Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #1  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Default Please help me stop slipping!

The last month or so I seem to be slipping once or twice a week. I don't want to lose weight like this. And I flat out don't want to eat this crappy food, which has so little flavour.

Last night, it was BBQ leftovers I should've tossed from the night before (chips, cookies, etc.). We have family visiting again today and I thought I would keep it for them, then pitch what they didn't eat. Nope. One extra day in the house and bad times for me.

So ok, I know not to have this stuff in the house and I usually don't, but what are some other tips to stop this constant slide? Part of it is I'm still exercising and the cheats aren't showing up on the scale like they used to.

But this food is bad, very bad for my body, and I'd like to reverse whatever went off in my brain that has given me permission to cheat so often.

Anyone have any idea how to do that?
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #2  
active kids, active mom

Are you eating enough calories? What sorts of foods are you eating? I find that when I go off plan, it is because I am either hungry from too few calories or I feel deprived because I am eating "diet" food.
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #3  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

Are you feeling deprived? Is the strict diet making you feel like you deserve a treat and you are the eating to stop yourself feeling deprived? That's what I found, and it was only when I started treating myself in other areas that the white hot desire to binge reduced. So I try to make sure that I'm getting my treats in non-calorific ways. I use dvd's, books, eating out (low cal options only, but I don't force myself to cook if I can't be bothered), new clothes, diet drinks, expensive tea.... anything that satisfies my need for a treat. It ain't perfect, and indicates some deep psychological mess that I'm not dealing with, but it stops me binging.

Good luck
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #4  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

"Great minds" knitsforfive!
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

IMHO a "slip" is an unintentional accident. What you have described are out and out binges and the only way to stop them is to remove all destructive food from your home and make a commitment to yourself not to binge anymore. I don't think it has anything to do with how many calories you are eating, or how much exercises...it happening because you have become relaxed and after losing enough to make you "feel" somewhat better, you have lost sight of your ultimate goal. You reached your mini goal, is that really all you wanted? I know you have to feel pretty good at losing almost 40 pounds, but do you realize that after 40 more gone and you will feel twice as good? It really is unbelievable how GOOD a person can feel.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

I am very new so I really don't have alot of advice, everyone here has wonderful suggestions. For me, I only eat food I really love. There are some wonderful recipes on this site, if don't really love it. I don't eat it. You can do it!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #7  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Honest - you don't have to keep the "junk" in the house for anyone! I do keep snacks in the house for my son and husband, but they are more the more nutritious junk foods (pretzels, crackers), and more importantly, foods that don't tempt me. Doritos and Chips Ahoy are NOT allowed! If those skinny guys want them, they get the single serving bags, and that's it.

Also, work on finding rewards that fit into your plan. If they are good enough, you'll stick to plan just to have them. And then by having them, it will be easier to stick to plan because they'll help ease the cravings. A great cycle!

My "reward" right now is 1/2 cup FF Chocolate ice cream, with 1/2 cup fresh raspberries, and 1 tbsp of Lite chocolate syrup. About 145 calories - but it removes all my chocolate and ice cream temptations. And is sinfully good!
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #8  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I agree 100% with Lori!

It sounds more like a binge than you feeling deprived. I know how it happens all too well, you think maybe one or two won't hurt and then you snap out of it to find yourself eating a lot more. Toss that junk in the trash in the future as soon as party guests leave or better yet provide healthy things to snack on (my family is used to it by now lol)...if your visitors are really wanting some junk I'm sure there is a store or gas station near by
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with how many calories you are eating, or how much exercises...it happening because you have become relaxed and after losing enough to make you "feel" somewhat better, you have lost sight of your ultimate goal.
Thanks for the insight ladies. Lori and Tanee, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have just gotten too relaxed.

I DO NOT just want to reach my mini-goal. I DO want to go all the way and I just have to buckle down and KNOW this stuff is not an option, at all, just like it was in the beginning.

It is a binge. I feel like crap today, no matter whether the scale went up and I just have to knock it off.

Thank you for the butt kick!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #10  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Have you thought about trying to do a one or two week detox from the stuff you are addicted to, presumably sugar and starch? I'm on Atkins so part of my lifestyle entails staying far, far away from that stuff. I'm not advocating you to go on Atkins, that's a personal decision, but perhaps completely eliminating sugar/starch from your diet for a few days would help break your cravings for it.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Stop giving yourself permission to eat these things. These things that just make you upset at yourself and keep you from your long term goals. Always, ALWAYS keep in mind what you want the MOST. They are a quick, temporary, dare I say - enjoyment - which are NEVER very enjoyable in the end.

Quote:
I just have to buckle down and KNOW this stuff is not an option, at all, just like it was in the beginning.
That's it. Go back to the beginning. Dieting one oh one. Set up some ground rules for yourself. This stuff is off limits to you. Make your plan - and stick to it - like glue. No veering. Be firm. Before you know it, one day of sticking to your plan will pass and then another and then another - and you will be in a groove and not missing "those foods" at all. They will stop calling your name (& even if they don't, you don't have to answer). You will be thoroughly relieved and well on your way to getting what it is you want the most from life.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
Have you thought about trying to do a one or two week detox from the stuff you are addicted to, presumably sugar and starch? I'm on Atkins so part of my lifestyle entails staying far, far away from that stuff. I'm not advocating you to go on Atkins, that's a personal decision, but perhaps completely eliminating sugar/starch from your diet for a few days would help break your cravings for it.
I personally think this is a very good idea. I did this for two weeks. It was very hard at first, I would have killed for a cracker, but it has seriously helped my cravings.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Go back to the beginning. Dieting one oh one. Set up some ground rules for yourself. This stuff is off limits to you. Make your plan - and stick to it - like glue.
Robin, DC and Scarlet -- this is what I plan to do. Cut this stuff out again. Thank you. Sometimes it just helps to hear from someone else that you just need to knock it off and get on with things.

I appreciate the support ladies!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #14  

You can do it Chickie!!! Congrats on the 38lbs! That is so wonderful!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:15 AM   #15  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

Sometimes I think it is the success of losing a good chunk of weight which leads to a binge (at least in my case,). ANyhow it sounds like you realize what is going on and that is the big thing!! You hang tough!
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote