General chatter - The Next Food Network Star

View Full Version : The Next Food Network Star

SunshineCA
07-19-2009, 10:20 PM
It's down to the final 4! Who's going to be our next Food Network star? Who are you rooting for? Who do you think is going home tonight?

Jamika: http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2009/02/20/nfns5_jamika_s3x4_al.jpg

Melissa: http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2009/02/20/nfns5_melissa_s3x4_al.jpg

Jeffrey: http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2009/02/20/nfns5_jeffrey_s3x4_al.jpg

Debbie: http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2009/02/20/nfns5_debbie_s3x4_al.jpg

I think Debbie's going to be the Next Food Network Star. :) I believe Jamika or Jeffrey will be going home tonight.

Onederchic
07-19-2009, 10:21 PM
I want Melissa to win.

SunshineCA
07-19-2009, 10:23 PM
She'd be my second choice. She's definitely going to stay to the end.

Onederchic
07-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Well, I don't like Debbie because she has lied on there more than once.

SunshineCA
07-19-2009, 10:58 PM
I have a feeling they're going to go with her or Melissa. I'm looking at what we don't have on the Network yet. There's a market for an Asian-American host or a Non-Chef Super Mom. I like Jeffery as eye candy but he's kind of boring.

SunshineCA
07-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Well, down to the final 3!

Melissa:http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2009/02/20/nfns5_melissa_s3x4_al.jpg

Jeffrey:http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2009/02/20/nfns5_jeffrey_s3x4_al.jpg

Debbie:http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2009/02/20/nfns5_debbie_s3x4_al.jpg

Who will be the Next Food Network Star?

Sweetcaroline
07-20-2009, 12:26 AM
I love this show... I wish they would re-run all of the old seasons instead all the repeats of Ace of Cakes and Disney Cake Challenges.
I think they made the right choice sending Jamika home tonight. Melissa is growing on me... I don't mind Jeffrey. Debbie is off my radar due to the lying so badly that she's been called out twice... she just looks moody all the time now... I think Melissa is going to win... they love her growing confindence and cookin hints she gives... Next week should be good..

SunshineCA
07-20-2009, 12:37 AM
:lol: I agree with the re-runs. Ace of Cakes was okay but I've seen enough. :lol:

Jamika should have gone home a long time ago. I've been waiting for her Caribbean flavor from the beginning but she just never brought it to the table, nor to the pots and pans. ;)

The next few weeks should bring lots of interesting things. We'll probably see more surprise guests as well as some of the past contestants from this and other seasons.

anuh
07-20-2009, 05:36 AM
i want melissa to win .. she has alot of good ideas and not boring to watch..although she needs to cut down on the caffeine

Onederchic
07-20-2009, 10:27 AM
i want melissa to win .. she has alot of good ideas and not boring to watch..although she needs to cut down on the caffeine

Exactly :D :rofl:

SunshineCA
07-20-2009, 01:49 PM

:lol: My cousin always says the same thing!! :lol:

Hun.e.B
07-20-2009, 10:39 PM
I really like Melissa's food approach, I dunno that I love her though. Jeffrey is good at this but I have no idea what his point is so he's off my radar, and like everyone else said Debbie just isnt honest, she lies first then makes herself look like an idiot talking around it.

SunshineCA
07-20-2009, 10:43 PM
I really like Melissa's food approach, I dunno that I love her though. Jeffrey is good at this but I have no idea what his point is so he's off my radar, and like everyone else said Debbie just isnt honest, she lies first then makes herself look like an idiot talking around it.

So who are you going to go with? Maybe I should enter for the next season so you guys can root for me. ;) They're accepting new contestants online for anyone else who may want to enter. ;)

Sweetcaroline
07-26-2009, 09:18 PM
bump...

Clydegirl
07-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Is tonight the last show of the season?

It's only one hour. I was thinking they would do a 2 hour finale.

I like Melissa for the win. She could be interesting in her own show from a stay at home mum's point of view.

Sweetcaroline
07-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Its on now, there are three left... I think the final will be next week... gotta love Melissa... and Julia Child !!!!!!!!!

SunshineCA
07-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Caroline: Thanks for bumping this! ;) I was looking everywhere for it. :lol:

CydeGirl: Tonight is not the last show. We're down to the last 3 finalists. (See above for pics.)

I'm watching it right now so I won't give any spoilers to those who haven't tuned it yet. Be sure to watch! :)

SunshineCA
07-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Its on now, there are three left... I think the final will be next week... gotta love Melissa... and Julia Child !!!!!!!!!

As stated above, I think it's going to be down to Melissa and Debbie.

Yes, we loved Julia Child! :) I can't wait to see the movie. :)

SunshineCA
07-26-2009, 10:35 PM
I recognize everyone at the chef's table except the guy on the end. I think his name was Manuel or Samuel something. Have any of you seen him before?

SunshineCA
07-26-2009, 10:41 PM
I would SO pass out if I had to cook for ANY of the Food Network celebs!! :faint:

Sweetcaroline
07-26-2009, 10:44 PM
and do a rissoto ???? OMG...
Haven't they seen ****'s Kitchen LOL...

SunshineCA
07-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Or ratatouille?????? Oh my God no!! :rolleyes:

SunshineCA
07-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Wow!!!! :eek:

Sweetcaroline
07-26-2009, 11:15 PM
wow... I have an opinion about this, but I'm going to wait till it airs PT to post my thoughts... I'll be back...:D

SunshineCA
07-26-2009, 11:22 PM
wow... I have an opinion about this, but I'm going to wait till it airs PT to post my thoughts... I'll be back...:D

Go for it! I've seen it. I was about to post pics of the final 2.

SunshineCA
07-26-2009, 11:29 PM
We're down to the wire. Only 2 contestants to go! Some of the former contestants are already making appearances. The celebrity chef's table is packed with all the who's who in the biz. :) Emeril is our man of the hour. My Mom just received his pots as a gift and is walking on Cloud 9! :cloud9: But I digress. Who will be the next Food Network star???

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2009/02/20/nfns5_melissa_s3x4_al.jpg

OR

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2009/02/20/nfns5_jeffrey_s3x4_al.jpg

Sweetcaroline
07-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I can't help feeling like they booted Debbie because of her weight...
I know, I know... tis not the network for skinny mini's... seems there are people of all sizes and shapes.. but the choice still leaves me skeptical...
I'm not a whiner nor a believer that overweight people get unfair treatment in all aspects because I'm proof that its not true, but in this case I think Debbie's weight hurt her...

SunshineCA
07-26-2009, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if you're correct. It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened.

I'm in total shock that she was sent home. I know that many believe it's because she lied a few times. Even with that, she was a much better chef than Jeffrey. He's a cutie but I'd much rather watch her.

I'm bored already. :lol: Next week will determine whether or not I'll tune in to either of their shows. Although I have a feeling Melissa will reign supreme.

Clydegirl
07-27-2009, 01:10 AM
I hope Melissa wins next week.

I had a huge lump in my throat when she was talking about her mum. I just think she does better cooking than Jeffrey. I find him really bland.

SunshineCA
07-27-2009, 04:06 AM
I hope Melissa wins next week.

I had a huge lump in my throat when she was talking about her mum. I just think she does better cooking than Jeffrey. I find him really bland.

He's very bland. A bland cutie. :lol: But no competition for Melissa. The Food Network would have had more viewers tuning in if the final two were Melissa and Debbie. I'm really not as excited this season as I was last time.

Sweetcaroline
07-27-2009, 07:53 PM
oh.. Clydegirl I know what you mean, at first I thought it was going to bring the room down, but she followed it with such positivity... I think she's a star !
I'll predict here that she'll be another Rachel Ray... once she gets going..

Next Iron Chef is coming in October, i like that too... I'm just bit crushy on Michael Symon... that was a good competition last time...

Haven't seen much of Paula Deen, she drives me absolutely crazy but she's been mia lately..

OK, i'll put the brakes on... its a food network star thread... LOL

SunshineCA
07-28-2009, 03:15 AM
No problem discussing Food Network stuff here. I'm a FN junkie and a total foodie. ;) Besides, we only have like another week before the hype is over anyway. :)

Another Rachel Ray? I don't see that at all. There's only 1 Rachel Ray. :)

I'm not feeling Melissa enough to tune in every week. I think the next challenge will let us know if she has what it takes to hold an audience. I have no doubt she'll be the winner as there's not much competition with Jeffrey.

Lissus
07-28-2009, 04:00 AM
I hope Melissa wins. There's just something about Jeffrey that I HATE HATE HATE, but I cant put my finger on it.

Honestly.. I LOVED Debbie. Even though she backpeddled trying to save face when being caught in the "lies", I feel for her. It's got to be a stressful scenario, and I can't say that I wouldn't have been a bit flustered and tried to talk my way out of things myself (I get ALL types of nervous when authority figures criticise me too)

Was sorry to see her go, I loved her personality and energy. Melissa is great.. but switch to decaf already :P

(though again.. could be a matter of nerves.. so maybe she'll slow down when/if it becomes routine for her)

SunshineCA
07-28-2009, 04:11 AM
Yep! Debbie rocked! It would have been awesome to see the ladies throwdown for the prize! :) Who knows? Maybe Debbie will get a show of her own after all, like Adam did from the last season. :)

SunshineCA
07-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Just voted on who I would've eliminated on the Food Network website. The poll results said that 70% of fans voted for Debbie to be eliminated, 18% Jeffrey and 11% Melissa. Interesting...:chin:

Onederchic
07-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Yay!! The liar is gone!! :cheer2: :rofl:

Sweetcaroline
07-28-2009, 08:52 PM
****'s Kitchen...:devil: is on at 8pm... I love that one too, though I haven't seen it in a few seasons... It's followed by More to Love ? I'm going to watch that once and see what happens...

Now that I've turned this into a TV thread...I'm going to make popcorn :lol:

SunshineCA
07-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Yay!! The liar is gone!! :cheer2: :rofl:

:lol:

Now wouldn't it be funny if Melissa is a liar too? Or maybe they all are? :lol:

SunshineCA
07-28-2009, 10:08 PM
****'s Kitchen...:devil: is on at 8pm... I love that one too, though I haven't seen it in a few seasons... It's followed by More to Love ? I'm going to watch that once and see what happens...

Now that I've turned this into a TV thread...I'm going to make popcorn :lol:

I'm not sure if I'm going to watch More to Love. If I remember, I'll tune in. Either that or log-on here to get the scoop. ;)

Sweetcaroline
07-28-2009, 10:24 PM
****'s Kitchen was too loud and obnoxious for me... its more of a race thing now... one kid picked a fight with Chef w/in two mins and was sent home.. way too much drama...I won't watch again..

SunshineCA
07-29-2009, 04:12 AM
I caught the last few minutes of ****'s Kitchen as background noise while I was finishing up my packing. It seemed to be totally chaotic. Way too much for me.

Onederchic
07-29-2009, 09:25 AM

Now wouldn't it be funny if Melissa is a liar too? Or maybe they all are? :lol:

Nooo! I want Melissa to win :D

willa
07-29-2009, 02:03 PM
I have read in my last Food Network magazine that Debbie opened a restaurant.
Something about Hot Dogs. She has a website under construction hotdogdebbies . com

Onederchic
07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Gosh! Debbie is a hot dog :| :p :rofl:

anuh
07-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Gosh! Debbie is a hot dog :| :p :rofl:rofl

mygritsconfessions
07-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Debbie opened a restaurant? Seriously? No way. If she did then she didn't win..........lol............hot dogs? Ugh.

Onederchic
07-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Hehe :D

Hey, but she is Korean and all Koreans eat hot dogs..yes? :p

(I only say this because she used being Korean numerous times throughout her time on the show as validation for why she was cooking certain things and in no way do I mean any disresect to Koreans..only to Debbie :rofl: )

walking2lose
07-29-2009, 05:05 PM
I love the show but missed a few episodes this season - can someone fill me in on Debbie's lying? What were the lies about... wish I hadn't missed that.

Thanks! Great thread...

Onederchic
07-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Let's see

First she lied about how much she had spent at the grocery store, first episode I believe.

Secondly, she lied about doing all the work in the kitchen when she really had just focused on herself and not helping anyone else.

Thirdly, she lied about using the capers that Bobby told her to add to her meal. She tried first saying she used them when she didn't then she said she wasn't given capers to use then she said she just forgot about them.

SunshineCA
07-30-2009, 04:18 AM
So who's going to try for the next season? This season bored me to no end! To be honest, none of the contestants stood out. None of them really cut the mustard of being the next Food Network Star. I'm a Food Network Junkie! I even have certain shows programmed. None of them would have made me tune in every week.

Onederchic
07-30-2009, 10:16 AM
I will try for the next season and show them how to make oats, chicken and salad that will shake up your tastebuds :rofl:

midwife
07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
I will try for the next season and show them how to make oats, chicken and salad that will shake up your tastebuds :rofl:

And I would watch that show! Especially if you throw some :broc: in!

Onederchic
07-30-2009, 10:32 AM
LOL! Of course :D

Onederchic
08-03-2009, 12:19 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOO! MY girl, Melissa, won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2: :carrot: :cb: :D:D:D

mandalinn82
08-03-2009, 12:23 AM
I have actually considered applying more than once...they haven't had a good low-calorie chef on there for so long! The issue is, the format of the show doesn't really lend itself to cooking particular styles...they'd all be giving me sticks of butter in mystery ingredient baskets and etc.

nmgal
08-03-2009, 12:37 AM
I actually didn't like Melissa throughout the competition, but the pilot they showed for her show has me excited. She may come up with stuff that I can actually use in my kitchen. Good luck to her, anyway. I hope she is pleased with whatever happens at the end of her six week run.

Pita09
08-03-2009, 11:10 AM
I jumped for joy when Melissa won. I've liked her from the beginning, and I feel she will do a show that will be fun to watch and will also give me some really useful tips.

Onederchic
08-03-2009, 11:16 AM
I jumped for joy when Melissa won. I've liked her from the beginning, and I feel she will do a show that will be fun to watch and will also give me some really useful tips.

Agreed!! :D

Onederchic
08-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Melissa's show info

http://www.foodnetwork.com/ten-dollar-dinners-with-melissa-darabian/index.html

Pita09
08-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I will be setting my DVR.:hun:

MindiV
08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I liked Melissa a lot! She's a bit hyper for me, but I'd watch her over Jeffrey any day. Something about him...I just didn't like it. He was "too" polished and fake-feeling to me....don't know what it was. But I'll watch Melissa for sure and see if the things I liked about her in the competition carry over to the show!

patchworkpenguin
08-05-2009, 03:47 PM
I feel there are a lot of shows on FN that showcase gourmet or exotic ingredients. What I really want is a show that will show me how to feel my family. I like watching Iron Chef but don't have a great desire to eat the food or try and make it myself.

I'm not against trying new things, once in a while, but buying one {sometimes expensive ingredient, found only at a specialty store} that I don't know what tastes like or if I will ever use again, isn't going to happen often.

I like Melissa, I can relate to her, and I will tune into her show. Some of the other contestants, while good at what the do and having a fresh perspecitve on food, were making the same foods that I've seen again and again on FN.

I really liked Melissa's Four Step Chicken. This is the kind of meal planning I like, recipes that I can put any kind of meat, veg or cheese and come up with something good. I have a Frittata recipe I make when I have a bunch of leftovers and need to clean out the fridge.

Chic, Thanks for the link!

Onederchic
08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
You are so welcome! I am excited to see the show :D

patchworkpenguin
08-05-2009, 04:00 PM
ACK!!!!

I just realized her show is on in the afternoon! We never watch TV in the afternoon. I'm not even sure we'll be home from church at 12:30!

Grrr!

Onederchic
08-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Oh no :( Do you have DVR so you can set shows to record?

Pita09
08-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm not against trying new things, once in a while, but buying one {sometimes expensive ingredient, found only at a specialty store} that I don't know what tastes like or if I will ever use again, isn't going to happen often.

This is exactly what I said about the concept of Jeffery's show. I also love watching the Iron Chef but I've never once thought to actually make those dishes. While there is a possibility I would have bought an ingredient Jeffery used, the likelihood isn't as good as what I probably will get from Melissa's show.

You need to tape her show, or look to see if it might be repeated at another time. The Food Network does a lot of repeating at later times.

patchworkpenguin
08-06-2009, 12:57 PM
I do have a hand-me -down' DVDR but I haven't had a lot of luck with it.

I'd rather find the show later, that's a good idea, Pita

MindiV
08-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm with y'all...I like things that I could possibly make. That's why I liked Sandra Lee's semi-homemade show (is it even still on?)...they weren't all gourmet meals, but I could see myself making them (and DID on more than one occasion)...

Not sure about the "$10 Dinners" concept, though...how far CAN she go with that? It'll be interesting to see. I can't even make generic spaghetti for less than $10 around here...

patchworkpenguin
08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Sandra's show is still on, in the morning and afternoon same show though

Was it Family Circle mag that did {or still does} recipes and gave you the breakdown of how much it was to make per serving? Their servings IIRC were about $2 each.

time2lose
08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Mandalinn82,

Please apply. They really need a show on healthy cooking, but this season's healthy cooking person just was not right for it.

I would love to see you on Food Network!

patchworkpenguin
08-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Okay, I tried to look up Melissa's show to see if it was going to be shown again on Sun but the schedule only runs from Sun -Sat.

Even worse I'm in Central time which means the show airs at 11:30, but I'm sure they will show it again as Pita suggested

mandalinn82
08-06-2009, 07:06 PM
You know, I've really thought about it. But that show isn't the right venue (just as it wasn't the right venue for the healthy girl this time) to find a new healthy show. The nature of the challenges is such that you can't work in your "unique perspective"...can you imagine the low-cal chef pitching on Paula Dean Deep Fry Theme Week?? The winners have all been fairly generic in cuisine (not concept, maybe, but cuisine)...just because the challenge doesn't allow for anything else.

It'd have to be a separate pitch, regrettably. Unless the FN folks decide they need a calorie-conscious show, and then design challenges around that, no healthy/calorie conscious contestant has a chance of winning.

JulieJ08
08-06-2009, 07:16 PM
It'd have to be a separate pitch, regrettably. Unless the FN folks decide they need a calorie-conscious show, and then design challenges around that, no healthy/calorie conscious contestant has a chance of winning.

Sounds good to me! I personally think that would go over well.

Onederchic
08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
So, I watched Melissa's show today and I happen to have found it entertaining and her ideas were simple and practical :D

Sweetcaroline
08-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Haven't seen it yet... I'll check the times...

Onederchic
08-09-2009, 10:48 PM
It aired here today at 12:30pm EST.

Clydegirl
08-10-2009, 01:57 AM
I recorded the show haven't watched it yet.

Lissus
08-10-2009, 02:26 AM
I'm with y'all...I like things that I could possibly make. That's why I liked Sandra Lee's semi-homemade show (is it even still on?)...they weren't all gourmet meals, but I could see myself making them (and DID on more than one occasion)...

Yep, still on, and one of my favorite shows

mandalinn82
08-10-2009, 02:42 AM
I feel like Melissa is like Sandra Lee, but with more whole ingredients, which makes her a GREAT one for me. I could never get behind the Sandra Lee processed foods being 70% of the meal, personally, but love that food can be quick, easy, AND tasty.

Pita09
08-10-2009, 08:20 AM
I watched Melissa's new show and thought she did really well. She was obviously nervous, but that will quickly pass once she gains more confidence in what she is doing.

I liked the food she prepared. I of course won't be eating that potato tort while losing weight. :D The applesauce granita was genius and I will give that a try. I loved the tip about keeping bacon in the freezer. Sometimes I would like a little real bacon, but I don't buy it because I don't want to have to cook it all up before it goes bad. I had to laugh when she gave her secret ingredient for the balsamic vinaigrette. I found that exact same recipe she used ages ago on some Google food site and it's my favorite vinaigrette to make for my green salads.

time2lose
08-10-2009, 10:44 AM
I set my DVR to record Melissa's new show but it did not record. I think that was because my guide said "NFNS new show" when I set the recording and the title of the show probably was inserted later.

Anyway, I hated that I missed it. Does anyone know if it will be shown again later and when?

time2lose
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Another thought, how do all those people on the Food Network eat those recipes and stay as small as they do?

JulieJ08
08-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Portion size.

SunshineCA
08-11-2009, 04:17 AM
I haven't seen Melissa's show yet. I'll tune in the next time and see how she does. Good luck to her.

On to the new season...

:)

SunshineCA
08-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Interested in being a contestant for Season 6? You may apply online or by mail. You may also attend an open casting call (see below for the remaining dates/times).

San Diego
Date: Monday, August 17, 2009
Time: 12pm - 5pm
421 W. B Street
San Diego, CA 92101

Atlanta
Date: Monday, August 24, 2009
Time: 10am - 4pm
188 14th St. NE
Atlanta, GA

Clydegirl
08-25-2009, 12:44 AM
I have watched the 3 shows so far.

I thought her chicken a l'orange looked really good. I might give that one a try.

The moroccan meatballs which she made last week I would make for a potluck.

Anyone else watching?

SunshineCA
08-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Haven't seen an episode yet.