Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Default storing blueberries: mixed messages

I want to pick up a pint of bluies when I go shopping and I get mixed messages about how to store them. The Eat This, Not That supermarket guide says to store them in an airtight container for 5-7 days, but on the Today show they said to store berries (all berries, they didn't single out bluies) in their original clamshell container for the cross-ventilation. (Both agree against washing them, at least until you're ready to eat them, Today says because that promotes moldiness.) What do you recommend?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #2  

I leave mine in the original container and wash just before I eat them. They stay fine for well over a week.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I also keep mine in the container and wash just before eating. I don't know that mine last a week because almost all of us love blueberries!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #4  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Since I use blueberries mostly in baking I swish them around in a vinegar/water solution bath, let them drain on paper towels for a few minutes, then put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. When frozen I transfer them in a labelled and dated ziploc bag.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #5  

Great tips! Thanks!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I store mine in an airtight tupperware container in the fridge (I buy them at the farmers' market, so they don't come in a clamshell container). I also wash them before storing them because I'm too lazy to wash them just before eating them. Some of the berries start to get a little soft by the end of the week (on the rare occasions that they've lasted that long), but I've never had them get moldy.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 07-10-2009 at 09:30 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchworkpenguin View Post
Since I use blueberries mostly in baking I swish them around in a vinegar/water solution bath, let them drain on paper towels for a few minutes, then put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. When frozen I transfer them in a labelled and dated ziploc bag.
Thanks for the information on how to freeze them - I got a flat (6 pints for $6.99) at my grocery store last week and went on a baking frenzy. After all that, I STILL have 2 pints left. I am not sure I can bake another thing right now. Was considering freezing the rest and using them in smoothies and such.
healthymom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

.99 a pint here--yep, I bought tons..am buying more on Wednesday...I have a huge upright freezer and since I typically eat blueberries daily---
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

.99 a pint here--yep, I bought tons..am buying more on Wednesday...I have a huge upright freezer and since I typically eat blueberries daily---
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote