PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #1  

Question Insulin Resistant 40 year old

I have been on Metformin and Spironolactone for over 6 years. Before I went on Met I lost 60 lbs with WW. Over the years I have gained most of it back and have started WW again as of this week. When I first went on Met I lost weight initially but have since gained that back too. So I am wondering if I will still be able to lose while taking Met.

I've got to do something because I am so tired all of the time. I know I also have a B12 deficiency because of the Metformin but the dr gave me a B12 injection a couple of weeks ago. I am hoping when I start losing weight again that I will be able to start walking again.

Has anyone had any luck with weight loss after years of being on Met?
Carilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #2  

Hi Carilynn,
I really can't remember how long I've been on met, but it's over 10 years. I haven't lost very much weight in that time, but I have not gained any either. I am around 30 lbs down from my highest weight and I'm working on losing much more. It is harder for me to lose on met but the benefits outweigh any thing else. For me metformin saved my life, and I know I can lose weight, it just takes a little longer.
Good luck on your weight loss journey
BEtte K
Bette k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #3  

Thanks for your reply! Congratualtions on your loss already! I am really trying my best to change my lifestyle, journal what I eat and lose weight to be healthy. I have a B12 deficiency because of the Metformin and have recently started getting shots after trying sublingual B12 vitamins.

The dietician my son and I go to told me to eat a fruit with every meal. And never eat fruit without a protein. Sounds weird but I am trying it.

I am trying to get my body use to be hungry sometimes too. To embrace the feeling of hunger instead of always feeling like I have to be stuffed to be satisfied. I am trying to think of light hunger as a good feeling. I am eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day trying to keep under 1800 calories for right now. I am eventually going to be down to 1200 calories a day but I am taking it slower to give my body time to understand its not going into starvation...lol

Anyways, glad to have found this board and people with similar problems
Carilynn is offline   Reply With Quote