Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #1  

Default Chandra's Healthy Eating

Hello everyone,

I joined this forum a while back, but rarely post. This is a great opportunity for me to get involved. Let me explain why.

I came across these threads recently due to my interest in home meal delivery. I lost 45 pounds a couple of years ago and had some medical issues, which have pretty much improved for the time being (female stuff). Anyway, I wasn't able to work out for a few weeks and work has gotten extremely busy. I eat healthy and cook healthy food, but things have gotten away from me. I am working lots of overtime and I am just tired. I still work out in the mornings, but I need a fix to the food problem right now. I don't want to gain any weight back (I have already gained about 4 or 5 pounds). I don't know when work will calm down, but that isn't likely to happen any time soon. I don't want to spend what little "off" time I have cooking, etc. I want to spend it with my husband.

Recently, I saw an ad for a meal delivery service called Chandra's Healthy Eating in our newspaper. I checked it out online and the prices are just outstanding. I also looked at some other ones as well, but this is something that my husband is interested in doing as well, so it would be incredibly expensive if both of us are doing it at the same time. Not the case with this company. I can't believe how inexpensive they are. I can't find much in the way of reviews, etc. I don't know if it is new or just not well known yet. This is why I am here. While I can't find anything in any of the threads, I thought I might make a pretty good guinea pig. I ordered it, but my first delivery isn't until July 6th. I thought I would try it and report back to you all, since many people are concerned with finances right now. Also, someone else here might want to investigate and maybe they can try it too.

The other thing I liked was that if you purchase their meals and sign up for auto delivery, shipping is free and you get a free week of food. Don't ask me how they can afford to do this, but I am not going to complain. I am obligated for 2 months. If I don't like it that much, I will cancel and try something else a couple of months down the road.

Apparently, everything is provided, except drinks. I don't drink milk. I have a slight intestinal problem. Dairy in small amounts seems to be okay, but too much and my tummy isn't happy. I'm not quite sure it is going to be enough protein, but I always eat 2 snacks and I can make sure they are high protein snacks.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with this company, I would love to hear about. If not, then I will be the first to report and share my experience with all of you here. Who knows, if it turns out to be pretty good, we can give them some new business.

Gin
fchsfootballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

What is their maintenance plan? How many calories are in their foods? Is it all frozen? What ingredients do they use? Are you able to choose your own things or is it set menu?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:31 AM   #3  

From what I understand, it is a set menu. They have a 1200, 1500 and 2000calorie plan. It is supposed to be low fat and low sodium and it is fresh foods. They deliver twice per week. They have a 7-day and a 5-day plan. You can also choose just to do 7 days of dinners. Also, I think they have a 12-week menu, so you wont eat the same exact thing for 12 weeks. You have to order a month at a time. You can't just do one week. My guess is that when and if they are a larger company, they may be able to offer other packages, etc. I don't know. I don't remember reading anything about a maintenance plan, though. I think that is pretty much an individual thing. I should have shared the web site so that people can look at it. Chandrashealthyeating dot com. I am sure you will get more questions answered there. While I would like to take off 10 more pounds, I really want to keep from gaining weight while my life is so crazy. It will be nice not to have to think about what I am making for any particular meal.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #4  

Sorry, double post!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 07-02-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #5  

Without a maintenance plan I just wonder how anyone can sustain what they offer once you quit ordering meals. Btw, by fresh do you mean it comes ready to eat? Like, there are salads and fresh fruits and things?

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 07-02-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #6  

Yes. There are fresh fruits, etc. They have menus on their web page. I will keep you posted after I have received my first order and tried the food. We will see how things go..... I guess for me, I don't really require a maintenance program. When I lost weight, I maintained very well until I got "ill" and wasn't able to stay active or spend much time in the kitchen. There might be something on the website about maintenance. I just might not have seen it. I really don't have all the answers about this service. I just needed a little extra help for now with my cooking, etc. It's worth checking out.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #7  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

I love the idea - with my husband working out of town, I'm seriously considering this. Gotta run the numbers, but I think it would work for me and my son money-wise. I wouldn't have the savings I normally do, but . . . When I lost weight in my 20's it was on NutriSystem - the whole "don't have to think about the food" thing works for me. And I maintained for 5 years 'til my life changed on several fronts all at once.

Can you confirm that it comes with the grapes, fresh veggies, etc.? Well, I guess I could email them as well. Thanks for the info.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #8  

They aren't really good about answering e-mails, but you can call them. I can tell you that when I called, they assured me that it comes with all the food, even the fruits and veggies and that all you need to provide is the drinks. Milk, juice or water. I ordered it for my husband and son as well. They will add snacks and such. My son is home from college for summer break and I want to make sure he gets a hot meal too. Honestly, I am finding my grocery bill just crazy these days, so this may actually save me a few bucks. We will see. I know nothing of customer service, delivery, quality of the food or anything yet. I hope it is good, though, because for the price it would be a great deal.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #9  
klc

fchs - I went out to their site...wow! The menu looks really tasty, and you're right, the price is amazing. Good luck, and keep us posted. I'll be interested in hearing how the food, shipping, customer service is.

Last edited by klc; 07-03-2009 at 10:46 AM.
klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #10  

Update. I am still waiting for the shipment. Apparently I was supposed to get my first shipment on the 14th, even though that isn't what I was told. I will let you know what I think of the food, but this little mishap doesn't particularly thrill me.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #11  

Default Chandra's healthy eating

Hi.. I just joined and wanted to respond to your thread. I had also looked all over the internet for reviews of Chandras healthy living and couldn't find any. I decided to call them and they told me I had to pay for the first two months together and then after I could purchase one month at a time if I wanted to continue. There are no refunds, so if you don't like the food you are out the money. I decided to give it a try because it is the most inexpensive delivery service around. I ordered on the 7th of July and they told me I wouldnt receive my first shipment till July 28th. It seemed a little far off, but she said it was because of when they receive their food shipments. They did however take the money out of my checking account already. I will also keep you updated and give a food review when I receive my order.
2furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2furbabies View Post
Hi.. I just joined and wanted to respond to your thread. I had also looked all over the internet for reviews of Chandras healthy living and couldn't find any. I decided to call them and they told me I had to pay for the first two months together and then after I could purchase one month at a time if I wanted to continue. There are no refunds, so if you don't like the food you are out the money. I decided to give it a try because it is the most inexpensive delivery service around. I ordered on the 7th of July and they told me I wouldnt receive my first shipment till July 28th. It seemed a little far off, but she said it was because of when they receive their food shipments. They did however take the money out of my checking account already. I will also keep you updated and give a food review when I receive my order.
Awesome. I'm so glad I am not doing this alone.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #13  
Southside White Sox Fan

Any review yet? I'm very interested in your thoughts. I'm doing JC right now but am very tired of the food. I've been on program since the end of January.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie View Post
Any review yet? I'm very interested in your thoughts. I'm doing JC right now but am very tired of the food. I've been on program since the end of January.
I wont get my first shipment until next Tuesday, so not yet.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #15  

Well, I got my shipment today. I have only eaten one meal so far and I am not all that happy. Nearly everything was intact. Two of my small veggie containers came open. I ordered for 3 people and I received meals for 3 days, 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 3 dinners. Dinner was just okay. They advertise low sodium meals, but my dinner was Grilled Ginger Turkey and the turkey was processed and quite salty. That is the only meal I have had so far, so I can't give a full picture. I was disappointed, though, that I didn't get a menu at all. All the meals were grouped by dinners, lunches and breakfasts, but I have no idea what I was supposed to eat on what night and how many calories it had. I haven't really ordered meal delivery service before, so I don't know what most of the companies do. I really would like to know how many calories, fat, protein, carbs I am eating. I would also like to know how much sodium is in the food considering they advertise their food on the website as being "low sodium". So far, I am quite disappointed with them. I will keep you posted about the flavor of the food, though.