Old 07-05-2009, 05:36 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default W.O.W Labor Day Challenge

HI! Welcome to the W.O.W. Labor Day Challenge. Whether you are a regular, newcomer, or coming back, join us and help us get through the summer.

We also need a catchy name so any suggestions would be great! Hopefully we will have our name by WEEK 2.

For any newbies, the traditional copy and paste:

Women on... WHAT??

Okay, let me explain that "Women on WEED" is not what you might be thinking. During previous challenges, a group of us formed a great bond, and we've been challenge buddies ever since. We use the word "WEED" as a mnemonic device to set daily goals, an easy and very specific way to remind yourself during your day to take care of your body, and to nurture your Mind, Mouth and Muscles... it really does help. After all, we are all taking this a day at a time, right?

If you join this challenge, you will see it often - and you are encouraged to give it a try. Here's what it stands for:

W - Water intake. Set a daily goal for how much water you're going to drink. Although there is conflicting research as to how much to actually consume in a day, we all agree it is important to drink lots to stay healthy. So make it a goal!

E - Exercise. Efficient, healthy weight loss isn't going to happen unless you incorporate some kind of physical activity in your life. Everyone does it differently; some go to the gym, some work out at home, and some find ways to sneak in little bits of exercise all throughout the day. Set yourself a goal, even if it's small. Little bits done often WILL add up over time!

E - Eats. Being that we all have different eating plans and weight loss philosophies, this is sort of a wild card. Whatever plan you're on, set yourself a plan-appropriate daily eating goal for the day. Don't forget to make it specific!

D - Daily goal/Daily affirmation. This is another wild card. It doesn't even have to be weight-loss related! This is the spot where you list something you want to get accomplished. Or, you can use "D" for a a daily affirmation - it's an opportunity to say something good and positive about yourself. Sometimes, when we fall short - and we ALL do sometime - we are tempted to berate ourselves. Although it's good to recognize when we don't reach our goals, it's also good to remind ourselves of the awesome parts of ourselves. So go ahead and remind yourself of that in the "D" part of WEED.

Well here it is! Jump right in, tell us about yourselves, your goals, your home lives, your healthy plan, etc. We LOVE newbies! And we LOVE our regulars! Welcome back!

Last edited by jcatron243; 07-05-2009 at 05:38 AM.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:45 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

Quick intro for me:

My name is Jeni. I am married with two kids Mak is 5 and Tommy is 3. I have been losing steadily and slowly over the past 3 years or so. I have my share of ups and downs, right now I am coming off of a 5 pound gain and trying to get back to my lowest.

W: I drink around 64-100 oz of water a day depending on my work schedule and activity level.

E I usually exercise on my days off, which is about 4 days one week and 3 the next. I work out at the gym, usually straight cardio for an hour. two days a week I take a class that involves 25 minutes of weights and abs.

E I try to stick to 1200-1400 calories a day. It is a lot easier for me when i am at work to stick to my plan.

D Usually my goal is housework related and eating clean.

My goal for this challenge is to be back down to 146. That will be 5 pounds for me. I would LOVE to be at 144 by the end of this challenge. I will work hard to achieve this.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

As for me

I am 43, married to my HS sweetheart, we have 2 boys 21 & 18
OS will be a Sr in college, YS a Freshman, good part is they will be at the same college. I have fought my weight for ever, fat kid, fat in Jr high, skinny in HS but bulimic, gained boatload of weight with both pregnancies (over 60# each) and here I am 18 yrs later, never having lost it all. This is going to be my challenge, with both kids away, I will have nothing but time, plan to spend it on me! My immediate goal, for this challenge is to get firmly back to the 140's and I would like to be closer to the 130's than the 140's by Labor Day.

To do that, I need to pay attention to what I eat, no more BLTs (bites, licks and tastes) of anything that does not fit in my plan. Fitday?

I am also going to average an hour a day of movement, not always jogging, some cycling and walking too. Also 20 minutes of weights 3x a week (hate weights) and dragging my hula hoop out for 20 minutes of ab work every night. Need to journal that as well.

W today 100 oz, so far only had coffee, so need to get on that
E Going for a walk in a minute, possibly turbo jam today as well
E OP, Good carb, low fat
D Try to not lose it for the day/week/month when you see a blip. Stay on track!
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #4  
mtiger

S/C/G: 251.5/177/145

Wink

Happy NEW Challenge. I want to be firmly in the 170's by Sept., so need to lose 5-10 pounds. 5 would be good, 10 would be great. I lose very slowly so the 10 pounds would be a real stretch. I am giving it my all.

For those who don't know me, I am a 49 year old elementary school teacher. I have 2 children, a 24 yr old DD and my son will be turning 21 in a few weeks. I live on a small farm with chickens, a goat and a horse. It's fun, but lots of work. I count calories, trying to get 1400-1500 a day. I also work out alot. Like everyday.

So ladies, lets rock this new challenge and hopefully everyone will meet their personal goals.
mtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #5  
Super Girl

S/C/G: 153/153/135

Height: 5'5"

Talking

First of all, I hope I can find this challenge again when I want to post. I'm relatively new to 3FC, and I can never seem to find things again when I want to re-post, or see how other people have responded. You'd never know I actually grew up with technology.
Anyway, a bit about me. I am a married mom of 3 (13DD,11DD,8DS), and a school teacher on summer vacation. I've NEVER been good at losing weight; I love food and I hate exercise. But as I'm 33 now, I don't know if it's vanity or sensibility, but suddenly the 30 pounds I've put on since having kids makes me crazy with worry. I'm not aiming to lose ALL of it. Right now, I'm at 153, and I'd like to lose 18 pounds.
To that end, WEED sounds good. My WEED will look something like this:
W - just drink more. Right now, I drink maybe 2 glasses a day. Maybe. So let's go for 4.
Eats - just trying to follow The Best Life plan. I DON'T count calories. I haven't got the time or the patience or whatever it is that people have that DO count calories.
Exer - training for a 5k Race for the Cure in October. Also, per TBL, trying to increase activity all around.
D - This will change, of course, and some of it might have to come from outside sources. I'm not always good at telling myself I'm doing a good thing.

Whew! That was NOT really a short intro. I'll try to keep posting, but like I said, I'm miserable at finding my way around the 3FC site yet. So, in the event that I can't find my way back, good luck everyone!!!!

Last edited by SuperGirl; 07-05-2009 at 10:54 AM.
SuperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #6  

Supergirl, welcome and if you click on thread tools and then choose "subscribe to thread" it will save us for you, then when you want to go back, click quick links and it will show those you are subscribed to. We usually have a new thread each week, so if you can find us once a week, you'll be there, also when we go on to the next week, we link last week to it..hope that helps!

We are pretty close in weight, although I am 10 years older , so hope we can motivate each other!

Where are the rest of our girls? Grazer, HT, Kris, Michelle, E, Aud, Jaya?
I am missing lots of you, come back, we miss you....
Old 07-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #7  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

I'm in. I'll weigh in tomorrow morning for the official weigh in. How many weeks is between now and then? I'll try for 245 (I think my weigh in will be somewhere around 260)

I'm Michelle, 33, mom to Robert-9 and Rachel-5 and wife of 11 years to Mike. I am "technically" a nurse but on leave getting treatment for an addiction problem (long story but I am 90 days sober on July 17th!) So not working right now should give me time to work out, etc. but I'm pretty busy in treatment and going to meetings. When the kids go to school this fall (Rachel in kindergarten!!! WOW) I'll have time to do my recovery stuff AND go to the gym. But for now I've been doing my WiiFit and EA Fitness trainer for the Wii. Plus my eating has been spot on.

W- I kill some water. No problems there. I probably do 2-4 liters/day.

E- Diet wise, I try to stick to lean meats, fruits and veggies. I love my Fiber One stuff, am planning to make the muffins this week. Probably today in fact. I LOVE eggbeaters with onions/peppers. I also like South Beach stuff.

E- I belong to Ladies Super Fitness, but like I mentioned above, I don't get there much. But should and will. But I have been doing my EA Fitness (MUCH recommended!) and Wii Fit. Should start walking the neighborhood.

D- Just getting in touch and connecting with my Higher Power helps me control my urges and gives me strength. Did you know that Overeaters Anonymous uses the principles and 12 steps same as NA/AA? I'm kind of using my recovery patterns for the addiction to help me treat my food addiction and compulsion too. Will post more about the 12 steps later.

Will promise to post at least three times a week. Hopefully more. I love the motivation of a new challenge and kick myself when I start to get lazy. LOL

Hope everyone pops back in, hope to meet the new gals and catch up with old friends. Love you all!

xoxoxoxo Michelle
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #8  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Back with a vengence!

Hi sweet weedies!

Okay. I am taking today as my refocus day. Getting prepared for success this challenge. And renewing my pinky swear to get here daily. This is definitely the group that I need, and I have missed you girls sooo badly.

Welcome Supergirl! Hope you love it here!

About me: Mom to DS (20 - holy crap) and unofficial step mom to DD(9), DS (7) and DS (4). Business partner and best friends with boyfriend (33) and I just turned 38 yesterday! Full time job myself, starting 2 companies, and missing my river trips terribly (our vacation place flooded in May and we haven't gotten back in yet). Currently my house is dirty, I need to brush my teeth, and I had left over birthday cake for breakfast.

I spent the 1st 1/2 of 2009 with a broken bum, 3 (or was it 4?) lovely twisted ankles, and my tragic assent over 200lbs looming daily. It's all about to change.

This challenge name (for me) is Me-More-Real (instead of Memorial). I have to check in, do the work and know that I have to be realistic about what I can accomplish with the things happening in my world right now. This business thing has absorbed my life. I am going to start putting my first by committing to little stuff this challenge.

So glad to see everyone here already!!! I really did miss you girls to the core of me! Letting at least one of my other challenges go (sorry Shari) and gonna get here, daily, even if just to say hey.

My starting weight is 203.6. I would like to peel off 10 lbs. Anything over that is a bonus. I am not going to waste another 6 months. They come and go too quickly to not make something of them!

Be Good!

Last edited by Nixmom; 07-05-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Nixmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #9  

I like the Me More Real challenge, we had talked about it being a "do over"!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #10  
Super Girl

S/C/G: 153/153/135

Thank you all for the very warm welcome!
And, mothermavis, I NEED all the support I can get!!
Those of you that told me how to subscribe to the thread, thank you! I hope I can keep up now! Plus, I was able to follow the little links at the top to get back here. Phew!
Here we go! Labor Day. How far away is that? Can I do my 18 pounds by then???? Hmmm...I don't think so. I'll go for half. So, by Labor Day, I want to be down to 144.
SuperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/150

Height: 5"2

Didn't think we were starting today. I ate lots of crap this weekend! Anyway, I'm here now and that's all that matters. I am a mom of two DS and work in health care. I've gained about 5 pounds since Spring. My plan is to get to the high 150s, low 160s by the end of this challenge. I know I need to watch the cals, journal, and get back to exercise! I always feel guilty when I leave the kids to exercise because I'm gone all day. Gotta decide to get up earlier in the morning and stick with it.
Grazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #12  
Calorie Counter

supergirl

There are 9 weeks till labor day if I counted correctly. (may be off I am super tired right now).

Grazer I started the thread a little early just to get it going. I would have forgotten if I waited til tomorrow.

Rough day at work, but 1 more until I get to work out again!!! Okay, I am going to head to shower and bed. See ya all in the morning.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #13  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

girls!

SuperGirl!

My name is Shari. I'm 22, no kids yet, with one furbaby, Pullo, who is getting on my last nerve! I think it's guilt on my part, though. Moving (once again) at the end of this month, plus Sunshine's wedding and my birthday so July will be HECTIC!

WI was today and I'm down 2.2 from last week.

SW: 266
GW: 248

My WEED for this challenge:

W ~ 128 oz
E ~ SP
E ~ 20 mins
D ~ Hold on tight to what few marbles I have left.
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #14  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Hi! I'm Allison. I'm a 20 year old college student trying to lose the weight I've put on the past three years. I lost weight in high school and kept it off for a number of years, so I know I can do it! I tend to get off track when school starts and I get busy and stressed. I have a part-time job at an office where I tend to eat at my desk. I'm single, so no boyfriend to mess me up by taking me out to dinner! I have a little parrot who eats lots of veggies and healthy things, so I need to learn to eat like him!

I would like to be at 130 by labor day.

W: I have a 18oz water bottle I carry around. I try to drink four a day at a minimum. If I drink much more I'm running to the bathroom all the time...

E: I'm working on the c25k plan. I'm not sure if I'll be done by labor day (I don't always get three runs in a week) but I'd like to have stuck with it. I'd like to do a race for the cure run in the fall.

E: stick to ww core, or I guess it's "simply filling" plan and actually COUNT my flex points

D: just try to remember if I eat one thing that's off plan, it's not a license to go off plan for the rest of the day. or if I have one bad day, it's not a license to go off plan for the rest of the WEEK.

Last edited by rosekeet; 07-06-2009 at 01:36 AM.
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #15  
Calorie Counter

rosekeet I like your "D"

Morning Shari!

This weekend has been horrible sleepwise. I really hope I am able to get up early and workout tomorrow. If I go early I get in a good long workout without worrying about getting my kids on time.

Workday Weed for me today. It should go fine.