View Full Version : Weekly Chat: July 29- August 2

Tejas
07-27-2009, 07:39 AM
New Pages !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cofdate: :gossip:

Tejas
07-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Good Morning Everyone:

Vickie left us a message this morning on last week's thread, saying she would be back on Wednesday and wishing us a good two days.

I've been to spinning class and now have to get ready to go to the office.

I heard on the radio this morning that it hasn't even been as hot as 85F in Toronto this summer. Of course, we're not alone. The DJ said that 3000 reporting stations in the US are reporting temperatures at least 8 degrees cooler than normal, mostly in the northeast and the southeast.

BBL,
Rhonda

beach bum
07-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Good Morning Ladies:)

I'm happy to report that I lost 5-lbs out of 8 gained on my cruise so,its looking good that I started shifting calories,the day after our return.

I'm also happy to report at my over indulgence of of my low day didn't harm my effects to get the first 5-lbs off.

Today I'm going to work on my food journal for this week, and try to stay under 500 on my low day,not like I did this week.

Sandra-thanks for your congrats,I hope to make it this time around as I would love to hit my goal by the end of this year.

SLOANE-Thanks for your congrats also,one good thing about our HHH days of summer you tend to eat lite with more garden salads and fruit thrown in to make it more refreshing.

RHONDA-Thanks for starting us up again week after week. Yes I saw that,hope she has a wonderful time with her family. Hope the weather is good for the finial of the Canadian Open as it was postponed again yesterday afternoon on account of rain.

VICKIE-BIG CONGRATS on your 1.4 weight loss,you're really doing terrific on the JC system.

sloanie
07-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey chickies! I'm busy as usual. Today, we are working outside and inside. DH and DS are burying downspout drain pipes and I am relocating "junk. Since we are starting to work in our family room, I am moving all of our stuff to the upstairs play room. Once I get all of our mess in one place, I plan to take about 20-30 minutes every day after school to go through it to throw away/organize it. I am one of those people who tends to get distracted, so I'm hoping that having everything in one room will alleviate that problem.

Maryann-sounds like your plan is working. Keep up the good work!

Rhonda-it really has been cooler here this summer. How is your BP? I hope things are going well!

I hope the rest of you are having a productive day! I have to work at our school's preregistration tonight from 5:30 to 8:30, so I'll bbl

Tejas
07-27-2009, 08:58 PM
How did everyone do today?

I did OK, very low calorie and all Core. Of course, I'm hungry! I might eat a little before bed because I'm supposed to have a fasting blood sugar done at 11AM tomorrow. Otherwise, all is good.

And, NO rain today.

Rhonda

sloanie
07-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Rhonda-I've been op all day. I would love some chocolate, but I don't have any. It's probably a good thing that I don't!

Good luck with your FBS tomorrow!

beach bum
07-28-2009, 09:13 AM

Nothing new to report, after yesterday W-I. Going to follow the same strategy asI did before and see if it will work again.

Its very humid on the cape this morning,I think this time we are going to put the A/C in the living room, as we stalled the action due to the nice sea breezes we get in the afternoon. My sinuses are really bothering me,don't want to do anything but veg for the day.

SLOAN-I wish I had you strength & ambition ,my basement is a mess I have empty cardboard boxes that here to be broken up put in a pile tried with string and thrown in the dump. That project was suppose to be done before we left on the cruise and it still isn't done.

RHONDA-Eating wise I went a little over board with my supper,and than with snacking. Have to keep my hands busy but its to hot to finish my crocheted sofa throw cover.Hope your FBS was ok.

sloanie
07-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Mornin' y'all!

The countdown is on! I go back to work on Friday morning :( I can say that I have had a good summer, so I won't complain too much ;) I think the pms monster got me last night, and I went on an eating frenzy. I am too embarrassed to list what I ate. Oh well, to paraphrase Miss Scarlett, "today" is another day! I used to think "starting over" meant I had failed, but I now realize the problem starts when you quit "starting over". So onward and upward or downward as the case may be!

I have more junk to shift around today, so I'd better get busy. You all have a great day!!

Tejas
07-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi:

Sloan, I'm with Maryann...I need your energy!! I've stayed home this afternoon and we're painting the kitchen. That means covering the one wall painted in chili pepper red into a white one. I LOVE my red wall, but ...

And, then there are the parrot green drawer fronts. I had my kitchen looking like a Mexican cantina. That's not exactly "southern Ontario"!

We had a home inspection today. There's a few things we should do, but nothing too serious, as in there are no termites. Those a BIG problem in Toronto in the area where I live.

I couldn't find my paper work for the blood work, but I did get the bone density scan and the mammogram. I got a new blood work form and will do it in the morning. Not a big deal.

I lost about 1/2 pound. Boy, I'm almost hoping I have a thyroid problem :lol: I have never done so much exercise and had so much trouble losing weight. My age is catching up with me, I'm sure.

It's really humid here too Maryann, but not hot. The rain has really hurt the crops, I hear.

BBL

Rhonda

TechAlum
07-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi All

I didn't realize I hadn't posted since Friday :o

To answer questions although I'm not sure who asked what:

Ravelry - is a knitting/crocheting community. It is really cool and has thousands of posts on its forum every day, sometimes I just get lost.

DH is doing well, tomorrow he goes to the dr and gets the staples out. Hopefully everything will look good. But he's healing much faster this time (I know it wasn't as big a surgery but.....) Now if his colon just figures out how to work right....

The farmer's market had loads of stuff, I really enjoy going and getting fresher ingredients than the store.

My goal for this week is to begin getting back on track and I've decided to take baby steps 1) No wine except at nephew's b-day on Sat 2) Walk every day (at least 5/7) 3) drink water!!! Next week I will start tracking again and try to go back to core foods.

Well I should go get dinner started. Have a great night everyone.

-Tech

ontarget
07-28-2009, 06:44 PM
We had lunch out today and did well. Working in the yard? Lots of sweating going on with that. It's not as hot as it was but the humidity is really high. (That's my weather report for today. :lol:)

Congratulations, Maryann. You're very focused.

So are you, Rhonda. I need to have some of your "to it ness" rub off onto me.

blessedwithsarah
07-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Rhonda, interesting you mentioned your thyroid. I am hypothyroid and one way I can tell if my meds are off and I need an increase is when my blood pressure goes up! The last time I needed it fixed, my blood pressure was running 140/100-110. Once my levels were back to where I need them, it went back to normal. I wonder if you do have something going on. There are a lot of other symptoms of hypothyroid - brittle nails, dry skin and hair, heart palpatations. If you search on the web there are a few sites that have a Dr checklist of symptoms to talk to your doctor about. HTH

Well, today was HOT HOT HOT. I ran my errands and then went for a bike rid. DD over the weekend figured out how to ride a two wheeler without training wheels. She was at a friends and when I went to pick her up, there she was riding around without any problems. The girls ride their razor scooters like mad --those have let them get their balance so riding a bike isn't a problem. There are 3 girls in our neighborhood all the same age -- they all were riding without training wheels last saturday. So, we got her a new big girl bike on sunday. It was her first new bike - all the others were hand me downs. So I pulled my bike out of the basement and cleaned it off.

My ride today was great -- I went about 5 miles. The one thing I found great about riding, there was no way I was going to walk a bike. So I had to push on and keep going. When I was running/walking, it was very easy to not push myself and walk. It was actually fun!!

Well, off to have a smoothie. I'm doing OK foodwise. I need to track my non core foods a bit better. Tomorrow is a new day!

Donna, do you crochet or knit? I crochet and I'm looking for a baby sweater pattern that is easy for a beginner. Any suggestions? My niece is due in December, I thought I'd give it a try.

Sloan, when do the students come back to school? DD starts on Sept 2nd, which is very early for us. Normally they don't go back until after labor day.

HI Vickie, Maryann and Sandra! You too Nancy!

sloanie
07-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Hey chicks! I have a big prayer request. DH had some heart rhythm problems this afternoon, and the cardiologist had me take him to the emergency room. Long story short, they kept him, and he will have an arteriogram tomorrow. All of the tests they did this afternoon were normal, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I'll try to post tomorrow afternoon and tell you how things went. Thanks in advance for your prayers!

blessedwithsarah
07-29-2009, 07:34 AM
Sloan, HUGS. Keep us posted. Keeping him in my prayers.

sloanie
07-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks, Paula

I'm on my way back to the hospital. DH called and is doing fine. His test will be around 12 or 1 o'clock this afternoon. I'll update you all when I can.

Tejas
07-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Oh my, Sloanie....prayers coming your way!

Paula, I love the DD stories...what an achievement, no training wheels!

Sandra, we'll be in Texas toward the end of August. I'll bring you some "to it ness"! :hug: I'll trade you for some chicken fried steak!

Rhonda

Vickie
07-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I'm home but not caught up yet. I skimmed the posts quickly and saw Sloan's post about her DH.

Sloan, please know that I'm praying for you both and am hoping to hear some great news soon.

I'll be back later to catch up with all of you.

beach bum
07-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Its going to be another scorcher today and the A/C's are on,the only thing I will be doing to day is my laundry for the week. Not going out at all,will be doing my bike spinning again.

Today I'm going on my low cal.day and feeling that its going to work as I don't feeling like eating in this heat.

RHONDA-Congrats on your 1/2 pound sometimes the weather has a lot to do with our weight,I can feeling the swelling in my feet[shoes feel tight] and wrists[watch band hurts].Did you ever thing that your building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat???? Have no energy at all.Going to take the day off from housework.

SANDRA-Thanks,Maybe I'm focused on my weight but don't have energy.Feeling like a rag doll and just want to sit around and do nothing.

TECH-Happy to hear everything is ok with you and your DH.Does the thread have any patterns ??? I might just go over there and see what going on.

PAULA-The only thing about HHH day of summer you don't feeling like eat that much I going to munch on salads all week long.You did great with your 5 m bike riding.

SLOAN-Sorry to hear about your DH prayers are on its way.

VICKIE-Glad you're home and had a safe trip.

have to go will be back later

sloanie
07-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Update: DH's cardiologist came in this morning and said he wants to do a stress test/nuclear medicine study first. He ordered it this morning, and we just found out that the secretary never ordered it! He is doing fine, but is starving! I'll post again when I know more.

sloanie
07-29-2009, 06:45 PM
What a crazy day! We are home, but no tests were done today. Around 3pm, the cardiologist came back and told us that the hospital screwed up and did not order the test he wanted. He gave DH the option of staying the night or going home and having the test tomorrow. He said he would not be offering to let us go home if he thought DH was in danger, so we are home. He will go in tomorrow for a stress echocardiogram. The cardio doc feels like it is a good test and will tell him what he needs to know. DH is happy to be in his own bed, and I have a good feeling about the test tomorrow. Thanks for all the messages, and I will follow up tomorrow when I know more.

Tejas
07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Sloanie, I imagine the MD absolutely wouldn't let him go home if he didn't think it was safe, and sleeping at home is far preferable to being in a hospital where you might get sick!! Cheaper too!

So, we went out for lunch today and I ate a hamburger. I can't tell you how long it has been since I had a good hamburger cooked in a cafe. It was delicious and worth all 12 points that I counted for it. Of course, I was ravenous tonight, but I had cereal for dinner!

I'm going for a personal best this weekend. I'm going to go to spin class Friday-Monday, 4 days in a row. And if I do what I normally do, I will have exercised vigorously from last Sunday through to next Monday, into the next week, working on 13 straight days of exercise :coach: On Tuesday and Thursday I don't spin, but go to personal trainer...I'll report in! IF I can even move :lol:

Off to bed, tired after painting most of the day.

Rhonda

beach bum
07-30-2009, 08:18 AM

Had a wonderful surprise on the scale lost 2-lbs but I'm not making it official until Mondays W-I as I have a weekend with Leo birthday in it,celebrating on MON so its not going to be that bad. Will make this Monday my high calorie day instead of the low calorie day instead.

SLOANE-Glad that your DH is home,and that he out of danger. Prayers still being said.

RHONDA-Glad you found a place that has good hamburgers. On the Cape the food in restaurants aren't the greatest like pizza or burger,as they specialize in Fish & seafood being a sea port. But again I'm spoiled living in NY all my life where you could have almost any kind of food imaginable.

TechAlum
07-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Hello All,

Not much going on here. My food choices have been poor but I have stuck to my goals mostly (I didn't walk yesterday :o).

Sloan - :hug: Hope all went well with your DH today. I know mine sleeps way better at home, no one coming in to take his vitals or give him drugs every 4 hrs.

Paula - Yea for DD. What fun. I really need to get my bike out I haven't been riding at all this year. I knit, although I have crocheted in the past. I can strongly recommend Ravelry for patterns though, I signed on and searched free+crochet+baby sweater and 20 patterns came up, I'm sure there's more if you're not looking for free. The thing I like best is that they have a place to store your projects so if you choose a pattern you can see how others made it, one I bag I checked had over a 1000 projects posted. Sorry to go on so.....

Maryann - Had to turn on the AC here too, but not for heat but because a skunk has decided to start spraying our neighborhood :eek: and we couldn't take the smell anymore. Thankfully the dog hasn't gotten any!!! See my response to Paula about patterns. Just FYI It's free to join but you have to be signed on to view anything.

Rhonda - Sometimes nothing will do like a good burger. Have fun with that spinning.

Sandra - You can sweat for me.....I could never move to TX.

Coco & Vicki - How's it going???

Well I should head up for lunch.

Have a great day everyone.

-Tech

sloanie
07-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for all of the prayers and good thoughts! It really makes a difference when you know people are praying for you! DH had his test today, and the results were good. He will not need any further tests. Of course, we are both very thankful. Now I know I can get him back to remodeling! Work, work, work :devil:

I have been reading the posts, and it sounds like everyone is doing well. I have to go to school tomorrow, so I'll check in from there.

Have a great night y'all!

Tejas
07-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Hi:

Well, I've reneged on my four straight spinning days already. I'm not going tomorrow. For various reasons, I've not done by fasting blood sugar yet. So, tomorrow morning is the time. I don't want to go spinning on an empty stomach, so I'll just skip it. Three days in a row is more than enough.

The workout this morning wasn't as tough as Tuesday's was, but the trainer is very good and keeps us moving. :club:

Today we ran "hurdles." She brought tires and we did that move you've seen football players do with tires on the ground. Then we up and down the park stairs (29 of them) about 4 times; up and down the kids' jungle gym; stepping up on the picnic table seat, onto the table, down the other side; back to the stairs and on and on. That's before we laid down on the soggy ground to do ab work!! Whew....

Today I stayed home from work and worked on the kitchen more, and in the garden. The kitchen is about 4 hours away from being finished I think. And that will be everything...painting, cleaning, cleaning 'fridge and stove, bringing order to the cabinets...I mean CLEAN!

But, tomorrow I have to go to the office. Believe me, I'll be glad to get away from here.

Maryann, I've been to the Cape. I lived in NYC from 1967-1970. I loved it but was ready to go back to Texas, and I did. I went to the Cape a few times in the 80's. I like it there too.

Donna, I hope you get out on your bike. You have said how much you like it...give yourself a present by getting out on it.

Sloanie, hope things went OK with your DH today.

Coco, Sandra, Vickie :wave:

Rhonda

Tejas
07-30-2009, 07:12 PM
just read your post, Sloan...get that guy back to work!!!!
No slacking off just because he had a little heart blip ;)

beach bum
07-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Good Morning Ladies

Nothing new, going to out,for a while and than watch the Buick Open this afternoon.Lost another .5 this AM. Going to be on my low calorie count today and for the weekend on the high end.

DONNA-WHOOOOOOOO!!! what a stink hope you go the odor out with the A/C. We had a dead skunk in our basement window well,and we smelled the odor but we didn't find him until much later.
Thanks for the pattern information. I had a lot of the web site bookmarked but when my computer went nuts,I lost all the patterns.

SLOANE-That's what were here for[group of cyberspace friends],not only for weight support but for every day life events and tragedies.REMEMBER ALWAYS PRAYERS DO WORK.

RHONDA-Your definitely the :queen: SPINNING QUEEN:queen: on this board. I got lazy and only do 60 reps every 5 mins of a 30 m ride. Now I have never been to Texas,I seen the eastern coast & west coast but never in the middle of the country. Maybe one day when we stop cruising.

coco99
07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi Everyone
Sorry I havent been on here.
But I have just been down in the dumps. I did manage to lose 3 lbs this week. So I should feel good about that. But not sure what is going on with me.
My feet and legs are really bothering me. Seems like when I try and do any walking my feet are swelling for some reason.
Guess I am going to have to the Dr and see what is going on.
I will have to catch up on everyone. Hope everyone is doing ok.
We are leaving tomorrow to go camping. But am taking the laptop. So will be checking in.
Well got to go and check on the critters. They sure are keeping me on the go.
Have a great day everyone.
Thinking of each of you.
coco

Tejas
07-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi All:

I have very good news. The cardiologist said that my BP is normal. He says that my only problem is that my BP goes up in the doctor's office. Well, we know the cure for that, don't we? ;) So, that is a major, major relief. I'm throwing my monitor out the window because it is obviously reading high, even if it is calibrated with the GP's.

Coco, I hope whatever has you in the dumps goes away. You should, indeed, be very pround of your loss. Maybe our old friend, sodium, is causing your feet to swell.

Donna, I hope the skunk smell goes away. We have a friendly skunk also, who likes to leave us a calling card from time to time!

:wave:

Rhonda

sloanie
07-31-2009, 05:27 PM
First day back to school and it feels like we never left. I had a pretty good day. My co-teacher and I are writing new lesson plans, so we are going to be busy this year, but it will be great when we are done.

GTG help DH with some remodeling. BBL

sloanie
07-31-2009, 08:17 PM
All is quiet now, so I thought I'd come back.

Rhonda-I am so glad to hear about your BP! Lots of people have "white coat hypertension". Now where's that salt shaker? :hungry:

Coco-I'm sorry about your "blahs". Maybe that camping trip is what you need! Congrats on the 3 pounds :congrat:

Donna-how is your DH? I hope he is doing well!

Maryann-congrats on the loss! Keep up that calorie rotation program! Sounds like it's working!!

:wave: Vickie, Paula and Sandra

Have a good night everyone!!

beach bum
08-01-2009, 12:08 PM
HI Ladies:)

Just waiting until my dinner is cooked I thought i post briefly before the Buick Open starts.Had a great low cal day yesterday and the amazing thing I'm not hungry after having one of those.This morning another 1/2 lb gone.I'm going to plan my weekend with a a high cal today and a Med cal tomorrow as it my DH birthday.I would like to eat a little more celebrating his day.Hope by Monday W-I the pound will stay off until I can record it on my siggy.

COCO-Big Congrats on your 3 lb weight loss.Sorry about your feet & legs swelling, is probably the heat that bring this on.I know I get that way with all the HHH days we had.

RHONDA-That excellent new about your BP. Mine goes up when I reach the doctors off and he always has to do it at the end of the visit to make it down again.

SLOANIE-Hope you have a wonderful school year,and all stress this year ceases. Thanks I Love this new way of rotating calories.I thought at first the low days would leave my hungry that I would binge but just the opposite, I'm not looking for foods to eat like I use too.

Have a great afternoon

Tejas
08-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi All:

Maryann, good to hear that the low calorie day wasn't too hard. I often have better intentions than results on those days :lol:

I've been spinning, grocery shopping and painting. Now, what did I say? The kitchen needed about 4 more hours....hmm, I was wrong. Oh well, I am (really) almost finished.

I did have one really good idea. Our downstairs bath is damp. So, I suggested that we get another dehumidifier and turn it on with the door closed to really dry out the room. So far, it's really working well.

This has NOT been the summer I planned! I thought that the house would be sold by now and we'd be having a nice vacation. It's not, and we're not! So much for my fantasies!

BBL,
Rhonda

sloanie
08-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Rhonda-I heard a quote once that said: Life is what happens while we're making plans. I think that can be true for all of us at one time or another. I know I need to listen to my own advice, but like you all have said to me: "it will be so nice when you are done"

Maryann-sounds like you have a fun weekend planned. We are going tonight to a dinner where my father is being honored as a distinguished alumnus of his high school. All of my siblings will be there. I'm sure it will be a special time. My dad is a retired obstetrician, and in his speech he will be telling the group that he delivered enough babies to populate the small town in which he lived during high school; 10,000! Pretty awesome!

I hope you all are having a good weekend. Get some rest, chickies!!!

Vickie
08-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Good Morning Chicks. Sorry I haven't been around. I'm still trying to get over my sinus/gland infection. Doc is not sure what is causing it. It may be allergies. I'm back on Singulair and hope that helps. I've been having the darned smokey smell alot again and am wondering if it is from eye strain and/or the glossy screen on my Mac. Today I just started wearing my glasses at the computer to see if that will help. I seep my eye specialist in September and will ask him what he thinks since I've never asked him. Then if there are no answers, I'll go to the Neurologist that my Internist recommended. That's really scary to me for some reason. Anywho....know that I care about you all very much but I'm limiting my time at the computer screen.

I had a wonderful mini-vacation but ate a bit too much. I think I may have a 1 pound gain tomorrow. I didn't exercise because I've had this stupid headache for about 4 days. It isn't a traditional migraine that people describe though so that's what make me nervous.

Stay on program chicks and drink your water!

sloanie
08-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Mornin' chicks! Ate all the wrong foods last night, and we have a family reunion today :dizzy: Back on the wagon tomorrow!

Vickie-I hope you feel better soon. Try not to worry! We will all be praying for you!

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday! BBL

Tejas
08-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Good Afternoon all:

Sloanie, that expression is a quote from John Lennon, in case you didn't know.

Vickie, I hope you get some "closure" on the smokey smell issue. That must be aggravating and scarey.

We went out to breakfast and I ate too much grease, but I'll let that be the end of that. Today is just more of the same here. Toronto is having its annual Caribana festivities. Over a million people come here for the parade and festivities. I would love to be out dancing to the beat but that is just too many people for me!

BBL,
Rhonda

coco99
08-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Hi Everyone
Hope everyone has had a great day.
We had alot of rain during the night and this morning. But finally clearing up. Now the bugs are out. YUCK!!

VICKIE Hope you feel better.

Wont get to weigh in tomorrow. So hope I can stay on track this week.
Did bring lots of fresh veggies and some dip with us. And some fruit salad.
And will try and drink mostly water.
Well am going to get off here for now.
Have a great evening everyone.
Thinking of each of you.
coco

sloanie
08-02-2009, 08:01 PM
We had a very good time at the reunion. It is always good to see family and see that people still value family and those special ties.

Coco-have a great time :D

Rhonda-thanks for the reminder. I knew that! ;) Sorry about your grease issue. I have the same problem :o

Tomorrow is our first day with students. Wish me luck!

ontarget
08-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi there, Chickies. Sorry I was MIA & AWOL. Thank you, Rhonda, for checking up on me.

We've just had a visit with Curtis' daughter, her hubby, and our 2 grands. It was so good to see them. Now we're excited that we'll get to see them again next weekend. Are we getting spoiled or what?

I don't have time to respond to each of you but know I'm thinking of you. I'llbe back tomorrow to see how you're doing.

beach bum
08-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Don't have time to post as my DH & I are running out to have a usual petscan. will be back later to post.

Oh!!! I W-I this morning and I down 1 and my new total is 170.5

blessedwithsarah
08-03-2009, 09:04 AM
New pages.....come on over.