Old 07-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Motivation?

So, I started chipping away at this weight issue almost a month ago on the heels of some very good news.

I recently reached a level of professional success that I had always dreamed of, and realized that, as in the past, my embarrassment about my weight was going to take a big chunk out of my ability to enjoy the success.

So, that is where my motivation came from. And so far, it hasn't been hard. I feel like I have no choice-- like I HAVE to succeed this time and I refuse to let anything derail me now that I'm so close to achieving a lifelong dream.

But, it also scares me. Because I have a lifetime of failed attempts at weight loss behind me, and I know that usually I go along thinking "this is easy" until I fall off track, and the next thing you know I'm back to my three donuts with my coffee habits.

So far, I haven't had any significant cravings-- no hard stressful days, no anxiety, no disappointment to distract me.

But what can I do to arm myself for those days, which will surely come?
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #2  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

When I was getting to the days I was not motivated I pulled the "commitment" card. This is something I have committed to and it just had to be done kind of self talk helped It's just like I'm a mom and I'm committed to being a mom for the rest of my life...same thing!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Well, I can only speak from my own experiences - as a 20 year yo yo dieter who had a big click in 2004.

I am not motivated every day - I have habits that are pretty entrenched at this point. I go to the store, I make lunches, I estimate my daily calories (I carefully counted during maintenance, but I'm more casual now, since I have successful routines) I use my measuring spoons - that is just what I DO. The same as brushing my teeth every night before bed or getting gas for the car before I run out.

I also get to live with the rewards of my hard work - a trim, healthy body, lovely clothes, enjoying looking at myself in photos, a towel that wraps around me every morning.

Since I'm in this for the rest of my life, I just can't expect motivation to stick around. I made some promises to myself and I am just DOING IT - every day. This is my life, this is how I choose to live it.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
- as a 20 year yo yo dieter who had a big click in 2004.
OMG Glory, you do NOT want to know what I read that as when I first read it! LOL! Blurry morning eyes...

Anyway I agree with Glory.

And for me I am so unmotivated most days it isn't funny. I just force myself to do it anyway, like brushing my teeth or doing laundry. When I have to clean the bathroom I am not exactly "motivated" but since I don't want a stinky grimy toilet, I just do it.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #5  

Thanks, guys. Lyn2007... I read the it that way first too, LOL.

I'm intrigued by the concept of "the big click." There was another area of my life where I had a big click. At the age of forty I decided that I wanted to pursue a lifelong dream. I had had numerous false starts before that, and then one day, I just sat down and did it!

So, I do believe that it is possible to make significant life changes.

At the same time, I yo-yo dieted and binged starting from my early teens. Stopped dieting in my twenties, and since I had my first child 18 years ago, I've been morbidly obese. My usual "diet" lasts three weeks. I don't think I've ever lost more than ten or so pounds on purpose.

But I still believe that "the big click" is possible.

I'm going to pull out that commitment card and look at it EVERY DAY.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #6  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

My big click was in 2008. Seriously, motivation doesn't matter...commitment does. In so far as being scared you'll fail, whatever you send out into the universe is what you get back. Cancel those negative thoughts and replace them with positive thoughts, so you get back success and positivity. Anytime you feel afraid, just think CANCEL then instead picture yourself happy, healthy and slender. That's all there is to it...I've lost 120 lbs doing it this way, so far.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Oh you guys are hilarious
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

I have not had awesome success or lost all the weight so I am reluctant to jump in here. I just wanted to suggest that life happens and you might have a day or week when you do not have the motivation or you might go off plan for a meal or a day. It is important to get right back to your plan. Do not let on bump in the road through you off track. Also think about in the past when you succeeded was it new and exciting? Maybe you can to plan to change it up every so often with new exercises and new dishes. Did you stop before because you were so restrictive that you felt deprived? If this is a life style change you will need to think about new ways to reward yourself and deal with stress and in my case new ways to deal with boredom and entertainment. I have seen some great suggestions on tackling these common stumbling blocks on this site in the past. It might be helpful to think of how you will approach those situations now before they come up. If I had more time I would give you a link but I got to get back to work. Anyway good luck. I hope you find support and helpful advice here.

A.W.
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I agree. It isn't the size of the click that matters. It's what you do with it.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #10  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

UberGirl,

I had my big click last August when everything seemed to head down hill fast. I decided that it was TIME 2 LOSE this weight, hence my username.

Anyway, I am another one who is voting for commitment over motivation. Motivation wanes while commitment stands strong. Another attribute that goes hand in hand with commitment is determination. I am determined to get this weight off. That is why I have a rather mad looking chick in my weight tracker. When I feel that commitment and determination getting weak, I check in here at 3FCs, read a few posts and look at my tracker. It really helps!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Make a list of 10 reasons why you want/need to lose weight. Put it where you will see is every day! I also like to post my progress and short term goals on my bathroom mirror. I don't look at my long term goal often. It's too far away and stresses me out.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #12  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

yah the motivation thing wanes, I'm all for the commitment too. I pretend I'm doing it for someone ELSE lol sounds stupid, but if I promised someone at work XYZ would be done - it gets DONE no matter how I feel about it. Same with my friends, if I SAY I'm going to do something, they can count on me 100%. Sooooo I thought if i can do it for them, i can surely do it for ME
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #13  

All good points and I hear everything saying that they go for commitment over motivation. I had not thought about it that way, but it does help.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #14  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I love this thread!
Since we're talking clicks - I heard mine in November 2007. I've been obese nearly all of my adult life. My weight-loss numbers aren't uber impressive, but things have changed so much for me! I just turned 38 and I can honestly say that I haven't felt better over the past 15 years than right now. Enthusiasm and motivation come and go. It's all about making new habits. I'm not perfect, but I know without a doubt that by creating the right habits, both mentally (not allowing negative self talk, for example) and physically, has helped me on this journey. It doesn't really matter how long it takes me to get to my goal weight. These plans and habits will help me through the valleys and plateaus.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #15  

Height: 6-1.5

I, on the other hand feel there is a difference between motivation, commitment, and Habit. Habit is a set routeen you learn your way into. Habits are learned by repitition, and can be unlearned by repitition. Habit is a result of commitment, so commitment is only a step in developing a healthy habit. Reaching for an apple and water for breakfast, rather than coffee and doughnuts can be learned, however there is the additional probem of chemical addiction with the caffine, and the highly processed sugar and flour.

Last edited by giselley; 07-19-2009 at 12:32 PM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote