100 lb. Club - weight loss and workout pet peves

View Full Version : weight loss and workout pet peves

TraceyElaine
07-06-2009, 11:43 AM
There are some things that I have noticed the last little while that particularly big me. Now I know,"to each their own" and everyone is different and all that. I am not meaning to put anyone down or be mean I just thought I'd share and perhaps you all had stories of your own as well.

So first there is the "friend" that always says "we should totaly walk/work out together". But they never do. Or they do but can't stop chatting long enough to break a sweat and then want to go for ice cream after. I know they mean well but it almost makes me feel like they don't take what i do seriously. I workout pretty seriously and when I do I like to just listen to my iPod and kind of go to that (not fat anymore) place in my mind. I can't chat while working out. But that's just me.

Then there is the lady that passes me about once a week. She is about my size (or i should say the size i was) ans she is always in the cutest capris and tops and sweaters, and FULL make up and a different hair do each time. She has the headphones on and is marching along. And I think to myself (is she just doing this for show?) I cant imagine breaking a sweat with a face full of make up. and I couldn't walk in denim...itchy! I always saw exercise as hard work and you didn't dress up for hard work. But that's just me.:D

And then there is my neighbor who always wants to come for my walk with me and I avoid it like the plegue. She starts off ok for like 3 min then complains i walk too fast and so i slow down. She always has to pick the rout because she "doesn't do hills" and then after 20 min she begs to be taken home. She is 100lbs lighter than me. I try to tell her if she just trys she will increas her abiliy but she wont budge from her comfort zone and is sooooo whiney about it. Like, I'm trying to loose weight here, i can't hold her hand while she stroles along for 20 min then tells me it's too hard. I need to do my 90 min. But that's just me...:p

What's you pet peve. I've got more but I wanna hear yours first LOL.

Thighs Be Gone
07-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I guess it's dog walkers that either:

1. Wear IPODS and take up the entire walk--as you go around them their (usually big dog) begins acting protective and the walker acts frightened as you run past them--sorry the path is just 6 feet wide and you don't get the whole thing!

2. Dog walkers that don't clean up after their dogs. Please. ICK.

I am also irritated by those that don't know you should veer to the right (at least in the U.S.) when you are on a trail.

I have others but I will wait for someone else to chime in so I can agree. LOL.

stargzr
07-06-2009, 11:52 AM
This should be a fun thread!

There's a girl I work with and she says to me that she wants to lose weight and so she joins a gym, goes for two weeks, then stops. She says it's hard to breathe. So I offer up ideas on lower impact activities that are offered at her gym at the times she went. She says, good ideas!... then doesn't do them. I offered healthy eating options... at our recent potluck I opted for the healthy right in front of her... I guess you can lead a horse to the trough, but can't force it to eat. :P

TraceyElaine
07-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Dog walkers who do not let you pass on their side and make it so you have to go into the street or pass their dog. This is a no no. This is how dog bites happen. Doesn't anyone watch the dog whisperer. lol.

foxxy511
07-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Ooh...one of my biggest is the person who talks on their cell phone all during their workout. Please. Maybe it's just me, but I think they can't possibly be working all that hard if they're able to hold a phone conversation the entire time. Plus it's annoying since they have to talk loudly to be heard over their machine!

And there is this one guy in my gym who I call the "Grunter" He makes loud grunting noises the entire time he's on the elliptical. Is it necessary? I don't know, but it's so loud!

Tracey, I love the ladies that come to the gym in full hair and make-up. I think it's looks so uncomfortable to work out like that!

Shannon in ATL
07-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Large groups of women who walk at the park where I run - they spread out all the way across the 6 foot track and won't move to let me pass by, even when I follow the rules and audible when I'm trying to pass. Then, when I run around on the ground to get past them they make rude comments. I've turned three different groups in to the park police...

TJFitnessDiva
07-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a friend that will beg me to remind her when I'm going to run on the treadmill (I do it every morning) and then when I do she asks me why am I telling her this early? It's a PIA cycle because she will text me to remind me to let her know when I'm going to workout so she can come over to do it too *sigh* I will be going off on her soon ;)

This is the same one that declares she is going on a diet and can't make it through the day....then have the nerve to ask me how does she gain weight when she doesn't eat that much. Riiiight. No breakfast, eat a whole bag of chips/candy during the day, eat your lunch plus your two kids' leftovers, and eat three helpings at dinner.....then when I recite what she has eaten denies it all. *eye roll* Did I mention she is my best friend and neighbor so this is all of the time? Blah.

Other than that it's the stroller brigade on the paths when I run outside. They will line up the strollers across the whole path and then give you a dirty look when you step off the path to run around them while they are yakking away.

Thighs Be Gone
07-06-2009, 12:35 PM
OMG SHANNON!

YES, YES, YES!

I hate and detest BLAH, BLAH, BLAH when I am trying to work out!!!! I have already noticed though these groups are short lived mostly. I will see them popup from time to time--they last a few weeks and then I don't see them anymore.

Thighs Be Gone
07-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Romance Diva!!! YES! YES! YES! The stroller brigade. They absolutely have the right to take up the entire walk or so it seems to them. After all, they are in the small, tiny minority that have chosen to breed. (Eyeroll)

TJFitnessDiva
07-06-2009, 12:40 PM
lmao!!! :lol:

nooch
07-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Unprofessional gym employees who ignore people with questions because they are too busy flirting with the girls in the full faces of makeup!

Slashnl
07-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I go along with the ones chatting away at the gym. Gets on my nerves.

The other thing is when you are trying to make healthy choices at lunch or whatever... and the coworker says, "I should do that too" or "I'm going to try to be better too." But it never happens. I feel like saying, "Just do what you want to do. I am doing my own thing, it doesn't mean that I am forcing you to do it too."

GirlyGirlSebas
07-06-2009, 02:06 PM
I get extremely aggravated with people who tell me "It's so difficult for us to lose weight because we are so very busy and we don't have "diet" food readily available where we live. Well....aren't we all busy?! And, you have plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables available to you. This is difficult for everyone. Don't be such a martyr. You're only hurting yourself!

cfmama
07-06-2009, 02:35 PM
My pet peeve is a little different. I walk with Bella for 1.5 hours three times a week so I HATE it when we are walking through residential area's and OTHER peoples dogs run out at MY dog. It is so freaking hard to keep your dog contained? really?

And... others that don't clean up after their pets. I carry poop bags with me and I HATE stepping in other dogs poop. Ruins my groove.

JulieJ08
07-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Yes, the other day I had to step around big, huge, hot steaming fresh horse crap on the sidewalk. On a main street in a suburb of Los Angeles. I caught up to the two girls at a stoplight. I asked (nicely) if the pooper scooper law applied to them too. They just laughed nervously and pretended I wasn't there.

Thighs Be Gone
07-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Were the girls walking a dog? LOL

Lifeguard
07-06-2009, 03:47 PM
The women in the gym with their hair done, make-up on & fancy lycra outfits going SO slow there's no chance they'll ever break a sweat - what's the point (& how the **** do they stay so slim when they obviously aren't working out - sigh).

I don't know if this is the right thread but I also cannot stand when my slim friends complain to me about their weight. Honestly - shut up about the 10lbs you want to lose that no one can see - I have bigger problems.

Pita09
07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Being leched on!! For weeks now, this man will get on the eliptical machine next to mine and proceeds to constantly turn his head and check me out. I get to the gym, no make-up, hair tied back, wearing black Capri workout pants and a huge, light-weight T-shirt. I'm in no way looking my best, so I see no reason for this dude to be looking me up and down every freaking morning!

I like to workout on this one particular eliptical that is in the corner so that I'm not distracted and can get in my groove. Now this dude is walking past all the other machines to get on the one right next to me! :rolleyes:

Well, I have outsmarted this guy, because I've been going to the gym 30 minutes earlier to do my eliptical workout before getting on the treadmill. I'm now working out for 90 minutes instead of 60 and I have this guy to thank for it. :D

TraceyElaine
07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Skinny girls who are grosed out by any physical activity. LOL. I don't even think they eat lol.

TaraLee
07-06-2009, 07:27 PM
My biggest pet peeves:

My friend, whom I do dearly love is the TOTAL-NESS of my pet peeves! And I'm soooo glad I can vent here instead of to her.

NO ACCOUNTABILITY FOR HER CONDITION:
1- People who's weight have led them to new heights of laziness: I have this friend who's life is filled with drama. She's had addiction problems and now she's trying to get on disability because of a "back" problem. This is after her husband spent last year making over 100k. Well, now he hurt his "knee" and can't work. I should let you know that EVERYTIME this guy quit a job they ran down to get food stamps and medicare... and GOT it. She's even admitted to lying to the government to get assistance... why? Because she's too out of shape to go to work... PUH-LEEEEZE.

GIVING HER KIDS WEIGHT ISSUES!
2- Same friend is making her kids beyond obese! Example: We went to McD's, long while back, (she's buying) and she orders a 20 piece McNugget and a Super Size Fry for "the kids." When shes done ordering she asks what I want, so I tell her... than she asks what my son wants. "I thought you ordered for the kids," "Oh, no, that's just for my kids!" She has 3. One was 4, 2 and 1 and the 1 year old is on gerber baby finger foods (but still got some fries too). HOLY CRAP. I ordered my son the little kids Chicken Nugget Happy Meal. He ate 2 of the nuggets and 1/3 of the fries and was done. Which was and is fine by me. I never force my kids to eat. At meal time I like the 4 year old to try everything once and he's free to go. She won't let them leave the table till it was all gone!

This friend later complained to me that the hormones in milk were making her daughter get "chee'chee's." This is after she informed me that EVERY member of her family had been denied insurance because they were WAY TOO OVERWEIGHT, except the 1 year old, who was on the border. All in the same phone call I get this! Um... girlie... your little girl has chee chee cause she's 5 and like 80 pounds! I live in terror of creating weight problems in my children!

ONE WAY SUPPORT SYSTEM:
3- This friend gets irratated when I don't answer her calls (which is generally cause I'm not able to take the call at the time) and give her whatever kind of support she's needing at the moment. But if I try to call her for support, or even just to chat, I can't get her to answer for weeks on end! She's admitted she screens her calls and tells her DH not to answer.

nooch
07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
TaraLee, I admire you for not blowing your top at this woman! I'd flip!

dragonwoman64
07-06-2009, 08:50 PM
people who camp out on the resistance machines, and at the risk of sounding sexist, this is usually guys(!)

nooch
07-06-2009, 09:14 PM
You mean the ones who sit there preening in the mirror? Grrrr.

(OT edit - Dragonwoman, I lived in Brooklyn til I was 21 - always love to see other Brooklynites on the internets!)

Windchime
07-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Romance Diva!!! YES! YES! YES! The stroller brigade. They absolutely have the right to take up the entire walk or so it seems to them. After all, they are in the small, tiny minority that have chosen to breed. (Eyeroll)

The Stroller Brigade bugs me, too. I finally had to give up biking on the river trail near my house because it's always clogged up with groups of people who walk 4 abreast ,strolling casually along and refuse to budge so I have to ride off into the grass to pass them. Very annoying. There are signs all along the path instructing people to stay right but those are cheerfully ignored.

I was doing C25K up until a few weeks ago (stupid asthma), and I was using the high school track. Most people have good track etiquette and we were all getting along fine, until a big family decided that their evening stroll would be on the track. So they brought baby buggies, bicycles (I am not kidding) and dogs. The whole family and all their equipment now takes up the entire high school track. The kids insist on walking in front of me, no matter which lane I choose. And again, there are prominent signs posted that prohibit bikes and dogs on the track, but those are also cheerfully ignored. Since school is out and it's a school track, there is nobody to report this to.

Idealmuse
07-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Mine is more of an online thing but the use of words "onederland" "twoterville" etc drive me up a wall. :(

vealcalf2000
07-06-2009, 09:42 PM
My pet peeve is when I'm walking and people say to me "Oh are you walking? exercising? etc" Well duh, I have my walking shoes on, my MP3 Player, and am walking at a rapid pace with sweat dripping down my brow! I also can't stand the fact that they must stop me all the time to ask me this. It totally breaks my stride and I like to keep track of how many minutes I walk each day since I have to break it up between my lunch and breaks and I also like to see if I'm improving.

I also can't stand when people are always asking to walk with me and #1 they are not walking at the same pace as me so this helps neither of us because I either have to walk slower or they have to walk faster (which they probably won't keep up with it) #2 I prefer to walk alone and hate always having to make excuses. I too like to listen to music and get lost in my own world.

GirlyGirlSebas
07-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Mine is more of an online thing but the use of words "onederland" "twoterville" etc drive me up a wall. :(
Seriously?! Wow.

TaraLee
07-06-2009, 10:36 PM
To all those with the buggy brigade complaint, I would like to think I'm pretty considerate of others (I walk down a road with no sidewalks and no one else thus far has walked it). I stay FAR FAR right. But you've made me extra aware! I will be mindful and curtious of my stroller from here on out! LOL.

TJFitnessDiva
07-07-2009, 12:23 AM
It's not the single stroller pushers or even a pair ;). It's the gaggle of women pushing their strollers, walking slow, talking & taking up the entire path two to three rows deep *ugh*. For the most part I go running without my kids but if I have to I'll pop my 2 year old in the jogging stroller & go :) the biggest thing is courtesy which I know the ladies I encounter are seriously lacking!

Numina
07-07-2009, 12:49 AM
People (and around here it is almost always women, sorry) that stop to chat on a trail (or in the grocery store or in their cars in the parking lot, etc.) and have to completely block traffic while they gab and gab and gab. Talk all you want to but move your hind ends OUT OF THE WAY!

LOL!

Couch
07-07-2009, 02:59 AM
I go to a Curves style gym, which is just a circuit of machines and cardio stations, and it drives me insane when people join the circuit the station immediately before me. There's almost always somewhere else in the circuit they could have started without anyone behind them, but now I have to wait at every single change for them to move the weight pin and get off the machine and wipe it down. argh! Also people who skip machines or do extra repeats in such a way that it inconveniences me. I just want to do my workout without dealing with other people.

Idealmuse
07-07-2009, 03:18 AM
Seriously?! Wow.

Just the terms themselves... not the people saying it. I Just feel like it diminishes the accomplishment by making it all cutsie. (shrug) just a personal thing.

TraceyElaine
07-07-2009, 08:32 AM
People who defend their fatness tooth and nail. "you'll never see me loose weight, i'm beautiful, i just like to eat". And then deminish you efforts. Like you hate yourself because your fat or something.

What ever! I love myself and I am beautiful! I just don't want to die of a heart attack in my 30's or be wheel chair bound cuz i'm to fat to walk. I want to live to see my kids get married and have kids.

I honestly think these people are lazy and makin excuses.

dragonwoman64
07-07-2009, 10:44 AM
You mean the ones who sit there preening in the mirror? Grrrr.

(OT edit - Dragonwoman, I lived in Brooklyn til I was 21 - always love to see other Brooklynites on the internets!)

:lol: I do have to laugh at the guys who pose and stare in the mirrors (ahem, you're not alone...).

usually the ones on the resistance machines are staring off into space waiting to do their next set of reps, which must last into the hundreds, because sometimes there still there after I've finished my entire routine

yeah, Brooklyn rules, ha. I've lived here since about 96, I love it here.

dragonwoman64
07-07-2009, 10:50 AM
but now I have to wait at every single change for them to move the weight pin and get off the machine and wipe it down.

there's another good one, at least those people are wiping the machines down. sometimes I think I'm the only one that does that. yucko, hey bub, I don't esp want to sit in yer sweat...

diyana
07-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I understand about "onederland" sounding cutsie...but I can't wait to get there.

My pet peeves are: guys that use the gym as a pick-up place; people who hog resistance machines who won't let you get your set in while they are resting; and screaming, cursing kids running around at the gym. Luckily, I'm a member of a Y where I can either go to one location that does allow kids, or one that does not. It's so peaceful and serene at the one without kids - I can get "in the zone" and focus on my workout. I definitely think kids should be encouraged to exercise, but they should also be supervised so that they respect others and don't behave obnoxiously or rudely.

Trazey34
07-07-2009, 03:12 PM
I have one fun, one serious...

#1 fun -- when I walk, my DH says I look like i'm on my way to kick the crap out of someone hahah I MOVE FAST and I have a neighbour who wants to tag along, too and she gets winded after 5 mins and wants to go back, or pick a route that's not very challenging. FINALLY i said to her "you can come if you can keep up -- otherwise, I'll be back in an hour and we can do a 5 minute walk for you" and that's what she does -she waits on her front step til i come back and jumps in for a 10 minute stroll around the other way - it works out great because i can slow down and cool off and she gets what she wants LOL

#2 the serious pet peeve is a friend who has a skinny child (girl) but she's constantly weighing her!!! just let her BE! don't start these crazy weight issues with the kid when she's only 10 frickin years old! Encourage good eating and some exercise and she'll be fine grrrrr

time2lose
07-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Mine is more along the lines of something that is my fault and I am working on.

I hate having the little old ladies pass me on the walking track. I have got to get faster!

MugCanDoIt
07-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Unprofessional gym employees who ignore people with questions because they are too busy flirting with the girls in the full faces of makeup!

OMG, I can just see this happening. Makes you feel like you want to just throw a big hissy public tantrum, to try to embarass them. :devil:

MugCanDoIt
07-07-2009, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=Pita09;2815310]Being leched on!! For weeks now, this man will get on the eliptical machine next to mine and proceeds to constantly turn his head and check me out. I get to the gym, no make-up, hair tied back, wearing black Capri workout pants and a huge, light-weight T-shirt. I'm in no way looking my best, so I see no reason for this dude to be looking me up and down every freaking morning!

You could always do what I have invisioned doing to people but never had the opportunity to do it. Take your hand and motion it to him, as if to say "go away"....like you cant be bothered with his staring at you. Like you would see someone on tv do to their servant, when they were done with their services. Hee hee!:D

TaraLee
07-07-2009, 05:10 PM
People who defend their fatness tooth and nail. "you'll never see me lose weight, i'm beautiful, i just like to eat". And then deminish you efforts. Like you hate yourself because your fat or something.

What ever! I love myself and I am beautiful! I just don't want to die of a heart attack in my 30's or be wheel chair bound cuz i'm to fat to walk. I want to live to see my kids get married and have kids.

I honestly think these people are lazy and makin excuses.

That is EXACTLY what my friend in my pet peeve post is all about! She doesn't think she looks beautiful but she makes tons of excuses... "my knees hurt," "my back hurts," "I CAN'T go walk with my KIDS!" Like I'm insane for suggesting it... guess what? I take my kids. My kids LOVE the walks. Its special time together and my 4 year old gets to burn off some energy!

Rosinante
07-07-2009, 06:05 PM
O so many I agree with!

People who let their dogs run up to mine, who are leashed and behaving.

People who cringe away from my dogs, who are leashed and behaving and don't slaver or jump, and I always step off the pavement for non-dogwalkers.

The fact that I seem to be the only person who takes a courtesy towel to my gym.

The gym assistant who treats me like a moron, whatever I ask her: I'm only fat and not used to the gym, not stupid.

People who, on hearing I'm watching what I eat, decide to watch for me, and tell me that I shouldn't be eating that cookie. Would you like me to tell you the full calorie content, because I can.

TraceyElaine
07-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Another of mine.....one of the guys who work for my dad is always saying how good I'm doing and asking me about what I'[m doing which is fine. But the other day i told him i lost 40lbs so far and i had lots more to loose. He was like"you don't want to over do it tho." I said i wanted to be 150 cuz i was 120 in highschool and a healthy looking girl. But he was like no way thats too small. So i explained that i might change my mind cuz ya never know till you get there and i am liftine weights and what not. I said i wanted to be 200 by year end and he thought that was excessive.

How is 2lbs a week and 200lbs by xmas excessive? What woman is too thin at 200lbs? Maybe if i was 8 feet tall.

nooch
07-08-2009, 12:13 PM
OMG, I can just see this happening. Makes you feel like you want to just throw a big hissy public tantrum, to try to embarass them. :devil:

And the sad part is that I never, ever will (even though I should) because I don't want to be seen as the jealous fat girl! Sick but true!

time2lose
07-08-2009, 12:18 PM
A co-worker told me last week that I am just melting away and should be careful not to lose too much weight. I wish I could have come up with a fast retort instead of just looking at her with my mouth open. I am still morbidly obese and could lose another 100 pounds and still not be "melting away!"

I almost recommended that she get her eyes checked.

WildThings
07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I can't stand large groups of businessmen who absolutely refuse to scoot over on the sidewalk so I cannot get by. I work in the downtown area of a decent sized city and walk on my lunch breaks. At least once a day, this plow of businessmen will be walking towards me, four or five across, tons of space in between (because the world would stop spinning if they even came remotely close to touching), but not one will go behind the others or at least attempt to make a little room for me to get by. I WILL NOT move. They will have to get used to it. I seriously doubt they would be seen running a over a women who taking up only as much space as necessary on the sidewalk.

I also get irrate over diet and weight police. The diet police that feel it is their job to tell me what I should and should not eat. Then the weight police that think after 20lbs a person shouldn't loose anymore or they will get too thin. At 195, I am still considered obese, of course I am going to loose more. That's exactly what I tell them. I am still considered obese (well, I usually just say overweight because I am not comfortable telling people I am obese) and still at risk for many weight related health issues.

Eileen2bLean
07-08-2009, 07:55 PM
This thread has been fun to read!

My exercise equipment (stationary bike and elliptical) are both at home so I can't complain at all about people interfering with a workout - which is exactly why I wanted my own equipment at home!! We do go bicycling on a nearby trail and it's clearly marked with bike symbols on one side and pedestrian symbols on the other and actually people are pretty good about not hogging the whole thing. So yeah, no pet peeves there either.

Things that do bug me:

- People that inform me that what I'm eating is fattening. Even after I explain that I'm doing low-carb, they argue with me! I finally had to tell someone, "Well I've lost over 50 lbs. eating this way so I must know what I'm doing, huh."

- People that spew anti-low-carb propaganda-like information at me. My diet is not all eggs and bacon and if they start off their diatribe by saying something like that, they've already shown their ignorance so I have no interest in the rest of whatever they "read somewhere."

- Restaurants that don't clearly post their nutritional information online, or post it in such a way that you can't find the carbs and calories for ALL their foods. I like to plan ahead before eating out and there's no excuse nowadays for not providing that info voluntarily. Also, I think the nutritional information should be provided upon request on-site, but I've given up on that possibility because I've never yet been able to get a list on-site at ANY restaurant.

- Misleading "net carb" information on products with sugar alcohols in them. Oh and the Atkin's products are the worst! Unfortunately I'm one of those people who metabolize sugar alcohols just like sugar - so I can't have 'em. But it chaps my rear to see "2 net carbs!" emblazoned across the front of a package when in actuality there's like 20 carbs or more per serving. Grrrrr!

That was fun! Done venting for now. =D

Jennelle
07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't have that many pet peeves with working out. I don't like to have workout partners. I'd rather do it myself. Occasionally, hubby will come to the gym with me, but he does his thing and I do mine. If one of us finishes before the other, we noodle around until the other is ready to go.

For a while, I did have an issue with a woman who brought her five or six year old girl to the gym. It was always around 9?00 at night, and because it's a 24 hour gym, there wasn't anyone there at that time to complain to about the child running wild, messing around with the weights (I'm surprised she didn't get hurt), and oh....the WHINING. I felt sorry for the kid, though. I understand that Mom might not have had a sitter, but if you're going to bring your kid with you, at least bring something along for them to do...some coloring books, dolls, a hand-held video game, some books, SOMETHING! Poor thing was just bored to death.

As far as the food police, I haven't had to deal with that in a very long time. My grandmother (may she RIP), was the WORST, though! And what was even more annoying was that she was at least 150 lbs. overweight herself! As for everyone else, it's none of their business what I eat, therefore, I ignore them.

TaraLee
07-09-2009, 12:23 AM
The gym assistant who treats me like a moron, whatever I ask her: I'm only fat and not used to the gym, not stupid.

People who, on hearing I'm watching what I eat, decide to watch for me, and tell me that I shouldn't be eating that cookie. Would you like me to tell you the full calorie content, because I can.

LMAO.... I think what makes this even funnier for me is most coworkers/family members that have done this to me are downing a huge soda or have a greasy burger or something equally as bad in their hands that they are getting ready to dig into! I am definitly using this the next time!

Arctic Mama
07-09-2009, 05:13 AM
I feel left out, I have no pet peeves beyond having a hard time finding good time to work out because I have two small children (two and one years old) whose nap schedules are strange. All my workout videos, especially cardio, have this habit of waking them up and so I can't really do my thing without either waking them early in the morning or messing up their naps. And taking them out of the house to work out is such an ordeal, I avoid it at all costs!

pintobean
07-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Recently, hubby and I have been going to the high school track for running. Apparently, we weren't the only people who thought it's a good idea to walk/run/jog there :rolleyes: . Yesterday, I went for a late run around 8:15ish pm. I figured we'll have less crowd but boy, was I mistaken. Not only were there more people there but few (barely) teenage girls, who stood in the middle of the track striking a pose (& yapping) in their shorts. I mean come freakin' on, if you're not running or walking don't effing stand in the middle of the track like dumbsh*** blocking other people who are either trying to run or walk. They barely moved an inch when I was running there and they just stood there in my path. I had to maneuver around them :mad:

Not to mention then this family comes in with 2 little kids who are running all over the track. Hello! parents keep your kids on leash if you cannot control them. Freakin' ignorant idiot parents. I almost ran over this little girl who just ran in front of me while I was running. And, yes, parents saw me coming. I was so mad yesterday during my run :mad: . I really wanted to hit someone cuz to me some of the things would be just common sense like not block someone's path or things like that....but, apparently, some of the folks yesterday seemed to lack that basic sense.

/rant over ;)

TraceyElaine
07-09-2009, 08:36 AM
I feel left out, I have no pet peeves beyond having a hard time finding good time to work out because I have two small children (two and one years old) whose nap schedules are strange. All my workout videos, especially cardio, have this habit of waking them up and so I can't really do my thing without either waking them early in the morning or messing up their naps. And taking them out of the house to work out is such an ordeal, I avoid it at all costs!

Do you have a double stroler? I used to put mine in before a nap and they would snooze for the whole walk.

Diva
08-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Large groups of women who walk at the park where I run - they spread out all the way across the 6 foot track and won't move to let me pass by, even when I follow the rules and audible when I'm trying to pass. Then, when I run around on the ground to get past them they make rude comments. I've turned three different groups in to the park police...

Other than that it's the stroller brigade on the paths when I run outside. They will line up the strollers across the whole path and then give you a dirty look when you step off the path to run around them while they are yakking away.

Wow, that's so rude. Not only are these people blocking but they have to be all rude about it when y'all have to go out of your ways to pass them? I think they all must be jealous and secretly wishing THEY were the ones running. They are just trying to make themselves feel better, but still...How rude

The women in the gym with their hair done, make-up on & fancy lycra outfits going SO slow there's no chance they'll ever break a sweat - what's the point (& how the **** do they stay so slim when they obviously aren't working out - sigh).

I don't know if this is the right thread but I also cannot stand when my slim friends complain to me about their weight. Honestly - shut up about the 10lbs you want to lose that no one can see - I have bigger problems.

OMG! I know right! I have a friend who's been thin her entire life. Even after having her baby, you can't even tell she was preggers. She can still wear two pieces at 41 yrs old. But complains when she goes from 100 to 115. Cry me a freakin river! grrrrrrr

ONE WAY SUPPORT SYSTEM:
3- This friend gets irratated when I don't answer her calls (which is generally cause I'm not able to take the call at the time) and give her whatever kind of support she's needing at the moment. But if I try to call her for support, or even just to chat, I can't get her to answer for weeks on end! She's admitted she screens her calls and tells her DH not to answer.

I have a friend like this as well, and as much as I love her....when do I get to get a shoulder to cry on? Everything is always about her and she goes on and on and I can't get a word in edgewise, or if I do, another one of her friends will say the SAME EXACT thing I did, but suddenly, SHE is brilliant... UM Excuse me! Am I invisible here?! Grrrrr BTW, it's the same skinny 115 friend.

LMAO.... I think what makes this even funnier for me is most coworkers/family members that have done this to me are downing a huge soda or have a greasy burger or something equally as bad in their hands that they are getting ready to dig into! I am definitly using this the next time!

I have a cousin who was a fat teenager, and she lost all her weight in her 20's (she's 42 now) and has kept it off but at what price? She dieted and exercised her way to be infertile and tried and failed at having a baby due to her "eating disorder" Thank Goodness she was able to adopt, but still. So Um excuse me if I want to eat that chocolate chip cookie that I've included in my plan on such day. Zip it lady!

My GYM Pet peeves are the chatters. I don't mind a little bit of talking but NOT when I am on the TM or Elliptical. I am working hard and in my zone and I really do not want to be bothered.

I can't stand the beginning of the year when we get a load of "newbs" that totally mess up my schedule and I'm waiting forever for a machine. I am happy these people chose to get healthy, but usually they leave by April anyways so what's the point? or the ones who ask for your help, and then never show back up after I've rearranged my life to be there at a certain time to meet them and help them out.

Also, the Have ya lost any more weight...blah blah blah.... Sometimes I just want to say, Do I F&%$ing LOOK like I've lost more weight???!!! (I haven't this entire year, so I am a bit touchy about it), and last but certainly not least, when someone pours sweat ALL over a machine and just leaves it there for me to clean. That just grosses me out. I am a germa-phobe as it is. EW!!!!!!

Anyhoo, nuff of my rant. Carry on....

jrsygrl
08-10-2009, 11:50 PM
One of the many times that I have lost weight I paid for a personal trainer. I would see him 2x a week. Well it never failed every time I met with my trainer this woman would come over with questions and interrupt my sessions. I finally told my trainer that I didn't appreciate this woman interrupting my session. If she wants your expertise she will have to pay for it like I am. I told him he needs to tell her or I will.

Well I guess he thought I would never say anything. Like clock work the woman comes over to ask a question and I let her have it. I told her that I paid for this time slot if she had any questions or needs assistance there are 3 other trainers available that are not with clients. Now unless you want to split the cost of this session I suggest you ask one of the other trainers. You know she had the nerve to call me rude. I think she was just trying to get free persnal training.

SwimGirl
08-11-2009, 01:31 AM
I used to have a neighbour who would always want to come for walks with me, it was so incredibly painful.. she would actually walk SO slow that I would have to stop! I couldn't walk slow enough.. is that even possible? Well I guess I proved that it is!

I am people's pet peeve :( I work as a Cosmetics Manager and pretty much have to wear makeup to work. I'm that person with a full face of makeup. It's really just too much time to wash my face and then tone, moisturize, just to go for a 45 minute walk - esp since I always wash my face when I am done exercising.

Where I used to walk these older asian ladies would stare at me while I was walking (around a little lake, so I'd pass them 3-4 times)... it was quite irritating to me!! They would stop what they were doing to stare, so I used to take off my sunglasses, stare at them, and then walk backwards staring at them once I passed them. Sometimes that didn't work, so I'd stop right in front of them and say hi.

Now I've moved, there are no people staring, my neighbour lives 2,200 km's away.. and I walk alone or with my bf. :)

-Aimee

TJFitnessDiva
08-11-2009, 01:35 AM
Wow, that's so rude. Not only are these people blocking but they have to be all rude about it when y'all have to go out of your ways to pass them? I think they all must be jealous and secretly wishing THEY were the ones running. They are just trying to make themselves feel better, but still...How rude

lol I've taken to turning my head, giving them a cute little wave then wink at them before taking off again....I think this makes them a little pi$$y especially when I have my 3 year old in my jogging stroller hehe I'm evil sometimes!

haleysmommy5402
08-11-2009, 02:48 AM

this is so totally mine .. i think my blood pressure spiked just reading this .. lol i HATE HATE HATE when people make comments about what im eating .. im counting my calories not you so shut your mouth ..

I'm just starting at the gym so i have yet to find to many issues except for the lil skinny teeny bopers that are "working out" but the whole time they are whispering and laughing with each other like i just feel like they are laughing at me .. but i blow it off as long as i keep doing this ill be skinny like them some day .. the Y here just did like a 3 million dollar remodel and today was the grand opening and i went cuz my daughter is doing a dance camp there so i figured since i was there i would work out .. well all the machines are brand new state of the art and some were hard to figure out like the bikes w/ these screens on them you have to log in blah blah blah .. well i went to ask one of the works about how to log out when another worker (who seen me walking over to ask the other lady a ?) so rudely started talking gossip about other workers .. i mean seriously that can wait for happy hour at 5 lol

SuchAPrettyFace
08-11-2009, 04:04 AM
I swim, so I have a whole bunch of issues no one has brought up yet.

Our Y has 2 pools. The warm one & the cold one. The cold one is Olympic size, has 6 lanes & has.....the waterslides. WTF? Why can't those be with the warm pool? Ah but you see the warm pool is not deep enough. *sigh*

The warm pool is generally filled with kids, parents & chickens who can't take the cold water. ;) But sometimes we get kids in the cold pool. Fine, but seriously, you are dicking around in the water, you are not actually swimming. You do not each need your own lane. You can share a lane & let the people who are there to swim, actually swim.

There are times when there are swimming lessons in the cold pool. Fabulous. Again, you don't need a whole lane to yourself & yes, it will not kill you to share. I pay a monthly fee for the last 7 years to use the pool, so I will do so. There is one mother in particular who likes to remind you (as you're easing yourself into the pool down the steps) that this lane is for her daughter's lesson. Every. Single. Time. They need to put her in the farthest lane FROM the ladder so she can stop giving everyone dirty looks in the pool & so her mother can maybe, oh, I dunno, get in the pool & swim with her kid?

This girl is also the one in the locker room who refuses to say excuse me or wait for you to get out of her way. She has no problem bending over at her locker in front of your face!!! :eek: With her suit on, but still! She's the rudest thing I've ever seen & even typing about it makes me mad. My swim partner can't STAND her.

There is a separate changing room for those 16 & under, but every once in awhile, someone's not watching the 3yo & he wanders into the adult ladies locker room. Unacceptable. These girls who were "watching" him were in their teens. I think that the door leading to the adult locker room needs to have a code so the little ones can't just walk in. I had half a mind to take him by the hand & find his sisters.

Unsupervised children. WHY????? Why would you drop your kid off at the gym & leave? I can't tell you how many teenagers who aren't 16 have been kicked out of the hot tub by the lifeguards.

Lane Hoggers, part 1, Splashy McSplasherton. There is one guy who comes who NO ONE wants to share a lane with. He is a serious swimmer, and very good, but he does this one move that looks like a bear coming out of the water looking for salmon. He also splashes 2 lanes in either direction which is how he got his nickname.

Lane Hoggers Part 2: Electric Boogaloo--people who don't come up for enough air after a lap for you to ask them if you can share a lane. It's considered bad etiquette to just jump in someone's lane without asking, but if you don't pull your head out of the water, I can't ask. Please don't give me dirty looks for not asking if you can't be bothered to take a breather. I know we're all here for a workout, but you do need to check your pulse with the big clock occasionally.

Lane Hoggers Part 3--The swimming instructors. Lessons have been over for 5-30 min. Go gossip in the hot tub or sauna, don't sit at the end of 2 prefectly free lanes!!!!! Change the signs on the lanes to say LAP SWIM instead of SWIM LESSONS & move your asses!

Naked Women In The Locker Room. They're called towels. Look into them. Also, please use them to make a seat for yourself on the bench. I don't want to see anyone else sitting on the bench bareassed like I did the one lady last month. She was old enough to know better!

Bonnie+J
08-11-2009, 06:32 AM
I get extremely aggravated with people who tell me "It's so difficult for us to lose weight because we are so very busy and we don't have "diet" food readily available where we live. Well....aren't we all busy?! And, you have plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables available to you. This is difficult for everyone. Don't be such a martyr. You're only hurting yourself!

this bugs me no end. they make it seem like because i am a stay at home mother i'm never busy. cos my 2 year old obviously takes care of himself :rolleyes:
also the people who say they cant eat healthy food because its too expensive. we live on one very low salary and yet i can still make healthy food for my family. if anything its cheaper to eat well, you just have to know how to make it interesting for the kids. an hour research would give you hundreds of recipes to try.

at the gym, it bugs me when the trainer walks past and says really loudly, "feel the burn bonnie+j!" so everyone looks at me to see what i'm doing. paying for a personal plan has become the worst idea ever!

What annoys me too is the really buff guy at the gym who lifts weights, but likes to grunt really loudly, so that everyone can see that he is lifting. he wears a teeny tiny muscle shirt and lifts it to wipe his face to show off his abs. then his gf comes in and he gives her some pointers on her routine, but he actually doesnt have a clue, so the girl is using the resistance weights badly and one of these days i'm gonna tell her she will hurt herself if she keeps doing it. but anyway, after her workout (which lasts 15 mins) she goes back to him and records him on her cell phone. its pretty hilarious if it wasnt so distracting.

Diva
08-11-2009, 09:22 AM
lol I've taken to turning my head, giving them a cute little wave then wink at them before taking off again....I think this makes them a little pi$$y especially when I have my 3 year old in my jogging stroller hehe I'm evil sometimes!

Hehe! You go girl!

I swim, so I have a whole bunch of issues no one has brought up yet.

Our Y has 2 pools. The warm one & the cold one. The cold one is Olympic size, has 6 lanes & has.....the waterslides. WTF? Why can't those be with the warm pool? Ah but you see the warm pool is not deep enough. *sigh*

The warm pool is generally filled with kids, parents & chickens who can't take the cold water. ;) But sometimes we get kids in the cold pool. Fine, but seriously, you are dicking around in the water, you are not actually swimming. You do not each need your own lane. You can share a lane & let the people who are there to swim, actually swim.

There are times when there are swimming lessons in the cold pool. Fabulous. Again, you don't need a whole lane to yourself & yes, it will not kill you to share. I pay a monthly fee for the last 7 years to use the pool, so I will do so. There is one mother in particular who likes to remind you (as you're easing yourself into the pool down the steps) that this lane is for her daughter's lesson. Every. Single. Time. They need to put her in the farthest lane FROM the ladder so she can stop giving everyone dirty looks in the pool & so her mother can maybe, oh, I dunno, get in the pool & swim with her kid?

This girl is also the one in the locker room who refuses to say excuse me or wait for you to get out of her way. She has no problem bending over at her locker in front of your face!!! :eek: With her suit on, but still! She's the rudest thing I've ever seen & even typing about it makes me mad. My swim partner can't STAND her.

There is a separate changing room for those 16 & under, but every once in awhile, someone's not watching the 3yo & he wanders into the adult ladies locker room. Unacceptable. These girls who were "watching" him were in their teens. I think that the door leading to the adult locker room needs to have a code so the little ones can't just walk in. I had half a mind to take him by the hand & find his sisters.

Unsupervised children. WHY????? Why would you drop your kid off at the gym & leave? I can't tell you how many teenagers who aren't 16 have been kicked out of the hot tub by the lifeguards.

Lane Hoggers, part 1, Splashy McSplasherton. There is one guy who comes who NO ONE wants to share a lane with. He is a serious swimmer, and very good, but he does this one move that looks like a bear coming out of the water looking for salmon. He also splashes 2 lanes in either direction which is how he got his nickname.

Lane Hoggers Part 2: Electric Boogaloo--people who don't come up for enough air after a lap for you to ask them if you can share a lane. It's considered bad etiquette to just jump in someone's lane without asking, but if you don't pull your head out of the water, I can't ask. Please don't give me dirty looks for not asking if you can't be bothered to take a breather. I know we're all here for a workout, but you do need to check your pulse with the big clock occasionally.

Lane Hoggers Part 3--The swimming instructors. Lessons have been over for 5-30 min. Go gossip in the hot tub or sauna, don't sit at the end of 2 prefectly free lanes!!!!! Change the signs on the lanes to say LAP SWIM instead of SWIM LESSONS & move your asses!

Naked Women In The Locker Room. They're called towels. Look into them. Also, please use them to make a seat for yourself on the bench. I don't want to see anyone else sitting on the bench bareassed like I did the one lady last month. She was old enough to know better!

The lane Hoggers while NOT swimming bother me too, as do the Splashy McSplasherton's (cute name) of the world. The Evil eyed Mom would totally get ion my last nerve and I'd prolly tell her about herself, LOL! And the sweet little old ladies like to be all nakified here too! I guess they figure they are old enuff not to care???...I dunno, but it makes me rather uncomfortable all the same.

Phenomenal Woman
08-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I think my most major pet peeve is when someone thinks that because I am obviously overweight, this gives them the god-given right to 1. Address the issue of my weight without worrying about offending me. 2. Automatically assume that I am trying to lose weight, and 3. Try to aid me in my quest to be more like them by imparting to me their great wisdom, perspectives and advice on the subject, all the while claiming to do so out of "concern for your health". :P

I mean, I don't go up to them and say, "Oh, hey, I hear your marriage is ending because you are such an overbearing control freak! How's that going for you? You know, I've heard if you...." Or "Oh wow, look at the size of those ears, those must drive you crazy! What doctor are you seeing to have those reduced in size? I know if I were you..."

Seriously? I don't need that kind of "encouragement". Just keep your "help" to yourself please. Thanks.

Another thing I can't stand is people who have been thin all their lives try to make themselves feel better by giving me weight loss advice, but I suppose that sorta feeds into the above pet peeve. Hehehe :D

As for exercise pet peeves, I can't stand it when I'm on a machine, not looking my best, sweat pouring down my brow, in my own zone, doing what I'm supposed to be doing, and someone, anyone, but usually a younger thin girl walks by and looks me up and down and then tightens their lips into an expression of "Well, at least she's trying...":bomb: lol There are at least 3 girls at my gym who do this to me every time they see me there. I swear I wanna trip them and tie their gym shoes together when they aren't looking. :devil:

Also, lane hoggers while swimming or on the walking/bike paths are horrible to deal with as well.... especially given the fact that I'm not so steady on my bike yet and am very likely to get into an accident if people don't move out of my way. LOL (Of course, then maybe it's me that is more of a nuisance in that situation. LOL )

Jadebatdog
08-11-2009, 11:11 AM
I have a pet peeve but it's not really workout related. The last couple my husband and I lived with (a girl who ate whatever she wanted and never worked out but was always thin and her boyfriend) claimed to be health nuts, they would constantly point out things we were doing wrong like eating after 7 or commenting on the lard (butter) that I put on my toast in the morning. We usually took turns grocery shopping and my husband and I would buy generally healthy food. Everytime they went grocery shopping they would buy JUNK tons of cookies and chips even though they knew that we were trying to lose weight! Then they would eat all of our healthy food first and leave only junk food for us to eat!

JulieJ08
08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Jade, I have roommates, and I could never even begin to share shopping and cooking! Mine is mine and they're 100% on their own. :) Not that what we eat has *anything* in common.

dragonwoman64
08-11-2009, 12:39 PM
too funny, I was thinking about this thread yesterday.

they're strict at the 2 Y's I've gone to here about the use of lanes; and they have set schedules for lessons and exercising and free swimming. In one Y, the kids and parents get priority in one lane, the rest are for serious exercisers. puts me in an akward place, since I like to swim but am not great at it. I can swim around the kids, or try not to be too lame in a regular lane, heh heh.

the first time I went to my gym's pool, at like 6am, in the hopes of avoiding large numbers of swimmers, I saw they'd marked off the lanes by speed/skill level. unfortunately, the slow swim lane had more people (the ones for faster swimmers had maybe 1 or 2). one older woman gave me the dirtiest looks after a while because I suppose I was disrupting her regular routine :o)

I don't know if it's so much a peeve, but seems to happen to me all the time. I use the treadmills right next to the arc machines (there are only 2), with the idea that I'll do 20 minutes on the treadmill followed by 20 on the arc. seems to never fail that NO one touches either arc machine until I'm about 30 seconds away from switching, then suddenly two people jump on. arrg.

belezura
08-11-2009, 02:03 PM
I am sorry to say I am the girl on the cell phone at the gym...
It makes my cardio less boring and I can catch up with my friend.
It is the same thing if I was talking to someone working out next me.
And that is the only time of the day I have to talk to her. I work 9h shift, go 2 the gym for other 2 hours and when I get home (dead) I still have to cook and eat. So, while I am at the gym is the only real time I have.
If you don’t like to work out next to people you should be going somewhere else... :D
Now, what irritate me at the gym is when I am doing my sets on a machine and someone stands up next me waiting for me to finish it...
Excuse-me!!!! It won’t make me go any faster, actually it can slow me down...
Go to some other machine until I am done.
I also had to wait for my turn, so I don’t think that you are going to die if you wait for yours while you do some other machine, stead of staring at me when I am working my a$$ off...

Misora
08-11-2009, 03:23 PM

OMG That's why I stopped working out early in the mornings at my office. One of my coworkers bends at the waiste NAKED. I texted my sister once I got back to my desk "MY EYES! God gave you knees for a reason woman! USE THEM!". Didn't have the nerve to say it to her face though. *shudders*

Me personally I'm probably a pet peeve for some people because I'm very modest and won't walk around naked. I always take a one peice sundress to change into after work outs so I hop in the shower, dry off and pull on my dress. Yes the sign says don't get dressed in the shower areas but I still take less time than most of the women and always wait to go last so nobody's waiting for me.

My biggest pet peeve that I've run into so far is the local highschool gym coach. There's a nature reserve in my town that I like to go to sometimes for a change of scenery. Haven't been there recently in fact because the last time I was there was during the school year and one of the local highschool coaches had several students running the trails. This in and of itself wouldn't have been an issue except that he was supervising them from the top of a hill with a megaphone. It's a nature reserve! There's big signs all over the place talking about the importance of being quiet and not leaving trash around and here's out here with a megaphone at 5 am! Plus my walking partner has debilitating head aches sometimes which this wasn't helping and there wasn't anywhere in the park you couldn't head him. I swear if it happens again I don't know if I'm calling his principal or the police. I'm not decided.

Diva
08-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I have a pet peeve but it's not really workout related. The last couple my husband and I lived with (a girl who ate whatever she wanted and never worked out but was always thin and her boyfriend) claimed to be health nuts, they would constantly point out things we were doing wrong like eating after 7 or commenting on the lard (butter) that I put on my toast in the morning. We usually took turns grocery shopping and my husband and I would buy generally healthy food. Everytime they went grocery shopping they would buy JUNK tons of cookies and chips even though they knew that we were trying to lose weight! Then they would eat all of our healthy food first and leave only junk food for us to eat!

OH Lordy! I would have went off! :mad:

Another pet peeve that I forgot about until I was at the GYM this morning is when people come in and they smell like they took a bath in cologne or perfume! OMG!!! I have asthma and allergies and this really irritates the senses, and for some reason they ALWAYS get on the cardio machine right next to me and when they are done, they stand right in front of the fan while they conversate about whatever. This one guy, and arrogant Doctor that comes to my GYM does this ALL the time. I finally just started going earlier as to avoid him.

I dunno if the cell phone talkers would irritate me so much. No ones done it so far, but I always have my ipod on anyways, so I tune out most of what is going on anyways...but you can't tune out the olfactory senses!!!!

TheWalrus
08-11-2009, 04:50 PM
I hate the bicyclists who pass us while we're walking on the path without letting us know that they're coming by. I've seen some pretty nasty accidents -- one horrific one between a bicyclist and a rollerblader -- so I get angry and freaked out. My husband says that he won't walk with me any more if I can't stop getting mad!

SuchAPrettyFace
08-12-2009, 01:40 AM
they're strict at the 2 Y's I've gone to here about the use of lanes; and they have set schedules for lessons and exercising and free swimming. In one Y, the kids and parents get priority in one lane, the rest are for serious exercisers. puts me in an akward place, since I like to swim but am not great at it. I can swim around the kids, or try not to be too lame in a regular lane, heh heh.

Oh, I don't care if you're Dara Torres or anything, just be willing to share the lane! That's all I ask. :) Our pool has the schedules too & one day they kicked me out of my lane (twice) for Aqua Power. A bunch of people riding around in a big circle on their Noodles. It was like something out of Cocoon. You need 3 lanes for that? Seriously? So much for "Hey I got out of work early, I think I'll go have a swim & beat the crowd & avoid Splashy."

the first time I went to my gym's pool, at like 6am, in the hopes of avoiding large numbers of swimmers, I saw they'd marked off the lanes by speed/skill level. unfortunately, the slow swim lane had more people (the ones for faster swimmers had maybe 1 or 2). one older woman gave me the dirtiest looks after a while because I suppose I was disrupting her regular routine :o)

Screw her & the dolphin she swam in next to. :rofl: You have every right to be there too! :yes: Next time jump in one of the other lanes, because sometimes nobody shows up for them!

toastedsmoke
08-12-2009, 04:38 AM
1.) My friend Yen, who acts shocked by everything low-fat or sugar-free I eat. "What?!?!? Skimmed Milk? In my country that's for the poorest of the poor. It's like when the owner of the house has drank and the servants rinse the glass and drink it." Of course she'd say this as she sat in her size zero jeans and she poured heavy cream over her chocolate cereal to "thicken the whole milk." Grrr!

2.) Friends and family who find out you're eating better and become your diet police announcing to the whole group that "we can't eat there, toasted is dieting and she won't enjoy it," and make it seem that you have some sort of very stringent diet requirements (which is not really the case, I've never not been able to find something to eat at a restaurant) that mean you can't eat regular food, so that you feel like a joy-kill.

3.) Or even worse friends or family, who in public can't stop talking about (and by talking, I mean pretty much yelling) about how much slimmer you look so that strangers begin to look at your still pretty chubby self and wonder just how fat you used to be. (like whatever happened to the "inside" voice).

4.) Friends who insist on going on about how out of shape they are and how you both should get into shape together and then invite themselves to your work out session which you'd really much rather do alone and are pretty much marathon runners and look at you afterwards like "I thought you worked out" and just basically feel like your effort is worthless. yeah i work out, but I'm not a marathon runner, going 8mph on the treadmill on some considerable incline for 1hr. Give me that kind of "out of shape" any day.

5.) People at the gym who after their perky run, come and do some pretzel-like stretches in front of your machine. It's like I'm not your gyneacologist and this is not a yoga class, I should never see you from this angle. Why can't you stretch in front of/next to your machine, why come in front of me? Yeah I know you're flexible and in shape, but you're distracting and I don't know where to put my eyes.

dragonwoman64
08-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Oh, I don't care if you're Dara Torres or anything, just be willing to share the lane! That's all I ask. :) Our pool has the schedules too & one day they kicked me out of my lane (twice) for Aqua Power. A bunch of people riding around in a big circle on their Noodles. It was like something out of Cocoon. You need 3 lanes for that? Seriously? So much for "Hey I got out of work early, I think I'll go have a swim & beat the crowd & avoid Splashy."

too funny. here we don't have that courtesy of asking to share lanes, I guess the large urbanness of Brooklyn makes people more hesitant to talk to each other. or else they just don't want to be bothered, which is probably the more likely reason, heh heh.

Screw her & the dolphin she swam in next to. :rofl: You have every right to be there too! :yes: Next time jump in one of the other lanes, because sometimes nobody shows up for them!

it's funny, I think that lady may have appointed herself something of the queen bee of morning lap swims. when I went into the locker room I noticed someone had taken over the largest dressing room, with a towel, and clothes set up just so, the door wide open (rather trusting, it is Brooklyn). my spidey sense told me it had to be her.

toastedsmoke, my dad grew up in the country, and he looks down on skim milk too, he grudgingly drinks lowfat now (after a couple of triple bi-passes!!)

you know, the stretching I can take, but when they're putting they're feet all over the arms of the treadmill machine, I can't help thinking, you know, people hold on to those with their hands! I hold onto those with my hands. And your feet have been tramping around outside in garbage and dog poo and who knows what. Have some awareness people!