Weight Loss Support - Eating habits

View Full Version : Eating habits

stargzr
07-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I was reading through the threads this morning and a thought crossed my mind. I have an eating habit that I think I am just not yet ready to break. I'm sure others have to struggle with this too, anything from still having that bag of chips, to drinking a soda every day, or something along those lines.

What is it that you are not yet willing to give up?

miss_elisha
07-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Coffee with lots of sugary creamer. I have tried so many different things--no creamer, FF milk instead of creamer, drinking tea, whatever--but there's still nothing that can replace that yummy coffee first thing in the morning.

peccavi
07-09-2009, 01:02 PM
For the longest time, I could not and would not give up ice cream. I used to eat anywhere from half a pint to a pint almost every day, and 8 months into my new lifestyle I was still eating it often. I never told myself it was a forbidden food, because I think that would have been my breaking point. I just worked it into my calories.

I don't think you should give up all the "unhealthy" foods you loved until you're ready or you can find a truly acceptable replacement.

forestroad
07-09-2009, 01:04 PM
For me the thing that sticks out is a habit I haven't been able to add-- weightlifting. I've been so good at increasing my cardio, but I just can't see weightlifting as a habit I will be able to add to my lifestyle and maintain.

seagirl
07-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't think there's anything I need to give up. I count calories so there are no "off limit" foods. I can easily have a beer or glass of wine with dinner. Some bread and butter (my junk food) can fit into my day every so often with no problems.

I know that if I over indulge in these things then I'm giving up a lot more than I would be if I just stayed on track and in control.

Fox
07-09-2009, 01:08 PM
For me it's booze. I'm simply not willing to give up having some drinks on the weekends! Sometimes I try to curb the effects and choose a drink that's a little lower calorie than my favorite beer (which has nearly 200 calories per bottle!) but other times I just drink what I want.

caryesings
07-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Seems like every list of good eating habits tells you to not eat while reading, on the computer or watching television. I have no interest in just eating. Will always do it with a distraction unless I'm eating with someone else (biggest distraction of all)

wendyland
07-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Tea that is sweetened with sugar. I feel like I could give up all other sugary treats except sugar in my tea. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

HungryHungryHippo
07-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I have to make a really big effort not to sit at the computer while I eat, if I am alone.

I refuse to weigh and measure fish or vegetables.

p7eggyc
07-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Beverages, particularly chai lattes from SB. When I was in more strict weight loss mode, I was down to 1x per week on my chai and very rare alcohol. I really don't want to go even that low at this point so I'm accepting a slower loss rate in the interest of having an occasional yummy beverage. I'm down to about 3 latte's a week where I was up to 7-8 this winter. I'm really sick of black tea and water. I did have some success with an iced white peach tea this week that I cold brewed. I'm going to try some green tea next because I don't care for it warm but might like it iced and I have a ton to use up in my cupboard (gifts).

Peg

canadianangel
07-09-2009, 02:11 PM
i refuse to give up treats...we cant cut out all bad stuff from our healthy life style changes...we need to accept that there will be times whe we are out with family and friends, and its okay to share that pice of cheese cake..just dont have the whole cake...

Pita09
07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
I refuse to give up dark chocolate. I have two small squares of Dove everyday and I fit it into my daily calorie allowance.

I also won't give up coffee (hot or iced) or Chai tea, but I do use Splenda and fat-free half-n-half. I sometimes worry about the amount of Splenda I use and really hope it doesn't start doing anything weird to my body.

joyinSF
07-09-2009, 02:52 PM
omg, one thing i cannot give up is coffee. well, i fill my cup half way with coffee and the rest with hot water. then i put in two teaspoons of the non dairy vanilla cream, and put a packet of splenda. its actually good. but i end up with a headache..

pita, i never thought id be able to give up chocolate, but i did. i couldve sworn that i was such a chocoholic..now i dont crave it. YAY!!!!!!

Glory87
07-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Splurge meals in restaurants - once a week. Went to a Brazilian steak house last night and definitely over indulged. I'm maintaining my weight and the weekly splurges are within my plan, but I really should try harder not to go "all out"!

rachinma
07-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Pizza goldfish.

grneyedmustang
07-09-2009, 03:54 PM
CHOCOLATE. I've toned it down, and found snacks that don't totally blow the diet (Chocolate Covered Strawberries anyone?) - but I REFUSE to give it up.

And wine - I drink it, usually :) in moderation.

nelie
07-09-2009, 08:53 PM
My weight loss journey hasn't been about giving up things but more about discovering things that I love. Now there are a lot of things that I eat rarely and in moderation such as dark chocolate and bread. I may have 'given up' a lot of stuff as part of my journey but it was all stuff I was willing to give up and I discovered so much other good stuff.

nooch
07-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Dumplings from the chinese restaurant. Less often, but I really love them and could never give them up entirely.

The thing I thought I would rather die than live without - chocolate fudge brownie ice cream - has vanished without a whimper as I haven't had it since before I got married and I think about it sometimes but I don't wake up thinking about it whereas I do wake up thinking about dumplings.

ANewCreation
07-10-2009, 12:14 AM
There are so many things for this new lifestyle I think I won't give up. Who knows? I have only been at this for a couple of weeks, things could change. Right now I'm more about portion control and modifying things to work better for me.

For now, I won't give up my coffee or desserts. I will change the amounts and types I have. Gave up my half and half in the coffee and going with lowfat milk. I can live with that--happily because the important thing is the coffee! Not gonna give up my ice cream but I am very happy with the Blue Bunny sugarless ice cream (banana split is my fav) and I will very happily eat only eat the recommended amount.

Maybe I'm kiddding myself but I don't know if I can maintain a 'give it up' type of lifestyle. Like I said, I guess I'll have to see.....;

Onederchic
07-10-2009, 12:18 AM
My weakness is potaotes in any form, especially chips. I have wrangled the cravings for the most part though I do allow myself a handful of chips or fries but it is very rarely because I know that if I do it more often, I won't be able to stop.

Thighs Be Gone
07-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Pizza and popcorn on Friday nights.

srmb60
07-10-2009, 06:15 AM
I'm pretty lenient and don't think I'd totally give up anything. However ... I have learned to cut my french vanilla creamer with soy milk.

train
07-10-2009, 06:54 AM
I'm with chunkychic - its all about the chips!

MotoMichelle
07-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Nothing is completely off limits, but my biggest cut back struggle has been the coffee as well.

I've found Truvia which I love, love, love. I use it as my sweetner so I'm happy there.

The problem is the creamer. I tried FF milk, light plain soymilk, etc. I also tried switching to hot tea (which I like) but that's just not what I want in the morning when I get to the office.

I finally decided that I was going to accept the calories for the creamer. So every M-F I work 90 calories into my plan for 2 tbsp of creamer. Just one cup satisfies me, so I'm good to go after that. :D

SlimmingDownSouth
07-10-2009, 01:16 PM
For me... it is obvious... WINE :cheers:

The exploration, the variety! Paying attention to the bouquet, the legs, the mouth feel, the impact, the flavor, the finish!!

Good news? At tastings, it is acceptable to swish and spit!! :lol3:

JulieJ08
07-10-2009, 01:35 PM
There are so many things for this new lifestyle I think I won't give up. Who knows? I have only been at this for a couple of weeks, things could change.

Maybe I'm kiddding myself but I don't know if I can maintain a 'give it up' type of lifestyle. Like I said, I guess I'll have to see.....;

What I found was that after time I stopped eating a number of things (or have them much, much less) without any "giving up," because your tastes change!

Cali Doll
07-10-2009, 05:26 PM
MILK! 2%! But not long ago, I was a Vitamin D drinking kinda gal...and I'd down a gallon of it in 2 days....easily! (no wonder I gained weight!)

Now, I only use it for cereal and oatmeal, but I still crave a nice BIG glass of ice cold milk.

pucedaisy
07-10-2009, 11:18 PM
The hardest habit for me to give up is have a BIG bowl of food. I really enjoy tucking into a big, hearty plateful that won't be finished in 3 bites and leave me feeling like, "that's it?." I can't really imagine eating that 2 oz "serving size" of pasta! I've found that I'd rather eat a large serving of vegetables than a small serving of pasta.

For lunch these days I usually have a big salad, with as many veggies as I can cram in, lots of colors and crunch. I usually add some of protein- tuna, lentils, chick peas, hard boiled egg, some walnuts, etc. I make a dressing with not-too-much olive oil and lots of flavor- mustard, herbs, whatever. It's a very satisfying meal but I don't feel stuffed or groggy.

My dinners now also center around vegetables. Vegetable-based soups, stews, stir-fries- heaps of vegetables. I just had a big bowl of carrot-zucchini soup, and I'm about to go have a little more! It's basically just carrots, zucchini and onion simmered in homemade veggie broth and spiced with cumin, coriander and lemon. So another 1/2 bowl isn't doing any damage.

I feel satisfied and I'm losing weight. I've given up, for now, the foods that are too caloric in larger portions, unless they serve as an accent for my veggies. I'm fortunate in that I do love vegetables (especially kale!) and I love to cook.

I've quit the habit of drinking wine at home (believe me, I drank a LOT of wine at home). I will still drink it with friends- that's not a habit I want to break. I have an Italian friend who loves wine but NEVER drinks it alone, and I always thought that was strange. It makes a lot of sense now.

Your original post was about eating habits, and for me that has been the key. I've kept the habit of having satisfying portions, but changed the habitual foods I often ate.