Old 07-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #1  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Question Can you UNDO two days of bad eating?

I ate badly over the weekend. Do you think if this week I ate below what I normally eat, calorie wise, that it would "undo" the bad eating I did for two days?
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #2  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Mug can you eat just slightly less and exercise slightly more? If you try and do it all by diet alone you might be setting yourself up for binge type rebellion if your calories are too low too many days in a row.

Either way I'd say just let it go. Pretend it didn't happen I wouldn't even eat less if it were me. I'd just move a bit more...
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #3  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

If I were you I'd just keep going the way you were prior to the weekend. If you really want to, exercise more. But I wouldn't go cutting calories all week. Next weekend might not be any better, and that's a bad cycle to start.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #4  

I probably wouldn't cut back on calories too much this week. I'd try to make up for it with exercise and stay on the normal plan.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well once you've eaten something, you can't UNeat it. What you CAN do is get yourself right back firmly on track. Time will pass, rather quickly and the past weekend will be a distant memory. Don't *punish* yourself or try to *make up for it*. Don't make yourself crazy and try to restrict yourself as that can set you up for a binge.

Nothing is ruined or shot or blown. What's done is done. Move on.
Get back to your regular healthy eating plan. This is just a small sidestep during the course of a loooong journey.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #6  
no more hiding

S/C/G: 296/215/160

Height: 5' 5"

I'll agree with don't cut back. It is hard enough to get back on track without restricting yourself further. Don't set yourself up to fail. A little extra exercise might make you feel better about things, but I wouldn't make myself crazy over 2 days.
2behealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #7  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Yup, my thoughts too but I thought I'd add them anyway. If you try to uneat, you could end up overeating instead. Would you like to see my T-shirt? lol

Don't beat yourself up, being human happens!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #8  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

I agree with just starting as you were. I've tried to "make up" a bad day with eating less/exercise more and that would cause me only to binge again. Just starting again with my normal plan works much better.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #9  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I was thinking the very same thing this morning, Mug! I indulged a bit too much at a couple events this weekend and got on the scale this morning to see a 4lb weight gain.

I decided to just chalk it up to a lesson learned and will make sure I don't go over my daily points AT ALL this week and exercise extra hard, but I won't 'make up for it' by undereating.

Let's just get up, dust ourselves off and look forward, not back!
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

When I suffered from really disordered eating (atypical bulimia) I had to "make up" calorie for calorie, e.g. if I overate by 2650 calories that was 2650 calories I had to cut down by or use up by excercise ASAP.

I now just say: If I have eaten poorly for two days I do not allow myself to step onto the scale (would be too upsetting) until I had two really good days. These do not necessarily need to be two days in a row.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

When I eat badly I try to make up for it by filling up on veggies more than normal that week. That way I consume fewer calories but stay full. (of course don't go ALL veggie, protien is important!)
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #12  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

My problem is that if I try to eat really low calorie wise to combat a bad "day" or bad "meal" then I end up REALLY really hungry and that is a whole nother ball game. So I think making wise choices, lots of water, eating a *bit* below and up your exercise a tad should minimize the damage.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #13  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
When I eat badly I try to make up for it by filling up on veggies more than normal that week. That way I consume fewer calories but stay full. (of course don't go ALL veggie, protien is important!)
I agree with this.

but just as a side note, I've recently stopped eating meat which I posted about and I track on spark and I have gotten all the protein I needed every day for the last week or so.

just sayin'

but...back on track. don't beat yourself up over a slip up just get back on the horse and carry on.

but wouldn't it be nice to uneat? :P
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #14  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Accept it, own the consequences, and start over again. You could cut back this week to mitigate the damage, so to speak, but last time I checked, this wasn't a race. So getting back on track and following your plan might be the most sensible option. Because that would, in my mind, reinforce the concepts that:
1. No one is perfect.
2. Slip ups will happen.
3. You can get back on plan without "punishing yourself".
and
4. This is a lifestyle, not a diet.

Let us know how it goes!

JMHO

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-20-2009 at 09:48 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #15  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

I've tried this. I dropped to about 1100 for two days after a weekend of excess, and it worked, BUT, I was starving the second day and the day after I stopped. (blog posts below)

http://idratherbesittingonthecouch.b...oat-train.html
http://idratherbesittingonthecouch.b...18-1076kg.html

I don't think it's necessarily a terrible idea, but for some people I can see it being a trigger to binge, either from the perceived deprivation or the physical hunger if you dip into starvation mode. However, this is how calorie cycling is proposed to work, with a high day is followed by an ultra-low day. I say, give it a try - if it works it will give you back a sense of control. But, learn from my mistakes, and don't do it for more than one day, and don't drop under 1200 calories. Don't aim to "undo" the damage of the weekend by decreasing your calories by the number of extra calories you ate, but instead see this as using the opportunity you created by increasing your metabolism by over the weekend by following it with an extra low day to kickstart you weightloss again. And if you react badly, don't try it again!

Atoning afterwards does work better for me than attempting to save up calories before hand. Also, my calorie allowance for the weekend is 700calories higher than weekdays, which makes it harder for me to completely destroy my diet with a bad day on the weekend.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote