Weight Loss Support - What do you do with your clothes that are too big?

dancerindenver
07-06-2009, 11:48 AM
(Note: Log this one under really nice problems to have)
What do you guys do with the clothes that are no longer the right size as you're losing? I have no plans to ever go up again but I certainly have in the past. Normally I donate everything I no longer need to Goodwill and that would be my plan for the too-loose clothes but would anyone recommend keeping anything from the larger size pile? Maybe a pair of jeans for comparison's sake? Obviously not a huge issue or anything - just curious what others have done or recommend...

TJFitnessDiva
07-06-2009, 11:52 AM
I kept one pair of jeans from my starting weight but everything else I have either given away or sold on ebay :)

kiramira
07-06-2009, 11:52 AM
I have one pair of "remember WHEN" pants and a top, too. For the "OMG" reminder factor. The rest of the stuff gets purged immediately when it is too big.
And you are RIGHT! What a great problem to have!!!
:D
Kira

Shannon in ATL
07-06-2009, 11:54 AM
I let go to Goodwill in phases... I got rid of the size 12 and up and XL sizes back in November, I just two weeks ago got rid of my large comfort shirts and my size ten pants. I'm currently wearing 4, 2 in some things, have been since October so I don't know why I saved them... Next I'm thinking about letting go of the medium tops & six 6 pants that don't fit, but I have to buy more things that do fit first! I was afraid to let go of the larger sizes for some reason, but when my closet shelf fell off the wall it prompted a major clean out of things I hadn't worn in forever. :)

I did save one pair of large pants just for reference - I have used it a couple of times when I wanted to eat cake. :)

Onederchic
07-06-2009, 12:01 PM
I have one pair of pants too from when I was 330 pounds. The rest are used for car covers, lol :D (Just kidding, I normally toss em out :|).

Thinfor5Minutes
07-06-2009, 12:08 PM
I've only gone down one size, so I stashed them in the attic "just in case." I started out this go-round as a size ten and am hoping to end up a six.

beerab
07-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Stuff that is good I give away to salvation army, stuff that is old and tattered I toss.

I have one pair of size 18s that I have kept, they are so big now, I'm a small 16 right now- hoping to get to a 14 soon!

Moralia
07-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I give my stuff away... My sis can wear 9/11's so I'll give her dibs then donate the rest...

rockinrobin
07-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm never, ever going back. NEVER. Therefore they are not needed and I gave them to charity. With the exception of 2 skirts and a jacket. I need to keep that visual reminder around of WHY I don't ever want to go back.

Tomato
07-06-2009, 12:45 PM
I took several huges boxes packed with clothing to Value Village (a version of Goodwill) and I donated a few nice pieces to a coworker who is doing Weight Watchers.

IrishRose25
07-06-2009, 12:46 PM
I take nicer things (bigger name brands) to Plato's Closet, where they buy your used clothes, and everything they don't take goes to Goodwill. It's great to get something money-wise for the clothes I don't need (even though it's nowhere NEAR what I spent on them), but I am with Robin 100%-- everything GOES!!

dancerindenver
07-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks, ladies, for your input! I'll pick a pair of fat pants for motivational purposes and donate the rest! No going back, ever!

kiramira
07-06-2009, 12:57 PM
THAT's the spirit!

I found that hanging on to the bigger sizes gives me "permission" to regain -- if my pants are tight, well, there's always another size up in my closet! I broke that habit THIS time around :lol: by ditching the big sizes straight up.

Kira

Cali Doll
07-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I am getting rid of them as they become too big. I found out by accident that I am a size 14. I thought I was still a 16 so I was trying on 14s to see how far I have to go and to buy a pair of inspiration pants... the 14s just slid up onto my hips and I had to do a double-take at the tag. LOL!

Anyway, I am not planning on buying any 14 pants...instead I purchased size 12 pants. I will wear my 16s until I can't anymore...or until I fit into the 12s. :cool: (ETA: interesting enough, the 12s DO fit, sort of....I just can't button them...yet)

All 20s and 18s have been removed from my home. I don't need them and I never will again!

Moonlight Mistress
07-06-2009, 02:09 PM
I just cleaned out my closet this weekend!

I plan to give most of it to Goodwill. But I will keep one pair of pants that I thought looked awesome on me at my higest weight for comparison (they literaly fall off my hips now...yay!).

I will also keep some shirts for a planned pregnancy in about (hopefully) 3 years. They were maternity shirts (ones that are baggy around the belly) that I thought were cute. And yes, they fit me 43.5 lbs ago *blushes*.

paradoxx
07-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm glad that I read this today as I was about to box up all of my too-big clothes to give to charity. Now, I'm going to pull out one pair of start-weight jeans to keep as inspiration.

MotoMichelle
07-06-2009, 02:26 PM
I donate mine that are still in good condition. I didn't keep a "remember when" pair of pants.

wfonseca3017
07-06-2009, 02:31 PM
well i went to size 14 to 10 some 8 , then i found thst i was preg , so i keep then to see how long i will be able to used it . now i am 6 month preg and my old size still fit my on my waist, but hips are and but are big .... i can even used now , matermy cloths fits me nicer. I use xl whit my boy , now i use M and some s.

I will donate then afeter the baby born.

HungryHungryHippo
07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Usually I don't buy good clothes when I'm at my heaviest, so I'm happy to get rid of the ugly few pieces I've added. I keep pants for layering in winter, though.

I do have good clothes at a couple different smaller sizes, and I keep wearing the larger ones even after I've shrunk past that size--they just fit differently.

Moralia
07-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Oopsie!! Double post... This morning I got a message that my post didn't work... Now I see it did! Sorry ladies!

Civakas
07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I found out by accident that I am a size 14. I thought I was still a 16 so I was trying on 14s to see how far I have to go and to buy a pair of inspiration pants... the 14s just slid up onto my hips and I had to do a double-take at the tag. LOL!

The same thing happened to me w/ a size 12. Doesn't it feel WONDERFUL?

I'm keeping a size 16 pair of pants. I keep other too-big clothes as long as I possibly can, since it gets too expensive to buy clothes that will only fit for a few weeks. Once they fall off, I bag them up. I now have 1 1/2 bags of clothes to take to Goodwill. =)

amynbebes
07-06-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm not keeping a darned thing. I have pajama pants that I can use for reference if I need a boost. They were tight before but now they're loosey goosey. All clothes go to my niece.

Cali Doll
07-06-2009, 08:32 PM
The same thing happened to me w/ a size 12. Doesn't it feel WONDERFUL?

I'm keeping a size 16 pair of pants. I keep other too-big clothes as long as I possibly can, since it gets too expensive to buy clothes that will only fit for a few weeks. Once they fall off, I bag them up. I now have 1 1/2 bags of clothes to take to Goodwill. =)

YES!!!!! It does feel great! That was most definitely a highlight of this entire weight loss journey. LOL! What a pleasant surprise!

And congrats to you for doing so well! :carrot::carrot:

Yeah, it's getting way too pricey. Though, I did buy four pairs of size 12 pants because it felt so good to buy size 12. I am such a dork...I kept looking at the cashier thinking "Do you see? These are SIZE 12 I am buying!". LOL! I don't think she could read my mind, though. :o:o

dancerindenver
07-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Cali doll - I loved hearing about your cashier thoughts - too funny!

Lori Bell
07-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Mine are all neatly packed in totes by size, and stored in the attic...Just in case. I have been down this road WAY to many times, and I know my past history. I have NEVER maintained a weight loss...EVER. You don't know how many times I've had to re-buy fat clothes because I gotten rid of everything. Trust me, there is NOTHING more depressing than having to shop for fat clothes after you have given away 15 pair of perfectly good jeans. Nope, I'm hanging on to mine...My kids can donate them at my estate sale many years (hopefully) down the road if they are never worn again. Anything that was stained or patched got cut up into grease rags for the shop, the rest is laying in wait....Hopefully to never be used by me again.

Jinksie
07-07-2009, 10:15 AM
i've only lost 25lbs but but my tops are loose... but i just keep wearing my bigger clothes - what else can i do, when there isnt much money? =p

(however, i did buy some new workout shorts yesterday and some shorts, cos its Florida and its hot)

CakeBatter
07-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I sure wish I'd kept a pair of my old pants.....

mom4life
07-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I toss them when they no longer fit. 2 pairs of pants we damaged from a detergant I used while on vacation, so I had no other choice. When I got back home I started tossing out XL shirts and pants.
I'm down to 2 elastic waist pants and a pair of size 12 shorts that I've kept till I shrink out of. So far they're already starting to get loose so they will be out the door soon. :)
I have a few size 10 pants collecting dust that I can't wait to get back into. Plus some medium sized shirts that I'm very slowly fitting into comfortably.

bargoo
07-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I've only gone down one size, so I stashed them in the attic "just in case." I started out this go-round as a size ten and am hoping to end up a six.

"Just in case" is the exact reason I do not keep clothes that are now too big. I plan to never have a need for larger clothes.

ACivE
07-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Am I the only one that gets things tailored?

I give away meaningless items but I can't just toss some $400 dress or custom made pants. I've gottem most of my professional wear tailored down. Now obviously some things are just too far gone but things like skirts are easy to cut down. I have some skirts that still have the size 24 label on them and they're now effectively like size 10's. My BF was folding my laundry one day and was like, "WTF is this?!?" and I explained my whole tailoring thing. I have quite a few dresses/skirts like that actually.

ninepaw
07-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I can't WAIT until I have to deal with this issue! :D
I plan on keeping one pair of my much hated size 18's, once I'm actually down to a point where they don't fit anymore. Everything else can suck it, as far as I'm concerned. I'm feeling a whole new level of empowerment this time around that I've NEVER felt in my life, so I should never, EVER need those size 18's AGAIN!

Fat Pants
07-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I keep them, but then again I figure they can double as maternity clothes when we eventually have kids and I won't have to drop a load of money on new clothes I'll only wear for 9 months. Hey, might as well get another use out of them, right? ;)

Robbynmarie k
07-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Well..... I am fixing to go in craigslist to see if anyone is willing to do a swap for clothes.......... I am keeping one pair of pants for a "remember when".:dizzy:

Arctic Mama
07-08-2009, 01:07 AM
I kept one pair of jeans from my starting weight but everything else I have either given away or sold on ebay :)

Yeah, I don't save any clothes, really, because it gives me a safety net of sorts if I gain weight again. I am saving my biggest jeans, and the rest goes to the church youth group garage sale and the Goodwill.

time2lose
07-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Lori Bell originally posted Mine are all neatly packed in totes by size, and stored in the attic...Just in case. I have been down this road WAY to many times, and I know my past history. I have NEVER maintained a weight loss...EVER. You don't know how many times I've had to re-buy fat clothes because I gotten rid of everything.

Lori, I am glad to know that I am not the only one thinking this way. I could not bear having to buy those huge sizes again. However, I have not lost and regained several times. I have only had one significant weight loss and am on the cusp of that previous weight. The only times that I have maintained in my life were times that I was trying to lose weight. I have had a few experiences of losing a few pounds but most of my life my weight was going up, up,.......

But this time is different. I lost weight before because I was on diet pills, not because I formed new eating and exercising habits. This time my weight loss is slower but I am making permanent changes. It can take time to change the habits of 50+ years. I am starting to believe that I can lose this excess weight and keep it off. But I still have had a hard time letting go of those clothes.

I posted about this on the 100 pound club once and someone suggested that I still save any of the clothes that I liked but get rid of the clothes that I had to just cover my body. That really made sense to me. I need room for my new clothes so I started sorting. I have not finished so I am storing the clothes that I am taking to GoodWill in my car trunk. I find that I am saving only a few jackets, other than those biggest pants to keep as a reminder!

I hope the day comes when I am confident enough to get rid of all those huge size clothes. That would be a good way to celebrate an anniversary of maintaining.

Lori, I hope to read someday that you feel confident enough to get rid of your big clothes too. You have been an inspiration to me!