South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/seeticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Question Breaking the "Atkins" mindframe?

I did Atkins several years ago, with great success. I lost 30lbs and as long as I was in "ketosis" I never worried about how much I was eating.

I understand the SBD teaches not to count calories, fat, or escpecially carbs, but it goes against everything my body's saying is right about Atkins. Especially the "low-fat" varieties of things, because typically low-fat, means "fat reduced/carbs increased". I like SBD because you can eat more veggies and "healthy" foods focusing on a more realistic lifestyle, without all the bacon/beef jerky/pepperoni/chicken wings.

Has anyone gone from Atkins to SBD approach? I honestly tried SBD before Atkins, and gained 5 lbs, before I changed gears, did Atkins and lost the weight. Any suggestions on how to do the SBD succesfully? Also, I'm confused on the food allowances, since it says we can have 2 c FF milk, 2 Tbs cream cheese, etc. Surely these are limited in combination, right?

Ugh, I'm so confused!

Last edited by LaMariposa018; 07-21-2009 at 02:56 PM.
LaMariposa018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

to The Beach. Have you read the book? That should help you move away from Atkins thinking. This is a good carb, not a low carb plan.

If you check out the Phase I Food List in the FAQ Section, you will note that dairy is limited to 2 cups daily in total. Cream cheese is not considered dairy or cheese and is to be used sparingly.

Aside from the food lists, there is a wealth of other information in the FAQ section stickies that may answer some of your concerns. There's even a thread comparing Atkins and SBD.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello and

I hope you'll find some answers to your questions through feedback, reading the book, and perusing old threads.

I tried Adkins briefly a number of years ago. I was alot younger and didn't have the health issues I acquired later on. I'm sure I didn't read the book well and just remember being kind of obsessed with ketosis.

I started eating healthier in 2003 without following any "plan". I was able to lose 50 pounds and keep it off. Wanting to finally lose the rest, I found myself in a "state of confusion". I needed a "plan" and came to SB because it incorporated alot of the healthy ideas I was already practicing, but gave me a structure to follow to turn my "idea" of healthy eating into a WOL.

I'm off blood pressure meds, feeling then I ever have and am really thrilled to be losing weight while eating healthy carbs and avoiding nasty sugars. Whenever I have a question I look to the book first, then come here and ask.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 168/155/140

Height: 5'7"

I'm new to SBD and I am currently coming off of Atkins. It has been a little hard. I'm not done with phase 1 yet and have to keep going back to my notes. I have a flaxseed muffin in the morning (MIM) and then realized flaxseed is limited to 3 tablespoons. I'm hoping the slight variances wont hurt much since it is still considered a good carb right? I got the book finally in the mail and hoping phase II will be a little easier.
Walthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Walthree If you have a microwave muffin pan you can triple the recipe make 6 and still come in under t he requirements
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #6  

Thanks for the welcome. I did check the book out of our library, and I'm reading through it. I'm following phase 1 at the moment, but I still can't shake the "counting" mentality. I think if I can get rid of that, I can eat what I'm supposed to, and not be hungry all the time like I currently am.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 AM   #7  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I can understand your confusion. I've been following SBD and am now trying Atkins. Like you said, making food selections goes against so many things you learned.

The biggest differences I can see is that now you will need to look at fats and keep them low and you don't need to limit your carbs like before. Having beans/legumes daily will be something that I will definitely miss. Besides the lists of allowable SBD foods, print out the "how to adapt your meal plan"...both are in the SBD FAQ here on 3FC. Those guides for PH1 (and later PH2) were invaluable to me and very helpful.

Good luck with the SBD!
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

LaMariposa! It's definitely hard to get rid of a counting mentality when switching plans, but it's do-able.

I started SBD because my doctor told me that her patients were having success with both SBD and Atkins, but only the SBDers were keeping the weight off. Plus, high cholesterol runs in my family, so it didn't seem like a good idea to eat all those bad fats.

SBD works similarly to Atkins in terms of the way you looked at it. Once you detox from the sugar, you don't need to worry about how much you're eating (while remaining within the guidelines of the plan) as long as you stay away from the things that will mess up your detox. Does that make sense? In a way, it's similar to the ketosis idea--at least it seems so to me. The guidelines are in place to help you create a plan that helps you stay away from fluctuating blood sugar levels to lead to cravings.

When you're through with the book, let us know if you have questions. It may turn out that Atkins is the right plan for you. But maybe you're ready for a change. Either way, 3FC is a great place to find support and help!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizski View Post
Besides the lists of allowable SBD foods, print out the "how to adapt your meal plan"...both are in the SBD FAQ here on 3FC. Those guides for PH1 (and later PH2) were invaluable to me and very helpful.

Good luck with the SBD!
Thanks! I didn't see that sticky - that will be very helpful.

Is anyone else really hungry on this diet? I have found myself really hungry in the early afternoon and late evening (I have loooooooooong days). Even though I try to "graze" and do eat the recommended snacks like the book says to prevent the sugar drop, I'm still famished at these times (about an hour after I eat my meals). Although I'm on day 5 and have dropped 4 lbs this week so far, so it's encouraging.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

LaMariposa, are you eating the 4 1/2 cups of veggies daily and the 2 Tbs of good fat on the plan? You should not be hungry an hour after meals. Make sure you're eating adequate protein servings too. The nut servings are also helpful for satiety. Why not list your typical menu here for a critique.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #11  

Here's my menu from yesterday:

Breakfast about 8am:

3eggs scrambled
FF cheddar cheese to taste
yellow bell pepper (5 slices) diced
ham (not honey baked) diced in eggs

Snack about 10am:
a few cheese cubes
cucumbers (1/2 cup)

Lunch about 12pm:
Salad w/ iceberg lettuce (a HUGE bowl)
a few sunflower seeds
1/2 can tuna
low-sugar/lowfat dressing

Snack about 3pm:
yellow pepper slices, cucumber slices
veggie dip (2 tbsp dressing)

Snack about 6pm (waiting for DH to get home to eat)
20 peanuts

Dinner about 8pm:
6 oz pork loin w/ mustard/rf sour cream marinade from South Beach:Supercharged book
1.5 cup steamed brocolli and cauliflower with lemon to flavor
1 cup iceberg lettuce

Snack about 10pm - I know I'm up too late)
A sugar free worthers original (I needed something sweet and the sugar fee jello wasn't set yet!)
Old 07-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Your menu looks pretty good. I would try eating beans daily, also no dairy seen. Can you get in some FF or RF milk or FF plain yogurt?
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/170

Height: 5'8

Hi LaMariposa ..

This is coming to the end of my first week on phase 2. The first 2 weeks on p1, I lost 15 lbs.

I have to say, I have never felt better! I never really found myself hungry or feeling deprived of anything.

Your menu looks pretty good, but as was mentioned, you should try getting in some dairy. Yogurt and cottage cheese is good for protein and filling you up too. One little thing I do for cottage cheese is add a bit of brown sugar twin, a bit of cinnamon, and some vanilla extract. It's like a little treat and satisfies the hunger !!

I did atkins before too, as well as probably every other diet out there. You just have to try to clear your head, and start fresh with SB. I know it's easy to compare, but if you read the book and check in here for info and recipes and support, you will get adjusted, and maybe really like it

Best of luck to you!
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #14  

whoops. I did forget to add my drinks. I usually have 1c 1% milk w/ breakfast and dinner. I also drink a LOT of water to try and keep me "filled". I tend to want to eat when I'm thirsty.

I'm going to head to the store this weekend (I didn't prepare for SB, I've been wanting to do it for a while, and a glimpse in the mirror on Mon said "today's the day you cow!" lol). I will pick up some beans and yogurt.

I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks girls!

Last edited by LaMariposa018; 07-24-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #15  

La Mariposa: Just wanted to pop in to welcome you! I used to do Atkins a long time ago. I did well until I became pregnant with my DS, who is age 7 now.

I never thought SB would be the way for me. However, once I read the book and did more research, I realized this is a much better deal. I've started and re-started several times until I finally learned that this must be a total commitment for me or success will not be in my future. I'm currently on week 1 of Phase 2. I'm pretty familiar with this by now so I'm doing well. The first 2 weeks on Phase 1, I lost 10.8 pounds.

This is doable! I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited by SunshineCA; 07-24-2009 at 07:44 PM.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote