Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-12-2009, 01:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/249/130

Height: 5'6''

Default goal weight confusion

I am not sure of what I should make my goal weight...I have changed it 3 times........ it was 120.....then I realized that was WAY too low..... then 135...... still too low..... then 140 was ok.....but I was thinking 155 was good for my body type but under the fat...I have no clue....... I have a pic of myself as my avatar......perhaps those of you who are going through the same thing or have gone through this could give me a hand........ the last time I was anywhere near a healthy weight I was 13......... I am so confused
Robbynmarie k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/157 (briefly) 170-180ish

Height: 5"9

Hey Robynn,

there is another current thread that might help you also on this subject...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-s...al-weight.html.

Obviously you have to decide for yourself, but my suggestion would be to set your goal weight for the moment at around 150, as a nice round number, and still within healthy BMI for your height (it would be 24.2)

Then stop thinking about it for a while, and focus on more short term goals, when you get a little closer to goal, you can re-evaluate then, when you yourself will have a clearer idea.

best of luck!
Ellie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

I picked what is just about a healthy BMI - nearer goal if that's unrealistic I will change it. 154lb is the lowest I remember being so I would be happyish being 154-168lb but want to see if I can get to a "normal" BMI. I do have large hips and thighs though and was always a little muscular so not so sure BMI is so accurate for me so I'm going to see what my weight does nearer to goal - my goal is just a guideline at the moment. I would love to go to the doctors and be told my weight is normal though
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

To be honest you have plenty of time to worry about your ultimate goal. Focus on smaller goals and before you know it it'll be time for you to set a precise goal. I like to think of it as architecture. If you're an architect who's assigned to build a building your first worry is the foundation... not what color you're going to paint the windowsills, know what I mean? Your goal weight is just a detail, it's better to focus on changing your lifestyle and building your foundation of fitness before you get bogged down in the details of goal weight.

The calculators I checked indicate that for my height I should weigh no more than 145. My goal is to be 150 and then worry about getting to "ideal" weight after I have achieved that.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #5  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I picked a 160 because it was exactly 100 pounds from where I started and because that sounds like a great number to me. Once I reach 160 I'll reevaluate what more I should do according to how I'm looking and feeling.

I agree with the others, don't get hung up on some number that is off in the distance. Try sticking to smaller goals and celebrate each one you make.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 243/142/120

Height: 5'2"

I picked the weight that just gets me into healthy range for my height. When I get there, if I want to keep going I will probably shoot for the middle of my healthy range.
Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

I do not think that we necessarily need a goal weight, at least not until we are closer to eaching it. How about just doing what you are doing for the moment, see how you feel as you are losing and then determnie what is right for you?

For the moment, you have your mini goals, so that you are not without somethign to work towards?
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/169/140

Height: 5'7

I am going to see how I feel as I get closer to my goal
mommybug77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Don't worry about the number, you have plenty of time as you lose to decide where your body feels comfortable.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #10  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I still don't *really* have a goal weight. I'd like to lose 10 more pounds, but I'm scared it would be even harder to keep off. So for now I'm just trying to maintain for a few months and see what happens. Maybe you should talk to your doctor. Mine suggested around 150, but is thrilled at where I'm at now too.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote