Old 07-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #1  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Computer geek's weight loss program

First, some background: I cannot "win" when it comes to checking progress by stepping on a scale. If I'm doing better than expected then I tend to back off on my effort and if worse than expected gives me an excuse to give up. So in the 19 years since I gained 100 lbs due to a job change, I have not really lost a significant amount. However for various reasons, had decided last April that it was time to remove that 100 lbs (nothing like rushing into it, eh?).

For nutritional reasons, I had already been tracking my eating on mypyramidtracker.gov and knew I could also track physical activity there and it would give me an energy balance. It includes a running energy balance average. I calculated that to lose 1 lb. every third day, I had to keep that average running at -1167. (I know, I've already lost the non-geeks, but for you data nerds like me I have to share this).

So I've been doing this since April 20 and according to my calculations, should be down 24 lbs. Of course to prove this plan works, I was going to have to step on actual scale. So this morning I weighed in at the gym and sure enough, I'm down 24 lbs!

I just had to share this with others who have found the scale a dangerous tool. I had kind of hesitated about posting this until I noticed that there some others out there that play with numbers and graphs.

It sounds like there are other tracking programs out there that will track this as well, I'm just most familiar with the mypyramid website so that's what I used. So if anyone wants to try this and needs help navigating through that site, let me know.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations ! I say if it works don't fix it !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #3  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

First.. I love how nerdy you are

I track my food on fitday.com -

I can't believe you did not step on a scale for that long! I do it twice a day - atleast! We have similar stats - our bmi is similar. Since I'm so short I like to speak about bmi. I don't weight as much as others here - but I'm 5 foot nothing.. so our bmi's are the same.. kwim? I started at the end of April - April 28th - I met my trainer and haven't looked back. Lost 30 lbs so far Have about 100 more?

Congrats on your weight loss!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #4  
Looking for a waist!

S/C/G: 263/248/163

Height: 5'9"

Congrats on finding something that works for you! I also love keeping track of things and gadgets so I got a Go Wear Fit armband. It's so awesome because it tracks how many calories you burn throughout the day so you make sure to have enough of a calorie deficit to meet your weekly weight loss goal. Right now I'm at a 1,000 calorie deficit (which is 2 lbs./week), but I am finding that I pretty active throughout the day even prior to workouts so my deficiencies have been even higher and my weight loss is even more! Lost 4 lbs. last week!
elle w 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:46 AM   #5  

Height: 5ft6'

Way to go! Maybe you and the scale can be friends afterall. Just the kind that only see each other once in a while. Like once a week or every two weeks lol.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote