100 lb. Club - What size did you start jogging/running at?

cfmama
07-04-2009, 02:05 PM
If you do that is!

I WANT to run. I love running and I have not been able to do it for a very long time. Can anyone recommend a running program for me? I've been winging it by running for as long as I can, slowing down and catching my breath and then doing it again but I don't want to do any damage to myself.

Help!

mkroyer
07-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Google couch to 5k program (c25K) or i think there is probably threads on this site for it as well...a LOT of people ( on this site esp) have had great success using the couch to 5k running program. It starts you off very slowly..running/walking a certain amount of time, and gradually, the amount of time you run increases as the time you walk between decreases....i think it is an 8 week program, and at the end, you will be fully prepared to run your first 5k! Good luck!

utgirl09
07-04-2009, 02:14 PM
I started a program called couch to 5k. It is a 9 week program designed to get you to be able to run 3 miles by the time to program is over. It is a slow progression to running, so it will not burn you out. Here is the website (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) You should try it. Many have had success. I am on week 7! If you have an ipod, you should get Robert ullrey's podcasts, which are free. He times the running and walking intervals for you. What ever you choose to do, good luck!

partypantalones
07-04-2009, 02:17 PM
have you heard of the couch to 5K (c25k) plan?

a TON of chickies work out with it! it's a 9 wk plan to get your butt moving starting by alternating 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking all the way to running a full 3 miles!

here's the link to the site where the program is published. all the info you need is on the web page, though (like everyone) it seems they offer some sort of paid program.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

grab a great sports bra, good running shoes, and take it slow!

partypantalones
07-04-2009, 02:18 PM
haha we're so silly!

PinkyPie
07-04-2009, 02:25 PM
yep I do C25K as well. I started around 210lbs. I'm on Week 7 now - it's taken me a little bit longer (I had to re-do week 5 and am struggling with the heat this week of the program). I know of other chicks here who have started bigger than me and are having success :) You could always try it - it feels pretty amazing to complete each workout :)

Ellie R
07-04-2009, 02:38 PM
I started running right from the start at 280 lbs, I was a bit concerned about the impact on joints, but it hasn't been a problem for me....
Good shoes help of course.

i can still only do 5 - 7 mins at a time , and then I alternate with a fast walk.

There are quite a lot of warnings about jogging when too heavy, but I think if you are losing, then it won't be a problem for too long...

PS you have lost a Helluva lot of weight since last September - WELL DONE, what plan are you on?

cfmama
07-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all of the advice ladies!!!!! I'm going to do this!!!!!!

What plan? my plan :) Lots of whole foods, fruit and veg, whole grain carbs, lean protein, healthy fats. Cut out the sugar and junk. Just went down to 1600 calories a day and calorie cycling again but have been losing on 17-1800 calories for the entire 129 lbs lost so far.

Ellie R
07-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Cool, just interested...Its great to see a really healthy diet work in progress!!!:congrat:

And enjoy the runnin'

Idealmuse
07-04-2009, 03:31 PM
I found the c25k a bit too progressive when I started running... I needed something with less intense jumps. I started at 230 last year and used this book http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Runners-Handbook-13-Week-Walk-Run/dp/1553650875/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246735708&sr=8-1

Which basically was like run 1 min walk 4, next week run 2 min walk 3... and so on and so on... (I would repeat these cycles for an hour although i think the book suggested less time) I just added in weeks as needed for example if 1 min is too much start with 30 seconds and walk 4:30. Every time I felt I needed a small increase I would just bump it up 30 seconds. I think it took me about 14-15 weeks total and I started in Jan 08.... by the time July/Aug rolled around I could run for 1.5 hours straight!

Just make sure you get GOOD shoes fitted properly. Important for most people but even more so for a heavy runner. Run on soft surfaces if you can.

TJFitnessDiva
07-04-2009, 03:43 PM
I started running when I was around 230lbs and I did it with C25K. I now run 5 miles almost every morning :)

Good luck!!

HeatherMcG
07-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I used c25K too! I started at 280 and have not had problems. Good luck! It is a wonderful program. I highly recommend using the podrunner podcasts that you can download for free off of the pod runner website http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html . Also visit : http://coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml for more info!

GirlyGirlSebas
07-04-2009, 05:37 PM
I found C25K to be a little too intense for me. I like this program...http://www.runstrong.org/13weekprogram.pdf

valpal23
07-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I had this magic number that I'd start runningwhen I was under 200 lbs.. but I'm learning to be content beyond the number on the scale.. and I started c25k last week actually. Im using podrunner as well... and just bought running shoes to use.

CollegeGirl
07-04-2009, 09:01 PM
This may be a silly question but where do you get these pod casts that yall are talking about and what exactly are they?? Thanks in advance :D

momof5k
07-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Another vote for the couch to 5k program. I am just starting week 7 and when I started I was probably 250.
There is a thread but starting another in this group woud be great!

The podcasts are on itunes and I also bought an app for my itouch for $2.99 that I love because I can use my own music but have the ipod time the intervals for me. It's great!

cestlavie22
07-04-2009, 09:59 PM
My advice is to start slow but more importantly, get fitted for running shoes. Go ta a running store and get the staff to help you. The store i go to spent about 45minutes with me finding the right shoes for me the first time i went. The other thing to know is that you will need new shoes sooner than someone who weighs less. I think the shoe investment is really worth it for the long run. I started running when i got below 200lbs and now am training for a 10mile run!

kiramira
07-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Google John "The Penguin" Bingham -- he started running at 43 years old, 70 lbs overweight and as a smoker. Today, he has run marathons on every continent, and has a number of books out for beginner runners. He is actually credited with starting the "second wave" of running (after the Jim Fixx era of the 70s). Bingham's theory is that no one is too out of shape or large to start, and that it is FINE to run for the sheer joy of it and not the speed. He routinely leads the 5hr marathon groups in Boston and NYC.

He has books out that guide you through running with specific run/walk programs and distances.

Good luck!

Kira

WildThings
07-04-2009, 11:37 PM
I am another Couch to 5K person. I started on the C25K a few months ago at the beginning of my weightloss and it was too much running for me. I did week 1 two weeks in a row and just still was struggling a lot with the intervals so I stopped. I did less intense exercises, walking, biking, pilates, a cardio dvd. Last week I decided to try the C25K again, and after several months of lighter exercise, the first week went really, really well and I am comfortable moving into the second week.

As for the podcast, I made my own with music I wanted. I use Audacity voice recorder (free download) and music from my iTunes. It took a bit of time but I like having my own music.

dcapulet
07-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I found C25K to be a little too intense for me. I like this program...http://www.runstrong.org/13weekprogram.pdf

This is wonderful! Thanks! To me personally, it seems a lot less daunting.. I've wanted to run for a really long time, but have always been a little scared. Maybe this will help :)

cfmama
07-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Thank you ALL for the great advice (and thanks Kira for the pm!) I am stoked to get started so tonight I have a LOT of reading to do.

finni
07-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Wow! Can't believe I'm even thinking of dusting off the running shoes! All of you guys are so inspiring!

s rosa
07-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Another vote for the couch to 5k program. I am just starting week 7 and when I started I was probably 250.
There is a thread but starting another in this group woud be great!

The podcasts are on itunes and I also bought an app for my itouch for $2.99 that I love because I can use my own music but have the ipod time the intervals for me. It's great!

What app is this? I'm planning on starting c25k here in a couple weeks, and I want to use my own music too. TIA!:D

TJFitnessDiva
07-05-2009, 08:33 PM
I have the C25K app and love it! you can read about the one I have at http://c25kapp.com :)

MugCanDoIt
07-07-2009, 01:57 PM
I started doing spurts of jogging at 273, and I still am doing it at 242. I cant go very far but it helps get my heart rate up while walking fast, doing spurts. Ive got to the point I dont care what people think when they see me jiggling and bouncing down the sidewalk. I just dont care.

lizzyINPA
07-07-2009, 03:05 PM
what about us big-boobed ladies :eek:

I'm a 46DD, and while I have a good bra, the girls still jiggle. :eek:

also, I hate to say it but I don't really know *how* to run.. i.e. how to breathe while running, how much to pick up feet, etc... I'd be interested in giving it a try, as I do know it's great for weight loss!!

Idealmuse
07-07-2009, 04:43 PM
"what about us big-boobed ladies"

You say you have a good bra but HOW good? Check out "enell" bras.

lizzyINPA
07-07-2009, 05:13 PM
"what about us big-boobed ladies"

You say you have a good bra but HOW good? Check out "enell" bras.

I will definitely check these out. I took a look at the site and there is a store nearby that carries them.

Pricey, but they look worth it.

txestella
07-07-2009, 05:51 PM
I jogged frequently at 275-290 range. Ran four 5k's at that weight.

I will never run without 2 bras, given my breasts are 42DDD. I generally wear my standard underwire with a tight raceer back sports bra over it. ffers excellent support.

txestella
07-07-2009, 05:52 PM
As for the podcast, I made my own with music I wanted. I use Audacity voice recorder (free download) and music from my iTunes. It took a bit of time but I like having my own music.

Love this idea! The music that accompanies those podcasts makes my head want to explode!

WildThings
07-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I would love an app for my iPod, but I'm a little behind and still have an OLD video. I'm hoping it survives another year at least because I so cannot afford a new one right now. Making my own playlist compilation with a voice recorder takes a little more time, but I can at least pick and choose my music.

I started week 2 today and struggled a lot, but did make it the entire time. I walked my dog 5 miles this morning so my legs already had a pretty good workout. I will have to take it a little easier on the walking Thursday and see if that helps.

TJFitnessDiva
07-07-2009, 10:39 PM
As far as big boobies....I actually bind myself esp if I'm in a 5k :lol: If not an option then try putting a soft cup regular bra and a sports bra on. I can not stand the enell bras, they are so uncomfortable on me!

Institches21
07-08-2009, 06:48 AM
I also Love the C25K program, from itunes, I was a bit worried at first, but I took it super slow, actually did week one for two weeks, and now on week two, it really is getting easier, never thought it would be possible for me, but amazing I can do it. Would love to change the music, thanks for the suggestion on how to do that, will check it out, on itunes.

MugCanDoIt
07-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I just dont think these would work for me....I like to listen to my own music, and that is extremely important to me. In fact, when my cd player walkman runs out of batteries, I head home. What I do is just when I feel like I can run, I run, then stop and get my breath and walk for a while. Then so on and so on. Its funny though, some days it is a breeze and other days it feels like my legs are so frigging heavy!

MugCanDoIt
07-08-2009, 01:54 PM
I would love an app for my iPod, but I'm a little behind and still have an OLD video. I'm hoping it survives another year at least because I so cannot afford a new one right now. Making my own playlist compilation with a voice recorder takes a little more time, but I can at least pick and choose my music.

I started week 2 today and struggled a lot, but did make it the entire time. I walked my dog 5 miles this morning so my legs already had a pretty good workout. I will have to take it a little easier on the walking Thursday and see if that helps.

Your dog must love you for that super long walk. I bet he slept good when he got back!:D

momof5k
07-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I just dont think these would work for me....I like to listen to my own music, and that is extremely important to me.
That's actually the beauty of the C25K app for ipods because you can make your own playlist of your own music and then the application just tells you when to walk and when to run in the foreground. It's billiant!

scarletmeshell
07-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Hmmm! I do believe it is the couch to 5kplan! hehe!

hokiegirl00
07-09-2009, 08:05 AM
I started the C25K last week and I am about to finish up week 2. I use the app from Itunes that lets you choose your own music (important for me, too!). So far I like it - I don't find myself staring at the time counting down each second, I just run until I'm told not to. We'll see how week 3 goes next week!