WW Clubs and Groups - #219 Bale of Turtles Reunited and Going Strong!

Itryharder
07-14-2009, 08:09 PM
:welcome3: :carrot: We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)

Itryharder
07-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi Turtles,
Princess, keep up your good work. You'll be home soon and you're being so good to your mom. In the meantime if the scale goes up because of TOM, it will be only temporary and the following week, all will be well and that dress will look divine in the fall. Yay!

I had a temporary glitch in my weight loss journey. Having two slices of pizza last night--all salty--tipped the scale the wrong way, but I intend to break through 204# next week. Wish me fortitude!

Okay, gotta run. be well and take care
Judy
234.6/206/204 and 30# down. :cool:

Lin S
07-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi, Turtles,

Lauren, thanks for the tip on the Omron pedometer. I'll check them out.

Ms. Meri, Thanks for the link to the haunted hotel story. It's an interesting one.

Good luck, Princess! You're doing great.

Judy, don't worry about weight gain due to salt-caused water retention. Drink some extra water, which will help your body rid itself of the excess and remember that gain is temporary.

I'm having an interesting first week. I think I'm going to end up today with extra points because of things like forgetting to take the bread to go with my soup at lunch. But I'm not hungry enough to eat it, anyway. And I'm only eating half of the fruit because I'm full. I will probably finish it later as a snack.

I know I'm not supposed to eat under points, but it's only one day out of the week and I've used some of my flex points. I'll probably end up using a bunch tonight because I have a crammed day. After work I have to go to the post office and the bank, which means I won't get home early enough to cook dinner. We can't eat later because Paul has a rehearsal, so we're going out, probably to Red Robin because it's close and fast enough for him to take me home before he has to leave. They put their nutrition information at each table and it's hard to do low points. So, I'm going to aim for medium and use some flex points. I'm going to go on their web site and see if they have it posted there, also. Then I can figure out the points and make a good decision before I get there. I'll let you know how it goes.

Keep on turtlin! :balloons:

msmeri
07-16-2009, 02:54 AM
Hey look- I followed the bread crumbs and I am here at 219-WOW

anyway lost 4.6 pounds at weigh in last night
the better news is that makes a total of 66.6 total
which is over half way mark of my 132 pound goal

I think I can do this!

:cloud9:

Itryharder
07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey MsMeri,
Weigh to go!!!!! :bravo: :dancer: :carrot: Isn't it wonderful that you're better than halfway there? Hey, this is what you get when you follow the breadcrumbs----and don't eat them!!!!!

All goes well here. I have to tighten up what I eat and plan and prepare better since my ds and his family will be here for a week and the food can get to be a challenge.

Good luck to all the Turtles. Keep on keepin' on.
Judy
234.6/206/204 and 30# down.

bandit2
07-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi turtles:

Msmeri - WOW, what a fabulous loss! You go, girl!

Judy - good luck with having company, that is always challenging to stay on track, but you can do it!

Hope everyone else is following their plans.

As for myself, I was up 1# last night at Tops. So was alittle disappointed with that. I know I had a few brownies at office & also ate ham 3 nights, but still seems if I have ANYTHING extra it shows at the scales. But, also I didn't get as many walks as usual, so guess all these things make big difference at the scale.

Going away for the weekend to Darien Lake, so that also will be challenging eating away from home. But I will take some point-friendly snacks & probably my own things for breakfast, so that will help.

Anway, everyone have a great OP day!

msmeri
07-16-2009, 03:45 PM
HAM - yum, yum but it's loaded with evil sodium.:devil:

Lin S
07-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Nice job, Ms. Meri!!

I met my challenge last night. I discovered that one of the restaurant chains out here, Red Robin, has an online nutrition calculator. You can add/subtract toppings, dressings, etc. from your food choices and figure out ahead of time what you want to eat, including the points. Their food, like most restaurant food, tends to be high in fat and sodium. But I was able to make good choices and stayed easily within my points. And I had leftovers for today.

Tomorrow's weigh-in day for me, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Keep on turtlin'! :balloons:

msmeri
07-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Lin - very good to know. We have a new(ish) Red Robbin in our town. I went there for the first time last week. I won't even tell you what I had.
:cbg:
But when I came home and looked up info for points online I noticed they offer the Boca "burger" substitute. I like them I buy them at the store all the time.

Itryharder
07-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes Guys. I also like that Outback has a lighter menu you can get online. It suggests that you ask for a steak or burger without the added butter on top. Very good to know---who would think they'd put butter on top of meat that is already marbled with fat? Also, I've had good luck at Applebee's because they feature WW items on their menu. They point them out and everything and they don't taste bad either.

Lin, good luck for a WW WI :goodscale: I'm so happy you investigated and found out good info.

Having a good day---mean to keep it that way.
Judy
234.6/206/204 and almost 30# down. :cool:

Lin S
07-17-2009, 12:02 PM
My first week's weigh-in was (drum roll) 3.5 pounds gone. :carrot::carrot::carrot:

I'm home today and have a ton of stuff to do. Have a great weekend, everyone.

Happy turtlin'! :balloons: (Love the balloons. They make it a party.)

CherryAutumn
07-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Hi ladies. Don't know if you remember me or not. After 9 long months I finally welcomed my New little Boy into the world. I am not free to excercise yet since i had a c-section but i am trying to get into the right frame of mind to start getting healthier. I weighed 242 when i got pregnant and weighed in at 253 at the hospital. 2 1/2 weeks after having the baby i am weighing 232. Now if i could just keep it going in the downward direction. It seems like we have a few new people. That is nice to see. They wont remember me so i a may do an introduction when i am able to get on. 3 kids under 4 yrs old is keeping me busy.

Itryharder
07-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Lin, :cp: :bravo: :goodscale: weigh to go! That's a great weight loss. Doesn't it feel good?

Cherry, of course I remember you. Congrats on your baby and double congrats on doing so well with your weight. Let us know how everything is going and give that new little guy a hug and a kiss from us.

Day is like torture with all the pulls toward food I'm feeling, but so far so good. I'm not succumbing and I'm glad I checked this site right now because it reminds me of what I'm supposed to be doing and what the results will be if I make the right choices. :dancer: :chef: :cool:

Judy
234.6/206/204 and 30# down and closer to onederland :cool:

msmeri
07-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Lin - WOW 3.5 pounds awesome girlfriend! Are you doing anything different or new...
that we should know about?

Cherry - Nice to meet you. I am one of the new ones. I have been doing the "home" version of WW for six months.I really love it, cuz I can eat anything I want. Nothing is off limits (within reason) and I don't feel deprived. I actually think I eat more now being on the program then I did before....Skipping meals and screwing with my metabolism. Exercise is my key, though. I used to sleep for 12 hours (no exaggeration) and I only work 4 hours, and I would come home and veg out in front of the TV for a min of 5 hours. This went on for more then 11 years. That there my dear friends is a recipe for how to make yourself over 300 pounds.
By the way...What's the new little guy's name and stats?

Judy - hang on to the rope! You won't fall in if were holdin' ya. When ever I want to give up (especially exercise) I remember my Internet friends are counting on me to do my part.

:dust:

msmeri
07-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Here are six tips for getting a guilt-free chocolate fix.

1. Keep it pure.
"If you want chocolate, have chocolate, don't have chocolate cake," says Collins. "You'll get the intense chocolate flavor, and you won't be getting the extra calories and unhealthy fats."

2. Choose wisely.
While chocolate may have some health benefits, it should still be eaten as a treat. "It's not a substitute for fruits and vegetables; it's a substitute for other discretionary calories," says Collins. So when snacking, should you pick chocolate over a pear? Probably not. How about chocolate instead of potato chips? Yes, indeed!

3. Eat what you like.
The darker the chocolate, the more phytochemicals (and usually less sugar) it contains. Its flavor is also more intense than milk chocolate. But if you don't like the bitterness of dark chocolate, don't think it's your only option, says Collins. "If what you really like is the milk chocolate, then have what you like, because you're eating this for pleasure."

4. Think bite-size.
It usually just takes a little bit of chocolate to curb a craving. That's why Collins suggests buying chocolate in small portions. "Don't buy the larger size because the unit pricing is better…you won't stop. It's human nature," she says.

5. Get a liquid fix.
Hot cocoa is another way to enjoy chocolate. Make your own low-POINTS® value version with cocoa, skim milk or water and a sugar substitute. Look for "natural" cocoa, not "Dutch-processed." The processing significantly diminishes its phytochemical content, says Collins.

6. Savor it.
If you really love chocolate, slow down and enjoy it instead of gobbling it down on the go. This way, says Collins, "You will get so much enjoyment out of a small amount that you won't need to eat a bagful."

From Weight Watchers

Lin S
07-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi, Cherry. You must have been a member between my stints here. I'm the lady who started this group and it's nice to meet you. It's great that people (YAY, Judy! :D ) are keeping this going even though the individual members come and go and come back over the years. Welcome back!

Ms. Meri, it was my first week. Thanks for the congrats! I'm not doing anything super different at this point. Just getting back into the swing of figuring and counting points, etc. This wasn't my biggest first week weight loss ever. That honor goes to one of the WW previous programs with super-restricted food intake to force a large first-week loss. This was my best first week loss because I wasn't feeling deprived or hungry. I'm so glad that now WW starts the way you're going to continue with the program.

Judy--thanks for the congrats!! You're doing fine. You managed not to succumb to your temptations. Pat yourself on the back and concentrate on that success, not on what you didn't do.

Things are going well right now. I'm taking a break before I start dinner and thought I'd check in and see how you all are doing.

Princess1122
07-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Morning all and happy Monday to everyone. I did not make it to WW on Saturday for my W/I, I was just too tired after the trip home and had lots of house work to do to catch up. Today is a new day for me and I really need to get into gear so that I can fit into that dress in just 6 weeks time.

Glad to see that everyone is back and getting on track...

Princess

msmeri
07-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Went to a Buffet last night w/MIL. I way I figure it I had around 41 points.

Today is a new day!

Hope you all success.

Ladynredd - where are you? Is you DH ok?

bandit2
07-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Morning turtles

Cherry - welcome back! Yes, I remember you as well.

Survived my weekend at Darien Lake & now time to get back on track.
I had a few extra treats over weekend, but we also walked lots through the park to go on rides. So hoping to be OK this Wed at scales.

Lin - congrats on your weight loss this week, that is really great!

Hope everyone else is having a good day!

LaurenH
07-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Congratsl Lin! :carrot:

And congrats, Meri, on your meeting this new milestone! That's terrific.

Welcome back, Cherry -- I remember you! Glad everything went OK and your new little one is in the world.

Judy, you're so close to onederland -- you CAN DO THIS!!!!

Bandit, yes, I've found that virtually everything I eat affects my weight. Any extra bites, etc. will show on the scale now. It hasn't always been that way, but as I get thinner I am much more restricted in what it takes to lose or even maintain my weight. No more messing around. I have to stay aware ALL the time. But it's worth it to me.

Hi, Princess!

Had a fantastic weekend with a bunch of people from Dottie's Weight Loss Zone. This was a get-together of about 18 people from the 100+ group -- a group of people with 100 or more pounds to lose (or keep off). I love this group of folks. We had a big pool party! Imagine being able to feel completely accepted and loved by a big group of people while in a bathing suit. I didn't swim this year (no suit) but I did last year, and it was great. We laughed a lot and talked a lot and just generally had a wonderful time.

I did eat too much, though it was mostly healthy, and that's showing on the scales today (up 1.5). Believe it or not, I can way overeat on fruit, and that's what I did. All that lovely watermelon and blueberries, but it's still calories. Fortunately I also walked a little over 6 miles on Friday -- we hit the local art fair, which is ginormous. So that helped!

We're having such a beautiful summer here -- cool and sunny. It's like having four months of spring.

Have a great day, everyone. We CAN do this.

Itryharder
07-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Oh wow, I enjoy hearing from you all. I've gotta run, but wanted to say hi. My grandkids will be with us this week as my ds and ddil take a little vacation break. Wish me luck!
Love to all, Judy

msmeri
07-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Lauren ~ Six Miles, Holy Cow!:moo:

Bandit ~ Did you take any pictures at the lake?

Went over points yesterday, Thought I was careful. Only over by 3, and I think 4 of it was my 16oz of milk for breakfast. Not fair my "leader" does not count her milk points. And we are in a monthly contest. Think I'm gonna have a chat w/her about that.

Going over to babysit again this morning. Got my bag all packed. Carrots, mini rice cakes, 6 reduced fat crackers to go w/ her tuna. And my favorite water drinking cup I can't live without.:coffee:

Itryharder
07-21-2009, 01:01 PM
MsMeri, I think it's so funny that your WW leader doesn't count her milk points. Since I'm supposed to have 3 servings of milk, that's 6 points before I even start with food! If she's ignoring the milk points, how is her weight loss coming along?

I've kind of lost it right now. Eating out of stress and I want to get on top of this now.

:goodvibes: to all.
Judy

Lin S
07-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Princess--catch me up, please. You're planning to fit into a special dress in the next 6 weeks. What's the special occasion?

Lauren, it's great you had a wonderful weekend with your buddies from DWLZ. Even good for you food can be a problem if we eat too much of it. Figuring out how much is too much is difficult because it seems to be different for each person.

Judy, :hug: for the stress. I hope you have a great time with your grandkids, despite that stress.

Ms. Meri, milk points are a big problem for me because I'm supposed to do 3 and I don't eat lowfat or nonfat foods. I eat smaller servings of the full fat foods. And milk products aren't the only foods that have calcium in them. Here's a list I found of other calcium-rich foods:
* Salmon
* Tofu
* Rhubarb
* Sardines
* Collard greens
* Spinach
* Turnip greens
* Okra
* White beans
* Baked beans
* Broccoli
* Peas
* Brussel sprouts
* Sesame seeds
* Bok choy
* Almonds

I think WW should give people alternatives to milk products that they can count for their daily calcium. I eat many of these foods regularly. And I take supplements. Whether or not I get the WW amounts of dairy products, I'd still have to take supplements because osteoperosis is a major problem in my family.

Thanks, everyone, for the congrats!

This week is going really well. I'm noticing a huge difference this time from my past efforts. Everything is a lot more even because I don't have those huge hormone fluctuations anymore. I used to get stuck in a cycle of gain/lose the same 5 pounds every month, no matter what I did. Then I'd get discouraged and quit. I don't have that problem anymore. I know they say that it's harder to lose weight after menopause (I'm two months from "officially" being post-menopausal, but I'm not getting the hormonal signals that would signify I'm not really there yet.), but I'm thinking I'm one of the exceptions to that rule because PMS and then perimenopause wreaked such havoc with my eating patterns. We'll see as time goes on if this continues.

msmeri
07-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Lin ~ I am a big user of non dairy calcium sources. I have Salmon, Spinach, Almonds, several time a month and almonds almost every other day. I love Bok choy! I think I might die if I eat Rhubarb or Sardines however (yuck) I have been collecting Tofu recipes, but have not bought any yet. I am scared. Any advise, guys?

Judy ~ You hit the nail on the head! She is yo-yoing the same 5 pounds for the entire 6 months we have been at it. She can't get below 230 her pre-pregnancy weight. And keep in mind she bought the top of the line treadmill. All I have invested is $20 bucks for a stability ball. I walk in the neighborhood for free.

It is 4:13 pm and points are lookin good so far. Maybe there is a Skinny Cow in my futcher (couldn't have one last night and it was 112 degrees):mad:

msmeri
07-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Graham Crackers
They're not just for kids! Graham crackers are convenient, portable, and offer that oh-so appealing crunch. Grab three graham cracker squares to get 15-20 g of carbs.

Frozen Fruit Bar
Next time those hunger pangs hit, pick a frozen sugar-free fruit bar--it will treat your sweet tooth and might also have extra vitamin C.

Popcorn
If you have a hankering for a crunchy snack, skip the chips and grab 3 cups of light popcorn (no salt, no butter). Plus, popcorn is easy to grab on the go and full of fiber.

Pita Bread Pocket with Hummus
Hummus isn't just a fun party dip, it's a great everyday snack option, too. Made from ground garbanzo beans (chick peas), hummus is a flavorful way to get your fiber. Spread 1 tablespoon of hummus on half of a pita bread pocket (1 ounce) for a delicious low-fat snack.

English Muffin with Cheese and Apple Slices
Want a snack with ooey-gooey melted cheese? You're in the right place with this combo snack that includes half of a whole wheat English muffin, 1 ounce low-fat cheese, and a couple of apple slices (about 1/4 of a small apple). Set it in a toaster oven or under the broiler for a few seconds for a chewy snack that hits the spot.

Itryharder
07-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Hey Guys, keep on keepin' on! I'm heading out to the aquarium with the grandkids, but I finally feel like I could be on track today. Keep up your great support. Lin, that hug feels mighty good.
Judy

bandit2
07-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Good morning, turtles

Last night went for a walk with my ladies group at a nearby lake with walking trails. Beautiful looking out over the lake & fun to catch up with everyone.
Counted it as 2 miles since we walked for about an hour.

Have my Tops weigh in tonight & hoping for that to be OK. Hard to know with being away last week.

Msmeri - no, didn't take any pictures. I am not very good with those things.

Judy - hope you are having fun with your grandkids & staying on track.

Princess - hope you are are doing well.

Cherry, Lin & Lauren - good luck on your plans.

Have a great OP day!

msmeri
07-22-2009, 11:05 AM
let's see if I can post this...

CherryAutumn
07-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Good Morning Ladies. It is good to hear how everyone is doing. I seem to be having trouble remembering that i am not pregnant anymore and i can't just give into my cravings like i am pregnant. (Bummer) I guess i have to start thinking about what i am eating again. As far as pregnancy weight gain i only gained 10 pounds and lost 20 after having the baby so i think i did good in that area. Hope to get more in the swing of things in the next couple days

LaurenH
07-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi, all!

Judy -- Take a deep breath. You're so close to onederland, and I'm rooting so hard for you! You CAN do this. Eating won't make the stressful things go away. {{HUGS}}

Cherry, that's great that you're down from before you got pregnant!

Bandit, I'll bet it was 3 miles during that hour. Good for you!

Lin, I agree on the other sources for calcium. I cannot get in all the milk points WW requires, especially given that I'm only allowed 21 points a day now. (GACK!) I have yogurt every day and take supplements. It will have to do. Thanks for that handy list; lots of good stuff there. So glad your week is going well! I cannot WAIT to get beyond all the hormonal @&#^&@! It's just getting worse for me now. Quite irregular, and I often have a period for 3 out of 4 weeks. Peri-menopause is not for sissies.

Meri, what do you do with the stability ball? We have one but I've never used it. No idea where to begin.

We've been having some amazing discussions over in the 100+ group on Dotti's Weight Loss Zone. I heartily recommend them. Here are links to the past couple of days:

http://www.dwlz2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44540 This one is about what being overweight means in our lives.

http://www.dwlz2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44568 And this one is about the things we're putting off until that mythical day when we're thin and life is perfect. In other words, why are we putting these things off? Why aren't we just going ahead and doing them now?

I don't usually link to DWLZ -- in fact, this may be the first time I've done that here -- but I do think these discussions are great.

As for me, I'm realizing I'm eating way too many points on my current program, given my new weight. That's a hard thing to discover, but it explains why my weight loss has slowed so much in the past four months or so. So I'm looking at what to cut back on and still remain on this program, which I really do enjoy. I've decided to have my lunch yogurt as a mid-afternoon snack (getting rid of the snack provided by my program), and I've made lower-point breakfast choices this coming week. That means having cereal most days, which is fine with me. I may also look at changing the plan I'm doing, going with a more abbreviated version or even going with another plan altogether. Tweak, tweak, tweak!

Have a great day, everyone.

Lin S
07-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Hi!!

Ms. Meri--I love popcorn! It's one of my favorite snacks. I always allow a few points for the oil and butter. I discovered that you only need 1 teaspoon of oil to make one serving of popcorn, just enough to keep it from sticking to the pan. And it doesn't take gobs of butter to give it the flavor I'm looking for.

I love that turtle saying!! Courage is definitely needed to buck our current culture with it's enormous portions and constant eating.

Judy, I hope the aquarium was fun. Hang in there and you'll make it.

Bandit, the walk sounds lovely. I used to walk for an hour on the track near my mother's house. I walked 12 laps, which is three miles, so if you walked an average pace for an hour, you probably did three. Aren't you glad I used to track my distance/time? :D

Cherry, :hug: I vaguely remember that problem. My "babies" are 25 and 30, so it was a while ago.

Lauren, perimenopause is definitely not for sissies! Mine was horrible and you DO NOT want to know the details, believe me.

You talked about your "current program". What program are you doing?

I rejoined DWLZ last night. I think they must have deleted my original membership since I've been inactive for so long. I decided to stick with Lin S over there this time. I read part of the first thread you linked to. And I agree, it is a good discussion.

I need to eat three more points today, but I'm so not hungry. Maybe later, if I get hungry, I'll pop a half serving of popcorn. Ms. Meri, you got me in the mood. I walked 4 miles today as part of my job. I used my pedometer to see how far I've been walking. I was expecting it to be about 3. If I'd had to go to the bank, that's at least another half mile. I only have one more week to do that part of my job. Then it's back to going downtown three times a week, which is a shorter walk and I'll have to add something else at least two days a week.

msmeri
07-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Well I lost 2 pounds last night. I don't know how, I only had 4 days on points.:cp:

Lin ~ Have you had the new Act II Microwave Popcorn-96% fat-free it is 1 point for 5 cups :p What is DWLZ? Way to go on the 4 miles.:running:

Lauren ~ Oh they are so fun. They come in 3 sizes depending on your height. I only got mine cuz the box said 1200 pound teat rating and it came w/ a DVD.The unstable quality of the ball has an impact on the neutralizers and stabilizers of any joint involved in a movement. For example, the stabilization required to maintain a push-up position recruits and develops the stabilizers and neutralizers of the shoulder girdle/joint in a way that a chest machine can not. The improved joint function, due to this stabilization work, results in increased joint integrity, decreased injury potential and increased efficiency in force production. I have also seen improvements in my client’s bench presses with very bench work. Most of my athletes do very little benching, yet they continuously improve in their bench press. I accredit this again to the stabilization work we do on the Stability Ball. http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisegear/a/exerciseball.htm
They help with:
- multiple muscle systems
- neurologically induced muscular responses
- a normal and natural process of balance
- the body’s own normal processes, to establish and restore balance.” There are free videos on youtube to show you what to do.

Judy~ You still following those tracks?:dizzy:

Princess1122
07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Morning all and happy Thursday to everyone. I am in the process of getting ready for my future DIL's bridal shower this weekend so I am busy busy busy. I am done to only five weeks to get some weight off and fit into that dress...ugh! I am moving in the right direction though.

I am so far behind on posts but how is everyone doing these days? From the quick glance that I took at the posts it sure seems that everyone is busy and on track which is wonderful!

Have to run, have a ton of errands to do today.
princess

bandit2
07-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Morning, turtles:

Had my w/i last night & was down .75# so was happy with that, especially being away last weekend with friends. Then since we didn't have meeting, had time to get in another 2 miles walk at the center.

Lauren - don't envy you with the perimenopausal thing. I did that for a year then had a hysterectomy which pushed me directly through to menopause.
You just don't know what to expect on a daily basis & I found that just crazy.
Good luck!

Lin - 3 miles sounds good to me for my tracking, thanks!

Msmeri - nice job on the 2# loss. That is awesome!

Princess - sounds like you are having lots of excitment in your life. Hope your shower goes smooth.

This weekend my gf is coming to my trailer on Friday & staying over. We are planning on having bbq shrimp, greek salad & I need to make some kind of side dish - any suggestions? Then on Sat I have a Jack & Jill to go to.
That will be another food challenge - always something going on. But thats life & as we know we just have to plan ahead & stay focussed on our goals.

We have had terrible weather up here this summer. Still doesn't feel like summer has arrived. On the news they are calling this "Bummer Summer"
Hopefully, August will be better. But even so, it starts getting cooler by Sept. So, very short summer this year.

Anyway, thats enough of me rambling.

Have a great OP day!

LaurenH
07-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Bandit, congrats on that loss! And my sympathies on your weather. We've had cool but sunny days for the most part, which I've really enjoyed. But in Maine and now here in Michigan, it's rainy and cold. I'm wearing a fleece jacket today! (What did we ever do before fleece?) We need the rain, but a steady diet of it is just depressing. Here's hoping your August is toasty and dry.

Princess, what does the dress look like? Wow, that wedding is so close!

Meri, I didn't even think about YouTube -- great suggestion! Thanks. And WTG on that loss! Wow! :carrot:

Judy, how are you??

Lin, 4 miles is terrific! I can't find my pedometer; must dig it back up again.

I'm doing a plan called Pure Foods Fresh Start. It's a home delivery meal plan. Each week, they deliver my meals in a big cooler. About 16 months ago, I had an epiphany while watching my cat, Chloe. Chloe was a stray and therefore was always obsessed with food. We couldn't just leave a bowl of food out for her to nosh on all day, like we could with our other cats; she'd have gotten enormous. So we fed her specific portions, twice a day. One day I thought to myself, "I need a *me* in my life." Someone who would portion out my food for me, in other words, and say -- this is what you get to eat today.

I found on WW that I was very good at lying to myself about my portions. "This dinner plate piled high with mashed potatoes, that's probably about, oh, half a cup ..." And I would wonder why I wasn't losing weight, because hey, I was journaling! Subconsciously, I knew what the problem was, but I did it anyway. So. When I had this epiphany, I decided to investigate home delivery plans. I didn't want anything freeze-dried or anything that had to be boiled, etc. I wanted fresh, healthy food. So I did a bunch of research online and decided on Pure Foods, because they don't use additives, the food is all fresh, and they base their program on the glycemic index. With diabetes being huge in my family, and with my own blood sugar creeping up, I thought this would be the way to go.

So that's what I'm doing. I keep thinking I'll try another plan at some point, but I'm still very happy with this one. The food is quite good. I was thunderstruck by the size of the portions initially -- they seemed minuscule! They really are much, much smaller than what I was used to. But they're also higher in fat than what I used to eat, which explains the higher points for the smaller portions. The healthy fats have really helped keep me satiated, though, and my hair and skin have never looked better.

For someone who loves to cook, like you do, this plan wouldn't be optimal. But I hate cooking, hate grocery shopping, so it's perfect. If we can afford it, I plan to stay on some modified version of it for as long as possible. (It's not cheap, as you may well imagine.)

Have a great day, everyone!

msmeri
07-23-2009, 01:02 PM
yea youtube is my go to place for workouts
and exercise TV
and sportskool.com has a great 5 min arm routine

let me know what you find

CherryAutumn
07-23-2009, 01:28 PM
I have been a mess lately but it is encouraging to read everyone elses posts. I don't like how i feel or look but i have a hard time finding the motivation to actually do anything about it. Plus i am definately an emotional eater and in my mind eating is soothing and makes things better but then i regret my choices. I know this is the same old story and i have read this on so many other peoples posts. Any advice?

msmeri
07-23-2009, 02:07 PM
My dear CherryAutumn~
Can you
chew bubble gum,
I have some at work, in my purse, in my car, in my diet materials bag. EVERYWHERE! lots of different flavors
Knit
go for a walk
turn on some music
paint your toe nails
read something
get on the computer
eat crunchie veggies
apply flavored chap stick/lip gloss

The first step is to notice when the emotion is coming on.
Then have a planned activity ready to go (all planned out)

For me I need to also change the scene
If I am upset at night in bed reflecting(worrying) I go take a shower
if I get bad news on the phone, I leave the house on my bike
if it's work, I bite my tong till I make it home,
then journal till I get the "mad" out.

If it is PMS, and I am worshiping at the chocolate alter
I have 3 pieces of sugar free chocolate
expensive
and it will give you the runs

Have a plan

No it doesn't always work, but it helps some of the time

Lin S
07-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi,

WOW! Lots of posts today. :D

Ms. Meri--I appreciate the suggestion, but it's highly unlikely I'll try it. I eat mostly fresh food. I buy ingredients and cook them myself. I'm considered a "gourmet cook" by most people I know. I'd much rather eat a smaller portion of plain old popcorn popped in a bit of peanut oil than a huge bowl of stuff that (to me) tastes like chemicals. I inherited my grandmother's sensitive nose and palate. I've been honing my palate with my cooking hobby for decades. I taste things most people don't. And I'm picky about what I eat. If it doesn't taste good, I won't eat it. One exception--I'll eat in restaurants or eat food at pot lucks or other social events that I wouldn't choose on my own. The people in my life are way more important than food.

You asked what DWLZ is. It's Dottie's Weight Loss Zone, the site Lauren mentioned in her post.

Princess--Congratulations to your son on his wedding. And to you, MIL to be. Have a great time!

Bandit--Congratulations on that .75#. Nice going!!

Lauren--That sounds like a good plan for you. You're right that it wouldn't work for me, cook that I am. So, I measure my portions and ingredients when I cook. When a recipe says 4 servings and doesn't say how big one serving is, I measure it and divide by 4. It's more work, but for me, it's the best way to manage my food, because portion control is my biggest issue.

:hug: , Cherry. Motivation can be a big issue. I don't know when your baby was born, but it could be that you need a bit more time for your hormones to settle down and your body to get adjusted to not being pregnant. Maybe you could focus on not gaining for a month and then see if you feel more motivated to make some changes. Then do the baby step thing--make one change and that's all for a month. "Rinse, lather, repeat" as the saying goes. Whatever you do, good luck and remember we're here to help, if we can.

My light bulb moment: I was thinking about weight loss and that it's not possible for people who have to lose weight, especially significant amounts of weight, to eat the way people who never gain weight do. They have an automatic control mechanism that we lack. I don't know what it is. The researcher that figures out what it is and how to fix it will make a fortune.

I eat all those whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc. that you're supposed to eat. If eating healthy food instead of unhealthy food was the answer, I'd be normal weight. I've always loved to walk and when I do, I lose some weight, but regular exercise and eating healthy food has never been enough to get me to a normal weight. So, eating healthy and getting regular exercise are only part of the picture. What my light bulb moment was is that I cannot trust my body's control mechanism, therefore I have to do something else. (I know--DUH!!)

What that something else is right now is measuring everything when I'm at home. When I'm in a restaurant, I get a box and put 1/2 -3/4 of what they give me in it before I eat. I'm always amazed when my husband and I share something and have enough left over for both of us to have lunch the next day. That's FOUR servings from ONE portion!

And, I'm doing something I would never have done in the past because it feels a bit compulsive. I'm trying to remember not to put a bite in my mouth until I've swallowed the one I've already eaten. I'm hoping it's a trick that will allow me to slow down enough to notice when I'm full.

Writing a book again. I seriously need to get regular writing back into my life. Give me an opportunity and I go nuts with the words. :D

bandit2
07-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Morning, everyone

Lin - thanks for all the information for everyone, good tips there.

A few things that have helped me on this journey are weighing/measuring things & keeping a list of point values for my regular foods.
I make my "second helpings" veggies only
Pack up all my food & snacks for the day when I leave for work - no excuse for fast food
Leave enough points for evening snack
Read labels
Preplan meals weekly
Have lots of fresh fruit & veggies on hand

Have a great weekend everyone.

msmeri
07-24-2009, 12:14 PM
The secret is in the pre planning

DON'T FORGET ABOUT ALL THE MONEY YOU WILL SAVE!

Proper meal planning also has a nice side benefit; you will eat healthier. Home-prepared meals are healthier than restaurant meals. home prepared meals are higher in several nutrients, including fiber, calcium, folate, iron, vitamins B6, B12, C, and E. They are also generally lower in saturated and trans fats.

Save money, eat healthier, and have more free time -
three resolutions that can be kept by planning your meals!
It will also result in spending more time with your family!
Good luck!

Itryharder
07-24-2009, 02:26 PM
I am here and you're all helping me. I hope to grab a minute to respond to all-----but grandkids keeping me mighty busy. I honestly do not understand why anyone with small kids doesn't weigh a ton!!!! All these goodies and so little time.
Today is better and I'll chime in when I can really write.
:goodscale: to all of us who are working so hard and seeing results AND the tips are fabulous!
Judy

msmeri
07-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Goin' out to lunch with friends

Mexican or Olive Garden

loose ~ loose situation

Lin S
07-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Today is weigh-in day. I'm down another 2.5 lbs. :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

I recalculated my points because I know my basic life routine is going to include less activity starting this week, so I have to add activity points if I want to eat more. But, actually, I don't. I've never before not wanted to eat every point I was given. I suspect it's a combination of body changes as I've gotten older and the changes in the type of food I eat.

Bandit--thanks for sharing things that work for you. Very helpful.

Judy--:hug: Good luck with today. You'll be fine.

Ms. Meri--Good luck with lunch. You could take your own advice and plan your lunch. Check online. A lot of restaurants have their nutrition information and you can use it to figure out what will work for you. If the restaurant they pick doesn't, then decide what type of food you'll eat. Soup and salad are often good choices at lunch.

I've noticed that you've been very successful so far, but it seems like your posts sometimes have a bit of negativity that could bite you in the long run. Of course, I don't know you all that well, so I could be just misreading what you're saying, so please take my comment in the helpful spirit it was intended to be.

Keep on turtlin, everyone! :balloons:

msmeri
07-24-2009, 11:25 PM
yeppers I went on line as soon as I got out of the shower
I really wanted the Chicken Marcella
It is only on the dinner menu
they gave it to me anyway

websight said it was around 900+ calories = 23 points
It came in 3 filletes
I brought home 2 of them

The websight said the salad with dressing was 5 points
But I ordered the light dressing so it should help a little

Still went over points
But I had a nice time

:hat:

Itryharder
07-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Lin, Bandit, MsMeri, and all who've lost weight this week:
Weigh to go! :cheer: :bravo: and :goodscale: You are the greatest. Thanks for all the tips.

Princess, enjoy your bridal shower today. You're going to do great and I know you'll fit into that dress in time for the wedding. Exercise and walking and journaling will do the trick.

I'm stealing time away from the gang to check in here., I made a huge tossed salad sans dressing, low point WW potato/roasted red pepper salad, and I'll either have a Boca burger or point out one of the hamburgers for our BBQ tonight. Also made an angelfood/pineapple cake for dessert and it's hardly any points for a slice.

Tomorrow is another challenge since we're having a huge BBQ for my ds and his family===there'll be about 20 of us and I'm doing pick up salads at grocery store, etc. So that will require more thinking.

Everybody----keep up the good work and I can't wait to get into the swing of chatting here daily. In the meantime, it looks like I've slowed down the worst of the eating and I'm doing a lot better.
Judy :cool:

Lin S
07-25-2009, 08:14 PM
It's so good to hear from you, Judy. I'm glad things are better. :)

Nice job, Ms. Meri. It sounds like you made good choices. :)

Restaurant eating is one of our biggest challenges, as I've realized when I've gone onto the web sites of those places that put their nutrition info up. When you look at the calorie count, most of their portions have between 1000 and 1500, give or take a hundred calories or so. People get angry, like the restaurant industry is out to get them, but they're not. They're doing what they think they need to do to get people to eat in their restaurants. So, it's up to us to choose not to eat reasonable portions. I used to eat half, but now, I'm finding myself eating about a third of many restaurant meals. That makes sense, since the calorie count is about 3x what one meal should be.

I'm discovering that it's easier if I'm prepared before I get there. So, at the Cheesecake Factory last night, I had a chicken tostada salad, all the sauces on the side. They don't publish nutritional information on their web site, but I could tell that the salad itself is pretty low in points, since it's almost all lettuce. By putting the sauces on the side, I could control a lot of the point value by simply not eating much of them. I estimated 1T of oil for the corn tortillas and grilled chicken. And, even with including points for the few bites of cheesecake I ate, I was within my points for the day. My trick for being accurate with estimating the points was to take apart the leftover salad and weigh/measure that portion. Since there was the same amount on each tortilla and I ate half, I figured out the points for what was left and used that figure as my dinner points.

Princess1122
07-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Morning everyone!

I did not go to W/I yesterday as I had a ton of stuff to do for the bridal shower... the shower did turn out to be nice but I just have to voice something here... do you know that only 4 people showed up for the shower... that is besides the bride and groom, her mother and sister and myself. I was just so hurt for my future DIL, two of her bridesmaids did not even show up... I mean, really? How could someone do that? I know that she noticed how few people were there, how could she not??? I called my youngest son and he and one of his friends came rushing over to help fill the gaps but there were just too many to fill and it was sooooo obvious. I was just heart broken. I spent a ton of money that we really did not have to make it a true event and I did not mind spending the money but we have food piled high now because no one was there to eat it all, even though we had at least 10 people that said that they would be there plus family, etc.

I could go on forever about this but will not bore you all with it, I have so much anger inside me right now that I can feel it eating at me... guess I will have to take a large amount of walks today to try and work it out. Did not sleep last night so maybe an early night tonight will help also. UGH.

I have been trying to get caught up on the posts and the information and tips that everyone is posting is wonderful and very helpful! Looks like everyone is doing pretty well and that is a great thing!

The scale is going down for me but I think it is stress right now more then anything. Not having a lot of luck in the job department but I have faith that something will come along soon.

How is everyone else doing?

msmeri
07-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Princess ~ That is terrible of her brides maids. But I know that you being there, with her mom, sister, and your youngest son, now that is what matters the most!

It's not quanity it's quality

The marriage will be blessed, because it already has the support of family.

She is a lucky bride to have you!
:congrat:

Itryharder
07-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Princess, I am shocked. That was absolutely disgusting behavior on the part of the no-shows. I guess I should temper my response a little since you're being so good about it, but .........I am disappointed for the bride and for you after the expense and the work of pulling off the shower. And I must also say, the anticipation of having a lovely event for your future dil....and then having the disappointment creep in was really not fair. I'm hoping the two bridesmaids had a verrrrrry good reason for not attending.

So now I'm sending you :hug: and :grouphug: because you know we're all pulling for you that you'll sleep well tonight, the anger will subside, you'll get in some good deep breaths, and keep on track . I'm sending some prayers that you'll find a job soon.

Today is our BBQ here. Tomorrow my ds and his family will be on the road, and by Tuesday I should be able to get to the things I've been neglecting while the children and then the whole family has been here.

I'm sending a :grouphug: and :goodvibes: to all who've been chiming in here. Although I haven't been able to respond well, I've been grabbing a half minute here and there to read and the words have been encouraging.

Take care and be well.
Judy

Princess1122
07-26-2009, 12:21 PM
msmeri: thanks so much for the kind words... it means a lot and you are right in what you say about quality and not quantity.

Judy: Nope, the bridesmaids have no good excuse that I know of... the one actually called my sons (the groom) cell phone during the event, actually her husband called because he and my son are friends... he asked why they were not there and their answer was "oh we forgot about it" not, oh my gosh! we forgot and will be right there... just we forgot and basically have better things to do. This coming from the couple that just got married and my son was in their wedding and my future dil helped out the bride with all kinds of things and attended all of the events...ugh! But thanks for your kind words also!

msmeri
07-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Well I was good yesterday, had 19 points, including the brownie a-la-mode by WW I had last night.:o

My plan for today, is to do the same. Will be baby sitting 2 more times this week from 8:30-3:00. I paked my tuna, non fat mayo, counted out 6 reduced fat crackers & I think they have a tomato I can stuff. A tomato is NO points? Right?

Our chalenge of who ever gets the most stickers in there little calander is going to be real close for July. In June, I was on points 22 times to win the gift certificate. She gave it to me Saturday. We went directly to the mall. Have you ever heard of Claires? It is a fashion accessoiy store. Not expensive. They always have a deal buy 2 get 1 free. Well one card w/9 pairs on it was on clearence for $1 so it's didn't count twd deal. I grabed another pair silver butterflies. Came home with 11 new pairs of ear rings. So happy. Just need to get revved up for thr rest of this month. Or I am gonna be the one buying a gift certificate. and I just don't know what to get?

Hope you green people have a good start to the end of July.

:cool:

Princess1122
07-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Morning all and happy Monday to everyone! Beautiful weather we are having here today, tomorrow and most of the rest of the week they are calling for chances of rain so will get out today for walks and get my yard work done. My vegetable garden is really starting to produce lots of stuff - summer squash, zucchini's, tomoatoes, peppers and carrots... had radishes but they are done with for the season. I love fresh red homegrown tomatoes!

msmeri: Sounds like you have a great game plan in place for your babysitting days.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Princess1122
07-27-2009, 09:48 AM
msmeri: Yes, tomatoes are no points as far as I know.

Lin S
07-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Good afternoon, everyone!

:hug: :hug: :hug:, Princess! That's absolutely awful behavior on the part of your guests. It does hurt. I hope everyone who did show up had a great time! Then all of you who were there can talk about what a wonderful event it was and those who weren't there will be sorry they missed it. :D

Judy, I hope the BBQ was fun. I also hope your time with your grandkids came out more on the fun side than the stressful side. I hope you got some great memories from this week. :)

Ms. Meri, did you mistype your points? 19 seems like about 10 too few for someone our size. I hope you continue to do well. And congrats on winning the gift certificate and getting the earrings. :cool:

I had a busy weekend. It was the weekend for our church to participate in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. The women's group I used to sing in sang at the Luminaria ceremony. I'm so grateful that they let me sing with them for this event. Then Paul and I walked in the relay on Sunday morning. After church I had my training meeting for Stephen Ministry. Then we went to see Harry Potter. It was a great weekend.

But, I ate 0 meals at home, which was a challenge. Got activity points for the walk, both at the relay and at the outdoor mall where the movie theater is. I remembered something one of my Weight Watcher leaders said and followed her advice. She said that if your restaurant meal is replacing a meal you'd normally eat at home, choose food similar to what you'd normally eat. But if it's a special celebration, like a birthday or anniversary, then use your extra points to splurge a little. That strategy really helped me a lot.

The other strategy that I used is when I plan my meals for the week, I don't plan in the weekly points or activity points. Then I have them available for days like yesterday when I have special food challenges to deal with. It appears to be a great strategy, especially since I now may need more points because I'm having lunch with my youngest son tomorrow and he wants to go to Outback. I'll do fine. I'm mainly worried about the salt/water retention thing with restaurant food. I'm drinking plenty of water, which usually helps with that.

msmeri
07-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Lin ~ No, 19 was right. I had gone over Fri & Sat so I wanted to "detox" a bit LOL. Had 24 today. Only 2 fruits no veggi though, goin' shopping tomorrow. My group is doing the 11th annual Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer 5k in October. It will be out second one. I want too get ladynred to go too.

Princess ~ send me over some summer squash please. Next year I want to get some munchies growin'

Judy ~ Hope you didn't work to hard today.

I have tomorrows food all written down in my journal. I know it's warm but I have been eating old fashioned oatmeal 4 breakfast w/ sugar free coco mix and 1 tbsp peanut butter. Only 4 points & you make in Micro. It's called Breakfast Pudding:love:

bandit2
07-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone - hope you are all doing well this week.

I was busy this past weekend & had some extra things AGAIN over the weekend. Seems to be a trend I can't get away from.

This weekend am heading up to my gf trailer & staying for 2 nights. It is a long weekend up here & if I come back home Sun afternoon, that will give me a day to get some home chores done. She is also trying to drop some weight, so should be able to stay on track with her.

The weather is still not great up here. Today it is hot, but calling for thunderstorms this afternoon. This is has been the worst summer weatherwise in ages. But you just have to make the best of it & I keep saying "at least it is not freezing rain"

Have my w/i tomorrow & have no idea how that will turn out!

Good luck everyone with their own weigh-ins & challenges!

msmeri
07-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Dark Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries Between the fiber in the strawberries and dark chocolate's antioxidants and cholesterol-reducing fats, this sweet treat is a healthy indulgence. Ingredients: 1 ounce dark chocolate chips, melted 3/4 cup strawberries (about 5 to 6 medium) Calories: 150

Cheese and Crackers High-fiber rye crackers spread with light Rondele or Boursin cheese equal a crisp, creamy snack that's got lots of flavor without a lot of calories. Ingredients: 3 rye crackers 2 tablespoons spreadable "light" cheese Calories: 140

Baby Burrito Between the fiber-filled bean dip and the corn tortilla, which contains more fiber than a flour tortilla, this is one filling snack. Spicy salsa adds extra flavor without extra calories. Swap the bean dip for a quarter-cup of light (but not fat-free) shredded cheddar, then heat it in the microwave, and you've got a mini quesadilla. Ingredients: 6-inch corn tortilla 2 tablespoons bean dip 2 tablespoons salsa Calories: 140

Peanut Butter with Apples The apple's fiber and complex carbs get a boost from peanut butter's fat and protein. Choose chunky peanut butter, advises Bonci, for more fiber and a "chewier" texture. For a change of taste, try a pear or banana, or use soy nut butter, which contains heart-healthy isoflavones. Ingredients: 1 tablespoon peanut butter 1 medium apple Calories: 150

Minestrone Soup This mini meal is a very satisfying snack, with beans providing protein and fiber to keep you feeling full. Add a sprinkling of grated Parmesan for a flavor boost. Ingredients: 1/2 can of minestrone 2 teaspoons cheese Calories: 150

Veggies with Dip Mix powdered onion soup mix into a cup of plain, low-fat yogurt and you've got a tasty, low-cal, high-calcium dip that's perfect for jazzing up strips of green pepper or celery sticks. Ingredients: 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt 1 package onion soup mix 8 green pepper strips or celery sticks Calories: 150

Mediterranean Pasta Salad Nuke some cooked pasta with frozen mixed vegetables, toss in some light salad dressing and feta cheese, and you've got the perfect balance of carbs, protein, fat, and fiber. Ingredients: 1/2 cup pasta 1/2 cup frozen vegetables 2 tablespoons light dressing 1 tablespoon feta cheese Calories: 150

Tasty Tuna Sandwich Stir low-cal dressing or mayo into water-packed tuna and stuff mixture into a small whole wheat pita for a protein-rich snack with heart-healthy fats. Ingredients: 2 ounces water-packed tuna 1 tablespoon light dressing or mayonnaise 6-inch whole wheat pita pocket Calories: 150

Popcorn with a Twist Low-fat microwave popcorn has few calories and, often, little flavor to show for it. Kick things up a notch with butter-flavored spray and savory herb seasonings. Or add extra crunch and a little heart-healthy fat by tossing in some shelled sunflower seeds. Ingredients: Mini bag of low-fat popcorn Butter spray; seasoning Calories: 150

Princess1122
07-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi everyone and happy Tuesday to all. We have had nice weather here for a couple of days now but as I type this I can hear the thunder and the storm is rolling in... but I am with Bandit, I will take this over snow or freezing rain anyday =)

On plan and getting in exercise so feeling pretty darned good right now. Food has been good this week, sticking with fish, chicken, rice and veggies as much as posible to keep points low.

Lin: That is a great thought and you are right... it was a wonderful time and everyone that did attend did enjoy themselves. You sound like a busy gal, how was the Harry Potter movie?

Bandit: Hope your W/I goes well! You sound like you have a great weekend planned, I am jealous! =) Enjoy yourself!

msmeri: If we were closer you would be welcome to the squash =) I grilled some last night and it was wonderful, I really enjoyed it. The garden is serving two purposes this year, it gives me something to do since I am laid off and it is really helping the food bill! I have some red tomatoes already and am in heaven with those... I love them peeled and sliced and then put just a bit of light mayo on them with some pepper... very yummy.

Judy: How are you doing? Are you swimming this year? You have a pool in your yard, or is that someone else I am thinking about? What big plans do you have coming up?

All: I have actually found a walking partner for the mornings, it is gal that I met on a forum that lives close by, she is struggling with her weight and has epilepcy (sp?) so she has a companion dog that will be walking with us. It is a great way to get to meet other people and exchange ideas, etc. I could not find a walking group but this is a start =)

Lin S
07-29-2009, 01:23 AM
Hi, Everyone,

Ms. Meri--I LOVE oatmeal. I need to make some. I do steel-cut oats and they take a long time to cook, but they taste so much better. The thing is, you can cook a huge batch and freeze it in individual serving sizes. Reheat and you have way healthier "instant" oatmeal than the packaged stuff. :cool:

Thanks for the snack list. A lot of those would be terrific "mini-meals". :)

Bandit--here's wishing you some :goodluck: with your weighin.

:congrat: , Princess, on staying OP and exercising. It's often tough to do when we're stressed.

Today turned out to be tougher than I thought it would be. My son chose a place he'd never been to and they pretty much do burgers and fries. They have other things, which I took advantage of, but they don't put much effort into the chicken wrap and salad. So, I was not feeling very satisfied when I got done eating. I'd already eaten one of the 2-point granola bars I brought. By 3 pm, I was starving and ate the other one. So far, so good.

Then I got downtown and walked to the bank. On the way back, Peet's Coffee & Tea called out to me because I was hungry again. It was the energy output for the day that was causing my problem. I went inside and picked a cookie that was pretty high in calories and fat, but most of it was because it's an almond cookie--which means it's also high in protein, and that's what I needed. I went ahead and ate it.

That would have been fine. But I walked in the door and dh said, "I bet you're tired." I was. I'd walked more than 2 hours. My pedometer didn't count it all, so I don't know the exact distance I walked. He said, "So, let's go to Red Robin." Red Robin is close and we live in an area that's mostly industrial, which means Red Robin is the convenient place to go. I shook my head, not really wanting to eat out. But I was super tired, so I agreed.

I didn't know what I was going to do and I feared I would really derail myself because I was too hungry and too tired. You know, that HALT thing? Well, they have their nutrition menu on the tables. It doesn't have the total fat grams or fiber, but there's enough to get a feel for what might work. Because I was so craving protein, I went with the steak sliders and substituted a side salad for the fries, w/dressing on the side. I ate one slider, which is plenty of food. When I calculated my points for the day, I discovered I'd not needed to use as many weekly points as I'd feared. And the activity calculator counted 7 activity points, which is why I needed a bit more food today.

All in all, it worked out fine. We need a smiley for: "Whew!"

Keep on turtlin': :balloons:

Princess1122
07-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Morning all and happy Wednesday... not much going on here today... just trying to stay on plan and get my walking in.

Lin: Sounds like you had some challenges but did really well. Good job!

Have a great day everyone!
Princess

msmeri
07-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Lin ~ I looked for the steel cut Oprah is always talking about in my grocery store. I couldn't find it. Is it just in health food stores? You don't have to buy it in big old mondo quantities do you? What do you freeze you individual servings in? Just a ziplock bag? I will look again. What is the added nutritional benefits compared to old fashoned oats?

:stir:

Weigh in tonight
so today is avoid salt day LOL

bandit2
07-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Morning, turtles:

Princess - you sound like you are really on track & motivated. That is great!

Msmeri - thanks for the snacks, I can use some of those this weekend when I am away.

Lin - good going with your choices when eating out. That is pretty hard to do when you are really tired & hungry. Good for you!

It is raining up here AGAIN - crazy this year.

Have my w/i tonigh & hoping to be down maybe abit. But I really don't think I will be up. Here's hoping!

Have a great OP day & lets keep motivated!

Itryharder
07-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi All,
I'm back from my WI and I'm going the wrong direction. I was up .2# ---not bad. Really watching it yesterday was a huge help. I'm three pounds from 30# down and I'm determined.
Crazy amounts of activity. Next week I'll be with my college roommates for a few days. All meals will be eaten out, so I'll have to be on my best behavior. I know I can do it. It's especially good that this weekend is clear. I can use the relaxation and the staying OP.

You all are doing great. This site has been hopping and I can't respond to all you've written. However, it's such a source of encouragement and good advice and great eating tips----I love you all!
Judy
234.6/207/204 and down to 30# down. :cool:

Lin S
07-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi, Everyone,

Thank you, Princess. I hope your day goes really well. :)

Ms. Meri, I looked in my cupboard to see what kind I have. Currently I have McCann's Irish steel cut oats. I've seen those everywhere. It comes in a metal can. They're expensive because they're imported. But next time I'm buying Bob's Red Mill at Whole Foods. Bob's is an American company based in Oregon and it costs less for the same thing. Don't get the Gluten-free, though. As far as I know, oats don't have contain gluten and the gluten-free is more expensive. My guess is that their gluten-free oats are processed with machinery that's not used for wheat, rye, or barley, to avoid cross-contamination.

You can cook them in a crock pot on low overnight, as well as on the stove. If you use the crock pot, you might want to at least double the recipe, especially if you have a large pot. You have to make sure you have enough volume so it doesn't burn. You can freeze them in Ziploc bags or freezer containers. I like the bags because they take up less space in my tiny freezer.

Here's a nutrition comparison:

Bob's Redmill Steel Cut Oats:
serving size - 1/4 c dry
calories - 140
fat - 2.5g
carbs - 27g
fiber - 4g
sugars - 0g
protein - 6g

Quaker Old-fashioned Oats:
serving size - 1/4c dry calories - 75
fat - 1.5g
carbs - 13.5g
fiber - 2g
sugars - 0.5g
protein - 2.5g

So, they have more fiber and protein and less sugar. They're higher in calories and fat, but 1/4 cup dry is too much after it's cooked. Steel-cut oats need more liquid than rolled oats and they swell up more. A half-size serving with some milk and fruit is plenty. I like to put cinnamon and vanilla in mine, and a touch of sugar or maple syrup. Enjoy!! :D

Good luck with your weighin. You, too, Bandit. I hope everyone has a good weighin this week. :D

Judy, .2# is a mere 3.2 oz. I don't think that's a large enough gain to worry about. I love that my scale weighs in half pound increments, not tenth of a pound. I don't want to get freaked over tiny amounts of weight gains that are probably nothing more than a bit too much salt for dinner the night before.

As for restaurant meals, I'm becoming a bit of an expert these days. I'd rather cook at home, but this week's been impossible. My best tip--lots of salad w/dressing on the side. Watch for things like cheese, bacon, nuts, etc. in the salad. If you're having a higher point main dish, make sure the salad is all vegetables. Eat it first so you're not as hungry when you tuck into the higher calorie main dishes. Eat 1/3-1/2, no more. And good luck!! You can reach that 30# goal!! :)

I walked 10 activity points worth just to do my job today. It's the last time until next summer I have to do the extra bit. I have 25 activity points for the week and it's not over yet. Today I ate a bit more than I'd like and I still have dinner to go. I'm not worried. I have weekly points left and I'm eating a very light meal tonight because I'm not very hungry. I think I'll be fine.

Princess1122
07-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Morning all and happy Wednesday to everyone! Cloudy and overcast here but I can still get out for a couple of walks so that is a great thing. I was supposed to meet up with a gal to walk at the high school track, we both need a walking partner and are on a weight lose journey. She has cancelled on me twice so far, will give her another opportunity and if that does not work out then I will move on, I don't have time to play games... I have a "mother of the groom" dress to fit into :D

Food was pretty good yesterday but I did find myself reaching for snacks when I was bored so will try hard not to let that happen for the rest of the day.

Judy: You are doing good and will hit the 30# mark very soon.... that small gain is not a problem, you are doing so great!

Bandit: Good luck at your W/I, I am kind of eager for mine this week and I am not usually like that... LOL.

msmeri: How are you doing? any plans for the upcoming weekend? I will be picking lots of veggies here soon so feel free to stop on by... LOL.

Lin: I have had the steel cut oats before, they are good and very different from regular rolled oats. wow, you walk a lot oat work! When is your W/I day?

All: Hope everyone is doing well, have a great day and enjoy what is left of summer, it seems to be rolling by fast!

Itryharder
07-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi Turtles,
We've gotten long, so I'll start a new thread. See you all at #220
Bale of Turtles Kicking It!
Judy