100 lb. Club - I LOVE summer

View Full Version : I LOVE summer

cfmama
06-26-2009, 11:46 PM
especially summer fruits. I have a fridge FULL of peaches, plums, nectarines, blackberries, kiwi, blueberries, strawberries, watermelon and honeydew. I just had a big bowl of blueberries, blackberries and skim milk. Heaven!

So what is your favourite summer fruit? How do you like to prepare it?

girlonfire
06-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Mmmmmm kiwis and peaches and cherries just to name a few. Also I love papayas!

galaxia2002
06-27-2009, 12:00 AM
watermelon is my favorite!!! and a close second is raspberries and strawberries and blackberries, all mixed in vanilla yogurt with granola.

I love cranberries too, but i guess they aren't really a summer fruit :cool:

Trazey34
06-27-2009, 12:59 AM
i usually go for the strawberry/blackberry mix. i LOVE LOVE watermelon but I can't control myself LOL i cut it in 4 and that''s 4 servings lol not a good thing!

RayLynn88
06-27-2009, 01:05 AM
I got some blueberries and i froze 'em. I like to put them in the blender along with nonfat plain yogurt and pineapples and make a blueberry pineapple smoothie. soooo good. :D

sidhe
06-27-2009, 01:47 AM
Definitely kiwis, cold, eaten with a spoon. Mmmmmmm. :love:

Jennelle
06-27-2009, 01:47 AM
Watermelon, hands down! We've gotten some nice, sweet ones this summer, too!

luvja
06-27-2009, 02:47 AM
Peaches and blueberries! I love fresh blueberries with my cottage cheese!

cfmama
06-27-2009, 03:29 AM
My three year old son Phoenix LOVES peaches. Like has a passion for them. At least 3-4 times a DAY I hear "mama... can my haz a peaches?" "PWWWWEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEE!!!!!" It kills me every time ;)

TraceyElaine
06-27-2009, 07:35 AM
I love strawberries. Absoloute FAV! Especially local ones which are out this time of year. I could eat them on everything or just like candy straight from the box.

Ruthxxx
06-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Right now strawberries are my favourite as they are in season around here. I am heading off to the local U-Pick farm this morning to get a 4 L basket. I always intend to freeze them but most will be eaten fresh. Um...maybe 2 baskets?

rockinrobin
06-27-2009, 08:03 AM
I got the most GORGEOUS firm, sugar sweet cherries yesterday - for $1.49 a lb! That's an insane price. See they were so inexpensive I bought a lot of them. Big mistake. Need I say anymore? ;)

Yeah, cherries is definitely a fruit I can (& do) overeat.

Along with those cherries, I got some other incredible sweet and priced well fruits. We had a field day last night. Blackberries, strawberries, honeydew, watermelon. And blueberries the size of small grapes. Yumm.

One of my very favorites is raspberries. And I too am a peach lover. They are so good. I look forward to them all year. I've been cutting one up and putting it my salad along with baby spinach, orange peppers, red onion, grape tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. What a little taste treat.

Oooh, almost forgot about mangoes.

So what is your favourite summer fruit? How do you like to prepare it?

That's the great thing about fruit - yeah they go great with other things, but they are FABULOUS all on their lonesome. You wash them - and eat them. No preparation, no nothing. Isn't nature amazing?

That's why I say all the time, there is no deprivation to be found in "this lifestyle". NONE. We're eating fabulous foods. Rethink what a treat is. Not some calorie laden, fat & sugar laden, additive laden - garbage, that you eat in half a minute and then you are left feeling like crap and with added pounds on you. Fruit. Fresh delicious fruit. Nothing can compare to it. For it's goodness, ease of use, nutrients and taste and long lasting benefits - long after you're done chewing it. Good stuff. No, make that - great stuff! :drool:

susiemartin
06-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Straight up cherries.
But I love blueberries too.
In fact I usually pick & freeze about 20 quarts of blueberries to last me & my oatmeal all year :)

Breeezie
06-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Oh ya. I have the peach obsession too! I remember as a kid even rubbing them lightly on my face because I liked the fuzzy on the outside. lol.

Also love kiwi, strawberries, and mangos. YUM.

dragonwoman64
06-27-2009, 11:49 AM
white peaces, wow! watermelon, great to eat in the summertime...mmm. I found a yellow watermelon once at a farmers market, kind of odd and sweet.

love blueberries on top of cereal (we eat strawberries on top of cereal several days a week). is good with cottage cheese too.

then there's cantelope and honeydew, I like honeydew a little less. when cantelope is in season, is really delicious. a couple of slices of that with a sunnyside up egg and piece of toast, perfect summer breakfast for me. (and a cup of coffee)

I'm a big fan of cranberries too, yes is a winter fruit, ha.

haven't met too many fruits that I don't like.

bacilli
06-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Cantelope, watermelon, honeydew, and blueberries. I buy tons of blueberries, freeze them, and use them all year. I never seem to buy enough though, I love blueberries so much!

I also LOVE mango, guava, and papaya. I'm allergic to them, so don't eat them often. I know it's a stupid thing to do, but when I crave them I load up on allergy meds and keep an epi pen handy. The love of them is strong enough that I have to sneak them sometimes! Mmmmm guava.

WildThings
06-27-2009, 12:41 PM
It's not really a summer fruit because it comes from tropical climates and does have to be shipped...but I am OBSESSED with fresh pineapple. I actually have stopped buying it because I can eat an entire pineapple in one hour (then not feel my lips and tongue the rest of the day). Another favorite is cherries, although I have not found as good as a deal as Robin on them yet. I really just like fruit though. I can only eat one serving a day so I buy little containers of stuff so I can have a different one each day. Strawberries, blueberries, apples...now I'm hungry, may need to put together a fruit salad this weekend for work Monday.

Slashnl
06-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Love cherries, but our local ones here are very expensive this year due to the problems we had with freezing. They are huge, but expensive. Apricots are coming and peaches not too far behind. Love them all!!! I really love fresh pineapple, but it isn't native to my area, so it is tough to come by.

AmberShimmer
06-27-2009, 01:47 PM
My favorite summer fruits would be guavas. I like the softer kinds. I don't know if they actually come in hard and soft varieties or if the softer guavas are just the ones allowed to ripen a bit more.

Other summer fruit I love are cantaloupes, cherries and strawberries.

Oh, and can't forget lychees. They are so fun to eat.

Couch
06-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Cherries. Oh my, I love them. I have made myself sick on them more than once. Unfortunately it is the depths of winter here in the southern hemisphere, and all this talk of seasonal fruit is just making me jealous.

TJFitnessDiva
06-27-2009, 10:57 PM
mmmm...peaches. Sounds like a plan when I hit up the fruit stand tomorrow :)
Movin to the country Im gonna eat a lot of peaches
Peaches come from a can they were put there by a man
In a factory downtown
If I had my little way Id eat peaches everyday
Sun soakin bulges in the shade......hehe

Watermelon is also a big favorite around here...nothing like an iced down watermelon on a hot day! ;)

LitMiss
06-28-2009, 08:40 PM
I love pineapple, grapes, peaches, apricots, nectarines and cherries. Yum.

MugCanDoIt
06-29-2009, 02:32 PM
My three year old son Phoenix LOVES peaches. Like has a passion for them. At least 3-4 times a DAY I hear "mama... can my haz a peaches?" "PWWWWEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEE!!!!!" It kills me every time ;)

Be glad, cause my son ate all kinds of veggies and fruits as a young child and now he wont touch any.:( It makes me so mad!

MugCanDoIt
06-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Oh how I would just love to literally do a dive into an open Watermellon! Just like you'd dive into a swimming pool, Id like to dive into a big open watermellon!

WhitePicketFences
06-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Oh! I had such a time at the farmer's market on saturday. Tomatoes, peaches, blueberries! I am making a fresh peach salsa to have with salmon tonight, actually.

TaraLee
06-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Strawberries, bananas, apriocots and peaches!!! I was raised on a peach orchard... I miss all the peaches, plums and other fruits we had... sigh.

My favorite thing with the fruit? I mix it into my breakfast foods. Fresh fruit and oatmeal, or cooked into the cream of wheat... but overall fav... I chop it up and serve it with the multigrain pancakes with the no fat whipped cream.....mmmmm.... darn it... now I'm hungry! LOL

rockinrobin
06-29-2009, 03:42 PM
I am making a fresh peach salsa to have with salmon tonight, actually.

Oh yumm. Do tell, do tell. If you don't mind that is. I'm always up for a good salsa recipe. :T