General chatter - Ghosts

View Full Version : Ghosts

HotWings
07-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Do you believe in them?

I have been watching a show for the past few months on the Travel channel. It's called "Ghost Adventurers". Three men go and investigate various places that are said to have hauntings & paranormal activity. They obtain background usually from the owner of the property on what types of things are going on. Then, they lock themselves in the place for an entire night in the dark.. using only night vision cameras & their other EVP, etc. equipment. Sometimes they find a lot going on, sometimes just a little.

Last night they locked themselves in the Ram Inn in Great Britian. It is said to be possibly the most haunted place in GB. Lots of wierd things going on !! It was fascinating. Now, I am one of the first to absolutely try to debunk anything that is creepy that happens. But, a number of times with this show I have found myself not being able to explain it. So, unless they are completely staging everything that goes on, I am tending to believe there are spirits out there.

So, I am curious. Do you believe in ghosts/spirits? Any "ghost" encounters you would be willing to share? I just find it so very interesting right now. :yes:

mrsaugie
07-25-2009, 12:22 PM
well i for one do think they are there. i have had too many unexplained things happen to me and with in my family. the most recent happened to my mom just before x-mas looking for specific ornaments and once she found what she was looking for she put them on the side and never took any thing up stairs. when she went up stairs to here room she found one of her glass candy canes sitting on the foot of her bed and she knows she did not go upstairs until she was done looking for the ones she wanted.

but if you like debunking try Ghost Hunters on the Sci Fi channel. they do a lot of debunking. they actually go into a place to try to disprove the haunting it is pretty good.

painted lady
07-25-2009, 12:27 PM
i think i believe in residual energy... but not necessarily manifested ghosts.

HotWings
07-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Interesting, mrsaugie! I have only one "encounter" that I might consider being something paranormal. It happened when I was a teenager. I was in bed getting ready to go to sleep and was falling asleep. All of a sudden I thought someone sat on my bed beside me. It was unmistakable, which is why that memory is stuck in my head. Someone definitely sat on my bed. I could feel the bed go down there, etc. It was not a family member, everyone was in bed asleep... and the hair on my arms was standing on end. I refused to open my eyes, because I was scared!!! When I finally did after maybe half a minute, which seemed like an eternity.. there was a little flat place in the covers as if someone had sat down.. but of course that could have been there before without anyone sitting there. So, to this day, I cannot explain that. It was eerie.

painted lady - do you mean residual energy as in you just can't see 'em? Like things moving about when no one moved them.. or like "mists" and "orbs" that have been caught on camera with no real form? I consider mist and orbs to possibly be manifested since they are visible.. but I don't know if anyone else does. Or maybe residual energy as in you can feel a "presence"?

painted lady
07-25-2009, 01:04 PM
i think like feeling a presence... but also weird shapes and stuff. by "manifested," i meant that i don't think that ghosts are fully formed, human-shaped things. it'd be neat if they were!

vixxi
07-25-2009, 01:15 PM
BingoWings, i had the same expirience when I was in highschool. I too was going to bed but I was crying. Someone sat on my bed. No lie, something sat down next to me. I stopped crying immediately. I was probably 16, im 22 now. I thought it was my father (he died when i was 5) trying to comfort me. I believe there is "something" we cannot explain. I've had other feelings and heard many weird things in other homes and places. But who can explain?

Lissus
07-25-2009, 02:24 PM
I most certainly do believe in ghosts, and in fact had the experience of living in an apartment that was "haunted" for about a year.

Playful ghost, used to tease us with harmless pranks such as moving things we had JUST put down, turning off lights we'd just turned on, and the funniest instance was on day I was home alone and turned off the tv in the living room, put down the remote and walked into my bedroom. Then the TV popped back on. I went out, shut it off again, and started to go back to the bedroom. On goes the tv again. This happened for 5-6 times, each time I'd put the remote down and start to walk back I wouldn't get quite as far. Finally I got the hint, laughed and said "Ok, that was funny. good job" and just "felt" like someone was smiling, then it stopped.

Many such instances happened in that place, and about 6-7 different friends/family experienced these "occurances". Also we had many pets in that apartment, and there were times when you just knew he was around, because all the pets would just stop and start staring at the same place and follow the same motion. (funny to see 4 cats and 2 dogs just freeze what they were doing to look at "something")

One night the front door just opened on it's own, and then shut. My roommate and I just stared at each other and said "he left", and nothing further happened after that, and the place just had a different "feel" to it after that. I spent a lot of time alone in that place, and only after that night did I ever really feel.. alone. I guess we bored him after a while and he moved onto a different apartment? (and I did always say my roomies voice was shrill enough to drive out the dead.. perhaps that wasn't an understatement :devil:)

A friend of mine also had an experience with a less than playful visitor when he happened across an OLD wooden Ouija board (not the cheap Parker Bros. thing, an actual wooden hand carved one) and thought it would be cool to bring it home. For the week or so that board was in the house, objects would start appearing in strange places. (the ashtray would be on the coffee table when you'd leave the room, and come back to find it up on a high shelf, or teetering on the top of the television etc, my friend and her boyfriend started being plagued with nightmares, and a less than pleasant feeling began to encompass the house... we ended up destroying the board, and all went back to normal)

I've had too many of such encounters to not believe they're here with us. And I know some people might think I"m crazy... but the friends and family that shared these experiences with me, know that I'm not.

It's kind of funny that this thread popped up now. Just last week my cat (who I've had since that old apartment) just stopped in his tracks and started mewing at the bathroom, eyes bugged out of his head, the same as he used to act when that ghost was around, and the hairs stood up on my neck. My new roomies thought I was crazy.. but Midge and I know that a ghost just passed through.

SunshineCA
07-25-2009, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't say I "believe in" anything but I know paranormal phenomena takes place. ;)

Onederchic
07-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Since my husband and parents have both passed, I have wished many times for a "visit" from them but nada :(

Lissus
07-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Since my husband and parents have both passed, I have wished many times for a "visit" from them but nada :(

:hug:

Onederchic
07-25-2009, 04:17 PM
:hug:

Hugs for me! Thank you so much :hug::hug:

EZMONEY
07-25-2009, 05:09 PM

Check again dear....maybe they visited you in your memeory of a time together...a "smell" that reminded you of one....a favorite dish they made...a song...a TV show...a feeling in your :val1:

Check again...I'll get back to ya ;)

EZMONEY
07-25-2009, 05:10 PM
:ghost: BOO! :ghost:

Onederchic
07-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Check again dear....maybe they visited you in your memeory of a time together...a "smell" that reminded you of one....a favorite dish they made...a song...a TV show...a feeling in your :val1:

Check again...I'll get back to ya ;)

Well, you are right on that. I reckon I was thinking more along the lines of "seeing" them but thank you so much. I feel better now :hug:

Onederchic
07-25-2009, 06:24 PM

Okay, I felt better until you scared the crap out of me :o :p

HotWings
07-25-2009, 08:24 PM
vixxi: I agree.. who can explain? People can theorize.. but it would be very cool to know for sure why all those things happen.

Lissus: How cool! I don't know if I could have stayed in that apartment. lol But, people who have had experiences like that say they can tell if it is a good spirit or a harmful one. FrEaKy :yes:

chunkychic: I think EZ is right on the MONEY there. The little reminders likely mean they are closer to you than you might think. :hug:

EZ: Shame on you - BOO to you, too! :sklol:

I bet there are more stories out there.. anyone else have something creepy to tell???

What do you all think of that John Edward guy who says he can contact and talk to people from the other side.. I saw a couple of his shows a year or two ago. That was a little freaky, too!

mrsaugie
07-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Interesting, mrsaugie! I have only one "encounter" that I might consider being something paranormal. It happened when I was a teenager. I was in bed getting ready to go to sleep and was falling asleep. All of a sudden I thought someone sat on my bed beside me. It was unmistakable, which is why that memory is stuck in my head. Someone definitely sat on my bed. I could feel the bed go down there, etc. It was not a family member, everyone was in bed asleep... and the hair on my arms was standing on end. I refused to open my eyes, because I was scared!!! When I finally did after maybe half a minute, which seemed like an eternity.. there was a little flat place in the covers as if someone had sat down.. but of course that could have been there before without anyone sitting there. So, to this day, I cannot explain that. It was eerie.

my grandma had a similar experience after my grandpa died she felt like someone was laying next to her or some times sitting on the edge of the bed when she was trying to sleep. finally she had enough of it and sat straight up in bed and said out loud "Albert i am fine go on" and it has not happened since.

I most certainly do believe in ghosts, and in fact had the experience of living in an apartment that was "haunted" for about a year.

Playful ghost, used to tease us with harmless pranks such as moving things we had JUST put down, turning off lights we'd just turned on, and the funniest instance was on day I was home alone and turned off the tv in the living room, put down the remote and walked into my bedroom. Then the TV popped back on. I went out, shut it off again, and started to go back to the bedroom. On goes the tv again. This happened for 5-6 times, each time I'd put the remote down and start to walk back I wouldn't get quite as far. Finally I got the hint, laughed and said "Ok, that was funny. good job" and just "felt" like someone was smiling, then it stopped.

i experienced something very similar when DH and i where dating and going to UWMC here in Wausau. he was a student worker and was working on some old computers that had a physical toggle switch to turn them on and off. he made sure that they where off when he left for the night and when he came in in the morning they where all on his boss asked him why he left them on and he said that he had turned them off. after Travis said that his boss said out loud "Annie did you do this?" and one by one they went off.--Annie is the ghost of a janitor at the school that haunts the halls there-- any way a few weeks later i was in his office with him waiting for him to finish up a few things before we left and these same computers where off and one by one they went on and when that happened Travis simple said "Annie i am not in the mood right now" and one by one they went off. and there re other Annie stories floating around the school too.

as far as feeling a preasance of something i really believe in it. where i work i have that feeling especially when i am having a bad day. DH and i both believe that it is haunted by the founder of the company. when Travis worked there and he was having a bad day and feel like he was being watched all he needed to say was " not now Herb" and it would go away and then come back a few hours later just to check up on things. it is a very odd yet unforgetable feeling to have.

EZMONEY
07-26-2009, 07:47 PM

I bet there are more stories out there.. anyone else have something creepy to tell???

I don't believe in ghosts but I swear Angie and I have a TV in our bedroom, now we usually don't watch it. Every now and then, always while we are asleep, it comes on. Now, it isn't because the sleep timer was set or the remote was accidentally bumped....the last time the TV came on in the middle of the night it hadn't been on for weeks....and the remote was on top of it...on the dresser...5 feet from our bed. Angie shut it off....came back on...I got up shut it off...came back on...I unplugged it...if it comes back on again...I'm runnin' scared!

Another GHOST story. I have lived in my house for almost 30 years. I bought it new and I worked on all of them in my tract. My neighbor across the street moved in his about 14 years ago. About 12 years ago he came over to me while I was working in the garage...."Gary, you worked on these houses when they were new right?"..."Yes, all of them....why"..."My wife and I want to know if anyone died while working on them...maybe a carpenter."..." "No, not that I am aware of...why"...."Oh, nothing".....several days alter same thing...only this time he tells me that they hear "hammering" in the attic space (we don't have attics here but we do have a crawl area for insulation, plumbing and wiring)....I ask if there if maybe the water heater door or the back door to the garage is blowing open and close when the wind blows...he says no he checked that. Sorry can't help you.

A few days later I am sitting in my recliner taking a nap when I hear the daily pic-pic on the roof of the big 'ol crows/black birds that walk and pick the stuff off the shingles....driving me crazy....when I realize that is the "hammering" my neighbor was hearing. I call him and tell him the next time he hears it go out and check to see if the big black birds are on the roof...he did...they were...ghost chased away :D Now that we have all had to get asphalt shingle roofs the birds don't walk and pic-pic like they used to..no more ghosts.

SunshineCA
07-26-2009, 11:02 PM
No more ghosts on the roof but definitely there's someone that likes to watch your TV. ;)

haysmommy
07-27-2009, 01:04 AM
As silly and odd as it sounds...I choose not to believe in them. If they did exist, that is just too much for me. Too freaky. My husband is big into the ghost experience. We moved into this house when our son was 3. He had never heard the word ghost before, never watched scary movies. But our first night in this house he informed us of a boy in his room. He still swears, 2 years later, that sometimes a boy walks through his window (he has two large connected windows from ceiling almost to the floor) and plays with his toys and stares at him while he's sleeping. We've asked him questions and he says that the boy can't talk. It just creeps me out. I try to stress that "ghosts and strange boys appearing through a window" do NOT exist.

There are a lot of things that have happened in the house but I chalk it up to coincidence and "house noises". The alternative is just too horror movie for me to live with.

luvja
07-27-2009, 01:26 AM
I believe in spirits, 100%. I'm a very spiritual person ;)

SunshineCA
07-27-2009, 04:03 AM
As silly and odd as it sounds...I choose not to believe in them. If they did exist, that is just too much for me. Too freaky. My husband is big into the ghost experience. We moved into this house when our son was 3. He had never heard the word ghost before, never watched scary movies. But our first night in this house he informed us of a boy in his room. He still swears, 2 years later, that sometimes a boy walks through his window (he has two large connected windows from ceiling almost to the floor) and plays with his toys and stares at him while he's sleeping. We've asked him questions and he says that the boy can't talk. It just creeps me out. I try to stress that "ghosts and strange boys appearing through a window" do NOT exist.

There are a lot of things that have happened in the house but I chalk it up to coincidence and "house noises". The alternative is just too horror movie for me to live with.

Is your son afraid?

JustSharing83
07-27-2009, 05:06 AM
I keep an open mind that anything is possible, but considering I have never experienced anything to suggest their existence, I do not believe in ghosts or anything else paranormal.

I love ghost stories, horror movies depicting spirits, Halloween and anything else that might involve ghosts, but it's just for entertainment. :)

haysmommy
07-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Is your son afraid?

Very much frightened. His feelings and this "mysterious silent boy" has stayed pretty consistent throughout living here. He says he just really doesn't like it when he tries to sleep and the little boy stands across the room and stares at him. Just downright creepy. My hubby has gone to the point of putting my camera on a timer in the room in the area of where our son says the boy is. There is almost always an orb of some type near the window but again, I think coincidence - dust.

HotWings
07-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Very much frightened. His feelings and this "mysterious silent boy" has stayed pretty consistent throughout living here. He says he just really doesn't like it when he tries to sleep and the little boy stands across the room and stares at him. Just downright creepy. My hubby has gone to the point of putting my camera on a timer in the room in the area of where our son says the boy is. There is almost always an orb of some type near the window but again, I think coincidence - dust.

That's definitely a little freaky!! I think I would try getting to the bottom of it, though, since your boy seems frightened/annoyed. Your hubby set up a camera, but also your son said the boy plays with his toys. What about placing all the toys is certain spots in the room.. then having your son sleep with you a couple nights? Check in the morning to see if everything is where you left it. If it *is* some kind of spirit, at least it doesn't seem harmful... just unnerving.

Onederchic
07-27-2009, 12:03 PM
vixxi: I agree.. who can explain? People can theorize.. but it would be very cool to know for sure why all those things happen.

Lissus: How cool! I don't know if I could have stayed in that apartment. lol But, people who have had experiences like that say they can tell if it is a good spirit or a harmful one. FrEaKy :yes:

chunkychic: I think EZ is right on the MONEY there. The little reminders likely mean they are closer to you than you might think. :hug:

What do you all think of that John Edward guy who says he can contact and talk to people from the other side.. I saw a couple of his shows a year or two ago. That was a little freaky, too!

That means a lot to me, thank you very much :hug:

SunshineCA
07-27-2009, 05:07 PM

You need to get someone out there to be rid of that spirit. Whether it's through your church or a specialist, something needs to be done. You can also contact some of the TV shows that deal with this type of thing. The "child" needs to cross over and move on. This can traumatize your son forever if it's not handled soon

Good luck! :).

JasonsLea
07-28-2009, 06:46 AM
I believe in ghosts, spirits, etc. Too many things have happened for me not to believe! I hate Ghost Adventures though! All they do is lock themselves in places and spend the whole night scaring the crap out of each other. You should watch Ghost Hunters!

mrsaugie
07-28-2009, 07:09 PM
shari-- i agree on both accounts. give me Ghost Hunters any day. the other show is good espesially if the ghost hunters have been there first. just to compare results.

Buttercup
07-28-2009, 11:40 PM
I have also had the experience many times of something sitting next to me on my bed. Though I am never afraid. Some places give me the creeps and I move on out of there pretty quickly. I do believe that my Mother visits me in special ways. Like I can be thinking of her and a pretty bird will appear out of nowhere and just sit there for a moment or I will see a butterfly. I like to think it's her. It comforts me.

Lissus
08-09-2009, 02:41 AM
vixxi:

It never felt malicious, always a friendly feeling. And for the rent we were paying for that place I definitely did NOT want to move. LOL.

The only time anyone ever said it felt "creepy" was twice my brothers (who had a key) and a couple friends got there before the roomie and I got home, and those two times they heard voices coming from the stereo in my room even though it wasn't turned on at the time. Freaked one of my brother's friends out so much that they went out and waited in the car until we got home.

I suppose it was just him trying to figure out why they were there and we weren't.

I did "almost" see him once. I had a feeling he was around, and the animals all started staring into the kitchen eyes wide. I glanced out of the corner of my eye and saw sort of a shadow shape in the middle of the room. I have to say that I chickened out and couldn't turn completely around. Though I did talk to him (as I often did) and explained that seeing him directly might be something I wasn't ready for. Shortly after that the animals went back to normal and I glanced again, but the shadow was gone.

Now the basement was a completely different story. We would occasionally have to go down there to flip the circuit breaker back on, and that place was something straight out of a horror flick, dirt floors, a bunch of different "rooms" partitioned off, even a dangling single lightbulb... just CREEPY!! We'd run through there and flip the switch as fast as possible. It just wasn't a comfortable place to be, but as far as our spirit roomate... I really did miss him after he left :(

babybluess
08-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I had the opportunity to actually SEE with my own eyes what I guess is best described as a ghost. I was asleep in bed with my dog. We both woke up to a noise that I thought was my husband getting home from work. From the bedroom you could look down the hallway and see the living room in the reflection of a painting if you were at the edge of the bed. I saw the back of what I thought was his head in this large puffy jacket. I called to him....nothing. I called and called thinking it was really strange that he was just standing there doing nothing. With me calling he slowly turned and faced me in the reflection of the picture. He just looked blankly at me. I knew it wasn't my husband at that point because it was more of a parka coat and he was wearing glasses. I said "oh..your not him" and slowly moved back to the middle of the bed so I couldn't see the person looking at me anymore. I grabbed my dog and we laid back down. Once we laid back down my dog (pitbull) relaxed again and so did I and we went back to sleep after a while until my husband really did come home.

Those that I have told ask me how I was able to go back to sleep after this and I have to say that it was really scary....but the guy was looking off into space most of the time. He didn't even notice me there until I called so much. Even after he saw me.....he was still seemed to be far off and just thinking deeply.

...also this apartment had a lot of activity. The clocks would change time (ones on batteries or plug), VCR would go on/off, lights on/off or wouldn't work when we tried them, and worst the smoke detector went off 3 times for no reason.

There was a lot of activity in that place. When we moved to out next place it was so nice to have it empty. ...amazing how peaceful it was to be really alone.

dragonwoman64
08-09-2009, 06:50 PM
great stories.

I definitely believe in ghosts.

1) My aunt has seen them (no, she's not kooky, believe me; she holds a responsible job, ha!), one was a woman who had on an outfit from the 1700s). If you met her and heard her other stories, I bet she might change your mind if you didn't believe.

2) my bf, when he was young, was out in the country with several of his friends, and all of them saw a couple in an old fashioned horse and buggy approaching down the dirt rode. they all moved quickly to the side, to get out of the way, and after it went past them...it just disappeared.

3) here in this apartment we've had weird things happen too. we had a boom box sitting in the bedroom, and in the middle of the night it suddenly went on and starting making the weirdest noise I've ever heard, sort of a reverberation, scared the crap out of us. It never did anything like that before or since. Then we have pantry shelves, and one night several pots went flying several feet across the room, not just down on the floor if they'd been stacked wrong and fallen. That happened about a day or two before we had something very traumatic happened with a family member.
bf has experienced other things, like feeling a presence, etc., that I haven't.

4) we have a famous cemetery not to far away, Greenwood. It has lots of great statues and scenery there, lots of history (Tiffany from Tiffany glass is buried there, and many other famous people). One day we went with our cameras -- and one shot had the strangest lights in them, with gravestones in the background. I've heard that reflections of light on the lenses can cause that kind of phenomenon, but I will say I've taken a million and one pics in all kinds of light with that camera and never had that kind of effect before.

I don't think that type of energy or whatever it is has to be malevolent. It's scary in that we don' tknow what it is, or understand it.

willa
08-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Ok I shouldnt have read this thread o_0

I'm scared now!

kiramira
08-10-2009, 02:00 PM
OK, long creepy ghost story, if you dare...

My birthday is Halloween. When I was a kid, it was the height of coolness to get a Ouija board. So I did, for my 12th birthday. My friend came over for a sleepover. My parents put us in the camper trailer that was in the back yard. The trailer was on a large gravel pad. The back yard has a complete privacy fence that is 7 ft high all the way around with a padlocked full gate at the back. It is a usual city lot, and the back yard is around 50 ft deep and 60 ft wide. There is no way into the back because the front gate is also padlocked. You have to walk on the gravel pad which is around 6 feet wide all the way around the trailer in order to get to any part of the trailer. As we have back alleys, the trailer is on the pad and is parallel to the back alley, and the fence is between the trailer, then 6 ft of gravel, then the trailer itself, then 6 ft of gravel, then 30 ft or so to the back door, which was locked.

The trailer had a double bed sleeping platform at one end and a bathroom with a frosted window at the other. The window is about 15 ft from the shed in the back yard.

OK, so at MIDNIGHT my friend and I decide this would be the OPPORTUNE time to play with the Ouija board. We took it out, and goofed around for about 5 minutes, but then I got totally creeped out and we put it away. We decided to go to sleep. So, my friend tucks in. But I'm completely creeped out, so I can't sleep. I'm in my sleeping bag facing the wall, and I turn over so that I'm facing the end of the trailer. And I look through the trailer to the frosted window.

And not a word of a lie, this HUGE ROUND LIGHT shines in the window. And I mean HUGE. Like a large spotlight is flashed in the window from the outside for 3 seconds, then it goes off. And the window isn't illuminated, like the light was from a distance. It is like a large spotlight is exactly against the frosted glass because the light source is completely round and delineated, not diffuse as it if was shining from a distance away. So I think, well, it is my brother goofing around, so I listen for a second and there is NO gravel crunching AT ALL. And you CAN'T shine a light in the window unless you crunch up to the gravel. So I think, he's still there, so I run to the door and open it and NO ONE IS THERE. NO ONE! So I think, he's gone into the house, so I take off to the back door but it is locked. I get the key and run inside and go upstairs. Everyone is completely. asleep. COMPLETELY...So I go back outside and think "where the HECK did that light come from?" and all of a sudden, I got super super nauseous and barfed right out of the blue. No warning -- just: where did the light come? I feel sick? BARF.

I cleaned everything up (took a hour) and stayed up the rest of the night. And I still can't figure it out -- it certainly wasn't a car going by as no cars went by and the window was oriented to the alley in the wrong direction. And there was a shed that would block any direct headlights from the alley. There was no intruder in the back yard because the front and back gate were padlocked. And it wasn't my DB playing a joke because he couldn't get to the trailer window without making noise, and there was not enough time for him to move silently from the back of the trailer over the gravel pad, run to the double back door, lock both doors, get upstairs, and pretend to be asleep -- after all, he was 9 years old at the time...

The next day, I pitched the Ouija board and refuse to pick another one up. No good will come of it, I figure...

Kira

dragonwoman64
08-10-2009, 03:33 PM
great story, bf would love to have his b'day on Halloween, his favorite holiday.

willa, I was thinking about the stories last night before I went to sleep and got the heebie jeebies even after saying I didn't think we should be afraid of ghosts

willa
08-10-2009, 04:46 PM
great story, bf would love to have his b'day on Halloween, his favorite holiday.

willa, I was thinking about the stories last night before I went to sleep and got the heebie jeebies even after saying I didn't think we should be afraid of ghosts

I love love love horror movies, but I just cant watch one when I know I'll be home alone to sleep. Last time my man slept at his mother's place, it took me like, 4 hours to fall asleep :yikes:

babybluess's story creeps me out so bad!
A man, looking at you downstairs, livid look in his eyes
----------> gone hidding

babybluess
08-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Willa..... You know what was odd is that I wasn't too afraid when It happened to me.....well once I moved to where he couldn't see me I was pretty ok. But I have to admit that I am the biggest chicken ever. The stories that I have read creeped me out. It is nice to share these things since I don't really talk about it.

Willa...and your picture...so funny!

starfishkitty
08-10-2009, 11:25 PM
I've seen and heard way WAY too many crazy things, unexplainable things to NOT believe, really.

My grandfather died in my home when I was 12 years old. For a period of a few years after that, I was home alone at night because my dad was usually spending the night at his girlfriend's house and my grandma was away on midnights. I'd be quietly doing something in the kitchen, my cat sitting and chilling with me, when all of a sudden I'd hear the thermostat beep (it only beeps when someone changes the temperature manually) and my cat would take off in that direction to go investigate. We'd both stare at it and just like... literally shake our heads at each other. (I loved that cat, hehe) And of course, sure enough, the temperature would be changed. The weird thing about that was that the last 6 or so months of his life, my grandpa's cancer always made him cold so he'd always be putting the temperature up. And, sure enough, when this would happen..... it'd be up.

Another time, kitty (notice my user name..... God I miss that cat :( ) and I were sitting in the rec room watching tv. All of a sudden, this little pamphlet that had been laying on a ledge just like.... wafted across the room! Way too hard and far for it to be merely a "breeze." Kitty, of course, took off after it.

And yet another time, my grandma came home from work one morning, about 7am and woke me up yelling at me about "having people over" when I knew I wasn't allowed to when I was home alone at night. I couldn't figure out what made her think I'd had people over... but then she showed me the two kitchen chairs that had been in the kitchen when I'd went to bed that night..... but were now in the front room of the house, facing each other. It was freaky, and absolutely random. To this day she thinks I was having guys over or something... :D

Another, non-family related incident..... a few years after all that other above mentioned activity, I was sitting in the French Quarter of New Orleans, where I'd moved to when I was 20, and was reading a paper in the back courtyard of a very very old bar that I was always a regular at. It was daytime, and I wasn't drinking.... was just bored and stopped by to read my paper in the sunlit courtyard. Back there they had the nighttime margarita bar, which had two sinks. One new, and working, the other very old, and not even connected to pipes... they'd just been too lazy to have the entire thing removed. So I'm sitting back there, reading, and all of sudden, I heard a squeaking sound and look up to see the nob on the OLD sink turning, and then water coming out!! It turned back around, and off, and I sat there shocked for a few second until I got up and ran back to the main bar area to tell my friend that bartended there what happened. We both were like "What the...?" Upon later inspection..... it still had no pipes connecting it whatsoever. Where the water I saw came from..... :shrug: :?:

Seriously... I think there's all different kinds of things... energies... beings.... out there that we just don't know or understand about. I've seen too much, and known way too many intelligent, trustworthy people that have had all different kinds of experiences to think otherwise. Whatever happens though, I think one should always go with their instinct. If it feels bad.... get the **** out!! You can tell when something doesn't mean you harm.... I honestly was kind of weirded out by the things that happened in my house, but I wasn't worried because I knew that it was just my grandpa making himself known.

Phenomenal Woman
08-11-2009, 08:06 AM
I absolutely believe in ghosts. When I was a kid we lived three houses away from a big Hotel that was built in 1884. It was an old hang out of Al Capone and his crew. To me, the hotel is beautiful, and I would very much love to be able to go inside it, but it has been shut down for many years, other than the bar on the ground floor. As far as I know, the rest of the building remains vacant and unused.

Most people would look at that beautiful building that used to be a major resort and think that its a big shame that they don't just renovate it and put it back into working order. But those of us who knew the place understood. You see, the owners have tried many times to work on the building, bring it back up to code and so on, but every time they start construction, weird things start happening not just in the Hotel, but in the surrounding houses as well. And they aren't just odd things, they are dangerous things.

Scaffolding that was in perfect condition broke under the feet of carpenters and painters. Workers would find themselves locked into certain parts of the place that didn't even have locks, tools would go missing, power tools would start working on their own, or not working despite being in perfect working order... It was weird stuff. They would always have to stop working after a few weeks for safety reasons.

In our house, weird things would also happen too every time they started working on the hotel. My step sisters shared a room next to mine, theirs was basically a mirror image of my room, they had a window to the side of the room that was about 25 feet from the ground below, and another window that was nestled into the slant of the roof. Outside of this window was a small bit of the roof, probably about 2 or 3 feet, and then a drop down to our front door which was probably about 30 feet. There was absolutely no way to climb up on top of our house without an extremely long ladder, which we didn't have.

When they started working on the Hotel, my step sisters found, on three different occasions, old old newspaper clippings, seeming to be from around the 1920s or 1930s stuck on nails to the wall inside their closet, and every clipping was about some body being found beaten and thrown into the trunk of a car.

At another time, a few years later when they started work on the hotel we were on the first floor and we heard the sound of running in hard soled shoes on a hard surface coming from the floor above us that was recently carpeted.

After that, my step sisters discovered that though they had just opened the screen on their front window the day before and it was normal, somehow the screen had been turned around as if to let somebody in from the outside. (Again, there was really no way to reach those windows from the outside of the house without a really big ladder, which we would have noticed, the house was never empty.)

Also, and this one cracked me up... My step-monster was always a stickler about how she rolled socks when she did the laundry. She took some weird pride in it. And one day when they were working on the hotel, my step-monster had just finished putting away my dad's laundry, and all of the kids were downstairs watching tv. She went back up to put one more pair of socks into his sock drawer and all of his socks were laying unrolled and INSIDE OUT inside the drawer! LOL

There was also another incident that was pretty freaky. The very first time our parents left us kids alone for the evening after the step family moved in, my step sisters and I were sitting in the living room talking and watching tv when all the sudden there was a screeching type of scream, piercing and LOUD that came from the kitchen. It was long too, it seemed like it lasted a full minute or more. We were scared out of our wits. When it finally stopped, we went to look in the kitchen, down the stairs and all over the house, all together, of course. (We weren't dummies, we'd seen horror films and we knew better than to separate! lol) We found nothing. None of us knew where it came from. Eventually we all went upstairs to go to bed. And about five minutes after we were in bed we heard the screech again, and again, it lasted like a full minute.

We got up the courage to go downstairs together to see if we could figure out what it was, but as we got down the stairs and peeked into the kitchen, it stopped. We were so scared we all stayed huddled in the living room that night shivering and waiting for our parents to come home. We got into a lot of trouble for not going to bed as we were supposed to, but none of us cared.

We never found out what it was that was screaming in the kitchen.

There were many other small incidents that happened in that house, but those were the normal lights and tvs and appliances going on and off, strange knocking, a few whispered voices, things like that.

HotWings
08-11-2009, 08:59 AM
WOW.. these are some awesome stories. I think these things happen more often than we are aware! Most would have scared the pants off me. lol!

Phenomenal Woman : OMG that's horror movie material. The newspaper clippings would have sent me to a hotel (Super8, NO hotel with any kind of history lol!). Does someone still live in that house? It would be interesting to see if they had anything wierd happen. I would be selling that house ASAP if that stuff had happened to me! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/konfus/d025.gif

willa
08-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Willa..... You know what was odd is that I wasn't too afraid when It happened to me.....well once I moved to where he couldn't see me I was pretty ok. But I have to admit that I am the biggest chicken ever. The stories that I have read creeped me out. It is nice to share these things since I don't really talk about it.

Willa...and your picture...so funny!

Thank you ;)

But still, your story, I can't forget it o_0

kuhrisuh
08-12-2009, 01:15 AM

:rofl:

starfishkitty
08-12-2009, 03:30 AM
Holy cow Phenom Woman.... that story totally gave me goosebumps! Talk about places with history....

Minya
08-12-2009, 04:06 AM
nyone watch 'A Haunting' on Discovery O_O omg, so scary

But I will say I believe in spirits.

One of my old friends back in NY owned an old fashioned heater, the one with the pipe through the roof and she took a picture of it once, there was a face in the heater, I saw the picture, was the creepiest thing I saw. ><

There was also a legend of an old rocking chair in a local NY cemetary in a place called Star Hill, every third person who sits in it, will die.

One more odd story, same Star Hill cemetary, a couple of my brother's friends were driving up there for kicks and giggles. Their car stalled out and they were forced out of the car to try to start it. It didn't work so they had to walk to the nearest gas station to call for help. The moment they were 1/4 mile from the car, the headlights turned on and the engine revved. They were all so freaked out, but they needed to go back and get the car. There weren't an problems when they reached it but they were all too scared to get back in it, but needed to to get home. LOL poor guys!

TracyB73
08-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I do believe in them I currently live in a haunted place and I am a member of a paranormal group here in Missouri I am also what is called an empath and I do see dead people

HotWings
10-21-2009, 12:46 AM
TracyB - Just saw this post! I want to revive this thread since it is getting close to Halloween ;) VERY interesting that you are an empath. What does your paranormal group do? Are there lots of haunted places in Missouri? How is your place haunted?! I am curious!

Also wanted to mention in this thread a new show called "Ghost Lab" on Discovery channel. I am watching it now and they are debunkers as well. Mike Rowe narrates it (as a side note I think that man is HOT HOT HOT lol). I am really liking it so far.. they have gone into Tombstone AZ to look for paranormal activity. It is apparently on Tuesday nights.

Another show I want to see is the Ghost Hunters show on October 31. It is supposed to be a totally live show. They are on the SyFy network. They will be locking themselves in Essex County Hospital.

http://www.syfy.com/ghlive/index.php

HotWings
10-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Ghost Adventurers is also doing a live show for 7 hours on October 30! They will be at the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. Supposed to be totally interactive on the website. They will interact with viewers through webcams, live chat & text messaging. :)

http://www.travelchannel.com/Ghost_Adventures_Live/about-the-show/

srr728
10-21-2009, 02:25 AM
I love this thread! i am a firm believer in spirits and the paranormal. Paranormal State is also very good on A&E and tonight they had a special called Extreme parenormal where they do experiments adn such. Cant wait to hear more stories ;)

HotWings
10-21-2009, 11:24 AM
I love this thread! i am a firm believer in spirits and the paranormal. Paranormal State is also very good on A&E and tonight they had a special called Extreme parenormal where they do experiments adn such. Cant wait to hear more stories ;)

I saw that show for the first time the other night! It really gave me the creeps. :eek: Mainly because I watched it late at night :D but also because it involved a spirit taking control of a person.

It was the one about a family that was having evil paranormal activity in their house. The spirit seemed to target the daughter (who was about 19 or 20 yrs old). Turned out that the daughter was possessed by this spirit and they had to do an exorcism. I can handle thinking about walking around and spirits are present.. but when it is something truly evil and takes over a person.. I just don't know if I can even watch that show again. :lol: I will have to check it out tonight and see just how much it creeps me out. :)

MagicWhispers64
10-21-2009, 01:05 PM
my family has always been super sensitive to spiritual things.. most recently (and i dont think this is a ghost, but is from another realm) my mother is dying. she has only a couple months or so less to live.. anyhow, she sees a man, he stands near her bed on her left, and is with her 24/7. he doesnt scare her( i have asked) , she says he brings her comfort. twice now in the last couple months i think i have seen him.. just a glimpse. i would think i phyced myself out to see him, but it was when i was entering the room, not even thinkin about him, and would see something for half a nano second...

when i was 18 my grandfather died.. he came to me in a dream, and told me he was happy and not to worry about him.. i can still close my eyes and feel his arms around me in that dream and i Know in my heart he came back to comfort me... i think some people are sensitive to it and some arent

kaybelle9
10-21-2009, 02:47 PM
I do believe too.. but I don't think it's scary. But here is the main reason why I believe:

I used to work as a CNA in a local retirement home. We worked with a lot of hospice patients and dealt with many end of life situations. We dealt with many people who suffered from Alzheimer. If you are not familiar with Alzheimer, the best/fastest way to describe those effected by it, is they begin to revert through the life stages. In the later stages, their logic and reasoning will return to that of a toddler's, where there is nothing outside of their little bubble. Eventually, they will become as a newborn. (This is just my experience with it and I hope I didn't offend anyone.)

I worked with a beautiful couple who shared a room at the home. The husband "Bill" passed from natural causes. His wife "Marcy" was in the latest stages of Alzheimer's and could not even recognize that he was gone. Marcy was unaware of things happening around her, and would often just talk to Bill. While bathing her, she would talk to him. While eating and laying in her bed at night she would talk to Bill. She'd even laugh as though he had responded. As a nurse, I always just passed it off as a symptom of the disease. Besides, she had no interest in anyone except Bill.
We received a new hospice patient named "Dorothy". Marcy and Dorothy had no interaction, and never spoke to each other. Within a month Dorothy passed. Her passing was of natural causes, and was in the middle of the night. Of course, the staff is sensitive to the family, and respectful, so the body was removed before any of the residents were awake.
The morning after Dorothy's death, we entered Marcy's room to prep her for the day. Before I had so much as turned on the light, She looked straight into my eyes and said "Dorothy's dead." Taken aback, I asked how she knew that. She knowingly smiled, and said,

"Because Bill told me."

BerkshireGrl
10-21-2009, 04:24 PM
^ Ooooo, spooky! :ghost:

brandnewme
10-21-2009, 07:50 PM
To understand the significance of my story, I will give a little bit of background information. My parents currently live in the home where my grandparents lived since the early 60s. My grandpa (dad's dad) passed away in '91. My dad's mom lives in Oakland with my aunt. There are pictures of the two of them up on the shelves in the living room and in various photo albums, but none that are very visible. My niece is 4 years old and obviously never got a chance to meet my grandpa. He's very rarely mentioned anymore, and I don't believe she's ever seen the pictures that are up on the shelves because they are too high for her. In addition, the only grandpa she has is my dad, whom she calls Papa.

My niece has been sick, and she was breathing really heavy this morning. My sister asked her if she was breathing ok, and my niece said she was fine. Then, she said, "I am breathing this way because it will help me rest." My sister asked her who told her that, and my niece said, "Grandpa did!"

My sister questioned her again, asking her if Papa told her, and my niece was adamant that no, "Grandpa did!" So my sister asked her a few more questions about "Grandpa" and my niece said that he lives with Papa, but he's bigger than Papa and he's a farmer (all true - my grandpa was a large man, and both he and my dad were farmers). My sister decided to get out her photo album and opened it to a page where there was a picture of my grandpa and a couple of his siblings. My niece looked at the picture and pointed to my grandpa and said, "Yeah, my grandpa!"

DanaLou
10-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Yes I believe in ghosts. I have had a couple experiences. Once in a hotel room in Biloxi, MS. I was visiting my husband (then BF) and he had went back to the base and I was getting in the shower. In the shower it got SUPER cold all around me the door opened and then the lights went out. I screamed at DH but no answer. I had heard the audible click off the light switch! I managed to get out and turn the light back on and peeked out to read him the riot act and noticed the bolt thing was still over the entry door to the room!!! I finished up and told him about it when he got back.

Next here in the house we have lived in for 5 years. An empty coffee pot was slung across the kitchen while me and the cats were in the office!! SCARY! I have also heard a cough from the living room. Then the other day right after DH had torn down and removed a shed that was attached to our detached garage I was in the shower (why is this a trend with me!?) and from the hallway I heard loud thumping and I had the tingles up my spine. I chocked it up to the cats but 30 seconds after hearing those sounds I got out of the shower and came to the living room and the cats were where I had left them fast asleep on top of storage crate. The couple that bought our house in 1941 never had kids and lived here with her dad. Both the dad and the husband died in the house! We believe strongly he lived in shed as it had gas, electric and apparently a bathroom at one time.

srr728
10-22-2009, 06:54 AM
i try not to be scared, but comforted by these stories that one day i will see signs and have feelings that people that have passed on are still with me.