Weight Loss Support - Something you WON'T miss

View Full Version : Something you WON'T miss

Niecy
07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
I know we tend to talk about the things we miss the most during weight loss mode, but as I am sitting here eating lunch I am thinking one thing is for sure...I WON'T miss all the tuna, lol. I am eating it about 2, sometimes 3 (but no more than that) each week. Most everything else I intend to stick with, the measuring and weighing of food, the weighing of myself, the exercise (maybe not quite everyday), the calorie counting, but the tuna is just getting YUK!

How 'bout you? What are you all discovering you will NOT maintain?

joyinSF
07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
i wont miss eating salad..i mean, day after day after day, just eating salad with low fat dressing..ugh...i cant take it anymore...

Pas de Chaton
07-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Honestly, nothing. I'm trying not to deny myself anything, and there's really not a lot I don't like to begin with! lol

Except maybe the fish. I have tilapia about 3 times a week because it's the only seafood I can handle (it's very mild-tasting) but I'm getting so used to it that I'll probably continue eating it during maintenance.

Thighs Be Gone
07-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Niecy, if you don't like tuna why are you eating it so often? There are lots of other fish to try. :)

time2lose
07-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Nothing. I will eat something that I don't like for a few times to see if I can develop a liking for it, but I quit eating it if I don't start liking it. One of my main goals is to stop the yo-yo weight. I am only willing to make changes that I can continue for a lifetime.

I will let you know in 4 or 5 years if that works out. :)

JayEll
07-13-2009, 01:39 PM
I have liked everything I eat, both during weight loss and maintenance. I was on a plan once where it was egg whites every day. Yuck. I hate egg whites. I could hardly wait to be "done." Same with deli sliced turkey breast. :P Can you guess that once I stopped that plan, my weight came back?

Basically, if you don't want to eat it, you shouldn't be eating so much of it. There are many good foods besides tuna and salad with lowfat dressing! :yes:

Jay

Dedge
07-13-2009, 01:44 PM
I WILL NOT miss being uncomfortable!

LittleSmall
07-13-2009, 01:46 PM
I WON'T miss lemon water. You know what I mean, drinking water with a lemon wedge in it. Ack! Anything 'lemony' my lip starts to curl into dislike. I used to love it now ... NOW ... I just can't handle it anymore. Ha!

Tomato
07-13-2009, 01:50 PM
I have a feeling I will be on this lifestyle for as long as I possibly can, so I am not planning to get rid of anything. Fortunately, I like tuna and I like tilapia, and I love salmon. I do have to admit that occasionally I feel like I don't want to see another chicken breast ever again but when that happens I switch to beef or port for a short period of time and then I am ready for chicken again.
My diet is actually very repetitive but I am very used to it and so far I cannot complain. I just wish there was some room in it for MickeyD's french fries, LOL!

CLCSC145
07-13-2009, 01:52 PM
I gave up the mass quantities of plain water everyone says you should drink to lose weight. It makes me gag. I drink a couple of glasses a day of sparkling, sodium free water, but otherwise I get my liquids elsewhere. Sipping constantly on water makes me feel like I'm on a diet and I don't want to feel that way. So I kicked it to the curb and don't regret it a bit. I was down 4.2 pounds this week. I don't think it's hurting my weight loss. :D

Niecy
07-13-2009, 01:55 PM
That is a good question/comment for those that wonder why I am still eating it...I honestly don't know! LOL

I used to eat it all the time. Before they came out with the warning about mercury toxicity and pregnancy, I was eating it almost everyday for lunch with my 2nd child.

I have just recently developed a strong dislike for it in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Thighs, you are right. I need to find a new fish, lol. I guess the tuna is easy, especially on my low cal days, I just open the can, add a little FF mayo and it's done.

I was telling my mom about this today and she said salad was hers. She doesn't want to eat so much of it. Salads are okay for me, you can do ANYTHING with a salad. But she mentioned shrimp so I think I am going to try a shrimp salad.

But the tuna has definitely got to go. It just doesn't taste as good to me anymore.

Niecy
07-13-2009, 01:57 PM
HAHA Dedge; now THAT is a good one! :)

Lissus
07-13-2009, 02:12 PM
I wont miss looking in the mirror and going "ick!!"

As far as food, I refuse to eat something I don't enjoy. I'll experiment and try something a few times, but if it's not something I'll add permanantly to my regime, then it's off the list.

I just wont choke something down just because it's good for me. I'd rather make adjustments elsewhere so that I can enjoy what I'm eating.

beerab
07-13-2009, 02:19 PM
There really isn't something I won't miss because I don't eat what I don't like. I'd say there are a handful of things I don't like.

I used to not like egg whites but dressing them up with some salsa really helped :D

nelie
07-13-2009, 02:50 PM
The way to maintain your weight loss is to do exactly what you did while you were losing weight so... If you don't like something and there are good alternatives for it, then I wouldn't eat it.

When I went vegetarian, one of my greatest moments was thinking I wouldn't have to try to like fish any more.

Heather
07-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm with those who say that if you don't like it, don't eat it NOW -- find something else!

I often have turkey sandwiches for lunch during the week. I like them and they are easy to prep. But sometimes I get tired of turkey, and then I try some other choices.

When we get to maintenance, we can't just go back to "old' eating habits that got us fat in the first place. But that doesn't mean we have to eat foods we hate!

Pita09
07-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I refuse to eat foods that I don't love. There are so many choices and low-calories ways of eating that there is no need to be unhappy with meals. This is a way of life, not a diet. Also, from what I've learned on this board, maintenance not only doesn't look different from losing weight, it can often be much harder. I'm preparing myself for the long-haul.

I suppose if I had to pick one thing I won't miss it's the complete diligence that I do right now with calorie counting. I'm hoping that by the time I reach maintenance I will have learned enough about what I eat that I won't have to weigh and record every bite of food. But that is only if I don't start gaining the weight back.;)

HungryHungryHippo
07-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I will not miss being a teetotaler! I won't be drinking Mojitos, and Appletinis, and grande Frozen Margaritas anymore, but I've been collecting some lo-cal drink recipes that I look forward to drinking in moderation--along with light beer and wine.

Niecy
07-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I can see where the sliced turkey would get old also. It really tastes nothing like the kind of turkey from Thanksgiving dinner, haha.

I thought about buying the canned chicken, but I actually LOVE chicken and have it many nights for dinner. I didn't want to push myself into hating it by having it for both lunch and dinner. I don't do red meat very often, sometimes lean ground beef and sometimes even a steak for dinner. But I just can't cook steak very well, it turns out all tough and chewy.

Like some of you, the water is another thing for me that I just cannot force. The vitamin waters are good and are not that bad in calories. The sugar, I am not sure of.

I am taking everyones advice today and throwing out the tuna unless I get a craving for it, which I doubt will happen. No sense in being unhappy or unsatisfied after eating.

Wannabeskinny
07-13-2009, 05:01 PM
I refuse to eat anything I don't like so I don't consider it a "diet" I consider it a "live-it" because it has to be something I can do, like, and continue doing and liking. I am getting rather bored with ham though, it's one of my low-cal safety foods (I hate turkey!).

As for the tuna, why not buy some fresh tuna steaks? They're amazing compared to that sawdust-like stuff in a can. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, oregano, and lots of pepper and sear on either side. It can be served nearly raw in the middle or well done. I always make an extra tuna steak at dinner and then chop it up into tuna salad for the next day.

I simply cannot stomach tilapia... just knowing that it's a bottom feeder fish that will eat anything anything anything in its way is enough to deter me.

Niecy
07-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Wannabeskinny:

Really? I did not know that about tilapia! No wonder it is one of the cheaper selections of fish.

THANKS for the tip about the fresh tuna. I was afraid that was the case because chicken is the same way. Out of the can is awful to me.

I like baked catfish or grouper but my husband likes fried catfish. I can't say I don't like it, so I haven't bought any in forever because I just don't want to be around it right now...outta sight, outta mind. I guess I could TRY to reintroduce it to the freezer and see how it goes. But if I feel the slightest temptation, it's going back out, lol.

JulieJ08
07-13-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't miss calorie counting. It was useful. Might be useful again at times. But I lost the last 20 pounds without it and I don't miss it, that's for sure!

joyinSF
07-13-2009, 05:34 PM
julie, i second that too..i wont miss calorie counting or counting how long i have to stay on the damn elliptical machine..lol

merose
07-13-2009, 05:37 PM
I totally get the egg whites thing.
Which is why I have already given them up! I love eggs, especially soft boiled. So I'm eating them. I want to be living this way forever, I really don't want being healthy to become something I abhor.
I eat all of the egg, just less of them in total.

I wont miss the pressure of being the 'girl who is losing weight' though. Too many patronising looks. You know, you can just hear them thinking 'good girl, it's about time you got yourself under control, like me.'

happeningf
07-13-2009, 05:45 PM
You know when you're going out somewhere, whether to a party or to see friends or your boyfriend, and everything you put on just makes you uncomfortable? They just feel tight, you feel constricted, nothing looks right, you'd rather be at home, hidden, in sweat pants or effing naked and alone for that matter? I WON'T MISS THAT!!!

I'm in size 6-8 jeans now, and I've gained back a few pounds (4), so if I even drink 12 oz of water in these jeans, I get SO uncomfortable! If that isn't motivation, I don't know what is. Throw out anything loose or big! Have no fallback clothes!

seagirl
07-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Like most others, I'm not eating anything (or depriving myself of anything) that won't stay with me for the rest of my life. Tuna fits the bill sometimes, with some chopped jalapenos for extra kick.

The best thing about "weight loss mode" is that I'm eating 4 avocados a week (totally within my calorie range) and losing. I will keep eating those as I maintain!

Thighs Be Gone
07-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I refuse to eat foods that I don't love. There are so many choices and low-calories ways of eating that there is no need to be unhappy with meals. This is a way of life, not a diet. Also, from what I've learned on this board, maintenance not only doesn't look different from losing weight, it can often be much harder. I'm preparing myself for the long-haul.

;)

Great words there! Just sign my name along with the one above!

Elladorine
07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm experimenting with food all over again to figure out what I like when it comes to being healthy, so I'm not really sure yet.

Unfortunately, I developed a seafood allergy a few years back so that cuts out a big chunk of my choices of things to eventually get sick of. :lol:

rockinrobin
07-13-2009, 08:42 PM
As for the tuna, why not buy some fresh tuna steaks?

I LOVE fresh tuna. But at $20.00 a pound, it's just not feasible. Fresh tuna is a once in a while thing for me. Canned tuna is waaaaay less money and very convenient. But don't get me wrong, if I didn't like it - I wouldn't eat it.

It was VERY vital to me to find/seek out/discover DELICIOUS foods to eat - lower calorie, healthy ones that is. I was more then willing to give up certain foods in order to lose the weight and keep it off - as long as I was eating OTHER delicious foods.

I've been maintaining for 2 years now and my weight loss journey is basically identical to that of my weight maintain journey. The only difference is that I add in an occasional splurge meal and that I've pretty much got all the calorie counts down of all the foods that I'm eating so I keep a running tally in my head. Although that had happened before I hit goal.

I do tire of foods every now and then and switch them out for a while. Sometimes I bring them back in, sometimes I don't (yet). There have also been some once "safe" foods for me, that have become problematic (overeating them), so I give them up temporarily. But other then that, everything pretty much is the same.

Niecy
07-13-2009, 09:10 PM
$20.00 a pound

WHOA! I will try them, but at that price I can see that it would be an every once in while thing for me also. For a family of five, I am not sure we could have it except on a date night with just me and my husband.

I am extremely pleased to see that everyone, for the most part, is still enjoying their foods at maintenance. Very encouraging. I like egg whites, but I do have one regular egg added for the flavor. I also like chocolate pudding which I have heard other posters on the Calorie Counters thread say they can't stand it. One thing I have learned that I have to keep a handle on (now and forever) is the bread! I really thought it would be the sweets but I am finding that is not the case at all. It is not that I over-eat bread, I just notice a slight weight stall if I have more than one serving in a day over a couple of days time.

Heather
07-13-2009, 11:29 PM
julie, i second that too..i wont miss calorie counting or counting how long i have to stay on the d*** elliptical machine..lol

Sadly, I found that not calorie counting contributed to a 30 pound weight gain. You might be one who doesn't have to count in maintenance, but I still have to count. Ditto for keeping track of exercise minutes.

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but I think sometimes that if we had a more realistic idea of maintenance while losing that more of us would be successful keeping the weight off.

Meg
07-14-2009, 04:24 AM
We had a member (a dedicated member of the weightlifting forum) many years ago who once posted about how much she would miss lifting weights once she reached goal. And I just about fell out of my chair! How on earth did she miss the message that we maintainers are screaming from the rooftops:

Nothing changes!!

Nothing changes once you reach goal. You get up the next morning and do exactly the same things that you did the day before. You eat the same foods in the same amounts, do the same exercise in the same amounts, and use the same tools and strategies got you to goal in the first place. And experiment to see if you can add back a few calories or a treat meal occasionally. All while constantly monitoring, with a scale or tape measure or pants, to be sure that the weight doesn't sneak back on. Which it oh-so-easily does.

A day in my life today, more than seven years after reaching goal, is indistinguishable from a day in my life when I was actively losing weight. Same number of meals, same foods, still using Fitday, still weighing problem foods, in the gym at 5:30 every morning, planning meals in advance, packing food for when I'm away from home ... the list goes on. I'm the living, breathing example of whatever you do to lose weight is what you will do to keep it off. Forever. Or as long as you want to stay healthy and fit.

The time you're losing weight is the time to assemble your tool box of skills, strategies, tips, and coping mechanisms for the rest of your life. Weight loss is practice for keeping the weight off for the rest of your life. When you reach goal, you're at the end of Chapter One. There's a whole journey left to finish.

It took me a little less than a year to lose the weight. I've been at this maintenance stuff for more than seven years now, so it's been seven times as much maintenance as weight loss. For all of us, maintenance is going to be the longest part of the journey. And it requires just as much thought and attention as weight loss did. The good news is that we become really, really good at it and as the years go by, it tends to just become part of the background of our lives. :)

The point to all this is -- like everyone said, what you do now to lose weight is exactly what you will do to keep the weight off. Spend the time now finding foods you like and exercise you enjoy because they will be part of your new life forever. Don't do anything you don't like and think it's a temporary fix that you can let go once you reach goal. Nothing changes.

Wannabeskinny
07-14-2009, 07:01 AM
I LOVE fresh tuna. But at $20.00 a pound, it's just not feasible. Fresh tuna is a once in a while thing for me. Canned tuna is waaaaay less money and very convenient. But don't get me wrong, if I didn't like it - I wouldn't eat it.

Wow, where do you get your fresh tuna! A little goes a long way for us, I usually get about 10oz for the both of us, and never spend more than $10 on that... and there's usually left overs too that I make into a tuna salad sandwich for me the next day. Either way I was just suggesting it as a perk-me-up to get out of the canned tuna rut every once in a while.

Fish can be quite expensive in general. I find delicious frozen filets of salmon and flounder at Costco, but you can't beat the real fresh thing once in a while. Our major splurge is wild salmon at $20/lb every couple of months or a beautiful chilean sea bass steak. But most of our seafood consumption comes from small fish like red mullets, mackerel, and fresh sardines which don't cost very much (usually because Americans don't like to fuss around with these small bony fish and we get them at great prices).

WhitePicketFences
07-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Ugh, I was never one to like egg whites. I just eat whole boiled eggs -- 75 calories. Cutting those calories never seemed worth it to me.

Re: doing the same things, I will be fine to eat like I'm eating forever (and I am into repetition, also). I will always have room for my weights and body exercises. I do worry about the cardio. I won't always have this kind of time to dedicate to it. Hopefully that will be okay and as much won't be needed to maintain.

Niecy
07-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Meg, thanks for the insight and your experience!

I think I may have mis-communicated a little. I used to like tuna. Now I don't like it at all (and why I kept buying it and making myself eat it? I don't have a clue, LOL)

I will admit over and over again that maintenance scares me the most because I know it's not over. If I want to keep the body I have worked on these last several months (and a few more to go) maintenance will HAVE to be part of my life. I have totally accepted that.

I am not depriving myself of anything that I DO like, but I did find better choices. If the kids and husband are having brownies, I have a 100 calorie chocolate snack cake (now that I found those, I will NEVER stop buying them, haha). If they eat a hamburger, I eat a Boca burger. And these changes were not at all difficult so I don't believe they will be difficult to maintain.

The only thing I religiously do now that I can't see myself continuing on the same scale is the exercise. I will have to cut that back to every other day due to the school season starting back up and I am homeschooling one of my children. There is no way I can work around that, but I will work out with just as much oomph as before.

I am glad I asked this question. The consensus w/ the successful maintainers seems to be that not all that much changes. I NEVER plan to go back to eating all those horrible choices of food again, so maybe that is a good sign. I hope!

Jacquie668
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't think I'm going to miss stuff as I'm opting for a lifestyle change, not a "diet." I mean I have to live my life like this for the rest of my life for a variety of reasons, not just weight loss. I have problems that will only be manageable with a good and healthy diet. I don't want to get into the habit of thinking that once I loose my weight I go back to eating crap. I can't afford that personally as the result would be a weight gain and would also mean other problems popping up for me.

Things I gave up, or dislike now, I won't miss though. Like cheese. *shudders* I hate cheese now...I used to eat gobs of it...but the sight of it makes me go EW now. Sugary treats...I dunno...I just don't enjoy them anymore. I think of the types of cake I used to eat...ew. Really disgusting to me now. Most of the food I've given up, I choose not to eat now for a variety of reasons, but mostly it disgusts me hahahah. So, yeah I won't miss that!

Things I still struggle with, fries...love those things. Onion rings...spring rolls. What is it about fried foods that make me go "hmmmmm that sounds good!" lol

Thighs Be Gone
07-14-2009, 09:08 AM
We had a member (a dedicated member of the weightlifting forum) many years ago who once posted about how much she would miss lifting weights once she reached goal. And I just about fell out of my chair! How on earth did she miss the message that we maintainers are screaming from the rooftops:

Nothing changes!!

Nothing changes once you reach goal. You get up the next morning and do exactly the same things that you did the day before. You eat the same foods in the same amounts, do the same exercise in the same amounts, and use the same tools and strategies got you to goal in the first place. And experiment to see if you can add back a few calories or a treat meal occasionally. All while constantly monitoring, with a scale or tape measure or pants, to be sure that the weight doesn't sneak back on. Which it oh-so-easily does.

A day in my life today, more than seven years after reaching goal, is indistinguishable from a day in my life when I was actively losing weight. Same number of meals, same foods, still using Fitday, still weighing problem foods, in the gym at 5:30 every morning, planning meals in advance, packing food for when I'm away from home ... the list goes on. I'm the living, breathing example of whatever you do to lose weight is what you will do to keep it off. Forever. Or as long as you want to stay healthy and fit.

The time you're losing weight is the time to assemble your tool box of skills, strategies, tips, and coping mechanisms for the rest of your life. Weight loss is practice for keeping the weight off for the rest of your life. When you reach goal, you're at the end of Chapter One. There's a whole journey left to finish.

It took me a little less than a year to lose the weight. I've been at this maintenance stuff for more than seven years now, so it's been seven times as much maintenance as weight loss. For all of us, maintenance is going to be the longest part of the journey. And it requires just as much thought and attention as weight loss did. The good news is that we become really, really good at it and as the years go by, it tends to just become part of the background of our lives. :)

The point to all this is -- like everyone said, what you do now to lose weight is exactly what you will do to keep the weight off. Spend the time now finding foods you like and exercise you enjoy because they will be part of your new life forever. Don't do anything you don't like and think it's a temporary fix that you can let go once you reach goal. Nothing changes.

I absolutely adore this post and think there is just so much truth in it. I especially like the part stating that the time we are losing weight is when we are gathering the tools for our toolboxes.

They are my thoughts exactly but you wrote them so eloquently!

Thighs Be Gone
07-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Wow, where do you get your fresh tuna! A little goes a long way for us, I usually get about 10oz for the both of us, and never spend more than $10 on that... and there's usually left overs too that I make into a tuna salad sandwich for me the next day. Either way I was just suggesting it as a perk-me-up to get out of the canned tuna rut every once in a while.

Fish can be quite expensive in general. I find delicious frozen filets of salmon and flounder at Costco, but you can't beat the real fresh thing once in a while. Our major splurge is wild salmon at $20/lb every couple of months or a beautiful chilean sea bass steak. But most of our seafood consumption comes from small fish like red mullets, mackerel, and fresh sardines which don't cost very much (usually because Americans don't like to fuss around with these small bony fish and we get them at great prices).

I am a huge fish lover too--several times weekly. I do love fresh fish and find it for less than $5 a pound at the chinese market near me. I got striped bass last week--and it was very fresh--I picked him out of the tank and they gutted him on the spot!

Another thing too is that I stock my freezer when fish is on sale. (Hardly a novel idea I realize). Back in Spring I found Sockeye Salmon for $4 a pound. I bought an entire case. I also have Ahi Tuna steaks--They were $5 a pound.

Sure, I do prefer fresh but my upright freezer is worth it's weight in gold in my book. Tell me what you do with your mullets, mackerel and sardines.

By the way, last night I put my salmon into foil packets with some salt, pepper, lemon and a drizzle of olive oil. Typically I put these on the grill. With it being 104 yesterday, I decided I didn't want to cookout. Instead I dropped them into boiling water (yes, in foil packets) for ten minutes. They were super moist and good--and minimal smell in my house.

MotoMichelle
07-14-2009, 10:03 AM
This is exactly why I subscribe to Cooking Light. For some reason I can eat the same breakfast daily and never tire of it, but lunch and dinner get old fast for me.

So I love skimming my latest CL and trying new recipes. Some are duds but many turn into recipes I permanently add to my book.

Recently I tried a CL recipe for a pasta salad that had garbanzo beans, feta, and garlic (along with a few other ingredients) and it was delicious. It was so easy to make and also a dish that I can easily take to work for lunch!

I don't care for the traditional low calorie sandwiches for lunch, so this is an easy way to try and find new things and keep lunch/dinner fresh and exciting.

nelie
07-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Re: doing the same things, I will be fine to eat like I'm eating forever (and I am into repetition, also). I will always have room for my weights and body exercises. I do worry about the cardio. I won't always have this kind of time to dedicate to it. Hopefully that will be okay and as much won't be needed to maintain.

Honestly, my overall belief is if you are doing more than 30 minutes/cardio (including warm up/cool down) it is because you like it :) I'd look into HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) as it can definitely shorten the amount of time spent on cardio.

I also agree with the rest of the maintainers. Whatever you did to lose weight is what you need to keep doing in order to maintain.

canadianwoman
07-14-2009, 10:15 AM
I just wish there was some room in it for MickeyD's french fries, LOL!

Watch the movie 'Supersize Me' and you will never want McDonald's french fries again. It worked for me.

As to the original topic, I think I can do without green beans forever.

kiramira
07-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I just got SICK of egg white omelets. Can't stomach the things. :barf: SERIOUSLY.

I've been a bit proactive, acting ahead of the maintenance thing, and am not and won't miss the "diet mentality" -- you know, gotta eat x to lose weight. This is what happened with egg white omelets. Gotta EAT them to lose weight. Blech...

So these are the 2 things I won't miss -- egg white omelets and the "diet mentality"...

:D

Kira

Weight loss turtle and PROUD of it!

Lori Bell
07-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Ugh, I was never one to like egg whites. I just eat whole boiled eggs -- 75 calories. Cutting those calories never seemed worth it to me.

I am in TOTAL agreement. Heck, the yolk is LOADED with essential vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids, protein, iron, zinc, calcium and minerals, (to name a few). One egg yolk meets 100% of the RDA of several nutrients, but the white doesn't meet 100% of any essential nutrients. To me it is a massive waste to toss it out. I have a friend who insists on saving the calories from the yolks in trade for a 100 pack of cookies. :dunno: I guess to each his own, but I'm a penny pincher and always in search of nutritious calories. :D