Simply Filling/Core - Weekly Chat: July 13-July 19

View Full Version : Weekly Chat: July 13-July 19

Tejas
07-13-2009, 07:44 AM
New Pages!!!

:grouphug: :gossip:

Vickie
07-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I've got weigh in this morning and a ton of errands. I'll be back later to catch up.

TechAlum
07-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Good Morning All,

Had a ok weekend. I've been pretty much off program, and not sure what I'm going to do. We had the in-laws over for dinner on Sat. and were supposed to go to Windsor, CA on Sunday, but I forgot to renew my passport so I ordered an "enhanced" driver's license that was supposed to come last week but didn't so I couldn't go. We went to a local art fair and wandered around for a couple of hours instead.
Thought I'd pop in for a few while I download a book to my MP3 to listen to while I go for my walk. Then I'm headed out to my mom's to help her with some stuff. Looks like my book's done so I'm off.

I'll try to pop back in when I get home before knitting tonight.

Have a great day everyone.

-Tech

Vickie
07-13-2009, 12:35 PM
I lost a pound. Ah.....if only I were exercising like my friend Rhonda. 3 times this week is my goal, starting tomorrow. And I shall do some exercises in my pool on Wednesday if the water heats up enough for me to go in. We haven't been able to go in since before the 4th of July. It's either too overcast or not warm/sunny enough for the solar cover to work.

Oh well......now errands. I shall post to everyone later.

Tejas
07-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Hi:

Vickie, your friend Rhonda would be happy with a pound (or two!) I'm actually surprised that the weight is not just falling off. Each time I go to spinning, I drop 500 calories, and I'm not adding them back in with food. But, the losses are slow to come. Thank goodness I like spinning :dance:

I've been very low calorie today, so that might help for WI tomorrow. Last week, after WI I ate pancakes and that set me off a bit. Too much sugar after a long time of not eating much of it at all.

Donna, sorry you didn't get your license in time. Crossing the border isn't as simple as it used to be. What is??

I'm off to pottery class tonight. I have this class and one more, then we're through for the summer.

BBL,
Rhonda

blessedwithsarah
07-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi everyone! Well, it was a busy moving weekend for us. But the upstairs rooms are all organized and everyone is where they are supposed to be. DH and I spent 6 hours Saturday finishing things in our room and moving in. We then had a nice date night. Sunday after we picked up dd we moved her room. All I can say is I'm so glad she was not there on Saturday. Her "helping" was getting on my nerves :) But we manged to move her stuff in and then clean up the new "spare room". Got the computer desk and other furniture in that room. It will be a nice reading/computer room. We need to get the cable connection in there and a nice floor lamp. Tomorrow I need to work on removing some of the wall decorations that we did for dd. But its all done!

Foodwise I thought I was doing so well, my scale was down all weekend. Well, this moring it was back up. Tomorrow I'm buying a new scale and putting it in my closet rather than the bathroom. I can't possibly have the weight swings that it shows. I did make a drs appt today for my annual ob appt, my primary dr is on vacation until Friday this week. I'm making an appt with him as well for a check up.

I did decide to stop tracking points and switch back to true core or what is now simply filling. I do feel my portions are under control, I just seem to make a lot of bad choices. So, its low carb core for me for at least 2 weeks to see if that makes a difference. I'm getting discouraged that I can't get back into the swing of things. I figure if I'm truely good and things are not moving I'll have a Drs appt to discuss it and go over things. I just need to honestly put a good effort in for 2 weeks.

Vickie - congrats on your loss!!!

BBL

Vickie
07-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Hey Coco....I'm so glad they are fixing your husband's glasses for him. Those darned things are way too expensive to let them get away with shoddy work. I had a pair that I complained about regularly but they were never able to fix for me. I ended up changing doctors. Now I have good ones. I think that's adorable about the dogs knowing where the cat is. Cassie always knew where Cameo was because she wanted to eat her. MacDuff was much nicer to the cat. How was the cookout? Did the veggie potato thing turn out? I never had hot dog chili but I bet I'd love it. Do you use hot dogs instead of ground beef? Yum.

Rhonda, so how is the chicken wire installed? Flat down on top of the grass or more as a fence around it? Do they eat the grass or tear it up digging. Raccoons are real smart animals. I hope they never figure out the wire. I never had Hollandaise sauce. I'd probably have liked it once upon a time. Since I started Core in 2004, I haven't been able to eat really rich or buttery things. They make my tummy sore. I wonder why your weight isn't falling off? Are you eating enough. No laughing this is a serious question.

Paula, you sound tired and happy. I'd love to redo my office and make it an office reading room. We painted at it looks nice but everything is mismatched in here. I've got some other things to do first. I was just talking to my JCC today about fluctuations. She gave me the old talk about staying off the scale. She said that is completely normal. Yesterday my scale was a pound or two higher than it was this morning. It's just a good thing that I didn't over react yesterday when I saw it was up. I just kept drinking more water. I've heard, though, that humidity affects all scales and that the bathroom is the last place you should keep it. Mine is in my foyer! I used to hide it when people came over and now I just laugh about it. I asked them if they want to hop on! It's the only place in my house with tile and not a bathroom! Of course, I could put it in the basement but then I'd never go down there to get on it. Well, maybe that's the answer! I really think simply filling is the way to go. If only I could trust myself with portion sizes. I'm comforting myself with the idea that everything I'm eating is simply filling except for the lunch and dinner entree. That represents less than a third of my calories. I can live with that for now.

Sloan, are you done? Are we going to see any pictures?

Donna, you sound SO bummed. I'm really sorry and I wish there was something I could do to help. I'm sure you really could have used the distraction of the trip to Canada. I hope you enjoyed your walk. I need to start again too. Just start one meal at a time. That's all you can do.

Sandra, what did you decide Girlfriend?

Boy....I wrote a book!

sloanie
07-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey chicks! Weigh in day for me, and I lost a pound also. I am getting used to counting points, but still don't like it as much as simply filling. I'm still planning on counting until I get to goal.

Vickie-Congrats on your one pound! As for the remodeling, we are not nearly finished. We are closer on the bedroom, though. The furniture should be delivered later this week, and we can at least move our bed out of the living room. The shower doors will be installed on Friday (they initially installed the wrong ones, so we've been showering in DS's bathroom for a couple of weeks). Our plans for this week are to get all of the trim painted upstairs, and the carpet will be installed up there on Monday. Next we will rearrange cabinets in the kitchen, remove a small portion of a wall, convert the den into a larger dining room, and make the current small dining room into a breakfast room. As you can imagine, I am really tired. When it is all done, I'll try to post some photos.

Paula-I know you are so glad to be finished with your remodeling! I can't wait to be able to find things again. Don't worry about your fluctuations. I do think it is a good idea to change scales and keep them somewhere else. Maybe that is all that you need to do.

Donna-Do not despair! Just keep posting and we'll keep cheering you on. I don't know if you read my post the other day. I said that it is remarkable that we have all been posting for as long as we have. Just think of where you'd be if you weren't at least conscious of your weight. We're here for ya!

Rhonda-I'm with Vickie. Are you sure you are eating enough?

Have a good night y'all!

ontarget
07-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Vickie and Sloan, congratulations on your losses.

Rhonda, I'm sure you'll have a good loss tomorrow.

Donna, you sound a little down. So am I. We need to pick ourselves up and do something.

Paula, I think you're smart about getting a new scale. You need faith in it.

Coco, Curtis got asked not to come back by one vision center in Montana. And it wasn't his fault they kept scratching the lenses before he got them.

The decks/porches are almost finished. I'm excited. We got our fans today and also the water feature for the front. Next? Furniture.

Tejas
07-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Good Morning:

Drats, I didn't lose even an ounce, according to my home scale. I am eating my allowed 22 points and I am being careful about what is making up those points. My spinning friend said that she hit an early plateau also.

I will simply keep doing the exercise I'm doing, and I'll pay VERY close attention to the food. It's been very handy to have toast and PB (1 Tablespoon, really) before exercise. Today I ate a banana and drank water instead before the personal trainer workout, and I'm eating an apple now. I'll have some eggs in a few minutes and see how that holds me. Maybe the PB is just too high fat, even though it is pure PB, no sugar and no salt.

Paula, it's fun to read about your changes in the house. We, of course, are not meeting our chosen deadline of tomorrow, but we have done a number of things this week.

Vickie, the chicken wire is flat on the ground, on top of the grass. It is staked down with what look like really long staples. This morning a few places along the edges were pulled up. I got more staples at the garden center and added them in. But, mostly, it's working well. The raccoons don't eat the grass, they dig it up to get the grubs.

Donna, hang in there. Eat well, move more and you'll feel better, as we all know.

I've got my scales right by the pantry!

I hope you each have a day that builds your self-esteem, lightens your load, and makes you happy.

Rhonda

sloanie
07-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Mornin' everyone! I hope you all have a happy day :cool:
I'll check in later, TTFN

TechAlum
07-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Sloan and Vickie - Congrats on the losses. :carrot:

Thanks for all the well wishes. I am feeling a bit down, but I am definitely glad that I've been paying some attention, or this year could have been really ugly. Last time I was as stressed and depressed as I've been lately I gained 50 lbs :eek: so I know things could be way worse. Its just that for the last couple of weeks I've lost sight of everything......

Anyway....I'm not sure what I was thinking when I offered to help my mom out on the computer. I left my folks house with a huge headache, but I refrained from buying something decadent at Panera's during knitting. I'm just waiting for the call "How do you do this ......."

I'm off to grab lunch then take the dog out for a walk. Have a great day everyone.

-Tech

coco99
07-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi Everyone
Not much going on here.
Had to take the doggies to the vet today. Time for their rabies shot and the other one.
Now going to make a salad for supper. Got the lettuce washed and draining.

VICKIE CONGRATS ON THE LOSS!! :carrot: That is wonderful. I gained 2 lbs last night. What I call hot dog chili is just some ground beef with some ketchup, tomato paste seasonings. Things like that. Then put it on hot dogs with the bun. Some people just want the hot dog chili on the bun. No hot dog. I like it as sloppy joe's.

SLOANIE CONGRATS ON THE LOSS!:carrot:

Oh better get off here. Heard a noise. And kitty is by herself.
Be back later.
coco

sloanie
07-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey chicks,
What a busy day! We hung doors, painted the hallway, and threw a couch and love seat out the upstairs window! Yes, I said threw them out the window. They were so old that the Goodwill would not take them, so we are taking them to the dump. They were too large to carry down the stairs, so out the window they went. I did save the cushions because foam for cushions is so expensive at the fabric store. Of course, my back is killing me!

Rhonda-Hang in there! Maybe your spinning friend is right. Have you tried the wendi plan with your points? Maybe that would give you a jump start.

Donna-my parents are funny on the computer, too. My dad can send an e-mail, but my mom can't even turn it on.

Coco-Salad for supper is one of my favs! Hope it was good.

Holla! to the rest of you girls!

coco99
07-14-2009, 09:38 PM
SLOANIE The salad did taste good.
Nothing special. But was wanting a good salad. Instead of one of those drive thru ones.
Have a great eveing.

ontarget
07-14-2009, 09:49 PM
We didn't do well with the eating, but we didn't do too badly either. I guess sometimes that's as good as it gets.

Rhonda, you're doing well. Just hang in there, Cuz.

sloanie
07-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Mornin' y'all
I don't think I'll get much done today. I hurt my back! As it turns out, picking up a couch and loveseat can be too much for a 50 year old back. :cry: I have an appointment with the chiropractor this morning, so maybe she can help. The carpet cleaners are on their way, and my furniture is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I just pray that it stays sunny, cause a muddy driveway means no furniture!

I'm sending out :goodvibes to you all! TTFN

Vickie
07-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Good Morning Chicks!

I've got all kinds of things hopping around here today. I have a guy coming at noon to do some window repair. We can't afford new windows. Then we hope to swim after he leaves in the afternoon. It'll only be our 4th time in the pool.

Woo hoo!

Vickie
07-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Rhonda and Coco, just keep at it. That darned weight has to come off sooner or later.

Sloan, congratulations on your loss and BUMMER on your back. Whatever are you thinking girl? I hope your chiropractor can get you all adjusted.

Sandra, we know what to do. I had an unplanned splurge meal yesterday but I got right back on. I'm getting good at not letting one bad meal or dessert send me over the ledge.

Paula, how are you doing?

Time for my breakfast now!

blessedwithsarah
07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone. Things are going well in getting back to the old core plan. I must say after tracking points and eating core, I feel more in control now not counting the points. I made a nice black bean salad yesterday (black beans, corn, peppers, onion, cuke and tomatos topped with red wine vinegar and olive oil). Very yummy. I ate it through out the day - it was yummy! I've also been keeping away from carbs as well and keeping off the scale. I managed to do my walk/jog yesterday. I'm seeing an improvment, I think I jogged 1/2 of the 3 miles (off and on). So, things are going well and I feel in control.

Sloan, I hope the chiropractor can give you some relief. OUCH! But, the rooms will look great when done and you'll have a new couch to sit in --ok, trying to look on the bright side of things.

Rhonda, have you done your measurements? I'm sure those are changing even though the scale is not. Do you feel a difference in your clothes?

I'm starving -- going to get my salad in a few minutes. Brought canned crab meat mixed with ff may to put on top of it. YUM. Have a good afternoon.

coco99
07-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi Everyone
Just getting on for a few.
Waiting on a load of clothes to finish. Then hanging them out.
Got one load out.
Had some fiber one pancakes for breakfast. Added some fresh blueberries. Very Yummy.
Got a salad made for lunch. Lettuce, cucumbers, sweet peppers, raddish, then added some reduce fat feta cheese, mandrin oranges, and just a few walnuts. Then going to use light raspberry vinegrette salad dressing. Hope it turns out. Will see here in a little bit.
Havent decided yet what to have for supper.
Well am going to get off here for now.
Hope everyone is having a great day.
Thinking of each of you.
coco

sloanie
07-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Afternoon chicks!
The chiropractor had to get rough with my back today, but it did help a little. I'm still very sore and will not be moving furniture any time soon. I am still counting points successfully, so that's really an accomplishment for me. I have not been op for this many days in a row for a long time.

Coco-I love feta cheese. I have not ever gotten it in a low fat version. I'll have to look for it.

Paula-thanks for the well wishes. Your black bean dish sounds yummy!

Vickie-thanks for your well wishes, too. I liked the comment you made about being able to get back op after a slip up. I am finding it easier, too.

Rhonda-measuring yourself is a good idea! Maybe that will show the changes that are taking place.

Sandra-Hang in there. As we all know, one off program meal does not signal failure.

GTG help ds paint a little. I'll take it easy, but the chiro said I should continue my normal activity, just no throwing couches out the window!

BBL

Tejas
07-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Coco, that salad sounds good. I'm not so keen on feta cheese, but loved the rest of it. Too bad I've just about had all my points, so my salad tonight will be less interesting. Well, at least no cheese.

I had salmon at lunch and that is rather high in points.

The spinning teacher said that she believed 80% of weight loss is food, but not to quit spinning. I have no intention of quitting; I like everything else that is happening with it.
She also so that the resistance training, push ups, sit ups, etc. is really good for boosting metabolism.

The personal trainer took our measurements, so I'll look for change there.

Vickie, you need to move south with that pool :lol:

Sloan, throwing furniture sounds like fun....without the back ache that is.

I'm going to go sit down for a while...I've been on the run since 5:30 this morning!! :yawn:

Rhonda

blessedwithsarah
07-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I've found fat free feta in my store -- its very, very good. Its all crumbles just like the full fat and taste just the same --imo.

sloanie
07-15-2009, 07:49 PM
fat free feta? I'll be on the lookout for it. Thanks Paula!

blessedwithsarah
07-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Just weighed myself -- after dinner and a couple glasses of water. I'm less than I was last Saturday am neeked! :)

ontarget
07-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Sloan, how is your back? I hope you're better.

Sounds like all of you are doing well. I did better today. Life is good.

The decks were to be finished today but it's looking like tomorrow. Cross your fingers.

coco99
07-15-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi There
The salad was very good. I am not real crazy about the feta cheese. So I didnt put very much in.
Wont be on here tomorrow until later. Have to take the doggies to the groomers.
But I will be thinking of everyone
Hope everyone had a good day.
Night
coco

TechAlum
07-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi All,

I'm off to take DH to the hospital for is surgery. We are entering the last chapter of this saga and are praying for noooooooooo sequels.

I've been pretty much off plan all week although yesterday was better. I'm going to try to get strict with myself next week after DH is out of the hospital.

Sloan - hope you're back feels better.

Everyone else - :wave:

-Tech

Tejas
07-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Good Morning everyone:

Paula, that's great about your weight. Good luck at WI.

I've been to the personal training session and am now going to work in the garden. There are some spots that need filling in with some color so I get to go buy plants! I love that part of gardening!

I'm not going into the office today. They know how to find me if they really need me. So, I'm going to work around here, make a nice lunch for me and DH and pretend that I'm retired already.

I hope you all have a great day, and I'll BBL.

Rhonda

ps: I hope Maryann is having a good cruise...maybe she'll check in with us at some point :crossed:

Tejas
07-16-2009, 08:33 AM
I just read your message, Donna.....good luck to and DH...such trying times you're having. My heart goes out to you.

Rhonda

ontarget
07-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Donna, I hope all goes well for you and DH. You have my prayers.

Coco, I like feta cheese. I use it in spinach salads.

Rhonda, have fun planting your goodies. That's my favorite part of gardening, too. The guys are outside installing the railings on the porches. All will be finished today. Our furniture is waiting to be set in place. Life is good.

Curtis and I had our fruit smoothies for bfast. We've been doing that daily and loving it. Tomorrow we'll have them on the back porch.

sloanie
07-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Hey chicks!
My back is still sore, but is much better! Thanks for all of your concern. We painted trim today, and removed some carpet. My bedroom furniture arrived, and it is so nice. DH and I realized that we have been married for 27 years, and this is the first new bedroom suite we have ever had! I'm still sticking to 19 points. I guess being busy helps a lot. I don't think I have even used any wpa's this week! Hmmmm, maybe it's time for a glass of wine!

Rhonda-I love buying plants, too. My flowers have taken a back seat to the remodeling, though. I am so excited for you being able to have a trainer.

Sandra-I'll be thinking about you and your dh in the morning while you sit on your new porch and drink your smoothie!

Donna-I'm praying for your husband, and of course, you! Hang in there.

Hey to Coco, Paula and Vickie!

DH wants some help, so I'll try to check in later.

Tejas
07-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Bushed, I am bushed..and that's not a reference to GW. I have been in the front and back garden almost all day, except when buying some plants and running a few errands. It was fun, and now things look so much nicer. Of course, my head is just full of other things to do!!

We really need a new fence on the east side, but we're not putting one in just to put it on the market. But, I am going to do some gardening for my neighbor to make the whole area look nicer.

I've done well with food today also. And, I'm going to have some light ice cream (2 points) and fresh Ontario strawberries...yummy, yummy.

Oh, really good news. My BP is essentially normal with my home monitor. Tomorrow I have to take it in to be calibrated with my MD's monitor, and I really hope the more normal reading isn't just a fluke. Maybe all this exercise has been paying off :crossed:

Rhonda

blessedwithsarah
07-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi everyone. I'm really happy wiht myself. I've been on track, writing down everything and tracking my points. So far this week (starting on Monday), I've used 2 points for a small glass of wine. I had oatmeal with fresh blueberries for bf today. YUMMY, I haven't had oatmeal for a while. Its a nice change. I brought my core lunch today (all leftovers) but decided I wanted to go out for a salad. There is a store close to work that has an amazing salad bar. It was huge! All veggies, some plain tuna and turkey on top, dressed with balsamic vingar and olive oil. It was sooooo goooood. Much better than what I packed. It kept me full all afternoon.

One new thing I've been doing lately I want to share. I've been cooking broccoli and then putting ff slices of cheese on top (the processed fat free slices that are pre-wrapped do melt very well). Nice broccoli with a cheese sauce.

Rhonda, your yard must look very nice. When do you plan on listing your house? I know you extended your work, do you have a new end date? Congrats on the bp issue.

Sloan, glad you room is done and you have new furniture. I felt a bit guilty on what I spent on the rug for our bedroom, but dh commented how nice and soft it feels barefoot. That made it worth it. I hope you enjoy your new room as much as I am! Glad your back is feeling better, have you tried a heat wrap? I've used those in the past -- they go under your clothes and don't need any eletricity.

Sandra -- hmmm smoothies. I have some ww orange smoothie mix and frozen pineapple. Guess I know what my snack is tonight!

Donna, how did dh make out today?

Coco, how are you doing?

Well, got to get dd out of the shower. She actually can pretty much do it all herself. We are now working on her drying herself, brushing her hair and getting dressed. Night!

ontarget
07-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Rhonda, that's a fantastic NSV. And you're getting in a lot of activity working in the yard. Sounds like fun.

We had burgers on our front porch today. All is finished now. I have the new water feature out of the box and am ready to install it.

Sloan, I'm glad your back is better. Enjoy your new bedroom furniture.

Paula, you're doing great. Enjoy your smoothie.

TechAlum
07-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Hello All,

Just got home from the hospital, unfortunately dh got bumped in surgery by an emergency surgery so instead of 11am start he didn't start until 4:30pm. It made for a very long day (I was at the hospital just over 13 hrs plus 1/2 hr drive each way). Luckily I had given the neighbor a key and asked her to let out the dogs, then I called her and she was able to come over and feed them too. He is doing fine and pretty drugged up, but I am whipped. My eating was sad but not as sad as it could have been, you'd think in a hospital they'd have better choices wouldn't you????

Any way just checking in before hitting the sack. Have a great day everyone.

-Tech

Tejas
07-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Yes, you absolutely would think hospitals would have better choices, and "in the good 'ole days" of in-house kitchens, cooks and chefs they did. Of course, I don't know about your particular hospital, but many/most of them "outsourced" hospitality functions and quality plummeted.....and, don't even get me started on the food in schools.....grrrrrr

Have a great day everyone....you got me started Donna!
What an ordeal you and DH had.

Rhonda

Vickie
07-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Good Morning Chicks! I've got a cut and color today and numerous errands to get ready for a birthday party for a Great Nephew tomorrow.

Donna, it will be ok. You're doing great, it sounds, with all the obstacles presented to you right now. How is DH feeling?

Paula, you sound like a woman on a mission. Keep it up girlie!

Sandra, burgers...yum. I haven't had one since January. The closest I come is a JC turkey burger and that is NOT close! How are you feeling?

Rhonda, you had a healthy and happy day. That's great! I hope your BP monitor is correct. I should take my home one with to the Doctor next time too. That's a very good idea.

Sloanie, congratulation on the 27 years. That's awesome! Jim and I will celebrate 18 in November. The time flew by. We've never bought a new bedroom set either but I have a REAL itch for an Amish one. All I did when we got married was get new rails to make my full into a queen. I'd love to have a king. It's great that your back is doing better. My Dad used to swear by his chiropractor back in the 70's when everyone thought they were quacks. I wonder if a chropractor could help Jim's shoulder? Hmm...I'll have to do some research on that.

Vickie
07-17-2009, 01:17 PM
It's 62 degrees here in the middle of July at noon. How disgusting!

coco99
07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi Everyone
Not much going on here.
Getting some much needed rain. And cooler temps. YEAH!!!!
Took the doggies to the groomers yesterday. And then today. Kitty went to get spayed. I am to call here in a little bit and check on her. She has to stay overnight.

TECHALUM Hope everything is ok with hubby. I know what you mean about the hospital not having better food choices. Our hospital is starting to have some better choices than it use too. They did have a salad bar. But everytime I ate off it. Well lets just say. I needed a bathroom near by.

SLOANIE Congrats on 27 years. Hubby and I have been married 25 this year.

Well I better go and check on my green beans. Got them on frying. And call and check on kitty.
So will be back later. Unless it storms again. Had a pretty bad one earlier.
Thinking of each of you.
coco

Tejas
07-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Sloanie, congratulations on 27 years...my, my....

Vickie, it's no warmer in Toronto...we have not had summer yet.

Sloanie and Paula: I'm really really looking forward to moving in about 6 months (I hope) and getting new furniture.

So, my BP monitor is correct, more or less, but it's not good. Last night my BP was essentially normal, today it's high. So, I'm now rearing a 24 BP monitor...really classy...I have BP cuff on my left arm, a tube running across my back, and a thingy strapped around my waist. I have to take it in tomorrow. Then, in a week I see the cardiologist.

I am also going to go see a nutritionist, and have my thyroid checked. I am just not losing weight in any way that reflects how much exercise I'm getting. Something is wrong, and I'm going to find out what it is.

So, I'm going to write down calorie counts, not points. I'm also going to cut out all bread, and all things with sucralose, fructose, etc in them. That is going to be difficult because a lot of foods have them, especially breakfast cereals...even Fiber 1 and All Bran...and lf yogurt..

OK, BBL..

Rhonda

ontarget
07-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Donna, you have to be a whipped puppy after yesterday. I agree about hospital food. I'm sure you did the best you could under the circumstances (and that includes stress and fatigue). I hope dh is doing all right.

Vickie, I'll bet the JC burger wasn't all that either. I confess we're having friends over tonight and will be dining on burgers. We also have cold watermelon and cantaloupe. Thank you for asking about me. I'm feeling all right. I had quite a scare when some of my tests came back indicating Lupus. The last tests I just finished ruled it out, though. My problem is "just" osteo-arthritis. But that's all right. I was expecting that. It runs rampant in our family.

How's your hair? Would you believe I'm going back to my natural color (whatever that is now) and I'm also letting my hair grow a bit longer?

Coco, we got some muchneeded rain today, too. But I'm a glutton and am wanting more. :lol:

Rhonda, how high is your bp? I'm worried about you. Will this be your first time to see a cardiologist or have you been before? If so, does he know about your spinning?

Tejas
07-17-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm laughing about the hair color comments. I was born when my mother was 40, and I never, ever knew what color her was really was....probably grey!

In answer to your questions Sandra, no, I've never seen the cardiologist before. He just gave me the BP monitor and chatted a bit. He took a history, but a brief one because my GP is right there and she has it all. He doesn't know about the spinning, but the GP does. I'm seeing him on July 31.

My BP was 123/77 last night, and that is essentially normal BP. This morning it was 145/93, and that is marginally high. It was 160/80 at the GP, and that is high but not frightening. It has been as high as 150/110, to my knowledge. That's why I was so happy last night. But, if it's jumping all over the place, that's as bad as it being high. As I understand it.

Anyway, I don't eat many processed foods, but I'm going right to the basics...starting with breakfast. Lean protein, vegetables, whole grains, and some fruit. PERIOD.

Have a great night everyone....but, too sad about Walter Cronkite... a real journalist instead of the media hounds we have today.

Rhonda

blessedwithsarah
07-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Weighed this morning -- lost 2 pounds this week. I'm back to where I've been for the past few months. I'm sticking with hard core -- its going really well. Much easier than the last time I did it the right way :) Counting points and getting my portions back into control did help. Vacation is in 4 weeks, I'd love to lose 5 before then. We'll see.

TechAlum
07-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Happy Saturday Everyone,

Paula - :congrat: on the loss.

DH is doing well, he's in a lot less pain than last time and moving around a bit already which is good. The doctor told him he'd probably come home Mon or Tues. Today they should allow him clear liquids to eat, he hasn't had food since Wed (clear liquids) or anything solid since Tuesday night. Last time the switch to solid food caused a major set back so we're cautiously optimistic.

On the other hand my cat is pretty sick and I'm not sure he's going to make it, so I'm pretty stressed about that (like I didn't have enough going on). The vet is going to give him some more meds and see if he gets better :crossed: we'll see about that too.

We're having a cool summer here too. They say we're on track for the coldest July ever (global warming????) Me personally I'm liking it we've only had to turn on the AC a couple of times, which is great. However my tomatoes are not liking it much.

Rhonda - good luck with the BP, hope they can figure out what's up.

Vicki - hope you enjoyed the hair treatment. That can be such fun.

Sandra - my mom just let her hair go "natural" it was kind of bizarre at first she'd been dying it since it started to go grey 20 years ago. Now it's mostly steel gray with a twist of red (she was a redhead)

Sloan - Congrats on 27 years. That's impressive, no new bedroom set here either (right now I'd settle for a new mattress) but then we've only been married 8 years.

Well I should get moving. I need to shower, dress, go pick up cat meds, water the garden, walk the dog and then head to the hospital. I need to mow the grass too but not today.

-Donna :dizzy:

Tejas
07-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Good news, Paula...congratulations...I'd bet you make your goal.

I'm off to return the monitor and run some errands.

Sandra, how's the "patio" and how was the party. I WISH DH and I were there!!!!

Rhonda

sloanie
07-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Hey chicks! DS has been downloading lots of stuff, so I've not been here for a couple of days. Thanks for the congrats on the 27 years. Our anniv is 4-2, so it will be 28 years before we know it. My back is 99% better, and I'm very happy about that. I still have a lot of remodeling to do. We are getting the upstairs ready for new carpet on Monday, so we are in overdrive moving furniture and painting trim. All of the walls have been painted, so at least we don't have to do that. A note on the weather, we have had more cool temps this year, too. Today it is so cool, I wore long jeans to go shopping. That is extremely unusual for July in Tennessee. This time last year we were over 100 degrees!

Paula-Congrats on your progress! I want a new rug for my bedroom, too! I just have to wait on final budget stuff before I can purchase the bigger decorating items.

Sandra-Did you get that water feature together, yet? I'll bet it is gonna be awesome.

Coco-how's kitty? I hope she is recovering nicely. I had Pippi spayed in June, and the poor thing had to wear the "cone of shame" for a few days.

Rhonda-I know you are frustrated about your BP. Have I suggested you google the DASH diet? My friend is a dietician, and she swears by it. You could look at it and modify it to fit ww, because there is a 1200 calorie version. Hang in there!

Donna-Sorry about your long day, but I'm glad dh is doing well. Try and make time for yourself before he comes home so you don't end up being a patient, too!

Vickie-This summer we are having your problem with the pool. It is too cold! We have had so many cool days that the water has never warmed up. It is frustrating to see it out there and not be able to get in it! I have recommendation for when you are able to get your king bed. Check out the sleep number beds. We have had one for a few years, and we still love it. I cannot tell you the difference it has made in our sleep as well as our aches and pains!

GTG paint, UGH!

Tejas
07-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Hi All:

Here is the DASH diet information, in case you're interested.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf

Core and Low GI diets and this one are similar.

Rhonda

sloanie
07-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey Rhonda-I looked at the DASH. It's been a while since I looked at it and you're right, it is similar to core. Maybe you have been getting some sodium that you did not realize was there. Did your parents have high BP? Hypertension does run in families. :)

ontarget
07-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Rhonda, I'm glad you're keeping a watch on your bp. If your cardiologist is like the one I had in MT, he'll prob be glad you're doing the spinning. Just be careful.

Paula, congratulations on the weightloss.

sloanie
07-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Hey Rhonda-I looked at the DASH. It's been a while since I looked at it and you're right, it is similar to core. Maybe you have been getting some sodium that you did not realize was there. Did your parents have high BP? Hypertension does run in families. :)

Sorry I posted this twice!

ontarget
07-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Rhonda, I wish ya'll were here, too. It wasn't really a party, though. We had a couple over for dinner and arrow flinging. A neighbor couple came over for awhile, too. The porches are Wonderful. We're totally enjoying having them. You know we don't normally socialize much. Well, we've had company 5 nights this week. I guess the porches are changing us. :lol Tonight Curtis and I had wine coolers. Life is good.

Donna, I'm sad for your stress. Be strong.

Sloan, I did get the water feature up and running before company got here yesterday. I have to admit--it's cute! I have 2 more solar pumps coming from Ebay. I'm anxious for them to get here.

Our yard needs a lot of work. And water! Anyone want to come help?

Now I'm dashing over to look at DASH.

Tejas
07-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Sandra: raccoons just LOVE water features!!

Sloan: yes, hypertension is in the family. Today I changed the way I track. I've developed an Excel sheet and I'm keeping track of calories, not points, and sodium.

This site gives sodium counts:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/wtrank/sr17a307.pdf

The walking coach sent us this website:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

I'm working my way through to find the most efficient way to track, but I'm really going to watch the sodium.

Donna, we're having such a cool summer too. I think that "climate change" is more descriptive of our situation!!
Nothing warming up here :yikes:

Rhonda

Vickie
07-19-2009, 04:17 AM
Ugh...been up all night. Must have been wound up from the party.

Vickie
07-19-2009, 06:19 AM
I'm off to bed now. Talk to you all much, much later.

beach bum
07-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Good Morning Ladies:)

I'm back from the cruise yesterday evening,but I haven't got on the scale yet,too afraid to get on. Had a wonderful time,and saw so many different places,but its now back to reality and I have to go back on some sort of program to get this poundage off.

Don't have time to go back and read your post now,as I have to get ready for church, see you guys later.

Tejas
07-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Welcome home, Maryann! It's good to hear that you had a good time. I need a cruise!! :lol:

Vickie, I hope you're sleeping!

sloanie
07-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Mornin'

Maryann-I'm so glad you had a great time. The first few days after a great vacation are always blah!

Vickie-I hope the party was worth it :dizzy: Happy dreams!

Have a great day chickies!

beach bum
07-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Having lots of problems with my side of the computer. I have not idea what happened to it. I lost all my bookmarks and the browsers won't let me use the back & forth button. Its going to awkward in the morning to post all my boards unless the browser fixes itself,other than that I"m Fine.

Going to W-I tomorrow and see the food damage on the scale.

RHONDA-ps: I hope Maryann is having a good cruise...maybe she'll check in with us at some point
Had a wonderful time in Nova Scotia and than in Canada,the only day it rained was in Bar Harbor Me,and early in the morn in Halifax,than right after we had beautiful sunny days. Ate only meals that I don't cook at home, like Duck a la orange, surf & turf on with shrimp and the other lobster tail.

Thanks for the Mrs Dash web site.Have to read up on this.

PAULA-Weighed this morning -- lost 2 pounds this week.CONGRATS ON your 2 lbs.weight loss.

DONNA-Hope your DH surgery went well, and that you'll get back to your regular routine.

SLOANE-Belated happy anniversary and Oh gee watch out for your back with all that remodeling going on.I do know the pain mine goes out ever so often especially when I carry something heavy.

Thanls Ladies for all the welcome backs,going to start supper will be back in the AZ.M.

beach bum
07-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Having lots of problems with my side of the computer. I have not idea what happened to it. I lost all my bookmarks and the browsers won't let me use the back & forth button. Its going to awkward in the morning to post all my boards unless the browser fixes itself,other than that I"m Fine.

Going to W-I tomorrow and see the food damage on the scale.

RHONDA-ps: I hope Maryann is having a good cruise...maybe she'll check in with us at some point
Had a wonderful time in Nova Scotia and than in Canada,the only day it rained was in Bar Harbor Me,and early in the morn in Halifax,than right after we had beautiful sunny days. Ate only meals that I don't cook at home, like Duck a la orange, surf & turf on with shrimp and the other lobster tail.

Thanks for the Mrs Dash web site.Have to read up on this.

PAULA-Weighed this morning -- lost 2 pounds this week.CONGRATS ON your 2 lbs.weight loss.

DONNA-Hope your DH surgery went well, and that you'll get back to your regular routine.

SLOANE-Belated happy anniversary and Oh gee watch out for your back with all that remodeling going on.I do know the pain mine goes out ever so often especially when I carry something heavy.

Thanks Ladies for all the welcome backs,going to start supper will be back in the AZ.M.

blessedwithsarah
07-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Welcome back Maryann! Glad you had a nice time on your cruise. One of these days we'll take one out of Boston as well. I always thought Bermuda, but now that I know they go to Nova Scotia from here as well....hmmmm....

Its been a glorious day today. We went to church and then dd had a friend over for the day. The girls played wonderfully as usual, this friend is never an issue and they always get a long without any issues. She was here from 11 until 4:30. They were outside most of the day on the waterslide, while I sat in the sun and read my book. A nice relaxing day for me. Its been a long time since I did nothing most of the day. DH did a bit of painting and puttering around. Not much with him either. After all the work we've been doing getting the rooms set upstairs, we both needed a total nothing day.

WE ate out last night -- at a great italian place. I love their sauce, but passed on it. They had wonderful grilled lamb and portabellos served with a baked potato. Then tonight we went to our usual place, got a big salad with grilled chicken. I'm pretty happy that both meals out were core. I did have one light beer tonight and some wine last night, which I've tracked from my wpas. I still have 25 left for the week. So, I'm in good shape!

Well, time to get dd to bed, its been a long day for her and she is getting a bit floppy.

sloanie
07-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Paula-your day sounds great! I've been remodeling as usual, but things are going well. We're having the entire upstairs carpeted tomorrow, and I'm very excited about that. I love the term "floppy". I'm going to use that to describe myself after a long day of remodeling :D

Hope all you chicks have had a relaxing weekend! TTFN

Tejas
07-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm pretty "floppy" myself.

OK, everybody, check out the salt content of food website I sent. I'll send it again on next week's thread...you'll be amazed...2 ounces of ham have about half of a daily allowance of salt!

Night all!