Old 07-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 144/140/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Am I eating too many carbs? What foods are naturally low carb?

Hey all,

I've lost about 5 lbs on my journey so far - I'm trying to lose between 10 and 20 more - but I feel as if I'm eating too many carbs. My Sparkpeople says I should be eating about 163-236 and with my budgeted dinner I will be at about 163 grams of carbs for the day - and this is without me eating any snacks. I'll admit, I made some homemade trail mix (which is the same as Walmart Sam's Choice Indulgent Trail Mix) and I was snacking on that earlier - which I probably shouldn't have been.. I feel as if the more I go on my diet, the more I crave stuff like cheese and peanut butter - which, at the beginning of my diet, I did not eat at all. Here is what I ate thus far, and what I will soon eat for dinner. Any suggestions of naturally low carb foods would be appreciated. I did my workout today, Week 4 of the C25K Plan, and that usually burns about 350 calories. Also, I have to do my "Strength" exercises from Sparkpeople!

Breakfast:
Multi-Grain Cheerios with Skim Milk
1/2 Cinnamon Raisin English Muffin (which will soon be substituted with Multi-Grain ones as soon as the CR ones are gone!)
1/2 tbsp whipped cream cheese
TOTAL: 332 Cals, 60 G Carbs, 4 G Fat, 15 G Protein.

Mid-morning Snack:
Sam's Choice Indulgent Trail Mix - BOO, I need to get rid of this stuff, it may be the death of me! - 170 Cals, 18 G Carbs, 9 G Fat, 4 G Protein

Lunch:
Arnold's Select Multi-Grain Sandwich Thins
Healthy Ones 97% Fat Free Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
Sara Lee Muenster Cheese - 1.5 slices (the "slice" is actually 1/2 slice of cheese, so in actuality I had 3/4 slice of cheese)
1 cup of red grapes
*Usually I eat a yogurt, but I was out and about today and didn't want it to get warm in the car!*
TOTAL: 321 Calories, 49 G Carbs, 8 G Fat, 18 G Protein.

4 PM SNACK:
Jif Reduced Fat PB on a Chocolate Crunch Rice Cake (bad idea w/ the choc crunch, I could have saved major calories there had I just used plain!)
TOTAL: 155 Calories, 20 G Carbs, 7 G Fat, 5 G Protein

Dinner:
4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
Spinach leaves
1/8 cup feta cheese (Ran out of the Reduced Fat kind)
Wishbone RW Vinagrette dressing (I ran out of my "light" stuff so I have to use what we have - cant you tell I need to shop?)
1 cup steamed broccoli
TOTAL: 296 Calories, 18 G Carbs, 9 G Fat, 4 G Protein

TOTAL CALORIES: 1274 - It says I should be eating 1200-1500.
Ashley82290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

If you want to lose weight faster, yeah, cut the carbs. I don't think you're getting enough protein. But that's just me. Snack on pickles, lunchmeat, hard boiled eggs.
happeningf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/175/135

Height: 5'6

Hi! I think it's great that you're using this site for help. With respect, I'd love to put a more balance menu up next to yours to show you haw to still get carbs but more balanced. I agree with the other poster that you're not getting enough protein. You're eating VERY carb heavy. Let's see if this helps!

Breakfast:
Multi-Grain Cheerios with Skim Milk
1/2 Cinnamon Raisin English Muffin (which will soon be substituted with Multi-Grain ones as soon as the CR ones are gone!): I would omit this muffin & add some friut. They give you carbs but in a more whole way.
1/2 tbsp whipped cream cheese: OMITTOTAL: 332 Cals, 60 G Carbs, 4 G Fat, 15 G Protein.

Mid-morning Snack:
Sam's Choice Indulgent Trail Mix - BOO, I need to get rid of this stuff, it may be the death of me! - 170 Cals, 18 G Carbs, 9 G Fat, 4 G Protein : This is good but what about this makes it indulgent? Can you snack on plain almonds or Trader Joes has some great nut mixes that would incorporate some "fun stuff" like raspberries, choco chips etc.

Lunch:
Arnold's Select Multi-Grain Sandwich Thins
Healthy Ones 97% Fat Free Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
Sara Lee Muenster Cheese - 1.5 slices (the "slice" is actually 1/2 slice of cheese, so in actuality I had 3/4 slice of cheese)
1 cup of red grapes
*Usually I eat a yogurt, but I was out and about today and didn't want it to get warm in the car!*
: This is a good lunch. But what about cooking up some chicken breast and making a great salad instead? Just to give yourself some extra protein. Or just make it tuna fish. You'll get so much more protein.

TOTAL: 321 Calories, 49 G Carbs, 8 G Fat, 18 G Protein.

4 PM SNACK:
Jif Reduced Fat PB on a Chocolate Crunch Rice Cake (bad idea w/ the choc crunch, I could have saved major calories there had I just used plain!): Hard boiled egg and some carrots. Or some veggies & ranch.
TOTAL: 155 Calories, 20 G Carbs, 7 G Fat, 5 G Protein

Dinner:
4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
Spinach leaves
1/8 cup feta cheese (Ran out of the Reduced Fat kind)
Wishbone RW Vinagrette dressing (I ran out of my "light" stuff so I have to use what we have - cant you tell I need to shop?)
1 cup steamed broccoli
TOTAL: 296 Calories, 18 G Carbs, 9 G Fat, 4 G Protein

This looks like a good menu! I just think you need to tweek it and maybe think outsie of the carb world/processed foods for snack. Think veggies, fruits, eggs, dry roasted edamame, steamed edamame, greek yogurt w./ a bit of honey. More whole foods. it's easy to get into a "diet food" trap.I eat about 1400 calories and would encourage you to up yours. I also try to eat about 40% carbs, 30% fats, 30% protein and that seems to work.

How does that look to you? I hope it helps! Calorie counting is totally a journey isn't it? But these forums can really help! I hope this did.
sassypants01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #4  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

To me, a diabetic who has to limit carbs, I dont really see a problem. But thats for a blood sugar point of view. Your breakfast was a bit high though..........but for a losing weight point of view, Im not really sure. Its hard to limit carbs, I know, believe me!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #5  
Yoyo Master

S/C/G: 182/175/130

Height: 5'5"

I use SparkPeople also (Skinnee_Minnee) and I almost always eat under my carb range without really trying.

I have found out that by concentrating on protein, my carbs naturally go down. I don't worry about fat.

I don't necessarily lose better on lower carbs, I'm just trying to maintain my muscle hence concentrating on protein.
Alright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #6  

Ashley -

Thanks for posting your menu! And, thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. I really learn a lot when I see sample menus and realistic options.
TexasLoser is offline   Reply With Quote