100 lb. Club - JULY NSV's

View Full Version : JULY NSV's

Sandi
07-01-2009, 06:35 AM
For those of you unfamiliar with the term, NSV stands for Non Scale Victory. This is where we share our progress on matters that don't necessarily relate to the actual number on the scale. Such as making a healthier choice, resisting temptation, receiving a compliment (we're big on those), fitting into clothing better, something in the fitness area and so on and so on. So let's start filling it up!

thistoo
07-02-2009, 04:12 PM
First NSV of the month, and it's pretty silly, but that's okay.

Today I was headed over to Starbucks on my lunch break for an iced Americano (black espresso, negligible calories!) and the UPS guy turned onto the street just as I stepped out into it. I ran to get out of his way and instead of thinking, "God, he's looking at my fat jiggle", I thought, "Wow, this new shirt really fits well!"

It's a medium 'girl cut', so that's kind of a big deal. But better still was not being self-conscious about running on a downtown street during the lunch hour when everyone's out wandering around.

matt_H
07-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Yesterday was very much a social day and I could have easily overindulged and didn't. At the bar that evening, I just had two "captain and diets" and was the first one out of our group of 10 to leave the bar. I also got plenty of walking in.

I'm feeling good that I made good choices!

DCHound
07-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I bought a new pair of jeans back this spring, size 16. I was a 22 at the time. 16 misses, not 16W. Well, yesterday I wore them for the first time. And they looked GREAT. I have to say, I really looked outstanding and just like a large normal-sized person, not like an obese person.

knitsforfive
07-04-2009, 11:28 PM
I have a huge one from today. We had a building BBQ and then went down to the beach to watch fireworks. Our tradition is to bring ice cream sundaes to the beach for the fireworks. This year, not only did I stay 100% on plan at the BBQ, but I had a fruit salad INSTEAD of an ice cream sundae AND...wait...here''s the kicker -- I DID NOT FEEL DEPRIVED!!!!

Arctic Mama
07-05-2009, 04:12 AM
I went to buy new jeans today, as my old ones were falling off. I bought the previous pair in October and they were an unattractively tight 22 (I should have bought a 24 but got them online and didn't want to return them).

Imagine my surprise when buying my jeans today (flattering Liz and Co.) when I could fit comfortably into a 20 and a little tightly in an 18! I've lost around 25 pounds and can't really see it, but the pants don't lie.

Though the 18s would button, the 20s were much more flattering, so I bought two pair in different washes. I am determined to keep losing (and need to do a little better on my food) and am aiming for my next pair to be size 16!

foxxy511
07-05-2009, 07:40 AM
I have a 4th of July NSV! I got off work early yesterday, so I was able to make it to the grill-out my family was having at home. Previously, I had just asked my Dad to make me some food and set it aside (baked salmon and some steamed veggies and potatoes) and I'd eat it when I got home late. I had pointed it all out and had my plan.

Well, since I got home early, I was there for all the salads and h'or doeurves that I would have missed had I been at work. They looked yummy...and they were healthy (grape tomato and avocado salad, grilled peaches, etc.) so I had some...along with some unplanned rice/carrot/raisin mix and a handful of peanut M&Ms for dessert. Normally, this would have been enough to send me into a binge. I thought I'd "ruined" the day, because certainly I'd eaten more than my points allowance.

But I didn't. I didn't binge. I thought, "You had a high-calorie, still mostly healthy dinner...that is no reason to throw yourself down the proverbial flight of stairs." So I stopped after my small handful of M&Ms, and I DID NOT eat any of the cookies/other junk that are constantly on display in my house. I drank water. I watched awesome fireworks. I felt good about myself when I went to bed. I certainly would not have felt good about myself had I binged. And, even better, I can continue my binge-free days count (27!)

(And I know this is supposed to be a Non-Scale thread, but I have to throw this in here...I was down 1lb this morning! I was always skeptic of calorie-cycling, thinking high-calorie days would throw me off....now I might have to rethink that!)

DCHound
07-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Today, at Costco, I took a giant leap of faith and bought a pair of size 14 jeans.

I believe the last time I fit into a pair of size 14 jeans I was in the 5th grade.

I brought them home and held them up against my size 16 Costco jeans I bought early early spring...unsure as to whether they fit. (I wore them for the first time on Friday.) They are only about 1" smaller on each side when you stretch both pairs out.

Um, I think they might fit before September 1st... these aren't Lane Bryant jeans, or 14Ws....they are Gloria Vanderbilt 14 average.

I'm kinda scared...

thistoo
07-08-2009, 10:01 AM
My NSV for today is that I'm wearing size 12 jeans. They are snug, but they're wearable. This is the first time in my recollection that I've fit into size 12 anything, and it's especially exciting because TOM is due to start tomorrow.

time2lose
07-08-2009, 11:23 AM
June was a rough month for me in multiple ways. On the weight front, it was the first month that I did not lose my 5 pound minimal goal that I have set in mind. Last night I took my measurements. I may not have lost the 5 pounds but I lost 2 inches from my waist. That made me feel better about June!

msim
07-08-2009, 11:47 AM
My NSV for July is seeing the little pop of muscles emerging from underneath the fat.

I can see a little bicep as well as feel a hardening in my tricep. Today I am wearing heels and am starting to see definition in my calf!

I bought a pair of irregular Levis--marked size 16 for $9.99. For 2 months I have tried to wiggle them on. Last night I was able to finally pull them up over my hips--can't zip or button them yet, that victory will come soon though!

girlonfire
07-10-2009, 02:33 AM
Today, my parents decided to get pizza for dinner. And not just any pizza, my favorite veggie pizza from American Dream(for the PACNW people, it's GREAT). But I decided not to eat too much, so for dinner today I had a shrimp salad, but since deprivation leads to diet downfalls I had half a slice of pizza. And stopped at that.

All that remains is to resist the leftovers...oh boy

time2lose
07-10-2009, 08:53 AM
This spring I bought a shirt that was tight and I had to wear it with a shell underneath. Around the first of June I could button the shirt and stopped wearing the shell with it. I put it on this morning and it is loose!

This is very encouraging to me because I am not seeing the scale move very much.

rochemist
07-10-2009, 09:25 AM
I put on a favorite nightie from the year before (for whatever reason I haven't worn it since October) and its huge! What use to cling, bags on me, and it's down to my knees (I have skirts that are shorter ;) )

Secondly my fella told me my shirt was getting too big for me. He said, "That top use to cling your curves nicely, now it kinda hangs." Someone else noticed, someone that sees me ALMOST every day :D

quiffy
07-11-2009, 10:55 AM
this is about my scales - I have one of those scales that tells you the world about yourself. When I first started using it something it measured was outside it's range so I had to lie about my height to use it. This past week, I wanted to see if I had changed enough to use my actual profile and I have. Which is great because many of the recordings were off because of my taller entry.

Jennelle
07-15-2009, 12:37 AM
I put on a t-shirt this afternoon and looked in the mirror and thought, "Wow. You look ridiculous! This shirt is much too big for you!" and I went and changed into a smaller one. :) Gone are the days of hiding under shapeless XXL t-shirts!

momof5k
07-15-2009, 01:42 AM
I bought a size 16 pair of capris today!! When I began this journey, most of my pants were 22 with the odd 20 thrown in. Today, my 20's were literally falling off and I had to walk with one hand ion my pocket to hold them up so I went to the nearest shop and picked up a few sizes of pants.

The 16's fit! There isn't very much extra room but they fit well and I hope to rectify that soon enough.

16!! Yahoo!!

Windchime
07-15-2009, 01:44 AM
16!! Yahoo!!

Excellent, momof5k!!! Congratulations! You are melting away!

Lyn2007
07-15-2009, 01:52 AM
I love this thread! It's so inspiring!

momof5k
07-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Excellent, momof5k!!! Congratulations! You are melting away!

scarletmeshell
07-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Two mornings ago, I woke up freezing, which was odd because it was later 100 degrees in the afternoon. I got up and threw on some socks a long sleeve t shirt and sweats. I went inot the bathroom and raised my arms to pin up my hair, and my pants fell down all the way to the floor! whoo hoo!

WhitePicketFences
07-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Yesterday I stopped in at a thrift store on a whim, and scored. I ended up buying:
- a size 12 jean skirt
-a silky, cream-colored skirt that didn't have a size on it, and
-a size 14 pair of jeans.

Brand names, regular sizes. Total cost: $10. Gave me such a high. I was telling my husband that it was ... almost fun? Previously clothes shopping destroyed me. Trauma for the whole week, and I say that lightly but I'm not really kidding.

LisaF
07-16-2009, 05:02 PM
I bought women's sneakers! For so many years my feet have been too wide to fit in women's sneakers, and I've been wearing extra-wide men's sneakers. But not any more! The sneakers I bought are still wide width, but they're women's wides.

It's such a little thing, but it's making me strangely happy.

Lisa

SunshineCA
07-16-2009, 05:18 PM
I bought new clothes yesterday that were smaller than the ones I normally wear. There were even clothes I tried on that were too big. :cp: At my amazement of this my daughter said, "Mommy, that just means you're no longer Plus-Size." :) I don't know about all that but I'll take it. :)

ubergirl
07-17-2009, 12:54 PM
A couple of days ago, I was depressed that I had nothing to add to this thread, but today, I noticed that my one pair of 26-28 capris were really loose...

I was afraid to try on my 24s-- the last time I put them on, they were tight enough that I had to suck in to zip...

Today, they fit just fine. So I dared to try some of my 3x shirts that had been refusing to button over my tummy. They buttoned!

On to the 22s...

quiffy
07-17-2009, 02:09 PM
I jogged nonstop for 1 mile. At slow pace of 16 min mile, but hey nonstop. Whoot! Me :)

SunshineCA
07-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I came home to eat lunch after my assignment today instead of stopping at Mc Donalds. :)

2behealthy
07-18-2009, 02:58 PM
I have two NSV's today, which is wonderful casue for the last 2 weeks the scale has been stuck!

First- my driver's liscense now LIES- I am not 250 I am 230!!!! Whoo hooo

Second, I was getting a slip out of my drawer and I saw a pair of thermals that my Mother sent last winter. They are size XL and did not fit by any means last winter. I saved them cause of that wierd unwritten law that says there has to be a long time before you give away something that someone just gave you- LOL. Anyhow, they fit and not in any way tight!!!

These 2 things really made me happy today! So much so that I skipped the Big Mac I was plannig while my children where away with a friend!

Lyn2007
07-19-2009, 11:39 AM
I went shopping for new PJ's the other day. The ones I liked did not come in 2XL which is what I am "used to" buying (it's stuck in my head). They only had XL. I knew the top would fit but the bottom would be ridiculously tight but I'd save them for later... THEY FIT NOW! And nicely!

WildThings
07-19-2009, 03:12 PM
I made a New York style pineapple cheesecake last night and have a Snickers cheesecake in the oven now. The entire process involved crushing graham crackers, Oreos, chopping Snickers bars, melting chocolate, not to mention the batter itself. I did not even so much as taste any of it. They will both be retired to the freezer by the end of the day were they will stay until next weekend when I need them for a family function.

msim
07-19-2009, 06:53 PM
My NSV for July is seeing the little pop of muscles emerging from underneath the fat.

I can see a little bicep as well as feel a hardening in my tricep. Today I am wearing heels and am starting to see definition in my calf!

I bought a pair of irregular Levis--marked size 16 for $9.99. For 2 months I have tried to wiggle them on. Last night I was able to finally pull them up over my hips--can't zip or button them yet, that victory will come soon though!

I got these jeans locked and loaded! I also picked through clearance racks yesterday and got a pair of size 14 jeans--they fit!, a pair of size large linen pants--plain large no x or xx--they fit!

bcort
07-19-2009, 07:27 PM
My NSV isn't dramatic, but I walked today for the first time in about a month. I had sprained my ankle last fall, & also had pain in my heel whenever I exercised (convenient excuse), but today I walked at a good workout pace, & neither my ankle or heel hurt!! I started my exercise program today!

SunshineCA
07-19-2009, 08:19 PM
I made a New York style pineapple cheesecake last night and have a Snickers cheesecake in the oven now. The entire process involved crushing graham crackers, Oreos, chopping Snickers bars, melting chocolate, not to mention the batter itself. I did not even so much as taste any of it. They will both be retired to the freezer by the end of the day were they will stay until next weekend when I need them for a family function.

Wow!! Awesome willpower!! :bravo:

SunshineCA
07-19-2009, 08:20 PM
My NSV isn't dramatic, but I walked today for the first time in about a month. I had sprained my ankle last fall, & also had pain in my heel whenever I exercised (convenient excuse), but today I walked at a good workout pace, & neither my ankle or heel hurt!! I started my exercise program today!

Every little bit counts! :)

Elladorine
07-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Well, I've gone through my first week of eating right with only one slip-up, which was only because I wasn't prepared. Hopefully that won't happen again any time soon. ;)

cfmama
07-20-2009, 12:38 AM
I have collarbones.

That is all ;)

I HAVE COLLARBONES!!!!!!

I'll stop now ;)

Jennelle
07-20-2009, 09:25 AM
CFMama, that's awesome! :)

I can't remember where I read it...a woman had lost a bunch of weight and felt a hard mass on her side. She was scared to death it was cancer and finally, about a week after she first felt it, had her husband look at it. His reply? "Honey, that's your hipbone!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

dcapulet
07-20-2009, 09:27 AM
my bras are no longer so tight that they leave painful, deep red marks along my sides. :)

dcapulet
07-20-2009, 09:28 AM

I have chronic foot pain too; I think that is a very big deal to be even a little pain free!!! congrats to you! :)

beautifulone
07-20-2009, 02:54 PM
:woohoo: these are all great!!

About 6 months ago, I began exercising 3 times a week. Today, I am still doing that. I've been at the gym 3 times a week almost every week (bar a few scheduling changes) for 6 months!!! This is the first time I have been consistently physically active in my life! I am so excited for 12 months!!! I want to keep it up till then and beyond. I want to be a lifer when it comes to exercise :)

My second NSV: there is a dress hanging in my closet that I bought 2 years ago, which I have never worn because it has been just a wee-bit too tight (and later, waaaaay too tight) on me. Every so often I try it on to see how it fits. This morning, I went to zip it up, and it zipped up so effortlessly (in the back), I didn't even have to think about what I was doing! Then I realized how comfortably I could do that and thought - "oh my gosh!!". In a week or two, it will absolutely be perfect to wear out! :D

Jennelle
07-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Such great NSVs this month!

I decided to wear a skirt to church on Sunday. I bought it last summer. It's a 2X and, last summer, I had to wear it almost under my boobs in order to be able to zip it. When I put it on before church Sunday, it was nearly falling off my hips! I pulled it up to where I had to wear it last summer and I could stick my entire arm down the front.

I got a lot of compliments on how nice I looked. One woman who hadn't seen me in a while said I looked younger and asked me for my secret potion! :lol:

lottie63
07-21-2009, 03:41 PM
I saw my mom for the first time since xmas. She was so happy that I"d lost weight, she said my boobs looked a little smaller, which is great! :D

I also wore this dress to a wedding tha ti"d worn before and it gave me "pudge" but now....dun dun dun! NO PUDGE! Also, the bust part was far roomier than when I wore it 34 lbs ago. :)

Good thing the dress is simple and will be easy to alter! :D

SunshineCA
07-21-2009, 03:42 PM
A friend of mine came by yesterday and said he noticed I lost weight. He thought I had on a new outfit but it wasn't, it just fits and looks better.

Elladorine
07-21-2009, 04:11 PM
I noticed today that I actually have energy!

Maybe this whole eating right thing is starting to pay off. ;)

SunshineCA
07-21-2009, 08:45 PM
My DD came in my room earlier and said, "Mom your neck is skinny again!". I said, "So, are you trying to say it was fat before?". She says, "Well, ummmmm, yeah!" :lol: Teenagers! Gotta love 'em! ;)

WildThings
07-21-2009, 09:47 PM
I ROCKED the first night of the 4th week on the C25K program! I was really, really worried about the 3 five minute runs, but I had myself worried for no reason.

weightlossxprt
07-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Yesterday, I turned down the opportunity of eating pizza (a whole lot of it I might mention) I didn't lose any weight but the "inner power" I felt of resisting my favorite "calorie laden" food was worth the pain :)

Jennelle
07-21-2009, 11:54 PM
I got another, "You've lost weight!" compliment tonight! I swear, they're so few and far between that I sometimes wonder if I'm hallucinating the numbers on the scale! :lol:

SunshineCA
07-22-2009, 02:06 AM
2 text messages from my friend I mentioned above:

~ "I've never seen u so committed to your SB diet program. I gotta give u props!"

~ "Amen, and it's already showing results!"

I was floored but very pleased! :D

AbbySinthe
07-22-2009, 08:14 AM
I have a few strapless dresses that I bought last spring for my sister's wedding shower, and had planned on wearing last summer. But by then, they were soo tight I was uncomfortable. :( Now, not only do I fit in them, but there's a little room to spare. I love shopping in my own closet... :)

ubergirl
07-22-2009, 11:48 AM
zipped up my 22s... tightish, but they fit!

stayed on plan during an incredibly stressful 16 hour work day...

rochemist
07-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Today's NSV:

1. I reached for and then decided against the delish cake balls in my fridge
2. I left my too fattening breakfast (1/2 of it left) at the restaurant
3. I rode my bike for 45 min to places unknown, I found the beach :)

CLCSC145
07-23-2009, 02:19 PM
I thought this was a funny one:

When I walk, my toes used to kind of point out a bit like a duck. I was walking through my house yesterday, looking down and I noticed my toes now face straight ahead when I walk. No more duck waddling! And no wonder my knees hurt before...

I've also found that all my clothes are longer now that I'm narrower. My sleeves are longer, shirts are longer, pants are longer. It's looking like I borrowed a taller friend's wardrobe.

foxxy511
07-23-2009, 09:44 PM
I ran for a full mile today! I'll go on the treadmill for an hour, varying my speed between 4 mph and 6 mph. Usually I'll run for 5 minutes at a time at 6 mph, but today towards the end of the 5 minutes, I was like "I don't feel like dying, I can totally keep going"....and I did! So, I ran for a full mile for the first time in my life.

Jennelle
07-26-2009, 10:56 AM
I was standing in front of my closet looking for something to wear to church, flipping through the clothes going, "too big...nope, too big...too big..."

:lol:

ubergirl
07-26-2009, 11:43 AM
I added an extra ten minutes to my lap swim just cuz I could.

Liliann
07-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Many neighbors says I have great looking eyes!

MidwestMom
07-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Thank you everyone reading this thread helped me out this morning was feeling kind of down about the whole diet and excercise you know one of those ugh why am I doing this moments... then reading this thread I remembered it's not always the day to day grind that matters.. It's all the victories along the way...

my NSV for this week... I was making dinner for my family dreading another hour long fight with the kids about green veggies and what not and turned my back for a moment to talk to my husband while my toddler was Mashing potatoes/cauliflour.... well she when i glanced back she'd added about half the brocolli I'd made to the mix... ... well I made the best of it tossed it all in the blender and hoped for the best... it came out green...

My SONS loved it... I even forgot to add any butter to it because I'd been so flustered... they asked what I did to make the mashed taters so awsome...

Dare I tell them? hehe my little victory dinner won't be as stressfull with one less thing to fight over YAY GREENS

MidwestMom
07-26-2009, 12:48 PM
I wonder if that would work with carrots?

JustSharing83
07-26-2009, 05:02 PM
I bought my husband a griddle for Christmas and we used to make breakfast together with it quite often, especially on weekends. Because the kind of fried foods that come from with don't fit into our diet, we've cut way back and have fruit or low calorie cereal for breakfast. However, once a month we make breakfast together on his beloved griddle. Today was one of those days. We had pancakes, much less batter and light syrup were used, but it still made us 2 medium sized pancakes each...

I could only eat one! I was allowing the indulgence and my body was just like "No thanks!" The first few bites were great, but then it just felt heavy and I didn't even want the rest. Hubby ate all of his but complained of an upset stomach after.

The victories I found in this is that our bodies don't seem to be all that interested in junk anymore and that I ate a fraction of what I would have had in the past and was completely satisfied for several hours. It's nice to feel kind of good about an indulgence meal, lol.

CLCSC145
07-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I went to lunch with some (thin) friends yesterday. First off getting out of the house to do something social is more of a Non-Scale Miracle than a Victory for me ;).

One of my friends suggested Mexican food, which I love but really doubted I could control. She threw out Greek food and I latched on to that immediately. I had chicken kabobs and grilled veggies and felt good about my choice (better than tacos or a burrito or something). Then both of them wanted to go to Coldstone for ice cream. I declined and didn't really feel deprived when I saw them eating their gooey chocolate ice cream and I adore ice cream. All in all, I felt like it was a good day for eating that could have been so much worse if I hadn't made a few conscious choices to stay in control.

Oh yeah, and we had a great time!

rochemist
07-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Biked 30+ miles on Saturday
My pants are longer (even without the scale moving)

scarletmeshell
07-27-2009, 01:21 PM
This does involve a scale, but not weight. I work for a Dr. We have scales that I used every day. I used to put the numbers back to 0 afterwards, so no one would see those big numbers, and think it was me. Now I just leave it. I am not ashamed anymore.

ronica62
07-27-2009, 02:09 PM
I finally broke out of the 230s after a month long plateau and I fit in my size 18 jeans that had been in my closet for over two years!! :D

ubergirl
07-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Dared to try on my brown jeans. They're tight, but they zip.

I told my skinny hairdresser that I was on a diet and we chatted exercise. Usually I'd be too shy and fat-feeling to do that.

SunshineCA
07-28-2009, 02:34 AM
One of my friends picked up my 30 Day Shred DVD for me because he was closer to the store than I was when the order came in. Anyway, out of the blue he says, "Boy! I can really see it! You're shrinking!" :lol:

DCHound
07-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Today, I wore to work, for the very first time, my pair of regular (not Lane Bryant) size 16 jeans...Gloria Vanderbilt...not a plus size, not a 16W. 16 misses. No muffin top. Butt looks great. They look great. Woo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

foxxy511
07-29-2009, 06:52 PM
I ate at a Mexican restaurant tonight and did not leave feeling stuffed and bloated because...oh my goodness...I did not overeat! I had approx. 5 chips from the chips/salsa bowl and got a mini fajita burrito with chicken and the cheese sauce on the side. I ended up only having about a teaspoon of the cheese sauce (it was too sweet) and didn't even eat all of the wrap...I pushed it aside to get to the yummy chicken and fajita veggies inside! I'm really proud of my choices!

salsa chip
07-29-2009, 06:56 PM
I was having a meal at the airport and actually STOPPED EATING once I felt full. Which entailed leaving food on my plate (something that's kind of not done in my mind!). I still can't quite believe I did that!

beautifulone
07-30-2009, 02:50 AM
These are all SO great!! Way to go everyone :carrot:! I love reading them :D

Jennelle
07-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Wooooooooo Ronica! :bravo: I got stuck in the 230s for six weeks, so I know what an accomplishment that plateau bust was!

And Salsa Chip...to not finish a meal at the airport - where it probably cost you a bazillion dollars - is huge! :cp: