Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 159/???/115

Question Cardio VS. Weight training....

What do you think is better? More cardio or more weight training.
I know that muscles burn fat but I don't want to get too "buff"
Also, what about joining a gym? Waste of money? I mean it sounds kinda dumb to pay to exercise...am I alone on that?

Input??
Lizxbeth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #2  

I think people always say that a combination of both (weight training/cardio) is the best for you. But, personally, I'm a big cardio girl myself. As for the gym, I've never really been into that. Generally, anything you can do at the gym you can do at home. Besides, I've never really been a big fan of people watching me work out.
tbcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

YES, a combination of both cardio and strength training is the best. I wouldn't worry about getting too buff. Just toning is hard enouph to accomplish. You would have to be lifting weights like a mad woman to become too buff. Cardio does burn more calories, but building muscles help to burn more calories throughout the day and boost metabolism. plus they just look good. a toned trim body looks much better and healthier than a flimsy weak trim body. IMO
I dont know what I would do w/o my gym! I love the classes they offer, and all the equipment. There is no way you could get all those choices of different exercises by just working out at home. I think I would get too bored. I LOVE my spin classes at the gym! and NO ONE is watching me work out. seriously, they are too busy worrying about their own work outs than to be watching other people. Its worth the money to me. good luck
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

I have to agree with HVEECK, on several points.
1. It is very hard to get to the point where you look 'buff'. You have to build a significant amount of muscle (hard for women, because we don't have testosterone) AND get your body fat pretty low. If you're worried about waking up wake day and saying, "OMG! I look like a man!"...don't worry, it won't happen.
2. People at the gym are there to work out. No one's watching you. If you do visit a gym and there are people preening and trying to get dates (there's one near me like that), just join a different gym.
3. I have found the classes at the gym to be very helpful. It forces me to work harder than I otherwise would, and try different things. I've said it before, but I also love the community aspect of classes. Going there every day, seeing the same people, chatting--it appeals to the social side of me, that working out on a machine by myself doesn't affect.
4. The biggest benefit is the variety of equipment at the gym. I can do cardio at home, but I certainly donn't have the three machines that I like at home. And I definitely don't have the weights at home that they have at the gym! Even the Bosu ball--to buy one costs over $100. For cardio, I could keep running and biking to lose weight, but I would definitely need to motivate myself more, since I would be bored more.

You can definitely lose weight without a gym. I lost the first 20 pounds just by doing cardio on my own. However, I lost the last 20 (okay, 17 pounds so far) after joining the gym near my workplace. Now I'm getting compliments on how fit I am. A couple months a go, a male co-worker I'm friends with noticed me in a sleeveless shirt (it was warm in the office that day) and commented on how good my arms looked. And a female co-worker who has been going to the gym too said she told her husband she wanted calves like mine. That wouldn't happen without the strength training I'm doing, since it's the muscle on my body that makes me look fit and "toned."
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Put me down for another vote for gym for the variety. In my past I have been one of those "I HAVE to exercise" people but am now a "I GET to exercise" and it's because I don't get bored.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

If you don't want to join a gym, you can do a variety of cardio/strength routines at home/outside. The cardio stuff is obvious (run, bike, step, walk, hike, etc.)

For strength stuff you could look at kettlebell training and check out this site as well for other ideas as well.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 07-05-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I don't belong to a gym. I get my cardio through walking, biking, hiking, swimming, kayaking and usually some combination of those (biking to the beach, etc.)

For strength I do yoga, sit ups and use my free weights for my arms.

I never tire for variety and never have to motivate myself to leave the house to do anything because I do most of my exercise at home and the stuff that I do outside is what I want to do. No motivation needed to go hiking!

To me the gym seems like something I'd have to schedule into my day and then get over with.

But I think there are some people who love the gym, so you just have to figure out which kind you are.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

The question should not be Cardio VS Weight training but Cardio AND Weight Training the advantages:

Benefits of Cardio :

Quote:

1. Weight loss
2. Stronger heart and lungs
3. Increased bone density
4. Reduced stress
5. Reduced risk of heart disease and some types of cancer
6. Temporary relief from depression and anxiety
7. More confidence about how you feel and how you look 8.
8. Better sleep
9. More energy
10. Setting a good example for your kids to stay active as they get older
AND
The Benefits of Weight training:

Quote:
1. Weight training tones your muscles which looks great and raises your basal metabolism...which causes you to burn more calories 24 hours a day. You'll even burn more calories while you're sleeping.

2. Weight training can reverse the natural decline in your metabolism which begins around age 30.

3. Weight training energizes you.

4. Weight training has a positive effect on almost all of your 650-plus muscles.

5. Weight training strengthens your bones reducing your risk of developing osteoporosis.

6. Weight training improves your muscular endurance.

7. Weight training will NOT develop big muscles on women...just toned muscles!

8. Weight training makes you strong. Strength gives you confidence and makes daily activities easier.

9. Weight training makes you less prone to low-back injuries.

10. Weight training decreases your resting blood pressure.

11. Weight training decreases your risk of developing adult onset diabetes.

12. Weight training decreases your gastrointestinal transit time, reducing your risk for developing colon cancer.

13. Weight training increases your blood level of HDL cholesterol (the good type).

14. Weight training improves your posture.

15. Weight training improves the functioning of your immune system.

16. Weight training lowers your resting heart rate, a sign of a more efficient heart.

17. Weight training improves your balance and coordination.

18. Weight training elevates your mood.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/149/105

Height: 5'2

hi there-
id have to say that joining the gym again is the best thing that i've done for myself. last time i joined a gym was in 2004 , at 24 hour fitness, but stopped going.
i just joined the gym last month, and i am LOVING it...i get so inspired to work out over there. it is kinda like a pick up place, but im not paying attention to it.
im just there to work out and leave.
its my third week and i feel like my day is off if i dont go on the elliptical.
but then again, everyone is different. x
for me, i tried working out at home. i bought the p90x, slim in 6, atkins books, tried nutrisystem, weight watchers, and nothing worked for me. but thats just me. good luck!
joyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote