Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #1  
More than halfway to 100!

S/C/G: 273/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Default Anyone training for a half marathon?

Hey chicks--

I am new to the exercise portion of the site, and I'm training for my first half marathon! I am doing long runs with a training group (CARA- Chicago Area Runners Association), and shorter runs on my own-- I try to stay at an 11:30/mile pace in all runs.

I am wondering if anyone on here has done a half marathon before, and can give me any tips as I enter this last month of training, looking forward to race day on August 2! (It's the Chicago Rock and Roll Half Marathon.)

Thanks in advance!
Rose
IrishRose25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Hey Rose, yes there are several veteran half marathoners on here. Come on over to the July running thread! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175628

Last edited by ennay; 06-30-2009 at 11:57 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

Yay! Good for you. I have not ran a half marathon before, so I really don't have any tips. I am going to run my first one next march though! I won't start training with a runners group until November. I have became obsessed with http://runnersworld.com They have some great articles and tips on running your first of any race. I have been using it for my first 5k coming up, but they have several articles relating to half marathons. Good luck!
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #4  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I haven't yet, but want to for this spring... also in Chicago.

The rock-n-roll one looks fun though!

Best of luck.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on your decision to run a half!! I've run several of them, and let me say, youre gonna have a blast!!
The absolute BEST advice i can give on a race of this distance, is to NOT do ANYTHING different the day before?day of the race..i know it sounds like common sense, but really, even something as little as wearing a new pair of underwear, or eating a big pasta dinner the nite before ( if your body is not used to it,) can make for a MISERABLE run!!!! Practice everything you are going to do at the half on your long runs....preactice what you will wear, what you will eat the nite before/morning of, etc...to make sure your routine will work for YOU the day of the race....If possible, you might want to consider joining up with a "pace" team durig the race, that will help you maintain your goal pace the entire time, which prevents you from going out to hard/too fast (which will ALSO make the race miserable)--they usually carry balloons and signs with projected finishing times, or pace/mile. ALso, if its even ALMOST time for new shoes, get them now.....the race is only a onth away, so aat this point, you will have plenty of time to break them in....Invest in bodyglide if you are planning on running in shorts or tank top (even if you dont normally chafe, over 13 miles, youd be suprised where it can suddenly start happening).. Also, dont worry if your longest training run is only gonig to be 10-12 miles..you will have NO problem covering the rest of the distance whatsoever, during the race--adrenaline, excitement and all. Find out which aid stations will be providing energy gels (if at all), so you will know ahead of time if you need to bring more, or so you can practice consuming one where they will be available in the race....Thats all for now, so good luck, and remember this first half is only about finishing, it doesnt matter what your time is, so try to have FUN!!! Good luck, let us know how it goes!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Irishrose - I too am training for HM. The VA Beach Rock n ROll HM on Sept 2. I am uber excited. I have no tips (but don't worry I think mkroyer is an expert) but I have training stories...lol. And as Ennay said please do join us in the July Runners thread.

mkroyer - Awesome Advice. Thank you as I will put that advice to use as well.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #7  

Location: First star to the right and straight on til morning

S/C/G: 260/260/150

Height: 5'8"

Hello Girls! I've never been a runner but would like to start by running a 5k this year. Around September I think it is. Now that I'm a non smoker I think this is possible.

Last edited by annie96; 07-01-2009 at 11:28 AM.
annie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

annie96 - That is great. Now just join in the runners thread. You will get lots of support there.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #9  
Sensewear and WW

S/C/G: 230/195.2/164

Height: 5'9"

Have fun at the Rock n Roll marathon. My husband just did the Seattle one last weekend and had a blast!! Good luck.
nellonello is offline   Reply With Quote