General chatter - Who else doesn't watch tv?

View Full Version : Who else doesn't watch tv?

nelie
07-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I know to say I don't watch tv is pretty simplistic. I don't have cable and although prior to our move (2 years ago) we did have an HD antennae attached to our tv, we never set it up when we moved. So I watch Hulu.com quite a bit plus watch various DVDs, some tv shows, some movies. Some days I don't watch any tv, some days I watch up to an hour or so (depends if i'm watching if exercising or if we decide to watch a movie).

I thought a lot about this since people were referring to media coverage and being overexposed to certain events. For me, I get tidbits of things here and there and check online news outlets for things I want more info about.

So, I know I'm not the only one, who else doesn't really watch tv/have cable/etc?

Renacer
07-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Count me in!

Except for True Blood on Sundays, I'm glued to the couch since baby is already in bed by that time and my husband might be reading.

As a matter of fact, in my house there's a TV and cable because of my husband. When I was single I had a little TV with no cable to watch movies and concerts in DVD.

:)

PinkyPie
07-08-2009, 11:11 AM
well, I'm not completely off TV but I really don't have time for it. Definitely I don't watch more than maybe 1 hour during the week (yes 1 hour, not per day, per week!) and maybe a little bit on the weekend (sat. night). I have to use the precious little extra time I have taking care of myself or cooking for my husband and me, or preparing for the next day(s). On the weekends I'm doing all the errands that I can't do during the week so literally the *only* time I could do it is sat. nights IF we are not watching a movie or something else.

I don't actually miss it, I like having the rest of my life a bit more in control instead :)

jelder227
07-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Do exercise DVD's count? My husband is working out of town for an extended time, and I'm seriously considering disconnecting the cable. My son watches DVD's, and I watch an occasional movie (maybe 1 or 2 a week) on DVD, and that's it. Except, of course, my exercise DVD's.

nelie
07-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Velveteen, I am with you on the 1 hour/week. That happens a lot to me, it does depend though. Some weeks I watch about 5 hours tv, some weeks no tv.

In the US, many people pay for cable tv and when my life started to get busy, I realized I wasn't even turning on the tv most days so we disconnected our cable and stopped paying for it. Of course it is funny here how many offers you will start getting to get cable once you get. I get a lot of offers for showtime, hbo and full cable for $29/month for a year. I even got an offer recently for the same for $19/month. Funny since it was over $50/month when we were paying for it.

JulieJ08
07-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm about to be :D I'm going to dump my cable TV, it's expensive, and because so many channels are available, it's easy to watch all the time. It drives me crazy to be at someone's house and the TV is on All. The. Time. I can't stand it. Yet, it's been creeping into my home. So I'm going to discontinue it. I agree, I can watch an occasional movie or show on my laptop.

Chele615
07-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Ever since the digital switch over, I haven't seen much tv at all. I have an old television set with an antenna in my room and used to watch the news all the time....while on the computer and whatnot, it was always on in the background. Since I can't get any stations anymore and my dad has dibs on the cable every night to watch the Red Sox games, I find that I'm watching dvd's much more now. I think I have watched Mamma Mia about 4 times this past month! haha

Rosinante
07-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I watch FAR too much television - well, not so much watch as just have it humming in the background. I have the botttom rate cable package, because I can't get pictures with just an aerial, for some reason.
I did give up tv one Lent but it crept back pretty quickly!

lizziep
07-08-2009, 01:11 PM
We watch our TV- but we are rarely watching cable. We have a lot of movies, we download or buy the tv shows we like and we usually wait until a season is over with and spend a weekend or a sunday just watching the entire season in one long binge.
so... I guess I'm somewhere in between. The only stuff I watch from cable comes from PBS for the most part. We don't have anything more then basic... and frankly I could live without it.
Now how many hours I spend on my laptop... that's another story.

kiramira
07-08-2009, 02:12 PM
I watch TV! Happily! Proudly!
I especially enjoy TLC, the Discovery Health channel, Life, and Documentary. Oh, and the movie channels.
Some people like to go out to movies: I like to wait and watch them at home.
Some people like to go to sporting events: I like to watch them at home.
So it forms the bulk of my "entertainment" budget...
I guess I'm a homebody!
:)
Kira

stellarwbz
07-08-2009, 02:14 PM
I can't remember the last time I sat down to watch tv. I've got no time to. In a month I will have probably watched about 2 hours of tv. I don't have cable, and my tv screen is tiny.

nelie
07-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I watch some of my favorite TLC shows on Hulu.com or other places :) Actually we don't go to the movies either, I really rather watch movies at home.

Oh also we did have a Netflix subscription for a while until we had the same DVDs sitting near the tv for a month going unwatched. We did recently talk about getting Netflix again to watch some foreign films.

Our entertainment budget is spent mostly on DVDs. I bought Edward Scissorhands yesterday for $4.99. I love Johnny Depp. We also scout Best Buy for movies $6 and under. They have good movies on sale almost every week.

One thing I forgot to mention is we hook up a laptop to our tv so that we can watch online shows on the tv. We do get annoyed by the commercials sometimes although they are less than regular tv. Its good to watch shows that are current though or ones which we don't want to buy. We got a wireless mouse to control the laptop although we do have a remote for it (somewhere) which we haven't set up yet.

FrouFrou
07-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I'll have to read the posts tomorrow...it's crazy, I tell ya! :lol: No tv watching? I wish I could say I don't because I watch waaaaaay too much but I love it, lol. Couldn't imagine life without it...of course I could do without all the talk of Michael Jackson and the such...no offense, I love MJ but enough please.

nelie
07-08-2009, 05:08 PM
of course I could do without all the talk of Michael Jackson and the such...no offense, I love MJ but enough please.

Well that is kind of what I was referring to. I've only heard tidbits on the radio and even that wasn't much. My mom emailed me to ask if I watched the funeral. I didn't know it was being televised :)

mandalinn82
07-08-2009, 05:54 PM
The TV is on a LOT in our house, but I can't remember the last time I sat and -watched- without doing anything else (reading, working, etc)

amy180
07-08-2009, 06:14 PM
When I first got out of college and got my own apartment in 2001 or so, I couldn't afford cable. I had a tv but only used it to watch videos/dvds. Later, I found that I didn't miss it at all! So I still haven't gotten cable after all these years. I even get annoyed when I'm at other people's houses where the TV is on because I can't deal with all the commercials. If I want to watch something, I watch a DVD. It just seems like there is nothing good on when I try to watch TV, anyway, and it largely seems like a waste of time. I'd rather read a book or something, seriously.

CountingDown
07-08-2009, 07:29 PM
DH watches golf sometimes on Sundays. I occasionally catch a few minutes of the news while I'm getting ready for work. Otherwise, the TV is not on in our house. We probably have the TV on about 2-3 hours per week at the most, with some weeks - not at all.

Windchime
07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I watch TV but rarely watch it live because of all the commercials. I have TiVo and record the things I'm interested in. Sometimes if I'm sewing I will turn on the TV to HGTV or something but most of the time if I'm not watching, it's not turned on.

I was at my parents' house for a BBQ the other night and the TV was on LOUD for most of the evening. It's amazing to me how they can sit and converse across the room with that thing sitting there blaring.

silverbirch
07-09-2009, 07:29 AM
We don't even have a television in our house. We're all too busy to watch it! And not having one saves us money.

I listen to the radio - in bed when I'm having my breakfast, in the bathroom, when I'm washing up (er, no dishwasher either). And I read the paper.

Get rid of your TVs. I recommend it. :devil:

rochemist
07-09-2009, 08:10 AM
We don't even have a television in our house. We're all too busy to watch it! And not having one saves us money.

I listen to the radio - in bed when I'm having my breakfast, in the bathroom, when I'm washing up (er, no dishwasher either). And I read the paper.

Get rid of your TVs. I recommend it. :devil:

We have done the same thing. Music is only on when we are preparing meals. Otherwise the home has become a sanctuary for reading, talking, and communicating. If we really feel the need I will pull out my laptop and watch Hulu or a DVD but that hasn't happened in a few months. Love my TV free life!

It also makes going to see movies on the big screen more of a treat!

CyndiM
07-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I am a Daily Show fan, though if I miss I miss it. Other than that I almost never sit in front of the TV. I do listen to a lot of podcasts while driving though and get my news fix that way.

nelie
07-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Oh I love the Daily show and want to go see it live sometime :) They have it and the Colbert report available on the comedy central website. It is a day behind though.

Thighs Be Gone
07-09-2009, 11:37 AM
So very odd.

As one of my indulgences along the way, I would allow myself to watch TV more than I should as long as I wasn't eating off plan. Now, it has lost its appeal to me. I enjoy watching it in the late evening--after dinner, after dishes, after putting the kids into bed. During the day, I watch very little.

Who needs TV when we have the 3FC! LOL.

Renacer
07-09-2009, 01:49 PM
I think I got it from my grandma...But having a TV on all day irritates me, I don't know why.:o Growing up she used to complaint if the TV was on and no one was watching it. As a child I used to spent a lot of time outside the house.

My husban dis the opposite, when we were dating I noticed that he used to wake up and turn on the tv even if he wasn't in front of it...We both are learning to deal with our silly differences.:D

patchworkpenguin
07-09-2009, 03:53 PM
We have Direct TV and Netflix and I have to say we use the Netflix a lot more. I want to watch shows/movies with a plot, and I want to watch shows that leave me feeling good/happy. I'm so sick of these reality/contest shows. Enough already. I just don't see the appeal, and it seems that every new show is along these lines.

We do watch HGTV, FoodNetwork, SciFi, Discovery, BBC {Top Gear}, and the History channel, but we keep talking about getting rid of Direct TV and just sticking with Netflix.

WaterRat
07-09-2009, 04:55 PM
We have basic cable only - which gets us the basic network channels, including PBS. In the summer we maybe watch 3-4 hrs a week, a little more in the winter. We almost never watch movies in the summer, either. We're just not home or inside enough. We tend to watch mostly PBS, though I love The Amazing Race when it's on.

When I'm away from home and in a hotel, esp if I'm by myself, I become a TV junkie with all the cable stuff I never get to see otherwise (and that I don't subscribe because I don't have time to watch it at home).

I really hate it when people have TV playing in their house when they have company. It's like what's on TV is more important than the real live people in the room.

Elladorine
07-10-2009, 05:15 AM
I lived without cable for a few years and never really got back into TV after that. It typically stays off all day until my boyfriend gets home, and while he has certain shows he likes to watch it ends up being little more than background noise for me.

I do have quite a collection of DVD's that I'll pull out when I'm in the mood (I'm somewhat of a cartoon addict), but I seem more interested in whatever I can catch online these days.

I should be spending more time away from this chair though, regardless of whether it's tv or the computer, lol.

junebug41
07-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Wait. So watching "shows" on a laptop on hulu.com is not the same as just watching TV? Am I missing something? I mean, isn't that in essence watching television?

babenwaiting
07-11-2009, 09:33 AM
First, let me say that I don't care whether anyone watches anything on TV or not. BUT, having said that, there's a lot of good programming on TV when you get the broad cable, speciality networks, sports channels, etc. Like anything else, food, music, theater, movies ... you pick the best, you don't just consume it all! I have friends who LIVE on their laptops and Blackberrys, but pride themselves on never watching TV. IMHO, that is ridiculous ... no difference ... and WHY the *attitude* with some? I like a bit of everything in moderation, and don't care what anyone else does! :)

nelie
07-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Wait. So watching "shows" on a laptop on hulu.com is not the same as just watching TV? Am I missing something? I mean, isn't that in essence watching television?

I said I was being pretty simplistic in my definition :) I could've said "who doesn't watch tv everyday? who doesn't watch tv regularly? who doesn't subscribe to cable? who watches tv in other means?" etc etc. I was kind of curious at those that had different tv watching habits. Like I might watch 20 minutes of tv per night while eating dinner but I don't watch tv every night. I might not even watch tv every week. It just depends.

(I'm also going back to school in the fall and expect that it'll be even less once that happens)

nelie
07-11-2009, 10:07 AM
First, let me say that I don't care whether anyone watches anything on TV or not. BUT, having said that, there's a lot of good programming on TV when you get the broad cable, speciality networks, sports channels, etc. Like anything else, food, music, theater, movies ... you pick the best, you don't just consume it all! I have friends who LIVE on their laptops and Blackberrys, but pride themselves on never watching TV. IMHO, that is ridiculous ... no difference ... and WHY the *attitude* with some? I like a bit of everything in moderation, and don't care what anyone else does! :)

I grew up with cable. I remember when we first got it, I think I was around 9 years old. My life really revolved around cable tv. It was normal to watch hours of tv every day. When I moved in with my husband, he wasn't sure he wanted cable, I thought he was crazy. Our lives just got busy and we stopped watching cable. I think the offerings these days are such that you can tailor what you watch without having to pay for cable. I felt quite liberated by not having to spend money on cable and not being exposed to tons of commercials and being able to be selective in what I watch.

I wasn't trying to say "you are bad if you subscribe to cable" or "you are bad if you watch tv every day". I just was curious about others who had different habits than 'the norm'. This wasn't a thread about judgement but more about interest in various tv watching habits.

I have a friend who had a car repossessed, was evicted from an apartment,. has massive debt but has every cable channel possible and also has a cable modem for internet access. If I even mentioned the idea of cutting down on the cable tv or getting rid of, I was being ridiculous.

My parents have a tv in every room and it is constantly on. They have cable and spend hours every night watching tv. She will try to ask me things like "did you watch this", "did you watch that", when she knows I didn't. One thing my mom does though is will watch tv while exercising.

This thread was really started because I saw a few people complaining about media over coverage of certain recent news events. On the other hand, I wasn't exposed to it and really my answer would've been, change the channel? Turn the tv off?

Of course on the other hand, I have my inlaws who have no cable tv, live in an area with poor antennae reception and they have dialup internet access which they rarely use. One thing they do have is a DVD subscription so they do watch tvs/movies but even then not every night.

Jacquie668
07-11-2009, 10:53 AM
We got rid of our cable as it is too expensive and I have a dislike for Cablevision...a big dislike, but you know we need some of their services, but the cable and crap is too expensive. Now we get 4-6 channels with a crappy set of "bunny ears" and a digital converter box (which I hate as well). I watch TV sometimes, but usually I'm happy without it.

Mostly I'm a movie person. I would rather watch endless hours of horror movies, which is available to me online...:D So, I just watch stuff on my computer now and leave the TV for the evenings if the signal comes it. :P

JulieJ08
07-11-2009, 01:15 PM
BUT, having said that, there's a lot of good programming on TV when you get the broad cable, speciality networks, sports channels, etc. Like anything else, food, music, theater, movies ... you pick the best, you don't just consume it all!

Uh, a little thing called a huge cable bill! I'd love to have broad cable (is that the same as premium? I'm not sure what broad cable TV is) and just pick and choose the very best. But the bill isn't worth it for a show here and there. To me, paying for cable only makes sense if you watch a lot.

I agree, I think the time we lose to the internet is bad too. Not the same, because at least we're interacting. And I'm not watching ads - which seem like no big deal until you've gotten them out of your system - then hear them again. They're kinda like sugar that way.

But as far as attitude, well, the noise of background TV just bugs the **** out of me. It did so long before I ever thought I should watch less TV. And yet, for other people, it's comforting, which I just completely can't understand. I start to feel like I'm going to explode if the TV is never off and quiet - and I know people who look like they're going to explode if they won't be allowed to turn the TV on all day long. They literally pace and twitch. So I guess it's a personality thing. You know, the old "There's two kinds of people in the world ..."

babenwaiting
07-11-2009, 01:32 PM
JulieJ08, there are ads on the Internet as well ... in your line of vision, popping up, etc., and most people I know are not interacting on the Internet ... Very few friends and family of mine participate on message boards; they just spend a lot of time reading sites and watching tv shows/videos, etc. on their computer. So I do consider watching TV a lot or being on your computer/Blackberry a lot basically the same.

Obviously, you're not going to spend a lot on cable/premium TV if you can't afford to, and I'm not RECOMMENDING it. I'm just saying that everyone should watch/use what they can afford and what they enjoy, and not feel superior to someone who chooses something different (and I'm not pointing fingers here, just making a statement.) :)

CamiToo
07-11-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't own a television. I haven't had a TV for many years and I don't miss it. The only TV program I watch is The Biggest Loser and I can watch that on my computer. :) I keep up with the news via the internet btw.

nelie
07-11-2009, 02:02 PM
babe - I said in my other post, I wasn't trying to feel superior but I do like hearing from people who have gone away from tv in one way or another. I will also say that tv commercials are strange when you never watch them and then all of a sudden see them. Also, tv really isn't about what you can afford because it wasn't that we couldn't afford cable tv but we just chose to spend our money elsewhere. This thread wasn't started as a criticism.

babenwaiting
07-11-2009, 03:14 PM
nelie, I know you didn't start this thread to criticize ... :) I mentioned the affordability (or not) of cable because several others mentioned the cost. Different people have different reasons for what they do ... I know that.

JulieJ08
07-11-2009, 06:18 PM
JulieJ08, there are ads on the Internet as well ... in your line of vision, popping up, etc., and most people I know are not interacting on the Internet ...

You're using the wrong browser then :) And in any event, hardly the same, at least to me, as several minutes of action and sound as with TV commercials.

Very few friends and family of mine participate on message boards; they just spend a lot of time reading sites and watching tv shows/videos, etc. on their computer.

Ok. Not my experience. YMMV.

nelie
07-11-2009, 07:20 PM
My husband doesn't spend any recreational time online. For me, I do read a couple message boards and sometimes news here and there. My husband was the one that told me about hulu.com. I think he found out from his coworkers.

Anyway, we watch hulu together, usually at dinner time. If we want to watch something longer than a 20/40 minute show, we might just watch one of our DVDs although we hardly ever watch a movie in a single sitting, we generally split it in half, sometimes thirds.