Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #1  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

Default Fustrated

i know this is going to sound impossible .... but when i first started my diet i had started with baby steps ... i reduced my calorie intake but didnt really work out ..... and i lost weight and then when i got down to 226 i started to add excersize into the mix for the past three days i did wii active and burned 330 calories a day and in addition to that i take an afternoon stroll around my block ( about 10 minutes 2 laps ) and i do 15 minute segments of an excersize video evrey day ... and i was so excited to step on the scale this morning and when i did i was horrified to find i gained 1.5 pounds ... whats going on .... my calorie intake is the same im guessing im doing the weight watchers program i eat about 25-27 points daily what gives? am i doing something wrong?
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #2  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Don't let it get you down. Exercise will add water weight. It's frustrating but keep on exercising and eating right and you will see the results of your hard work.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #3  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

i hope so .... i was really hoping on breaking past 215 by my birthday ... i hope i can make it ..... i think id be crushed if i didnt
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #4  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

Don't let a pound or two bother you. If you are POP, then the gain, is more than likely water weight. I'm ALWAYS up a pound after my Core and Strength training days, so don't fret, just keep doing what you're doing.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

It's just water weight. I'm starting to jog (yay!) and I'm always up a bit the next day... or even after a really hard long walk I will be up as well.

Last edited by cfmama; 06-26-2009 at 10:47 PM.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #6  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

It's the exercise, baby. Your muscles will hold water in order to repair themselves. And please keep in mind that:
1. Time-based goals just aren't realistic. Seriously. All you can do is be on plan eating and diet-wise. You can't control how fast your body loses the weight. You might have had a hard exercise day, or eaten too much salt, or be near TOM...IMHO, time-based goals lead to nothing but frustration.
2. Patience! This takes time...see point above!
3. Are you changing your lifestyle? Or want the numbers down? There are alot of plans that get the numbers down, but don't teach you how to maintain the loss. Other plans let you change your lifestyle, and as a RESULT, the numbers come down. Different focus. It just depends what your path is.

Just some things to think about.

PERSONALLY, I think you are doing really well. Hang in there. This WILL work out for you. Just breathe...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #7  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

The scale can be a vindicative heartless vixen who will leave you in tears and then crush you soul. She will tell you lies and spread rumours about you to her friends. Its true.

Anyway, yeah, you know you are doing the right thing and it is so much better to judge progress by how you feel and how your clothes fit. When I temporary break up with the scale (and I always take her back) I try to take waist measurements or see how my clothes fit as a real sign of progress.

Keep up the good work!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:22 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I feel for your frustration. I don't have any wieghtloss insight for you, just a plea to abandon the '215 by my birthday' target: I know from my own experience how mentally and emotionally unhealthy weight by date targets can be, they drove me mad, anyway.
For me, targets like trying to lose 14lbs by the Fall Equinox keep me focussed but trying to lose Xlbs by a particular date just sets me up to feel really lousy about myself on that date.
If you are the weight you are now on your birthday, you will be 31lbs lighter, 2.25 stone lighter than you were at the last one. Set yourself up to celebrate that!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:25 AM   #9  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Water isn't fat so don't let the number bother you, and while it's probably not much muscle in so little time you probably are building some (a weeeee little bit!) of that is the good stuff. Plus weight fluxuates from day to day. Try and not let the little ups and downs get to you.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #10  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

CM-
It's water weight and it will go as quickly as it came
When's your birthday?
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #11  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'm agree with the others that it's probably water weight from your new exercise routine. It will go down as your muscles get used to the idea of exercise

Also get rid of the time based goals you have for yourself. Establish a reward system for yourself...mine were all weight based (ie. when I get to 225lbs I will treat myself to a new pair of earrings from Claire's) but no time frame. You will find out your weight will go down but not at the rate that you want your body to. It's all good though as long as it just goes down right?

Are you writing everything down that you eat with point or calorie value? You said you were guessing that your calorie/point intake was the same. Are you going to meetings, at home online or just winging it by yourself? The reason I'm asking is because I'm eating 24 points at 164lbs....I just don't want to see you going in too low and stall out later on. Just keep following the healthy guidelines & it'll turn into a healthy lifestyle!

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 06-27-2009 at 09:24 AM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #12  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H View Post
The scale can be a vindicative heartless vixen who will leave you in tears and then crush you soul. She will tell you lies and spread rumours about you to her friends. Its true.

Anyway, yeah, you know you are doing the right thing and it is so much better to judge progress by how you feel and how your clothes fit. When I temporary break up with the scale (and I always take her back) I try to take waist measurements or see how my clothes fit as a real sign of progress.

Keep up the good work!
that's too funny, and so true. I always take her back too. I see that saying "I am not a number." when I look on the scale, I actually think of myself as a 246 (until it changes by 4 or 5 lbs). isn't that weird??

those little (by little I mean up to a couple of pounds) ups and downs can have such a mental effect on me, though over time I've gotten much calmer about it.

I agree with Kira, don't let the time goals drive you nuts.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #13  
Sheri

Height: 5'5"

This sounds really weird and I don't know if anyone else has this happen to them, but I get insomnia sometimes, and when I don't sleep, I weigh more on those mornings after than if I sleep well. LOL! I don't know what the medical reason is for that, but I guess the point is weird things can make you seem to weigh more, and then ina couple of days, its back to life as usual. I wouldnt worry unless it seems like its a trend.

You know its funny it just occurred to me that I always get so worried that something is wrong when I gain an unexpected pound, but if I lose an unexpected pound, I never question it! :P
EyeSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #14  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeSing View Post
You know its funny it just occurred to me that I always get so worried that something is wrong when I gain an unexpected pound, but if I lose an unexpected pound, I never question it! :P
I remember just recently reading this at another thread. true for me too.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #15  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I agree with everyone else. What a smart bunch!! I just wanted to add that to get rid of the water weight, start drinking more water along with your exercise. I think it is key to drink lots and lots of water.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote