Weight Loss Support - As I swollow 2 hotdogs with out chewing!

ajowens
07-25-2009, 10:20 PM
I began a diet a few weeks ago. The first week I lost 6lbs. I eat exactly what the food pyramid asks and just a ton of water and nothing more. NO extra SUGAR, SALT or anything else that tastes good. I go to bed hungry and wake up dreading the day. Now after 7 more days... I lost nothing so what do I do???

I EAT TWO HOTDOGS! :o Its like I didn't even think first. I don't know how to stay motivated when I do not see results. I see the scale and just want to eat!

I am not sure how to push past no results?????

rockinrobin
07-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I began a diet a few weeks ago. The first week I lost 6lbs. I eat exactly what the food pyramid asks and just a ton of water and nothing more. NO extra SUGAR, SALT or anything else that tastes good. I go to bed hungry and wake up dreading the day. Now after 7 more days... I lost nothing so what do I do???

I EAT TWO HOTDOGS! :o Its like I didn't even think first. I don't know how to stay motivated when I do not see results. I see the scale and just want to eat!

I am not sure how to push past no results?????

I'm a little confused. Is there some sort of specific plan that you're on? One that calls for you to only eat things that don't taste good? One where you go to bed hungry and dread the day? Because I know for me, I would last on that - oh I don't know - an hour.... How can one stick to something long term if they're not enjoying what they're eating and dreading the day?

There are going to be plenty of times where you don't see results. That's where commitment comes into play. And determination and perservance and dedication and patience for starters.

All those things will be much easier to muster up if you are enjoying your plan and LOVING the foods that you're eating. And looking forward to another day of good, delicious, healthy eating. With foods that both taste good and are good FOR YOU. Foods that keep you totally and completely satisfied. There is no need whatsoever to go hungry and eat tasteless, boring foods. I therefore urge you to rethink your plan.

ajowens
07-25-2009, 10:55 PM
I guess I haven't experimented correctly. I just eat veggies and protien and 2 fruits. Its all so plain! Do you have any favorites??

ValRock
07-25-2009, 11:05 PM
First of all. Say no to the hotdogs, they're loaded with nitrates and if you want to cheat there are a lot yummier things to waste calories on ;).

Secondly, if the foods you're eating are gross or plain or boring you're doing it ALL wrong!!!! Healthy food is delicious!

What do you like? What kinds of foods are delicious to you? If you're not eating foods you'd be happy to eat for the rest of your life it won't be a sustainable plan and without a sustainable plan you will gain it all back before you know it!

You CAN do this, don't make it harder than it has to be!

And for goodness sakes season your food!!! Garlic, peppers, sea salt, and herbs are my best friends!

HotWings
07-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi AJ: If you are that hungry, I am wondering how many calories you are taking in each day? Also, you can fill up quite well on lots of low cal veggies.. green beans are only about 40 calories for an entire cup! Toss a bunch of green veggies in the fry pan with some extra virgin olive oil or cooking spray and sautee til they are how you like 'em.. add a baked chicken breast (spice it up good!) and some yummy brown rice (cook it in chicken broth for added flavor instead of water). Really experiment with spices, etc... and you can use also use the chicken broth to "fry" things up in a frying pan without adding fat/calories.

You just have to experiment with what you are allowed.. and I am finding making a lot extra and fridging the leftovers makes it really easy to stay on my plan.. I don't just bake one chicken breast, for example.. I put a whole pan in. During those times you are really hungry.. it's nice to know there is something in the fridge you can eat and not go off plan.

You might also take a look at http://www.hungry-girl.com/ ... there are lots of low cal recipes that are yummy on there that might fit with your plan. :yes:

Whatever you do it is likely going to take more time preparing food.. but it is worth it and not nearly as time consuming if you make a bunch and fridge the rest. Good luck to you!

HotWings
07-25-2009, 11:14 PM
PS: The first two weeks are HARD.. give yourself some credit for sticking with it this long.. now you just need to personalize it :)

p7eggyc
07-25-2009, 11:14 PM
:hug: Two hotdogs are not ideal choices but also not the end of the world. Try and take a deep breath and let's see what we can figure out.

I assume you are talking about the USDA food pyramid right? There are fats and dairy and discretionary calories included in that so I think maybe you are being too restrictive. What kinds of whole grains are you including? Do you tolerate and enjoy dairy? How are you preparing your protein? If you share a bit about what you like and maybe a bit about your comfort level with cooking, I bet we can come up with a few ideas.

Have you tried roasting the veggies? You can do that right now on the grill or in the oven. Simply toss one or more of the following: carrots, squash, eggplant, sweet potatoes, onions w/a little evoo (I'd shoot for 1/2 tsp per serving) and some salt and pepper and whatever seasoning you like and cook in a single layer on a medium grill or 450 degree oven stirring occasionally until they start to get brown. They will be sweet and flavorful. You can then toss those with diced tomatoes and some whole grain pasta, grate a small amount of really good parmesan (not the green can stuff, look in the dairy section for some fresh stuff) and some ground pepper. You could add a grilled chicken breast or some chicken/turkey sausage. Yummy! You could also take some of them and put them in a whole wheat pita pocket with hummus and some leafy greens for an awesome veggie sandwich.

Do you like to cook from recipes? If you do, I can highly recommend Kathleen Daelemans cookbooks and website. Her food is very easy to make and I haven't found much that hasn't turned out quite well.

What sorts of food did you eat and enjoy before?

Peg

Madison
07-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Great posts above.

The key really is thinking about what kind of foods YOU enjoy eating and then making them either fit into your plan, or looking for substitutions that you can still enjoy.

You need to make the food fit into your life :)

Did you want to post a list of foods that taste good to you and make you feel good - ie increased energy, no bloating and gassiness etc? (ignore whether you think they are healthy or not at the moment) and we can give you some ideas on how to tweak them?

You had GREAT results in the first week - and you can continue with fabulous results :)

rockinrobin
07-25-2009, 11:18 PM
I guess I haven't experimented correctly. I just eat veggies and protien and 2 fruits. Its all so plain! Do you have any favorites??

So then you don't have a formal plan? I wasn't sure if when you said you were following the pryamid if that was indeed the name of some plan.

I pretty much eat veggies and proteins and fruits as well. But I LOVE those veggies and proteins and fruits. Each and every one of them. I MUST get pleasure and satisfaction from my food. I therefore delved, discovered, seeked out and found yummy foods to eat. I suggest you do some experimenting with different herbs, lemon juice, chicken broth, vinegars, etc to make those proteins taste better. Also the veggies - experiment. Use different veggies and find ways to prepare them that are scrumptious. It does take time, but it's worth the effort. There are plenty of delicius recipes right on the internet. You can just google for instance - healthy chicken recipes. healthy salads, healthy vegetables, etc...

You also mentioned that you are hungry. Are you tracking your calories, because remember that those calories can add up as well. But since you are hungry, is it possible that you're going to low on your calories? I suggest that you track them carefully so that you know where you stand. Fitday.com, thedailyplate.com are a couple of sites that can help you with that.

Losing weight is doable for any one and everyone and it doesn't and shouldn't be a dreadful, awful experience. It should be a pleasant and exciting one. Eating healthy is a GOOD thing. But you MUST set yourself up for success. So do some experimenting, track those calories, plan out your foods in advance, eat often, find great foods to eat and make a commitment to do what's necessary to get to be and remain a healthy weight. :)

Heather
07-25-2009, 11:20 PM

Is there a reason you're avoiding whole grains and fats? They are part of the food pyramid too!

Lots of good ideas so far! I agree with a lot of the others -- one of the biggest reason I've been able to keep on doing this is because I love the food I'm eating! I've learned how to cook a lot of lower fat options and keep the taste!

ajowens
07-25-2009, 11:21 PM
It is a plan that is exactly like LA weight loss. It is local but the exact same thing!

I went from loving anything with pasta and cream sauce ;) to no pasta and minimal starches. I love chinese food and anything exotic.

I feel like I am choking down baked chicken and what use to be my favorite raw veggies every single meal. It gets old!

rockinrobin
07-25-2009, 11:23 PM
It is a plan that is exactly like LA weight loss. It is local but the exact same thing!

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with that. Is that a prepackaged meal plan? Where you buy there foods? If it is, and you're not enjoying the foods, then maybe it's not the plan for you afterall.

HotWings
07-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Another idea: Make a little pizza out of a whole grain tortilla - use only lean meats and low fat or no fat cheeses.. toss on some veggies for a little pizzazz.. stick it in the oven on a cookie sheet and watch it all sizzle together.. YUM! I have even added just a little bit of pizza sauce.. but I am trying to stay away from refined/processed foods.

Heather
07-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Well, I don't know that plan, but I think what you're hearing from others is that if not a plan YOU can stick to, then it's probably not the plan for you!

There are lots of us who are successful as calorie counters -- that might be something to try. Whatever you try though, it needs to be something you like and can stick with.

Edited to add: Robin and I pretty much said the same thing! :)

ajowens
07-25-2009, 11:28 PM
I buy all of my food at the store. Its exactly this...

many supliments
2 starches
2 protiens + two protien bars
4 veggies
2 fruits
a glass of milk
1/4 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of oil or light marg.

And of course 80+ oz of water a day with no other drinks.

p7eggyc
07-25-2009, 11:33 PM
AJ,
I see you are in Denver. I don't know what part of town but are you familiar with Savory Spice? It is a locally owned spice store w/really freshly ground spices and they have a ton of varieties of blends and what not. They have a location in Littleton, the original one is near 15th and Platte downtown and they have another in Boulder. Maybe pop in there and get a few of those (you can buy as little as an oz. so you can really mix things up). You might also consider Chinese 5 Spice Powder (they have it) since you like chinese. Can you have lean beef or fish? They have blends for those too.

I would not do well with your plan I must say. I've lost nearly what you want to lose on a plan much, much less restrictive than that. Do you think you might want to change paths or are you in for a lot of financial commitment?

Peg

Madison
07-25-2009, 11:36 PM
I think its great that you enjoy food with lots of flavour because you can make lots of delish lower fat packed full of flavour international "exotic" dishes . . . some Thai, Vietnamese and even Chinese (think Chicken salads with loads of fresh cilantro, chilli . . . etc etc).

On the creamy pasta sauces . . . ok they are not the best, BUT have you tried cooking with fat free evaporated milk rather than cream and loading up the dish with veggies?

http://www.nestle.com.au/nestlerecipe/Recipe/Creamy-Pasta-with-Roast-Vegetables-Recipe.aspx

ajowens
07-25-2009, 11:36 PM
AJ,

I would not do well with your plan I must say. I've lost nearly what you want to lose on a plan much, much less restrictive than that. Do you think you might want to change paths or are you in for a lot of financial commitment?

Peg

Thank you! I live downtown so I will do that Monday!! And I am in deep financially but honestly I will do anything! I will try anything. I want this more than I ever have before!

p7eggyc
07-25-2009, 11:43 PM
:hug: I'm sorry to hear you have invested a lot but I hear your desperation too. I really do believe there are better ways to lose 40 lbs. Ways that will provide you with a better satisfaction and a much higher likelihood that they weight will indeed stay off. I believe places like that are just trying to sell you their crappy food and their stupid supplements and they have no incentive to help you lose weight and keep it off. Quite the opposite.

Peg

ajowens
07-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Peg, What plan are you on?

Featherfire
07-26-2009, 12:24 AM
I can understand frustration on a plateau and bedtime hunger! I've binged that way before too! Now, I keep healthy choice brand hotdogs in the house! You can not feel so guilty that way as they're only 40 calories each and taste in my opinion better than regular! If you're getting those urges to just inhale something, try something that takes longer to eat, or leaves a flavor in your mouth longer. I know water can be boring, so change it up! Add crystal light packets or sugar free gum! You're chewing and feeling like you're eating, but you're burning calories at the same time! Oh, and fireballs really help in holding off a binge urge. Tonight was the last night I had an empty house and no one to supervise my food intake, despite dentist orders to be on soft stuff/liquids only and it was the hardest to not give in to the urge to go find something bad and inhale it, but I popped a fireball and found myself no longer wanting food as my mouth was still cinnamony and burning quite a bit a good fifteen minutes later, and with the water helping tame the fire, cravings gone!
Lots of water is good, but if you find it hard to just drink that, find a light juice to sub for a fruit or veggie. The light V8 Fusions are great!

bargoo
07-26-2009, 12:30 AM
It is possible to eat too much veggies, protein and fruit. Do you have an idea of how many calories a day you are eating.?
You can eat all the right food but if the quantity is too large you will not lose, However 6 pounds in one week is excellent, most of us don't lose as much the second and third week as we do the first week. It is not necessary to eat boring food and be hungry. This is a recipe for failure. There are many good diet plans , check them out and find one that you will follow. I find calorie counting works best for me and it is free.

ajowens
07-26-2009, 12:36 AM
PS: The first two weeks are HARD.. give yourself some credit for sticking with it this long.. now you just need to personalize it :)

I love love love this website. Thank you so much for telling me about it! So many good things on there. Amazing!!!

dutchgirl
07-26-2009, 03:06 AM
You might look at sites like sparkpeople.com and eatingwell.com for healthy lovely recipes.
Yoou can also track your food intake and exercise on sparkpeople and they have excellent articles that can give lots of good advice.
What do you do for exercise?
It may all seem a bit overwhelming, when you first start changing your lifestyle there is so much to learn, but take your time and stick with it, it is worth it.
You are worth it!

Tomato
07-26-2009, 08:14 AM
2 hotdogs ... not ideal, but hey, you could have done A LOT WORSE!

touchmytoes
07-26-2009, 08:51 AM
any diet no matter what it is, is hard...if you had to eat chocolate all day you would soon get fed up of that...

ive done this for about 6 weeks...i keep the carbs to a minimum (its the only thing that works) i eat slowly allowing the food to go down and to make myself feel full..i have two glasses of water with my meal...im not in any way starving myself but im full by the end of lunch and dinner.

i had a day off or two over the weekend, where i may go to the gym I may not..but again if the other half is having pizza il have a salad and then something tasty like a small cake or something...dont deny yourself..in anyway..its not a life worth living , just dont eat as much and exercise...

I was a complete bum...i hated any type of exercise now i love it...and love being able to have the treats every now and then .....they seem even more tastier if that makes sense!!

just jump back on it...you will see results honestly...

xx

rockinrobin
07-26-2009, 09:02 AM
.dont deny yourself..in anyway..its not a life worth living , just dont eat as much and exercise...

Hey, for lots and lots of us here - not denying ourselves anything is EXACTLY what got us to be overweight, obese and morbidly obese. Being a healthy weight does involve some sort of food/caloric restriction. Eating whatever we want when we want, "not denying yourself in anyway" - well that's irresponsible and in the end winds up DENYing ourselves of what matters the most - a healthy and fit body. It denies us of added energy, productivity and stamina. It denies us of self confidence, self esteem and self respect. And lots of us think THAT would be a life, well, to use your terminology - "not worth living". One must decide what it is they want the MOST from life. Treats are fine once in a while. But for the most part, one really must rethink what a true treat is. All the best. :)

Madison
07-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Robin - can you share what you eat on a typical day now that you are maintaining and also what you used to eat on a typical "weight loss day" . . . I am sorry if you have been asked that hundreds of times! (you prob have!) :D

Lori Bell
07-26-2009, 09:17 AM
I buy all of my food at the store. Its exactly this...

many supliments
2 starches
2 protiens + two protien bars
4 veggies
2 fruits
a glass of milk
1/4 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of oil or light marg.

And of course 80+ oz of water a day with no other drinks.

Many years ago I followed the old Weight Watchers exchange program and lost a lot of weight. By the time I got to maintaince we moved to the country and at that time there was no WW on-line and the nearest meeting was 100 miles away...I failed at maintaince. :( BUT, the program was great and I loved it. I lost approx. 70 pounds in 7 months. The exchanges were WAY different than yours. Lets see, for the middle of the road plan, (not quick start) the exchanges were like this:

3 Fat (approx. 40 calories each exchange)
2 Fruit (60 calories each)
4 Bread/starch (80 calories each)
4 Protein (70 calories each)
3 or MORE Vegetables (40 each with Unlimited for all non-starchy Veggies)
2 Milk (90 calories each)

1 floater (up to 90 calories) and 100 optional calories

Depending on how you used your floater the plan was approx. 1200-1400 calories. Your plan is less than 1000 calories. You said you were consuming many supplements...yum, tasty...lol. But a pill is not going to fulfil you. You really need to re-think if this is the plan for you. It is not based on the pyramid, it is based on supplements. :hug:

touchmytoes
07-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Hey, for lots and lots of us here - not denying ourselves anything is EXACTLY what got us to be overweight, obese and morbidly obese. Being a healthy weight does involve some sort of food/caloric restriction. Eating whatever we want when we want, "not denying yourself in anyway" - well that's irresponsible and in the end winds up DENYing ourselves of what matters the most - a healthy and fit body. It denies us of added energy, productivity and stamina. It denies us of self confidence, self esteem and self respect. And lots of us think THAT would be a life, well, to use your terminology - "not worth living". One must decide what it is they want the MOST from life. Treats are fine once in a while. But for the most part, one really must rethink what a true treat is. All the best. :)

you may wish to not point the finger quite so much, i could post 'hey go eat as much as you like' at the end of the day im trying to be supportive.
we all know when we have had too much even when its become a way of life....my ideas are my ideas....im not pressing anything on anyone...

look after yourself and not live a life of constant control thats my ideal...im not saying that its everyones....you havnet got to be obese to be on this web site..nor have you got to share the same ideals....

please be careful when you reply to posts

rockinrobin
07-26-2009, 09:29 AM
you may wish to not point the finger quite so much, i could post 'hey go eat as much as you like' at the end of the day im trying to be supportive.
we all know when we have had too much even when its become a way of life....my ideas are my ideas....im not pressing anything on anyone...

look after yourself and not live a life of constant control thats my ideal...im not saying that its everyones....you havnet got to be obese to be on this web site..nor have you got to share the same ideals....

please be careful when you reply to posts

Calm down. Nobody was pointing fingers. Just as your ideas are your ideas so are MINE. And I'm entitled to them as you are. You brought up a point and I brought up a counterpoint. That's what this is all about. Bouncing ideas around and hopefully many people can take those different points, experiment and find out what works for them. I too was trying to be supportive by sharing my experiences. Please be careful when you reply to posts. ;)

touchmytoes
07-26-2009, 09:40 AM
im perfectly calm.
everyone has ideas, we are all on the same roller coater ride after all....

ajowens
07-26-2009, 12:03 PM
I think I understand. If I always deny everything I am more likely to lose control there for by planning a little treat and extra exercise, I am not depriving myself. Thank you so much! I will try to get more active!

kiramira
07-26-2009, 12:41 PM
I personally think that the more extreme the eating regimen, the harder it is to maintain in the short term, and the more likely it is that you'll yoyo right back when you are done.

But, it does come down to a matter of degree, no? I personally am on a plan that allows me to work whatever I choose to eat into it. But there are consequences, and I DO "deny" myself treats EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I have to. Or else I won't reach my goals. But ruling out, say, chocolate, for ME just isn't viable. I have a mini mini bar very occasionally with my coffee (1 WW point), but only VERY occasionally because if I don't deny myself, I'll eat nothing BUT them. So better to not have them in the house, and just regulate how much I can have. But I don't deny myself this occasional controlled treat.

So I think that if you have a plan that doesn't work with your chosen lifestyle, it isn't going to work. BUT you are going to HAVE to accept that you can't eat the way you did before. You WILL have to either LIMIT your treats or rule them out of your life completely if having them is unmanageable for you. I LOVE Chinese food. I have eaten at a Chinese restaurant exactly ONCE in the past 18 months. Seriously. I LOVE it. I can't MANAGE it. So I've essentially ruled it out of my life. I am DENYING myself this because partaking of it helped to make me obese. My choice. My reality.

You gotta find your own path. And take the advice and wisdom of our proven "losers" because not only have they lost the weight, they are in the (unenviable?) position of learning how to MAINTAIN it. So they MUST be doing SOMETHING right. They've not only talked the talk, they are walking the walk every. single. day. RESPECT that. Now, their personal path may not be yours, but we could ALL step back and see the wisdom of their general philosophy instead of the details of their plan, we might just benefit...

JMHO

Kira

ajowens
07-26-2009, 12:51 PM
You gotta find your own path. And take the advice and wisdom of our proven "losers" because not only have they lost the weight, they are in the (unenviable?) position of learning how to MAINTAIN it. So they MUST be doing SOMETHING right. They've not only talked the talk, they are walking the walk every. single. day. RESPECT that. Now, their personal path may not be yours, but we could ALL step back and see the wisdom of their general philosophy instead of the details of their plan, we might just benefit...

Absolutely! I am a sponge, I want every thing anyone can throw at me and I will soak it up and find my way. I know because of those people that I CAN do it, its just not fast or easy!

kiramira
07-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Ya, I wish it WAS easy...sigh...
Kira

rockinrobin
07-26-2009, 01:09 PM
.dont deny yourself..in anyway..its not a life worth living , just dont eat as much and exercise...

You do understand that I had a serious problem with the wording?

Don't deny yourself - in anyway...it's not a life worth living, just don't eat as much and exercise.

It's not a life worth living? It's not a life worth living??????? I deny my self plenty. If you want to call it that. And for the first time in decades I feel as if I'm living the life I was intended to.

Not only do I deny myself *certain* foods and/or quantities at times, I deny myself other things as well. I'll go shopping and want to come home with half the store. Can't do it. There are consequences to overspending. There are times where I'll want to stay home from work, really badly. I *deny* myself that pleasure because there are consequences. I am a responsible adult. I have responsibilities. I can't *allow* myself everything I see and everything I want. It's okay to tell yourself no sometimes. Not denying myself - anything - in anyway. Sorry, I don't think that's the best advice. And of course this is just my opinion. Others can and will disagree. It is there right.

And then there's: just don't eat so much - well, duh And exercise - another duh..... *JUST* Most of us here have issues with *just* doing these things at one point or another. If it were only that simple.

Not only did I not care for those phrases, I also didn't like how it was written as THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE. Not this is how I chose to do it. Or this is what's worked for me. Or this is one way to do it. Or maybe you might want to try it this way.

But of course, we are all different. And all entitled to our opinions. Others can and will disagree. Of course, it's difficult getting enough these opinions and thoughts out in person. Over the net - next to impossible. So I am more then aware that one's words can easily come out *not right*. Mine certainly fall into that category often.

ajowens
07-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I love your wisdom! You are a true role model. Thank you so much!
http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/tulip-bar/bee01/lb/174/135/169/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

ruby2sday
07-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Robin, I understand what you mean, but also see all sides too. When I was restarting, and telling my Mom about my plan, she said "that seems a bit restrictive", and then we both laughed and she said "but not being restrictive is what got us here to begin with". And for me, that is so true. I don't really feel restricted, I feel hopeful and good, and much better than I have in years.

This is not saying I will never have anything "bad" ever again. That would be unrealistic. However, for now, these are my choices that I'm making, and it's working for me. This is how I want to approach my weight loss right now. I was watching a show the other day, and the fitness expert made a comment that really struck home. In their words, the person was "eating like they're maintaining, not eating like they're trying to lose weight".

Again, it's all about choices we make and finding what works for us.

AJ .. I wish you the best of luck in finding what works for you. Everyone here has posted some great ideas and help, and this forum is the best place to be. Always lots of good information and helpful advice. We are all in this together, in one degree or another. Keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck !

ruby2sday
07-26-2009, 01:31 PM
BTW Robin .. super big congrats on 165 !!! :D

Hope to join you there one day.

rockinrobin
07-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Ruby, again, it was the wording. The wording. And I mean no disrespect to the one who posted it, I know I have a hard time getting my point across at times (like now). ;)

ruby2sday
07-26-2009, 01:42 PM
yep, I get ya ;)

Happens to me too sometimes :)

kiramira
07-26-2009, 01:49 PM
NEVER happens to ME...:rofl:

Kira

touchmytoes
07-26-2009, 01:58 PM
what the heck do you mean..

i was simply saying that when you cut something out that means so much to you i.e chocolate (in my case crisps) they come back and bite you...

so from my point of view (not pushing it on others not telling anyone else what to do and still leaving enough room for others points of view!!) it only works when i dont tell myself i cant have it..but more along the lines of that i dont need it...

stop being so god damned horrible to me!! i was simply trying to give this girl a hand up..and not see the bad side..which we so often do....

get off my case!

rockinrobin
07-26-2009, 02:04 PM
what the heck do you mean..

i was simply saying that when you cut something out that means so much to you i.e chocolate (in my case crisps) they come back and bite you...

so from my point of view (not pushing it on others not telling anyone else what to do and still leaving enough room for others points of view!!) it only works when i dont tell myself i cant have it..but more along the lines of that i dont need it...

stop being so gosh darned with sprinkles on toped horrible to me!! i was simply trying to give this girl a hand up..and not see the bad side..which we so often do....

get off my case!

I apologize deeply and sincerely if you think that I am/was on your case or I've offended you in any way. I just wanted to clarify *my take* on the "not denying yourself in anyway" part.

2fat4u
07-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey, i definetly know how that feels, When i see the scale and no results, im just like "oh whats the point" But think about it, One year from now your going to be like thank god i didnt eat the brownie, or hotdog. When you feel less motivated think of yourself in that nice outfit you could be wearing if u lost weight. Dont be discouraged by those two hotdogs, just pick up where you started and keep moving, there will be weeks were your on a plateau [ even thought i just started my diet or shall i say healthy life style, i know this from past experiance] Dont ever give up because when your 135 you'll be the proudest person ever!

thisisnotatest
07-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Just a little plug for the 'not denying yourself' crew. ;).
I think a lot of the reasons behind the method of weightloss a person chooses (or that chooses them) has to do with personality type.
Personally, for ME, if I tell myself I can't have something, my brain will hover around whatever that something is, until, well, its just not pretty.

I have been actively changing my entire relationship with food over the last year (through reading books like intuitive eating, etc). Now that I no longer deny myself anything, I no longer want everything.
It has taken me a long time to get to this place (about a year), and it isn't everyones desire to take this route, but I just wanted to put it out there. I have lost about 30 lbs (10 over the last year, 20 more recently and steadily) I have 50 more to go.
I spent over 20 years on this/that diet/plan until I realized that it was the plan that was killing me.

this is just another perspective, if a rigid plan makes you rebel, look into things like intuitive eating, etc.

touchmytoes
07-26-2009, 02:13 PM
im perfectly calm.
everyone has ideas, we are all on the same roller coater ride after all....

i saw your point of view and agreed with you that everyone gets to the end or in some cases back to the beginning and then close to the end and then back the beginning again ....im one of them..im just waiting to jump on the scales and see it go back up..i still dont believe that ive lost this amount of weight after seeing the scales creep up so quickly in a matter of months...

i use this site to gain ideas, what works for one may work for me...i only know when i try and so reading lots of different things about 'how to get there' to me is useful..without sounding off and making those who only meant the best feel like rubbish...

i love this site for its honesty...

rockinrobin
07-26-2009, 02:20 PM
i saw your point of view and agreed with you that everyone gets to the end or in some cases back to the beginning and then close to the end and then back the beginning again ....im one of them..im just waiting to jump on the scales and see it go back up..i still dont believe that ive lost this amount of weight after seeing the scales creep up so quickly in a matter of months...

i use this site to gain ideas, what works for one may work for me...i only know when i try and so reading lots of different things about 'how to get there' to me is useful..without sounding off and making those who only meant the best feel like rubbish...

i love this site for its honesty...

Again, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel like rubbish or anything close to the sort. Just as I'm sure you didn't mean to make ME feel like rubbish. I didn't want to bring it up again - I DID think we were okay. The only reason that I did, is because after there were some more responses, I wanted to state and clarify that I really DID think there is more then one way to do this, but what I had issue was - was with the way it was worded. And not to beat a dead horse any further - yes, I know how difficult it is to get ones point across over the net.

Ija
07-26-2009, 08:44 PM
I have been actively changing my entire relationship with food over the last year (through reading books like intuitive eating, etc). Now that I no longer deny myself anything, I no longer want everything.

It took me a long time to ditch the good food/bad food mentality, but doing so certainly helped me acquire the skill of self control with those types of foods. It's been a long learning process, but completely worth it.

p7eggyc
07-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Peg, What plan are you on?

Well, at the risk of stirring things up again...I'm not really on a specific plan. I lost my weight by making lots of small changes over time and I don't count calories and I don't weigh regularly (although I did weigh more when I was in losing mode in 2004). I have counted calories on an occasional day when I was trying to get a handle on things, I often do look up nutritionals for restaurants when dining out, I sometimes measure high calorie items like EVOO but as a rule, I try to practice moderation and little to nothing is totally off limits. I exercise with walking and try to get that done 4-5 times per week for about 45 min. I fell off both the food and exercise wagon pretty hard last winter but I'm back down and my clothes are fitting after buckling down since May. I do not maintain a weight on the low end of normal but I do try to maintain a weight under a 25 BMI. If I wanted to get and maintain a lower weight, I'm sure I'd have to step it up but this is working for me and has been since 2004.

Things I do focus on: Water (not really because I think it helps me lose weight so much as for digestive health and because it helps me avoid drinking calories I don't need), exercise, getting 5 fruit/veggie servings, putting together a plan for the next day and posting that and the day's actuals (at a very unspecific level...no measurements, don't sweat the little stuff, etc) on another message board I visit.

I very nearly joined WW and if I decided that I wanted to weigh in the lower range of my healthy range, that's probably the direction I would head. Either that or the DASH plan.

I was out and about all day today and thinking about you. I'm not sure if you are thinking of bailing out on the plan you've purchased but if not, I would encourage you to consider adding some whole grain and veggie servings to what you are currently eating from them. I also was curious if the food you were getting was prepared or if you were cooking them?

Peg

aphimira
07-26-2009, 11:09 PM
One idea to spice up those things that are healthy that have saved me: Splenda & Mrs. Dash!

Just don't go overboard with the splenda as at 8tsp it starts to add calories!

It really helps "plain" bland food get spiced up!

Good food definitely doesn't have to be bad. You just have to work a little harder to make it tasty!!

SoulSurvivor
07-27-2009, 05:49 AM
I would say the best thing you could do is get past the two hotdogs, it wasn't the best meal option but at least you didn't eat 2 hot dogs, cookies and a box of krispy kremes... and even if you had, all I would say is that you need to move from the 'guilt' on and make your plan more flexible.
=) Good luck with it all!! You can make your goals once you have a plan you feel comfortable with.

beginme
07-27-2009, 12:46 PM
1. Nobody should be eating less than 1,000 calories a day.
2. I'm one of those who can't totally deny myself the foods I love. There's 0 chance I could stick to a meal plan long term if it didn't include those foods. So, I joined WW. You can eat ANYTHING on that program. It's a common sense, reasonable approach. You can't have everything you want all the time, but you can have what you want in moderation.

ajowens
07-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Thank you so much! Even with the total breakdown the other night I still lost 3 lbs this week. Does that tell you what kind of junk I use to be eating... much more than two hotdogs =)

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/tulip-bar/cartoondino01/lb/174/135/166/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

rockinrobin
07-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Even with the total breakdown the other night I still lost 3 lbs this week.]
:yay::yay::yay::yay:
Oh my gosh. I'm so happy for you!!!

Keep plugging away. Keep at it. Keep on working that program, tweaking it as need be. You're going to get stronger and stronger as you go on and WANT to stick with it more and more.

And you will be rewarded BIG TIME. :smug:

EveLHaelf
07-27-2009, 10:06 PM
3 pounds! Way to go! :carrot:

2fat4u
07-27-2009, 10:42 PM
I really appreciate your struggle. I am currently trying to modify my plan in similar ways. I am not a pro by any means... not even an beginner but I am happy to share the things I find successful and would love if you would do the same!!

Now i know how u feel, even though i was still loosing weight, today i felt miserable because of something that happened yesterday night, so today i ate a hotdog :[ i was very disapointed in myself and to top it off i had 20 saltine crackers... even though the calories where still in my budget i feel bad about eating those things that i did eat. I'm not going to let this bring me down though, im going to pick up where i left off tomorrow and try my best not to stir off the road. I hope you can also do the same :]

SoulSurvivor
07-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Ah I'm so happy that you've lost those pounds!!! =) that's definitely good news
x

Onederchic
07-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Thank you so much! Even with the total breakdown the other night I still lost 3 lbs this week. Does that tell you what kind of junk I use to be eating... much more than two hotdogs =)

Yay!! Congrats :cheer2: :hug:

ajowens
07-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Thank you! I am back on track and I have visited the gym the last few days. Feels good again. <3

proudmommy09
07-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Hi Im doing the exact same plan but I live in TX. I know exactly how you feel...... Im very happy that you are pushing thru this and you give me motivation to do it the right way. For the past week ive been off of it and try everyday to get back on plan and then bamm I mess up again. Keep up the good work.. I hope to have the same results as you. Its a hard plan to follow but it works if we work it. Im starting tomorrow for sure. I'll keep you updated and hope you do the same. Pm if you want or have any questions. Also are you taking their herbal pills and quickboost?

kiki100
07-28-2009, 10:20 PM
So glad it's working for you! Setbacks happen, throwing in the towel and eating kamakazi because of it is the worst...you forgave yourself, moved past it and kept on trying. You deserve alot of credit...THAT'S the hard part!!

If you're still looking for food ideas...I made a pad thai tonight that was YUMMY!! Lots of bean sprouts, cilantro, onions, some chicken, shrimp, rice noodles and to make my sauce, juice of fresh limes, chicken broth, soy sauce, fish sauce and a spicy garlic sauce...low cal...VERY tasty and fresh!! (I little high on the sodium count with the soy and fish sauce...but worth it!! I just wouldn't eat it right before my weigh in day as I'm sure to retain a little water now! LOL)

Know there are plenty of women (and men I'm sure) that are giving you proper accolades for your efforts!! Keep up the good work!!

Arctic Mama
07-29-2009, 02:03 AM
Congratulations on your loss this week! It's not about perfect eating, we're all
*human* and very few of us can cut stuff out completely without a binge; changing your habits for life is about your good choices outweighing your bad, and about getting back on track when you fall off. If you start up right again after a slip, time after time, you WILL get to where you're going.

Tweak your plan as needed to find something both healthy and sustainable for your life, then continue with your iron clad commitment to your health and let the rest take care of itself.

We occasionally eat junk, life gets hairy, motivation wavers... But as long as you keep your eyes on the prize and focus on being healthy and truly, deeply happy your weight should take care of itself :). Any plan that creates a calorie deficit will work to make you lose weight, in the absense of underlying health problems. The rub is finding what plan suits you best, and not
giving up as you struggle to find it!

taniquelasse
07-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents...

I didn't catch whether or not you cook, but this is definitely the time to learn. So many of your favorite restaurant/fast food/frozen recipes can be made at home with less sodium, fat, etc. - it makes them so much healthier. And chinese food, especially, can fit that when you load it chock full of yummy veggies, brown rice, and lean meats.

With just a little bit of work you can also learn to make healthy substitutions/eliminations when you're cooking. Several people have mentioned healthier ways to cook using chicken broth. Other things you can do include cutting any amounts of cheese in half, drastically reducing the amounts of oil/butter used (usually you can use 1 teaspoon for every tablespoon the recipe calls for), grilling meats instead of breading/frying them, and using brown rice and whole wheat pastas (I LOVE the Healthy Harvest brand). OH, and don't forget the reduced-sodium soy sauce!

A lot of recipe websites offer a breakdown of the nutritional information for each recipe, so you can check calories, fat, sodium, etc. And because the recipes are from "normal" people, the majority of them are easy to make. My favorite it RecipeZaar - check it out and see what you can find.

You can do this! Look for ways to make it work for you - just don't give up!

ajowens
07-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi Im doing the exact same plan but I live in TX. I know exactly how you feel...... Im very happy that you are pushing thru this and you give me motivation to do it the right way. For the past week ive been off of it and try everyday to get back on plan and then bamm I mess up again. Keep up the good work.. I hope to have the same results as you. Its a hard plan to follow but it works if we work it. Im starting tomorrow for sure. I'll keep you updated and hope you do the same. Pm if you want or have any questions. Also are you taking their herbal pills and quickboost?

I am taking some of them but I am taking my own daily liquid vitamins as well as my own OMEGA 3's. I should also tell you that they sold me a box of 5protien shakes for 25 bucks and I went to max muscle and he said it has way too much sodium as well as sugars in it and I got 70 servings for $50 and its not a meal replacement... its a extra protien for your body. I just warn you because I think a lot of their stuff is good but you can match it easily! Good luck. Its hard but so worth it.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/tulip-bar/cartoondino01/lb/174/135/166/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

ajowens
07-31-2009, 04:54 PM
If you're still looking for food ideas...I made a pad thai tonight that was YUMMY!! Lots of bean sprouts, cilantro, onions, some chicken, shrimp, rice noodles and to make my sauce, juice of fresh limes, chicken broth, soy sauce, fish sauce and a spicy garlic sauce...low cal...VERY tasty and fresh!! (I little high on the sodium count with the soy and fish sauce...but worth it!! I just wouldn't eat it right before my weigh in day as I'm sure to retain a little water now! LOL)

Thank you! and that recipe sounds absolutely amazing. I love Thai food. What a great idea.

:smug:

Eumie
07-31-2009, 05:12 PM
If you're still looking for food ideas...I made a pad thai tonight that was YUMMY!!

If you want to go even lower cal than a typical pad thai recipe, look on the Hungry Girl website. She has a shrimp pad thai recipe that initially looks disturbing, but upon trying it is pretty durn yummy! It uses tofu noodles and other substitution ingredients. When I do make it again, though, I AM adding in the bean sprouts for some crunch.

ajowens
07-31-2009, 07:06 PM
It uses tofu noodles and other substitution ingredients.

Can you tell its tofu?? I don't like plain tofu but I saw the picture and they look like real noodles. If your not a tofu person do you think someone would still like them?

Eumie
07-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Can you tell its tofu?? I don't like plain tofu but I saw the picture and they look like real noodles. If your not a tofu person do you think someone would still like them?

If it's a flavor thing, then you'll have no problem with the noodles. They have no taste of their own, really. They just take on the flavor of the pad thai sauce. If it's a texture thing, then you may or may not like them. They do not have the texture of tofu, but it is a different texture than real pasta. The key to it is making sure you get them as dry as possible. It's time consuming, but worth it.

ETA--haver you had tofu in a restaurant? I never liked it when I cooked it myself. Then I had it in a restaurant (PF Changs), loved it, and then learned how to cook it right!

ajowens
07-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Nope... I had it in stir fry once and it just tasted like egg to me. I will try it though.

giselley
07-31-2009, 10:28 PM
the food pyramid allows something like 6-11 servings of bread, and quite a lot of other stuff-- I won't get into it at this point. Servings are quite a lot smaller than some people think. 2 servings of an apple are 2 halfs.

Yes. You are going to be really hungry for a while. Your stomach will calm down and shrink within maybe a week. 6 servings of bread are 3 sandwiches with bread of the wonderbread size. A serving of vegetables is about 1/2 cup of cooked. A serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards. Any thing else?

proudmommy09
07-31-2009, 11:07 PM
This paticular diet is only two slices of bread though its not quite like the food pyramid. Its really restrictive.

ajowens
08-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Well its much more balanced than my old diet and its only more restrictive during weight loss phase but yes, its harder!

caliyah
08-01-2009, 12:47 AM
this is how i feel like today = ( i keep fluctuating 3-4 pounds down and up over and over again for the past 2 weeks. so today i overate..well binged i guess = (. i'm trying to stay patient and motivated - weight loss doesn't happen overnight but staying on plan has been a struggle. everytime i look in the mirror i really see no change..i've lost over 20 pounds but for some reason it doesn't register when i look in the mirror? i just feel like i'm getting nowhere.
i'm trying to stay off the scale for a week and just focusing on staying on plan.

caliyah
08-01-2009, 12:49 AM
i'm actually trying the gabriel method now of non-dieting but eating healthier vital foods..i messed up on my first day! there is always 2morow. i'm not quitting this time!