Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - storing blueberries: mixed messages

ANOther
07-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I want to pick up a pint of bluies when I go shopping and I get mixed messages about how to store them. The Eat This, Not That supermarket guide says to store them in an airtight container for 5-7 days, but on the Today show they said to store berries (all berries, they didn't single out bluies) in their original clamshell container for the cross-ventilation. (Both agree against washing them, at least until you're ready to eat them, Today says because that promotes moldiness.) What do you recommend?

LindaT
07-10-2009, 02:10 PM
I leave mine in the original container and wash just before I eat them. They stay fine for well over a week.

ANewCreation
07-10-2009, 02:57 PM
I also keep mine in the container and wash just before eating. I don't know that mine last a week because almost all of us love blueberries!

patchworkpenguin
07-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Since I use blueberries mostly in baking I swish them around in a vinegar/water solution bath, let them drain on paper towels for a few minutes, then put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. When frozen I transfer them in a labelled and dated ziploc bag.

SunshineCA
07-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Great tips! Thanks! :)

BlueToBlue
07-10-2009, 10:30 PM
I store mine in an airtight tupperware container in the fridge (I buy them at the farmers' market, so they don't come in a clamshell container). I also wash them before storing them because I'm too lazy to wash them just before eating them. Some of the berries start to get a little soft by the end of the week (on the rare occasions that they've lasted that long), but I've never had them get moldy.

healthymom01
07-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Since I use blueberries mostly in baking I swish them around in a vinegar/water solution bath, let them drain on paper towels for a few minutes, then put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. When frozen I transfer them in a labelled and dated ziploc bag.

Thanks for the information on how to freeze them - I got a flat (6 pints for $6.99) at my grocery store last week and went on a baking frenzy. After all that, I STILL have 2 pints left. I am not sure I can bake another thing right now. Was considering freezing the rest and using them in smoothies and such.

Thighs Be Gone
07-14-2009, 12:26 AM
.99 a pint here--yep, I bought tons..am buying more on Wednesday...I have a huge upright freezer and since I typically eat blueberries daily---

Thighs Be Gone
07-14-2009, 12:26 AM
.99 a pint here--yep, I bought tons..am buying more on Wednesday...I have a huge upright freezer and since I typically eat blueberries daily---