Weight Loss Support - How long have you been at it?

View Full Version : How long have you been at it?

Bry1638
07-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Aaah I'm tired of dieting, it's just taking so looooonnnng! I started thinking about my weight late fall last year, lost 10-12 lbs or so. Started seriously mid January, have lost almost 50 so far. But still I have so much left to go. I was hoping to be thinnish by Christmas but it's obviously going to take longer than that. Please, feel my pain? I want to know how long you've been doing it? If you're at goal, how long did it take? What did you lose??

TJFitnessDiva
07-13-2009, 10:54 PM
It's taken me since May of 2008 to get to where I am today....I figure that I didn't get fat over night and no matter how I wished the fat would not melt off that fast ;)

Patience grasshopper :lol: I'm not a very patient person either so I feel ya!

mandalinn82
07-13-2009, 10:54 PM
Well, I'm at goal - but I'm still at it!

Weight loss is one thing. That took me about 2 years, in total. But weight MAINTENANCE...well, that's going to take me forever (it's either that, or put the weight back on!). So I'm never going to be "done" because my new healthy habits are permanent.

Iconised Ghost
07-13-2009, 10:57 PM
its taken me since feb 2008 to get this far :) Thats including a 6month plateau though >.<

Mikayla
07-13-2009, 10:59 PM
I feel your pain! It looks like we are on the same sort of time line. I started in Feb and I am officially bored to tears. I'm just going to keep plugging away though and hope I can get excited about weigh loss again sometime in future.

In order to help myself out I have set a few mini goals...I want to be a size 16 by Aug 13th(Keith Urban concert and I want to buy a new outfit)and I want to be a size 14 by Oct 1st (Taylor Swift concert and again I want a new outfit) I'm also hoping to be thin ish by Christmas(I'm thinking a size 12) But to me that will be thin ish, I haven't been a size 12 since the 9th grade. :-)

NicoleNYC
07-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Let's see...I was born in 1973...

DCHound
07-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Began August 13, 2008, lost 99 lbs in 6 mo, plateaued for 3 months, started losing again slowly. I've lost about 120 lbs in 11 months. But I started out at close to 400 lbs, you lose faster the heavier you are. (Usually)

amynbebes
07-13-2009, 11:25 PM
I've been at it since the end of January of this year and am down 35.5 lbs. I too had a date in mind to be at goal and don't see that occuring but still, it's all for the greater good. We'll do it even if it takes longer than we would like :)

BarbPA
07-13-2009, 11:33 PM
off and on...all my life. :dizzy: I've been serious and smart about it for the past 11 months...and will be for the rest of my lifetime! :)

shrinkingleah
07-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Today marks 7 months for me. I've lost 37 pounds, but I haven't budged in about a month now, it goes up and down but not any further down then 214. Blah! I get annoyed, but I'm in it for life, after I'm at my goal it'll be maintinance, which will be just as hard so I'm not in such a hurry, haha.

Don't worry, if you keep working at it, you'll get there. Someday. :)

Moralia
07-14-2009, 12:38 AM
9 weeks and a few days for me... i'm down 21lbs. I *REALLY* want to be at my goal before Sept.1st.. we shall see.. i'm not losing nearly as fast as I was when I began.. but if I were to hit 135 by beginning of Sept i'd be pretty damn happy too!!! ;) :carrot:

Star2Be
07-14-2009, 12:45 AM
As my sig says, I officially started my "journey" on July 18th, 2008. I don't know my exact weight right now because I haven't been weighing very often since I hit maintenance, but I DID reach a low of ~147 lbs a couple weeks back, which would have put me at a 116 lb loss, total.

Wow, it just occurred to me that I'm getting REALLY close to my one-year mark! How exciting! And now I guess I can look forward to a lifetime of maintenance... :dizzy:

Heather
07-14-2009, 12:45 AM
I lost the first 100 pounds in a little over a year, and then another 20 pounds in 4-5 months. But then maintenance. I have to keep at it, as others have said. I gained BACK 30 pounds by getting lax...

Glory87
07-14-2009, 02:00 AM
It's been almost exactly 5 years since I changed my life and how I ate forever. 70 lbs lost, over 4 years maintenance, still going strong!

Idealmuse
07-14-2009, 02:09 AM
15 months to go from 302 to 186
9 months to go from 186 to 239
... And so far about 2 months to go from 239 to 217 (now)
Probably 6-10 more months more before hitting maintenance.

KforKitty
07-14-2009, 06:14 AM
As others have indicated the time is irrelevant as there is no end. Vigilance means a lifetime of taking care with what you eat. Its taken me over two years to lose 115lbs, I have about 4lbs to lose to reach my initial goal. As I've plateaud for a month I now know that there's a fine line between maintenance and weightloss that I'm going to have to tread from now on.

Kitty

Arctic Mama
07-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Started Weightwatchers in December 08 and lost the same five to ten pounds a few times, found something that worked better for me in April 09 and despite being a little lax on the exercise part I am still down 25 pounds from December, with a lifetime to go! I want to be down 30 more by Christmas, my ideal is under 200 by then, but honestly any weight permanently gone is a celebration for me :).

Though I have been heavy in varying degrees for seven years I wasn't in the right place in my mind to fix it until now.

MrsWolf
07-14-2009, 08:17 AM
I just had my 51 week weigh in and I have lost 84.4 lbs. I started on July 22, 2008 with just under 100 lbs to lose. I now have less than 10 lbs to reach my goal. I hope to get there by the end of September, since I have seen a real slow down in the last 10 lbs and expect the next 10 to be even slower. Still, I am ecstatic as I sit here in my size small shirt and size 9 pants. Even if the last 10 lbs takes 6 months, who cares? I am in this for life!

Peace, Heather

CyndiM
07-14-2009, 08:21 AM
I lost 80 lbs in 10 months and have been maintaining for a little over a year. It will last as long as I do because, as others have said, if it doesn't that weight will find me again and I'm not yo yoing anymore.

WhitePicketFences
07-14-2009, 08:39 AM
I've been at it for 10.5 months (so 8.5 pounds per month, when averaged out).

I'm 28 years old so ... only 40-70 years to go!

WhitePicketFences
07-14-2009, 08:45 AM
And yes, I feel your pain! I accepted right away, this time, that it was just going to take awhile. Still, it is not fun being so strict with oneself and yet, still fat. It is easier for me to be patient lately, now that I am feeling 'normal.' (Although of course now I am feeling like I can't wait to be downright thin, not just a-okay -- guess that is how it goes).

The best thing I can think of to tell you is that as long as you plug away it is downright surprising how time passes. My husband even said that to me, that it didn't feel like it had been so long. I instantly said, "I know!" but then remembered how loooong it did feel at times, and how it was such ... dark days feeling circa last fall.

Lori Bell
07-14-2009, 10:03 AM
It took me 16 months exactly to go from 333 to 158. I count calories and was/am totally faithful and dedicated 99% of the time. (Meaning I have only "cheated" a handful of times). My way isn't for many, but I have found I can't eat certain foods, or it makes me crazy with cravings. There is no "moderation" in my vocabulary when it comes to sugar. I am an addict plain and simple.

I am on day 11 of maintaince ;), and I have found it to be very emotional for me. Finding the perfect amount of food vs. calories vs. exercise has been a real challenge. I have a feeling this is going to be more difficult than losing it ever was. BUT, it is SO worth it, as my body feels GREAT! (Even though my mind is a little overwhelmed right now)

Onederchic
07-14-2009, 10:09 AM
I started July 20, 2008 at 330 pounds. Before I stopped utilizing the scale (for personal reasons), I was at 200. I have went from a pant size of 28 and can now wear 16 and sometimes even a 14. So, to answer your question, it will be 1 year in 6 days that I have been getting my life and my health back on track and I'm still chugging along.

kiramira
07-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Kind of a loaded question. We all celebrate and, well, ENVY the huge weight loss in short timeframe stories and want nothing best for those fortunates amongst us. Others spend a lifetime trying many, many things and lose and regain and lose and regain forEVER. And we want nothing but the best for those turtles amongst us. And we all want to be hares but are frustrated if it turns out that we are turtles. And we get tired. And frustrated....

So perhaps the questions you are REALLY asking are:

1. Will I EVER lose the weight? I've been at it FOREVER and it is just, well, TIRING.
To this I'd have to say YES the weight WILL come off if you are dedicated and on plan and regimented. And in the timeline that your BODY chooses, provided that you stick to an eating and exercise plan.
and
2. IS there an end in sight?
NO the journey NEVER ends, because weight loss like weight GAIN is always, always possible. Sucks, but it's true.

Give that there is NEVER an end in sight, stop worrying about the time it is taking! If you are doing what needs to be done (and not what you THINK needs to be done), it'll happen.

But sometimes it is about the JOURNEY, NOT the DESTINATION...

:hug:

Kira

2. HA

MotoMichelle
07-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Good post, Kira! :cp:

I changed my life in April of 2008. There are times when things go smoothly and times when things are rough (like now), but I just keep trying to move the ball forward.

I know I'll eventually hit goal and then it'll be on to maintaining. I will always have to be conscious of what I'm eating and how much I'm exercising. Not being conscious of it is how I got to 250 in the first place. ;)

dragonwoman64
07-14-2009, 11:53 AM

:lol: I'll give myself about 10 years from date of birth! ha!

loved your post, Kira.

not to discourage anyone (including myself!), but my experience has been different.

am yo-yo'er here, and have lost many, many lbs over the years since I was a teen. I got serious again in 2002, and slowly dropped my weight, was not a years time for me, and I have not gotten to goal (ah duh, heh heh).

I hung out in the 250s for several years (gulp). I kept with the exercise, and worked on improving it. Started working with a trainer for a few months the beginning of this year. I've recently started tackling the eating more seriously, beginning of June.

I have trouble with consistency with the diet. I'm really happy to be in the lower half of the 240s, will be ecstatic to be in the 230s, 4 lbs to go.

nelie
07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
A little over 5 years. I've been losing and maintaining my weight loss since May 2004.

Thighs Be Gone
07-14-2009, 12:00 PM
I am not at goal. It took me 12 months to go from 215 to 132.

p7eggyc
07-14-2009, 12:07 PM
I started in May 2004 and lost around 30-35 lbs by that October. Pretty much kept it off until this last winter and I'm back to trying to drop back down into my clothes (I haven't weighed myself for fear that I'll throw in the towel for good). Would like to be feeling really good by a trip I have scheduled the end of August. I'm already feeling a lot better and I got back on track just after Memorial Day.

That all said, I'd definitely encourage you to start taking a look at those things you are doing that are chafing and see if you can find another way. Maintenance doesn't look much different as I can attest. I wasn't exactly eating entire chocolate cakes last winter and the weight came back on a whole lot easier than it seemed to come off. You have to find those compromises that work. If you feel comfortable, share a bit about what is 'bugging' you enough for you to wish it was over and maybe there are some alternatives we can suggest.

Peg

BillBlueEyes
07-14-2009, 12:30 PM
I've been on my new journey for 3 years and 10 months; 2 years and 4 months at maintenance weight.

My next big goal is FIVE years on the journey - will then seem to feel like it's here to stay.

p7eggyc
07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
LOL at your siggy Bill! Wallow away...maybe write a glowing account so that we might all live vicariously! hehe

peccavi
07-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I've been at this for a little over a year. I didn't have on official start date, just slowly started improving my diet one thing at time when I realized how far I had let myself go. I've lost 51 pounds in the past year or so, so not quite 1 pound per week. I've had several plateaus, but I haven't given up!

joyinSF
07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
i started exercising every day since June 17 of this year.. i would lose three pounds then gain it back. still exercising my butt off!

beerab
07-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Pft I'm terrible, started in December then have lost and gained but overall have lost over 20 lbs :( It's okay though- overall habits have changed for the better and I know I'll get down to the weight I want to be eventually :D

LisaF
07-14-2009, 02:05 PM
It's been two-ish years for me, which averages out to about one pound a week. (Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't get anywhere losing one pound a week!) Sure, it's been slow going, but compared to my other options (doing nothing or getting bigger), it's the far better way to spend two years.

Lisa

sprklemajik
07-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I've been going at this for about a year and have lost 60 lbs. I will continue this for, well the rest of my life. :) Hopefully in another year I will be close to goal. I'm working on my patience for this, I've been heavy my whole life, so it won't leave quickly. Like LisaF above, slow and steady for me is much better than nothing.

CakeBatter
07-14-2009, 03:02 PM
I officially started on Aug 28th 2008. I have lost 44 pounds to date. And I stopped worrying so much i guess. When a pound finally comes I will be estactic in the meantime I just keep on going.....

cfmama
07-14-2009, 04:05 PM
I am not at goal yet.

I started this journey on September 27, 2008 and I've lost 132 and a bit pounds in just under 10 months. I've got 94 pounds left to lose and I hope to be at goal by THIS TIME next year. So I'm looking at another year (hopefully) of losing and then maintenance for the rest of my life.

jelder227
07-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Started June 2008, and lost 32 pounds by November. Went to Colorado for Thanksgiving, my husband and my parents were in town for Christmas - gained 6 pounds over the holiday. Come January, turns out my husband was having problems getting back to work, etc. etc - (lots of excuses - we all have them) - didn't get back to it and started gaining back - at my standard 1 pound per month. I NEVER gain fast - 1 pound a month adds up though! So by June 2009 - net loss was 20 pounds. And I have started again. Now I'm back down 6 pounds.

What I'm working on hardest though is trying to get in good shape - that is very important to me and I'm enjoying the results of that even more than the weight loss. And trying to develop tools that will keep me from putting on that 1 lb per month after I lose the weight.

sandygomez6557
07-14-2009, 06:04 PM
I started about 6 months ago and loss 10 pounds. I stopped about a month ago but now I'm trying to get back into it.

Bry1638
07-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Thank you for all the responses! Helps to know we are all stuck in this together!

akacutie
07-14-2009, 11:48 PM
I started again in Sept. 08 by joining a gym and setting a fitness routine...I didnt' start watching my food intake until 1/28/09- I have gone from 248 to 198.6 in that time so about 9 months to lose about 50 lbs....

I have a ways to go, but I am in it for the long haul so it doesn't matter how it takes me... :D

jamsk8r
07-15-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm not tired of eating right or exercising. I am tired of trying to tweak the diet and exercise to get these last few pounds off. It's like, I'm already eating clean, and exercising my butt off, what else can I do? I guess all I can do is be patient, and keep working it. The weight is still coming off, it's just so freaking slow at this point, that it seems it will take another 8 months to get the last 15 off, if I even get it that fast. Some days I consider just tossing the scale, and living my life, but I have set a weight goal for a competition I want to do next year that separates women into weight classes, so I have a bit to go for that. I'm trying to reach that weight this year, so I can learn to maintain it well before the competition comes around. I certainly hope that maintaining is at least a little less stressful. I don't plan to change my eating habits, other than to add fat/protein if it drops too low, but so far, that hasnt been a problem I've had to deal with. :lol3:

RubyGuggenheim
07-15-2009, 07:48 AM
I've been at it six and a half months (started January 1st, 2009), and have lost 51 lbs so far, which evens out to about 1.8 pounds a week. I've been extraordinarily lucky in that I haven't hit a plateau yet, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't!

carobell
08-23-2009, 10:40 PM
I've been at this since I stepped off the plane after Peace Corps in July of 2007, but only got serious about it in October of 2008.
It takes as long as it takes. Enjoy the journey as much as you enjoy the destination.

Smiling_Sara
08-23-2009, 10:52 PM
started half heartily in the summer of 2007 when I was fitted for my sisters wedding and they told me I needed the largest dress they might of had to add material. Really started getting to full force in Sept of 2007, after going to my annual checkup and was the highest I've ever been.

CakeBatter
08-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I have losing and gaining my adolescent and adult life. Then on August 28, 2008 I got up early and walked into my first WW meeting. I have doing it ever since. I have a gained a pound here and there but overall I am down 46 pounds and I don't care how long it takes to get where I really want to be because I am NOT going back. I think that is what I was missing the first 20 tiimes I lost weight, I always had a deadline. So I asked myself "If I plan on being this way forever, why do I have a deadline"....

I am very impatient as well and I totally feel your pain. You have just got to look at it from a different perspective.

3 days until my One Year mark!

ernurse
08-24-2009, 11:16 AM
After reading about all the time we spend doing this I am truely amazed. I could say I started WW August 2008 to may 2009 but in reality, I've had difficulty with food all my life, so 34 years.

And it is interesting that we have deadlines or we have goals of losing some number of pounds by whatever date. Ladies, this is lifelong............Yes I have a goal, to get to my predaughter weight of 130. But I have the rest of my life, to maintain, so it is lifelong. Maybe thinking this way allows me to forgive myself after I fall off the WW wagon and get back on again to lose weight. Buying a snug pair of jeans and not being able to button them also motivated me to get back on the wagon after falling off for about 6 weeks. hugs to every soul

pegdav
08-24-2009, 12:25 PM
I've lost 31.5 pounds in the last 11 months. Slow, but every day still feels like a success. Over the past 3 months I began running. I've only lost about 3 pounds since that time, but my body is very different. My initial goal is 2.5 pounds away. I am hoping/praying I hit that goal by my year anniversary. But, I've set a new goal to shed an additional 15. That may take me 2 years, but as long as I'm going down -- no matter how slowly -- I'm not going up. That's what I continue to focus on.

kymccc
08-24-2009, 12:31 PM
I started the couch25K program to begin running five weeks ago. It is an amzing plan.. I this the only thing I have never tried before. I never believed I could run. I walked, did elliptical and aerobics. That really did nothing for me like this running is doing. I am continuing the plans 25 minute walk/run intervals and can do 2 minute sprints(5.4) as of this weekend. I do not run outside, only on the treadmill at the gym(thus far).
I am getting much smaller(down 2 clothing sizes in 5 weeks!), but the scale is not really moving that quickly(10 pounds). I also do 20 minutes of weights 4 times per week after my run. The inches are really falling off though and I feel it more every single day.
I have 60 pounds to lose and I know this method of exercise will help me get there. I also count calories(1600-1700) and track on My Daily Plate. I stick with portion control and eating a morning, afternoon and light evening snack in addition to three meals.

Keep going! We are all in this together!:D

rachinma
08-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Um, since 2005? ;)

Seriously, I started January 6 to really work on losing weight in a healthy, consistent way. My son just turned 6yo yesterday, so I decided it was finally time to get these last pounds off, once and for all.

In late 2005, I weighed 186.
In January 2009, I weighted 178.
Today, I weigh 160.
I'm hoping to get to 145 by Christmas.

It is a long journey, if you are changing your lifestyle and hope to keep it off. Hang in there. 50# is excellent work!

juliastl27
08-24-2009, 02:23 PM
7 months. down 40. i feel this way all the time. its so annoying to have dieted for SO long and STILL be fat. you just gotta keep pushing!

Nate0201
08-24-2009, 05:02 PM
I haven't been at it to long really. I started in the first couple weeks of March and did my own thing dropped 40 pounds. I got stuck at 320 for awhile so I got more serious and have hit the gym since like the second week of July and lost another 20 maybe more. I still have a long way to go 110 pounds but it will all come off at some point.

Marms
08-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Started 11 months ago and have lost 42 lbs. I was hoping it would be faster because I'm getting a little antsy to be at goal, but overall I'm just happy I'm no longer overweight.

ButterflyDiva
08-25-2009, 09:44 AM
I don't think of it as a diet as I do learning to eat better and when I started losing weight.
I started officially losing in 2004 at the weight of 170lbs now 5 years later I'm in the lower 130s. of course there have been plateaus some lasting for weeks, others for months. Whenever I have a setback (big or small) or I get tired of watching what I eat I just remind myself how much closer I am to my goal than I was when I started.

shcirerf
08-25-2009, 10:08 AM
:rofl:

I was born in 59.:yikes:

Seriously, I've done it off and on all my life.

This time, I'm making that BREAK FOR FREEDOM, and TAKING MY POWER BACK!:carrot:

I'm no longer going to fight it, I'm going to embrace it, love it and live it.:D

Plus, I'm gonna have Jillian abs! Whoo Hoo!