100 lb. Club - Step away from the cake ... and no one gets hurts

LitChick
07-23-2009, 04:39 PM
There's birthday cake in the breakroom, mere feet from where I'm sitting. And it's the good kind of cake too, from Publix (local supermarket that makes the best cakes), chocolate with buttercream and oh so delicious, based on everyone's moans of delight and my own past experience (cake is a weakness of mine).

And guess what? It's my own fault that it's there! I'm the one that does the staff birthday thing, and in July we had so many birthdays I decided to get a cake.

I've made it this long, only a couple hours more to go, and it's become a point of pride that no, I will NOT go in there and just swipe the leftover icing with my finger, nor will I sneak just one small piece while no one's looking.

But oh! it is so tempting! :nono:

Shannon in ATL
07-23-2009, 04:46 PM
:nono: stay away from the cake!

I used to love love love love Publix cake, but after not eating it for a while it tastes way too sweet for me. If I'm going to indulge in cake it has to be a really good one, preferably homeade or from a fancy bakery.

You can do it! You can make it the rest of the day with no cake! You are so close! :)

Lissus
07-23-2009, 04:47 PM
You can do it! You're stronger than a simple piece of cake!

misspiggy408
07-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Back away from the cake ... LOL ... I hate coming to work sometimes because someone is always having a birthday, or bringing in donuts, or lunch is being catered, etc. :T BE STRONG!

MsDiana 08
07-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Back away from the cake ... LOL ... I hate coming to work sometimes because someone is always having a birthday, or bringing in donuts, or lunch is being catered, etc. :T BE STRONG!

It is always soooo tempting when someone brings in cak eor krispy kreme donuts....mmmm. It's the :devil:
:lol:

MugCanDoIt
07-23-2009, 05:02 PM
seeing the scale drop is much better than a temporary tast of cake, tell yourself that. You can do it girl!!!

Beck
07-23-2009, 05:04 PM
I had my birthday last week and decided to forgo any cake and ice cream. My kids were disappointed that they weren't to have any treat, but I didn't want to tempt myself with the sight of it in the house.

Will power!

TJFitnessDiva
07-23-2009, 05:08 PM
You can make it :) Get stubborn if only to prove a point to yourself!

rochemist
07-23-2009, 05:09 PM
I work in a candy factory, I say no every day so can you :)

quiffy
07-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah, workplace temptations suck. You can make it.

DCHound
07-23-2009, 05:12 PM
What you want to concentrate on and fantasize about is how AMAZING you are going to feel when you walk out the door from work tonight knowing you're stronger than that dern cake.

caryesings
07-23-2009, 05:19 PM
I work from home and have often been asked if it's hard to diet so close to the kitchen. That's not a problem as the only food in there is food that I plan on eating. I think office workers have it much worse. Stay strong!

H8cake
07-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Welcome to my world!;) I do cakes for a living and sometimes it's pure misery! Especially when I'm making cream cheese icing and it's everywhere:fr:
Just say NO!!!!

JayEll
07-23-2009, 05:53 PM
:drill: Step away from the cake. :drill:

Seriously, this is not the last and only cake on the planet! The day will come when you can have some cake. Really! It's just not today! And don't you worry, when you are ready, there will still be Publix cake in the world.

Hang on there! Be strong!

Jay

quiffy
07-23-2009, 06:03 PM
ughh I don't think I would do well making cakes for a living.

WildThings
07-23-2009, 08:51 PM
You know what...Publix is going to keep making cakes for a very long time, it will be there when you are at a point where you can have a serving a cake and move on. This is what I have to tell myself with these kinds of situations. This past year for Easter, there is one kind of candy that is only out at Easter and I wanted some so bad. Finally, I told myself that it will be here next year at Easter. The company was not going to go under just because I didn't eat their candy this year. Hopefully next year, I can have one piece and stay in control. If I can't, well, Easter, and this candy will come back around the following year. Maybe, I won't even want it next year, but it will still be there. I still walk through the bakery of the grocery store every time I'm in there, just to make sure all the cake, cookies, and donuts are still there. You know what...they are still there. They will continue to be there so at a point when I can handle myself with just having one small serving, the cake will be waiting.

LitChick
07-23-2009, 11:06 PM
I did it, I resisted the siren call of the cake! Thanks for all the encouragement and wow, some of you are masters of mastering temptation - kudos to you!

That part about realizing this is not my only opportunity to have cake really struck a chord with me. I really need to keep that in mind whenever I get tempted to give in to temptation. That, and how quickly the feeling of instant gratification passes. I have to keep focused on the goal.

Of course, some days are better than others. Today was one of the better ones. :)

Windchime
07-24-2009, 12:09 AM
:drill: Step away from the cake. :drill:

Seriously, this is not the last and only cake on the planet!

This is what I tell myself, too, and it really works. There will always be more delicious, sweet chocolate cake or <insert treat here>. Always. So I tell myself, "Maybe next time." I limit cake to family birthdays only, and I completely by pass the treats at work by saying, "Maybe I'll have that next time someone brings it in."

Somehow that's easier for my mind to handle than "no!"

findingfawn
07-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Cake is a weakness of mine too... I have been known to bake and eat an entire cake in a day! (Ok, so I have help with it from the family, but no one else put a dent into it compared to what I have eaten!!)

Great job on the will power!!!

dragonwoman64
07-24-2009, 09:19 AM
first of all, way to go on not eating the cake!! I will admit to you I'm not sure I would have made it through that temptation, I'm a big cake/chocolate lover.

The company was not going to go under just because I didn't eat their candy this year.

that is too funny, I was taking a walk yesterday and I passed my favorite burger joint in the neighborhood, which I haven't eat at in a couple of months. I felt this urge.... Then I said to myself, you know, they're not going to go out of business if you don't buy burgers from them, they'll be there for a long time to come, and if they go out of business, there will be another great burger place if you ever HAVE to have one. For now, I want to LOSE weight, and burgers and fries does not help to keep me moving in that direction.

Thighs Be Gone
07-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Lit chick, your name should be STRONG chick. Cake is one of my absolute, top of the list favorites. I cannot have a piece. It's the only food I know of that I will literally ENGULF knowing full well how bad it is for me.

I just about fell over laughing about your mention of "swiping" the leftover frosting. LOL--I thought I was the only one in the world that did that! Yep, I know it's shortening and sugar. It doesn't stop me though!!!!!

pintobean
07-24-2009, 09:34 AM
LitChick, Bravo!! saying No to the cake. I totally understand how hard it can be.

For me, cake is the :devil:. I crave it, want it, almost every time. I always have a hard time saying no to cake. I also have a huge sweet tooth. However, I am learning to control the urge and incorporate cake within my calorie intake. It's a learning process and I don't want to give up eating cake for the rest of my life. ;)

Nada
07-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I've found that "food snobism" has saved me on many occasions. Cake from a grocery store? Oh, please---only homemade (by a select group of bakers) or from a specialty bakery can pass my exacting standards. Otherwise it's not worth bothering with.

So I've managed to avoid many calories by cultivating pickiness. Hey, it works.

(That having been said, I've had cake this week.....the best chocolate cake in the world, made by my daughter and MIL. Nothing else come close.)

scarletmeshell
07-24-2009, 12:11 PM
You are simply fabulous! Congrats at resisting the tempation!

SunshineCA
07-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Great willpower! :)

synger
07-24-2009, 03:22 PM
I did it, I resisted the siren call of the cake! Thanks for all the encouragement and wow, some of you are masters of mastering temptation - kudos to you!

That part about realizing this is not my only opportunity to have cake really struck a chord with me. I really need to keep that in mind whenever I get tempted to give in to temptation. That, and how quickly the feeling of instant gratification passes. I have to keep focused on the goal.

Of course, some days are better than others. Today was one of the better ones. :)

That mental trick has helped me SO much. I think I read about it first in The Four Day Win, when I was looking at some of my oldest relationship-with-food memories. I remember sneaking food from the kitchen, and hoarding it in my room. Crackers, bread, anything starchy. Mom didn't keep cookies or treats in the house most of the time, so I made due with what we had.

There is still a strong part of me that wants to eat as quickly and as much as I can, before i "get caught." Even of healthy food. Realizing that *I* have control over what food is in my house, and that I can go and buy a bag of Oreos or a loaf of squishy-white-bread (all one word) if I want to has gone a long way toward my being able to say "Well, I can. But I don't want to now. I can next year, or next month, or for a special meal. But I don't have to now. They'll still be there when I do want them."