General chatter - Stickk.com ?

View Full Version : Stickk.com ?

UrthWurm
07-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Does anyone else use it? I've tried it a few times & am having another go at it. I find it helps keep me on track when I have to check in, & it's extremely beneficial to me that it sends reminders. There is an option to bet money on your commitments, but I always do the bet free version. Has anyone tried betting money on yourself? Do you think it provides any more motivation having money staked on your commitment? I would like to hear your opinions and experiences with this service. Please & thanks. :D

BerkshireGrl
08-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi there!

I've read on an article about the site that adding actual money into the bets definitely increases winning outcomes, especially if you choose to donate it to an "anti-charity", an organization whose views you strongly disagree with.

With the anti-charity, the average compliance is 80%!

For myself, I would want to put my money against myself in the "worst" way possible ;) and I would choose an anti-charity from their lists.

And I would make it a BIG potential loss. Since they have my credit card number -- and I would use a debit card to make it even more threatening -- there would be no weaseling out.

I think I would set it up so that every week (or every month), I'd have to lose X pounds. Maybe 1.5 pounds/week, or maybe 2 pounds/week. And then, if I missed a week or a month, I'd have to pay in $50/week, or $200/month. Then I'd have a final contract too, that if I didn't lose all the weight by X date, I'd fork over, hmm, $2,000? To me, that's a really large sum, and one I would definitely not want handed over to my anti-charity.

In fact, right now, I am waiting on a replacement debit card in the mail, after having my original one used for fraud (grrr!) early this week. But my bank has been great at replacing the money... once I have my new card, I'm planning on joining Stickk.com. I should have it by September 4th.

I am an expert weasel-outer :lol: and I find it all too easy to justify slip-ups and continue saying "I'll start over tomorrow." This way, I'll have a real financial and moral incentive to stay the course.

I think it's a great idea.

Onederchic
08-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I have never heard of it until I read this post :o

crowbar
09-28-2009, 01:05 AM
Well i'm on Stickk and it's worked well for me in the past, but I haven't had much accountability given i didnt have a referee or supporter.

My screen name is crowbar

add me as a friend and we can support each other!

DeeinVaBeach
09-28-2009, 09:12 AM
I've been trying it, but my scale died and now my weight has changed dramatically (for the worse) because of it. I think if I was actually betting money, it would work for me, but there's not much incentive to me for the free version. Seriously, if making commitments and betting that I would lose X amt of pounds by a certain date had ever worked for me, I wouldn't be where i am right now, lol.... but the money option is definitely intriguing, as I'm very tight with money, and can't imagine having to fork money over to a cause I hate because I ate too much or exercised too little... I might try it next payday.

Frigg
09-28-2009, 02:24 PM
I had never heard of it either, but I just signed up. (My name is Kyo_Odori. Add me!)

Luckily I don't have to risk much for it to scare me as I'm almost broke. I just put down $5 a week. I like the anti-charity idea.

... It just dawned on me that this might not work so well during TOM, when I normally don't even weigh myself because it's so bad. I might just have to lie. Maybe if I'm not caught up by the next week I'll fork over the $5.

BerkshireGrl
12-27-2009, 01:17 PM
I am bumping this because I (cough) got my butt on-board and joined today!

I am on Stickk.com as BerkshireGrl also, and anyone on there who wants to buddy up, feel free to add me as a friend!

I have pledged to lose at least 1 pound a week, or I will be forced to donate $100 to an anti-charity every time I fail to lose that pound. This is a legally-binding contract and once signed, is for real. Termination can only be made after a medical excuse form faxed by a doctor's office is verified.

I am praying for no long plateaus, heh! But in my past weight loss attempts, I have never hit one, so *fingers crossed* this will continue.

I will be Refereed by my sister, who will verify my weekly loss via digital photos of my scale readout as I stand on it :)

:drill: No wussing out this time!

ETA: Contract is for 99 weeks, at 1.18 pound a week mandatory loss. I am planning on getting it done sooner than 99 weeks though! But I thought I'd give myself a bit of coverage just in case I do hit a dreaded stall.

crowbar and Frigg, I have "friended" you on Stickk :)

EEEEEEEP! Hahaha! This is thrilling, yet kind of terrifying at the same time. But I want to be accountable. I have been trying to lose weight for a long time - heck, I joined here in 2003 - and I have so far failed to reach the finish line. This time, there is no retreat. Here goes!

SilverShine
12-27-2009, 01:29 PM
BerkshireGrl, that's a big commitment.

Needs guts to make that decision.

Good luck on your journey. :)

BerkshireGrl
12-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Thank you, Silver! :D

I have been lacking courage for a long time, but this time, I decided to make the leap. I've had it with the fatness ;)

kuhrisuh
12-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Okay - I just joined & added all of you! :)

I did the free version.. no money here to give if I didn't lose! :/ BUT hopefully we can all keep each other accountable!

my username on stickk is kuhrisuh

StarryEyes86
12-27-2009, 03:15 PM
I also joined and added you guys! Add me at StarryEyes86 :carrot:

I love the idea. And it has a weekly weight for me to aim for...that's cool.

I didn't bet any money, only because I'm so broke and don't even have disposable income at the moment.

BerkshireGrl
12-27-2009, 03:29 PM
StarryEyes, glad to see you too! :)

I'd be thrilled to see all of us lose all our weight! :goodscale:

Gayatri
12-27-2009, 04:39 PM
I just signed up, too. My user name is Gayatri, LOL. I have to lose only 1 lb per week and will donate $10 per week to my anti-charity if I fail to meet that goal.

I need referees / support. Please add me as a friend, too, so we can all support each other through this journey.

Thanks,

Gayatri

BerkshireGrl
12-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Gayatri,

Cool beans! :)

It looks like you are contracted for $101/week though - is that a goof?

I friended you back! :high:

StarryEyes86
12-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Berkshiregrl, I just noticed that you and I almost have identical starting points and goals =)

BerkshireGrl
12-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Starry,

Oh yeah! Indeed! I'm glad to have you along! :D This might take me a while and it's good to have company, heh!

StarryEyes86
01-03-2010, 01:20 PM
So ladies, I met my commitment this week =) How about you?

readytobeme2010
01-03-2010, 01:41 PM
OK Ladies I joined and will read up on it later on today when I have more time....add me as a friend my user name is womanangler

Altari
01-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I added everyone. :) My user name is Altari.

My first goal doesn't come up until 01/08. Stick to it, stick to it...lalalala.

BerkshireGrl
01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Readytobeme2010/womanangler, I friended you on Stickk.com :)

I guess the difference between Friends & Supporters on Stickk is that the Supporters get emails of your report statuses?

Anyone that wants to be a Supporter to me, feel free! I sure don't mind even more accountability, heh!

My first week I am down -2.6 pounds :) So 1 week down, 98 to go! :lol:

Haley8203
01-04-2010, 07:10 AM
i added everyone on here so far, my name on there is veganhaley

readytobeme2010
01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
I just added you guys too....now i'm working on my profile and my commitment thingy

kuhrisuh
01-04-2010, 10:40 PM
So ladies, I met my commitment this week =) How about you?

Oh my gosh :( I missed it by as far as I possible could!! I had a really, really bad weekend food-wise and got myself back up to 210. It's likely that some of it is water weight from so much salt... but I'm just SO READY to get moving in the right direction.

congrats to everyone who made their goal!! :carrot:

UrthWurm
01-12-2010, 04:18 AM
I just started a new commitment for the New Year. My sweetheart and I are actually doing commitments at the same time. My goal is to workout 3x a week, his is to workout 2x a week. If either of us fail we must pay the other person $5. That's a lot of money for two broke college students. :lol:

Everyone can add me if they want!!
UrthWerm is my username.

BerkshireGrl
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't use stick.com - They have terrible customer services

How so?

ETA: It appears that the user who posted this has been banned as of Jan. 14th, so I guess we won't have their explanation. I have heard no bad feedback about Stickk.com, and the only negative thing I could find was a blogger questioning the implications of their privacy policy, here (http://blogs.computerworld.com/stuckk_privacy). Stickk.com responded with a polite letter and amended their policy to be clearer as a result.

I'm not worried. If I encounter anything bad, I will certainly update. But I find their site very helpful and their FAQs very clear. I have not had to contact them for customer service yet, but if anyone does here, I'd be glad to hear about your experience :)

slowrunner
04-14-2011, 12:57 PM
I searched through old threads, but the most recent mention of Stickk was a year ago, so I thought I'd give it a shot and see if anyone is still using the site.

For those who haven't heard of it, Stickk lets you set goals on the site, then you have the option to set financial incentives to help you achieve those goals. The money you lose for not achieving your goal (based on a weekly check-in, and you can designate a referee to verify that you're being truthful about your progress) will get pooled each unsuccessful week until your goal period is up, and then gets disbursed to whichever person or charity you choose to send it to. I love the anti-charity idea (to have it automatically donate to a charity you hate!), but you can also have the money sent to a charity you support or to a friend (or enemy!) you really know.

I've set up a weight loss goal with no financial stake (to lose 45 pounds in 20 weeks), but am thinking about doing one with a financial stake for walk/jog mileage. I saw in the old threads that some people had set goals in the past - is there anyone working on a current goal? Want to be each other's supporters? If you would like to add me as a friend, my name there is also slowrunner. Happy goal-setting! (Woah, nearly posted with that saying "Happy goat-selling!" :dizzy: )

kaplods
04-14-2011, 01:26 PM
In college (about 25 years ago) we discussed and debated the ethics of the "anti-charity" method for behavior change (substance abuse, smoking cessation and weight loss). For many years, there have been organizations and therapists who supported anti-charity donations for behavior change "failure."

It sounds like a great idea in theory, but in practice it can really mess people up. If a person chooses an unrealistic goal and fails, or if they fail for any reason (even a "good" one); on top of the "guilt" the person may already be prone to piling on themselves (because that's how we tend to do these things), they now have the added guilt of supporting a charity they oppose.

I don't like the idea of punishing failure at weight loss, because in 40 years of dieting, punishment only diminished my chances of success. I also think turning undeserved guilt into deserved guilt is making one problem a bigger one.

It's like punishing less-than-perfect weight loss by firing squad.

I think if you pick a charity that you think does good work, but which annoys you for a petty reason, that could work, but I think you have to pick that anti-charity very carefully. If you can't reach your goal for some reason (in or out of your control) are you going to regret your choice for the rest of your life. And is knowing you contributed to a morally repugnant charity going to eat at you forever.

You also have to know your own state of mind and self-judgement. If you already feel like a miseable piece of human trash because of your weight, how will you feel for contributing to a cause you despise if you fall short. I can't see how it could make you feel better.

It also doesn't reward partial or even "almost there" success.

If your goal is 20 lbs, and you lose 19.9 - you've still "failed" and will still have to give to the charity (at least if you choose a referree. And if you choose an honor system and don't follow through, will you feel guilty about that too?)

I think it erases any feelings of success for partial success. And that's already a problem in weight loss. "Almost" doesn't count. It was my error in judgment most of my life. I always counted partial success as total failure. The one time I got close to my goal weight (within 5 lbs), my doctor lowered my goal by another 10 lbs. Those 15 lbs felt like a thousand. I could barely see myself getting to the original goal, and instead of thinking "even if I can't lose another pound, I can keep off the 70 lbs I've lost," I thought "Another 15 lbs? I can't lose another 15 lbs. I'll never lose that. I'll never be thin enough. What's the use of trying so hard, if I'm going to be fat no matter what I do?"

I just hate the idea of anything that perpetuates that cycle, and I think the anti-charity can do that, if you're not really in a super-adjusted headspace, or if you tend to make unrealistic goals, or tend to be really hard on yourself.

I'd definitely suggest choosing an anti-charity that annoys you, rather than one you find morally reprehensible. Of course some people will say "where's the incentive in that?" Personally I think positive incentives work a whole lot better (with fewer long-term negative consequences) than the fear of punishment for failure. Weight loss is tough enough without sacrificing your personal ethics and morality (or even risking it).

lostangel05
04-14-2011, 01:42 PM
I have never heard of this site, but thanks to your post, they have a new member! I sent you a friend request. My goal is to lose 57.4lbs in 37 weeks. I didn't set any stakes since I'm currently unemployed. Cool idea, thanks! :hug:

drinkypants
04-14-2011, 02:09 PM
I have used stickk for a couple of years off and on. I really like that it sends you an e-mail every week to check in with your weight (or other goal) ... so even if you have no stakes, it's a good way to help you remember to be accountable.

I did get frustrated with it in the past, because I would get too far behind on my goal.. there was no way of catching up.. so the following weeks it was "you failed, you failed, you failed" and you can't cancel or adjust your goal.. BUT I really like it this time, because I keep getting "you were successful" lol

slowrunner
04-14-2011, 02:42 PM
I'd thought about adding a disclaimer in my post that financial incentives (including donations to an anti-charity) are probably not for everyone, and now I guess I wish I'd taken the time to do so. I understand your concerns kaplods, though I don't share them on such a generalized basis.

Frankly, any unmet goal is demoralizing and disheartening, but we all have our own ways of setting these goals and sticking to them. For example, in my case, I hate failing in front of people I'm close to, which is why I haven't really discussed my weight loss plans with anyone around me. I've been successful so far, and don't plan to bring anyone else from my "real life" into my weight loss journey because I neither want the attention nor am I interested in advice from all the non-obese people around me. This is just my personality, and I enjoy the idea of chugging along and letting people realize for themselves that I'm losing weight. Simply put, I don't want to be patronized. Now, some people reading this may think "Wow, that's a terrible way to lose weight." Some of those same people would also probably freak out that I don't count calories, I don't believe in restrictive diets, and I've eaten at McDonald's this week. The thing is, it works for me. I exercise and take in as much fruit, whole grains, and water as possible. That's it. I've lost 9 pounds in the past month, I'm still losing, and I don't feel stressed about my "plan" at all. I feel far more stressed about the thought of having a butt this big for another year. My way may not be popular or hardcore enough for everyone, but it's my way.

My point is, we all have different ways of motivating ourselves - some of us need face-to-face support from family and friends, some of us prefer the semi-anonymous support of strangers with whom we have something in common (like here on 3FC), and some of us need a mix of both. Some of us need to count calories, while some of us see calorie-counting as numerical torture. Likewise, some people can do well with a financial stake that ends in donation to a charity (even an anti-charity), others might do well with a friendly wager with someone they know, and others only need a "contract" with no particular incentive to get them motivated. There's simply no blanket solution for everyone.

For those on Stickk who choose an anti-charity as their motivation (from among several other choices), one has to give them the benefit of the doubt that, as conscientious adults, they were responsible in both setting a realistic goal and not making the financial stakes so high that they will be crippled with shame for supporting that anti-charity. It's a serious personal commitment, and certainly should not be taken lightly. As such, if a person already feels like a "miserable piece of human trash" when (voluntarily) signing themselves up for such a goal, and would be so deeply affected by failure, I'd argue that the problem is with the person rather than the method. No one should sign themselves up for something like this if they can't accept (or afford) the possibility that they may fail. (Incidentally, the financial stakes on Stickk are not "all or nothing." You set a final goal, but your success is measured weekly and the financial stakes are charged only for the weeks you did not meet your goal.)

In any case, I was just putting this out there in case there is anyone on 3FC who uses the site and would like to support each other as we work on Stickk goals. We all learn over time what works best for us, and if you feel like setting goals this way is something that might work for you, please feel free to join me!

And, great, lostangel05! I've just added you. Good luck with your goal!

indiblue
04-14-2011, 11:38 PM
The discussion on punitive measures and motivation for unmet/met goals is interesting, but just to comment quickly on the economics of stickk, slowrunner have you read Nudge? Named as a book of the year by The Economist last year or the year before, it discusses the importance of economic incentives and choice architecture in public policy to help people make the decisions they want to make but have difficulty doing. They mention stickk.com a lot as a useful resource for people attempting to quit smoking, lose weight, etc. A great book, I highly recommend it whether or not economics is your forte :)

slowrunner
04-15-2011, 01:03 AM
CocoLoco, I was wondering that (about getting behind on the goal). That's why want to stick with a nonfinancial weight loss goal for now until I know how to "play the game," so to speak. I might still set a goal with financial stakes for mileage-per-week once I get the hang of it, though, since mileage is something I can control. But first I want to think more about which financial incentive I want to use.

indiblue, Thanks for the book recommendation! I've just ordered the Kindle version and will delve into it once I've gotten through "The 4-Hour Body". Reading through the Amazon synopsis, it sounds like a great book even beyond the financial incentive bit. The concept of choice architecture is quite fascinating (store already use it for evil, so why shouldn't we use it for good?), and I'm really interested in seeing how it's being implemented in the US with the calories on restaurant menus. I haven't been back to the US since the calorie requirement came into effect, but I followed the debate on it in the news, so I'm curious about how that extra bit of information in my face will affect my food choices when I visit. I remember some friends complaining about it when the law was first passed - "We all know a Big Mac is unhealthy - this is just more government babysitting!" - but I thought it was brilliant. What's the harm in having the calories there? You can still get whatever you want! The one time I'd been to a place that had the calories on the menu (before the law went into effect - this was in Berkeley, CA), it certainly did make me think twice about ordering that mocha drink. Anyway, thanks again - I can't wait to read it!

Tonyia
04-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Kind of sounds like what I did to quit smoking but there was a difference.

I wanted to rescue a boxer dog, my husband agreed that we should rescue him. So we did, my husband tells me that in order to afford the extra expenses of owning a 4th dog that we'd both have to quit smoking. I agreed that I would quit because I desperately wanted to help this dog.

So we rescued the dog and I started to quit smoking, after 18+yrs of smoking I traded it in for dog food basically LOL

drinkypants
04-18-2011, 04:16 AM
I just wanted to mention that I believe they updated how the site works in regards to weight loss since I last "fail fail failed" ... because this week I was not successful, BUT it gave me a reasonable goal for next week.. not a you need to catch up, or you fail again type of goal. My end goal is still the same, but my weekly goal is achievable.

Serbrider
04-19-2011, 08:40 AM
I joined up. :) my start date is Friday though. My goals are: take 15k steps a day or 100k a week. And to lose 50 lbs in 37 weeks... By my 19th birthday. :)

slowrunner
05-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Good luck, Serbrider! I know your post was a good while ago, but it looks from your signature that things are going well!

heliotrope55
10-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new here although I've been reading here for a while.

I was searching for stickk.com posts, but they all seem pretty old. I've used it before and it was amazing motivation for me to keep up a regular exercise routine.

Would anyone be interested in using stickk.com for any of their goals and being each others referees? I know it isn't for everyone, but in my experience it has been a great help, so let me know if you'd like to give it a try! :)

Ell x

2Dy2MrwAlwys
10-18-2012, 02:01 AM
I was wondering if anyone else on here uses the website Stickk to make weight-loss or fitness commitments? I just started an account on there and I was hoping to find some friends for supporters. I have two commitments right now: goal weight, and regular exercise. The commitment for regular exercise I've put a stake on, meaning if I don't workout at least 3x in a given week I'll be paying $5 that week to my anti-charity (a cause I'm against). I'd love to find some buddies who do use the site or are interested in using it so that we can help each other "Stickk" to our goals! It seems like a great motivational tool. :halffull:

Candeka
10-18-2012, 02:39 AM
I've never heard of this. I will have to look into it!

PageLynn
10-18-2012, 08:56 AM
I just joined! Wanna add me? PageLynn

2Dy2MrwAlwys
10-18-2012, 07:03 PM
@Candeka: Let me know if you join!

@PageLynn: For sure! Friend request sent. :)

Em Coconut
10-18-2012, 08:01 PM
I had to check that out, so I joined...you can add me too:D CocoEm is my screen name

2Dy2MrwAlwys
10-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Friend request sent! Thanks for joining me. :)

mom23kids1
10-19-2012, 08:56 PM
I just signed up-what an interesting concept! I opted to not use money since I don't have ccs or a debit card. But, it will be fun to track my progress :)

2Dy2MrwAlwys
11-05-2012, 07:19 AM
I just signed up-what an interesting concept! I opted to not use money since I don't have ccs or a debit card. But, it will be fun to track my progress :)

Awesome, I hope you enjoy the site. :) You don't have to put money on the line for it to be effective either. Sometimes just knowing that you made a commitment and someone else is going to see it helps. If you want a friend, you can find me on there. My username is 2Dy2MrwAlwys !

m4mitchell
12-08-2012, 09:40 PM
I sent you a message, Helioptrope, but in case you're no longer on the boards - does anyone else here use Stickk.com?

I'm also looking for a referee! My username is m4mitchell there too. I think having a referee would add extra accountability.

Anyone interested?

ETA: In case you're not familiar with the site, Stick.com is a site where you commit to something, whether it be quitting smoking, losing weight, exercising 3x a week, or whatever you want. You log on each week and report your weight (or whether or not you had a cigarette, or went to the gym, or whatever).

You have the option to link your credit card with the site and place money on the outcome - so if you aren't successful, Stickk.com will charge your credit card by however much you agreed. You can choose to give the money to a friend, an enemy, a charity, or an anti-charity, which is charity to which you are morally opposed. Stickk.com claims that people who link their credit cards to anti-charities are the most successful.

If you have a referee, they can ask you for proof (in this case, probably a picture of your scale) to confirm that you did, in fact, lose weight or go to the gym or whatever.

I think it's a great idea, personally! I've linked my weight-loss goal commitment with an anti-charity (I chose a pro-life group), and I'm very very determined not to give them my money. :D You can also set your anti-charity as a pro-choice group, if those are your beliefs.

So.....is anyone else interested in using it and being each others referees? :D

m4mitchell
12-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Does anyone else here use Stickk.com? I'm looking for a referee, and would like to team up with someone and be their referee too!

In case you're not familiar with the site, Stick.com is a site where you commit to something, whether it be quitting smoking, losing weight, exercising 3x a week, or whatever you want. You log on each week and report your weight (or whether or not you had a cigarette, or went to the gym, or whatever).

You have the option to link your credit card with the site and place money on the outcome - so if you aren't successful, Stickk.com will charge your credit card by however much you agreed. You can choose to give the money to a friend, an enemy, a charity, or an anti-charity, which is charity to which you are morally opposed. Stickk.com claims that people who link their credit cards to anti-charities are the most successful.

If you have a referee, they can ask you for proof (in this case, probably a picture of your scale) to confirm that you did, in fact, lose weight or go to the gym or whatever.

I think it's a great idea, personally! I've linked my weight-loss goal commitment with an anti-charity (I chose a pro-life group), and I'm very very determined not to give them my money. :D You can also set your anti-charity as a pro-choice group, if those are your beliefs.

So.....is anyone else interested in using it and being each others referees? :D My username is m4mitchell there too.

(I just posted about this in an existing thread in the the Exercise forum, but I thought I'd also post something here, as this is much more about weight loss than exercise.)

katrinakit
12-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Wow! what an interesting concept! I wonder what my anti-charity would be...

heliotrope55
01-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Hi Mairi,

I'm sorry, I only just got your message because it went in junk email! I am definitely still interested in finding a stickk referee, are you?

I was thinking of a few ways to prove that I'd been exercising, like using runkeeper where you can see the map, or taking a screenshot of my Nike training club app when I'd completed one of the workouts. Taking a pic of the scales is a great idea!

Do let me know if you're still interested, apologies for the delayed reply :)

Heliotrope

Kilketay
12-30-2013, 03:37 PM
I wanted to bump this back to the top because I just signed up to start using stickK in January. Is anyone else here using it now? I could use supporters on the site!