LA Weight Loss - The Zone Diet

View Full Version : The Zone Diet

Ready2BThinna
06-30-2009, 05:44 PM
I did a forum search but wasn't able to find anything re: The Zone Diet (Barry Sears).

Does anyone follow that plan? Please redirect me if there is a thread/posts I''ve missed.

Thanks! :carrot:

Momofsteel
06-30-2009, 06:04 PM
I haven't seen it in a long long time. I did just read an article in Woman's World (I need to find one of those lines in the supermarket without magazines - I can walk by the candy) that had a version created by a nutritionist from an Australian University. It was very simplified, but not customized by person, and did rely on a lot of cottage cheese which is not a favorite of mine.

Do you follow the Zone? What has been your experience?

Ready2BThinna
06-30-2009, 06:15 PM
MoS,
It was recommended to me by a trainer at the gym. I followed it for almost a week and did not experience hunger. I felt uncertain of how it works, no matter how often I re-read in the book about ratios :(

Momofsteel
07-01-2009, 07:54 AM
I think there is a small paperback "quick start" guide to the zone called "A Week in the Zone". I'll bet you can pick it up very cheaply used via Amazon.

The article I read has you eating 35% of your calories from protein, 35% from carbs and 30% from fat. There are 3 meals, 2 snacks. Each meal is 5 oz protein, 1/2 cup good carbs, 1 cup non-starch vegetables and 2 tsp fat.

Sample day:
Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs, 2 tbs low-fat cheese, 1 slice whole wheat toast, 1 tsp margarine.
Lunch - 6 oz tuna, 1 tbs ff mayo, 1tbs celery, 5 whole wheat crackers, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 cup cucumber.
Dinner - 5 oz chicken breast grilled, 1/2 cup whole grain pasta, 1tsp olive oil, 1 tbs parmesan cheese, 1 cup steamed green beans
Snacks - 1 tbs pb and 1/2 pear; 100 calorie almond pack and 1 apple

I am going to compare it to South Beach and try one next week. I have Jillian Michael's Winnning at Losing but there are no real menu plans to follow so its a little hard. Overall, I am trying to eat more veggies/fruits and less processed items.

Hope this helps. Sue

Ready2BThinna
07-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks Sue. Your example does better illustrate a sample day. I believe I've just got to commit to a sensible way of eating and keep moving.
:carrot:

Momofsteel
07-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I've tried all sorts of diets and am very successful in the beginning but cannot sustain it for the long run. I am sort of doing my own thing - watching carbs/bread (limiting to maybe 2 servings per day), adding more veggies/fruit, drinking more water and exercising. My goal is keeping consistent - this is evading me.