Old 06-29-2009, 05:25 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #34

Good morning ladies! I went to bed early so of course I am up early. I am going over swimming later this morning and imagine I will have a swim partner not long after.

I found the cutest t-shirt for sale at Cracker Barrel on Friday. I had gone to get the car washed and the restaurant is across the street. I wanted to get a Yankee Candle air freshner for the car and I needed to eat so I went in and had egg beaters and sour dough toast. When I finished I was wandering around in the store and found this blue t-shirt with this tricycle on it that looked like it was zooming across the shirt. The lettering said, "When the going gets tough, the tough goes to Grandma's." I bought it for Jackson then bought him a couple boxes of non chocolate candy, some gummis and another kind and sent it with a birthday card and some money to round out his birthday. I hadn't spent nearly as much on him as I did Thomas so I thought I would send him a little package.

We have a job ahead of us on Friday. We found a great deal on a 40" HD tv with a dvd player and it had 10 months deferred payment and no interest so I bought it, but now we have to completely rearrange the living room and it won't fit in the entertainment center so we have to move that too and I am going to move my computer desk into the living room from the kitchen and use the entertainment center for my knitting and computer stuff. Should be fun. The tv is being shipped (oh and we got free shipping too) so it won't be here until around the 9th, which gives us time to get stuff rearranged. We are then going to go out and buy a small chest freezer and put it where the computer desk was in the kitchen. With us being on WW, our freezer is stuffed and we really need more freezer storage. I found a great deal at Home Depot so I imagine we will get that one when we have the time. I think I could use about 3 more rooms and 5 closets and I just might have enough room for everything that is in this condo!

Susan: Glad you like my choices. I just hope I like them when they get here. Of course, the dress won't fit, but I will be able to tell if I think it would suit me or not. I now have 3 outfits to wear on the formal nights or the nights we go to the expensive restaurants on the ship. I am going to find a cute sundress I think then that will be it for dressier clothes. I will most likely buy all capris as I am not much for short wearing even losing all that weight. With all the skin hanging I imagine I will get some kind of undergarment to wear to smooth it all out anyway.

I had to rip out about a foot of the throw! I made a goof on the one side and had to rip it back to fix it. I guess I will just have to step it up and make up for lost time!

You gals all have a good start to the week. I am going to start my morning chores and get them done and maybe start a bit of cleaning that makes no noise down here.
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #2  

Good morning, ladies! Sun is shining and it's headed for 90 today.

Nothing new to report.

Faye, you'll soon be set for your cruise. What a great incentive. I have a big freezer and I really need to get a smaller one. Mine is really old. You'll enjoy your big TV. I found a great support garment that has a high waist and longer legs (couple of inches above the knee) at Walmart for only $11.

Ladies, have a good day. I need to get to work.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been a beautiful cool sunny day in my corner of the world. We were gone most of yesterday -- went to Sioux City to return a top I bought and didn't like when I got it home, stopped at the cemetery and the grave marker is finally in after 9 years of arguing over the old marker, and then headed to Bob's hometown for a 50th anniversary. We met up with our friends and spent the rest of the time at their house just visiting. I was tired when we got home -- Bob went back to the office to do some work in peace and quiet. I spent a little time doing a couple loads of laundry and wiping off sheet rock dust, so I didn't even get on the computer.

I had PT this morning and made grocery run. We are planning to spend the 4th with kids and grandkids which will be a first for us. Usually when the kids stay we had MIL and there was no room for all of us to stay. I'd just as soon stay in my own bed, but we'll see how it goes. There are 3 bedrooms and room for blow-up mattresses if the kids want to have a slumber party.

"Gma" -- It's nice that you can swim at Kelly's and spend time with Thomas. I'm sure he enjoys that too. Your dress and shoes look pretty sharp! How do you know what size clothes to shop for?

Susan -- I will have to check out the recipes when I am done here. It's nice to get away, but I was ready to come home by Thursday. Guess I needed some Ernie time.

Maggie -- It sounds like your glass buildings are coming right along. Our humidity is way down again . . . strange weather for sure.

I need to check the dryer which should be about done. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-29-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all! I hope your day has started out well. I have upstairs vacuuming and dusting to do today before I go over to T's and swim.

I am finally back to the place I was when I had to rip back the throw. Onward and upward now to get the thing finished then finish the pillows and I can go back to knitting the boys' sweaters. I haven't even started Thomas's and have Jackson's 3/4 done though I am hoping it won't be too small by fall. I am making a size 4 and the next size is 6 so maybe it will carry him through. I know the sleeves are long enough.

Jean: I am going with the premise that I want to weigh 155-160 and when I weighed that back in Jr High School I wore either a 14 or 16 so I am buying larges in everything. I am a pretty big gal, not petite so I am never going be be 6,8,10 etc. I have 18 months to get to goal and I calculated it out and that is 2.6 lbs a week. I have been losing about 4 lbs a week so I think I will make it or close to it. It keeps me on track as I know I have these clothes that I have to fit into so I don't cheat! Have fun with the kids this weekend. We are going to a Redbirds (St Louis Cardinals AAA team) baseball game so I can see fireworks. I could care less about the game as they aren't cubbies and aren't playing the Cubs AAA team. Jack told me to take one of my, let's see how did he put it, "elephant" purses so we could sneak our own snacks into the park. Since it is a night game, I may save my dinner pts and have a hot dog but other than that I have no plans to eat any of their junk.

Susan: I found a knit aquamarine long flowing skirt with side slits, matching tank, coordinating jacket and then capris that matched the jacket. I couldn't resist it as it was so cute and got such good reviews. I'll see if I can get it to post. Like I told Jean, finding cruise clothing keeps me on track. Everything I have bought so far, except maybe the Bob Mackie top and Jacket either has stretch or flows so I am not worried about fit. I am bound and determined to be a 14-16 by next November.

Thomas and I again had a grand time yesterday. He either swims along side me as I do laps or when I am doing other stuff stands at the side of the pool and follows me up and back or stands and just talks to me. It is wonderful to get to visit with him so much and he can be quite the imp. He truly has his dad's personality and quick wit. He is quiet until he feels comfortable with you, then talks a mile a minute. I am getting great 1 hour workouts each day too so I know it should kick up my metabolism and hopefully kick up my HDL as well. I only have to gain about 5-10 pts and will back in the normal range.

I have a dr appt for a physical on the 20th and don't know what to expect really. I haven't been one to have yearly physicals because I got tired of everyone haranguing me about my weight. I mean, it wasn't like I didn't KNOW I needed to lose weight. I now have someone I trust and though she is pretty strong feeling about me losing weight, she at least treats me like an adult and not some naughty child who should be punished. I don't know if any of you have watched the program "Ruby" on the Style channel, but it is about a really pretty very southern young woman who weighs almost 500 lbs and is working to lose the weight. She has lost 100 lbs so far in the year the show has been on, but seems to now be struggling. I watched a repeat episode yesterday about her and her former boyfriend who dumped her when she started gaining weight and not losing it like he thought she should. Anyway, my point about this show was that I didn't gain 200 lbs in 2-3-5 years like she did. I gained about 40 lbs with each child which was 32-36 years ago that no one encouraged me to take off, then put on 5 or so lbs every year and here I am. Maybe that is why I am able to get around, walk and such because my body adjusted to the gradual weight gain over years instead of all at once. That's not to say I can do everything because I can't. Climbing stairs are harder for me, getting down on the ground and back up is tough and I haven't run in many many many years. I am one of those truly stupid people who can lose the weight but would get lazy and go back to bad habits. I have never been one to eat huge amounts of food, just really bad stuff, high fat and such. Ahh well, I am well on my way to a better me, even if I did start this pretty late in life. I can certainly make a huge difference in the quality of the rest of my life, that's for sure.

Well, I see it is almost 7 and I need to get chores done and get some breakfast. I think egg beaters, toast and melon are on the list for my breakfast this morning.

You all have a grand day! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capris.jpg (24.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (16.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg aquaskirt.jpg (6.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #5  

Good afternoon, ladies. Another 90 degree day but not much humidity.

I have my pulmonist's appointment this afternoon and then I'm taking myself out to dinner. I am rather anxious about this appointment.

Faye, I love the latest outfit. We have similar taste in clothes, that's for sure. It's never too late to do something about your weight. It took me about 20 months to go from 356 to 142 but I was younger then. I'll never be able to wear short or sleeveless tops because of my flabby arms, but that's okay. I get elbow sleeves or longer and move on.

Jean, looks like you're in for a good time with the kids on the 4th. I haven't even thought about it being this week.

Maggie, how's construction going?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a cool windy day in my corner of the world. The sun is shining and the birds are chirping away outside. Ernie found 3 creepy bugs in the upstairs bathroom yesterday! I went out on the deck and moved a flower pot only to find a whole colony of the creepy critters! EWWW! Bob sprayed around the outside last night, and I set off a bug bomb upstairs this morning. I'm doing the last load of laundry right now -- stinky fishing clothes! I ran a couple errands this morning and don't feel the least bit ambitious this afternoon.

"Gma" -- I had to at Jack's description of your purse! I just looked at purses this weekend and most of them were pretty big! Some time ago I did buy a bigger bag to take on the plane, but it is more in the line of a business looking purse, if there is such a thing. I used to sneak candy into the movies when the kids were little. I don't blame you for taking your own food to the game. Their prices are out of sight for sure! Where do you shop online? I really like this outfit! Like I said before, you will look pretty snazzy!

Susan -- I hope your pulmonist appointment was a good one. I hate doctor's appts.! Guess that is why I waited so long to go with my knee hoping it would just go away. I wish the "casual" shirt, t-shirt makers would make their short sleeves just a tad longer! I don't wear sleeveless either.

I need to get busy! Have a great "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-30-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:19 AM   #7  

Morning gals! Looks like I am going to have a busy three days. They are delivering the tv today, well this afternoon or evening so I need to get started on moving stuff off the entertainment center, the computer and the baker's rack so we can move these three pieces of furniture tomorrow. Jack has decided to take tomorrow off since we decided not to go to Cincinnati. We put the baseball tickets up for sale so we shall see. I need to find a basket that will fit in the bottom entertainment space to put my yarn in. The tv is way too big for the entertainment cabinet slot so we will be putting it on my coffee table and switching stuff around. Right now my coffee table, which has three baskets below it holds all my yarn so I am putting it into the entertainment center then "L" the entertainment center and computer desk in th right hand corner of the living room and I will have my own little area then. They will come on Friday to install the second satellite and receiver for the HD stuff.

Jean: All the clothing for the cruise I have shown you and shoes too have come from HSN. I really like some of their brands of clothing and wear them now so I figure I would like them skinny too. The brand of the ones I just showed you are Carol Strauss and she makes stretchy knit clothing. We have what they call rollypolly bugs. Don't know what they actually are, but they are all over the place and drive me nuts, that and spiders. I can't have them come in and spray because of the dog so I just seem to always be chasing them down.

Susan: I will have the same trouble with my arms, but at least I am working now to firm up the muscles where I can on them. Except for that evening dress, everything sleeveless I have bought has a jacket. I am going to knit a lace shawl in a silk yarn in the color below that will go with the evening dress to wrap around my shoulders to cover my arms for the most part. Hope your pulmonary appt goes ok. I am sure it will and that you are coming right along. Have fun at dinner.

Well, I hear Jack out of the shower so he will be downstairs in a couple minutes. He plays Free Cell while he eats breakfast on the computer so I make sure I am off it. Have a good hump day all!
Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yarn.jpg (29.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by gma22; 07-01-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #8  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun has disappeared and the clouds are taking over. It's a cool 63 degrees with a breeze . . . not exactly summer weather here. The dishwasher is going and I'm heading to the garage. I have put that off long enough!

"Gma" -- You will be busy moving and rearranging your "stuff!" Be careful and don't try to do too much by yourself. I know you will enjoy your new TV. I have to unload my lower kitchen cupboards next week for the new counter tops to be installed; I plan to do some more pitching. The guy is supposed to come today and finish taping and hopefully texturing the wall. Why he didn't do the whole thing in the first place is beyond me. He left half the wall tile behind the fridge which Bob took off in about a half hour last night. The guy made such a big deal about how hard it was to remove, and then had to replace all of the sheet rock. Bob didn't have any problem so won't need a new piece of sheet rock there. The bug spray I used said to remove pets from the area and turn off any gas/electrical appliance that would turn off and on. I shut Ernie in the basement which he didn't appreciate but it was only for a couple hours. Your yarn looks very pretty and will make a nice shawl.

I'm off to the garage! Have a GREAT day and remember to smile!

Jean -- and from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 07-02-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking July One

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIA FRIENDS
It is so far a cooler day this day which suits me just fine. This afternoon I have an appointment to get my hair cut. Went on our monthly ride way out in the country to ourfavorite butcher shop in a little town. Got jerkey and some good looking steaks and lean hamburger. My cold has progressed to the coughing stage to get my lungs cleaned out. I feel so much better than I did the last few days. I have been working on some glass boxes for some folks.

DONNA FAYE A new TV ~ what size? Ours is 42" flat size which is the largest we wanted. It sits on an open top stand that has drawers underneath. HD sure looks nice on it. But I still don't watch much TV. Your FOCUS is showing. You go girlfriend. Skipping on down the road to thin. I love your new outfit.

JEAN Is your humidity back? Those bugs seem to love it. We don't have much of any here but those pesky little knats. How you gonna act when you finally get that garage cleaned out?

SUSAN I do hope all is well with you following your appointment with your Pulmonist. That's the artery thing isn't it? Flabby arms ~ that is what we get from filling them up so full at one time. Will says I can have any extras removed surgically if I want after I lose. I'll have to think about it real hard and make that decision when I need to.

Everyone have a nice fresh start to whatever it is you want to accomplish. For here we are at another first day of a new month. Type at y'all later.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #10  

Good afternoon, ladies! A hot one here.

The doctor's appointment was about what I expected - I have COPD and asthma, 40% breathing function, right ventricular heart enlargement, and if all that isn't enough, gluten sensitivity (not intolerance). She did say I was a bit of a puzzle because I maintain oxygen levels in the high 90s, even during exercise, which means I still have good O2/CO2 exchange. However, she thinks my levels are dropping during the night so I will be having some sort of machine delivered that records O2 levels during sleep. Not a CPAP because I don't have sleep apenea. Then they will pick up the machine and send her the readings and if I need oxygen at night, I'll be getting a call from the company to bring me an oxygen generator. I also asked her about my prescriptions now that I've fallen in the donut hole. I told her I could get them from Canada and she said she had a list of reputable Canadian pharmacies. I got a 3 month supply of 3 medications for $273 and I couldn't get 1 month supply of Spiriva or Sympicort for that here. Sometimes having an Indian doctor (who was trained in US), helps. She said she wouldn't send me to pulmonary rehab yet because insurance will only pay for it once in a lifetime and I still go about my daily life with only a little shortness of breath. Once damage is done to your lungs, it never reverses so it is all down hill from here. I seem to be following in my father's footsteps - he had emphysema and died of a heart attack. Of course, heart disease is rampant in my family. Anyway, no more Curves, but I can go to the yoga class and ride my bike and walk.

Faye, thanks for the name of the clothes you get. I'm going to check into them. You always seem to find nice things there. Enjoy the tv! I guess I'll start and give my bedroom a rearrange tomorrow and clean the carpet in there.

Jean, I try to do a lot of stuff myself because it seems I know about as much about some things as the so-called expert I hire. You can sure get a lot of info on the internet now on DIY. My next job is going to be to put ceramic floor tile in the foyer and downstairs bath. I found out I can rent a tile cutter and that is all that was holding me back.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all! Well we got the living room moved around, but no tv. We did get the dvd player. I called HSN three times yesterday, the first time when I saw that the tracking number said the shipment was only 6 lbs, pretty darn light for a tv. She checked and said it was shipped complete. Basically, after the tv wasn't with the other stuff I got, one said that UPS has a habit of delivering things separately, after I then called UPS and she said each box would have a tracking number and we only got one for the whole shegband, I called again. This one, who was a bit abrupt and snooty I thought, said the stuff was shipped directly from the vendor and we would get the tv in a couple days. If we didn't call them back on the NINTH and they would contact the vendor. I guess a lot of people were getting only their dvd player and they have this problem a lot with vendors. Only problem is, UPS shows it as being delivered of course so I hope we don't have a problem if the tv doesn't show up. Hopefully, they shipped it under another tracking number and didn't include both to HSN. {{{SIGH}}} It can never be easy.

Maggie: We got a 40", which is as big as we should get for the size of our living room. Well, we have a good sized living room, but have one wall that has the fireplace, then a nook, then a closet so you can't put much on it, then one wall with a doorway to the hall so it isn't solid either, then a wall with a large opening at one end into the kitchen so again so solid wall and the last wall has the door to the deck and a big picture window. Whomever built these places must have taken architecture at Sears!

Susan: Boy, what a mess you have. I am sorry things aren't as good for you as you had hoped. I don't think people realize how important our lungs are until we have trouble with them. Well, no one would smoke except the real idiots if the knew that somewhere down the road their breathing capacity would be cut in half and they would die earlier than they should. I have a sister who has the precursor to emphysema and still puffs away. She is on CPAP too. Of course, maybe us fatties wouldn't get fat if we thought about how detrimentaly a couple hundred lbs extra would be on our lives, but look at us. Our country is now 23% overweight.

Jean: Hope you can get your countertops in with no problem. Workmen are a pain in the tush sometimes. I got my long dress for the cruise and it is gorgeous and just right for warm Caribbean nights. I think the colors in the yarn will go well with the browns and tans and such in the dress. The shoes have to go back though. Besides being ugly and cheap looking, I don't think they fit well. I have to send my red patent flip flops back too because they are too darn big.

Girls, I have a lot I want to finish today before I go over swimming so I need to hope to it. Have a wonderful day today!
Faye
Old 07-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #12  

Good morning, ladies! We had a bad storm last night but it's geared up for another hot one today.

I have a day off today since I'm normally off on Friday and the rest of the office is off tomorrow. I thought I'd sleep in, but I was awake at 5 am.

Faye, while I did smoke for 15 years, and quit 14 years ago next month, the doctor feels like that was not the major reason for my problems.My chest x-ray didn't show emphysema in my lungs. The severity of the asthma is a huge part and the allergies are in there, too. I guess it's in my favor that I've kept my weight down and eaten pretty healthy for years. I have an appointment next week with the nutritionist to go over my diet and work out what needs to be changed.

Sorry about the shoes, I have to try them on before I buy. I usually need 9.5 but sometimes a 9 or 10 fit better.

Dentist's office called and my crown is ready again so I go today at 9:40. I hope this meets with his approval because I'm getting tired of this game.

I stopped in Big Lots on my way home from work yesterday and they had Playtex bras for $7.00 and in my size, which is amazing because I need a 34D. I bought 2 and they fit great so I'm going back after the dentist and get some more.

Well, that's it for today. Have a good one!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #13  

Talking

Good Afternoon! I just got home from pt and am going to see how it goes next week before I schedule another appt. Right now my knee feels almost 100%. I've been trying to get things lined up to leave tomorrow for the weekend. I'd really rather stay home. *sigh* Bob has been looking forward to an overnight weekend up there for years so guess I will put on my happy face and go along. At least the grandkids will keep things lively. It is warming up again so that is good -- won't be cold and icky unless it rains.

Maggie -- I'm glad you are feeling better. Our humidity is low right now -- love this weather -- warm days and cool nights!

Susan -- I'm not exactly sure what COPD is, but know it isn't good. I can relate to the asthma part however. It's good that you have lost the weight and are eating healthy. Why would Curves be more strenuous than walking or riding your bike? If you have gluten sensitivity, are you supposed to just watch ingredients or stay away from it completely? Lots of questions, I know. I have noticed several food labels now say "gluten free."

"Gma" -- I hope you have your TV by now! What a SNAFU for you! I don't know why, but I couldn't post in the box at the bottom of the thread. This may end up in "never never land" with MJ!

I have to change laundry loads to better get a move on. I also need to make a WM run -- GROAN.

Hope you all have a safe and enjoyable 4th!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #14  

Good morning ladies. Still no tv and we have the direct tv guy coming this morning to put the HD dish on the condo and bring the receiver. Jack says he can still just connect it to our current tv to make sure it works and we will just have to switch it when we get the tv. I am more that a little miffed about the whole thing. I am just going to cross my fingers and hope it is delivered today.

Jean: Have a good time with family this weekend. I am sure the kids can't wait to see you.

Susan:Wow great price for Playtex bras. I think I have only been in Big Lots once years ago. I need to go and check out what they have from time to time.

I have to get going gals and get my morning chores done before the satellite guy gets here. He is supposed to come between 8-12 so we shall see.
Faye
Old 07-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #15  

Good morning, ladies! The usual hot one today.

The storm I mentioned yesterday was a little more than I thought. It had hurrican force winds at 85 mph and blew high tension cables that cross the James river into the river. The channel was closed to shipping most of the day until they could get the cables out of the water. They are huge - they weigh about 54,000 pounds! It turned a semi and its load over on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel so that was closed all morning. The pump that keeps the HRBT dry failed and the tunnel was shut down because it flooded. Everything was diverted to the Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel and the traffice backed up 19 miles. These are our exits in case of a hurricane so now I know this place can't be evacuated. Shoot we were expecting traffic backups starting yesterday just because it's a holiday weekend. Trees are down and people were without power but its all been restored. They are laying new cables this weekend across the James.

I had my quilting bee last night, we ate at Chic-Fil-A before hand. I love the salad that has fruit and chicken.

Faye, I get my double fiber wheat bread at Big Lots for $1.89 instead of the $3.29 it is in the grocery stores so I go there at least every 2 weeks. I pass it on my way home from work so it's convenient. They usually have 100 calorie packs for $2. And you never know what else you'll find. I'm glad you weren't holding your breath waiting for the tv to be delivered! Hope it comes today.

Jean, COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) is the 4th leading cause of death in the US. It can be caused by emphysema, chronic bronchitis, or asthma or as the result a genetic defect causes the body to produce insufficient anti-trypsine which removes dead cells (protein) from the lungs. I can walk or ride my bike because I can stop as often as I need to and rest until I catch my breath before continuing. Curves is resistence machines and I have a lot of pushing and pulling and it raises your heart rate higher and its 30 minutes of continuous exercise. If you stop to catch your breath, you throw the flow of the circuit off for everyone else. I'm glad your knee is better. Enjoy the weekend at the lake. It'll be fun with the grandkids.

Nothing but housecleaning on the plate for today.

Have a good day!