Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #1  

Default Can someone explain why this happened?

I'm so confused about my body right now. And I'm not sure where to go from where I'm at without doing more damage. Since many of you have maintained losses for awhile, perhaps someone has dealt with something similar- thus the reason I'm posting here.

I am just now getting over Swine Flu. I was very sick for a week and I've had residual lung crap hanging on for another week. Today will be my first workout in 2 weeks and it will be a light and easy 30 minutes- just to see where I'm at and try to regain my habit of working out.

During the time I've been sick, my calories have been very low (1,000 or so) The first week I lost 3.8 lbs. I know that weight lost when sick isn't real weight lost. I expected to rebound somewhat when I brought my calories back up to their normal level of 1,600- 1,900.

What I DIDN'T expect is what's happening now. My calories are still in the 1,200 range but my weight is climbing rapidly. I've 'regained' the 3.8 lbs. I lost PLUS some- and I haven't even started eating 'normally' again.

This has caused me to be really scared to up my calories. I know I need to but I'm worried about gaining another 4+ pounds when I do. I have to work so D*** hard to get the weight off that the gaining is really doing a number on me emotionally. I feel like I'm just damned to be fat forever. I feel like I'm just wasting my time making efforts when the smallest thing sends my body right back to the 190 it wants to maintain. I've got at least another 50 lbs. to lose- I can't just 'maintain', I have to progress. I'm just feeling really sad, hopeless and frustrated. Can someone explain why my body is doing this?
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

There IS no explanation. You were sick. You're body was/is all out of whack. You are still recovering and there's no rhyme or reason. Your body has a reason for doing what it's doing - you (& us) are just unaware of what that may be. Go back to your "normal" routine. Drink lots and lots of water and let your body fully heal.

The only thing I'm uncertain of from your post is - were you having trouble making progress BEFORE the flu hit? Are you asking for advice on that? If so, let us know.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: see WT

Height: 5'6''

dear bindersbee, i'm no expert, but i would say that you don't need to worry because i'm sure you lost all that weight during your illness (glad it's over now! ) mostly because you were practically dehydrated, which is very common for a flu, so you lost your water and now that you started eating normally and 'restoring' your sodium, the water is coming back, adding to your weight. another thing is that your body must have felt like it's starving and maybe went to 'starvation mode', now trying to catch up where it left of and holding on to the food you eat now.
i've been there quite a few times, so now i know if i don't eat enough for a few days and lose too much weight, it'll all come back as soon as i start eating normally. i usually just continue eating my usual meals and wait - in a few days, things go back to normal. so let's say you'll go back to where you were before the flu, and that's fine, in my opinon.

so, don't worry, just go back to your program and be patient, i'm sure it will be fine!
quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

You're still recovering from being sick! Sometimes your body just needs some extra time to readjust. Keep doing what you're doing for a couple more weeks. I doubt you will actually gain much -- maybe a couple pounds, which will go right away again once you're totally healthy.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

I don't think 2 weeks is long enough to go into "starvation mode." I suspect you're dehydrated, and your body needs some time to readjust. Are you on medication still? Sometimes that will cause a temporary weight gain as well. I think once you get back to your regular routine - and maybe keep your calories a little lower - you'll be fine. If once you're truly well, and still not losing, then is the time to revisit what you're doing. But let yourself get back to normal before you decide that something new needs to happen.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #6  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'd go with the dehydration-then-body-out-of-whack hypothesis as well. You've lost a lot of water while being sick, were dehydrated, and now that things are getting balanced again, your body is probably stocking up on water to 'make up' for what it has lost during your illness. I'd say that if you're eating sensibly and you know it, then you don't have to worry yet. Sometimes our bodies are just really, really weird like that.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote