TV !

The thing is though, all these stupid shows are on, and people natter about them, but continue watching. And as long as there's ones willing to go on tv and those willing to watch, it all continues and makes the networks rich :)

I miss good tv.

hey, you should write a pitch and submit it to TLC or whatever station. I actually think that's a great idea. You know that guy that lost all that weight living with a personal trainer made a documentary of his efforts and it's been telecast. You might have to expand the concept using several people since some might have faster and better success than others. I bet a less gimmicky reality show about weight loss really would appeal to a lot of people.