Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #1  
Walk By Faith †

S/C/G: 269.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'7"

Question Fiber drinks not helping....

So....I have had issues being "regular" I've tried the fiber drinks and they dont seem to be helping. Any suggestions?
Dedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Remember there are two kinds of fiber - soluble and insoluble. Soluble dissolves in water and helps lower cholesterol and regulate blood sugar among other things. Insoluble absorbs water (bulks up) and keeps you regular. You need both to be healthy, but if regularity is your issue, you need extra focus on the insoluble fiber.

You might consider adding a high fiber cereal to your day and lots of veggies of you aren't already eating them. I like Fiber One original. A serving is really small and it tastes good with only 60 calories not counting milk.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 213\see ticker\165

Height: 5' 9"

Try Internal Cleanser.
It seems to work.....some ladies said benifiber is about the same label wise as our fiber drinks but works better. If you search on here you should be able to find the thread.
jeweliek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #4  
Walk By Faith †

Im not able to have cereal on plan. The internal cleanser gave me horrible stomach pain....made things worse.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedge View Post
So....I have had issues being "regular" I've tried the fiber drinks and they dont seem to be helping. Any suggestions?
I just bought the fiber drink today. My counselor also said to increase the flax to 9 a day (9,000 mg). That would be 2 with each meal and 3 at bedtime.
ali g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #6  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Have you been to a gastronolgist {sp} yet. I don't know how bad your problem is . I have suffered a life time worth of problems laxitives fiber ect ect and still would not GOOOOOOO just become more and more bloated in my life time if I went every 2 weeks a small amt. I would feel LUCKY!!! I always felt it was why I was overweight {not} but I thought so! ANYWAYS turned out I have IBSC and along with that extra extra long colon so combined it takes a really long time for things to pass through me. The last Gastronoghist was the one to really get it on the head and get me MOVING anyways The medication I take is called Amizita {now a low dosage twice daily} and every morning I take MiraLax which is over the counter. My diet these days is very high in fruits and veg.and protiens and I LOVE KASHI GO LEAN Cereal It has 13 g of Protien, 10 g fiber [1g souluble 9g insoulbe] 1g Fat, 1 Cup has 140 Calories. I did like fiber one it has more fiber it comes all from bran which can be binding for some people Kashi use a large variety (see box)
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Im not able to have cereal on plan. The internal cleanser gave me horrible stomach pain....made things worse.
Dedge,
I'm in the same boat that you're in. That's one reason I quit taking all the supplements except for EFA and multivitamin. It helped a little but still...I wonder what exactly it is about this plan that causes this problem. We are eating a lot of fiber in vegetables, but it doesn't help one bit. Their fiber drinks just cause a lot of air for me. So I'm not really sure what I can take at this point to keep things regular.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Hey Dedge,
Most of us on MRC suffer from this as well, including myself and I had never had a problem with this prior to MRC, I promise. Here are some recommendations:

1. Reduce the amt of cheese your eating - preferably cut it out for a while.
2. Be sure you're getting enough water - 128 oz is best.
3. Add the fiber as mentioned, benefiber is great with least amt of calories if
fiber drinks aren't cutting it.
4. Increase Flax to 9 per day
5. Eat more raw veggies for a while instead of cooked.
6. Try Senokot tablets (usually 2 does the trick for me) or drink Senna Tea (Dieter's Tea with Senna as a main ingredient) - 1 cupful will have you going quite a bit so don't do more than that and follow the directions on the box. Usually this does the trick but don't use daily, it is a natural stimulant laxative and you don't want to become dependant on using this.

Miralax is great for anyone with constipation, not a stimulant laxative and no harm in using daily - I have no idea what effect it will have on this plan and ketosis though, unsure how many carbs/calories are in Miralax. I'll do some research.

7. Add in the tablespoon (qty right?) of olive oil recommended daily on your plan.

Let me know if the above doesn't work :0)

Last edited by Karen1234; 07-21-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Alright I'm back from researching, Miralax has little to no calories as it is poorly absorbed by the body and instead works to bulk stool, bring water into it to soften it and promote a BM. Whoo hoo... I think I'm going to get a bottle myself. It's 1 capful dissolved in 4-8 oz of fluid (best if 8 oz) 1-2 times a day as needed. :0)
Karen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #10  
Walk By Faith †

Thumbs up

I think Im gonna get some Miralax.....thanks!!! Glad to hear that I am not the only one with this issue.