Old 06-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default All calories are the same... right?

Hello. I've been a compulsive overeater since I was a teenager. I started exercising in May 09 and started calorie counting in the beginning of June. It is simply tooooo difficult fo rme to count calories, AND carbs, AND fat, AND sugars, AND sodium, etc. I'm trying to get my body used to eating between 1200-1700 calories per day (before when I was indulging in my bingeing I could eat well into the 3000-4000 range). It's taken a while but I'm finally starting to feel adjusted to my new calorie range.

From what I understand, I could eat anything as long as I stay within my calories. I've been doing this and exercising every day and have managed to drop 2-3lbs per week. After 22lbs lost I'm feeling a stall. How do I get through this, do I just keep doing what I'm doing and hoping my body will pull through naturally or do I have to decrease calories more, or do I have to start paying attention to carbs/protein/fat intake? I don't feel quite ready for this step though.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

Height: 5'7

Baby steps. Yes, calories are calories. Some people's bodies react differently to carbs and such but if what you're doing is working then don't mess with it right now. I will say though that I'm a big believer in eating good for you foods (whole, natural, etc) and that it certainly wouldn't hurt to making a move toward make your calories count in that respect. In other words, 1200 calories of junk food is 1200 calories but you get more bang for your buck with 1200 calories of lean meats, whole grains, veggies, etc.

Last edited by amynbebes; 06-26-2009 at 09:37 PM.
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:58 PM   #3  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

Personally, if I eat too much bad fat and not enough good stuff it causes me issues. I know a lot of people have issues with carbs. It all just depends on your body. I use thedailyplate site which has a little pie chart for how much fat/protein/carbs you are eating and I try to judge from that but I don't keep to hard numbers. Some days I just want a whole avocado, pie chart be damned.

I will say sodium is something you really need to pay attention to because if you have too much it can make you retain water which makes it hard to tell if you are losing fat or not.

Also keep in mind, your body won't function well and you won't have any energy if you don't get enough nutrition. Yes you technically can lose weight eating junk, but it will be harder on your body and it will suck to be you, because you will feel like crap. The best thing to do is to just try and eat healthy, and count the calories. Stay away from processed food, add more fresh/frozen veggies and fruits, drink lots of water.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

For losing, gaining, and maintaing, all calories are equal. Now that isn't true for "overall" health and well being.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:30 AM   #5  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

calories are calories, cutting them will help you lose weight. HOWEVER, eating too many carbs can help lead you down the path of diabetes and lets not forget how other elements of food affects cholesterol and BP. Thinking healthier, not thinner.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #6  
Almost there! 7lbs to go!

S/C/G: 165/137/130

Height: 5'8"

What exercises are you doing right now? How about switching things up a bit.. A new routine or DVD,etc... You'll get over this bump!! Just keep on going!
Moralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

I hope I do get over this bump. I've been extremely stressed out over work this week and my husband thinks that may be a reason for not shedding pounds. Could this be true??? Could stress be preventing me from losing the weight eventhough I'm doing all the right things?

I exercise every day, 3-4 mornings a week I play tennis. 3-4 days I do an Exercise TV cardio and weight training, and I walk every evening after dinner. It seems pretty varied to me, especially since I don't do the same exercise videos over and over again (there's too many to choose from on Ex. TV).
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #8  
Almost there! 7lbs to go!

S/C/G: 165/137/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I hope I do get over this bump. I've been extremely stressed out over work this week and my husband thinks that may be a reason for not shedding pounds. Could this be true??? Could stress be preventing me from losing the weight eventhough I'm doing all the right things?

I exercise every day, 3-4 mornings a week I play tennis. 3-4 days I do an Exercise TV cardio and weight training, and I walk every evening after dinner. It seems pretty varied to me, especially since I don't do the same exercise videos over and over again (there's too many to choose from on Ex. TV).
wow.. Lots of exercise!! You'll get over this bump I'm sure! Try to stop stressing, cause it'll reac havoc on your body! Just change your outlook a bit... Instead of "hoping" to get over this bump, KNOW that you'll get over it!!

How many servings of carbs are you having a day? I find
bumping down to 2 (3 tops) gives me a boost... (I don't count carbs, just count a slice of bread as one serving, 1/2 cup of pasta as a serving, etc...)

Good luck!! You CAN do this!!!!!
Moralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #9  
Highest Weight ever, 225

S/C/G: 225/185/160

If your stressing too much try to find some yoga workouts, do the relaxation at the end or just do the 'dead mans pose' sorry don't know the technical term. I use that when I am stressing too much otherwise I don't sleep and wake up with knotted muscles and sore teeth from clenching them.

They are saying stress can be the reason so many of us are overweight, this society is full of stresses and fast paced so it might not be helping.
edzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #10  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

I love all of the positive and sound advice on this site! What a great question! As someone said earlier, you really do get more bang for your buck with healthier foods, and you can eat more too.

Now I need to take my own advice and eat better foods! We can do it ladies and gents!
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #11  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

I'd knock out some carbs if I were you and eat more veggies and fruits. Maybe not weigh in for a bit, just go by intuition and how your body feels? I know it's frustrating...
You could watch the 30 day shred video with your feet up and get your workout by laughing at Jillian
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote