General chatter - A "THRILLER" Of A Funeral

View Full Version : A "THRILLER" Of A Funeral

EZMONEY
07-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Seriously....I am so :?: confussed :?: about all the attention given to Michael Jackson's death. Of course I know it is "worthy" of news...I admit he was an icon. I just don't get it!...the attention that is.

Doesn't Stevie Wonder have way more #1's than MJ? Weren't they both about the same age when they started in the biz.

I certainly would give the "Moon Walk" award to Neil Armstrong

I seriously doubt either of these guys would get the attention for their funeral the way MJ is.

The city just north of me paid millions to prosecute him years ago and now will spend millions to bury him.

People paying thousands just to come here...to be in the city! Tickets for the funeral going off on e-bay for 10's of thousands....

Sure, he was an interesting entertainer...but hearing people say today that he saved their lives....I could not live unless I was here to say good-bye....it is history....

We had troops die today that won't get any attention outside of friends and family....

MJ seems to be a "god" world wide....

What I want to know is....

WHY?

SunshineCA
07-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Looks like no one's touching this with a 10-foot pole EZ!!! :dancer:

Pooh63
07-06-2009, 10:42 PM
I tried, but my post wouldn't "post." I'll try again.

I think it is all relative. People who grew up listening to his music and dancing the dances and wearing the styles identify deeply. Although I haven't been a fan of his for many years, I remember listening to MJ and the Jackson 5 when I was a child. He became someone who was bigger than life, and had all the tabloid drama that goes along with that kind of fame. Think of all the news coverage of the death of NASCAR's Dale Earnhart- I'm not a racing fan but it seemed to go on forever. The coverage of Princess Diana's death and life made my poor husband groan, "the womans dead, won't they ever let her rest in peace?" while I (a huge fan since my teen years) sat crying and glued to the screen for days. Think of John Lennon, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, etc. etc. The fact that these icons died young and unexpectedly greatly increases the interest. There's also the underlying fear "if this could happen to them without warning, even with all their money and fame, what about me?"

Personally, I've always felt sorry for Michael. He seemed to be a person in deep emotional distress and in his quest to become good enough and perfect enough to please his father, he became a caricature of himself in the last years of his life, the butt of many jokes. I've always hoped that he was not guilty of the crimes he was accused of, but rather the victim of money hungry maniacs who would sell their children for the right amount of cash. But only he, God, and the children know for sure. I can only hope that Michael wil finally rest in peace.

Pooh

mandalinn82
07-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Doesn't Stevie Wonder have way more #1's than MJ? Weren't they both about the same age when they started in the biz.

In a word, no. I'm not a huge MJ fan in terms of his personal life (clearly), but his music was record-breaking and set the bar for musical success.

Musical Accomplishments:

Jackson had nine platinum singles in the United States, trailing only Elvis Presley (27) and Mariah Carey (10). Rihanna also has 9 platinum singles, which are only calculated by the RIAA for a fee, upon request.

Jackson had 16 gold singles in the United States, behind only Elvis Presley (54), Madonna (26), The Beatles (24), Mariah Carey (23), Janet Jackson (21), Whitney Houston (18), Elton John (17) and The Temptations (17).

Jackson's Thriller remained at number one for thirty-seven weeks, the longest-ever stay by a non-soundtrack album and second only to West Side Story.[1]

"Thriller" is the best-selling album in U.S. history, at 50 million.

Jackson was the first artist to have seven Top 10 singles from one album (Thriller), a feat matched only by his sister Janet and Bruce Springsteen.

Jackson jointly holds the record for most Grammy Awards won in a single year. He won eight awards at the 1984 ceremony. This was equaled by Carlos Santana at the 2001 ceremony.

Jackson jointly holds the record for most American Music Awards won in a single year, winning eight awards at the 1984 ceremony. This was equaled by Whitney Houston at the 1994 ceremony.

Jackson jointly holds the record for the most World Music Awards won in a single year, with five awards at the 1996 ceremony (tied with Whitney Houston from the 1994 ceremony).

Jackson holds the record for winning more Billboard awards than any other male artist, having 26.

Jackson holds the record for winning more Billboard awards than any other artist in one year, grabbing 13 in 1983.

Jackson and Presley are the only two artists with 2 sets of at least 5 consecutive number one hits (Jackson's first set was during the Jackson 5 Motown years).

Jackson had nine number one singles in the 1980s, more than any other artist during the decade

Jackson's "Bad World Tour" (1987–1989) was the highest-grossing tour ever at the time, with over $125 million earned. This record was later broken by the "Dangerous World Tour" (1992-1993) and later broken again by the "HIStory World Tour" (1996-1997), which is still the biggest tour ever in terms of international attendance (4.4 million tickets outside of USA).

Jackson has more music awards than any other artist in the history of music.

And on a personal level (not that anything would make up for the allegations of molestation, were they true), Jackson has supported more charities than any other pop singer - 39 charitable organizations either with monetary donations through sponsorships of their projects or the participation in their activities. The charities involved include AIDS Project L.A., American Cancer Society, BMI Foundation, Inc., Childhelp USA, United Negro College Fund, YMCA - 28th Street/Crenshaw, The Sickle Cell Research Fund and Volunteers of America[7].

EZMONEY
07-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Impressive numbers there Amanda....but if his music is really "all that and a bag of chips"...why wasn't it selling like hot cakes before he died...why is his music not being played on mainstream radio? I haven't heard him mentioned much at all since the trials...not his music anyway. All money received for worthy charities is good news.

Pooh, I seriously don't feel his death was unexpected. It seems those close to him have seen it coming for quite some time. I feel his living this long was unexpected. I feel sorry for him too, have for years.

mandalinn82
07-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Well, he clearly had SOME draw.

From Wikipedia, regarding his "This is It" tour, the tour scheduled for 2009-2010 that was cancelled due to his death:

Jackson's official website allowed fans to register early for a "pre-sale" draw. The website could not deal with the large number of registrations—reportedly up to 16,000 applications a second—some fans had difficulty applying. A spokeswoman for the singer said that they were investigating the reported problems.[18] In the space of 24 hours, nearly a million people registered for pre-sale tickets, enough to fill the venue 50 times over.[19] Fans from over 200 countries registered for the pre-sale draw.[20] Tickets that had not even been printed were selling on eBay for 300.[13] Sales of Jackson's albums increased following the press conference. Overnight, sales of Off the Wall rose 200%, Bad rose 110%, Dangerous rose 165% and Thriller 25 rose 155%.[21]

The two day pre-sale began on March 11, and 40 extra dates were added to meet high demand—five of these dates were reserved in their entirety for the public sale.[22] More than 1.5  million fans caused two sites offering pre-sale tickets to crash within minutes of going online.[23] In the space of two hours, 190,000 tickets were sold.[24] Two million people tried to buy pre-sale tickets in the space of 18 hours.[25] Veronica Schmidt of The Times, stated of the reception, "Michael Jackson has floored his critics",[26] while organizers proclaimed it was a "cultural phenomenon".[27] Jackson broke the previous record, for the number of shows performed by an artist at a single venue, which was set by Prince, who hosted a 21-date residency at the same arena. According to Jackson's website, the following records were broken: "The biggest audience ever to see an artist in one city", "The most amount of people to attend a series of arena shows", "The fastest ticket sales in history".[22] Randy Phillips acknowledged that Jackson could have sold out even more dates, but this would have conflicted with other career plans the singer has.[28] On March 13, the other 50% of seats for dates 1-45 and all the seats for dates 46-50 went on sale to the general public. Within a few hours, all 50 dates had sold out.[29] At this stage, sales of King of Pop were up 400% and sales of Thriller were up 200%.[30] Tickets appeared on eBay for as much as 10,000.[31]

evilwomaniamshe
07-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm hear ya EZ! Farrah Fawcett's death got so little attention with all the MJ hoopla, she was deserve worthy of more than her 5 minutes of fame in death and she sure got the shaft dying in the same time frame as MJ.

EZMONEY
07-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Well, he clearly had SOME draw.

From Wikipedia, regarding his "This is It" tour, the tour scheduled for 2009-2010 that was cancelled due to his death:

Hey...have you ever tried to get a Neil Diamond ticket? ;)

I'm hear ya EZ! Farrah Fawcett's death got so little attention with all the MJ hoopla, she was deserve worthy of more than her 5 minutes of fame in death and she sure got the shaft dying in the same time frame as MJ.

I agree EVIL....and she wasn't even my favorite Angel!

Steelslady
07-07-2009, 12:34 AM
No offense, but Farrah was not the icon that Michael was. Farrah also lead a troubled life with Ryan O'Neal. Their son was nothing but trouble from his teen years and beyond that. She hasn't really done anything recently (before her illness, I'm talking about, not during obviously) herself that has stood out for her fans or others as worthy of discussion or media hype. Don't get me wrong, I like Farrah and her work on "The Burning Bed" was phenomenal, but her popularity was due to her looks mostly and who she was married to or had a child with.

Michael, since childhood, has entertained us. Brought fresh music to dance to, wowed us with dance moves not many could imitate, and could get a crowd to their feet by merely singing a song. Farrah is well known to the male population for her Sports Illustrated red bathing suit pin up, where as Michael was loved and adored by males and females alike. People could relate to his music. His music made you feel something when he sang- whether it was the fast paced lyric "beat it!" to which felt good when you sang it with him as you imagined telling someone to "beat it!" in anger, or the song "I'll be there" would remind you of someone special that was always there for you- maybe someone you miss that's no longer with you, or a special friend from the past to which you wonder how they're doing. See where I am going with this? No offense to Farrah, but she didn't have that impact on people like Michael did with his music.

As Amanda also listed above, he did a lot for charities, too. I'm sure Farrah did something in her lifetime, but I honestly can't not name one thing that I recall her doing. Not saying she wasn't a caring or compassionate person- she seems like she had a sweetness to her that was genuine, just looking at her in pictures makes me think she probably did something good for others that I'm not aware of, but as I said above, I just can't recall anything off the top of my head. He is well known for many of those charities, one most notable was co-writing and organinzing all the stars for the "We Are The World" song.

I'm not going to lie, as a fan of his, his death has devastated me. Much like Elvis' death did to my aunts and older cousins. Some people just really relate to him, for various reasons, and he left a trail of devastated fans behind who felt that he had much, much, much more music to make and more dance moves to choreograph before he died. The news of his death rocked me. Just rocked me. So, count me in as one of the fans who will be watching the memorial tomorrow, who will enjoy his music til the day I die, and will always wonder "what if......... had he lived, could he have done another album like Thriller again?"

Rest in Peace, Michael and Farrah. Both important to both of their fans, a huge part of my 70's and 80's past like many others in the world.

shrinkingleah
07-07-2009, 12:55 AM
You can't tell people to NOT be upset over MJ's death. I wouldn't tell you not to be upset to someone who was an important part of your past and possible present.

Seriously? Just announce that he is not someone you wish to rest in peace and let people grieve on their own. I wasn't his biggest fan, but his music MADE a genre. Have you had as many accomplishments?

I am always little saddened by your rather cynical posts. Please keep it friendly on the forums? I love 3FC and you kind of ruin it for me sometimes.

EZMONEY
07-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Again allow me to remind you ~

I have never said I didn't like MJ's music

Never said I didn't think he had talent

Never told anyone they should not be upset about his death

Never accused him of anything

I just find it ....I'll use the word odd....that we will be able to "twitter" where his body is all day today.

But hey, I see things different than others sometimes!

painted lady
07-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Have you SEEN the Thriller video?

it is amazing.

happy2bme
07-07-2009, 08:30 AM
IMHO - there is no explaining the public's fascination with celebrity. :dunno: Sometimes when I hear of famous people dying, there is a fleeting moment of sadness for the "nevermore / what might have been" factor. But one thing's for sure, I will never feel the same sort of deep grief that I would for the passing of a dear friend or relative.

The most ridiculous thing I see is all these people who are paying MJ "tribute" who 3 weeks ago, probably would not have been so quick to associate with him due to all the controversy surrounding him the last few years.

painted lady
07-07-2009, 08:54 AM
living people can still make mistakes and get in trouble with the law, while dead people are preserved in our memories. therefore, when people die (when ANYONE dies), people have the tendency to only remember the good bits, since it seems like a dick move to go, "oh hey, Michael Jackson died. remember when he touched those kids?"

mrsaugie
07-07-2009, 09:26 AM
IMHO - there is no explaining the public's fascination with celebrity. :dunno: Sometimes when I hear of famous people dying, there is a fleeting moment of sadness for the "nevermore / what might have been" factor. But one thing's for sure, I will never feel the same sort of deep grief that I would for the passing of a dear friend or relative.

The most ridiculous thing I see is all these people who are paying MJ "tribute" who 3 weeks ago, probably would not have been so quick to associate with him due to all the controversy surrounding him the last few years.

i feel the same way. there are more important things to cover in the news. yes announce it but do not spend weeks on it. i personally am getting tired of hearing it every time i turn the news on.

Onederchic
07-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I have to agree with mrsaugie and happy2bme.

bandit2
07-07-2009, 10:07 AM
He will be deeply missed & I think the world has truly lost someone special

Satine
07-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I too was very sad to hear him pass....like him or dont like him ( personally or professionally ) there is no denying that he had talent, alot of it ...so yeah you might think that this is all a little overboard for the "King of Pop" but to his true fans it is not. He was an icon and will go down in history as such.

RIP Michael.

kiramira
07-07-2009, 10:21 AM
My take on this, for what it is worth, is that there are a whole bunch of factors involved:

1. You can't deny the impact that MJ has had on the music industry and on popular culture. He IS one of the most important artists of our age. His passing DESERVES recognition, and his accomplishments DESERVE celebration.

2. He died before his time under suspicious circumstances. The news coverage is similar to that given to Anna Nicole Smith and Elvis -- both who died too young under suspicious circumstances. And we STILL talk about Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix to this day, and neither had the influence that MJ had. They just died under tragic circumstances far too young.

3. He was found NOT GUILTY of any crime, and to draw conclusions from the media reports about his guilt or innocence is IMHO just WRONG. We didn't sit for 3 weeks, every day, in the trial itself. We don't know the truth. We know the rumors and the accusations and the innuendos and the selected facts that the media has reported, and those are two very different things. And those who sat in the courtroom day after day CLEARLY said that there wasn't ANY credible evidence (See Eddie Greenspan, Globe and Mail July 3rd). The media will portray things the way they want to, and I personally won't draw any conclusions without knowing the facts. And let he without sin cast the first stone...

4. He WAS guilty of being "super weird", and that in itself makes for media fodder. And they look for ratings. You can't make a dead celebrity any deader, so to pump up the interest for their 24/7 coverage, they turn to speculation, conjecture, and non-news items. I think this is a function of ANY 24/7 news channel and you see it ALL the time. I choose not to watch because I think 90% of the "news" they broadcast is NOT news at all.

All I can say is that if you don't like the coverage, turn off the TV! I won't watch the memorial service because I think it is more about publicity for the family and for the stars set to perform than it is for the remembrance of MJ.

Kira

Satine
07-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Kira - Couldnt have said it better myself :D

Clydegirl
07-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I think it's all a bit too much.

Tracy
07-07-2009, 10:43 AM
I am sad to hearwhen anyone passes.But,why are some people so upset because people are mourning MJ. He was an amazing singer &dancer. And some people loved him.So,get over it. That's just how it is.Why do you care so much that this is being done for him?

bargoo
07-07-2009, 11:07 AM
There seems to be a morbid curiosity about the death of celebrities. This man was a talented entertainer but strange in his personal life. I say it is time to put him to rest and concentrate on more important matters.

Cebsme
07-07-2009, 11:39 AM
I am not watching the memorial today. Mostly because that's just not for me. However I will say that his music touched my life, like many others music. His music did guide me through some very difficult times. Music has been an important part of human life since it the first person created music. Different people where influenced by different music. I think every person has at least one song that was/is important to them and has helped them. I know I have several, and several were MJs.

Regardless of what anyone thought of him people are going to remember him and memorialize him how they see fit. Just like every other person who's died, famous or not. I memorialize and honor people in my life differently than most people. I refuse to go to funerals after the two I went to when I was a teenager, they just aren't for me and a lot of people judge that.

I guess what I am trying to say is people are going to do things their own way, when it comes to anybodies death.People are going to mourn and they should, mourning the death of anyone who has affected your life is important in the healing process. The simplest way to not watch all the coverage is to turn of the TV, or change the channel.

Annita
07-07-2009, 11:48 AM
kiramira , i couldn't have said it better. Thank you!

mrsaugie
07-07-2009, 12:54 PM
i am not saying that he did not have an effect on our culture here and else where and that he won't be missed. but i feel that there are other things in the world that needs the same amount of coverage. 2 weeks is over kill.

Cebsme
07-07-2009, 01:00 PM
I see plenty of other news stories being covered, and my news comes from L.A. There is overkill in a lot of news stories.

justacameragirl
07-07-2009, 01:04 PM
at the moment I am visiting family stateside... its LIVE on at least 15 channels

Cebsme
07-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Yes right now the memorial is on, almost every channel. Because honestly its popular and LOTS of people want to watch it.But as far as actual news coverage (during news casts), I am actually seeing equal coverage of other stories.

annie175
07-07-2009, 01:09 PM
It is ridiculous. Giving that much attention and idolism to any person other than GOD is just reiiculous. Would that many attend the funeral if it were Jesus? I am not a religious fanatic, but come on, let's get real.

Cebsme
07-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I take that a bit personal. An attack on my Christianity. I certainly don't Idolize MJ, I see him for what he was a great musisican who was influencial in his music an staple of my childhood and teen music choices. Someone who provided the world with dance and music that no one had ever seen before.

Its not idolatry its respect for a man who provided the world with much. Just like I respect men and women of the armed forces, and great literary minds.

Onederchic
07-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Where's all the publicity and coverage for Ed Mcmahon? A WWII veteran. Someone who served our country and made many other contributes. I don't see anyone going gaga over his death even though I was saddened by it.

Cebsme
07-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Actually we have had rather decent coverage over Mr. McMahon's passing, it maybe because I live in a military town, but yeah there was and still is quite a bit of local and regional coverage. Not as much as MJ, however, media outlets do a lot of research to find out what the majority of people want to hear about in current news, and honestly that would be MJ right now, who knows maybe tomorrow it won't be maybe it will be something else that happens.

MindiV
07-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Cebsme is right...media outlets cover what a majority of people want to see. Did some want to see the funeral for Farrah or Ed McMahon? Sure...but not as many as wanted to see MJ's funeral. I mean...millions around the WORLD registered for a lottery drawing to get a chance to be in the Staples Center right now. It's been made into a bigger event than a normal funeral (whether it should be or not).

His family's been criticized for making such a spectacle of it, but that's obviously the way he lived his life by his own choosing - as a spectacle. Why else would the man buy/live in Neverland and do all the wacky things he's done? I think his over-the-top funeral is a fitting send off for someone who was as over-the-top as he was...

ferretgirl
07-07-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't disagree with the way they are doing his memorial. Yes, stars are there and some are performing. But most of these celebrities were his friends and this is their way of saying goodbye. It's not unusual for someone to sing at a funeral.

I thought this performance was beautiful and touching (Mariah Carey singing "I'll Be There"):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWffI4UP0OA

AngelD
07-07-2009, 03:25 PM
It's just what happen with people who are that high profile these days. There are probably more countries in the world where he is known than than those where he isn't so it's going to be a big deal when someone like that dies especially if its unexpected. Just look at what happened over here when Princess Diana died. It was wall to wall Diana on TV for days and people lined the streets for miles on the day of her funeral.

Just because they get a lot more TV hours doesn't mean they are anymore special than anyone else who died that day, week, month whatever just more well known. It's just the way the world is these days.

Marathon Mom
07-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I completely understand that people feel a little confused about how to fee3l about MJ's life and his death. He's had some bad press, but what I think it all comes down to is how MJ made people feel . As an artist/singer/dancer he was truly amazing. Similar to Stevie Wonder, Frank Sinatra and many others. But he touched so many peoples lives.

Yes, MJ had a awkardness about him,and was accused of some upsetting things. But in the grand scheme of things - he made people sit up and take notice when he performed, and it made people feel good...

Just my $.02 :)

Mikayla
07-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I think people want to pay respects to people who have touched their lives. Music touches man many people. Music greatly impacts my experiences, I associate many vivid memories with different songs. I am also a live performance addict and in the case of MJ from what I hear seeing one of his shows was an experience like none other. I was very eager for his up coming tour to hit the U.S. so I would have a chance to have the experience it myself. I believe a lot of people felt this way and to them his death was shocking...I see nothing wrong with wanting to pay tribute to someone that has touched your life.

If Michael Jackson did not touch your life...no big deal, just turn off your TV.

painted lady
07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Cebsme, I don't think the poster meant to offend... if Jesus died tomorrow, it would be a huge media event that millions of people would care about, and no one would think it was "too much." Michael Jackson had a similar impact on people around the world (it's true, guys), so it's only natural that people want to say goodbye.

and as far as people only liking his music now that he's dead, that's crap. i bought the 25th anniversary edition of Thriller last year and listen to it all the time. in fact, i listened to Thriller and Beat It the day he died (which was my birthday, so for the rest of my life, i will always hear Michael Jackson on my birthday).

Sheridan
07-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Hi All,
First of all let me say that I do not think the accusations against MJ were true- if I did,I could have no interest in any thing about him. For me the evidence is not there and people are not always truthful.

One a personal level I am not a big fan and really liked ony a few songs. My favorite is "You are not alone"

However I do recognize his talent as a composer,singer and dancer. I especially admire his agility as I am on the clumsy side.

Why I am obsessed with the coverage is a big mystery to me. I think it has something to do with his being such a tragic life. Certainly the medical community failed him as did those who no claim they were such great family and friends. Why didn't anyone appeal to Katherine that her son was in serious trouble and intervene in some of his mutilating behavior ? I think he would have been receptive to her.

Anyway I hope he is at peace.

I agree that Farrah could have had a bit more coverage.

Sheridan

Sheridan
07-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi All,
First of all let me say that I do not think the accusations against MJ were true- if I did,I could have no interest in any thing about him. For me the evidence is not there and people are not always truthful.

One a personal level I am not a big fan and really liked ony a few songs. My favorite is "You are not alone"

However I do recognize his talent as a composer,singer and dancer. I especially admire his agility as I am on the clumsy side.

Why I am obsessed with the coverage is a big mystery to me. I think it has something to do with his being such a tragic life. Certainly the medical community failed him as did those who no claim they were such great family and friends. Why didn't anyone appeal to Katherine that her son was in serious trouble and intervene in some of his mutilating behavior ? I think he would have been receptive to her.

Anyway I hope he is at peace.

I agree that Farrah could have had a bit more coverage.

Sheridan

nelie
07-07-2009, 04:50 PM
I've heard little tidbits here and there about MJ death and what not from the radio. I haven't otherwise seen anything but then again, I don't have cable.

I know a question came up as to why wasn't his music being played on the radio before his death? Uhhh it was. I would hear an MJ song at least a couple times/week from just the 15 minute drive to/from work. Although it really depends what station I was listening to because some stations really only play 'current' songs but stations that play a mix have been playing him for years (like 20 years).

Also, I will listen to an 80s/90s internet radio station at home sometimes and he was on there quite a bit.

Youtube has a station dedicated to MJ which was put up way before his death. I would watch his videos on it sometimes.

With his recent tour stuff going on, his ticket sales were definitely strong.

Before his death, I was thinking of buying some of his music although I already listen to a fair amount on the radio and from my sporadic listening on the youtube station.

I do feel he is one of the greatest musicians of our time and like other great musicians, he had a troubled life that really made me sad for him.

And although he did act questionably in his various relations with children, I do believe that he didn't act illegally. I think he really should've known better and had better advisors with as much money as he had, he was definitely a target for those that would want to get a little piece of his fortune. I also think in general that the parents should've acted responsibly in regards to their children as well and they seemed to fail that.

harrismm
07-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey EZ.......If Prince dies, I am buying a tic and coming to your great state!!Oh and FYI, im staying at your place.LOL dude!!!

nelie
07-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Hey EZ.......If Prince dies, I am buying a tic and coming to your great state!!Oh and FYI, im staying at your place.LOL dude!!!

Oh don't even say such a thing :( I don't think I could take him dying anytime soon.

harrismm
07-07-2009, 05:19 PM
I NO!!!I heart Prince.Hear he needs a couple of new hip...Thats what happens when you have been doing the splits for 51 years!LOL!

kiramira
07-07-2009, 05:24 PM
While wearing kicky boots, too :lol:
Kira

harrismm
07-07-2009, 05:36 PM
ABSOLUTELY!!I love me a man in high healed boots doing the splits!

kiramira
07-07-2009, 05:44 PM
The sad thing is that even IN his kicky boots, I believe he would only come up to my chin :(
Kira

EZMONEY
07-07-2009, 07:40 PM

Angie and I have a guest room...no problem :)

Oh don't even say such a thing :( I don't think I could take him dying anytime soon.

Nelie knows where I live too!

EZMONEY
07-07-2009, 07:49 PM

2. He died before his time under suspicious circumstances. The news coverage is similar to that given to Anna Nicole Smith and Elvis -- both who died too young under suspicious circumstances. And we STILL talk about Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix to this day, and neither had the influence that MJ had. They just died under tragic circumstances far too young.

Tragic yes...but suspicious? Kira I think it is obvious they all had major drug issues.

All I can say is that if you don't like the coverage, turn off the TV! I won't watch the memorial service because I think it is more about publicity for the family and for the stars set to perform than it is for the remembrance of MJ.

Kira

I totally agree!

kiramira
07-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Nothing has come in for MJ yet, so this is why I phrased it the way I did. Also, the roles of the medical staff, drug administration, and what actually happened aren't known for all of the examples I gave: how did the meds get into Anna Nicole? Who prescribed them? How many medical persons were involved? Were drugs directly involved with Jim Morrison? Was there ever an intervention for Elvis? Did his paramour kinow what was going on that fatal evening? Where did Janis Joplin procure her drug of choice from her usual source or was it way, way stronger that her dealer said it was? What DID MJ die from? What meds were in MJs system? Who administered them? How many prescriptions did he have? We don't know yet...

Besides, I prefer to follow the Christian philosophy of "judge not, lest ye be judged", and to not throw stones, because there are many, many people who have family members who suffer from drug/substance abuse issues. Any death that involves drug/substance abuse is shattering for a family, and I feel for MJs kids because they haven't asked for ANY of the judgements and ridicule and that must have been a big burden for them to bear. So I phrased things to be respectful: drugs yes; definitive cause of death yes (except for MJ); what actually happened (who prescribed, administered, stood by and watched it happen, didn't call 911 fast enough)? Between God and those involved. Not for me to ridicule or judge...

Peace...

Kira

Lori259
07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
The comment about moonwalking so Made me mad to read

The moonwalk was the sh**back in my day! everyone that I knew when I was a kid Tried Micheal Jackson's Moonwalk ~Not Neil Armstrongs.

Getting on the moon Not many can relate to.Because we really in honestly could care less.

But A bad childhood as Micheal had Or Singing words That we hold dear to our hearts from his songs
I think we can all relate too In some way.

The day when They broke in on the news and said he had a heart attack I was in shock~Then when they announced he died~I admit I cried.

I am 33~I Wasn't his biggest fan~but I hold so many of his songs dear to my heart~The memories of everyone trying "HIS MOONWALK" And His cool DANCING TOTALLY WILL ALWAYS BE WITH ME.

"I'LL Be there" Is the cutest song I have ever in my life heard a child sing~from his days of the Jackson 5~And man in the mirror Was so powerful to me a song he sang after he was older.

I believe that the media is doing what the media does best ~Cover the "TOP" news. Which they repeat over & over & over.Aggravating or not MICHEAL WAS THE "KING OF POP" And Will be missed by many.

I will end this post with the words to Man in the Mirror:

"Man In The Mirror"

I'm Gonna Make A Change,
For Once In My Life
It's Gonna Feel Real Good,
Gonna Make A Difference
Gonna Make It Right . . .

As I, Turn Up The Collar On My
Favourite Winter Coat
This Wind Is Blowin' My Mind
I See The Kids In The Street,
With Not Enough To Eat
Who Am I, To Be Blind?
Pretending Not To See
Their Needs
A Summer's Disregard,
A Broken Bottle Top
And A One Man's Soul
They Follow Each Other On
The Wind Ya' Know
'Cause They Got Nowhere
To Go
That's Why I Want You To
Know

I'm Starting With The Man In
The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways
And No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World
A Better Place
(If You Wanna Make The
World A Better Place)
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change
(Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change)
(Na Na Na, Na Na Na, Na Na,
Na Nah)

I've Been A Victim Of A Selfish
Kind Of Love
It's Time That I Realize
That There Are Some With No
Home, Not A Nickel To Loan
Could It Be Really Me,
Pretending That They're Not
Alone?

A Willow Deeply Scarred,
Somebody's Broken Heart
And A Washed-Out Dream
(Washed-Out Dream)
They Follow The Pattern Of
The Wind, Ya' See
Cause They Got No Place
To Be
That's Why I'm Starting With
Me
(Starting With Me!)

The Mirror
(Ooh!)
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways
(Ooh!)
And No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
A Better Place
(If You Wanna Make The
World A Better Place)
Take A Look At Yourself And
Then Make A Change
(Take A Look At Yourself And
Then Make A Change)

The Mirror
(Ooh!)
I'm Asking Him To Change His
Ways
(Change His Ways-Ooh!)
And No Message Could've
Been Any Clearer
A Better Place
(If You Wanna Make The
World A Better Place)
Then Make That . . .
Then Make That . . .)
Change!

The Mirror,
(Man In The Mirror-Oh
Yeah!)
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways
(Better Change!)
No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
(If You Wanna Make The
World A Better Place)
Then Make The Change)
(You Gotta Get It Right, While
You Got The Time)
('Cause When You Close Your
Heart)
You Can't Close Your . . .Your
Mind!
(Then You Close Your . . .
Mind!)
That Man, That Man, That
Man, That Man
With That Man In The Mirror
(Man In The Mirror, Oh Yeah!)
That Man, That Man, That Man
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways
(Better Change!)
You Know . . .That Man
No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
A Better Place
(If You Wanna Make The
World A Better Place)
Then Make A Change
Then Make A Change)
Hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!
Na Na Na, Na Na Na, Na Na,
Na Nah
(Oh Yeah!)
Gonna Feel Real Good Now!
Yeah Yeah! Yeah Yeah!
Yeah Yeah!
Na Na Na, Na Na Na, Na Na,
Na Nah
(Ooooh . . .)
Oh No, No No . . .
I'm Gonna Make A Change
It's Gonna Feel Real Good!
Come On!
(Change . . .)
Just Lift Yourself
You Know
You've Got To Stop It.
Yourself!
(Yeah!-Make That Change!)
I've Got To Make That Change,
Today!
Hoo!
(Man In The Mirror)
You Got To
You Got To Not Let Yourself . . .
Brother . . .
Hoo!
(Yeah!-Make That Change!)
You Know-I've Got To Get
That Man, That Man . . .
(Man In The Mirror)
You've Got To
You've Got To Move! Come
On! Come On!
You Got To . . .
Stand Up! Stand Up!
Stand Up!
(Yeah-Make That Change)
Stand Up And Lift
Yourself, Now!
(Man In The Mirror)
Hoo! Hoo! Hoo!
Aaow!
(Yeah-Make That Change)
Gonna Make That Change . . .
Come On!
(Man In The Mirror)
You Know It!
You Know It!
You Know It!
You Know . . .
(Change . . .)
Make That Change.

R.I.P. MICHAEL

EZMONEY
07-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Speaking for myself here...I am sure the results will come out that MJ was loaded with "drugs"....

I am well aware of what drugs can do to a family....FYI :)

Why is it that all the "news stations and magazines" can say it...but I am accused of judging....because I say what I feel?

I have not once accused any one on here of judging another because they stated their opinion.

Why is it that if I disagree it is judging?

I believe they all had troubled lives and died of complications from drug abuse!

kiramira
07-07-2009, 08:55 PM

I don't think that it is the act of disagreeing, it is the manner in which you disagree. Honestly, comes off as sarcastic towards the poster and judgemental towards the topic...you asked...

JMHO

Peace

Kira

EZMONEY
07-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the Moon. July 1969 AD. We came in peace for all mankind.
Neil Armstrong

EZMONEY
07-07-2009, 08:59 PM

I don't think that it is the act of disagreeing, it is the manner in which you disagree. Honestly, comes off as sarcastic towards the poster and judgemental towards the topic...you asked...

JMHO

Peace

Kira

I can live with that :)

EZMONEY
07-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Coming home from work today I heard what I think sums it all up for me...read my lips...for me

One of my favorite basketball players of all time (on the court only!) and a player for my favorite basketball team...Los Angeles Lakers :carrot: was at the memorial today. I heard some of what he said on the radio which reinforces what I "feel"....

Magic Johnson said today that Michael Jackson made him a better basketball player....huh? :?: Was he ever a coach...obviously not....

Magic Johnson also said that the greatest day of his life was watching MJ eat KFC...huh? :?: Wouldn't you think it would be his children's birth or college or professional basketball championships?

Greatest day ever...watching MJ eat extra crispy....again I just shake my head and say...

I don't get it!

bargoo
07-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I did watch the memorial and thought it was well done, much more respectful than I expected. I was not a MJ fan except when he was a little kid with the Jackson Five. I enjoyed the music today especially Lionel Richie, why don't I have any of his CD's ? I also liked Smokey Robinson's comments. BUT we have had Michael Jackson 24/7 since the hour he died. Enough is enough. The man was not a saint. An outstanding entertainer but also a man with flaws, big time. It is time to bury him and get on with life.
I feel sorry for those three kids and hope they can survive , considering the weird upbringing they hve had and the media circus that surrounds them.

harrismm
07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Thats who my heart goes out to, those 3 precious kids.WOW.So sad to think that a woman who chose to not be involved in their life just might make a claim now.Money is the true root of all evil.Yikes!As far as MJ...Dude, asking for Propofol???Anyone in the medical profession understands how totally crazy this is!!

elle w 19
07-07-2009, 09:46 PM
I am always little saddened by your rather cynical posts. Please keep it friendly on the forums? I love 3FC and you kind of ruin it for me sometimes.

I totally agree.

kiramira
07-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Amen, sister chickies!!!

Kira

:)

painted lady
07-07-2009, 10:10 PM
i was at a wedding this weekend and the dj sort of sucked. people were dancing, but it was half-hearted. and then. oh, and then.

he played Thriller.

not even joking, everyone in the room went, "WOOOOOOO!" and jumped up. and then we all did the freaking dance from the video. it was awesome.

Michael Jackson revolutionized pop music. and it hasn't even been two weeks since he died, so "give it a rest already" isn't valid yet.

Cebsme
07-08-2009, 12:16 AM
At our prom we all danced to Thriller, one of my best memories from high school. I went to a big high school with lots of cliques, but at that one time we all kind of connected as one.

MJs life will be remembered and honored by friends, family, and fans long after all the cameras are gone and the media moves on to what happens next, but for now this what people want to see.

My father works for a news organization, the surveying that they do is very through, the know what the majority of people want to see, and how long they want to see it for.

As far as the comment Magic Johnson said about him making him a better basketball player, and Micheal wasn't a coach etc.. You don't have to be a coach to make some one better. Motivation to do better can come from all over. I played a lot of sports in high school, the reason I did better wasn't always my coaches, it was people who supported me, friends who pushed me, people I didn't even know telling me I was doing a good job. Rarely do I find the people that help me the most are actually involved with what I need help with, they are just great friends who provide motivation and support.

EZMONEY
07-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Very true...however MAGIC was a great basketball player before he ever met MJ!

But what do you think about MJ eating KFC as the greatest moment in Magic's life remark?

I think if we searched the 3FC archives we wouldn't find much here on MJ in the last 10 years...now it seems like everyone wants a piece of the MJ pie...

I just think if he really was that "and a bag of chips" his music would be being played...sold and people would be talking about him...

EZMONEY
07-08-2009, 12:42 AM
You can't tell people to NOT be upset over MJ's death. I wouldn't tell you not to be upset to someone who was an important part of your past and possible present.

I have never ever said anyone should not be upset over MJ's death...not once!

Seriously? Just announce that he is not someone you wish to rest in peace and let people grieve on their own. I wasn't his biggest fan, but his music MADE a genre. Have you had as many accomplishments?

Why do you think I don't want him to rest in peace? If he is one with Christ he will...if not he won't...not my call to make. Have I had as many accomplishments? ...Not as many but better ones I feel...I am a great husband and father.

I think you should do what I do when you see someone you don't "like" here...go right on past their posting. The world is filled with all kinds of choices from eating to exercise to posting...we all need to make better choices for ourselves.

Cebsme
07-08-2009, 12:43 AM
His music is still played frequently. I hear it on the radio all the time, prior to his death I mean. I guess it depends what you listen to on a daily basis. Its still sold all over the world in huge numbers, and has been before his death.

I don't think on 3FC there are a lot of threads dedicated to celebrities, at least not those that arent associated in some way with weight loss.

I honestly didn't hear the KFC comment, but honestly I can tell you that the most memorable day of my life, was not the day I got married, not the day I lost my best friend, not the day my mom left, but just a day, when everything seemed normal, but not normal in some way. Little things can be the greatest moments, the most memorable.

I was a great basketball player before I got support from friends and others, greatness can be approved upon.

EZMONEY
07-08-2009, 12:50 AM
The greatest day in my life was the day my daughter was born...up to that time the greatest day was the day my son was born....I have no idea what I ate that day!

SunshineCA
07-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Enough already! RIP Michael!!!http://www.mjtshirts.co.uk/images/michael-jackson-rip.jpg

lizziep
07-08-2009, 02:10 AM
i kinda feel like EZ here on this one. First off I think the media coverage is ridiculous. It seems insensitive and disrespectful to his family, especially his kids, to have such a hullabaloo over his funeral. I for one think that the family should be allowed to mourn in peace. Certain things don't need to be televised and publicized.

Is it sad that he died? Sure, I guess. I was never a big fan really so it doesn't have any impact on me. It's not as sad as if he were in the height of his career. I don't find it shocking that he died either, rather I'm surprised it didn't come sooner. He had a tragic hard life. But lots of people do.

I find it completely morbid and unethical for the media to show pictures of his dead body being taken away. And I am not entirely sure how I feel about a televised funeral.

While I'm at it- I'm not sure how this turned from a "what's the deal with the outrageous coverage" to "EZ's a jerk" thread. If you don't like what someone else has to say- you don't have to post on a thread. If you can't stand someone on here, avoid them. it's easy enough. I still <3 you, EZ! :)

Rosinante
07-08-2009, 03:27 AM
No strong views on Michael Jackson's music, except that I Would recognize (some of) it if I heard it unexpectedly. As my music of choice is the darker elements of Wagner, that definitely says something about his musical impact lol!

As already mentioned above, the media hysteria is very reminiscent of what we got here when Diana, Princess of Wales died. People were pilloried in the press if they didn't sound sad enough. The day of the funeral, businesses were closed up and down the land - or The Mob wanted to know why. What really angered me was our local pharmacy felt compelled to put a poster in the window explaining that they had to stay open, because they provided 24/7 dispensing of medications. A pharmacy! or anyone! having to explain why the weren't closing in memory of someone they didn't know. Sad.

The other similarity, for me, is that both people were in the public gaze, both people had tragic elements in affluent lives, both people polarized public opinion, both people meant absolutely nothing to me, except that I am sad whenever I hear of someone dying young, especially when their lives have not been happy.

I suppose media-driven news is inevitable but media-enflamed emotion always worries me. I find it alarming - encouragement to huge grief is one thing but we also get media-mob 'justice' so often, and that gets really scary.

Platinum
07-08-2009, 04:11 AM
I don't get what's NOT TO GET concerning the amount of attention he is getting post-mortem. Unless you live a sheltered life you would know that he is one of the most famous people in the world. People grow to love and cherish their celebrities and it doesn't take much brain power to put two and two together to figure out... HUGE CELEBRITY + HUGE CONTROVERSIES + HUGE AMOUNT of FANS = HUGE RESPONSE TO DEATH....

I don't personally feel sad about his death, it's just another celebrity dying too young for stupid reasons. When are people going to learn DON'T ABUSE PRESCRIPTION PILLS OR YOU WILL DIE!!!!!!!! Duh!

But I also am annoyed by the amount of negative response by people who obviously don't care about him or ever had a LOVE for his music that are constantly going off on the people who are mourning his loss. Get over it, if you look at his sales, his records, his legacy and the amount of fans he has still it's inevitable you are going to get people that are flipping out about it. And the media only reports on what's "Hot" at the moment.

The type of celebrity he was/is not only attracts normal adoring fans, but fanatics and zealots. Let them mourn, it will pass, just like everyone finally stopped talking about Princess Di and now we remember her for her good works. People will move along and remember him for his music. Well, and the scandals all make for good conversations...books...death anniversary tv specials... etc...etc...

Just turn your TV to something else or click on different news links. Like I do. Think about your most beloved star and think of how you might feel for their passing. Then magnify that by 1000 and you will have a sense of what a true Michael Jackson fan might feel...

Platinum
07-08-2009, 04:59 AM
more of my thoughts on this subject...

I just think if he really was that "and a bag of chips" his music would be being played...sold and people would be talking about him...

Ignorance comes in all forms... the disdain is seething...

His music is played, people have bought his albums, he sold millions of records... But yes he wasn't a 'current' top new celebrity just before his death... HE WAS 50!.... your argument would also include old-fogey's like the Beatles & rolling stones... and no one would knock them as being irrelevant in death!! :?:

I just don't see how a person could live in America outside a cult commune and not know how BIG of a celebrity he was. Just because some people aren't his fans doesn't mean his fans don't have the right to show an outpouring of love and support at his death. Plus unless a person is stuck in the 90's and forgot to come over to this century... they would know just because old music isn't selling- doesn't mean his millions of fans are no longer existent. There is free music everywhere on the internet. Most people who were is fans already own his music or have dubbed it from friends albums. Now that he has died, old and new fans alike will no doubt go out and by new albums just to have a real one to hold and cherish. Just like people still do with Elvis Presley albums.

I just think the haters are bitter in their own lives and have to lash out about this. Believe me I've been hearing it from people all week. I don't understand the negativity about it. I wasn't even a huge fan. I just remember listening to his music at the roller rink when I was little, I doubt I even ever owned an album.

When things like this happen, a huge celebrity dying, it makes people go retrospective and all this brings people to reflect on their own mortality. All these people are trying to be are human beings coming to terms with the death of an idol.

I just read a great story about it the other day... check it out (http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/07/06/1988001.aspx) it's got a great psychological perspective!

Samantha100
07-08-2009, 05:40 AM
I am sorry to say that we live in a world that celebrates, pays and values celebrities and sports figures as if they were gods. The people who should be getting our attention and respect are the people who truly make a difference like teachers, nurses, policemen, and our military. MJ was an important entertainer, but that's it, nothing more. What you saw yesterday was nothing by hype and entertainment to make money one more time on MJ. Our new media today doesn't understand the difference between news and entertainment. They are like everyone else, they want to make money. Everything you saw yesterday was not paid for my the Jackson family, but by the same investment group who was putting together the new tour. They were the ones who have been picking up the bill for MJ's house and expenses. MJ was broke at his death. Why do you think he was planning a come back tour? Because he was 500 million dollars in debt. And for goodness sake, what in the world was Congresswoman Jackson Lee doing there? With all the problems we have in Washington, this is how she spends her time?

EZMONEY
07-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Time to move on....

Peace