Weight Loss Support - Finding good in a bad situation

View Full Version : Finding good in a bad situation

Featherfire
07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Okay, so as many of you who have read my recent posts, life hasn't exactly been easy lately. So, to add to the dislocated jaw and dentist enforced liquid diet (yay Arbonne shakes with lots of frozen/fresh fruit added with light vanilla soy milk!) my hair stylist made a big boo-boo.

First, it started with a slightly over-processed perm. My hair was definitely fried, though salvagable. I waited a month and went back for a trim on the damaged ends. Here, the problem escalated to what I'm being left with as an option. As she was trimming the top of my head, she got distracted and looked away briefly, unfortunately in doing that, instead of trimming my hair slightly, a huge section on the top of my head was hacked to less than an inch long.

*insert my brain going into shock here*

So, I've been unable for the past two weeks to do anything with my hair other than pull it back into a now very stubby pony tail and spray and clip the **** out of the top, which is now thin spikey hair and hope to **** that no one notices that other than summer, there's a reason I wont leave my hair down.

I had a lightbulb lighting up over my head moment the other night and I'm going through with it by the end of this week. (once my order arrives!)
I'm borrowing my best friend's clippers and buzzing all of my hair.

I know the choice seems extreme, but for me, it feels like a fresh start.
The last time my hair was it's natural color and never touched by any sort of chemical service was right before my 108lb in 6 month weight gain.
So, I'm making a new beginning for myself. My hair will be new, as will be my changing shape! As I lose the weight, my hair will regrow. I consider it to be a time for a new me in many ways.

Now, I know I definitely don't have the courage to go around with buzzed hair, especially around my incredibly supportive (but in the dark about this) man, so I came up with an alternative.
I hit up ebay and after hours of some serious price trolling, I managed to get a good quality human hair full lace wig that I can glue and go with until my hair is long enough for a cute pixie style or I choose to just let it show. The best part is, the wig color and style match my pre-hair salon disaster, so unless I get the guts to tell my man and my family, there's a good chance they'll never know until the reveal.

I've not been this excited about a hurdle in my life. If I keep on track and work hard, I'll be able to reveal a completely new person by the time we once again slowly peel off the winter layers of hoodies and oversized clothing that are just so comfy! :dizzy:

So, things could be worse, I could be utterly miserable and dwelling on the issue, but for once, I found good and a new lease on life! I'll keep everyone posted! Maybe you'll get lucky and I'll post before and after pics of the hair and weight loss!

shashasha
07-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Wow that's really brave! I had a similair situation when a hairdresser burnt off my hair and it went from waist length to a couple of inches of straw. It was one of the worst experiences and right before my 21st birthday. I sympathise with you so much and hope you feel better soon! I just kept reminding myself that so many people loose their hair through illness and at least I was healthy and hairless! I could never have shaved it off, I just used the most ridiculous amount of deep conditioner for months and stayed away from heat, hair dye etc and it grew back fairly quickly. I remeber my mother suggesting cutting it short and getting a wig but there is no way I could have done that - I was traumatised enough! Just remeber there is no going back after you have buzzed it but hair does grow fast. I wish you the very best of luck and hope you find a MUCH better hairdresser very soon!!

kestrel
07-20-2009, 02:39 PM
I've often wanted to do that myself! Just to get a fresh start with my hair not damaged, and perhaps remember what my original hair color is. ;) I have some scarves that I wear tied over my head a lot in the summer to keep my scalp from getting burned, so if I ever do it then I'll keep those handy in a variety of colors.

I would love to see before and after pics if you do it!

JulieJ08
07-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Why not start out with the cute pixie style?

Featherfire
07-20-2009, 04:06 PM
I'd start with the pixie style, but it's too far damaged unfortunately. The shortest part at the moment, is on the very top of my head, smack in the middle. I've been trying to hide it by clipping back my bangs, but I still get the spikes sticking straight up behind the clips and what looks like a practically bald spot because of the light color versus my natural somewhat dark brown.
I'll post pics the day I do it, which hopefully will be either Thursday or Friday! (all depends on the speed of the mail! I'll be trolling the mailbox!)

HungryHungryHippo
07-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I think that's a great idea! (And I love your avatar!)

Featherfire
07-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks! I'm a crazy bunny-mom and just loved that picture when I found it online! My version of a workout today was measuring and cutting the carpet and wood pieces to make her a bunny castle! *L* more like a fortress with a sun roof but hey, I'm trying! ....and now to nurse the blisters ^^

jendiet
07-20-2009, 09:36 PM
wow! I've been thinking of dying my hair to signal a new start. What stops me is how badly the chemicals treat your hair. Your post just reinforced that to me. I have used a semi-permanent color before but nothing drastic. I was wanting to dye my hair black with burgundy highlights. I wish it wouldn't damage my very soft hair. I have fine stranded thick hair. I don't think it would handle very much.

I think in your case, I would shave it off. **** yeah, it would be so healthy. I'd wear the wig too.

paradoxx
07-20-2009, 10:20 PM
I think that you are making a solid decision. I am also a member at a long hair care forum and a number of people there have buzzed their hair to get rid of the damage. It is frustrating at first, but it gives you a fresh start. You'll have a cute pixie cut on fresh, undamaged hair before you know it!

shcirerf
07-21-2009, 09:06 AM
I actually keep my hair around an inch long all over, with slightly longer fringey bangs.

It's quite liberating!:carrot: I can have my hair done in 2 mins. Don't have to worry about it the rest of the day.

It seemed a bit strange the first time I did it, but now I love it. I used to have very long hair, and while it's pretty and men like it, it's a ton of work to keep it up properly.

Thighs Be Gone
07-21-2009, 09:20 AM
I am so sorry for the hairdressers error! I hope things begin looking up soon for you in every direction. Out of curiousity, what did she say????

I would definitely try the hair piece. Hair is BIG to me. I must have my hair--just don't feel complete without it--maybe it's the Texan in me. Lol. Get yourself into something comfortable and by all means--find a new hairdresser!!!

My prayer for you this morning is for everything to start looking up again--health wise and hair wise!

Tomato
07-21-2009, 10:22 AM
I am sorry about your hair dresser's screw up. Did she at least make it up to you? First she burnt your hair and then she cut off an important section way too short? I don't think she would see me again after that.
Personally, I would spring for the buzzed-off head. Or perhaps 1/4" long. I know it can be a scary thought but it would grow up quickly. I myself keep my hair short (right now it is way shorther than in my avatar) and I need a haircut every 6 weeks at the very latest because then it becomes unmanageable.
I hope the wig will tide you over the worst.

Featherfire
07-23-2009, 01:40 AM
It's late and I just got home from a great concert with my amazing boyfriend, but TOMORROW IS THE DAY! I'm going to take pics early afternoon, and then it's off with the hair! I'm actually really excited about this, rather than afraid, especially after the amount that comes out when I try to dry it or comb it back into a ponytail after a shower. I'm shedding so much I'm amazed I have anything to cut!

Altari
07-23-2009, 02:22 AM
I wish I had read this earlier, lol.

If your plan doesn't work out...spend a few days telling people that you're going to be a "shavee (https://www.stbaldricks.org/get_involved/shavee.php)", solicit donations, then just shave it all off. Yes, you'll be bald. BUT, instead of having to say "the hairdresser screwed up" when people ask why, you can say "I was participating in an event to raise funds and awareness for childhood cancer." AND you can raise funds for cancer kids!

Kimmie1989
07-23-2009, 02:54 AM
Awesome!!!!!!!! I kind of wish I could shave my hair off and start new.... but it's just too drastic for me right now. So instead I'm trying to take better care of my hair and am cutting damage away over time.......... But I totally love your idea and kinda wish I was in your shoes! I'm jealous!!! Waiting for the pics!

Featherfire
07-23-2009, 03:10 PM
I did it! I went scissor happy after my man left for work. After getting things to a fun fuzzy length, I realized that it still felt gummy and gross, and was blonde! I'm a naturally medium-dark brunette, or at least was last time I saw my head, and this pinkish yellow fuzz wasn't cutting it! So, I got even more brave and grabbed the Gigi brand version of Nair that I snagged at Sally's and chilled out for a few minutes before tossing myself into the shower and coming out clean and shiney! (the Gigi lotion is the only thing I have ever tried that didn't burn me and actually removed hair!)
I thought I'd be scared or have regrets, and honestly, I feel awesome, like a new person. I've sworn to myself that I'm not doing any sort of chemical service on my hair indefinitely. No color changes or anything.
Since my shower, I've moisturized and can't stop staring in the mirror. I'm so glad that I did it. New hair, new start, new me!
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/TheCabbit/aa3f718b2490__1248346150000.jpg

Featherfire
07-23-2009, 03:12 PM
I'll post a new pic when my wig arrives! I can't wait! yay for full lace that will look and feel real! It was a little on the pricey side for me, though ebay made it much more affordable!

Moonlight Mistress
07-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Holy crap, that's awesome! I can't wait to see your wig.

MsDiana 08
07-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Last year, whil I was pregnant, I had some pregnant moment and on a whim went to the beauty supply store and got permanent hair straightener. (my hair is very naturally curly and was very long) SO anyways, being prego and on vitamins, the chemical had a bad reaction and FRIED my hair off. I should have just cut it all off but I didnt. A year later, my hair is still very damaged and I have to keep cutting it all the time and I wonder if I will ever have my naturally beautiful hair back. I wish I was gangsta enough to cut it all off, cuz that's what i need to do. If you hate it, at least you can go buy different wigs and have some fun with it.

Featherfire
07-23-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm actually going to spend this weekend getting used to the air on my head! ^_^ I have the house to myself until at least late Sunday, so I'll have plenty of time to adjust and probably go nuts with the camera or at least makeup and the mirror! I keep feeling it, to see if it's still the same, almost like i dreamed that I did it, but definitely proud of myself.

iDream
07-23-2009, 05:37 PM
First of all, you are so awesome for having such an upbeat and positive attitude!

Second, it looks fantastic!!! :)

Lastly, I wish I had the guts to do something like that! My hair is colored due to all the gray I have and sometimes I just wish I had never started coloring it in the first place. I do believe my hubby would have a heart attack if I shaved my head though. :lol:

Congrats on the new do and on the new you!!! :)

harrismm
07-23-2009, 06:27 PM
You gone all Britney Spears on us?LOL!

Onederchic
07-23-2009, 06:40 PM
I can't wait to see the wig photos.

Also, where can I get a natural looking wig for a good price?

Featherfire
07-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Honestly, the best prices I've found have been on Ebay. It depends on the type you want though. I got one with a full lace cap (still waiting on the mail, and have been trolling the usps tracking link) so I can have it on straight out weeks at a time if I so choose. Looks like it's my own hair growing from my scalp, and will let me still wash my head, workout, swim, and pull it back and style it normally. Others they have you can have the lace in the front for the forehead to ear line looking natural though pulling it into a pony would be tough, as it'd show on the underside. There are also those meant to be clipped or pinned into place over your own hair. If you're looking for human hair, I'd say hit ebay. If you don't mind synthetic (it's more fussy with heated styling tools), try Sally's Beauty Supply. Inexpensive and a good selection!

As for going Britney Spears, I almost shot water out my nose laughing because that's exactly how I told my closest friend (The only one I've told at home). I said I was pulling a Britney and getting rid of the mess on my head! ^^ I may definitely not have the issues that she has, but I can see now why she did it. It's liberating and really gives a feeling of a fresh start in life! I'm so looking forward to seeing it not only grow out, but the rest of me shrink! I may not have been seeing the numbers on my scale drop as fast as I'd wanted them to, but I know that I've always been well muscled and am seeing changes in my clothes that thrill me. My muffin top is almost gone!!! By the time my hair is back, I'll be a completely new person and I can't wait!

misspiggy408
07-23-2009, 07:20 PM
WOW , u go girl! What did your BF say? Does he like it too?

HungryHungryHippo
07-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Wow--you look aDORable!! Very GI Jane!

EveLHaelf
07-23-2009, 08:56 PM
You look cute! What a brave move! :hug:

ICUwishing
07-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Most awesome! You've got the beautiful face to pull it off - you look exotic and maybe just a little dangerous. Enjoy it, you brave woman!

KatieBell28
07-24-2009, 12:15 PM
First of all - Freaking fire your hair dresser.

Second of all - Please... please.. PLEASE draw a little face on your head and show us a picture :) Or write I <3 3FC!

It really looks awesome actually, I dont think you really need the wig. But.. as for wigs, more people wear them than you think and they look completely realistic.

The brand of hair removal cream you used is called just Gigi? Nair always makes me break out.

Kimmie1989
07-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I soooooo want to do this you have no idea!!! About a year ago I went crazy and after drenching my hair with hairspray, I began straightening it. I'm not sure what I was trying to do... I think I was just experimenting with ways of styling my hair. Anyway, the iron starting SMOKING..... like, smoke was literally coming out of it... and when I was done the whole room smelled like burnt hair. Before that incident I liked my hair a lot more, it was nice and smooth. But ever since then I've had a constant halo of broken hairs all around my head and I loooong for smooth hair! The thing is, I don't know when I would ever have the opportunity to do this. I'm thinking maybe I could do it once school starts up... like, I could get a wig then once I leave home and get into my apartment, I could shave it all off and start the new school year fresh. I think by the end of the first semester I would have a normal pixie like cut

Tomato
07-24-2009, 12:59 PM
You know what? You look so awesome that you don't any wig at all!

EveLHaelf
07-24-2009, 01:01 PM
You really do look awesome! :hug:

I just stood in front of the mirror, pulling my hair back out of view to try to imagine what I'd look like bald. ::shudders:: NOT a pretty sight! ;)

Featherfire
07-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm really liking how it looks without the wig as well, which was a pleasant surprise. I have to admit, I was expecting to see a human blob. I've always been insecure about my neckline, ye olde double chin. I even had one pre-gain. It's just how my jawline is, I guess. I got so used to hiding behind my hair that this is honestly a great feeling to look in the mirror and not actually hate what I'm seeing. I'm doing the scarf thing today and am expecting the wig to arrive tomorrow. It's been a colder rainy few days, so I'm enjoying the chance to lay low. My boyfriend has yet to see it, as he works so many hours on weekends, that I don't get to see him. Retail hours + tourist season = hardly any time together except for Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I've also decided to not tell my parents until it's grown out a bit, which could be months down the road. They are completely unsupportive of my choice to take control of a fresh start. It's a bit of their own worries for me and the obvious part of being from a different era where it was probably unheard of outside of medical reasons.
I'm very tempted to take a mini break from the sweat pant and tank top weekend that I'm having as I'm alone in the house and it's cold and rainy, to girl it up and take some pics before the wig arrives. And, of course pics once I have it too!
I noticed last night, I definitely felt my fan more! It was the first night in a long time that I didn't end up waking up overheating at some point or in pain from either my ponytail being pulled to one side from how I was sleeping, or digging into the back of my head during the rare moment I attempt to sleep on my back. I've got myself some built in air conditioning! I'm glad I chose to do this in July versus January, because I'd be frozen solid!

UrthWurm
07-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Righteous, woman! Rock on! ;)

carrieokie
07-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Hey, your hair (head?) looks HOT! I mean that as a compliment and not in a creepy way. Your boyfriend is going to flip in a good way.

Featherfire
07-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Updates! Yay! So, after enjoying several days of built in air conditioning on my head for the oppressively humid and hot week and having to find a new adhesive (the one I originally got refused to dry, therefore wouldn't hold at all) I've got hair! Having it super short was definitely growing on me, and my mother actually liked it after an initial freak out, but after getting a sunburned scalp, I figured I'd better be safe than sorry!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/TheCabbit/hair2.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/TheCabbit/hair.jpg

:trampo: And on a completely different note, I'm finally off my plateau! The numbers on the scale are dropping daily and for the first time in many months, I've been not having sleeping difficulties! Last night, I didn't even stay awake long enough to hit play on the xbox remote (instead of dvd player) after setting my tv sleep timer! ...fell asleep to the opening menu for Pride and Prejudice! :o