Whole Foods Lifestyle - Sucant and cheesecake

View Full Version : Sucant and cheesecake

chickiegirl
06-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Does anyone know anything about sucant as a sugar substitute? I see online that's it's supposed to be OK, but there's something about what I'm reading that isn't really clear in a way that this is the best sugar substitute.

Is it the best?

If one wanted to make a say, cheesecake, but wanted to substitute the best natural thing for sugar -- what would that be? I'd rather have extra calories with a whole foods vs. lower cals and more process.

JulieJ08
06-29-2009, 11:19 PM
By substitute, I think you mean less processed, not non/low-calorie, correct?

It's less processed than white granulated sugar. But sugar to me is not a whole food anyway. The whole food would be the beet (or honey or maple syrup). I still have some, but I've cut WAY back.

It's probably a reasonable substitute for sugar. I've been using agave syrup. But I can't say I know this makes a great difference. My total sugar intake is low anyway, but I do feel better about it. Maybe wishful thinking.

In any event, with a lot of baking recipes, substitutes may behave differently. So I'd either try to find recipes that call for the ingredients you like, or be willing to experiment!

kaebea
06-30-2009, 08:38 AM
I would try honey or agave. i 'm sure you could find a recipe.
also fruit mixed in or on top to add sweetness.