Support Groups - Women of Color

Pages : [1] 2 3

View Full Version : Women of Color

beaka
06-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Hi, Ladies!

Iím so happy to be the one to start this thread! I see a lot of women of color on this site, and I thought we could use a group. This site is great, and I love being a part of other forums. However, I know there can be some weight loss issues that are unique to women of color due to having a different perspective on culture/body image. Hopefully this thread will grow to the point where we can have a new forum, so letís make it grow ladies!!! :carrot:

And letís remember, this isnít about segregating ourselves. This site is about support! Iíve gotten great support and met a lot of really cool chicks on this site. This is just another place to talk about weight loss or life issues with ladies whose background/perspective may be similar to yours.

Love you all! :hug:

CakeBatter
06-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Beaka - this an awesome thread. You are right there are issues unique to us when it comes to WL and body issues. Gurl I have been measuring my hindparts faithfully making sure I am not losing too much..! LoL.

grneyedmustang
06-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Hi ladies! :wave: Good to see you again!

beaka
06-25-2009, 02:48 PM
CAKE!!! Girl, why did I have a darn fit when I lost 1 inch off the booty!!! I can't afford to lose any!!! But I can say that it's taking on a much better shape ;)

Grneyemustang: ATL, Shawty!!!

Ya'll I definitely think this could be a great thread, so spread the word! If it ever becomes it's own forum, it has to grow. I just hate that it's over here. It's not too visible. But anyway! Glad you ladies posted!!!

bjeweled
06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
i am soooo glad that u started this beaka! i definitely had been thinking about it so when u and i spoke about it i was super excited.

i think that we have some issues that are definitely a little unique for example when i was skinny i prayed to be "thick" and boy did the Lord bless me tenfold ;) ha!

there are also some interesting facts about women of color and weight loss that we maybe would want to discuss.

if people dont mind i can try to find an article we could discuss every week just to try to keep the thread alive and so we can learn new things. let me know

i'm uber excited! ttyl

loveDC425
06-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Hii! Nice to meet you all. I do have a question though. I try to be part of a thread but I can never find them again haha.. so I saw the "subscribe to this thread" button and I am guessing that is how you follow them. But I subscribed to another one too but never got any email alerts yet and it was an active thread so I'm sure there were posts. How do I follow a thread exactly?
Thanks

beaka
06-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Brie: That's a great idea!!! It'll definitely mix it up... and why am I STILL praying for some booty?!?! Girl I wish I could get blessed tenfold with that!

LoveDC425: Go to your User CP> Click on "List Subscriptions"> Check the "Notifications" box next to this thread. So glad to have you!!! And I see you're in DC! I'll actually be moving to the area in a month or so. :)

Side note: Super excited about this thread... probably a little too excited. :p

OhPuhleezee
06-25-2009, 03:44 PM
It must be fate. i was thinking about starting the same thread just the other day. It's nice to have some people out there that understand.

candtlove
06-25-2009, 03:52 PM
I would love to join in on this thread.

bjeweled
06-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Hii! Nice to meet you all. I do have a question though. I try to be part of a thread but I can never find them again haha.. so I saw the "subscribe to this thread" button and I am guessing that is how you follow them. But I subscribed to another one too but never got any email alerts yet and it was an active thread so I'm sure there were posts. How do I follow a thread exactly?
Thanks

when u get to the subscribe options u have to choose email notifications and u can choose instantly, daily or weekly. if u leave it as is it will not send u email notifications. hope this helps!

k i will be researching my first article topic for tomorrow morning!

welcome everyone! :wave:

beaka
06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
:welcome2:

I was thinking maybe we should introduce ourselves:

Hey!!! I'm Beaka. I'm from Mississippi. Currently living in ATL and about to move to DC. I'm a health educator (obviously not in nutrition). I work in sexual health. I'm single with no children. I've been overweight my WHOLE life. This is actually the smallest I've been as an adult. At my largest I was a size 22. I'm currently a 16/18 and my goal is to be a 10/12. My current goal is to be under 200 lbs by my 25th birthday (August 23). I've been slacking off lately, so ya'll have permission to stay on me. I'm somewhat of a calorie counter. I watch what I eat. I try to stick to lean meats, whole grains, and fruits/veggies. I also work out about 4 times a week.

I usually hang out in the 20-somethings thread. So I'll be back and forth between here and there. I know some of you already and look forward to getting to know the rest. Weight loss is hard, but I know we can do it!!! :)

grneyedmustang
06-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Beaka, I saw someone who looked JUST LIKE YOU at the TJMaxx in Duluth, off Pleasant Hill Road, about a month ago. What a coincidence if it was you!!!

Hello to Cakebatter, Bejeweled, LoveDC425, OhPuleezee, and CandTlove!!!! :wave:

Since we're making introductions...my name is Paula - and I'm from the A-A-A-A!!! I work for a Software Company, and have also been overweight most of my life. At my smallest adult weight, I was 160 pounds, and that was after a bout of the chicken pox (I'd kill to be 160 now)! Anyway, I am currently on the South Beach Diet, have been for a year, and since I started dieting last May, I've lost 50 pounds!!! I'm currently having a difficult time because I've been in party mode since Memorial Day. My ultimate goal is to be a size 12, or maybe even a ten...but my first (major) goal is to get under 200 pounds.

Someone mentioned booty - I've never really had one, really wish I had one, so I'm hitting the squats and lunges in the gym, trying to get one!!! And the hair thing - don't get me started...reference the "hair maintenance for women of color" thread if needed... *sigh*

Good to meet you all!

/off topic RIP to Michael Jackson. He will surely be missed...May he have the peace he deserved.

kswood87
06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Hey Ladies!

I'm so excited about this thread and it came at a really good time. I've been reading a lot about weight loss for women in the afro american community and I've been trying to find weight loss blogs and such with women of color, but sadly I really haven't found too many.(If ya'll know some please let me know!) I think this thread is a great idea and I can't wait to get to know you ladies better.

Ok a little about me...I'm a 21 full time married college student. I'm nursing major and I have been overweight FOREVER, eh feels like it. Seriously though I dont think I've ever been smaller then a 14 except for a few months when I was a 12 a few years back. I've lost a little over 30lbs since I started this journey in March 09 and I basically calorie count and workout when I'm in the mood. When I lose a little more I do want to start hitting the gym more. Well that's about it.

beaka
06-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Grneye: I don't think it was me. I only really go out there when I take sewing classes. As for the booty, my trainer told me I should do more squats vs lunges to make it happen. You've lost a lot of weight so far!!! Way to go!

Kindra: Hi!!! So glad you've found a place! Plus, we're the same height and I want to get down to where you are!!! I'm looking forward to getting to know you too!

I'm about to get my butt in the bed.

RIP MJ and Farrah.

JasonsLea
06-26-2009, 12:50 AM
:wave: girls!

OMG crazy, just this morning I was checking my butt out in the mirror and praying that I don't lose it! I mean, it's already shrinking! :eek:

bjeweled
06-26-2009, 01:17 AM
dang! am i the only one trying to get rid of some of these childbearing hips and huge derriere lol i have it all! boobs, and butt and trust me yall can have some of each and i'd still be cool.

anywho,
i'm brie, 26 born, raised and currently reside in kansas city missouri but will prob be relocating back to st louis mo where i lived for 9 years by next year. i just graduated with my bachelors in sports management and am taking pre-requisite classes to go back to school to get my doctor of physical therapy. i plan to get my personal training certifications in the mean time as i love to help people and have a new found passion for fitness and nutrition. ive only been overweight since i was about 18 or 19. i was a very skinny child then an athletic hourglass in high school with horrible body image issues. in college i stopped working out and began eating badly and due to a bout with clinical depression and high doses of steroids from another illness here i am at 3FC at least 30 pounds overweight plus. i started out at 210 and have gotten down to 179 at a time but gained it back and here i am again restarting for the last time! my goal is 150 pounds but may end up lower because my body frame is quite small and my doc thinks 150 may be too big.
i would love to move to atlanta, ga but they dont have many PT programs so i am stuck in the midwest for at least another 4-5 years :(

i am cal counting using fatsmash and abs diet for women principles and i plan to work out 5-6x a week its the only way my body responds.

cant wait to hear everyones intros. mine is long cause i am long winded lol

candtlove
06-26-2009, 03:40 PM
i am love, a 33 year old married mom. i also have been overweight my entire life. at my highest, i was just short of 400lbs. i managed to lose down to 339 and sadly started to gain some back. i am now at 364 and starting to work on losing again. i attended a ww meeting which i soon found just wasn't for me so i started just following th eplan from home and slowly i'm seeing results. i've managed to lose my first 6.8 lbs so far. i'm not sure what i want my goal to be at this point but for a short term goal, i'm hoping to be 25-30 lbs lighter by halloween.

i've lurked on 3fc for awhile before actually joining the site. i've got an incredible amt of inspiration for here too. it's amazing how many people have had so many great results on this site. i look forwar to getting to know you ladies more and watching as we each meet our goals.

beaka
06-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Brie: Um... what's up with that article? :p

Love: Hi! You're already on your way. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll definitely reach your goal. :)

Devsmama
06-26-2009, 05:51 PM
hello everybody

bjeweled
06-26-2009, 11:47 PM
lol well I have a good reason for not having the article up. I got called for an interview for a full time position with benefits. so I've been busy getting ready for that. and I interviewed 2day and got called back for a second interview tomorrow! I pray I get this job it will be such a blessing and something I can stick with. so I will shoot for sunday or monday for the article ;-) promise.

beaka
06-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi Devsmama!!!

Brie: That is so great!!! I hope you get it! That is a totally ok reason to not have an article. I wish you the best of luck on the interview!

CakeBatter
06-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Chello Darlings,

I'm Ashlan. People call me Ash. I am 25 until August. I started my WL Journey AUgust 28, 2008. I am 45 weeks in and to date have lost 44 pounds. I still have 6 to go to meet my original goal of 165. But the closer I get the more I am re-considering my goal. But we will see. I am been overweight my WHOLE life. It has been a struggle for years but I really think I have gotten a much better handle on it this time. I am so excited about this thread and chatting with you all about our unique issues.

As of right now my battle is "being too skinny". What is too skinny. Also the comments that comes along with that. With a temper like mine I need to be prepared for that.

bjeweled
06-28-2009, 03:37 AM
Soooo I cant sleep, I took a long nap cause I wasnt feeling well and I wanted us to discuss Ashlan's concern.

QOTD??? -What is "too skinny"? Do you have reservations about getting "too small" for cultural norms? Why is it so different for us? How can we handle these comments?

i'll repy when i have more brain power tomorrow lol

beaka
06-28-2009, 11:01 AM
CAKE: Is your b-day on the 28th? Mine is on the 23 and I'll be 25 too. I want to be under 200 lbs by then, so I need to get my butt in gear. I really think you're awesome, and you've come so far. I STILL look at your pics and am amazed. You're one of the people that keeps me motivated. :hug:

QOTD Thoughts:
What is "too skinny"? I think that too skinny is a weight that you really have to struggle to maintain and where you cross over into looking sickly (like ribs showing). I never want to not have a womanly shape. I don't think BMI is an accurate indicator. It doesn't take enough things about the individual into account. My goal weight is still considered "overweight" by BMI standards.

Do you have reservations about getting "too small" for cultural norms? I do. But I think the way people look at you is a lot different when you've been overweight your whole life. My own mother (who was thin growing up and thinks she's huge now as a 5'9" size 16 woman) says I shouldn't go below a size 12 when I told her my goal size was a 10. I'm at my smallest adult weight so I have no idea how I'll look as I lose weight, but I know I wanna keep these breasts and hips and booty and just lose the rolly stomach in between. Sometimes I tell my friends the if I could just move my stomach fat to my booty, I'd be a happy camper. ;) I think my goal isn't being thin. It's being fit. There's a difference. People concerned with being thin don't necessarily go about weight loss the right way. I'm trying to only make changes that I can live with for life.

Why is it so different for us?
I just think we appreciate a woman being a woman with all the curves. Having an exxagerated female form (bigger butt and breasts) kinda makes you more appealing. I've heard plenty of times, "Only a dog wants a bone." Plus, I'm from Mississippi. I think when you're in a setting with more overweight people, it makes it even more acceptable. And it's not just our culture. During the Renaissance period Ruben (who painted healthy females) was huge. Somewhere along the way it just wasn't cool for the WASPs anymore.

How can we handle these comments?
Some people might get cursed out. :p It's just part of life. You will always have haters. Anytime you try to better yourself, it comes with the territory. For the number of people commenting on your weight loss, just think of the number of people who had something to say when you were at your heaviest. That's why I like having a space like this where there are other people who understand. Weight loss ain't for sissies. :D

Ok... I'm done rambling... about to start braiding my hair. :)

coco_chanell
06-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Hello Ladies, I'm so glad I found this thread. Now I can vent to you guys instead of my bf who I'm sure could care less about my daily weight related issues lol.

My name is Chanell I live in Detroit by way of Flint, MI. I'm 31 in a LTR with a great guy and I work in mental health. I've been living a low carb lifestyle since Oct 08. I had lost 40 lbs btwn Halloween and Easter but have gained back 6 lbs. I'm tring to lose these last 15 once and for all. My goal weight is 185, which i feel is good for my curvy frame. Plus gotta keep the booty for the bf...u feel me ;) LOL.

In my opinion "too skinny" is subjective. Height, shape/build and personal preference must be taken into consideration. Personally...even tho 150 is an average weight for someone my height I would probably look unhealty at 150 because for one I've never been thin and for two I have a very curvy figure with a heavy chest, childbearing hips and butt 4 days that I would like to keep :D So, really i think it just depends on the person.

Have a great week. :carrot:

sweetshauna
06-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey lovely ladies,

Great thread! I'd love to be a part of it.

~shauna~

CakeBatter
06-29-2009, 12:49 PM
First of all ya'll Know i could talk about this for days right.

Beaka my B-day is 8/31....HOLLA!

QOTD
What is "too Skinny" IDK that is why I asked ya'll. Okay this going to sound super stupid and self concious.....but......All my life i have been overweight right. And I have been known as the "girl with the big booty" it is like that is all I was known for other than being "light-skin" it so stupid. Anyway...my sisters got tiny waists and small chests that didn't need bras in those "shelf bra" shirts. As I have started losing weight my butt is going. not the overall shape but difinitely the size,. I actually like it but I feel Like I am losing my "thing". I know stupid right. Anyway I am in a 10 now but I am looking to an 8 but I am scared to death I am gonna be a no boob, no butt having rail. And my BF keeps asking how "low" am i gonna go.

Also I want lifetime at WW but to get that I am supposed to be 137...uhm can we say **** no! I probably won't go past 150.

Do you have reservations about getting "too small" for cultural norms? Yes I do I guess. I love being black and the unique looks that come along with it. My grandmother is white,which is where I get my fair skin I got all my father otherwise. I loved my body 44 pounds ago just hated my stomach. Now I really love my body but I don't want anything else to go for fear of being too skinny. As of right now I am still obese according to BMI at 171!

Why is it so different for us? IDK it feels like we are competing against every other woman sometimes. You know everything but black. Like we are always being compared to them. I mean our shapes are our thing that make us different from the other types of women I guess and if we lose that then what are our differences? Okay did I say that right. I love black and I love being different in that aspect. I hope I am not whiny ya'll. I am pretty confident in my appearance especially these days but at the ame time I do thinka bout these things.

How can we handle these comments? I be ready to cuss a mofo out straight the f*** up! I mean for real just because we black and "Fit" we gotta be on a crazy diet or self-conscious. Ppl got stuff to say about me working out and running and not wanting to every damn thing in site. It gets annoying!

I know I got off on a tangent but I am all over the place with this topic.

bjeweled
06-30-2009, 12:07 AM
QOTD??? -What is "too skinny"? Do you have reservations about getting "too small" for cultural norms? Why is it so different for us? How can we handle these comments?

hmmm too skinny to me is being a size that u cant live a normal life with. like you are always on diet mode cause the slightest change causes u to gain. u should be comfortable at goal not too easily gaining or losing. ummm for me too skinny would be anything under 140. i know i am tall but my body frame is small so i prob can stand to be smaller but dont wanna

i dont have reservations at all lol. i had hips and thighs at 100 pounds and 5'6" thats just how i am built my hips are wide and my thighs are naturally bigger. my butt wasnt anything great but it was big enough. when i was 140 i had an hourglass shape and my butt was sitting up like an onion lmao sooo i know that even if i get really small my shape is my shape. it wont change too much just less of me but i will always have boobs, thighs, hips and butt. i wont magically turn into cameron diaz lol. my risk for heart disease and diabetes is very high so i have no choice in my mind and in my docs but to get below the high weight for my bmi. so its not hard for me to want to get there my life depends on it.

i think its different for us for a number of reasons. like cake said we r always competing with every other race of women and we like to keep what makes us different. curvy bodies, unique derriere's etc. and if u date african american men most want u to have a "little meat on your bones" waifs arent very popular in our culture. sooo for us i think its harder to get to say a healthy weight by bmi standards cause it seems too skinny. to be quite frank ive always heard from family friends that "only a dog wants a bone" and u dont want to be skinny "like a white girl" but then again we fail to be upset about type 2 diabetes, heart disease and obesity killing us day by day...

umm i just ignore ppl and like beaka said sometimes u have to just let ppl have it! mind ya business! i have an ex that did not like me losing weight but hey if he didnt like it he could beat it! i'm not married so whatever! and if i was i would tell my husband to shove it if he wants me to live! this is my life that i am fighting for so kiss my wrist if u have a problem with me losing weight or being healthy i look and feel fly. what about u? lol

CakeBatter
06-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Okay. I feel totally stupid. I thought maybe someone could relate. I like the way I look right now and I probably will in ten pounds. Brie I totally understand about what you mean about your life depending on it. My mother is very overweight and I will be right in her footsteps if I don't control this now. I am at risk for diabetes and we have a history of heart disease. I love being fit....each day I go to the gym or run 6 miles or even one I feel like I I just conquered the world. I guess my appearance should be the least of my worries but let's face it is a concern. And I too know that I won't magically wake up Cameron Diaz, I will always have some shape. But sometimes I feel like my mind is not in the same shape as my body like it is not caught up or something or I don't see what everyone else sees.

And when I start have to be on a diet to maintain, then I am definitely too skinny. I did not come all this way to stay on a strict diet the rest of my life. A healthy diet but not a strict one.

loveDC425
06-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Hey everyone- sorry I been a little MIA- I haven't been getting notifications every time someone posts- only every so often so I didn't realize there were so many posts already!

So I am from the dirty Jerz but I am living/working in DC now, and i LOVE it. I love the city, the nightlife, the people, everything! I am 23 years old as of April 25 and I started at my highest weight of 208 in December but now I have come down to 193, so about 15 pounds down. My next mini goal is to get to 186 by August 4th because I am going to Las Vegas!!! I was going WW for a while then I tried JC for a month, but I am going back to WW this week because JC is just way too expensive for me.

Now I see a lot of you mentioning the afro american cultural norms, although I am not that, I am Indian so I figured I still count as a woman of color! But I do often deal with issues in the sense that, since I do have quite a few afro american friends, they all think I look great and fine and need to stop worrying about my weight, (the big boobs/big booty- everything you guys mentioned!). but on the other hand my Indian parents think I look hideous because they are with the whole fit and healthy body and looking good for your husband (you know the whole Indian arranged marriage thing- WTF!?).. anyways I find myself often caught between my parents telling me I need to loose weight and my friends telling me to stop trying. So it gets kind of frustrating because either way I go I don't feel like I don't have support on one or the other sides.

But I keep telling myself I am doing this for ME>.. and not for my friends.. and not for me to get a good looking husband according to my parents lol.

I think too skinny is when you just straight up look unhealthy and boney!

I don't think I have too many reservations about getting small for cultural norms but I have gotten comments that 'don't loose that behind' and etc etc.. but at this point I don't care too much because half my skirts look a hot mess because my hump is so big it uses more cloth and then my skirt in the back comes up short and the front looks long- so it looks bad0 i kinda want to loose that.

I think we can handle these comments by realizing we are doing this for ourselves to look and feel how we want to, and doing it to receive comments by our own eyes in the mirrors and not others!!

Much LOVE and great meeting you all!!

candtlove
06-30-2009, 01:38 PM
okay, i am way behind. i'll have to get caught up a little later. i gained 1 lb this week so hopefully it will come off plus some next week. bbl

bjeweled
06-30-2009, 02:00 PM
cake! i totally understand what yr saying. and i can relate i have felt the way you feel. i sometimes do still feel that way. but for me i decided that i gotta do what the doc says since he told me i would prob have a heart attack by 30 if i dont get the weight off yikes!

i kno how u feel its like i have plenty people telling me yr getting "tiny" and its like ummm no i'm not so it makes u second guess yrself. and it takes yr mind longer to lose the weight than your body girl. u have to give it time but just think everyday how strong u are compared to how u were! u are amazing!

i def can relate i was just sharing how i have come to deal with it. so dont feel stupid at all i'm sure there are a million others with the same concerns
love u! hope this helps

:welcome3: lovedc, coco, shauna, candt and anyone else i missed!

CakeBatter
06-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Well I must say that does make me feel better. I thought I was an alien for a second.....lol

You are going to do great at WI. We weigh the same day...yay. I am textn your hindparts! lol

CakeBatter
07-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I went for an joy jog last nite ( a run just for the fun of it) it was awesome. No ipod, gps or anything. And I guess I am not too skinny by the looks I got from the guys...lol. I passed by a glass building and I couldn't believe I was actually looking like a runner.!!!! :)

nonabee
07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Nona, I'm 33 from da Chi (Chicago), in a LTR, no kids, a full-time student and employed full-time as a Records Specialist at a law firm.

Some of you may have seen me in other forums (300+ Positive Uplifting Notification & Hair Maintenance For Women of Color threads). Thanks so much for PMing me about this thread Bjeweled. I look forward to making new cyber friends here and sharing stories and opinions with you ladies.

Devsmama
07-01-2009, 04:39 PM
What's up Nona? Where ya been?

Devsmama
07-01-2009, 04:47 PM
I guess I should properly introduce myself: My name is Shia, I live in Kentucky-the northern part near Cincinnati, OH-single mom (son 14), 34-have a great life. I have to lose weight because of health reasons and quite frankly big girl style is played out. I'm glad this forum was started, we needed it. I'm not looking to get down too far, I love my T&A, just want a tiny tummy. I actually love the shape of my thighs, I just don't love the fat on them. So I lift heavy weights, 4 times a week and do cardio probably 6 times a week. My favorite body part to workout are my legs-go figure.

CakeBatter
07-01-2009, 05:09 PM
hello NONA!

Shia - I love to workout my legs too. And I can you are slimming down quite nicely...you go gurl!

candtlove
07-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Well sistas, I am tired today. I am at 2 days of serious workouts! Yetserdays question, what is too skinny? Idk. All of my life I have had huge hips and booty and even at my lower weights, I've never been considered too skinny. I'm really not sure what I want my goal weight to be. Right now, I just plan to lose and when I feel comfortable, I guess that will be my goal. It doesn't really matter what anyone else think as long as I'm comfy with my look. kwim?

bjeweled
07-01-2009, 09:10 PM
sooo eating is on point still havent gotten back in the gym. i dont have any outdoor places to go workout like i did in stl and i hate it! summer is my best working out time cause i am outside everyday. kc is way too crime ridden lol i would be on CNN for sure. sooo i guess i just have to be patient and wait till i get a job and get paid so i can join a gym. i know i need to be exercising to lose thats how my body works. oh how i miss my big park in stl lol and my own apartment for that matter...

beaka
07-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Welcome to all the new ladies!!!

cantlove: I'm totally with you. I'm just changing my lifestyle and watching my body change. When I'm ready to stop, I'll just maintain.

Cake: You are doing the dang thang!!! You ARE a runner! You don't just look like one. You're running for "fun." It's in you now!!! :carrot:

nonabee: Oooh!!! You get to go to the Taste of Chicago! I'm so jealous. Girl, I LOVE to eat!!! We're glad you joined us!

I'm wishing I could be like ya'll with all this talk of having booty. I swear even now that I'm losing weight, it's all coming off the bottom. My arms still feel huge to me. I wanna focus on working them out more. My breasts are the same size. I just don't want to get all disproportionate and crazy looking.

I'm getting ready to head to Essence this weekend. I'm sure I'll do a lot of walking, but I know there'll be drinking and eating so I gotta keep myself in check. I got a few outfits, and I feel good about them. I got some size 16 bottoms from Gap including a cute mini skirt. I even got a size Large skirt from Target (probably cuz I have no booty). I'm excited to be going on vacation and feeling better about my body. I've come a long way from my size 22. :) YAY! Anybody else goin to Essence?

sweetshauna
07-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm wishing I could be like ya'll with all this talk of having booty. I swear even now that I'm losing weight, it's all coming off the bottom. My arms still feel huge to me. I wanna focus on working them out more. My breasts are the same size. I just don't want to get all disproportionate and crazy looking.

Di-tto beaka. Anyone have any exercise video suggestions for keeping the booty in check? Mine is definitely getting flatter as the months go by. :(

CakeBatter
07-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Sweet shauna and beaka- you can get bit of a booty by just making it muscle. This will require squats and lunges and last but not least the arc trainer set as hard as you can move it. It takes some time but it works! My *** really looks like two lil balls of muscle now. Plus my booty-challnged friend of 7 yrs started this a while back and now has one cute lil proportionate to her size. I was like wow! U go chic!

Devsmama
07-02-2009, 08:48 AM
LOL @ cakebatter....I do alot of lunges, squats, deadlifts, and treadmill walking on a high incline. I have a naturally huge booty and I'm kind of glad it went down a bit but its still huge, like Serena Williams huge. I have to have the waists of my pants taken in because the waist doesn't fit. Actually I'm probably in a 16 or 18 now and afraid to try on a smaller size.

Going to the gym today, its leg day!

candtlove
07-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Beaka- I'm ashamed to say that I'm from New Orleans and have never been to Essence. I made to plans to go this year but didn't even realize the time is here and now.

SweetShauna- I did a strength toning dvd that looks like it defined my booty more but no loss. My just refuse to dwindle.

Cake- my strength toning dvd have you doing lunges, squats and leg lifts and mine stayed the same. It may be a bit firmer but still big.

Devsmama- lol. Don't feel bad. I'm in that Serena Williams Club too.

Well, I wanna go get my nails done today so dh will have the kids so I can pamper myself. I plan to do another day of exercise so I can reach my goal for the week.

grneyedmustang
07-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Ladies!!! Happy Thursday/Friday!!!!

Devsmama, good to see you! And I wish I had the Serena Williams booty...but I'm working on it. Hitting the squats and lunges very hard in the gym!

Cakebatter, congrats on "being a runner"!!!

And as for "being too skinny" - I'd like to be a size 12 - maybe a size 10. I really just want to be comfortably back on the normal folks side of the store, never to have a W behind my size ever again.

beaka
07-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Ok... so Serena Williams has my dream booty. :o

Candtlove: Girl, it's like that when you live somewhere I think. No one actually goes to the stuff in their own town.

Cake: I'm definitely gonna work on it. My priority right now is getting this belly down though.

Devsmama: Have a good workout!

I'm over here laying out outfits for Essence to throw in the bag. I'll drive home (to Mississippi) in the wee hours of the morning. Take the train to NO with friends, come back to MS on Monday and kick it at home a couple of days. I hope you all have a great holiday weekend! Foor those of you who added me on Facebook, pics will be coming!

coco_chanell
07-02-2009, 11:46 PM
bejewled- u seem so motivated 2 workout...i need 2 get there. I have a treadmill at home but no motivation 2 get on it. I do eat on plan tho. but its like I never do both at the same time...gotta do better

beaka- Essence sounds like so much fun. I've never been 2 NO but gotta make that happen. hope u have a ball!

shauna & cake- the stairmaster set 2 a high resistance would prob help firm up the butt. it gave me a lot of lower body muscle but I had 2 stop because that wasn't my goal, I wanted 2 lose first.

devsmama- I feel u on that...i can only get pants from certin stores that actually fit me the right way.

candtlove- a day of pampering is always deserved. I have 2morrow off so I'm gonna treat myself 2 :)

mustang- I felt the same way about my big clothes. as soon as they got 2 big I gave them away because I vow 2 never be that size again. and I use my current clothes as a measure...when they start 2 feel snugg I pull myself back on track.

CakeBatter
07-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Shia and Coco - I don't know if yall are interested or not but there is a jean company called PZI. They go up to an 18 but are made exactly for this problem. Now I don't have no Serena Williams booty.....LAWD knows I wish I did....lol but i get that big ole gap at my waist cause i do have a little junk. Anyway these jeans are the best fitting jeans ever! you should check out the website.

Shia - I went into PACSUN (surf and board) shop to get a couple cheap shirts and what not. Anyway I got bold and tried on a size 9. Puh-Leze. I don't what I was thinking. That store is dillards, macy nor jcpenny's. it is like a little teenie-bopper store so you everything is jrs fitting. I am still an 11 in those stores and maybe even a 13 in some.....it was still fun to think I could fit anything in store like that.

Beaka - I wish I was going to Essence. Maybe I will look into going to this next year. Have fun.

Coco - I did the same thing. as soon as my clothes were too big. haha

Mustang - TY. And it does feel good to just be normal about clothes.

For me I am still resting for the race. Boo. I feel lazy not working out. I ate at Red Robin last night. It was good but not good enuff for that amount of points. The boy has gone to the gym but when he gets back I am gonna have on bathing suit.....cause he is taking me to the beach.....lol. Then I think we are going to see transformers. hope ya'll have a good day.

Devsmama
07-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Cake-I'm gonna look those jeans up. I did go to Gap Outlet and tried on 16s and 18s and I fit both. I fit 18s the best, but with some stretch in the fabric, the 16s slide right on too. That felt really good.

I want to go to the Essence festival, hopefully I will get a chance to do that soon, my son is getting older, so hopefully I can get out to do more. So, I didn't make it to the gym yesterday, going today, the whole pants thing really has me motivated.

Have a nice and safe holiday weekend!!

candtlove
07-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Hey ladies. I didn't get in a good workout today but did enough walking to count as something. A few of my friends are here for Essence so we're planning to get together before they leave town.

Happy 4th Everyone!! I just signed up fpr facebook yesterday so when finished, I'll gladly add you all. I saw someone mention facebook when I scanned through the posts.

coco_chanell
07-04-2009, 10:01 AM
thnx cake, i've heard of those before, i'm gonna look into finding a pair.

Happy 4th erbody!

JasonsLea
07-04-2009, 04:57 PM
HAPPY JULY 4TH! :celebrate:

What's everyone doing today? Me, I'm at work. But it's cool, things have been actually ok at work for the last two weeks. I actually don't care anymore, I'm career now so the kiddie gloves are off! :lol: I'm making my holiday money today and I took off for tomorrow. Sounds like a great weekend to me. :)

Yesterday, Mrs. A took me around looking for apartments. They were all closed for the holidays but I got the names and numbers. I'm going to be calling about prices on Monday and Thursday, Mrs. A is taking me to go look at the ones I choose. I should be getting my TSP withdrawal around Thursday so I'll be able to put my deposit and first month's rent down (I'm not moving till August though).

I've been missing my mama's cooking like crazy lately. :(

Will try to post more tonight. Peace, loves! :grouphug:

coco_chanell
07-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey ladies, hope you all had a great holiday. I didn't do 2 bad with my eating and i'm back on track today. :carrot:

Have you ever had ppl make inappropriate remarks while you are eating? Like can/should you eat that? WTF:mad: I'm very capable of deciding what goes in my own mouth. Haters keep me motivated but it still pisses me off sometimes. Especially comments from judgemental loved ones :?:

nonabee
07-05-2009, 03:39 PM
CakeBatter - Joy jogging? Can't wait to get there. You are an inspiration to me. :hug: Congrats on liking what you saw in that reflection!

Devsmama - Shia I've been a little under the weather :barf:, but I've been posting on PUN.

beaka - Girl, I'm not going to the Taste! :nono: I hate crowds and unfortunately some ppl don't know how to go out & have a good time w/o being obnoxious. :rolleyes: I thought about going there on my lunch hour cause I work downtown, but I didn't. But those BBQ'd Turkey Legs were calling me. :hun: Like you told Candtlove, "No one actually goes to the stuff in their own town."

Like, I love the BB Hair Show where you live, but I bet you hardly go, right? Have fun @ Essence!

JasonsLea
07-05-2009, 04:13 PM

I hope everyone had a great day yesterday!

CoCo ~ Thankfully, I've never had to deal with any of those comments from my family or friends. I had enough from people at school and such. :hug:

Someone mentioned sizes, I would love to be a size 12 or 10. It depends on how I look.

WI was today and I'm down 2.2 this week. :D

I think it helps that I'm not stuffing myself at work. I just haven't had the urge. I guess because mentally I'm free from that place. So when the sups piss me off, I snap back then laugh! I'm also off alot this month. I took today off and three days the week after next for Sunshine's wedding. By the time I get back, it'll be towards the end of July. I looked on the schedule yesterday and realized that not only do I have the payday before my birthday off, I also have my birthday and the day after off! :carrot: Hopefully, when August comes around, I'll have another position, either in the hospital or somewhere else. :crossed:

Today's plans include lazying around the house, looking up apartments, and a little organizing.

TTYL! :grouphug:

CakeBatter
07-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Yo I am triiiiiiping today. But I today is almost over and I am just going to not worry about it and be on track tomorrow. Anyway. I had a banging weekend. Really. Tomorrow is back to working out, cooking, working and what not. But I am well rested.

My race went well. Finished in 56 minutes. the route was hilly but I managed and it felt real good. Then the boy and I went to harbor fest for the 4th it was really nice. I am busy getting together before and afters on photobucket and when they are sone I am gonna post them so ya'll can see.

Coco- Yes I have those comments everyone in a while, and it does piss me off. I just say eff em. You said it right...."haters keep you going".

Nona - Yes I love the sport. I also like wearing the cute outfits...but don't tell nobody....shhhhh

CakeBatter
07-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Heeeeey Chickies! Good morning! SO yesterday turned out to be wash for me but today I am ready to be POP! I have my food packed and points/calories already counted out for the day...except dinner which is not a problem. I got my gym bag in the car and I ready for a healthy day.

Hope ya'lls mornings are great and everyone had a great weekend!

grneyedmustang
07-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Have you ever had ppl make inappropriate remarks while you are eating? Like can/should you eat that? WTF:mad: I'm very capable of deciding what goes in my own mouth. Haters keep me motivated but it still pisses me off sometimes. Especially comments from judgemental loved ones :?:

Ahhh, the food police. Love them (rolls eyes). I usually tell people that what I'm doing is working for me weightlosswise, so they shouldn't worry themselves with what I put in my mouth.

How was everyone's 4th? Cakebatter, congrats on your race! :)

candtlove
07-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Coco- I feel ya. I've had people make those remarks and it really p*sses me off! My dh used to do that to me. It really got under my skin b/c he's overweight too. He just recently realized that we're in the same boat and asked me to help him to lose.

JasonsLea- congrats on you loss & gl with the apartment hunting.

CakeBatter- You've done a gr8 job on your loss. Your goal is right there. You're a real inspiration.

Good Morning to everyone else. I've been watching the weather and plan to get outdoors to day. I just couldn'y bring myself to go out in that 100 degree weather but we're expecting rain for the next few days so it may be safe to go out.

bjeweled
07-07-2009, 07:50 PM
hey ya'll

ive been in stl since thurs and i got back last night. saw a lot of my friends saw my nieces everyday and had a great time.

needless to say my eating was out the door and we wont discuss the ridiculous amount of adult beverages i consumed lol. but today is a new day and i have no trips, vacas etc planned. so i am going to do this thing right. i am going to join the gym tomorrow so there will be no excuses.

i give all of you permission to go off on me if i do not work out tomorrow. this has got to stop. and what didnt help was i got all the good male attention this weekend in stl. i was like the new hot chick! lol funny how no one ever noticed me when i lived there. :p

i read everything but am too lazy to do personals lol. i will check back later

dr_roxy
07-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey Ladies,

I'm usually a lurker but would love to join this thread. I have gained so much info from this site. A little about me....I'm 28 and live in Texas. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. I thought I was huge in high school at a size 8, but what I wouldn't give to get back there now! However, I'm on my way. I know it takes time to make positive lifestyle changes, but sometimes it seems so hard to stay committed and focused. I'm glad for this outlet with each of you. It definantly helps to have folks to relate to.

On a side note, bejewled what's good in KC? I'll be there in a few weeks for a conference.

bjeweled
07-08-2009, 02:34 PM
:wave: hey ishllemor! welcome!

kc is pretty boring but the power and light district is a lot of fun. i can try to find out for you but i just moved back here myself.

whoever mentionedpzi jeans i have a couple pair and i love them! no gaps and they are sexy! pzijeans.com should tell u where they sell them in your area

would you chickies be interested in some mini challenges to help keep the thread alive? if so, any suggestions? i would be happy to keep all the info together and help come up with them if ppl are interested. let me know

sweetshauna
07-08-2009, 03:27 PM
would you chickies be interested in some mini challenges to help keep the thread alive? if so, any suggestions? i would be happy to keep all the info together and help come up with them if ppl are interested. let me know

Most def! Great idea jewel!:hug:

JasonsLea
07-08-2009, 03:44 PM
:wave: ladies!

Nothing much on this side of San Anto. Apartment hunting is the game of the day tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Both my hair and my feet look atrocious! A little over a week before the wedding, so ready to see my family and friends again!

candtlove
07-09-2009, 08:41 AM

sure, but what?

ot: is anyone planning to watch entertainment tonight tonight? i saw a brief clip of "debbie rowe's plastic surgery nightmare". the bottom part of her face was so abnormally big. she looked awful!!

dr_roxy
07-09-2009, 11:17 AM
A challenge sounds great to me! Anything that keeps us accountable towards our goals I think would be good. Now until Labor Day may be a good time frame. What do you ladies think?

Bejewled, I think I will be staying in the Lights district in KC.

Devsmama
07-09-2009, 06:23 PM
A challenge sounds good. How was the essence festival?

My 4th was good, I had to work, but I did get to spend some time with someone kind of special to me...lol..

beaka
07-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey Ladies! I really need to get my butt in gear. My vacation was a slippery slope to not eating right and exercising. And the thing is that I KNOW I'll feel better when I work out... so why don't I do it?!?!?!

Essence Festival was GREAT! Beyonce puts on a heck of a show. Definitely worth seeing if you ever get the chance. And she is FLAWLESS!!!

I've started going through all my stuff for the move. Why do I already have 4 bags of clothes I don't want anymore and I'm not even done yet. Not to mention the old purses and shoes I gotta bag up too. It's all going to the Goodwill. This whole packing myself up is really starting to feel a bit overwhelming. But I will have a whole week after my last day of work to get it together.

Anyways... I still need to get my butt in the gym. Gonna go to Turbo Kick tomorrow morning. I hope all of you ladies are enjoying your weekend. :)

JasonsLea
07-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Hey everyone.

Sorry I've been MIA. I've been feeling crappy lately. I realized that I wasn't going to be able to afford the ticket to go back home this month. :( So I'm going to miss Sunshine's wedding and god knows when I will have another chance to see my family and friends again. I just feel so horrible about it and have been eating like there is no tomorrow. So, my WI tomorrow is probably going to be very bad. :(

beaka
07-12-2009, 03:01 AM
JasonsLea: Awww! :hug:

Maybe it's time for us to have a challenge. Brie and I talked about that. It seems like with everything going on this summer a lot of people are getting a little off track and could use a little extra support. At least I know I do! I'm up a few pounds and have come too far to let myself start gaining this weight back.

Also, I know for a lot of us this site is the only support system we have in weight loss. On a personal level, I'm really starting to look at some of my friends. Some of them are becoming "frenemies" on the slick side. Some people seem to be fine with who you are until you start doing better than them- whether it's in weight loss, your career, or whatever. But let me stop... that's my own personal rant for the day. :dizzy:

chavwright
07-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi, everyone,
I would really like to join this thread. I think it's great to get and give weight loss support to my fellow sisters.

As far as introductions, my name is Chavonne and I live in Pittsburgh with my husband and two pups. I am a domestic violence advocate and going to school part-time to get my MSW. I like to read, write, and cook/bake.

I have been fat for just about forever. My goal is to lose 120 pounds to get down to 150.

I wish you all the best as we all try to lose weight! Also, I love the idea of a challenge. I always need a way to stay motivated.

beaka
07-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Welcome Chavonne! That's great work that you do! We're glad to have you! :)

dr_roxy
07-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey Everybody,

I hope you all had a fun weekend. It's definantly time for a challenge!

Beaka, I feel you on the 'frenemies' issue. You're not the only the one. However, there's always a bright spot and ours is that we've found each other for support and accountability to keep going until we reach our goals. We got this!

Cali Doll
07-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Brie:
And I see you're in DC! I'll actually be moving to the area in a month or so. :)

Nice! I am in Northern Virginia!

Hi ladies! I am glad to see this thread. :carrot:

Cali Doll
07-12-2009, 09:58 PM
As far as introductions, my name is Chavonne and I live in Pittsburgh with my husband and two pups.

Yay!!! Even though I live in NoVa now, I was born and raised in PGH! Go Steelers! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

bjeweled
07-12-2009, 10:46 PM
well i will come up with some mini challenges this week. i will prob start one on wednesday. im excited!

i need something to keep me on track with exercsing regularly so the first challenge will prob be an exercise challenge :)

alright the WOC thread is getting sexy summer of 09! lets get it! :carrot::carrot:

NishKitten
07-13-2009, 08:27 AM
*Drops in like Mary Poppins* I'm here! :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: to everyone!

You already know what i've been up to. I haven't been hitting the gym at all during the last four weeks, but i'm down to a solid 132 pounds and I have been working it out (in Spanish!) Trust me. :D

I think I might finally have a job, so wish me luck on that!

Brie, an exercise challenge would be awesome. I need something to distract me before I kill this dude from exhaustion. :p What did you have in mind?

CakeBatter
07-13-2009, 10:42 AM
HEY GIRRRRLS! What a weekend! I have eaten everything not nailed down not to mention a fifth of Patron last night and a fifth of Remy on Friday. I have been doing okay on the gym but LAWD my eating is the pitts. IDK KNOW WHAT IT IS ABOUT THE SUMMER......but it is harder to stay on track

Cali - **** Yeah GOOOOOO steelers!. My BF and I have a Steelers Car I am gonna post a pic of it later

Jasonslea - Aww boo. that sux about not being able to go home. Sorry. But we can work on you looking your very best by the time you dDO get there....

Nish - hey HUN. Crossing my fingers for the job

Chav - WELCOME!

Beaka - If I ever got the chance to see her in person I would. She is a great entertainer. A week should be enough time. Just do a little bit each day. Do get stressed

chavwright
07-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Hey Everybody,

I hope you all had a fun weekend. It's definantly time for a challenge!

Beaka, I feel you on the 'frenemies' issue. You're not the only the one. However, there's always a bright spot and ours is that we've found each other for support and accountability to keep going until we reach our goals. We got this!

I feel you both on this one. I have a good "friend" who actually mocked me for being so serious about my weight loss efforts. It's hard with people like that around me, so I'm doing my best to avoid the negative energy. So glad I've got support elsewhere! :)

chavwright
07-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey everyone.

Sorry I've been MIA. I've been feeling crappy lately. I realized that I wasn't going to be able to afford the ticket to go back home this month. :( So I'm going to miss Sunshine's wedding and god knows when I will have another chance to see my family and friends again. I just feel so horrible about it and have been eating like there is no tomorrow. So, my WI tomorrow is probably going to be very bad. :(

I'm so sorry you can't go home. I live on the other side of the country and it's hard to be able to afford to go home. I feel like I miss everything happening back home. I hope you can, too. I hope you don't let your weigh-in get to you. Tomorrow is another day. And like someone else, now you have more time to get gorgeous before you get home!:hug:

nonabee
07-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi all,

I'm just dropping in to share some wonderful news. I've not been feeling well since around the holiday & just recently started feeling better.

Well, I went to see my doc last week about all this & returned yesterday for a follow-up, and I have lost 9 lbs in one week. Amazing! I just had to share. Hopefully this is my motivation for getting back on track.

dr_roxy
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
YAY Nona! Keep moving in the right direction, girl!:carrot:

beaka
07-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Cali Doll: We definitely need to have an east coast meetup!!!

NISH!!!: SO glad you're here! :hug:

Cake: A Steelers car? Where dem pics at?!?!

chav: sometimes "Friends" need a good slap across the face :D We are ALL about support up in heah!

Nona: 9 pounds in one week is AMAZING!!! :carrot:
What have you been doing?

As for me I got on the scale this morning and was 215.0!!! Woot! Woot!!! That was my Essence goal, but I'm just glad to be there now. But I may have messed it up already. My co-workers took me out to lunch today. I had a salad that was totally unhealthy with chicken strips and honey mustard dressing. But I did have Sushi for dinner. Bout to head to the gym and burn off some of these calories. I'm punishing myself for all of my Essence slacking by hitting the gym hard every day this week. I did Turbo Kick Sun and Mon.

Hope everyone's having a wonderful, on plan week. :)

CakeBatter
07-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Beaka - I will post them tonite. Actually I am just going to add a link to them cause I am at work. And if we do an Eastcoast meetup I will SO be there! Congrats on your 215 :carrot: you did it!

Nona - WTG. 9 Pounds HOW AWESOME! :carrot:

Well I am down 2 lbs form the 3 I gained over the weekend. Plus TOM is visting very very soon. so I think that is pretty good. My 3 yr anniversary with the noy is sunday. And those of you know me well......know I got a new dress. I didn't think we would be able to make it at first but I guess he wants to keep me. Have a great day ya'll.

chavwright
07-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I am so grateful for this group! I love being able to see how every one is doing and get support as I slowly make my way to thin. :hug:

Cake Batter: I can't wait to see pics of the car. Since moving to Pgh, I've got crazy Steeler fever!

Beata: Congratulations on hitting your goal! That is such a great accomplishment and I know it took a lot of work! That is so great and I'm so inspired.:cheer3:

Nona: Congrats on your weight loss! It must feel great to lose so much! Keep up the good work!:cheer2:

As for me, I've been working hard this week! I did Turbo Jam for the first time in months and had forgotten how much I love it. Working out is actually fun! I don't expect Sunday's weigh-in to be great because TOM is lurking and I'm bloated already. Hopefully it's not too bad!

CakeBatter
07-15-2009, 12:24 PM
This is the link. If it doesn't take too much of ya'lls time look through the photos (there are not many) but they are before and afters....we LOOOOVE this car.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3082298

Devsmama
07-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Looks like everybody's been staying out of trouble. I went to the Maxwell/Chrisette Michelle concert on Monday...he is so damn fine! Chrisette was good and Maxwell puts on a good show, too. I'm a crazy Steeler fan, too!! My neighbors hate it, especially since you can see both the Bengals and Reds stadium from my grandma's house..lol...

morninggloria
07-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Am I too late to party?

I'm from the DC area too!

candtlove
07-15-2009, 04:48 PM
hi sistas. i haven't really had a chance to get on this week. we have company visiting and that has taken quite a bit of my extra time. i'll check in a bit later

dr_roxy
07-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Hey Ladies!

Congrats Cakebatter & Beaka for seeing the scale go down! It's such a great feeling. Your car is cute Cakebatter, but around here it's all about those COWBOYS!! :D

So ladies, this is my struggle where weight loss is concerned--my diet. I do pretty good with making the gym at least 5 days a week. I burn about 350-500 calories per my heart rate monitor. However, my eating is terrible! I'm not sure why I don't stay on plan. It seems like I'm not satisfied with the things I plan to eat so I either a. don't eat or b. eat something else. I'm a calorie counter and try to stay within 1400-1600 per day, but some (too many) days it's just not happening. My scale is sloooowing creeping down, but would move faster if I stayed on plan.

Can anybody relate?

coco_chanell
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey ladies! Congrats 2 those who r losing :D I need some motivation 2 kick my butt in gear I'm not doing terrible but not great either so an exercise challenge would be good...sign me up :)

CakeBatter
07-15-2009, 09:43 PM
HI Gloria - Welcome!

Dr Roxy - I can totally relate. "I be up in the gym just working on my fitness, ya'll my witness" lol ( I listen to a little too much fergie). But I (lately) have been getting bored with my food so I go for something that was not planned and end up going over points/calories. Or like you as well I may not eat anything. Sometimes it feels like it is easier to workout than to eat well. It is simply easier and less complicated sometimes. But I notice I don't at all when I exercise alone which is why i try my best to the combination. I guess I don't have a solution but i damn sure have same problems. don't get me wrong i mix it up alot and even like eating clean but sometimes all that doesn't matter I just want fried calmari and some garlic bread....hhaha or chick-fil-a will do! It is a constant struggle for me and i go one day at a time.

nonabee
07-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Dr Roxy - Thanks for your support! I can relate to the horrible eating. I just look @ it as a challenge to exercise more.

Beaka - I got sick outta nowhere with hives around the 4th, so I went to my doc the following week. Right before I saw my doc I also started getting heartburn. The same week I guess I was also experiencing some type of anxiety, cause I was afraid to swallow & it felt like I was having spasms in my throat which made swallowing difficult for me. I think I may have acid reflux or something.

Anyway, I wasn't able to eat much during that week b/c I was scared from the spasm feelings. I ended up bringing lunches home from work that I couldn't finish. I even brought home food from Friday's when I went out with my BF.

I guess this all contributed to my loss, cause I saw my doc last Tuesday, July 7th and weighed 308. I returned for a follow-up this Monday, July 13th and weighed 299. Although I'm not proud of what I had to go through to lose it, I must've needed something to get me back str8. I've been feeling better since Saturday. I haven't had any problems swallowing & I pray that I don't have to go through that again!

Cake - Thanks for your support and that car is off the hook!

chavwright - Thank you. It does feel great, I pray that I continue in the right direction.

beaka
07-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey ya'll just checking in! I am dog tired today. Had personal training after work and then helped a friend move- and of course her azz ain't say she was on the 4th floor. And moving from a 3rd floor apartment! I haven't been eating well. Since it's my last week at work, people keep taking me out to lunch. I've been getting my workouts in though.

Chav: thanks so much! I'm far from hitting my actual goal. I just have my ticker in smaller increments. But it does help me feel motivated to stay on track. :)

Cake: Way to go on being down again! And that car is off the chain! We're gonna have to find you some more recipes or something. There is soooo much good healthy stuff out there. Even at Chik-Fil-A. I need to remind myself that too a lot.

morning gloria: it's NEVER to late to party :carrot:

dr_roxy: I totally understand. I find that if I plan what I'm gonna eat for the whole day in the morning, I do better. Bringing lunch to work is key for me.

nonabee: Sorry you had to go through all that, but I know you're glad to have seen the scale move.

And where my girl BRIE at?!?!?! Imma have to check on her.

NishKitten
07-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Oh ladies, ladies. I am on a quest to quit smoking... again. :smoking: I know I never should have started up in the first place, but i've been on a bender for the last two, well... let me not even lie, MONTHS (lmfao) and started to feel incomplete without a red to go with my vodka. Though to my credit, the vodka (http://www.rainvodka.com) i'm drinking nowadays IS organic. :p (P.S. -- Try it! That Honey and the Cucumber flavors are effing magnificent!)
I'm definitely not a habitual smoker, it's purely social. I would never light one up if I was sitting by myself anywhere or at home, but that might just end up being the way things are until I stop going out.

Been running around with a new dude the last month or so. He drinks too much, talks too much sh*t and gambles so you know that's right up my alley. :D I like him, and i'm not exclusive to him, but he's got the 'magic stick' and a sterling personality so I haven't been on the hunt for anyone else either. That's saying a LOT coming from me.

I am headed out to the gym and then the grocery store to actually stock my fridge with food instead of booze after I post, so here is hoping I don't die on the treadmill from coughing up a lung. I have to stop smoking! Ugh! It's not affecting my eating or weight, but it is ruining my fitness! I guess there is my motivation right there.

Cake -- You should get Moroccan and some Indian cookbooks and go from there. They've got a ton of awesome vegetarian dishes and things, and the flavors are so different from everyday stuff. I think it might take you out of your boredom slump. :hug:

Beaka -- UGH! I'm helping my friend move this weekend too. Fortunately her boyfriend has the strength of Atlas and can move all of the heavy stuff single handedly.

Nona -- I'm glad you're feeling better and congrats on the 299! That is crappy that you had to get there for those reasons, but at least you got it sorted out. :hug:

Dr_Roxy -- Mmmm. Cowboys.... :drool: Anywho! Have you been on dailyplate yet? I had trouble getting my eating in check too until I started using that tool to log my intake and exercise.

Dev -- Staying out of trouble? Pshaw! :D

Chav -- Ugh. I put on 8-12lbs of bloat during my TOM. I was 132 two days ago, right now i'm 145. No lie. The second I start getting cramps I just throw my scale in the closet and carry on like it doesn't exist. LoL.

Gloria -- I was just in D.C. for July 4th to watch the fireworks. :)

loveDC425
07-16-2009, 09:52 AM
NishKitten- Speaking of dudes, I need to find myself a boytoy! Reading about you makes me want a hubby for the summer! Haha Although I AM going to vegas in 19 DAYS!! So I am sure I will at least have some minor fun, I am a huge flirt, its so fun!

Dr_roxy/CakeBatter- I don’t know if money is an issue for you, but I have the same problem and kept creeping to Baja Fresh or chipotle, because I did not want to eat what I had at home. But lately I been on a huge money crunch (again saving for vegas) so I have been forced to just eat what I have at home because than I will have less to spend in vegas. Do you have something you are saving up for? Maybe that will be motivation to not eat out and save your money!

Coco-Chanell- In terms of motivation do you have any events or any sort of thing coming up this year? I am going to India for my cousins wedding in November, and she just informed me that it is 16 WEEKS away!! Which means if I lost 1 a week, it would ONLY be 16 pounds! And I was planning to lose 40 pounds by then, so now I am like WTF. But that totally shot my motivation up, and yeah and exercise challenge would be good. I actually joined the July exercise challenge here on 3fc for 20 days of yoga and I reached my halfway goal yesterday but I been loosing motivation like crazy! So that reminder of the wedding being 16 weeks away was a huge motivator. Maybe even your birthday? Or a friends birthday that you want to wear that sexy dress at ?

Nonabee- I’m so sorry you had to go through that =(, but at least you got below the 300s! When I got a sickness in 2006, I gained 10 pounds instead of loosing, it was the worst! I got bells palsy, so like half of my face was paralyzed and this included half my mouth, but somehow I still found myself to eat after a couple weeks, and I just kept gaining and gaining.

Beaka- speaking of moving, ugh my roommate just told me she may be moving out of our apartment! And I cannot afford rent alone, so either im gona have to find a new roommate, or move out myself! I hate moving!!

chavwright
07-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Morning, ladies!

Devsmama: I am so jealous of your going to Maxwell concert. I can't get enough of him now that he has the short hair....mmm! He'll be here on the 18th, but we're saving for home repairs, so I'm going to listen to his music and dance in my living room and pretend I'm there. Hey...I have to do what I can to save money! :dizzy: I've heard of Chrisette Michele and like one or two of her songs, too. I'm glad you had a great time!

Morninggloria: Welcome!

Dr Roxy: I can totally relate. Fortunately, I've been doing well with fitness because I'm doing something I love (Turbo Jam, can't get enough!), but my eating could be better. I know that one thing I've been doing that really helps is asking myself "What's eating me?" when I find myself overeating. That doesn't always mean that I stop eating crappy food, but it's helpful to know what I'm feeling so I can try to work through it (without Oreos!). I'm not trying to give solutions, but it's been working for me so far. Taking my meals to work helps, too. Good luck! Also, we are a Cowboys/Steelers house for sure! We're both native Texans, but it's so hard to not get caught up in Steeler fever!

Beaka: You're one mini-goal closer to the grand prize. Great work!

Nonabee: I'm sorry it was illness that led to this weight loss. I hope that the next pounds come off while you feel healthy. I'm so glad you're feeling better.

NishKitten: I think you're right, the scale should go right in the closet during my TOM! Good luck with stopping smoking!

loveDC 425, I applaud you for doing Bikram Yoga. I did hot yoga once and almost passed out. I couldn't do Bikram! I can't wait to hear about your progress!

Like CocoChanel and loveDC425, I'd love a challenge. I feel great about what I'm doing, but I still have 111 pounds to go! It's so hard for me to stay motivated. Maybe we could an exercise or weight loss challenge? My parents are coming into town in late September and I'd love to look great for that! Plus, my skinny sister (who never misses an opportunity to call me fat) will be here, too, ugh. Can we start something soon?

I'm doing well today, but am struggling with patience. I have to keep reminding myself that I didn't get to this size in a few weeks, so I can't expect the weight to fly off that fast, either. Still, it's hard some days.

abielle
07-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Hello Ladies! I'm sorry I'm so late in joining the forum. . .I've been cheating on my diet for the last moth or so! Anyway, I'm back on the wagon starting today and will try to log on to this website and The Daily Plate everyday.

My name is Abielle and I live in Chicago, but I'm on my way to LA in six week or so and I'm so excited! In the past four years, I've gained 40lbs! For all of my life, up until these past years, I've always been thin. Now, my body seems so foreign or alien to me. I definitely gain all of the weight in my belly and breasts, so I'm a bit top heavy. My legs are still semi-thin. I want to lose the 40lbs and it seems like such a struggle. I plan on purchasing a gym membership once I arrive in LA, so for now, I'll have to use the trail along Lake Michigan to jog.

I look forward to getting to know you ladies!

CakeBatter
07-16-2009, 01:52 PM
yeah so I got WI today....we'll see how that goes cause TOM is here and belly is sticking out to africa! LOL. Anyway I am going to try and squeeze in 4 miles before WI and and keep it moving. I am having sushi tonite so I am excited.

Nisha - HEY ababy. Ugh I am a drinking smoker too not to mention the 1 before bed every nite. I should quite ....but eff it. Glad to see you found a magic stick to play with.

LoveDC _ wow you are going to INdia. Cool. THat suggestion you gave is what I do. No matter where I go I dress all up get my sexiest so I am constantly saying I gotta stay on track so I can wear this or that. I love all things short and sexy....:o. 16 weeks is while away so have plenty to get down maybe not 40 but shoot even 20 is awesome and who knows maybe you will be closer than you think

Abielle - Welcome

Devsmama - I totally love Chrisette Michele. OMG! I love Maxwell mostly cause he is sexy but I haven't heard the new cd yet that has been on my nightstand for 3 weeks

To all the rest of you girlsssss...heeeeeeeey!

dr_roxy
07-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey Ladies,

Hope everyone's Thrusday is great! The weekend's almost here. :carrot: Thanks for your comments/advice on getting the diet part of weight loss right. I'm so glad you guys feel what I'm going through. I'm already logging on thedailyplate.com. I need to be committed to making good choices, planning ahead, and logging my calories. Same old, same old. Just gotta make it happen! Hey, where's our challenge? It seems like we're all ready to start!

dr_roxy
07-16-2009, 02:36 PM
CakeBatter-- best wishes on your WI! I wanna be like you and run 4 miles one day!

Devsmama--that concert sounds great! I wish they were coming here :(

Abielle--Welcome! Best wishes on your move.

NishKitten -- have you ever seen the vapor cigs? They have half the amount of nicotine as regular cigarettes. They're electric & produce real smoke. A couple of folks I know say they've really helped them cut down & eventually quit.

LoveDC--you're right a money saving goal would help curb all my eating out binges. I'm not saving for anything in particular, but maybe I can start saving for new clothes? I LOVE LOVE LOVE TO SHOP! :D

sweetshauna
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Hello hello hello lovely women.

I have been busy as a bee lately (and its the summer so thats a damn shame), so I haven't had time to keep up with 3FC.

But just to let you know, things not good, but not terrible either. My weight has been fluctuating around the same 4-5 lbs (149- 154), which I now realize it isn't really that I'm gaining and losing the same five pounds (which I've been thinking was the case for the last few months), but rather I haven't gained or lost and I've just been having natural daily fluctuations in weight.

My Mom is visiting me (first time in 9 months), and of course I can't starve her, so that has thrown my diet out the window. Most of my diet success is due to the fact that all the weight-promoting foods are nowhere to be found in my kitchen. Once its there I will (WILL) eat it. I know, SMH. So my days have been full of carbs and what not. But she's leaving on Friday, so I'll give away all the carb-laden leftovers and starting over.

I see for the most part, everyone is doing well. Keep it up sistas!

I gotta go. I'm on the clock.
:hug::hug::hug: for you all.

~shauna~

Matilda08
07-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Hello all!

I just happened to stumble accross this thread. My name is matilda and Ive been on this site since last year when I first began my journey. I fell off the wagon a little but Im back in it. I just joined the gym today and will have my first class tonight. I lost 35lbs but gained 20 back so Im back and trying to reach my goal. This site was a huge help and I realized that I needed start back checking in because it really helps to be around people who can relate to what your going through. Anyways looking forward to getting to know you all!

bjeweled
07-16-2009, 11:24 PM
okay! i have been reading all of our concerns and it seems we all need some motivation with staying on plan during these wonderful summer months when life should be carefree! we also need help with being accountable for making it to the gym and basically losing pounds this summer instead of maintaining, gaining and losing and gaining the same 5 pounds!!

Summer is wonderful but guess what?!?! if we dont get our butts into gear we will end the summer at the same weight we began it!!! :drill: no way! not acceptable!

Assorted Chocolates Summer Weight Loss Challenge
***July 27th - September 7th***

this is a weight loss biggest loser type challenge.

in order to sign up just pm me your starting weight for the challenge and your goal weight for the end of the challenge is by july 24th at midnight. keep in mind your holidays and vacations and set a realistic goal! i will keep u updated weekly on your progress. once i get info from those who want to sign up i will see if there are enough participants to do teams or just individuals.

the first weigh in will be due by midnight on August 3rd. i will make a separate thread for the WL challenge and keep this thread for regular WOC chatter. post your 6 week weigh in schedule on that thread and just edit it with your weights each week. The final weigh in will be due Labor Day Sept 7th by midnight and all weigh ins are due mondays at midnight. if your WI day is different thats fine just post the day that u weigh in each week but remember the deadlines! I made the challenge really short just as a trial.

Week 1 (7/28-8/3) (Monday August 3):
Week 2 (8/4-8/10) (Monday August 10):
Week 3 (8/11-8/17) (Monday August 17):
Week 4 (8/18-8/24) (Monday August 24):
Week 5 (8/25-8/31) (Monday August 31):
Week 6 (9/1-9/7) (Monday September 7):

So there will be mini challenges each week and during this week before the "actual" challenge, i have a challenge to get us ready!

Starting this Monday the 20th -27th I challenge each of you to do the following 5 things everyday!

1) Stay ON PLAN! POP! Meaning stay within your calories, points, carbs, eating plan everyday. This doesnt mean you cant celebrate and have "off plan" foods it just means that if you didnt plan it ahead of time like earlier that week YOU CANT HAVE IT! :drill:
2) Drink at least 8 glasses of water everyday! or more! if you arent doing this do it for a week and you will lose! and you'll feel better!
3) get at least 30 mins. of exercise 5 days during the week! Kudos for more!
4) Have some me time at least ten minutes a day! Trust me you will thank me for this one. paint your fingernails, read a book, take a bubble bath, get some sexytime lol do something that makes u happy that doesnt involve eating!
5) Log your food and exercise everyday! even if you fall off plan (which u better not!) write it down and hold yrself accountable.

k of course if you have any questions feel free to pm me or post them here! i am off to make the challenge weigh in threads! have a good night and i hope u all sign up!

Here is the Weigh-In Thread!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge/176864-assorted-chocolates-summer-weight-loss-challenge.html

SBD Sass
07-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Just found this thread...I don't know where to jump in. Eeeeeek! Guide me! But I will start out with my hellos.

HELLO EVERYONES EVERYONES!!! They call me Sass. It's nice to meet you all!

beaka
07-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Nish: A boy that keeps you off the prowl... very interesting... :smoking:

love DC: I know you'll find a roomate! There are always people looking. A lot of people told me about folks looking for roomies before I decided to get a place on my own. We'll definitely have to meetup when I get there!

Chav: Thanks so much!

Abielle and Matilda: :welcome2:

Brie: "Assorted Chocolates" tickles me! Ha! And if those are the mini-challenges, I don't know if I can hang with the actual one! But I'm signing up! Thanks for taking the time to set it up! :)

Sass: Hi! I see you've actually met goal! Great! You can be a motivation to us? Would you like to share your story and how you did it? That would be a great place to jump in!

CakeBatter
07-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Briiiiiiiie - Thanks baby! I am soooo glad you set that up and I love the minis. I am so in

Sass and Matilda - WELCOME

Okay girls I stayed the same which is AWESOME 171! Well because I have been doing whatever the **** I wanted for the past two weeks. I mean there about 4 OP days somewhere in there but I didn't fall off my exercise so that really helped.

Matilda08
07-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I did some cardio last night at the gym that I go to. I did a zumba class that was pretty fun and up beat taking the classes are more fun to me and tend to keep me a little more motivated. I love the gym I go to because its a all female gym. They have all sorts of things going on there. Im just trying to accomplish my first mini goal and this year I turn the big 30 in October so I would like to drop 30lbs by then........

dr_roxy
07-17-2009, 12:36 PM
'Assorted Chocolates'....lol! :D That's such a cute name. I love it! Thanks for setting it up Brie. I'm definantly in and will PM you with my starting info.

Matilda--I went to Zumba last night also. I love my class. It's so intense, but so much fun. I go Tuesdays & Thrusdays.

CakeBatter--congrats on maintaining! It's always better than going up when you haven't been on plan.

Have a good weekend ladies!:)

sweetshauna
07-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Brie, The challenge sounds great!

I'm going on vacation from Thursday, July 30th to Sunday August 2nd. Can I join the challenge during week 2?

~shauna~

bjeweled
07-17-2009, 03:03 PM
shauna - you should join the challenge from the beginning. you will be oot but just WI before you leave!

cake - u can use yr weight from yesterday as your starting weight that will just give u a bigger loss by the time we have our first official WI!

beaka - everyone seemed to need a :kickbutt: including me so i figure those 5 things should help us! but i have lots up my sleeve for the weekly mini challenges *evil laugh* muahaaahaah!:devil:

roxy - i got yr info thanks mama! i think i am going to try zumba next week but i have zero rhythm lmao

ladies dont forget to go post on the challenge thread with the WI dates!

k today OP
b- cereal and banana
s - watermelon
l- meatloaf and green beans
d - beans, brown rice veggies

working on water and ive had me time already lol gotta go to the gym tonight! logging on WW online! yay WI is in the morning gotta make it good!

chavwright
07-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Hello, ladies!

Welcome to Matilda, Sass, and Abielle!

Sass, I'd love to hear your story! I always need inspiration.

Cake, congrats on your WI!

Brie, I'm in for the challenge! I need this kick in the butt.

Have a great weekend, all!

SBD Sass
07-17-2009, 11:11 PM
It's a long story. :p In a nutshell, South Beach Diet and lots of fitness plans got me to drop 60lbs in one year. My 1st anni was on July 12, 2009. I was literally tired of being the fat girl. I have all of my fat girl pics posted on the web and it's motivation for me to keep the weight off.

If you want to long story I'll write it out. It was a long, painful and rewarding journey. I couldn't be more happier with myself right now. Maintaining the weight loss is an ugly chore. Ha! I'll be alright though.

beaka
07-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Sass: If you'd like to share some of your main pointers, that would be great. Like maybe how you typically eat and what's your fitness plan. I honestly don't know much about South Beach except that it's low-carb. It's great to have someone here who has met goal!!!

Brie: I'm a little afraid... :p

Hope all of you ladies are having a great weekend. I went to turbo kick and ate at a salad buffet after, but this evening I went to meet up with my book club (plenty of drinking and snacks). I plan to go turbo kick again tomorrow.

coco_chanell
07-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Brie thanx this is just what i needed. My official WI is Monday, so will PM you 2morrow. But I am SO ready....lets get it!!! :carrot:

SBD Sass
07-19-2009, 10:01 PM
beaka - In SBD land The South Beach Diet is not a low-carb diet. Everything about SBD and what it is exactly is located here (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions-115/). The moderators and the ladies in that section are great and they helped me through my P2. :)

Let's see, what do I eat? Well now, I eat better than how I was eating on the South Beach Diet. SBD is what helped me to lose the weight. I only ate whatever was on the allowed foods list. There are two lists. There is one list for Phase 1 which lasts 2 weeks and resembles the Rapid Weight Loss Cooler #1 diet in the Eat-Clean Diet book (but that's another story). Then there is Phase 2 that lasts until you have dropped all the weight you want to lose and you do that buy reintroducing foods into your diet from the Phase 2 list. Sounds complicated? It's not really, once you get the hang of it then it works. One thing that helped me to stay on track with this diet is that I wrote down everything I ate everyday (I still do because now it's a habit and I can't help it). What else? I had to take on this diet like how I worked for my Bachelors degree and with that being said...I had to keep at it and I eventually earned my weight goal.

Now, I totally eat clean because I'm working on transforming my body through diet and fitness...and in a nutshell that means I don't eat processed foods, foods that have empty calories, and food with added sugar. I also choose not to eat artificial sweetners as well. I also don't eat meat or poultry anymore...I only eat certain types of fish. I only drink water and plain green tea.

I also workout like it's a part of my life. Well, it is so I make time for it everyday even if it's just to stretch my body out.

I'm basically a nutrition and fitness junkie now. SBD is not for everyone, but it's worth a try. I tried out Weight Watchers and Counting Carbs, but they didn't work for me. I will keep my opinions about WWs to myself though, but I do count carbs now that I'm maintaining. To count carbs while trying to lose weight was a PITA and I found it more of a chore than anything.

I hope this helps!

I hope everyone is doing OK!

JasonsLea
07-19-2009, 10:36 PM

How's everyone doing? Sorry I haven't been around. I...just have nothing to say. :shrug: Nothing has been going on around here. Just playing the waiting game right now. I found an apartment and I'm waiting to see if I got approved. I applied for four positions and waiting to see if I got one of those. I feel really good about two of them, my mother worked in the department and I'm know most of the people so....maybe that will work in my favor. I need sometimes, really bad and SOON! I took several days off work and it has been marvelous! But I have to go back Wednesday. :( Oh, I dread it.

My eating has gotten better, little by little, day by day. Surprisingly, my weight is going down, a little at a time but still going in the right direction.

I went to see Harry Potter with Nessa on Wednesday. We went to the 12:30 am screening since the midnight and 12:15 were sold out. I can't say I'm a fan of HP, I've never had an interest to read the books or see the movies but Vanessa is a huge fan and she had been talking about the new movie for months. There were alot of people of course so I was trying not to have a panic attack and didn't, thank god. I liked the movie. Thought Harry/Ginny were cute and should have been more of them in the movie. The ending threw me off but again, I haven't read the books.

Sunshine's wedding was yesterday. Nikki said it was great, just really hot. She ran the camera and got close ups of John and Kittie bawling. Perfect blackmail. :lol:

Oh and Friday, after viewing the apartment, my friend and I came across this yard sale and I brough a cool mini futon for $25! The apartment is small and this futon will fit perfectly by the wall. :)

candtlove
07-20-2009, 07:35 AM
CakeBatter- I am so jealous! You are right at goal! Good job!

Nona- I must have missed something? You were sick? If so, I hope it passes soon and you get better. But, ummm, sistas, congrats on that loss!

I haven't read through all of the post since my last check in but I will. I had a gain this week but I expected it b/c it's my time of the month so no surprise.

chavwright
07-20-2009, 11:27 AM
I hope everyone had a great weekend! Thanks for telling how you did the weight, Sass! It's such an inspiration. I really admire that you're eating clean now--it seems so hard.

I had a great weekend. I too saw HP6 but didn't love it. I really love the books and this was by far the most inaccurate. I hope the next two are much better.

My SV is that I have finally lost the first ten pounds! I am so excited. It took a lot of hard work and I know I have a lot more ahead of me. I feel really great!:carrot:

abielle
07-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey Girls,

I'm so sad. I'm a member of a forum that is made up of mostly Black women and a discussion about weight came up. I could tell by the pictures in the avatars that most of the women commenting on the subject were overweight. Several of the women pointed out that a size 14 is now the average size for women in the US and another member pointed out how bad that is considering that Black women in the US have an average height of 5ft 4in (and shrinking, according to one study).

Instead of the women on the forum pointing out that many of us could benefit form exercise and a healthy diet, most of the women just defended being overweight as "Black women's build or shape". It was so discouraging. Since when being overweight or obese count as the norm for Black women? I wanted to point out that being overweight or obese is NOT the norm for Black women. When I went to the Ivory Coast, the majority of the women were shapely, yet still lean. I hate to see other Black women fall into the trap of thinking it's OK to be overweight when being overweight or obese is something that is majorly affecting the health of Black women in this country. :(

*end of rant*

Matilda08
07-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Good afternoon ladies!

How is everyone's week going? I am down five lbs :carrot:
since getting back on the wagon. I had a personal training session and I have a plan that has really been working great for me so I still have 23more lbs to lose to get back to where 220 where I was before falling on the wagon but at least im back in it.........

SBD Sass
07-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Hey Girls,

I'm so sad. I'm a member of a forum that is made up of mostly Black women and a discussion about weight came up. I could tell by the pictures in the avatars that most of the women commenting on the subject were overweight. Several of the women pointed out that a size 14 is now the average size for women in the US and another member pointed out how bad that is considering that Black women in the US have an average height of 5ft 4in (and shrinking, according to one study).

Instead of the women on the forum pointing out that many of us could benefit form exercise and a healthy diet, most of the women just defended being overweight as "Black women's build or shape". It was so discouraging. Since when being overweight or obese count as the norm for Black women? I wanted to point out that being overweight or obese is NOT the norm for Black women. When I went to the Ivory Coast, the majority of the women were shapely, yet still lean. I hate to see other Black women fall into the trap of thinking it's OK to be overweight when being overweight or obese is something that is majorly affecting the health of Black women in this country. :(

*end of rant*

Very well put. I totally agree with you! A lot of the time what they call "curves" is actually really called "fat" and I know this because I was full of those same curves a year ago.

JasonsLea
07-21-2009, 11:22 PM
I GOT THE APARTMENT! :D

CakeBatter
07-22-2009, 11:17 AM
To all of my FB friends forgive me for yo having to hear this again....

I got egnaged this weekend! He proposed on the beach, on one knee, in front of ppl, with almost a 2 carat ring (center stone is 1.25). Ahhhhhhh

Okay ya'll screaming over. we are planning for September 2010. It sucks though cause he did it saturday and we are having a consult with the planner on this upcoming saturday but we found yesterday that he has to go to Pasagoula next week for three months. WTF! But anyway he gets to come home every two weeks. But I am looking at as atime to thoroughly clean my house, stay POP, and look for dresses. I am soooo excited though. After he proposed he wisked me away for the most romanitc weekend ever. We ate at Ruth's Chris and stayed at the Hilton garden Inn. Awesome. Needless to say I did not stay OP this weekend. BUT I'M BACK!

Abielle _ i totally agree with your post. it is true that much of our curves that we think are curves turns out to just be fat.

Sass - Wow you are awesome. Clean eating is very good ( I try but I always fall after a mointh or so and then I try again!). I wanna know what you think about WW if no one else minds. that is the plan I currently follow.

Matilda - WTG on working out and staying on track

Jasonslea - CONGRATULATIONS ony our apartment. I know you are so excited!!!!!

Candtlove - it so funny cause I have been right at goal for a while. and I have been too lazy, comfy, busy (whatever you wnt to call it) to kick it into to high gear and get rid of the last 6 lbs. I need a butt-kicking. That is why I am so excited about the challenge

Brie - Speaking of the challenge I will be using thursdays WI (coming up) Cause I KNOW i gained this weekend!

Chavwright - YAY 10 pounds GONE WTG:carrot:. That always feels so good.

Beaka - I am scared too. Are gone from the A yet?

SBD Sass
07-22-2009, 12:13 PM

I got egnaged this weekend! He proposed on the beach, on one knee, in front of ppl, with almost a 2 carat ring (center stone is 1.25). Ahhhhhhh

CONGRATS GIRLY!!! :carrot: You must be walking on the moon right now. ;) Enjoy this moment in your life. Feels good to be in love doesn't it??

I'm sorry...I have no opinion of WW. I tried it a couple times in the past and it didn't work for me because of certain reasons. I'll just leave it at that.

Matilda08
07-22-2009, 01:02 PM

Okay ya'll screaming over. we are planning for September 2010. It sucks though cause he did it saturday and we are having a consult with the planner on this upcoming saturday but we found yesterday that he has to go to Pasagoula next week for three months. WTF! But anyway he gets to come home every two weeks. But I am looking at as atime to thoroughly clean my house, stay POP, and look for dresses. I am soooo excited though. After he proposed he wisked me away for the most romanitc weekend ever. We ate at Ruth's Chris and stayed at the Hilton garden Inn. Awesome. Needless to say I did not stay OP this weekend. BUT I'M BACK!

Abielle _ i totally agree with your post. it is true that much of our curves that we think are curves turns out to just be fat.

Sass - Wow you are awesome. Clean eating is very good ( I try but I always fall after a mointh or so and then I try again!). I wanna know what you think about WW if no one else minds. that is the plan I currently follow.

Matilda - WTG on working out and staying on track

Jasonslea - CONGRATULATIONS ony our apartment. I know you are so excited!!!!!

Candtlove - it so funny cause I have been right at goal for a while. and I have been too lazy, comfy, busy (whatever you wnt to call it) to kick it into to high gear and get rid of the last 6 lbs. I need a butt-kicking. That is why I am so excited about the challenge

Brie - Speaking of the challenge I will be using thursdays WI (coming up) Cause I KNOW i gained this weekend!

Chavwright - YAY 10 pounds GONE WTG:carrot:. That always feels so good.

Beaka - I am scared too. Are gone from the A yet?

Congrats congrats!!!!! Thats such wonderful news lots of luck

Matilda08
07-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Jasonslea- Congrats on your apartment!

bjeweled
07-22-2009, 02:25 PM
most of the women just defended being overweight as "Black women's build or shape". It was so discouraging. Since when being overweight or obese count as the norm for Black women? I wanted to point out that being overweight or obese is NOT the norm for Black women.

overweight and obese is definitely not the norm for black women. yes we have always been shapely but i think fast food, chain restaurants and the overabundance of processed unhealthy cheap foods are why we are currently overweight and obese. i look at my mom, aunts and women from the prior decades and most were a healthy weight! this is an epidemic we are facing and some people just dont get it. we are dying!

Good afternoon ladies!

How is everyone's week going? I am down five lbs :carrot:

:D congrats girlie! keep it up!

yay for you!! :woohoo: independence, freedom yessss!

CAKE - Congrats again Girl!!!! Just PM Me your new starting weight!

speaking of which...all starting weights if you want to be in the challenge are due july 24th by midnight!!

we may be small but we are mighty!!!

as for me i have a lot on my mind. i really need to find a job that will pay well and give me benefits and i would love to move back to stl to start school but i decided too late and may have to wait till january. idk. i just want to move forward. i decided i am going to take the credits to become a registered dietitian and i am working on my PT certifications. so it will all work out i know i just wish it would work out faster lol.

on a good note i have been following this weeks challenge and doing my 5 things everyday! hopefully i will drop a large number this WI!

that was long ttys

sweetshauna
07-22-2009, 09:38 PM

:congrat: cakie!!!:hug:

coco_chanell
07-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Cake-CONGRATS!!! I bet that'll be great motivation 4 u :)

Jasonslea- wtg on yr new place

chavwright
07-23-2009, 12:35 PM

Congrats on the engagement (and ring! wow!)!!!:carrot:

chavwright
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey Girls,

*end of rant*

You're so right. I think that part of my size has to do with this, too. When I was just beginning to be overweight, I thought I was CUTE--and the boys I dated did, too. If I had got healthy then, I wouldn't be where I am now.

Congratulations!

Bejeweled, I'll PM you today!

nonabee
07-24-2009, 09:37 AM
TGIF everybody! I regret not being on here as much as I'd like to, but work and my summer class have me bogged down.

Anywho, just stopping by to congratulate everyone on their many successes and Cake on the engagement! TTYL

CakeBatter
07-24-2009, 10:21 AM
HEY! Where is the Assorted Chocolates Thread? I can't find it. I was not good yesterday at all. Well I was until last night when I saw the yogurt raisin and graham crackers. *sigh* Today is a new day. And Monday starts our new challenge and I am all stoked about it. Hope you girls day is going great.

sweetshauna
07-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Heeeey Sistas;) (heeeeeey... LOL)

So, update on the micros. I was going to add this to the women of color hair maintainance thread, but I remembered beaka saying that we need to grow this thread is we want our own forum, so I decided to post here.

The micros are not going well. I am a die hard natural, and after months of internal struggle I decided to get braids with extensions because I wanted start a regular swimming regimen, and I can't maintain my natural hairstyles and swim on a regular basis.

So I thought that getting braids would give me a little bit more longevity with my hair. WRONG:nono: Because I have very coarse natural hair, when I went in the water, my natural hair shrunk up and coarsened, but the extensions did not. So you can imagine how that looked. HOT MESS!!:yikes: LOL. Well, now I know.

I still have in the braids, because for $160 (cost of hair + braiding) I sure as **** need to get my money's worth. Furthermore micros are a bi@tch to take out, so sho' 'nuff I won't be doing that until I have a good minute to spend on it.

Any of you ladies have had a similar experience, or just a general experience of micros and exercise together not working for you? Comments please!

~shauna~

chavwright
07-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap.

I had a great day, diet-wise today. I even picked up a new workout DVD from the library (Turbo Jam Lower Body workout--SO excited!). After work, the hubby and I decided to go out to dinner to mellow out after a long, stressful workweek. We went to Don Pablo's and I quickly LOST MY HEAD. I ate everything in sight. I had chips and queso/salsa/guacamole/sour cream and then a cheese enchilada, beef taco, a flauta, refried beans, and rice. It was pretty darn good, too. But I could feel the overload of calories, fat, and sodium. I couldn't stop myself! Well, I could have, but I didn't. I was so mad at myself.

After dinner, I said, "Well, screw it, I already messed up. Might as well go all out for the night." I've had a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream and a chicken quesadilla. Ugh. I'm so mad at myself.

I know that I won't let this affect me tomorrow, but I'm so frustrated. My weigh-in will be disastrous. I feel like I'll never get to my weight goal. :(.

I'm going to try to do an extra workout tomorrow and do some reflection about what leads me to go crazy like this. I'm so eager to be much more strict on myself in order to lose weight faster, but I'm trying my best to be patient.

I'd love anyone's tips on how they avoid having crazy eating binges when they're feeling happy/sad/tired/alive/stressed/blah blah blah. I need all of the help I can get.

chavwright
07-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Heeeey Sistas;) (heeeeeey... LOL)

So, update on the micros. I was going to add this to the women of color hair maintainance thread, but I remembered beaka saying that we need to grow this thread is we want our own forum, so I decided to post here.

The micros are not going well. I am a die hard natural, and after months of internal struggle I decided to get braids with extensions because I wanted start a regular swimming regimen, and I can't maintain my natural hairstyles and swim on a regular basis.

So I thought that getting braids would give me a little bit more longevity with my hair. WRONG:nono: Because I have very coarse natural hair, when I went in the water, my natural hair shrunk up and coarsened, but the extensions did not. So you can imagine how that looked. HOT MESS!!:yikes: LOL. Well, now I know.

I still have in the braids, because for $160 (cost of hair + braiding) I sure as **** need to get my money's worth. Furthermore micros are a bi@tch to take out, so sho' 'nuff I won't be doing that until I have a good minute to spend on it.

Any of you ladies have had a similar experience, or just a general experience of micros and exercise together not working for you? Comments please!

~shauna~

I laughed out loud (literally). I've got really nappy hair, so I've had that happen, too!:)

JasonsLea
07-25-2009, 01:39 AM

1 week till moving day. Things are slowly starting to get chaotic. :dizzy: I'm probably not going to get a bed till next payday and I know I will not have cable/internet for a while so I'll have to get into the library routine again. I need to anyway, there are some vamp books I want to check out. I don't have to get a Uhaul since I have really sweet neighbors who offered to help me move. So happy since I REALLY do not have the money for a Uhaul or anything else basically. The only thing I'm going to 'splurge' on is a fan because I can't sleep without one. I only have like $100 so the rest is going to be spent on food. This just cements my thoughts that staying with the VA in that department is doing nothing for me. I don't even make enough money to get essentials. My friend's got a lead on a job so I'm applying next week. I just really hate to resign my position and then they call me about another position in the hospital. Do yall realize how much paperwork that is?! It's the government! But I'm tired of holding on and going nowhere. And Fields is getting on my last damn nerve. The Im-about-to-throw-bleach-in-your-face-if-you-dont-step-off nerve. Not good. :no:

SBD Sass
07-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi everyone and happy weekend!

My cutting diet and body fat blasting 3-week challenge is going good so far.

And *hugs* to everyone who are staying on track and *mega hugs* to those who fell off and are getting back on. ;) See you all around!

bjeweled
07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
shauna - heeeeeeeeey girl! lol i am not a fan of micros but i feel bad that no one told you that would happen. i didnt think about it because when i had them the braids were small maybe i didnt notice and i also made them braid all of my hair up. idk but :hug: to you sorry that happened! i am a fan of sew in weaves for working out and swimming etc. u can get all of your hair braided underneath and get a curly texture short weave its cute and low maintenance. just make sure you blow dry the braids dry or sit under a hooded dryer to make sure u dont get a mildew prob YUCK!

chav - i understand i have done that unfortunately more times than i want to admit. well its a new day start right over and next time u know u could be tempted like that devise a plan be4 you arrive at the restaurant/outing. if you fail to plan you plan to fail. keep yr head up girl!

shari - i am so happy for you! try to buy a little bit at a time and you'll be fine. good luck on the job hunt! i have rediscovered the public library and i love it cause i am reading more. use the internet and pick up a good book or two!

Sass - way to go girl! are you trying to get to a certain bf% or new goal weight? you look awesome in your photos and thanks for the :hug: i need them! trying to get to goal like you girl!

sooo i am getting the challenge info together tonight. there will be a small group of us so i figure we should do all challenge related posting over at the assorted chocolates thread. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chicks-up-challenge/176864-assorted-chocolates-summer-weight-loss-challenge.html

cant wait! any ladies who arent joining please feel free to come over and participate in mini challenges and give and get encouragement. everyones welcome even if yr weights arent being tracked!

sooo i have morphed into niecey nash and have been helping my mother clean out her house which is full of clutter. its a task to say the least and i have been exhausted. i hope that we will be done for the most part by next weekend. dont let yr house get full of clutter the clean up sucks! we have a huge dumpster and i just want to throw it all away! but i realize that my mom sees it very differently so i am trying to be understanding but no nonsense at the same time. this is ridiculous! soo keep me in yr thoughts and prayers.

as for WL i have been hitting the stair mill and running everyday and i feel great just cant wait to see the pounds come off. i think this may be the time i succeed because i have everything in place to help me succeed. i just gotta do it!

have a wonderful week sistas!

CakeBatter
07-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Happy Monday Ya'll. I had a such a great weekend! I ran 7 miles in 82 minutes. Yea I am doing a dance. I didn't go overboard this weekend either. Proud of that. My fiance and I hung out with two couples this weekend which was pretty cool since one of them was my BFF>. We playes spades last night and had some drinks. I was a good weekend overall

Brie - You got me wanting to go to my momma's house and clean up. Hmph I think I will. You are doing awesome the BTW, RUnning and the stairmill. Get it

Sass - I just want to say I look up to you....

Hiiii girls and I hope everyone had a good weekend. Luv you all!!!

caliyah
07-27-2009, 02:20 PM
hey

i just wanted to introduce myself. i'm 25 and recently finished my masters degree and working now. i got motivated to lose weight after my graduation when i saw in my pictures just how much weight i had gained. = ( anyway i've always tried to work hard at everything i do in my life except for taking care of myself. i'm so glad to see this thread!= )

coco_chanell
07-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Welcome Caliyha :hug: this is a great place for support an encouragement.

I had my fam reunion and bf's class reunion this weekend and surprisingly I didn't do too bad with meal selections but I totally fell off of the mini-challange. I'm on vacation so I slept in today and forgot to WI this am, so will have to do it tomorrow. I feel TOM bloat coming on so I'll be cool if I just maintained this week. I gotta get my mind refocused on the challange.

bjeweled
07-27-2009, 11:03 PM
challenge is up!

Matilda08
07-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Hello Ladies I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Im still hanging in there. My biggest problem is junk food, Im trying to find ways to stay away from it. I dont really buy it but at work it tends to get a bit harder ugh........

What do you guys eat when you want something sweet and healthy? I make smoothies very often but sometime want something different

sweetshauna
07-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Hello Ladies I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Im still hanging in there. My biggest problem is junk food, Im trying to find ways to stay away from it. I dont really buy it but at work it tends to get a bit harder ugh........

What do you guys eat when you want something sweet and healthy? I make smoothies very often but sometime want something different

Ever tried baked apples?

Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over apples (you can use splenda as a substitute), bake them, and voila! Its like apple pie with out the crust! (Yes I know, whats apple pie without the crust, but you'd be surprised what you can get used to!)

unstoppable
07-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey ladies,
I wished that I wouldve found this site sooner. I have been on this weight loss journey for a while and yes we have some weight loss issues significant to our culture. I must say, that i love what working out has done for my hind parts (lol).
I look forward to hearing from and meeting you all.

unstoppable
07-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Before I forget- Spinning really gets your rear in gear.

unstoppable
07-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm so sorry. I know I have like 3 posts back to back, but I was so rude and didn't introduce myself. My name is Khara and I am 26. I live in New Jersey, by way of NY. I graduated about a year and half ago with my Masters in Occupational Therapy. I have been trying to lose weight since my sophomore year of undergrad (yeah I know). My highest weight was 220 and I got down to like 195. I regained some and went back up to 212 and have been losing since June 2007. I have had my set backs, but I have managed to maintain weight vs gain it back. Now I am just looking for the support to finally get down to my goal weight of 145 (how you doin').

bjeweled
07-28-2009, 07:55 PM
:wave: unstoppable! :welcome:

msmotivation
07-28-2009, 09:54 PM
WOW, this is such a coincidence!

First off, hello ladies, I'm Denisha... I'm 30sumthin and work as a Business Analyst during the day and I'm an aspiring Internet Marketing entrepreneur and my very first website is a weightloss website for women of color! I'm still tweaking the site, but it will be up in a few days :)

I am looking to lose weight the healthy way after trying too many of the fad diets out there. And I'm so happy to see other women of color on the same "get healthy" mission... like everyone has stated already, but I have to say it... our health issues are a little bit different from other women.

On my journey, I will be doing Turbo Jam and Tae Bo workouts as well as some strength training... oh, and I am eating the "Fat Smash" kinda way... fruits, veggies, lean protein, grains, egg whites, etc.

Anyway, I'm soooo excited to find this thread. I'll be checking in to see how everyone is doing and to post my progress as well!

CakeBatter
07-30-2009, 08:21 AM
I have been taking these braids out for 3 days! Not three WHOLE days basically when I was just sitting around. TY Lord for wigs, HA! I think I am going to try that twist out look after all the braids are out. Plus IDT I need a perm for that ....do I??

WELCOME UNSTOPPABLE & MSMOTIVATION!!!!!!!!!

HEY GIRLS......

Basically I have just been getting things ready for when Chris leaves int he next couple days.I have been gymming it and starting out doing well and then going haywire in the evening, But I am maintaining. Hopefully I will do well on our challenge (sister thread).

bjeweled
07-30-2009, 01:51 PM
nope no relaxer needed. i dont think it would work as well without a relaxer.

unstoppable
07-30-2009, 04:37 PM
I agree. No perm needed

CakeBatter
07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
Cool. I am going to wash and deep condition and twist tonight. Does anyone have any tips....

Gotta get to the gym today. I am lifting weights today so I am bit excited, not exactly sure why though.

any plans for the weekend???

unstoppable
07-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Tomorrow morning i plan to take a spinning class. In the afternoon, I am going to the salon to trial wedding hairstyles (super excited btw).

bjeweled
08-01-2009, 01:22 PM
hey gals!

i plan to run and do the stairmill today since my PT session was canceled. i found a new running program on women's health that may not bore me as much as the c25k. then grocery shopping, cleaning and a little shopping i guess. kinda bummed about the scale. whatev ttyl

SBD Sass
08-01-2009, 11:33 PM
OMG allergies! Not sure what's going on with me. I had to workout with an ice pack on my eye yesterday. It was terrible. Itchy and watery eyes. I don't feel good!!!!!!! :(

msmotivation
08-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Hey... just checkin in to say "HI"...
Hope you feel better SBD... that sounds miserable.
Today, I did the Turbo Jam 20min Cardio DVD and the 40min Turbo Sculpt - only got thru 30mins of that one LOL but I'm proud that I did that much.
Plan to do some type of workout everyday.
Gotta get right with my eating habits though... plan on making green smoothies a staple so I can get more fresh fruit and veggies.

unstoppable
08-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Hello Ladies,
SO yesterday I went into Philly to trial some wedding hairstyles and it turned out BEAUTIFUL. I am so excited. My hair is in locs, so I was curious to see how it would turn out. Im so excited!!!
I did my spin class yesterday morning and it was intense. I loved it though.
Today I go to work. I plan to get some grocery shopping done and then maybe work out a little later.
Hope you all had a wonderful weekend.

JasonsLea
08-02-2009, 04:38 PM

So I moved into the apartment yesterday. It was just me and Nessa, it was so hot, we were just pouring sweat! But I got moved in and Mrs. Allison gave me some money to put groceries in the fridge. :) I'm without internet/cable so I'll try to post at work when I can. I don't know when I'll get my internet, I really need to get a bed because sleeping on the floor is doing nothing for my bad hips! The apartment is chaos, I missplaced my scale so I couldn't WI this morning. >.<

I've got to get to work, guys. Have a great week and I'll try to post again soon! :grouphug:

CakeBatter
08-03-2009, 07:51 AM
I am going to the gym with the BF tonight after we go and look at this site for the wedding. I am pretty excited about this week in general as far as diet exercise goes. I am still wearing this wig until I figure out what the **** I am gonna do with my hair. My hair is still pink and I refuse to wear into work seeing as how I have 2-3 biters. so it must be colored before I even think about wearing my hair out and then I can't decide if I want to cut it one last time before I start growing it out for the wedding.....decisions....descisions...

Sass _ OMG an icepack, I hope you are feeling better now.

Unstoppable _ Exciting about the trial hairstyles. I Can't wait until I start doing that stuff. Glad it turned out great for you

Lea_ Yay apartment. You are all moved in a ready to go. Good feeling just post when you can.

Matilda08
08-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Sass I hope you feel better.

I hope you all are doing well, my son has been sick for a few days so I havent worked out much last week. He is feeling better now so hopefully I will get my five hours of workouts in this week.

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

chavwright
08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Hello, all,
I wanted to let you all know that I have decided to leave 3FC. I have made the really exciting decision to become an intuitive eater (www.intuitiveeating.com) and really feel that this is not the website for me anymore now that I will never diet again. I am grateful for all of the support and wish you all the best in your health endeavours!
Chavonne

bjeweled
08-03-2009, 11:48 PM
SBD - i hope you feel better my allergies have been making me crazy as well!

msmotivation - green smoothies hmmm let me know how u like them i cant bring myself to eat my veggies like that but i hope it works for you!

unstoppable - yay wedding hair! sounds awesome! i get to live vicariously through my WOC chickies for all this wedding stuff! im glad u liked the styles!

shari - im glad u got all moved in! we'll miss ya but we'll be here when u pop in!

cake - did u like the wedding site? i feel like how ridiculous are you to bite pink hair thats quite obvious they should be shamed.

matilda - i hope yr baby is feeling better

chavwright - good luck!

TOM is raring its ugly head and the good thing about it is i am still weighing in at 195 so i prob have lost! i plan to keep working out like a crazy person since i have nothing else to do with my time. now if only i could get rid of these weird cravings i have during TOM red meat, pb&j, pickles ugh. so i am going to work out and try not to eat my mother out of house and home lol.
in other news i had a phone interview with a company for the perfect job and i have my next in person interview next thursday. i am trying to work on my interview answers before i go. so be praying/wish me luck because i need a job and i think this is the one for me.

unstoppable
08-04-2009, 06:18 AM
Bjeweled-I will be praying for you. Good luck on your interview

As for me having car problems (UGGH) But everything will be alright.
Still weighing in at 172 even. But I will stay motivated.
Have a wonderful day WOC!!!

CakeBatter
08-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Unstoppable - Awww I hope you get your car straight.

Brie - TOM ugh! If you are still weighing the same then I agree you probably lost too. Yeah I know they should be ashamed but everyone don't know the "code" I guess. Whatever I'm very original...so it will be all good. Oh I thought I go see the site yesterday but it is really today.

Weighed in last night at the gym and was happy to see the scale go down. Hallelujah! Remember I told ya'll my BF and I were going to the gym together. ......this guy on the TM beside when and got a piece of paper and left a note on my TM for me to call him.....and my BF was on the TM opposite side of me.....It was hysterical but I felt sorry for him when my BF stopped and said I was his lady and I showed him my ring. SOmetimes I think they can smell my ring and they come from all corners of the earth. Hope ya'll have a good day ladies!!!!!

caliyah
08-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I can't believe the comments people have been giving me lately. lol. my fam/friends are telling me i should stop losing weight! i feel as women of color that is a major issue ---- i've always listened to them before - like oh okay maybe i'm okay the way i am now but i'm going to keep pushing because i want to be healthy and fit most of all. anybody deal with this?

by the way bejeweled good luck on your interview! i have one today too! = )

caliyah
08-04-2009, 11:11 AM
by the way how do i get a tickeR?

CakeBatter
08-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Caliyah - It Is Twenty Days And Twenty Posts. After Those Two Requirements You Can Get One Too. Also Yes I Get That All The Time You Are Going To Be Skinny And You Look Fine The Way You Are....yada Yada Yads. I Like Being Fit And In The Best Physical Shape I Can Possibly In And There Is Nothing Wrong With That. Brie Told Me Once That People Are Gonna Say What They Want And They Are Going To Keep Talking Just Brush It Off And Keep Going. It Is About What Make You Feel Good, Happy And Healthy.

Brie - Gl On The Interview.

Devsmama
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Hey ladies, I haven't been here in a while-crazy mess happenin. Oh well, weighed in on Sunday, down 6lbs-that makes 41 since March 15th. My goal is to hit 208 by Sept. 15th. It might sound crazy, but definitely something to work toward.

bjeweled
08-04-2009, 02:36 PM
devsmama - you can do it girl with hard work and perserverance its possible! we'll be here to support you!

caliyah - cake took the words out of my mouth! do you boo!

unstoppable - hopefully your car will be fixed soon! ive been stuck in the house due to car trouble for two days ugh.

thanks for all the well wishes ladies! i have an article for yall to read and i want your opinion.

http://www.12millionlives.com/community/member_of_the_month

then i will give mine lol

Matilda08
08-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Hello ladies how are things going?

bjeweled-good luck with the interview

Unstoppable-I hope things work out with your car I know how that can be....

Cake- OMG that must of been crazy, but flattering at the same time...lol

ciliyah-I experience that all the freaking time lol people telling me I dont need to lose weight blah blah blah but at the end of the day its about how you feel about yourself.

WIshing you all a great month and some lbs lost. I havent been to the gym for a whole week. Between my son and all the crap I have going on. Tonight im going to the gym I actually miss it. I havent been making much progress lately but this month starts a new month and its time that I really got serious.

sweetshauna
08-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Hey Ladies,

Came back from my vacation late Sunday night, weighed myself on Monday morning, and found out I put on a whopping 7lbs. 7lbs of weight GAIN in 4 days! I know I ate a lot of crap, but sheesh!

I'm hoping that about 4 of those are because of salt/ water retention (and TOM), and that I only in fact put on 3lbs. Fast food/ restaurant food has a lot of sodium in it so hopefully... What do you ladies think?

On another note I'm going back to my hometown next week Tuesday for about 3 weeks, so I'd love to lose that 7lbs in 7 days so that I can be back to my original weight. I'm actually going to be starting a diet with my mom- I lose my last 15 while she loses her first 15. I think its really cute and just great that we are motivating each other as a family to live healthier lives.

Anyway, thats it. I'm back to 153lbs, but I refuse to change my ticker until next week when my vacation is "out my system" and the dust settles. LOL. After that there is no denying... it is what it is.

~shauna~

unstoppable
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey ladies-Car is fixed
Cake Batter- Too effin funny. Flattering though I bet. Good luck with your reception site. BTW are you changing your ticker (Im just nosey lol)

Bjeweled- I agree with CB. Anytime I remain the same during TOM, I count it as a loss

Sweetsshauna- no worries. That 7 pounds will be off in no time.

CakeBatter
08-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Okay girls. I saw the site last night and it beautiful. We are looking at one more place but I am pretty sure we are sticking with the one yesterday. We would be having the ceremony on the water ......*hands clapping* yay! Oh and yeah the scale is still going down....yay! AGAIN!

Okay I have a concern. I have been wearing a wig the last week or so and it is great....right up until I have to go to the gym. I HATE pulling my effin hair off to workout. Any thoughts. I mean yeah I know just don't wear one but I will be wearing it until Saturday at least when I have my hair appointment. I just want to know how you all feel about if you have ever experienced this.

Unstoppable - No I don;t change my ticker until official WI at WW on thursday evenings. However I didn't change last week when I gained 2 pounds either. So to sum it up...I won't go down on the ticker unless read at WW and I won't go up unless the gain stays with me more than that one week. ANd you are not being nosey.

Shauna - I am sure some of that is indeed water retention. You would have had to have eaten 24,500 calories and not burned a single one of them. Doubt that you did that sweetie. That is exciting about you and your mom. Plus this means you can focus on your diet even though you are chilling w/ family and friends.

Matilda - I am totally feeling your "new month thought". I am so gonna live it with you. I am soooo refocused! We gonna do this! Oh and yea that situation was funny...

Brie - about the article. I totally agree with not saying "oh its baby weight and then just stay fat". That is BS. Now I don't have any kids but after he or she arrives I will beack in the gym trying to get rid of it. My husband married me attractive and I plan to stay that way. Plus I am way too appearance oreintated (with myself) to not put in an effort. On the other hand I don't know if it would only take 3 months to lose 9 months of weight but I guess it could happen. I would definitely put in effort and try and get it off but I wouldn't be on a timeline per se. If it took me a while so be it since it is my life and not a temporary change. I would attack it with the same attitude I carry now on my WL journey.

Devsmama- Heeeeeey. You are in the challenge right??

Devsmama
08-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Cake: Nope, not in the challenge. Maybe I need to be..lol..

bjeweled: The article was interesting, but some folks need more than that time to get it off. Anything is possible with effort and faith.

shauna: sounds like water weight to me. When I have water weight I drink distilled water and lemon and juice and it is gone that day.

matilda: new month, new attitude-luvsit. I'm sorta feeling that way too. I have a goal I'm trying to get to by September.

I took a Muscle X class last night thats sort of like step aerobics with barbells and dumbbells. That class was insane! My eyelashes are sore..lol..It was good though and can't wait to take it again.

CakeBatter
08-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Oh shoot Devsmama....I tagged you LOL. Oh well I take it back!

Matilda08
08-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Cake- OMG I have that same problem I wear wigs a lot well I wear weaves a lot. My natural hair is long and healthy but I LOVE fake hair lol and yesterday when I went to the gym I took it off before I went. I dont mind though because I know Im not trying to mess my wigs up at the gym and boy do I sweat.

Devsmama- that class sounds fun though, I love group workout classes I take them all the time at the gym that I attend. My b day goal is to be at 220 or less so Im going to be in there these next few months. I'll be turning the big 30 on 10/30 so Im really trying to be focused.

sweetshauna - I know the feeling but I bet you'll get back on track. I was down to 220 in Feb and gain 20lbs plus back all because I stopped working out stopped coming on 3fatchicks. More than I knew this site aided me so much in shedding lbs before because its nothing like chatting with people that are experiencing the same thing and you guys motivate me to get back into the game I love this site.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Devsmama
08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Awwww sweet 30. Let me say that turning 30 was the best thing that ever happened to me..lol.. I have a whole new perspective on what's important, who's important and what and who isn't. Stress doesn't really get to me and I choose who I want to be and be around. My 30s have been great, not one complaint. So, we have to help you get to your goal by your bday because you have to celebrate.

Devsmama
08-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Cake, I didn't even read the challenge and you tagged me..lol..I guess I will have to hop on the next one.

CakeBatter
08-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Matilda- Yes I agree with devmama! We have to get you to your goal before your bday so that you maybe as happy as possible for the big day! And yeah I am not trying to mess it up either so instead of taking it off in the locker room I will do it the car before I go in....that is gonna be fun-ny lol

Devsmama - I know. my bad lol

Devsmama
08-05-2009, 11:04 AM
As for the hair thing, I have micros in because I sweat so much its not funny. But my friend who does hair put them in and my hair is growing like crazy. Now its time to get them done again. I will probably keep them in until I hit goal, which by my estimates should be March or April. I know alot of people don't like them, but I have to say mine have been nice. She didn't pull my hair super tight either, so maybe that made the difference, I don't know.

Cake-what are you getting done?

CakeBatter
08-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Well I actually just took my micros out last week and I am trying to give it a break before getting them again at the beginning of september. In the mean time I gonna have my evened out and colored for my bday at the end of the month. After that I will probably keep getting them until near my wedding time. They are just so easy for me to maintain working out as much as I do.....

Matilda08
08-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Devsmama- I LOVE micro braids and they always make my hair grow, I usually keep mine in for about a month in a half. Thats the perfect hair style for the gym too.

Cake-Yeah I am trying to make to that mark for my b day and Im hanging in there.

I took a body to pump class last night at the gym. It was fun. Its a class where they combine weights and the ball she had us doing moves that I never even thought of especially for the abs whew lol I really needed that.

What kind of classes do you guys take at the gym that you attend?

Devsmama
08-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Matilda: I took a Muscle X class on Tuesday and I am still sore!! I haven't been worked that hard in years. I can't wait until she is personal trainer.

I went to the gym last night and did 90minutes of cardio. My legs feel like jello today..lol.

CakeBatter
08-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Devsmama - I know the feeling of jello legs....lol

Matilda - I take salsa, spinning, and yoga. I used to do Zumba but it became the new craze and there are just too many people in there to get a real workout....

I barely made it through 45 minutes of cardio....my body was so tired. I have WI tongiht so I hope I do well. I have been POP

Matilda08
08-06-2009, 12:01 PM
I love the gym that I go to and its an all woman gym lol. I like zumba and its not that crowded at my gym, I must admitt that I was shocked at how much I sweated the first time I took that class lol

Cake I took a beg cycling class at the gym and that class is very effective but my butt hurt so bad......rotf anyways have you found comfort since talking the class and do the seat pads really work? I want to take them twice a month but thats what holding me back omg my behind and i have some junk in my trunk sooooo

Matilda08
08-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Devsmama your doing really well keep up the good work!

Matilda08
08-06-2009, 12:05 PM
by the way how do i get a tickeR?

go to the quick links tab then click on sig weight tracker follow that then at the end copy and paste it to your signature on your profile

CakeBatter
08-06-2009, 04:38 PM
matilda - **** no! my a** still hurts! But I found the trick for me I ride standing up 90% of the time and then when I so tired I can't take sit just long enough to get it together....

Matilda08
08-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Cake you sound like me lol thats what I do but im not in shape enough to stand that long lol I am going to take it again this saturday. I think that class does wonders!

Devsmama
08-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Cake you are rockin this exercise thing! I haven't done spinning since the first time years ago. Like Matilda said, I have some junk, but my God my *** hurt for days! I know it works wonders, but honestly, I can't do it..lol..I guess I'm gonna have to try it since you girls are doing it..lol.. I haven't tried Zumba because like Cake said its the new thing and I can't get into it. I like my staples-Pilates, cardio, weight lifting. My next venture is to learn to run not only sprints.

beaka
08-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Hey everyone! Just poppin in for a minute. The move went ok. I'm adjusting to work, and I'll be getting internet this weekend, so you'll hear from me then. Of course I haven't been eating right/exercising during this transition, but I'm gonna get back on it. And I do walk to work now. Hope everything is well with all of you!

Matilda08
08-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Beaka im happy to hear that your move went well.

They have so many different classes at my gym I must admitt I like step and body to pump and the low impact classes also but sometime like tonight I just do treadmill and my weights. Im trying that Couch to running program again im on week one so I really broke a sweat tonight lol It feels good after though.

What types of foods are you guys eating? I know cake does WW but is anyone else doing anything different?

bjeweled
08-06-2009, 08:52 PM
ladies, ladies, ladies, ladies ladeeeez lol

i :love: :love: :love: to spin! yes it hurts but the thing is they have seats which u can buy tht make it better and padded shorts. and truthfully i bought one and took it back. becus the bikes at the gym i go to have softer seats and its not that bad the bikes at my trainers place are horribly hard ugh. but the trick is u have to keep doing it and then by the 3rd time its not that bad. 2nd time is the worst after that its bearable. but the cardio and thigh and butt shaping benefits are worth it to meeeeee lol. LOVE IT! but i find that since i do it at least twice a week it doesnt hurt n e more!

about my article...i just think its misleading to send that out to members of a gym as if everyone can work out and take classes and lose 20 pounds a month consistently for 3 months. that is a LOT of weight and i feel like her diet had to be the bare minimum and possibly she had to be breastfeeding. i dont think thats realistic for a normal, working individual and i felt like they need to give more info...

i do spin, turbo kick box, and SET which is a weights and cardio combination class. then i run and do the stairmill when i am on my own and of course i have my trainer who has us doing all kind of madness. whatever he dreams up lol

me and microbraids are not friends but im glad they work for you ladies. i have to stick with these curly q's i have naturally and weaves for in the winter.

cake - yay for pretty wedding sites! girl i used to walk in the gym with my wig on take it off in the locker room put a scarf on my head and walk out and work out lol! i kno ppl were confused!!

sweetshauna
08-07-2009, 02:43 AM
ladies, ladies, ladies, ladies ladeeeez lol

i :love: :love: :love: to spin! yes it hurts but the thing is they have seats which u can buy tht make it better and padded shorts. and truthfully i bought one and took it back. becus the bikes at the gym i go to have softer seats and its not that bad the bikes at my trainers place are horribly hard ugh. but the trick is u have to keep doing it and then by the 3rd time its not that bad. 2nd time is the worst after that its bearable. but the cardio and thigh and butt shaping benefits are worth it to meeeeee lol. LOVE IT! but i find that since i do it at least twice a week it doesnt hurt n e more!

I also ADORE spinning, and I totally agree with the third-time's-a-charm promise by brie. The only downfall I find with spinning is that it really does not proportionally work out your upper body, so it tones and firms your thighs, legs and butt, but really does very little for your arms and abdominals. Thats just my opinion though.

I swear by swimming, but this IS a black woman forum so I won't even go there. LOL. Which brings me to my next point...

me and microbraids are not friends but im glad they work for you ladies. i have to stick with these curly q's i have naturally and weaves for in the winter.

cake - yay for pretty wedding sites! girl i used to walk in the gym with my wig on take it off in the locker room put a scarf on my head and walk out and work out lol! i kno ppl were confused!!

Micros also did NOT work for me (I got them to swim, but found that they do not agree with water). I wont start the b*^ching and moaning again, but suffice it to say I'm taking them out next Thursday and not a moment too soon! Quite a few braids have fallen out of my hairline (maybe about 9 or 10) so I'm really worried that I'm going to have one of those hairlines that starts all the way back at the crown of my head :stress:. I hope not!

kiahna23
08-07-2009, 03:04 AM
Hey there! Im a gorgeous woman of color...I am half latina but I look black! lol....I understand the body image issue that we face...I dont have the stereotypical "black girl" shape and I am tormented about it...It hurts...I dont have hips and @ss but its okay....I love me....Its hard to stay the course when others constantly put you down....

Thanks for making this thread!

CakeBatter
08-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Kiahna _ WELCOME! We are glad to have you! I love this thread ....I can say what I want and they understand.....I don't have to break it down or talk in code...LOL

Shauna - I am so sorry about your braids. That totally sucks. As soon as I notice the fron even looking like it was going funny I took them out . But heh, they lasted two months for me. I agree with the upper body thing and spinning, which is why I didn't take it for a long time. But I love it and I thought like this....."biceps curls don't work my arse, so I must also do squats..." LOL

Brie - I have a question about your weaves. What type do you try and stick to. Like Curly, straight etc adn do you leave some of your hair out??? With the spinning, I don't know if I will ever get used to it but I will bear it cause it works up a sweat like I can't imagine. About your article, Okay I guess I missed the point didn't realize it was a gym newsletter. Eeeek! And heck yeah that is a lot that is why I said I would put effort into it but I doubt I would lose it in 3 months. I guess it is not realistic! And yes yay for wedding sites!!!! We chose the first one like I thought. Okay I thought I was the only one taking my wig off in the locker rooom!!!!!!

Matilda - Like you said, you know I do WW, but I wanted to still give you an idea of what I eat. Lots of fresh berries and leafy greens, bran buds cereal (my first love), sandwiches on whole wheat bread, lots of grilled meats and beans. Okay that was a sample I am not gonna bombard you anymore.

Beaka - we are so glad to hear from you. I am glad wverything went well and look forward to you being back online!

Devamama - Thanks!! You need not add Spinning....you do quite a bit yourself!

Well this morning I blew out my hair to really get a look see at how much it has grown. Pretty good. I am so excited to feel normal again and have my hair done tomorrow. I like wigs but only cause I want to not have to! To be honest with ya'll I just want to wrap hair and wear it down. But I just can't going to the gym! Sometimes I just don't want to go to they gym at all so I can wear my hair the way I want....*rant over*. Anyway I am hitting up the gym this evening while my boo gets his hair cut and I have NO IDEA for dinner as of right now! I hope ya'll have a great day. I love you ladies!!!!!

Devsmama
08-07-2009, 09:03 AM
shauna- I guess if my hair and braids started coming out I guess they would have to go to. But, mine have been great, so no complaints. My son is a swimmer, so he is always getting me in the pool, again, no complaints about my micros. My hair has grown about a half an inch or more since I've had them in.

bjeweled- good lord you do a lot! Now that you explain the article as a gym newsletter, thats sort of ridiculous to think you can lose 20lbs in a month and have a normal life.

matilda-thanks for the compliment. I eat basically what I want, but my tastes have changed drastically. I calorie count and I eat lots of fruit, some veggies, boiled egg whites, grilled chicken and fish and asparagus (natural dieuretic). Every once in a while I'll have some pasta or a steak hoagie and ice cream..but not often. Good luck on your running program.

beaka-glad the move was good. Look forward to hearing from you once you get settled.

:welcome3: kiahna

Cake: congrats on the pending nuptials and finding the best wedding site. I wish I could just wrap and go too. I love my hair! Good, then I can cross spinning off of the list..lol...My thighs and butt are thick enough, I don't need to pump them up anymore, I already lift 300lbs on the leg press machine and I can squat and deadlift 100lbs. :strong::lifter:

I have a nice 3 day weekend coming up. I have to take my son school shopping, ugh! Other than that, nothing else going on. You ladies have a good weekend.

Matilda08
08-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Kiahna WELCOME I'll be looking forward to getting to know you hun........and your right love yourself no matter what that is always key.

Cake- I see I see my hardest part is diet OMG I am such a bad girl when it comes to doing that. What has been working is that I just dont buy any junk food anymore. This week I did pretty good with diet though so hopefully it gets better, good luck with all wedding plans

Bjeweled those classes your taking sounds awesome keep it up girlie. LOL@ you taking your wig off once you got to the gym too funny

sweetshauna I actually love swimming but havent done any this summer. I dont even own a bathing suit and at the school that I attend I could go for free I guess eventually Ill hop on it because I know it works wonders for the whole body.

Devsmama thats impressive you better work

unstoppable
08-08-2009, 06:50 AM
I know I am prob mad late, but I love spin. It has totally transformed the shape of my body. At first the butt does hurt, but you get used to it. Well, not used to it, it was explained to me by one of the instructors that the butt hurts b/c at first you put all your weight on it when seated, when you want to kind of have your butt all the way to the back of the seat and let the legs accept the weight of the body.
Shauna I wish you could experience a spin class at my gym. They have you doing push-ups and all sort of crazy junk on the bike that would have your arms felling like jello. As for the abs, they should be constantly working (not in the sense of feeling like you did a million crunches) b/c they are whats keeping you on the bike. There should be no weight through the arms when holding the handle bars. The grip should be light and the abs are helping the legs to keep you on the bike. But I could use a swimming lesson or 2 b/c I have heard so many people say it is THE best overall cardio workout.
BTW- I got a new car and the wedding prep is almost done. I wish everyone would hurry up and send back their RSVPs.
Have a wonderful day WOC.

Matilda08
08-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Good morning ladies just checking in to say happy saturday. I am on my way to the gym in a little to do my couch25k running program. yesterday was an off day for me so Ill hit it up today. Well I hope you all have a great weekend

grneyedmustang
08-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Hey ladies! I've been a bit "off the radar" and my motivation has been suffering, but I'M BACK!!!!! I'm on Phase I this week, to try and get rid of the sugar cravings. I was on a cruise - just got back - and my eating was out of control. I did work out while I was on the ship, but I'm sure that was negated by the crap I ate during the cruise. It was worth it though!!!

Bjeweled, Sweetshauna, and Unstoppable, I'm a huge advocate of spin class. My legs are starting to look great due to that lovely bike. And your tush does get used to sitting on the seat....lol. I usually do some ab work (sometimes the instructor does it as a part of the class) to make sure I'm working on that area, too...it's my main problem area.

Welcome, kiahna23, you're not the only one in the "as*ily challenged" department. I'm hitting the squats and lunges to try and build one, and I'm seeing results, but I will never have the donk I've always wanted. LOL.

Cake, keep us posted with your hair progress. I have a weave right now (I've had it for two weeks) but I'm taking it out either today or tomorrow. Congrats on your pending nuptials!!!

Hey, Devsmama!!!! I see you're definitely kicking a** in the squats/leg press department.

Matilda, what kind of plan are you on? I am currently on South Beach; I've been on it since last June. I started on Weight Watchers, but carbs/sweets/bread are my "problem foods", so I felt that SB fit my needs better...because I am the queen of justification, and I felt that I might use all 28 points on chocolate cake because I "had a bad day". South Beach has definitely helped me "tame the carb monster"...because I definitely have one within.

Have a good weekend, ladies! It's off to the gym I go. :)

And a little off topic...since someone mentioned wigs, the week before last I was in spin class, and I have a drawstring ponytail I wear just to the gym...I put on my headband and my ponytail fell off! I tried to play it off and put it back on as quickly as possible, but I think a few people saw it fall off. :D

beaka
08-08-2009, 10:56 AM
YAY!!! I have cable and internet!!! This is the first time in history my cable dude has come early.

I feel so behind in all of the pages, but I see ya'll are talking about classes. I loved me some Turbo Kick. I'll be "gym shopping" soon. But I need to get a coupla paychecks first. I checked into some dance classes here to see if I could do pole, but drop in classes here are $30!!! I need to do more walking or something in the meantime. I REFUSE to let myself gain this weight back. I got on the scale this morning at 216 so I'm happy with that. For the next couple of weeks I'll be eating unhealthy food left from my parents being here. I'm too broke to go buy healthy food right now.

I hope all of you ladies are having a great weekend!!! Love you much!!!

Kiahna: :welcome:

beaka
08-08-2009, 11:01 AM
And a little off topic...since someone mentioned wigs, the week before last I was in spin class, and I have a drawstring ponytail I wear just to the gym...I put on my headband and my ponytail fell off! I tried to play it off and put it back on as quickly as possible, but I think a few people saw it fall off. :D

Ok, I just saw this :rofl: Sorry it happened to you, but that is funny! Let's tighten those drawstrings, ladies! :p

coco_chanell
08-08-2009, 01:16 PM
matilda-I do low carb.

mustang-OMG...too funny!

beaka-I know it feels good to be connected :D

I've kinda been neglecting to post alot on this thread becuase work has me super busy, but I do read it. I have managed to stay OP this week and thanks to the ladies that tagged me on the AC challenge thread I'm getting my exerise in :carrot:

I've been thinking about joining a turbo kickboxing class. I used to go about a year ago and loved it, but stopped due to finances. Maybe I need to make it fit into my budget because thats a great workout and stress release. So many of you speak highly of spinning so I'm gonna have to try that.

Matilda08
08-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Hello ladies!

I didnt go to the gym today I decided to take the day off. Im happy knowing that I went five times this week and twice I worked out for an hour and a half. Yesterday I really worked up a sweat so Im very proud of that. I did the treadmill and walked/jogged for thirty minutes then I did my weights. Hopefully ill see the scale go down, Im trying not to weigh in that often so we shall see lol

Matilda08
08-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Heeelllllllooooo! Please tell me someone is here lol

beaka
08-11-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm here! I'm here! :hug:

bjeweled
08-11-2009, 08:31 PM
i'm here but alas due to my stupid laptop i replied very nicely to everyone's posts and then poof it was gone :tantrum:

so when i get over it i will repost all of my lovely thoughts. i know u wanna hear them lol

CakeBatter
08-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Hey Ladies! I have been MIA since Friday and my belly shows it. I have sort of been "not as happy as usual" due to the fact that my wedding plans feel through due lack of parental finances. My fiance and I can not afford the wedding we were planning alone. So we are moving the party to Florida. Yay because getting married on the beach is awesome,.....not yay because I feel like it more of an awesome thought for me.....I wanted a totally different more traditional thing. Okay i am done whining. All this had led to terrible food judgement and no exercise. Yeah I know ......I have exactly 2 weeks and 5 days to my birthday and I REFUSE to be still in the 170's!

I hope everyone is having a great day thus far!

Matilda08
08-12-2009, 08:59 AM
beaka- how is everything? Are you staying on plan?

bjeweled- I hope your laptop starts working we need your motivation lol

cake-Im sorry to hear about your wedding plans, hopefully everything works out. I also start WW today. I may be coming to you for some advice from time to time I got a lot of info from my cousin and a friend of mine who does it. I am going to eventually go to one meeting because I want to at least experience that but they have lots of info on this site as well.

I have done great for the past week. Never mind my ticker its always off but I started at 247 in July when I had my training session now down to 242 this morning and I know it has a lot to do with diet I have been watching what I eat to the t for the past few days.

CakeBatter
08-12-2009, 09:14 AM
WTG Matilda on starting WW and being down 5 POUNDS! :carrot: That is great. You can ask me questions anytime....GL

unstoppable
08-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Cake-Tell me about it. My fiance and I are in the same situation, where we are paying for the wedding ourselves. It does suck, but your wedding can be and will be beautiful. I also feel you about being in the 170s. Enough is enough.

beaka
08-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Matilda: Yeah, I'm ok. I'm on plan. Ate pretty well today since I've been forcing myself to log my food again. Been doing a lot of walking.

Cake: It's ok to whine. It's your wedding and you only get one. Whatever kind you decide on, just make sure you and your fiance will be happy with it. :hug: And how far are you from Richmond? I was thinking about going to the Happily Nappily Day. And YAY for our birthdays coming! :D

So guess what I'm doing tonight. Speed dating. We'll see how that goes...

CakeBatter
08-13-2009, 06:20 AM
My fiance dragged me to the gym yesterday (because I did not want to go in all that rain) and squeezed out 5 miles. I am glad I went though because I was so down yesterday after my dad called to tell me he was glad I changed my plans since what I wanted to do was such a wasted of money....yay I was thinking eff you and get off my phone. But anyway the rest of the evening turned out fine. I have a WI tonight so I hope I am down a teensie bit. Have a great day ya'll!!!

Beaka - Speed dating....sounds interesting....I am only one hour away from Richmond! I would like to go...when is it. Thanks for letting me whine. And YES YAY FOR BIRTHDAYS!!!! GJ logging your food it is a very important part of ym dieting and I have come to realize that.

Unstoppable - Thank you. We plan on it being just the was WE want it.

Matilda08
08-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Hello ladies hope all is well!

Went to the gym this morning and killed it lol that low impact class was def a workout but as always it felt great after. I hope everyone is on track have a wonderful day

beaka
08-13-2009, 05:36 PM
CAKE: You know I'm slow! You cain't be using all those acronyms with me. It takes me a minute to process. :dizzy: Speed dating was cool. Most of the dudes were cool. Some of them were a bit too old for me. They're supposed to email you your matches tonight.

Hi, Matilda!

CakeBatter
08-14-2009, 06:35 AM
WI last night and I gained ANOTHER pound. THat is 3 pounds in the last month!!! Yeah I know I am tripping and I officially put my ticker BACK to 174....Booooo! But I think by looking at it that will be one way to help me stay focused. I think I am pretty focused now anyway since reality hit me ....not to mention my WW Leader said, "You have to stop all that Love Eating honey". I wanted to slapp the **** outta her bit instead I said...."I got my period". Effn B*tch. But I think it made me mad enuff to stay focused. Okay Have a great day guys.....

Beaka - THat is so funny! I used to spell EVERYTHING out. But between, here and texting wow! I learned alot of acronyms...lol

Matilda08
08-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Cake- sorry to hear about your 3lbs gain but as long as you get back on track you should be fine. I personally know that its harder to maintain weight then losing. Back in feb as I said before I was down to 220 two months later I was at 247 :( Its really a life time change thats why its so important for us to learn what active things we enjoy. Im sure you'll get back on track.

I brought my food scale yesterday and I feel good about that. Usually i dont work out on fridays but ill sign up for the beg cycling class for tomorrow morning.

How is everyone else doing? Have a great weekend

CakeBatter
08-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Matilda lately my problem has been writing stuff down. But I am on track Cause I was real salty yesterday! I think this month has been a reminder of how much of a lifestyle change this really was. I thought I already had that menatality but it seems that is oh so easy to slide back the way it was. Thankfully there was a guard rail up and I am working my way back before I got all the way to the bottom

A food scale is one of my most important tools. I am no good at eyeballing. I have a party to go to tomorrow (a cookout really) so I am going stuff myself with healthy nutritious food at home rt before I leave so I won't be tempted.

kwilli
08-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Hello Ladies, I have been looking over this thread and I see that you all are very supportive of each other. I am starting the Fat Smash Diet again and I wanted to set up a support group so that I can remain accountable. Right now I am at 174lbs and I have 3 weeks until my wedding. My goal is to lose at least 10 lbs in those 3 weeks and then continue the journey after I return from my honeymoon.

Nikki O
08-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Hello everyone! I have finally gotten serious about getting heathly and losing weight. I am hoping this forum will help give me the support that I need. I always have a problem getting really motivated, but I am tired of being overweight and unhealthy.

I am starting phase 1 of the Fat Smash diet on Monday! Any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Matilda08
08-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Last year when I first started to lose weight I started with the fat smash and in the first nine days lost 12lbs i was also walking for 45mins five times a week. I keep telling myself that I am going to do detox at least twice before the year ends because its a good way to detox since our just eating natural and healthy but its so much of a mind thing you have to be focused lol

CakeBatter
08-15-2009, 07:01 AM
I also have done the Fat Smash. As Matilda said it such a mind thing. The diet is awesome and Phase 1 is definitely the hardest but if you can make it through the first 9 days then it is smooth sailing from there. Another to consider is the 4 day diet which is a diet created by the same author, Dr. Ian Smith. I prefer the 4 day over The Fat Smash myself becuase it broken down into (you guessed it) 4 day modules and it just FEELS like its easier. Of course there still is no meat on the detox module. There is a Fat Smash thread on these forums and also Brie/ Bejweled is a friggin expert on Fat Smash. She is on vaca for few days but will back next week.

Kwilli - Hello Neighbor. I live NN, VA. Welcome and GL on your new lifestyle. Since you are just starting and usually lose the most weight in the beginning it is definitely feasible to lose the 10 pounds.

Nikki- Welcome Lady. GL with Phase one!

Well I have been doing awesome. I had to really sit down and think about why I would want to sabotage my efforts. Once I got my thoughts and frustrations down with WL on paper. I was a whole new focused person, who is ready to continue losing weight. YAY me! Oh the bad WI wasn't all that bad it really was my cycle. Hallelujah for that. Have a great weekend ladies.

beaka
08-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Hey, ya'll!! You got me thinking about doing the detox. I have the fat smash diet book, so I know what that book says. I'm going to have to look into this 4-day plan. I've decided to go to Atlantic City for my birthday, so I'm trying to look GOOD! ;)

Kwilli and Nikki O: :welcome2:

JasonsLea
08-15-2009, 04:39 PM

I have nothing good to post about so :grouphug:

Matilda08
08-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Beaka and anyone else that is doing the fatsmash can you post the info about the EFS Ive been on that forum and didnt get it lol I had the book for the regular fat smash I would like to try the extreme to see what happens. Is there a detox on that EFS?

Does anyone do strenght training and if so how often are you doing it and for how long? I do it about three times a week on days when I do my cardio I usually add in a half hour for strenght training. Im am trying to avoid as much flab as possible lol

For you gals who have lost a great amount of weight how do you feel about your flab....ie love handles, inner theighs etc?

beaka
08-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Matilda: I think theres is detox on all of them. I don't think I'll be going by it strictly. But I will be eating mostly veggies/fruits, some whole grains, and not sure if I will be eating seafood. I can't do something that seems too restrictive, but I'm keeping my calories low.

Breakfast: Special K with almond milk
Snack: Went to an olive oil workshop at Williams Sonoma today, so I ended up tasting lots of different ones with a piece of bread.
Lunch: Salad (spring mix, 2 roma tomatoes, 1 celery stalk, olives, feta cheese, mushrooms, and light dressing), diet pepsi.
Planned snack: peach, apple sauce
Planned dinner: Leftover whole wheat couscous and chickpea curry with veggies.

This would be totally wrong for calling myself a Fat Smasher, but it works for me and when I take in a lot of veggies and whole grains and drink my water that works for me.
I'm sure Brie will want to beat me with a stick when she comes back. :)

As for the strength training, I heard weight training for dummies was a good book to look at if you're trying to learn on your own.

JasonsLea: :hug:

Matilda08
08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Actually I do strenght training at the gym. They give you two personal training sessions each year included in membership so I have been doing that along with my cardio.I usually do it three times a week for thirty mins.

I was just wondering if any of you gals do it as well?

JasonsLea
08-16-2009, 04:29 PM

Don't you just love it when you have a good week plan-wise then TOM comes along the night before your WI? >.<

Here's to a hopefully better week. :cheers:

grneyedmustang
08-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi Matilda! I usually do between 30 to 40 minutes of strength training, along with cardio. I've lost 50 pounds so far, but I still have major problem areas, especially my midsection. It's gotten smaller, but I've got a long way to go. I'd also like to tone up my arms more...and I'd like a bigger butt (hopefully the squats and lunges will pay off there).

Hey Beaka, Kwili, and Nikki! :wave:

Jasonslea, good luck with your weigh in! Gotta love p.dot (that's my friend's code name for TOM. I told her I was stealing it. :D )

Cakebatter, those 3 pounds could be anything...is it your TOM? Have you been eating food with a lot of sodium? The scale acts crazy with me if I eat a lot of sodium in one day.

I just finished 30 DS and my arms feel like jello! I'm excited about my dinner tonight though....lemon dill salmon with faux cream sauce, sauteed spinach, and peas. :)

beaka
08-16-2009, 10:35 PM
How do you make faux cream sauce?

Matilda08
08-16-2009, 11:24 PM
grneyedmustang- I hate my arms lol I think my arms is the part of my body I hate most so I have been working on them like crazy.

This week should be interested please pray for me because Im trying to challenge myself and do seven hours of cardio I usually do five but I need a big week. I would like to see 235 asap lol!

grneyedmustang
08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
How do you make faux cream sauce?

This is the recipe I use for the faux cream sauce: http://www.recipezaar.com/South-Beach-Salmon-With-Creamy-Lemon-Sauce-109817

I must admit, the sauce is not visually appealing, but it tastes great. And I'm not a fan of fat free sour cream, so I use reduced fat sour cream instead. I also omit the capers :D

CakeBatter
08-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Yo Chicas!!!!! I have been so good this weekend. Plus I have 10 miles to run today. AND I worked out the weekend. I have to admit it was a bit of a struggle yesterday when I wanted to do mindless snacking my the fiance is helping me out with that.

Matilda - I do weight training 3 X's a week. I use thos "nautilus type" machines. I have lost 44 pounds so far and I have still inner thighs that I would like to look better and i STILL hate my tummy. Its ugly and saggy. I like my arms though.....IDK guess its the push ups.

Greeneyed - Yea turns out my "p.dot" did show up. So yeah that could be it. Like how I stole that rt? hehe. I keep saying I am going to try 30DS but I just haven't gotten around to it

Beaka - You know the deal "Do what woeks for YOU" young lady. Glad you have a plan. And Atlantic City huh? That is gonna be fun!

jasonslea - :wave:

Matilda08
08-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Any readers on here? I read a lot and have read so many books, anyone else read. Also is anyone in NJ or on the east coast?

Any facebook sister on here? I have a facebook page

tikanique
08-17-2009, 05:20 PM
So how did I miss this thread? This is a wonderful idea. I remember wanting to CHOKE my daughters pediatrician for calling her "fat." The child is just solid, she cheers and does gymnastics and I would almost kill to have her legs and rear. Oh well, it is what it is.

I'm trying to stick to 1400 calories a day, cardio 6 days a week and weight lifting 4 days a week. I'm on day 10 and am hitting the exercise goals, but missing the calorie goals -i'm coming up short. This worries me because in the past when I've gone too low, I ended up losing my willpower and then going on a binge. I have about 60 lbs I need to shed from my 5'2 frame so it's gonna take a lot of work, discipline and organization.

unstoppable
08-17-2009, 05:50 PM
im in nj, and i have facebook.lol

beaka
08-17-2009, 08:44 PM
grneyed: Thanks for the recipe!

Tikanique: SO glad you could join us! :)

Matilda: I do read a good bit.

I had a good veggie filled, water chuggin day. And I did my core secrets DVD, so I'm feeling like I'm back in the game. :carrot:

Matilda08
08-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Unstoppable what part of NJ- Im in Central NJ I live in Somerset county

Matilda08
08-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Tikanique- WELCOME!!!!!

tikanique
08-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I took the Crew to the gym and the Girl just straight showed out. She FORCED me to get on the treadmill and then ran for 12 straight minutes on 5.1. I just huffed and puffed alongside her but I didn't give up. I got my 40 minutes in too. I am so amazed at how strong and healthy she is and so proud. When I grow up, I think I wanna be HER!!

CakeBatter
08-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Unstoppable - How are your plans coming? How do youhave your hair in the 'avi" it looks nice but i can't see it close up....

Tikanique - Welocme. Glad to have you.

Matilda - I love reading. What if we started a "WOC Book to Read" thread. Whenever one of use finds a good book we add it to the list....IDK something like that

Beaka - I am happy you are put back together..

I had a great ON TRACK day muhself! I went out for a run and in 88 degree weather 81% humidity @ 5:00 and uhm started hyperventilating. I almost passed out but I made it 40 minutes....eeek. :carrot:

Matilda08
08-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi Ladies!

This week is a push myself to the limit week. Its also TOM but Im not giving up. I went to the gym last night and this morning it was so hot that lastnight I couldnt finish the class I felt like I was going to pass out. So I got myself together but I did get a hour working including my strenght training

This morning I did NOT feel like going but went anyway and just walked on the treadmill for 45 mins Im planning on going back tonight so hopefully it all works out.

Cake- a book club or something would be awesome I am always reading books.

Where is everyone I hope we dont lose this thread! Have a fantastic day

tikanique
08-18-2009, 02:04 PM
hi all,

we had a salad / dessert potluck at work today. I planned ahead, brought my own spinach, fiber one cereal to replace croutons, low fat cheese and grilled chicken. I'm kinda funny about eating at potlucks, go figure. I also brought a healthy dessert so I can socialize with my co-workers, stay on track with my eating and also enjoy myself.

Of course now that I'm stuffed on salad I want to take a nap! LOL.

Gym tonight / chest triceps and cardio - the Crew will not let me out of it.

Regarding a book club, what types of books do you all read?

beaka
08-18-2009, 05:22 PM
First off, CAKE. Although we are all for gettin' the workout in, I do NOT wanna get a message one day that you were found passed out on the sidewalk somewhere!!!

Tikanique: Sounds like you are on it! :carrot:

A book club would be cool. I do try to read ones with actual substance though. Not the black-woman-finds-hot-mandingo-to-sweep-her-off-her-feet novels.

Today has been ok for me. Got off track by eating 3 cookies, but other than that it's been ok.

tikanique
08-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi ladies!!! Back from the gym, got the chest tri split in and also did a kickbox jam class with the Girl - too much fun!!!

I had a myoplex lite shake as soon as I got home and will eat dinner once the Boy gets home from shooting hoops.

Cake, I agree with Beaka, be careful - the heat isn't anything to play with.

Beaka, back AWAY from the cookie jar!!! :-)

Books? I like murder mystery, science fiction, and yes, Regency England historic romance novels where it's a scandal if the woman shows a bit of ankle while getting in a carriage. LOL!!! It's my deepest shame but I can't help it. Best book I ever read was Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsley. It was about a missionary, his wife and 4 daughters that lived in the Congo in the 1940s. Made me laugh, cry, get angry, relate, you name it. It was written from the various perspectives of the females in the story and was Oprah's book list some years ago.