100 lb. Club - 650 pound virgin

View Full Version : 650 pound virgin

Trazey34
07-10-2009, 10:14 PM
There's a TLC special on Sunday, the 650-lb Virgin - a guy lost over 400 lbs. and went from "dud to stud" i watched this clip on Today and the dude is SMOKIN" HOT now!!! he had to have 3 or 4 surgeries to fix the excess skin, but wow what a transformation!!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/31845266/ns/today_relationships/?gt1=43001

Jennelle
07-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I just read that story on MSNBC. He lost his weight in 26 months without gastric bypass surgery. I'm definitely watching on Sunday night!

Late to the game
07-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Unbelievable, I'll watch.

angelanicole23
07-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Unbelievable....such an inspiration..if he can do this, anyone can!

goinskinny
07-10-2009, 11:05 PM
That's crazy. What a powerful story! Thanks for posting it. Definitely going to watch.

Trazey34
07-10-2009, 11:09 PM
his trainer said a neat thing - about how going from 'everything' to 'nothing' is feeling way too deprived, so he couldn't have pizza/ice cream/treats every day, but he could have something small every OTHER day... like the dangling carrot, can't have it today but tomorrow there's something waiting! i like that!

CLCSC145
07-10-2009, 11:52 PM
What a nice story! Amazing!

SavingServo
07-11-2009, 12:22 AM
I wish I had TLC! Or that they would put these things on hulu. I could meld to my couch watching trashy docs. Them and BBC 2 I don't know WHY they're not on Hulu.

Arctic Mama
07-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Out of curiousity alone I must watch!

dragonwoman64
07-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I saw that clip too, I agree he's a babe now. wow, what a journey that must have been.

GirlyGirlSebas
07-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Wow! Inspirational.

Smiling_Sara
07-11-2009, 04:04 PM
It kinda bothers me that they felt they had to put virgin in the title. Makes me feel like they will focus 50% on his weight loss and 50% on the fact that he is a virgin, when it should be 100% on his weight loss. Why not say 650 lb man loses 410?

kiramira
07-11-2009, 04:10 PM
SO glad to see the above post. It seems to me like TLC is becoming our version of the modern day freak show --
TWINS, JOINED AT THE HEAD
WORLD'S SMALLEST PEOPLE
THE 750 LB MAN
THE WORLD'S HEAVIEST MOM
THE MAN WHOSE ARMS EXPLODED
THE 650 LB VIRGIN

GOD, it is SICKENING. The titles sound like billboards that you used to see years ago at the circus, but you don't see them anymore because the shameless display of human extremes is inappropriate. Except, apparently, on TLC...
IF the program is about his weight loss story, who CARES if he's ever had sex! Call it something else. Like "The Most Inspiring Story of the Year", or "What a Transformation" or "I did it, and YOU CAN TOO -- the story of Joe Blow..." IF the story is about him finally having sex, then don't bring his weight into it!!!
Gaaak....

rant over

Kira

kswood87
07-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Well I'm not surprised about the title, TLC like any other station is always looking for ratings. Besides that though I think it is a very inspirational story I mean so many people think they could never lose the weight and they just have too much to lose and what not. Hopefully it will really help those see that it is possible.

luvja
07-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I seen the preview last week, I totally want to see this!

seagirl
07-11-2009, 10:25 PM
He was the one who contacted the tv station in the first place. And part of his journey is the lack of a relationship due to his weight and his psychological issues.

HVEECK
07-11-2009, 10:41 PM
I want to see this too. I saw him on some talk show the other day and I guess him and his trainer live together!! How awesome would that be, to have a live in trainer.
the title is kind of rediculous, but they always have those eye grabbing titles. thats the media for you.

LitChick
07-12-2009, 12:19 AM
I think what this man did is an amazing achievement and he's will serve as an inspiration for many.

What bothers me about this article is that it talks about how he wanted to set himself on fire as a means of killing himself, and then in the next paragraph the writer calls David Smith's former self "a gelatinous blob" - gee, you think maybe it's comments like that that help make fat people feel like they're not as good as the "normal" people?

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive but that comment really pissed me off.

Idealmuse
07-12-2009, 12:43 AM
"It kinda bothers me that they felt they had to put virgin in the title"

The title kinda bothers me too. Seems like kinda a crappy way to present the story no matter how motivational it is and what a way to perpetuate stereotypes about overweight people. Doesn't mean i won't watch but yeah... tacky and unfortunate.

Jennelle
07-12-2009, 12:57 AM
"The Man Whose Arms Exploded?" Is that seriously a title? Or is it just an excellent way of making your point? :lol:

bacilli
07-12-2009, 10:02 AM
After watching a clip on MSNBC, the guy clearly said he made the documentary, it was his choice, he contacted local new stations to get them to track his progress etc. It was his way of keeping himself motivated. While I do find TLC to be lacking in tact, this time he actually filmed it all, titled it, and it ran on local stations in his area before TLC got involved.

TraceyElaine
07-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Amazing story. Can't wait to watch. I love these documentaries because they may seem extreem to some people but they are a reality and hit home foralot of people. I don't think they will focus on him loosing his verginity. It is a family show but I think it is just a play on the (40 year old virgin) title. The relationship and intimacy factor is a reality and i'm sure, important to him. He's a young guy and that would be something huge that he would have missed out on in life. Other young guys in his situation are likely going through the same thing and will relate.

TraceyElaine
07-12-2009, 11:23 AM
"The Man Whose Arms Exploded?" Is that seriously a title? Or is it just an excellent way of making your point? :lol:

lol. It was a documentary on steroid use. This man used excessive amounts and got a hematoma or something on his arm. so the literaly exploded i guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj3De6s3ZjQ

kiramira
07-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi there!
NO JOKE:
http://tlc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/special.html?paid=2.14410.55107.0.0
That WAS the TITLE of the program. It was about a steroid-using body builder who obsesses about his biceps and injected solutions directly into the muscles to make them grow, to the point where they ruptured through the skin.
NO JOKE...
:barf:

Kira

Trazey34
07-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I know, the titles are just horrifying and ridiculous - i definitely would have passed it by had i not stumbled on that little article. And in his clip, he wouldn't answer Matt Lauer if the 'virgin' thing is applicable any longer, which is good, that means it won't focus on that stupid thing alone. He was very brave and showed his body now, even after 2 surgies, with the spare flesh hanging off him, that takes guts! no pun intended ;)

kitten007799
07-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Wouldn't have known this would've been on had no one posted. I'll watch just to see how it goes. Thanks for posting.

Elladorine
07-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Wow, I recognize the guy from some photos a friend sent me a while back. Looks like it's on again around lunchtime today so I should be able to check it out. :)

nelie
07-12-2009, 01:30 PM
I know, the titles are just horrifying and ridiculous - i definitely would have passed it by had i not stumbled on that little article. And in his clip, he wouldn't answer Matt Lauer if the 'virgin' thing is applicable any longer, which is good, that means it won't focus on that stupid thing alone. He was very brave and showed his body now, even after 2 surgies, with the spare flesh hanging off him, that takes guts! no pun intended ;)

That is even more bothersome in that his sex life is being aired. Was a virgin, no longer. I've seen quite a few of the stories where people have lost large amounts of weight, they are quite fascinating.

One of my favorites was from a magazine where a lady was bedbound but she started lifting weights in bed and eventually lost 300 lbs or so.

WhitePicketFences
07-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Oh, I'm so glad I opened this. Going to watch it tonight (husband is groaning, ha).

BTW, that online piece says it is on at 10 tonight but tv guides say it is on at 8 p.m. and then again at 11 p.m.

dcapulet
07-12-2009, 05:26 PM
It kinda bothers me that they felt they had to put virgin in the title. Makes me feel like they will focus 50% on his weight loss and 50% on the fact that he is a virgin, when it should be 100% on his weight loss. Why not say 650 lb man loses 410?

you know, i felt that way too. like being a virgin made him 650lbs, or vice versa.

but i'll watch. i'm a documentary addict.

Jasmine
07-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Love the storyline, hate the title.

What a wonderful guy, to think that he put himself out there, in the public eye, with the desire and motivation to lose weight with a goal in mind...and he actually accomplished that goal! I am impressed, amazed, dazzled....all at the same time.

However, the fact that he was a "virgin" at the start of his journey means nothing to me...it pisses me off that TLC uses this as a sensational title to attempt to attract viewers...he should have never been so open. Maybe he regrets it now, but too late.

kiramira
07-12-2009, 09:32 PM
So, I'm watching the show and at the BEGINNING, it shows that this is about his quest to find a girlfriend, and shows him going to bars and out on dates, and saying that he'll be "horrible at sex at first" and filling out an online dating form.
His weight loss story seems to be "background"...for now...
sigh...
Kira

Smiling_Sara
07-12-2009, 09:45 PM
"It kinda bothers me that they felt they had to put virgin in the title"

The title kinda bothers me too. Seems like kinda a crappy way to present the story no matter how motivational it is and what a way to perpetuate stereotypes about overweight people. Doesn't mean i won't watch but yeah... tacky and unfortunate.

That's how I kind of saw it. As someone who is an adult and a virgin, I didn't like seeing it in the title. If it was his wish to put it in there, then so be it, I guess. But I know for me, it's certainly not something I'm very open about at all, and I think if they wanted a way to tell the viewers he was a virgin was ask him about it in the documentary.

Jennelle
07-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Okay...I'm watching the second showing of it (10 PM CST) and maybe this is mean (and cyber-slap me if it is), but his sister Jennifer? The one on the right side of the bench talking about his food addiction? Is this a situation of "pot, meet kettle" or what?

SunshineCA
07-13-2009, 12:45 AM
I haven't seen the show yet but his story is amazing! I could care less about the virgin part.

harrismm
07-13-2009, 12:57 AM
I saw it.I like 40 year old virgin better!!Hee Hee!

Jennelle
07-13-2009, 01:03 AM
I just finished watching it and it was pretty disappointing. It barely talked about his weight loss journey at all; it was all about him learning to be comfortable around women. There were parts of it that were absolutely painful to watch. When he was with the "flirting coach" learning how to get a girl's number, I flat-out COULDN'T watch! I changed the channel for a minute or two until that part was over.

Definitely not the best TLC show I've ever seen. They can do better.

luvja
07-13-2009, 01:48 AM
Okay...I'm watching the second showing of it (10 PM CST) and maybe this is mean (and cyber-slap me if it is), but his sister Jennifer? The one on the right side of the bench talking about his food addiction? Is this a situation of "pot, meet kettle" or what?

LMAO yes, I thought the same thing. She herself has weight issues.... :?:

I watched the show, I liked it. I give him props, he inspires me. However, the saggy skin part scares the crap out of me.

TraceyElaine
07-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Watched it and loved it. They talked about alot of things this guy had to go through because of his obesity. Not just missing out on dating girls. But at his age to miss out entierly on his teen years and now to have a chance, OF COURSE it's like on the top of his priority list. He is a lil socialy akward but very sincere and sweet. If a dating coach helps him out then good for him. He deserves to find love like anyone else he just may need more help then some people.

Sandi
07-13-2009, 10:27 AM
I liked it, but I was a little discouraged because he had so much surgery after. The saggy skin, I get. The eyes and Teeth I get. But what did they do to his face?

foxxy511
07-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I watched it too and I agree with Jennelle...the flirting part was mega awkward. But, I think the show was mainly supposed to be geared towards his search for love, not necessarily his weight loss, so I wasn't disappointed that they didn't focus on that. I liked it overall, but I'm a sucker for TLC shows, haha.

His trainer was really cute too... :)

Oh, and did anyone else watch the show that was on right before it? I think it was called "I Eat 33,000 Calories A Day" or something like that. I think it was a re-run, but I'd never seen it. It was a real eye-opener for me and it made me think back to when I didn't account for what I ate. I really wonder how many calories I was taking in and just didn't realize! Plus, it just amazes me how much money they spent on food in a single day. I thought it was a really interesting show.

WhitePicketFences
07-13-2009, 10:54 AM
foxxy, I only saw the last few minutes, but a mention of 9,000 calories a day made me think of money instantly. Guess I am poor, but I am going broke eating no higher than the 1300s!

Anyway, I really liked that TLC special. The focus on dating and (to an extent) sex was very apt, I thought, as it's important and unique to his story. (Yes, that flirting coaching = cringeworthy, though!)

I am going to look out for more things like this, so thanks for posting it. I have actually been renting weight-related things lately; the most recent was Fat Chance (definitely not inspirational re: weight loss, but just interesting to me because I am obsessed with this topic ...)

eggshell
07-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Does anyone know if it is posted somewhere the kind of diet that he followed?

I watched the show lastnight and was very interesting

better health3
07-13-2009, 04:04 PM
I just finished watching it and it was pretty disappointing.

I felt exactly the same. Here they had a perfect opportunity to educate people on how his weight loss was aqccomplished. How much exercise did he do? What exercises did he perform? What did he eat? What did he go through psychologically to not quit or give up? That is why I watched it. No offense to him, but I didn't watch it for a reality dating show. I wish him the best.:D I felt the advertising was misleading.:(

Star2Be
07-14-2009, 12:35 AM
WOW, I'm late coming to this thread and didn't get a chance to watch this, but I just have to say--what an amazing transformation! It must be so shocking and surreal for him to go from essentially being ignored by women to being so dreamy (heh). He feels like the same person on the inside, and yet suddenly he's getting so much more attention. I wonder if he even realizes how great he looks! I am quite intrigued by this story. Even though it seems as though many of you were underwhelmed by the show, I definitely want to look it up now... :chin:

mommykate
07-15-2009, 03:09 PM
I am amazed by your weight loss....congrats!! i hope i can get as motivated as you are!!

Trazey34
07-15-2009, 11:12 PM
They're re-running it tonight on TLC (in Canada) and I kind of hate it already! it seems to be all about his dating life - yawn! And the sisters being interviewed, and talking about HIS addicitons??? the one is about 320 herself, i don't think she knows!!

lottie63
07-16-2009, 03:28 AM
I watched that clip. How amazing, good for him! It gave me hope.

but I swear him and his "room mate" trainer are dating.

how cute. :)

Kisigin
02-25-2013, 09:36 PM
I hate to bump such an old thread and this may have been discussed on another, I looked around but couldn't find any. I feel so bad for this guy but I just found out he gained almost all of it back. Man, I was really pulling for him. He says he's committed to losing it again.

Tziri
02-25-2013, 09:41 PM
I hate to bump such an old thread and this may have been discussed on another, I looked around but couldn't find any. I feel so bad for this guy but I just found out he gained almost all of it back. Man, I was really pulling for him. He says he's committed to losing it again.

Really? That's kind of depressing. :( At least he wants to lose it all again though.

MissKoo
02-25-2013, 11:26 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/06/david-smith-regains-weight_n_1574170.htmlSad but true.

ASaladandaDream
02-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Wow! What an inspiration! & he's smokin!!

fattymcfatty
02-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Wow. That is crazy.

ASaladandaDream
02-25-2013, 11:49 PM
he gained it back? oh no... :'(

deadkittens
02-26-2013, 02:37 AM
he gained all the weight back and lost his girlfriend and hes bed bound because he broke his leg. hes in a nursing home. i understand gaining back some weight but over 300 pounds?. also its a tad bit ungreatful of him considering he got atleast 100k worth of free plastic surgery including veneers..i think his teeth alone were 30k. would have liked to see all that money and effort go into someone who would appreciate it and maintain it. hes probably going to beg for more free surgery if he loses the weight again.

heres a link to his youtube page if anyone wants to see how he looks now.
http://www.youtube.com/user/david630lbs

i just think david was one big douche bag. if you watch other specials he was on and looking for a girlfriend he only wanted a super hot girlfriend and was really cocky and rude about it. he thought too much of himself after losing the weight and he still wasnt hot because he was covered in huge scars and loose skin and he was incredibly socially awkward and weird.

at first i felt bad for him because his trainer "friend" seemed to have taken alot of advantage of him for his own gain then ditched him and he also made him lose massive amounts of weight by using water pills and lots of sketchy stuff. but then i saw other specials he was on and eh i dont like the guy.

ASaladandaDream
02-26-2013, 02:52 AM
This makes me think of how amazing the body is... you lose 400lbs, and cut off all the loose skin, then gain weight back up to 500 lbs, and grow more skin! I know this is random... lol, it's pretty late at night, but wow, isn't that kind of cool?

Im weird.

Goodnight.

Kisigin
02-26-2013, 06:29 PM
ASaladandaDream, you're not weird. Have you ever seen those cases when someone has a large part of their skin removed for medical reasons and then they put balloons under the adjacent area and are able to grow more skin to graft on? It's pretty cool.

dk, sorry if this has been discussed before or if I'm being inappropriate but may I ask what is the deal with your name?

rodeogirl
02-26-2013, 09:36 PM
I only saw the special and the video link from the Huffington Post article but from what I saw this guy goes through what many people go through as far as struggling to change their identity internally.

I mean I lost 50lbs 4 years ago and managed to gain most of it back. I'm not sure that's really all that different. I've steadily gained over my life from the 200's in high school to 250's in college to 300's in post-college life.

Granted I didn't see him look only for hot girls (though I saw his girlfriend in the Huffingtonpost link and she was still with him....and seemed like a normal gal, not a proverbial hottie) so maybe he did get a big ego but...losing that much weight that fast AND getting media attention would probably go to my head too....

I dunno, I don't judge him because anyone could judge me just as easily.

Kisigin
02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Hey rodeogirl, I think you're right about the identity part. I've read that people who win the lottery of all things have identity issues. A lot of them suffer from depression. From the outside people only see the good part of losing weight or winning a large sum of money but the people who've experienced it struggle to make sense of it all.

rodeogirl
03-01-2013, 02:47 AM
I think people sometimes believe that if they were thin or rich they would have a perfect, problem free life. When they become thin or rich and realize they still have most of the same problems they had before they don't know what to put their hope in.

You can't put your hope in something as fleeting as weight or money, imo.

Tenoreo90
03-01-2013, 09:42 AM
I hate to be the downer here, but I remember seeing that guy a few years ago and he was back up to about 300 and steadily packing on weight again-I don't think he had dealt with the emotional issues underlying his weight issues. :/ It's a reminder that extreme weight loss is definitely NOT just physical-it's dealing with your whole person.