PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #1  
Inspired

S/C/G: 275 / 208 / 135

Height: 5'5"

Default Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Yes, I have it and I believe it is making my life so much worse. I was wondering if anyone had any at home tips for what they are eating. I am taking Yaz to control some aspects of it but it doesn't seem to be enough and I'd like to remain medicine free if at all possible (besides yaz of course). I heard that a structured diet and exercise was best.
Minya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

For me, with pcos, I have found I need to stick to a high protein, high veg, low processed carbs diet. Lots of whole foods & very few processed stuff. I also find I need a higher level of exercise than most people to actually lose weight.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Ditto to that, with the added caveat that sometimes even that won't resolve symptoms. I changed my entire life/diet/exercise routine, lost a bunch of weight, and after a year of maintenance, the symptoms all came back...bigtime bummer. I'm on Yaz too, and I believe it has something to do with my current issues maintaining right at my goal.

It can be tricky! And you definitely have to experiment to find the right plan that works for you.

I also find that mostly whole foods, severe sugar limits, and lots and lots (and lots) of exercise, both cardio and strength, are important for me to drop weight.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #4  
Inspired

Oh dear, I'm having a hard time with giving up my cereal, I can give up just about everything else...but my cereal, eek! I'll bet by doinng so, it will make a difference for me. Lifeguard do you still eat cereal?

I'm surprised even during maintenance Manda, that your symptoms came back. My doctor told me they should be almost non-existant if I lose all the weight.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/246.4/190

Height: 5'10''

I'm on Metformin to help with my PCOS. I lost weight before (76 lbs) by doing Weight Watchers and eating a very balanced diet.
StellaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I'm surprised even during maintenance Manda, that your symptoms came back. My doctor told me they should be almost non-existant if I lose all the weight.
A lot of doctors say this. But there are thin people with PCOS, too (though they aren't in the majority, because PCOS does contribute to weight gain and make it harder to lose), which doesn't jive with the idea that losing the weight will make you non-symptomatic.

It may be true for most people that weight loss will reduce or eliminate symptoms, but for me it was a very temporary fix...they did come back.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #7  
Inspired

Well here's to hoping that my extra fur symptoms go away! XD
Old 07-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #8  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Yeah, my GP told me that all my symptoms would vanish with weightloss. I lost 80 lbs. one year (still 40 from my goal that I never reached) and the symptoms didn't even lessen. My endocrinologist was the one that told me that PCOS is really individualized and that some people see symptoms disappear and some don't. Even on metformin they vary in how asymptomatic they do become.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #9  
~jus' being me~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minya View Post
My doctor told me they should be almost non-existant if I lose all the weight.
Mine also did not go away with being at my goal weight. Worst thing I did though was let that affect me into giving up and regaining more than I am comfortable with.

I have found it very helpful to connect with other women here who are going through the same thing and understand and I am feeling like I am being much more realistic in what to expect of my body

You can definitely lose weight with PCOS. And there are gals here who show you can also keep it off. We may need to be more diligent and it may take longer, but its possible

Oh I meant to add - my insulin resistance did go away - I did have normal blood test results - but I had worse TOM issues than when I was obese. I am hoping with regular exercise, some alternative therapies (acupncture & chinese herbs), some western meds and doing my best on the food front that things will settle down again.

Last edited by Madison; 07-18-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Minya - I'm not a big cereal eater anyway but I try to keep my starches to whole grain & primarily eat them immediately after a workout.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 140/ 130.0/ 110

Height: 5'0

Hi everyone! I'm kind of new to this forum, joined back in 2005 I think, just lurked around for a while and didn't come back until now. I was diagnosed with PCOS 6 years ago and have learned quite a bit about PCOS and my body since then.

I've lost weight through diet only (60lbs) and had NONE of my symptoms dissapear. I've also lost weight through diet and daily exercise and, while working out frequently, had my symptoms completely go away. The only time in my life when I've had regular periods was when working out. My hirsutism also went from having an actual beard and mustache to very mild (I didn't even had to pluck). So, yes, every body is different and I haven't worked out constantly for long periods of time (1 year +) so I can't really tell you if after a while of continously working out my symptoms would come back. However I've been back on the exercise wagon for 3 months already and I'm convinced that this is the key for my body to go back to "normal". I seriously hope that exercise + losing the extra weight will be a long term solution for me.

Also, I've had doctors tell me all sorts of things regarding my PCOS. One gynecologist told me I could forget about ever being pregnant. The other gyno told me the only way of controlling my symptoms was by taking the pill. Finally my endo told me exercise and diet could lead me to a very normal life. He also put me on metphormin but my body couldn't take it. He told me women with PCOS can actually have children, it just might take longer if they don't have their weight under control. These experiences also lead me to believe an endocrinologist has a better understanding of PCOS than gynecologists and I'm sticking to following my endo's advice from now on.

Last edited by Csiga; 07-19-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Csiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #12  
FatPant Striver

S/C/G: 284/284/274

Height: 5'8

Lightbulb

Hey everyone! I'm new to the board. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, and that helped me realize alot of things. My symptoms have gotten worse the past few months, and I'm about to start highschool. I want to have a new start! I know this will not be easy, but I am ready to take control. But... I need help.

For those of you that have lost weight, how did you do it? What special measures did you have to take? I'm so glad to have people I can relate to. [:
MontanaAshli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #13  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I try to stay away from bread, pasta, rice, etc. as much as possible. Otherwise, I eat regular stuff - chicken, fish, veggies, eggs, cheese, fruit, nuts...

I don't have trouble losing weight with PCOS, in fact it's coming off rather fast without being hungry. It's not a given that it will be hard, especially if you try to keep your sugars/carbohydrates to a minimum.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 AM   #14  
~jus' being me~

CC I am trying to remember that about myself so your post is a timely reminder!

I HAVE lost weight with PCOS, so why the bloody **** do I keep having moments when I "forget" that . . . eeesh
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:13 AM   #15  
Inspired

Well, until I get off all the extra weight, I'll keep using my fur removers and look forward to seeing if weight loss will make a difference.