100 lb. Club - The quote thread!

View Full Version : The quote thread!

Elladorine
07-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I've noticed that a lot of the chicks around here have posted some wonderfully inspirational quotes in their signatures or in various threads as we try to support each other. I thought it would be great to round up a bunch of those quotes (and others we can find) in one thread for all of us to look back on whenever we need that inspiration.

I'll start with something I posted in another thread . . .

"Do you believe you're a victim of a great compromise?
'Cause I believe if you change your mind, you'll change our lives."

~Your Life is Now, John Mellencamp

Well ok, it's more song lyrics than a traditional quote but you get the idea. ;)

What's a quote you've found inspiration from that can help us all through our journeys?

time2lose
07-21-2009, 04:41 PM
You've got to say, ''I think that if I keep working at this and want it bad enough I can have it.'' It's called perseverance. - Lee Iacocca

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. - Andy Warhol

If you keep on doing what you’ve always done,
you’ll keep on getting what you’ve always got. - W.L. Bateman

bitetoobreakkskin
07-21-2009, 04:58 PM
"lump sat alone in a buggy marsh totally emotionless except for her heart"..

its a song lyric-but my fave. its from the song lump by the presidents of the united states of america

sharongracepjs
07-21-2009, 05:44 PM
“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.”
-Oscar Wilde

beautifulone
07-21-2009, 07:57 PM
You've got to say, ''I think that if I keep working at this and want it bad enough I can have it.'' It's called perseverance. - Lee Iacocca

I really like this one!

SunshineCA
07-21-2009, 08:07 PM
What a great thread! :) I've commented on a few things some of our Chickies have said that were awesome. I'll keep my eyes peeled for those as well as famous, inspirational quotes. This will be a happy, feel good kind of thread. :)

lottie63
07-21-2009, 08:08 PM
"make progress, or make excuses"

MrsWolf
07-21-2009, 08:48 PM
This one has been rattling around in my head lately

"So what do we do? Anything. Something. So long as we just don't sit there. If we screw it up, start over. Try something else. If we wait until we've satisfied all the uncertainties, it may be too late." - Lee Iacocca

And this is an all time favourite for me

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or ****. ~the Buddha

Peace, Heather

Windchime
07-21-2009, 10:06 PM
"Any man can work when every stroke of his hands brings down the fruit rattling from the tree....but to labor in season and out of season, under every discouragement....that requires a heroism which is transcendent."

-Henry Ward Beecher

rockinrobin
07-21-2009, 10:11 PM
I love my current quote that's in my signature. LOVE it.

"The only thing standing between who you are and who you want to be is what you do."

Also love :

"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more luck I have". Thomas Jefferson

You’ll never achieve extraordinary results by taking average measures –

You must save yourself or remain unsaved.
__
"When I changed my attitude, I changed my life!!"

Are you interested in losing weight or COMMITTED to losing weight?

"If I don't take care of my body, where will I live?" - A.S.

"Winners are too busy to be sad, too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated." –

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Remember when you see a man at the top of a mountain, he didn't fall there.

"It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready and WILLING to change and others are not."

What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it.

Sacrifice is giving up something good for something better.

Take the pains required to become what you want to become, or you might end up becoming something you’d rather not be.

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

weightlossxprt
07-21-2009, 10:14 PM
An pessimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty....An OPTIMIST finds the opportunity in every difficulty--Sir Winston Churchill.

This is my guiding light!

LitChick
07-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Great thread!

One of my favorites is in my signature:

"Don't let your mind bully your body into believing it must carry the burden of its worries." ~ Astrid Alauda

There was one I remember seeing on 3FC one time but I don't remember who said it or how it was phrased exactly. Something along the lines of "If you fall down a 1/2 flight of stairs, do you throw yourself down the other half? No. So why do it when you fall off plan. Don't use it as an excuse to continue off plan. Get back up and get on track." - I'm sure it was more concise than that, though.

HeidiNicole
07-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Some that are currently speaking to me the most

The only time it's too late to change yourself is when you're dead. Until then, you're simply making excuses or lying to yourself.

You get whatever you settle for.

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down...

CLCSC145
07-21-2009, 11:41 PM
I keep a running list of quotes in a Word doc that I love. Here are the ones pertinent to this journey that I love:

“Losing weight is not a goal in itself but rather the result of changing your attitude and the way you do things. Therefore, the truest indication that you're winning this battle comes in how you spend your days.” Victoria Moran

“It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are.”

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” Carl Bard

“You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.” James Allen

“Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.” Leon J. Suenes

"No man in the world has more courage than the man who can stop after eating one peanut." Channing Pollock

Onederchic
08-12-2009, 04:52 PM
“The will to win is important, but the will to prepare is vital.” - Unsure of who said this but I like it :D

YogaGal08
08-12-2009, 05:40 PM
"Well behaved women rarely make history" -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich :)

Onederchic
08-12-2009, 06:43 PM
“Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, and virtue is doing it.”

kuhrisuh
08-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Awesome thread :)

-Better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness.

-Success is a journey, not a destination.

GirlyGirlSebas
08-12-2009, 09:57 PM
"I think I can, I think I can" - Little Engine That Could

"Just Do It" - NIKE

starfishkitty
08-13-2009, 05:49 AM
This one reminds me of the body struggles we all are going through on here. Its about drugs... but how many of us will refute that food isn't an addiction... and what we're going through isn't a battle?

"I've wanted to feel pleasure to the point of insanity. They call it getting high, because it's wanting to know that higher level, that godlike level. You want to touch the heavens, you want to feel glory and euphoria, but the trick is that it takes work. You can't buy it, you can't get it on a street corner, you can't steal it or inject it or shove it up your a**, you have to earn it." - Anthony Kiedis, Red Hot Chili Peppers

Devsmama
08-13-2009, 07:32 AM
"Go hard or go home" some rapper

“I prepare to win, I prepare to dominate, I prepare to conquer, ... I prepare to win it all, and that's one of the reasons I'm here.” Deion Sanders

"I learned that if you want to make it bad enough, no matter how bad it is, you can make it." Gale Sayers

"The road to Easy Street goes through the sewer." John Madden

Misora
08-13-2009, 12:54 PM
“It's like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” El Doctorow

And from someone here on the forums whose name I've sadly forgotten
"If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution."

paisleyprincess
08-14-2009, 07:07 PM
"Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted" Author Unknown

"Know your limits... but never stop trying to exceed them." Anonymous

"There is no elevator to sucess. You have to take the stairs." Anonymous

"A man who wants something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." Stephen Dolley Jr.

"Fall seven times, stand up eight." Japanese Proverb

CLCSC145
01-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread because it's got some great inspiration that I think we all could use going into the new year.

I found another good quote that spoke to me today:

“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” -Thomas Edison

It made me think of all the possible life experiences I would be throwing away if I somehow failed to see this weight loss through and beyond (I'm not thinking of giving up, mind you, but I've done it before and it freaks me out to know I've got that potential). And I got to thinking of this because of the thread earlier today that asked if we were scared to lose the weight - scared of not knowing who we'll be once the fat is stripped away. I'm totally scared. And totally excited. But fear wins a lot of the time in my head. But if we give in to the fear, who knows what fabulous life experiences might have been just a breath away that we'll miss out on? Why trade wonderful possibilities for regrets?

HeyHeyGabby
01-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Quotes from my heroes: Albus Dumbledore and Sirius Black-

"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Matthew 6:21 as well as a quote from Albus Dumbledore

"Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy."- Albus Dumbledore

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- Albus Dumbledore

"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live"- Albus Dumbledore

"It is our choices that show what we are, far more than our abilities"- Albus Dumbledore

"Numbing the pain for a while will only make it worse when you finally feel it.- Albus Dumbledore

"The world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on."- Sirius Black

denise828
01-03-2010, 11:36 PM
"Never trade what you want the most for what you want at the moment"...Unknown

Wow! This sure hits home! I am such an impulsive person and I ALWAYS give in when it comes to food. If I see it and want it (and sometimes I don't really want it) I go for it. Then I hate myself and blow my diet. It's time to work on this issue!

Blessings....

Mommato2
01-04-2010, 12:42 AM
these are so encouraging =)

myhaloisintheshop
03-25-2011, 11:15 AM
You can tell me that you CHOOSE to quit. That you CHOOSE to be less than what you are and LESS than what GOD INTENDED, but don't ever tell me that you CAN'T do it. ~Jillian Michaels

OhMyDogs
03-25-2011, 11:39 AM
This is from a song as well, but every time I hear the song it gives me some more resolve to beat this weight!

I'm through accepting limits
''cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!

It's from Defying Gravity (I prefer the Glee rendition personally).

Sandi
03-25-2011, 12:02 PM
The two that have stuck me recently are these...

on the wall at the YMCA in the pool area...
"No matter how slow you are going, you have lapped the person at home sitting on the couch!"

And from a friend who saw it in her daughters room...
"Not today? Might as well be never"

ShanIAm
03-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Mine is in my signature!

Trazey34
03-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I read mine in a book somewhere I think but it's been my mantra for years.

If someone is trying to FORCE cookies or a 2nd helping on you and you feel bad when they say "oh come on ONE cookie isn't going to hurt you" i say

"No, but it's not going to HELP me either, and I need all the help I can get! Maybe next time"

starfishkitty
03-26-2011, 11:07 PM
^ Lol!

Bunti
03-27-2011, 12:07 AM
This one is one my dad used to say often:

"Don't spend too much time looking back. You'll trip and miss the best part of now."

shawnamadonna1013
03-27-2011, 12:40 AM
I love this thread.

This one I saw here years ago:
A year from now you'll wish you'd started today.
- this one gets me because I see that I started coming here in 2006 but I'm still having the same problems 5 years later.

From The Biggest Loser:
There are 3 things that get a man out of bed in the morning. The first is debt, the second is family, and the third is the fire in your belly.

From someone's signature:
If you want something you never had, you must be willing to do something you never did.

Hoorah for the Dumbledore quotes from HeyHeyGabby. Love him.

gloo
03-27-2011, 02:32 PM
"Slowly we unfurl as lotus flowers." -- Radiohead

This tiny little quote gives me so much strength. I love the significance of the lotus flower, which grows from the mucky mud at the bottom of ponds and streams and emerges as this gorgeous, vibrant blossom. When I'm feeling horrible about where I am, I use that analogy to think about where I came from and the strong and beautiful person I'm growing into.

konfyoozed
03-27-2011, 03:10 PM
I found this one a while back, and for some reason it's kinda stuck with me.

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."
~Arthur C. Clarke

shawnamadonna1013
04-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Saw this at work yesterday:
"Which fits your schedule better - exercising 1 hour/day or being dead 24 hours/day?"