Weight Loss Support - new here, please help!!

View Full Version : new here, please help!!

lynnm2045
07-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Hello, I am brand new here and honestlly at the end of my rope. Ive lost and gained so much weight over the years. @ yrs ago lost 60 lbs on Jenny Craig....now gained it back, currently on Weight Watchers which is a joke, agter 20 weeks lost 6 lbs. I am falling into a deep depression over this, I even had a physical and my thyroid checked out fine. I work out, have for years, and eat what I believe is healthy but it is taking over my life, the obsession to loose and not being able to. I see many infomurcuals and have 2 questions, has anyone seen the one for the Skinny Switch secret? and the Food Lovers weight loss, if so, any feed back would be appreciated. I feel I am wasting my money, time and effort with weight watchers and just wonder if there is something different I can do to get out of the slump I have somehow fallen into. Thank you for leting me vent and for your support in advance!

JayEll
07-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Hey! :wave:

:wel3fc:

Well... it sounds like you've had success in the past. What happened after you lost weight on Jenny Craig?

It's unusual for someone to lose 6 pounds in 20 weeks on Weight Watchers unless they are not following the instructions... Is that what's been happening? If so, I would say that unless you are willing to follow instructions to the letter with any program, WW, Skinny Switch, or otherwise, you may not have any better results with them. This is just something to keep in mind. It may be that you would find it easier to follow a plan like Skinny Switch, I don't know.

Have you ever tried simple calorie counting? That's what I've used to lose.

Good luck! Maybe some other members have more experience with those programs.

Jay

CountingDown
07-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Another vote for calorie counting here. It is the only plan that has worked for me AND helped me learn to alter my lifestyle so that I didn't gain any of it back :)

:welcome:
You really can do this! And 3FC is a great site for support and encouragement!

Aclai4067
07-21-2009, 10:08 PM
It took me 6 months to loose 5lbs on WW, but as Jay said above, I wasn't actually following the program. Sometimes you want to lose weight but you aren't ready, which logically makes no sense and emotionally makes all the sense in the world. I had 2 years of hating myself and desparately wanting to lose weight but somehow just not being ready. I just couldn't make myself do it and it was the most infuriating thing in the world. In April, when I finally did get serious about WW I still wasn't feeling it. But I decided to approach it the way you approach a bad job. You don't want to go, you hate doing it, but you're an adult and you do what you have to do. I started tracking perfectly right down the every dip of every condiment (incidentally I found out honey mustard has about 4x the points I expected it to). The first couple weeks sucked, but when I saw the results it opened the motivation floodgates. It's so much easier to stay on track because I've been reminded what it feels like to succeed. And I'm happier which leads to less depression eating. I realize it can feel borderline impossible to start really working at it, but if you just push through it will get easier.

weightlossxprt
07-21-2009, 10:10 PM
NEW HERE! I need some help in shedding those last few pounds. In my case, that is about 9-10. I have some suggestions for those interested in losing a lot of weight as well but for me, I think I have reached a plateau....arghh....

Aclai4067
07-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Also, are you doing ww online or going to meetings? And if going to meetings, try speaking up more! I've done ww several times before, and being a shy person I naturally fall into the background and just observe. But I've found that I do so much better and get a LOT more out of the meetings when I speak up. Really, now they have to shut me up!

Altari
07-21-2009, 10:24 PM
I tried everything, as well. "Low carb" [read : no processed carbs, carbs from fruits/veggies ONLY] worked extremely well for me. It was hard, at first, to cut out rice, pasta and bread, but after a few weeks it wasn't that bad. It also gave me a reason to explore the infinite possibilities of veggies [I'm a pro at spaghetti squash dishes now].

lynnm2045
07-21-2009, 10:25 PM
I dont do weight watchers on line, I go to the meetings faithfully every week, i journal every thing, weight and measure, count all my pionts, i am very strict with it. I am very frustrated and want to throw my hands up in the air. I am considering tv doets, thats how desprate I am!

CamiToo
07-21-2009, 10:35 PM
A friend of mine purchased the food lovers program and since she wanted my sister and I to join her on that program, I had a chance to check it out. I think it was a waste of ALOT of money. You'd be better off spending that money on healthy food, fitness DVDs, fitness gear or pretty much anything BUT an infomercial(sp?) diet plan. This is just my opinion for what it's worth.

mkmlaw
07-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Can you give a sample day of food you eat? As a former WW'er and current calorie counter, I can say that I have discovered the source of calories really seems to matter for me in terms of actually losing weight. I now eat lean proteins and fruits/veggies and whole grains -- instead of things like the 100 calorie snack packs that I used to eat when on weight watchers.

Just curious...

weightlossxprt
07-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Well, I have already posted in a bunch of the "new" forums but I might as well mention that I am "New" here as well. Any help, tips, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to seeing some progress.

TJFitnessDiva
07-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm a former WWer too and now calorie count....have you brought this up to your WW leader and shown her your journal? Or post a sample day here so we can help :)

lynnm2045
07-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Ok, her is a day of eating for me

breakfast- low fat eng muffin w 1 tlb lf peanut butter and 1.2 cup skim milk

lunch- arnold flat bread with t tlb lf marg, i slice lf turky breat and 1 slice ff cheese. 1 cup grapes, 1 lf string cheese

dinner- ( varies) from either 3 oz meat, baked sweet potatoe fries, 1 tlb olive oil, and zuchinni or eggplant grilled with balsamic vinegar, or 1 cup wheat pasts with 1/2 cup sauce and veggies

snack and dessert- friut, sugar free pudding, lf pop corn, lf ypugart ( I mix these up, I dont eat all at the same sitting)

I also wirk out 4xs a week and only drink water.

Please help!

Aclai4067
07-21-2009, 11:18 PM
I don't know what your daily target is or what all that comes up to, but it seems like it could be low. Are you using all of you points?

TJFitnessDiva
07-21-2009, 11:19 PM
How many points are you supposed to have and how much do you really eat (it's late for me :lol:)? Have you tried eating activity points and/or your extra 35WP if you are eating all of your points?

lynnm2045
07-22-2009, 07:05 AM
I get 23 points and use them all, never using the extra 35. I only use 2 activity points as per my leaders instruction, although what I do really figures to earn about 6 or 7. I am really considering trying the Skinny Switch, Ive been reading up on it and in the end it may be cheaper than the 40$ a month I am paying at weight watchers to basically go in, get weighed, see the gain and sit for the meeting and than cry every week as I leave.......

jendiet
07-22-2009, 01:28 PM
23 pts is roughly 1150 cs. When I weighed 196 lbs. I lost weight if I stayed between 27-29 pts. I would lose weight on WW though and regain it everytime. I think I needed more structure.

lynnm2045
07-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I am supposed to have 23 and thats what i have, i also include my extra 2 for activity that my leader told me to do. I am supposed to gdet weighed in tomorrow ( Thursday) but honestlly I am thinking of blowing it off and I might try the Skinny Switch. I am so discouraged, I feel like I am falling appart!!!!

lynnm2045
07-22-2009, 08:58 PM
See, now you say 23 points is 1150 calories? I didnt know that and its funny you say that because when I did Jenny Craig and was so succesful I lost on 1500 cal due to my activity level. I figure with what I do I should have at least 7 more points but my leader said not to count all of them, to only use 2. So I do what she says and still, every week I gain. 20 weeks and 6 lbs, wtf is that! Im going to try the Skinny Switch. I dont know what else to do, every attempt with weight watchers has been unsuccessful!

kiramira
07-22-2009, 09:12 PM
NO! When you start looking at points with respect to daily intake this is how it works...

74 calories = 1 point when you are trying to figure out how many calories you get for, say, 20 points a day. Which makes 1480 calories.
WW doesn't want you go lower than 18 points per day, which equals 1260ish calories per day. If you use the calculator and enter 74 calories, 0 fat, 0 fiber, it comes out to 1 point. Any MORE calories gives more points.
http://www.webmilhouse.com/pointcalc.php

I've done WW and been successful. But we all have to find our own paths.

Best of luck!

Kira

jendiet
07-22-2009, 09:22 PM
oh, Kira, I must have been using a really old version--a friend gave it to me. If i put in 50 cs. 0 gfat 0 fiber it would be 1 pt.

here is the formula I got

Points = (Calories / 50) - (Fiber * 0.2) + (Fat * 0.083)

Thanks for the info. although I read online that 1 pt was 50 cs (75 in some cases?)

hmm...even that calculator reads 50 cs as one point? I think that should be adressed 50 cs compared to 74 cs a point--is a big difference.

50 *23 = 1150
74 * 3 = 1702

It is wierd that you are gaining even on 1150. I think 1500 would be optimal for you to lose. You know you can tailor any plan to you right?

TJFitnessDiva
07-22-2009, 09:28 PM
It's 74 calories with 0f and 0f ;) I lost about 120 pounds on WW....the only reason I switched to CC is because I fell in love with an iphone app from the daily plate lol

Beck
07-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Welcome to 3FC. I'm sorry that you're in a bad spot right now, but try to find the inner strength that allowed you to succeed last time. You can do it again! I'm not familiar with WW so can't help you there, but with you the best of luck with your efforts.

Aclai4067
07-22-2009, 09:41 PM
It seems weird to me that you would be gaining while staying within your points. Maybe you should talk to you doctor? You shouldn't be working hard and not getting results.

kiramira
07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
I had to really look into the daily points thing, because I thought it was 50 calories too.

I know that when I go to the grocery store and look at nutritional info, I mentally can guestimate the points if I use 50 calories per point as a guideline, and disregard the fat and fiber. JUST AS AN ESTIMATE. Like, if I want to buy something and there are two products and one is 150 calories, 2 g fat, 2 g fiber and the other is 200 calories, 3 g fat, 3 g fiber, and the serving sizes are the same, I'll guesstimate the 150 calorie product as 3 points per serving and the other as 4 points and make my decision. And I'm generally pretty accurate.

But when I really started entering pure calories without fat/fiber (making those values 0), this is where I got the 74 calories per point number.

And it makes sense, because WW is heavily into the nutritional aspect with respect to "safety" and recommendations. And no experts recommend going below 1200 calories a day. Which pretty much equates to 18 points per day. And WW says regardless of your weight/activity level, the MINIMUM number of points is 18 per day. So it makes sense to me.

Kira

JayEll
07-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi,

When I added up your daily menu, I got 18 points. So, something is off there. Check your calculations... Also, I would suggest you start eating those "extra" points you're allowed.

3FC has a WW forum, if you'd like to ask the chicks over there. This might be a good place to post:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ww-food-point-issues-23/

Jay

QuilterInVA
07-23-2009, 10:53 AM
It sure looks like you are not following WW. The menu you posted is short on protein and vegetables. You must get in the 9 HGs every day and eat all your daily points. You have made your body think it is starving so it is holding on to every calorie it can waiting for the famine to end. Many of us thought the more calories we cut, the more we would lose but that have found that when we eat more, we lose more with scientific facts to back that up.