Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/229/145

Height: 5'5"

Question New to 3fc, WW Lifetimer, Need New Perspective

Hi, I'm a 29 year old teacher in the US. I've logged in to 3fc before, but this is really my first time joining the site.

WW helped me to lose 45 pounds when I was in college. I know it is probably the best plan out there for me. But whenever I rejoin, I can't seem to stick with it. I am not good about staying dedicated to the diet.

But I really need to lose this weight. I've been feeling awful. Like I can feel my hips growing and they are heavy to carry around. I've been really busy (and thus full of excuses) this spring and summer; any progress I made last fall disappeared. I am within ten pound of my heaviest weight ever.

So, I could use some support and some new perspective. I'd love a new diet plan if you have good ideas. Just because WW is a little boring for me. I can afford a little, but I don't want to pay for something I won't use or that won't work.

As of right now, I've journaled yesterday's food and my plan for today on Spark People. I really like how they have added the feature to evaluate what you have eaten that day and tell you what you are missing. Will it be enough?
smilesandsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC!

I'm a calorie counter but you check out all the different diet methods here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#diet-central .

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #3  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome

I've recently made the switch from WW to calorie counting. It's not a huge change but it does help me monitor my sodium intake among other things

You've made lifetime so you know what it takes....now just don't quit once your reach goal. It's a lifetime commitment!

Good luck!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #4  

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Smiles!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #5  
Certified Wgt Mgt Advisor

S/C/G: Lost over 20 lbs & 30 ins

Default welcome, smiles and Sunshine

I always hated WW cuz I always had to keep track of something - either points or something. Now I use the palm of my hand for my measure.

If it fits in the palm of your hand it will be the right portion for your body. There is more to it than that but for example, I've learned to make a salad by using the amount of lettuce that will fit in the palm of my hand and then adding stuff to that. Any more letture and I'd be overeating.

Welcome
Lynn G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #6  
Giovanna

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Welcome. I too started and stopped dieting for years. I have found that the support I recieve here is a tremendous help, and it's free!
Late to the game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #7  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Calorie counting is awesome! I use FitDay, though I know there are others. Just log it, and I can see nutrition deficits, a little graph to see how I'm doing toward goal, etc. But I'm an accountant so I love tickers, charts, and all. They help me.

There is a ton of information on this site - I think I've learned more about healthy weight loss than I ever knew. And I've been dieting for 20 years. The problem is, if I'm not dieting I tend to regain 1 lb a month or so. That adds up.

The support and accountability offered on this forum are great. I'm at the point where I usually slack off, and don't have any of my normal motivation loss. I think I might really keep going this time!

Check out the Support section as well. There are challenge threads, for exercise as well as weight loss.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

hi SmilesandSunshine! well your already doing better than me---I can't even figure out how to start a new thread. I wanted to start a thread to intoduce myself becuase I just joined today. I have done WW myself and was successful but like you it all came back---I am going to just "shut up and do it"...change my life style---food journal and count every calorie that goes in my mouth. I don't much care for the taste for water so I am drinking nothing but Crystal Light and diet lipton green tea (with citrus). I wish you all the luck in the world and know that you CAN do ANYTHING you set your mind to. stay focosed and love yourself. Don't EVER give up and strive for all you know you can do!!

Hugs,

.net/img/purpvinebar/sliderbug/lb/209/140/209/.png[/img] [/url]
scrappinMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #9  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

Your story really strikes a chord with me.

I was hugely successful at Weight Watchers (7 years ago) in college, but thinking back I didn't really learn much about weight loss at the time. I ate my points, attended the meetings, and weighed in each week. I didn't own a scale at the time. I didn't get much into exercise (although my college campus was pretty hilly), and didn't know anything about BMI or metabolism.

It was more of the same after I graduated, moved home, started working an office job, and the weight began creeping up. I halfheartedly joined WW again, but I couldn't (or wasn't willing to commit to) repeat the magic of the first time around.

This time it's different. I no longer attend meetings. I'm using the information I learned while in WW years ago while also working hard to take advantage of all the health and fitness information available on the internet. I journal my Points every day, weigh almost daily, blog about the challenges and successes, and have taken up a fitness routine that I enjoy. I watch my BMI, measure myself monthly to see the inches lost, and continually experiment with new foods that are delicious and low in Points.

I mentally slap my forehead in frustration looking back at my decade long struggle. If I'd just stuck with it... no matter how slow the loss, I could have been in maintenance right now. This time I'm not stopping. Half a pound a week. <shrug> It's progress. I'll get there.

So, Smiles whatever plan you settle on, whether it be WW or simple calorie counting, make a committment to a lifestyle change. Don't just diet like you always did (presumably). Make this time vibrantly different. Be constantly educating yourself to go beyond. Make your new WOE a priority. Good Luck!
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #10  

Thanks for the support guys!
Old 07-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #11  

I'm planning to calorie count using Spark People. I've been out of town and not completely connected. So today is my new day one.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hooray smilesandsunshine and good luck!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #13  

Welcome and good luck!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote