Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Question about pant sizes

I wear a 14, and I looked up the measurements for a 14 and it said it's a 31-32" waist and 41.5-42.5" hips. I measured myself and got a 38" waist and 44" hips. O_O So how is it my 14's are starting to get loose around the WAIST if I'm like 7 inches above what it says?!??!?! Clothing confuses me..... -_-
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

Women's clothing sizes make no sense but I hope this helps ...
Clothing sizes and measurements need to be checked per manufacturer and sometimes even per line from the same manufacturer.
Take swimsuits, for example. Speedo, Nike, Dolfin and Tyr all have their own sizing charts, none of which match a standard sizing chart - and none of their sizing charts match each other's. For the most part, a manufacturer's size chart will be accurate for the current year - unless they got an off batch from China or South Africa or where ever they're having item X made this year - but check again next year before ordering to make sure nothing has changed. They can also have a totally separate set of measurements for different fabric lines such as polyester or lycra.
Street clothing is equally complex. Size 14 would be different from a size 14W and that's not even taking into account that some manufacturers do vanity sizing and size down. A size 14 would be labeled a 12. It's better for sales.
And if you checked the manufacturer website of the clothes that don't fit and it's still clear as mud, well, at least we can all cheer you on that your clothes are getting loose! YAY you!
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

I've tried several 14's from different brands in my closet and they all fit equally about the same (and not 14W, just 14) so I assumed it was just a safe assumption to make in general. It's just the waist measurements that confuse me. I have a big waist, I know that. That's why I have skinny legs, non-fat arms, not-too-fat face... because it's almost ALL in my midsection. I just can't figure out why my big waist can fit into 14's with the measurements I have... odd.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/ticker/170

Height: 5" 10'

My clothes have started getting a bit big because i've lost a bit, so I got my hubby to drag down a suitcase of old clothes i'd consigned to the attic as they were too small.

I've got so many sizes in there from uk size 20 jeans to size 16. Some fit some don't but they are all different sizes. Even jeans from the same shop are different a pair of size 18 from Monsoon didn't fit but the 16 ones do.

I just don't understand the sizing's at all. I'm just happy that they all didn't fit me and now they do!!
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #5  

Height: 5'11"

I've given up trying to figure out pants sizing. I just take two pairs of each style (the size I just left and the size I hope to be in) into the dressing room and hope one of them fits. Last week I took a whole armload of pants in with me; some of the 16's fit perfectly and the others -- the ones I could get up over my thighs -- look like they were spray-painted on. I have one pair of work pants in a 16 that are so huge I had to quit wearing them because I was afraid they would literally fall off; if they still made those, I am sure I could wear a 14.

It looks like you're tall like I am, so I suppose we should just feel lucky that we can find pants long enough and not worry too much what the size says! BTW, I am looking at your stats--well done. You are making great progress and you are merely days away from your "Weight I Can Tell People" goal!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote